Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

I know, right? They could have chosen something a little shorter than #StorybrookeGetsFrozenOver though. #StorybrookIsFrozen? #OnceIsFrozen? Or switch those "is"'s out with "gets".

Does anyone even use the hashtags TV shows and networks insist on flashing at us every five minutes anyway? All I ever see is people doing #nameofTVshow -- if that. Personally, I flat out refuse to use any hashtag a business or product or marketing person tells me to use.

I have spent all day randomly giggling, because I just keep picturing Regina running around Storybrooke, trying to drive, or ordering some eggs and bacon at Granny's, all while wearing her full on Evil Queen outfit, including head piece. The comedy just writes itself.  

• Love 2

That should've been an easter egg on the dvd.

Yeah! Why the hell don't they put that stuff in? They surely have LOTS of unused and reharsal footage. It costs them nothing to put them in, and it would make the fans SO HAPPY. It's pure laziness.

I hope the guy puts online the footage of the 321 CS dance, too. If I know the OUAT fandom, he's about to be bombarded by strongly worded requests.

• Love 1

For the number and statistics and media trend geeks among us:

Some interesting, simple social media data about performance of some of the regular cast of Once on Social Media (Twitter, Tumblr). More for fun than useful for serious research (sorry, have my social-sciencist-worked-in-marketing-googles on)

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500023/Jennifer-Morrison

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500024/Lana-Parrilla

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500021/Ginnifer-Goodwin

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500025/Josh-Dallas

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500027/Robert-Carlyle

http://whatpplthink.com/person/500029/Colin-O'Donoghue

numbers for the last day:

http://whatpplthink.com/celebrities/range/1

They don't just register number of tweets but do what is called a sentiment analysis. Based on assigning sentiments (positive, negative, neutral) to words. Has some pitfalls. When wicked is meant as compliment but counted as negative comment... If you go in the menu to Compare you can compare up to 5 people.

Here another search for trending on Twitter for the leading ladies of the show:

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=Lana%20Parrilla&q2=Jennifer%20Morrison&q3=Ginnifer%20Goodwin&via=Topsy

And this is a look at Once trending on Twitter, did it for CaptainSwan, SwanQueen and OUat, but you can change the search.

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=CaptainSwan&q2=SwanQueen&q3=ouat&via=Topsy

That should've been an easter egg on the dvd.

As interesting as insights of writers and cast are, I find it always as interesting to learn more about the work of the crew, tidbits like this dance rehearsal, costumes , make-up and more. But I am someone who would love to see a 30 minutes special about the foley artists of the show or the organisational tasks of logistic people, about the lightning crew and get more insight into the photography, why take the shots like they do, framing, lighting, the simple art of filmmaking. And would like to get a better idea of the huge effort that goes into filming just one scene with all the things that have to be there in the right time and set up the right way. (I am tired of all the CGI specials in DVDs. has become boring, by now would find it even more interesting to shadow a coffee service on set for a day).

• Love 2

katusch -- Thanks for those social media numbers. I found it really interesting to see how much support Jennifer and Lana get compared to the rest of the cast, although I do wonder how much of that is because of the AfterEllen Swan Queen stuff [which was covered extensively even by us in the fandom thread].

And I also think it would be cool to have them add in some more BTS stuff to the DVDs. But overall, the extras have been so meh -- they can't even do bloopers right apparently. I also wish they would include promos and episode ads on the DVDs. They've been made, they're short and yet still kind of interesting. I have the X-Files series box set and the ads were included. They were very cool to see because the show started in the early '90s so promo styles have totally changed. Plus, you could see how they spun the show for ads and compare it to what that episode would be known for now. So yea, I just have no idea why ABC is going so lazy with the DVD extras. I didn't even consider buying the DVDs -- I have too many already anyway -- but I would've if there were good extra on there. I mean, they didn't even include the Welcome to Storybrooke extras!

• Love 2
I am tired of all the CGI specials in DVDs. has become boring, by now would find it even more interesting to shadow a coffee service on set for a day

The need to have a special on the "Leaf Lady".  She's awesome and it certainly isn't a subject that has been done to death.

They could also do an interesting special on how they dress the town.

Yeah! Why the hell don't they put that stuff in? They surely have LOTS of unused and reharsal footage. It costs them nothing to put them in, and it would make the fans SO HAPPY. It's pure laziness.

Hmm, I think "laziness" is a bit unfair -- I think the actors probably wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Part of the creative process is having the freedom to mess around and try different things and screw up with the reassurance that it won't be seen by anyone or make it into the final product. I think they deserve the space and privacy to do that. (Plus it would be extra work for the crew to film and record them rehearsing, which they don't usually do). In this case, I think it was probably the choreographer's footage, and they agreed to let him use it to help him promote himself. 

Hmm, I think "laziness" is a bit unfair -- I think the actors probably wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Part of the creative process is having the freedom to mess around and try different things and screw up with the reassurance that it won't be seen by anyone or make it into the final product. I think they deserve the space and privacy to do that. (Plus it would be extra work for the crew to film and record them rehearsing, which they don't usually do). In this case, I think it was probably the choreographer's footage, and they agreed to let him use it to help him promote himself. 

I still think the lack of extras is very, very lazy. Okay, even if reharsal scenes are out - there are some shows that have 10 minutes of bloopers. OUAT S3 has less than 2. They can't find 10 minutes the actors wouldn't mind sharing, out of what's literally weeks and weeks of footage?

Plus, they recorded after-episode podcasts for S2. What would it have cost them to add them to the DVDs? And why did they stop with that, anyway?

Dan Harmon from Community recorded commentaries for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. The Outlander writer releases commentaries for every single episode. OUAT couldn't even try for 11 out of 22? 

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1
Plus, they recorded after-episode podcasts for S2. What would it have cost them to add them to the DVDs? And why did they stop with that, anyway?

Dan Harmon from Community recorded commentaries for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. The Outlander writer releases commentaries for every single episode. OUAT couldn't even try for 11 out of 22?

Breaking Bad also did an hour long podcast commentary for every episode. It was great getting inside info from Vince Gilligan and some of the other writers and it made watching that series so much more enjoyable. (Man, do I miss that show!) But honestly, I think the reason we don't get the show runner/writer commentary for every episode of Once is because... well... the writing is pretty bad. I don't think the writers could actually go back and re-watch every episode and defend their writing decisions because they'd have to accept the fact that their writing is full of plot holes, inconsistencies, and some really bad dialogue. 

• Love 4

They seem pretty deluded about their own writing, so I bet they'd be like "and Woegina getting the most powerful white magic EVER was the climax of her awesome character development over the last three seasons."

• Love 5

Do we really want to hear more delusional sound bites from A&E? Gems like, Woegina never raped Graham cause we didn't see penetration onscreen, bratty Snow murdered Cora, the wood taser is our biggest regret ever, etc. All their interviews aka the Woegina worshipping sermons aren't enough?

I rather have the behind the scenes stuff like that dance rehearsal or the wardrobe people. How awesome was it that they picked a crocodile shoe for Emma when Rumple was playing "god father?" We would've never known stuff like that if it wasn't for actors' tweet and whatnot. I'd like to hear the wardrobe people on Snow and Belle's clothes. Or the directors in the episodes. I rather hear their thoughts than A&E.

• Love 5

Just doing a final reminder in case anyone hasn't gotten the memo, but the Frozen special is on ABC tonight at 8/7c. It's going to have an exclusive sneak peek of Anna, Elsa and Kristoff on Once Upon a Time S4!

Hope to "see" some of y'all there! ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

From tv by number

TV Ratings Tuesday: 'America's Got Talent' & 'Extreme Weight Loss' Down, 'Food Fighters' Steady, 'The Story of Frozen' Solid

On ABC, special The Story of Frozen garnered a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating.

I guess it is good for Once season 4

Dunno the original source, but posted here:

ABC will air a recap special, “Storybrooke Has Frozen Over” on Sunday, September 28th before the season 4 premiere. They will also re-air the season 3 finale, “There’s No Place Like Home” on Semptenber 21st.
  • Love 1

That's from the official ABC schedule (PDF file here confirms it)

I'm betting we won't get talk show info until the week of the premiere. I hope they send 3/4 actors for a day of press together like when they promoted 3B, instead of just sending Ginny or Jen to do one talk show alone.

"Storybrooke Has Frozen Over" is a lame tag line... Still don't get why they chose it. 

I guess they wanted the actual word "Frozen" in there (and if you've got it, flaunt it, I guess), which limits their options somewhat.

I hope they send 3/4 actors for a day of press together like when they promoted 3B, instead of just sending Ginny or Jen to do one talk show alone.

I was just thinking earlier it would make good sense to do so. The talk shows will probably want to talk to the "real life" Elsa or Anna, but neither actress has much star cachet on their own. It would make sense to send one or two of the Frozen actors and one or two of the more famous cast members. 

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1

KingOfHearts, yes, they usually run at least the previous season's finale the week before the new season's premiere. In years past (I want to say the S1-S2 hiatus) I think they actually ran two weekends of two episodes before the premiere even.

I guess they wanted the actual word "Frozen" in there (and if you've got it, flaunt it, I guess), which limits their options somewhat.

Yeah I get that, but "Storybrooke Is Frozen" or "Storybrooke Has Frozen" makes more sense to me. That "over" feels so unnecessary. Even the announcer said it in the promo he said it as, "Storybrooke has frozen... ... ... over."

Edited by KingOfHearts

Yeah I get that, but "Storybrooke Is Frozen" or "Storybrooke Has Frozen" makes more sense to me. That "over" feels so unnecessary. Even the announcer said it in the promo he said it as, "Storybrooke has frozen... ... ... over."

Too bad they couldn't use "Winter is coming..."  ;-)

• Love 3

Colin and Sean (and possibly Robert, though he's not pictured) at a Whitecaps game.

Where should stuff like this go? Is this the right place for it? It's not really media, but.... I thought about one of their character threads, but then I thought this might be better.

ETA: Lana was there too.

Edited by Souris

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. A CS fan created Captain Swan tea at adagio, with lovely carton art by clokadile on tumblr!! Even Jen and Colin tweeted about it. I'm tempeted, but am not a fan of coconut in tea. Decisions... decisions...

http://i-love-you-swan.tumblr.com/post/97361241774/emmuhswan-scribblecat27-geekalogian

Ha!  I'm in the same boat, Rumsy.  Only I'm a little hesitant over the cinnamon added to the Irish Breakfast blend...I love a good straight up Irish Breakfast, but cinnamon can quickly become overwhelming in tea, imo.  hmmm...then again, there's never been a tea that I've absolutely hated so much that I couldn't get it down.  Let's be honest.  It's really the little tin that I want!

• Love 1

Seriously? She must be a truly wonderful person if she doesn't totally hate people by now.

Amen to that. I'd be running screaming from Twitter at this point if I were her. I hope she's muted the chronic asshats who tweet her.

The tea sounds utterly lovely to me, though I'm with Lieutenant in the cinnamon hesitancy; it can be overwhelming. But I'm a total tea slut -- I'm quite certain I have literally 50 different kinds in my home at the moment.

• Love 1

The tea sounds utterly lovely to me, though I'm with Lieutenant in the cinnamon hesitancy; it can be overwhelming. But I'm a total tea slut -- I'm quite certain I have literally 50 different kinds in my home at the moment.

Cinnamon can easily take over, so depends on how much they used. Irish Breakfast seems to bring in something tardy but all in all it sounds rather sweet to me, too sweet, Would add a touch of chili to it.

Some interesting blends there. A Sharknado tea, lol And some more Once Upon a Time teas, Red/Ruby seems quite popular among these tea geeks.

Edited by katusch