Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

They have a marketing budget. Once shot that promo that didn't contain any actual scenes from an episode. That costs money. I'm also guessing most of the marketing is going to be centered around Frozen, as it should be. My guess is they believe the current viewers are loyal and will tune into the show anyway. The goal is to get new eyeballs.

The promo materials, like cast photos are just talking points. They get the show a mention or article in the media. They don't have an endless supply of information to give out and photos are an easy way to do that. But Once doesn't really need that right now. They have Elsa and Frozen that the media will just glom onto.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised we didn't get any. If I remember correctly, the black background photos were released between 3A and 3B so they're not that old. And most shows don't get photos each season -- I know Castle has skipped seasons before. And you also have to remember the focus this season -- they have spent a lot of money promoting then Frozen angle. They even had a huge Frozen wrap on the side of Petco Park at Comic Com, which I don't think they did last year. So I have no problem with them skipping this season.

Jean -- I forgot about the promo they shot, which I also think they haven't done in years past. So again, I'm sure it's just them using their promo money in a different way this season.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

I have to believe ABC has just chosen to throw all its money at Frozen. Which will end up biting them in the ass in 412, likely.

Maybe, though I would also argue a lot of the press and attention they've gotten has only been because of Frozen -- I doubt TV Guide would have done a Once cover otherwise, for instance (unless the cover of TV Guide is 100% for sale, which it might be).

I have to believe ABC has just chosen to throw all its money at Frozen. Which will end up biting them in the ass in 412, likely.

I'm actually curious how they'll market each season from now on. Will they keep relying on these half-season gimmicks and ignore the main cast when they promote the show? I feel at some point, there's going to be some kind of brand dilution. Are the casual viewers going to be upset when they realize they only tuned into 4A to watch Frozen and come to watch 4B with story whiplash? Will they even stick around longer than 2 episodes?

That's why I think the marketing leading up to this Frozen arc would have been so much stronger if they had the entire main cast do some frozen landscape style promotional shots, too. I don't doubt that their Frozen-focused marketing on Elsa and Anna is going to draw in huge numbers for the premier, and I agree that's probably what's going to bring in the biggest crowd, but the creative director in me gets frustrated when there's so much potential for some amazing frozen/snow/ice/tundra marketing campaigns that could include the entire cast.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

You don't want to overwhelm the newbies to Once.  I think their strategy is to keep it simple so that all Frozen fans will see is Elsa and Anna, gotta check that out. Whereas if you stuck the entire cast on there with Elsa and Anna, it'll create confusion and questions. Then instead of "we have to check out Elsa and Anna" it's "should we check this new show out with a gajillion characters, that has Elsa and Anna in it?"

The numbers part of me is really curious to see how big a pop culture force Frozen really is. And what Once looks like before, during and after should be quite revealing.

I think it's a cert that the first ep will get really good numbers (though I do wonder how many totally fresh viewers will just vow to check it out on Hulu or DVR, rather than tune in live), but yeah, I am also interested in how many of them will stick around. The limited spoilers we have so far make me cautiously optimistic some will stick around at least for 4a (though I think a large number will tune in just to catch live action Anna and Elsa with no intention of watching again and I doubt there's much they can do about that), but 4b... I dunno.

• Love 1
Jean -- I forgot about the promo they shot, which I also think they haven't done in years past. So again, I'm sure it's just them using their promo money in a different way this season.

Actually, they did shoot a separate promo once before, for Season 2. It was the combined Once/Revenge/666 Park Ave promo, and it remains (imo) probably the best promo for Once ever. (God, even the promo is better than S2 was!) Also, watching it reminds me of just how much this season's promo video is a knockoff of the S2 video, heh.

But again, they got the promo video+the excellent promo photographs between S1 and S2, when the ratings were still excellent.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

I'll admit to being perfectly happy to have them focus on Frozen all they can. I only care about Emma these days and since she can't be on screen for the entire episode, every time she's not I'd MUCH RATHER see some Frozen plot line or Frozen flashbacks as opposed to watching Rumpel and Belle portray domestic abuse as the ultimate love, Regina be unable to deal with losing her boyfriend of 3 days, Regina hailed as a saint, Regina crying, Henry telling Regina she's the best Mother ever (nevermind 2 seasons of child abuse), Snow completely failing to connect with Emma and treating her badly, Snow acting like she's a terrible person but Regina's fantastic, or Emma and Hook making googly eyes at each other.

I've loved Georgina Haig since Fringe so if her getting major screentime means less of ALL of the above, rock on show. Frozenify it all.

Give me Emma, Emma and Charming father/daughter moments, Emma and her little brother or give me Frozen. 

Adorable little Roland connecting with his Mommy Marian is also acceptable. Please show, don't make me hate him as much as Henry by having him cling to Regina.

Edited by Aliasscape

Maybe, though I would also argue a lot of the press and attention they've gotten has only been because of Frozen -- I doubt TV Guide would have done a Once cover otherwise, for instance (unless the cover of TV Guide is 100% for sale, which it might be).

Once got both a TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly cover. Both those mags have even given covers to CW shows in the past, so it's not really a stretch. Also, whatever faults OUAT has, it's got a really passionate fanbase who would go out and buy the mag without a second thought if it featured pretty pictures of the actors. 

Adam is saying on Twitter that "the cast" will be at the premiere! I'm hopeful that means most of the main cast, maybe except Jared and Robert if he really can't be bothered.

Edited by Serena

Colin is going to be on Good Day LA on Monday morning so I'm assuming that means he'll also be at the premiere the night before. I'm really hoping it will be a good interview but considering it's Good Day LA, it could also be a complete train wreck.

And Jen just tweeted about being in LA at an art gallery, so I'm betting she'll be there too. I checked the schedules of the usual ABC shows, like Jimmy Kimmel, The View and GMA, but none of the Once actors are scheduled there. It's possible they'll be added later, but they aren't on the official press releases.

• Love 1

Looks like Spoiler TV took it from here, which was actually posted Thursday. But given ABC doesn't seem to be pushing this elsewhere, yeah, I'd say either some affiliates (this affiliate, this one, and this one have it as well) got sent the release too early, or it was supposed to be embargoed until a later date but some outlets didn't read the instructions properly. The text says "Are you ready for Sunday's season premiere of Once Upon A Time?" which would be an odd thing to write given the day these sites published it, "Sunday" would refer to today. I'm going to guess this was all supposed to go up tomorrow. 

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1

You pretty much beat me to it, retrograde, SpoilerTV ususally refers to another source (it's part of their charm, they scan the web for spoilers for people like us). Just adding that they mention in the info as well, that one can see an extended sneak peek for SHIELD, and the premiere episode for "Selfie" before it airs. It's pretty much to promote the Watch App by ABC and not particular about OUaT. So would expect the long sneak into the first episode earliest tonight,  with / after the prem party.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

It seems like literally everyone who ever had a line on Once is there.

Given most non-regulars are probably in LA anyway, it is a smart move to bulk out the guest list with them. Pretty much guarantees they'll all be tweeting and instagramming the whole thing.

• Love 2

I have to say, as much fun as it can be to rag on ABC's publicity dept, doing this a week before the TV premiere is a pretty smart move. It pretty much guarantees all the TV and entertainment media will be running interviews and photos all week long. Given just how many big shows are returning or premiering this week, that is no mean feat. 

• Love 4

Apparently even Eion Bailey is there? So the rumors of him and Once parting on less than amicable terms must be false. Or he really needs the free publicity. I wonder if MRJ will be there?

Didn't Jennifer Morrison make some mention on her Twitter recently that he was filming overseas?

It seems like literally everyone who ever had a line on Once is there.

Haha, I was joking anyone who has ever breathed near the set of Once...

I've not seen any photographic proof of Eion Bailey.

I don't see Beverley Elliott or Meghan Ory either.

I'm sorry for sounding mean, but why does Ginnifer Goodwin wear such unflattering colors? I thought it was just the Show's wardrobe department that had given up on her, but her personal style has been tending towards some odd choices.

Edited by Rumsy4

Same. I wish Robert would leave so I could quit this dumb ass show. Oh well here's hoping he goes "in episode 11 this will happen" to someone in the media line.

And Georgina looks fierce. She carries herself well. I would buy her as royalty in a way no one else on the show has come close to.

Edited by Jean