Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

I agree RadioGirl, that they shouldn't be focusing on just Frozen. Are we ever going to get season 4 promo photos? I do think harnessing the power of the fans for promotion is smart, even if it seems ridiculous. That's how you do social media marketing.

I actually think that new poster is pretty nice, especially the eyes. Although the apple sorta looks like it has mold on it instead of snow!

They should probably do a less Frozen-focused ad closer to the night to remind current viewers the show is returning, but I think as far as photos and such, Frozen is the best place to put their resources. Promotional photos and such aren't technically for fans, they're for the media, and the media is far, far and away most interested in covering the Frozen angle than anything else.  

The apple pisses me off too. It's like they photoshopped Regina off of one of their old posters, put someone resembling Elsa in there, and tacked on some ice special effects to it.

I think you just described someone's activities last Friday afternoon 4pm-5pm before rushing off work.

• Love 4

I actually really like that poster in and of itself, but I agree that it's also boring because it's yet another rehash of something we've already seen. Apparently the promo/marketing people are taking their cue from the writers and are just going to endlessly rehash the great stuff they put out in S1, making it worse and worse every single time they do so.

• Love 3

The first Elsa one was reminiscent of the Emma S2 poster with her back to the viewer.  I think the instructions from the higher-ups were "Look at these S1, S2 and S3 posters and infuse them with Frozen.  Get to it."

Edited by Camera One

I don't blame them for focusing on Frozen. It's huge compared to anything on Once combined. They've gotten more free media coveage from Frozen than they ever have before.

I'll be interested to see what the ratings are going to look like and if they'll be able to sustain it. That'll be the true measuring stick.

• Love 1

I find that poster quite telling, It's Elsa, Frozen, but with the apple a clear reminiscence to promotional stuff they did with the Evil Queen before, can't help but think, that Elsa and Regina are seen as so alike. Two misunderstood women.

Think I'm about to develop an apple allergy on sight.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 5

I feel that focussing promotion solely or primarily on Frozen is a mistake. For one, even if brand new viewers start watching the show in its fourth season, the frozen characters alone are not enough to keep them watching. If they can't follow the OUAT stories, no amount of frozen is going to keep them tuneing in. Unless every episode has a recap of all the main characters' backstories, most new viewers will get lost and bored.

The other thing is--it's for a half-season arc. I highly doubt any ratings increase is going to be sustainable. Unless they manage to lure in a fresh batch by using Maleficent.

• Love 1
the apple is "frozen" -- symbolizing the new situation all the OUAT characters will face

Thanks, Adam, for telling us something that anyone who has a brain figured out approximately .001 seconds after looking at the picture.

He and Kitsis really do think the audience are a bunch of dumb-as-a-box-of-hair sheep, don't they?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 6
the apple is "frozen" -- symbolizing the new situation all the OUAT characters will face

I still don't get how that is "symbolism"?  Isn't it a literal description of what the characters will be facing if they're all freezing cold?  Or is this referring to the fact that their character development is frozen?  And if that's the case, what else is new?  

• Love 3

And risk letting the audience forget for one second about their massive crush on Woegina??? Perish the thought!

My bad!  My brain wandered away from me for a second there.  Thank you for reigning me in!

It would have been nicer if they had done the clock tower which is basically the representation of Storybrooke.

• Love 2

Lana, Emilie and Jared tweeted smaller promo posters with a much nicer frozen apple, chipped teacup and the storybook. They're actually nicer than the eyes-and-apple.

I'm having trouble making links tonight, but they're in each actor's Twitter feed and circulating on Tumblr

Hmm... catchphrase.  How about a variation of "Conceal, don't feel"?

Henry: Conceal the storybook in the freezer since I can't reach the boxes in Mary Margaret's closet.  #Don'tFeel

Regina: Conceal the apple since it's technically evidence for attempted murder. #Don'tFeel

Belle: Conceal the chipped cup since I'm one chip away from having no brain cells.  #Don'tFeel

• Love 5

Tumblr people are concerned this means no actual cast photos? I'm not sure I'd assume that yet.

Last year they came out on the 12th of September. Doesn't mean there definitely won't be any, but they're certainly a bit late with them. 

To be fair, after the ratings tanked, the budget was probably cut and the easiest thing to get rid of is marketing stuff. You can get free interns on the path to photoshop mastery quite easily instead.

I think Rumple's will be the spinning wheel rather than the dagger. It's the more known association and it works for newbies to Once. Snow's poster will get a 666.

It's a good thing Neal is dead. A frozen bean would've been hilarious.

• Love 2

Snow's poster will get a 666.

Actually, I'm not sure what Snow's special item is. Her bow? Her ring?

You can get free interns on the path to photoshop mastery quite easily instead.

I'm a photoshop amateur, and I've done better Once photo editing than last year's cast pics.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I don't understand how their graphics department (or whatever agency/photographer they hired) can go from something like this one year to this the next. Like, wtf? I don't work for nearly as large of a company as ABC Productions, but if I had helped with a photo shoot that resulted in last year's atrocious shots, I would be fired on the spot. The Elsa poster clearly shows they have the photographic/graphics talent to produce good promo shots, so I'm definitely demanding new cast photos this year. If ABC is worried about trying to save money, I volunteer to do them for free!*

*Just pay for my round-trip plane ticket to Vancouver and my hotel...

• Love 1

Season 2 promo shoots was done by Autumn De Wilde and you could tell a lot of thought went into it; there were props, actual backgrounds, etc. Season 3 promo's were done by Bob D'Amico, who's ABC go-to photographer, and he's awful. Boring costumes with blurred out background. Boring posing. Etc.

• Love 1

How interesting.  The Season 2 were really original with the mix of the modern and the fantasy (as you said, with the actual objects and settings).  Season 3 seemed like hum-drum portrait studio against a white background and then they superimposed that horribly fake surf/cloud background standing on artificial turf.

Just had a horrible image of this year's promo pics being the cast members posing beside a styrofoam snowman.

Edited by Camera One

Well again, you also have to remember that ABC and Frozen are both Disney properties so I bet there's some extra money going into the budget this year.

As for last year, after the atrocious Photoshop debacle, some nice shots came out of the characters with just the white and black backgrounds pre Shopped so at least we have that.

Didn't even think about Emma's swan necklace being on her poster. I kinda forgot a out it. I thought it'd be the bug like others mentioned. Just really thankful it's not the red jacket.

Hook's is of course the hook.

Edited by Stuffy

I really like them all.

I can't think of anything for Snow besides the bow and arrow (but what if they save that for Robin if he gets one?) and the glass coffin. Maybe the unicorn mobile? I saw someone on tumblr jokingly suggest a frozen bird.

Rumple has the dagger, the spinning wheel, and the cane.

I wish they had used the bug instead of the keychain/necklace for Emma. That's a symbol of Neal's betrayal and not something I want associated with her any longer now that she's stopped running. I was hoping that pursuant to the deleted scene, Emma had passed it on to Henry.

But you can tell the graphics department spent some time on them, so that's nice.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 3

I wish they had used the bug instead of the keychain/necklace for Emma. That's a symbol of Neal's betrayal and not something I want associated with her any longer now that she's stopped running. I was hoping that pursuant to the deleted scene, Emma had passed it on to Henry.

But you can tell the graphics department spent some time on them, so that's nice.

IA, But I don't know that the bug would be any better... It's irritating that aside from the red leather jacket, Emma's symbols are all shitty leftovers from Douchefire.

• Love 1