Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

How will Belle react when she finds out the truth? Emilie says she'll be "quite devastated' but she thinks she'll probably believe Rumple if he says it was to protect her.

They really do want to make Belle the dumbest character ever, don't they?

• Love 7
(edited)

Is that an official promo? No fan video? Oh dearies.

The text by the "narrator", as snarkastic said, it's from Paradise Lost by Milton. Lines from the 1st book:

Out of our evil seek to bring forth good,
Our labour must be to pervert that end,
And out of good still to find means of evil;
(1. book 162-165)

Of hope in fears and dangers, heard so oft
In worst extreams, and on the perilous edge
Of battel when it rag'd, in all assaults
Thir surest signal, they will soon resume
New courage and revive, though now they lye
Groveling and prostrate on yon Lake of Fire,
As we erewhile, astounded and amaz'd,
No wonder, fall'n such a pernicious highth.
(1. Book 275-282)

Awake, arise or be forever frozen

( the last line as changed a bit, original it is: Awake, Arise, or be forever fallen - 1. Book, 330)

The ongoing fight between good and evil, or so. Whatever. This promo doesn't really make me want to see the season.

Edited by katusch

That promo is so, so bad. If I came across that promo without having seen the show, I probably wouldn't want to see it.

Yes! I would be like, "Ugh! What is this self-important claptrap?" I hope it's never shown anywhere ever again and whoever put it together takes a refresher marketing class.

(edited)

The text by the "narrator", as snarkastic said, it's from Paradise Lost by Milton. Lines from the 1st book:

Maybe Satan will be the Big Bad in 4B and we'll find out Adam and Eve are living in Storybrooke.  I wonder if Glinda gave him a pendant too.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Regarding the dvd: The closer it gets to release date (Aug 19), the more I'm worrying that we aren't seeing different cover art.

Not sure if this is a legit back cover, but wtf?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37200000/Cover-art-for-Season-3-DVD-and-Blu-ray-once-upon-a-time-37213213-762-400.jpg

I mean, would it really be that shocking if 60% of the DVD cover material was Regina? At this point, I think I'd be more shocked if it WEREN'T.

(edited)
Not sure if this is a legit back cover, but wtf?

http://images6.fanpo...213-762-400.jpg

As a designer, I can 100% guarantee that is not legit. Besides the clumsily written blurb on the back, the typography is all wrong and whoever made it must have just discovered the Photoshop brush/pattern tool for the first time. Then again, I could be wrong because these monstrous promotional photos exist... which makes me want to cry, quit my job, and apply to be Once's official graphic designer because they clearly don't have one.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

Jen, Josh, Colin, Rose and Rob Thomas (what are you doing, Jen?)

I know I'm super late to this, but I've been out of town. When I saw the above, I immediately thought "Which Rob Thomas?" and I was not disappointed!

@kili, thank you for the notes from the writer's room video. I watched on a small screen and missed all of that. Castles:...Nathan Fillion. Someone please make that happen.

Jen's dress definitely evoked her Princess Leia ballgown.

They can't even do a damn blooper reel right.

Seriously! Or maybe I've just been spoiled by other shows that know how to do it right, like Supernatural and their 8-10 minute long blooper reels.

Edited by Curio

Why so negative about the blooper reel?  I thought it was cute.  They don't "owe" us anything.  We should be grateful someone took the time to do anything.

ETA "about the blooper reel" since it wasn't clear what I was talking about.

Edited by Sabs
Why so negative about the blooper reel?  I thought it was cute.  They don't "owe" us anything.  We should be grateful someone took the time to do anything.

Well, in this case there's an actual exchange of money for a product. Some people feel that the blooper reel included in the product that they are paying for isn't worth the cost. So, in this case, ya they do "owe" the buyer something -- a product worth the price. (of course, everyone is free to not purchase it but for those that pre-ordered it not knowing the quality of the extras (that you are paying for) I can understand feeling g*****...)

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 2

What does it even have to do with S3? Why didn't they put Zelena and Pan on the cover with green smoke all around?

No kidding. The show went to Neverland and OZ, but the cover is Regina instead? Ugh.

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 4

This is a serious question: why do people care about the cover of the DVD? Is it because you're worried about sales? Or you want it to look nice on your shelf? Again, I'm not being facetious, I'm just surprised at how much discussion and criticism it has generated.

This is a serious question: why do people care about the cover of the DVD?

Personally, a bad DVD or book cover can sway me to not purchase it. But I've also worked in packaging design, so I get extremely nitpicky about these kinds of things. A good DVD cover should A) be visually interesting and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, so that it separates itself from the hundreds of other DVD covers on the shelf, and B) should quickly summarize the story of the TV show or movie. I actually happen to think this Season 3 cover design isn't that bad; it's rather striking with the bold red apple front and center. But... if I weren't a fan of the show, I'd probably take a quick look at it and think it was some random Snow White movie DVD that doesn't star Charlize Theron or Julia Roberts and walk past it. In my opinion, a large ensemble photo of the cast would have been a better option for conveying what the show is actually about.

• Love 2

This is a serious question: why do people care about the cover of the DVD? Is it because you're worried about sales? Or you want it to look nice on your shelf? Again, I'm not being facetious, I'm just surprised at how much discussion and criticism it has generated.

Well this particular DVD covers highlights the blatant favoritism of Regina, for one. I, myself, am very fascinated with marketing and design, so it bothers me when it doesn't fit logically. It's not even that captivating of a cover, even if the subject matter had been relative. It's also a first impression to potential Oncers, so it's important in that regard. They might think it's all about the Evil Queen, when in fact it's not.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
Or you want it to look nice on your shelf?

As Curio and KingofHearts said, I personally want it to represent the season I'm watching, and show the main characters featured, not just one of them.  I also prefer when they use promo images taken that season.  While the cover is stylistically nice, it is too generic and could have been for S1 or S2.  There's really nothing new or interesting to look at... we've seen that picture before a million times.

• Love 2

It's an old image. It would've been OK to use for S1, IMO, but not S3. It's lazy and doesn't illustrate the season. What relevance does Regina with an apple have to S3? Not. A. Blessed Thing. It just reinforces the annoying "it's all about Regina" mindset that seems to have taken over the show. Every other character is relegated to the back. It doesn't sit well with me at all.

• Love 5

Yeah, that blooper reel is pretty lame. A minute and a half, really? C'mon, show. And half the bloopers are from the Good Morning Storybrooke stuff, not even real episodes!!!

Echoing the "that DVD cover is made of major SUCK" opinion. That's the laziest fucking DVD cover I've ever seen.

Camera One, I just remembered:

The Rip Van Winkle one might be from Nasty Habits. Rumple gets a knife from Winkle, which is the same knife he gives to Bae in Nasty Habits from one of his "clients".

Edited by KingOfHearts

You know, I understand why they cut it out, but I kind of wish they had kept "Thank You Note" in. That is the kind of thing that makes me feel like Regina has some self-awareness and real affection for Snow. (Of course, that's probably why they had to cut it out.)

"Liar Liar" was too cute. Oh, Red, how I miss you when you're not around.

• Love 2

I can't believe they used Rip Van Winkle in such a throwaway fashion, in the same episode as the Pied Piper! Why did that knife have to come from Rip Van Winkle anyway?  It didn't seem like a special knife.

Edited by Camera One

Heh, if you go on Twitter and Tumblr, there are people from almost every single Once sub-fandom complaining that X deleted scene is proof that Adam and Eddie hate their favorite ship or character. 

And thanks to those who answered my question about the DVD cover. I haven't bought a physical DVD in years, so it's really not something that crosses my mind. In fairness, I imagine the people that make the show pretty much have little to no influence over that stuff (but I see how it mirrors their focus on Regina, whether deliberately or not). ABC's marketing may have research to back up that cover, I guess -- though they might also have just looked at a picture they already had and said "...yeah, good enough."

There's a weird lack of consistency between any of the season DVD covers.  

"Once Upon a Time" cast wants Graham back for flashbacks, and Josh Dallas says he'll be first in line to watch "Fifty Shades of Grey" to see Dornan

http://ca.eonline.com/news/565532/fifty-shades-of-grey-s-jamie-dornan-is-a-wanted-man-on-once-upon-a-time

Stars of the "Frozen" movies get "cold shoulder" from "Once Upon a Time"... talk about sensationalism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04/once-upon-a-time-frozen_n_5647461.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Edited by Camera One
We're not trying to do a sequel to ‘Frozen.’

From Camera One's second link.

So they don't want to hire the original cast for that reason, but they'll make the ones they picked look exactly like their Frozen counterparts? If it's not a sequel to Frozen, why are the events of the movie going to remain the same?

Definition of sequel: "a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one."

Edited by KingOfHearts

Definition of sequel: "a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one."

To be fair, the show runners have trouble understanding the definition of victim, too.

Their dictionary is not like my dictionary.

• Love 6