Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Given how blah this Robin is, though, stupid or actually a secretly wise decision?!

(Besides, the 1% shred of okayness he's clinging to would be totally gone if he was Snow's BFF and then was like "nbd, I'm going to go to bed with the Evil Queen with no thought beyond her bold and audacious nature!"

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
There’s also been tension between them throughout the years and they’re fighting and at each other’s throats, but not ever really physically hurting one another, and so there’s that tension that I think that can be perceived as very sexual by a lot of our audience, especially our SwanQueens.

No offense to SwanQueen shippers, but if the "sexual" tension is anything like what's described here, it's messed up. I don't see how hurting each other, even if not physically, is romantic at all. Not a very good description of a ship if you ask me.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

So poisoning isn't physical harm? The only reason Emma wasn't actually poisoned is Henry eating the turnover instead, so that's at least an attempt at physical harm. Then there's attempting to undermine Emma at every turn to make her look bad in front of Henry (disregarding how that also hurt Henry). If all that's considered in any way sexual, does that make Regina a Pick-Up Artist type, practicing extreme negging?

• Love 7

So poisoning isn't physical harm? The only reason Emma wasn't actually poisoned is Henry eating the turnover instead, so that's at least an attempt at physical harm.

She also tried to kill Emma as a baby, then with Cora, then with the failsafe, then in the S3 finale tried to have her executed... she's also blasted her with her magic several times. Don't forget the fist fight in 1x07!

So I can’t see either one of them physically hurting one another or ever leading to death or wanting to kill one another

Watch your episodes again, please. Remember 1x22? Emma threatened to kill Regina. "If Henry dies, you do too." She also pushed Regina against a wall in anger in the same episode.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6

It'll be interesting if the swan queen fans that constantly harass Jennifer and Adam go after Lana for that family answer.  That is one of their biggest defenses.  "They're not blood related!!!!"  She also talked about Outlaw Queen. They'd be all over Jennifer for that.

• Love 2

There's also the time travel where she sent Emma for execution. Gahh it literally does not compute in my head how that's all ignored in favor of "I'm a victim" yet again. Those scenes aren't even up for interpretation or debate. It's right there in black and white. Or is this like the onscreen penetration with Graham again? Since Emma isn't dead onscreen, it means "never tried to kill" her right?

• Love 4

Lana is queerbaiting, plain and simple. Which I guess is marginally better than joking about Graham being a boy toy or brushing over Henry's abuse? Sorry, I can't keep track of the stupid stuff she says in interviews anymore.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 5

Oh God! So Lana is just as delusional as the writers. Some of her answers are so ridiculous. Regina has try to kill Emma (and her parents) multiple times.

Lana is queerbaiting, plain and simple. Which I guess is marginally better than joking about Graham being a boy toy or brusing over Henry's abuse? Sorry, I can't keep track of the stupid stuff she says in interviews anymore.

She said that about Graham? Wow, talk about delusional. I've never been a fan of Lana so this is the first time I've read an interview with her (and I've been unable to finish it), and her answers are so ridiculous.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 3
Gahh it literally does not compute in my head how that's all ignored in favor of "I'm a victim" yet again.

I think it's ignored because in my estimation a vast majority of Swan Queen shippers are Regina fans first and foremost. Emma is incidental and is mainly a tool for Regina's happily ever after, which means Regina's treatment of Emma doesn't matter because Regina's happiness is the only one that matters for them. (You'd be surprised how much Swan Queen fic I've clicked into breaks up the Charming Family so Emma is "free" to go to Regina.) Unfortunately, I have issues conceiving of a happily ever after in which both parties aren't getting something out of it, and I'm sorry, but I do not in any way, shape, or form believe Emma should find her happiness with the woman who's spent a good season and a half of this show trying to kill her. (Which yes, Lana, has happened. No matter how delicate the language used to describe it, it doesn't change the fact that Regina has tried to kill Emma multiple times over the show's run.)  Nor do I believe Regina should find her happiness with someone who'd threatened to kill her, too, like KingOfHearts pointed out.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 5

She said that about Graham? Wow, talk about delusional. I've never been a fan of Lana so this is the first time I've read an interview with her (and I've been unable to finish it), and her answers are so ridiculous.

She also described Regina and Graham's relationship in "Welcome To Storybrooke" (those were interviews to promote that episode) as "cute and flirty". Meanwhile, Jamie Dornan called it gross and horrifying, basically. When Christian Grey has a better grasp of healthy romantic relationships than you... (sorry, couldn't resist)

• Love 2

I didn't see this as queer baiting. She said that the show was not going in a romantic direction with Regina and Emma multiple times. Basically, I thought she was saying that Swan queen is not wrong just that it is not happening. I don't have a problem with that answer.

I also liked that she brought up Jennifer Morrison. She gets so much grief on Twitter, I liked that Lana spoke so positively about her feelings on Swan queen. In my opinion, neither actress should be required to support a fan ship but since there are plenty who disagree with me, I am glad they are riding it out on the same page.

• Love 1

Let's not get into a roundabout here. Say what you have, and then move on. If I continue to see people coming back and repeating themselves, posts will start being deleted.

Also, as always, let's remember to be respectful to each other. We don't all have to like the same characters. But we do need to be civil to each other.

From the interview:

There’s also been tension between them throughout the years and they’re fighting and at each other’s throats, but not ever really physically hurting one another […]

10000000000000% FLAMING HORSESHIT.

I'm not even gonna be nice about it and give Lana the benefit of the doubt and say maybe she was high and suffering from hallucinations.  What she said is just an outright lie. Your pants are on fire, Lana!

Holy crap, I hope Jennifer never does an interview because all she could say is Lana is either delusional or just lying because we've seen Regina trying to kill Emma multiple times. WE ALL SAW IT. Regina has punched Emma in the face, gave Emma a poisoned apple to try and effectively kill her, and shot a huge flaming fireball at Emma trying to, yet again, KILL HER! The only reason Emma wasn't scorched was because Charming blocked the flaming fireball of death. And that's all just recent highlights!

Does Lana's script come with meth? What in actual fuck!

• Love 4

Honestly, that's probably the best interview Lana could have given for that website. She knew what kind of contest was won and she also has to play nice with all the fans, so of course she's going to say things to encourage the Swan Queen fandom. I think she made it pretty clear that the writers and producers aren't going in that direction, but she still supports the creativity of the fans.

I'm also going to give Lana some slack on the "Regina wouldn't try to physically harm or kill Emma" comment. If she's talking about Season 3/4 going forward, then that's probably fairly accurate... I guess. But if she's talking about before that? Ah, no. Just to play devil's advocate, Jennifer gave an interview where she mentioned how "Even though [Hook]'s done some bad things in his past, he's never done anything bad to Emma." People could twist that comment and point out how he and Cora left her in the cave jail thing or how he physically pushed her aside to attack Rumple in New York, but we still understand what Jen is trying to say.

I think at the end of the day, the writing is so shoddy on this show that the actors just have a really hard time trying to interpret why their characters do what they do.

• Love 2

I don't fault Lana for pandering to them when it's an SQ supportive site. That's what actors do. She isn't going to alienate the fans.  Do I agree with everything she says?  No.  I am a Regina fan but I can't stand SQ for various reasons, not the least which I think it would be a harmful and unhealthy relationship.  

Curio, I see what you're saying with the Hook comparison, but the problem is that everyone was collateral damage to Hook in his revenge quest, including Emma. In contrast, Regina has specifically targeted Emma for death multiple times -- starting from Emma's birth to the present day. A more apropos comparison would be like Hook saying, "Oh, he's never tried to kill Rumple, 'cause they family!". And that, for the record, is BS. So from my POV Lana's comment from the interview are complete horseshit.

• Love 4

I think Lana was trying to walk a line between fan-pandering but also trying to state that SQ is not a canon pairing. As for her other remarks, they do not come across as queer-baiting, as much as delusional. She seems to have drunk Regina's kool-aid. It is a very biased perspective, but hey--this view is consistently propped-up by the narrative.

• Love 2

I think Lana was trying to walk a line between fan-pandering but also trying to state that SQ is not a canon pairing. As for her other remarks, they do not come across as queer-baiting, as much as delusional. She seems to have drunk Regina's kool-aid. It is a very biased perspective, but hey--this view is consistently propped-up by the narrative.

Yeah, I think this quote from the interview is really telling:

“I don’t necessarily believe that the characters are going to move into that direction, because it’s just not the vision of the producers or writers; they didn’t create Once Upon A Time with the hopes that Regina and Emma would be a couple. So, unfortunately, I just don’t think that’s what they’re going to do.”

But the rest, uff, totally delusional. I've forced myself to read the complete interview and wow, between that and those things she said about Graham, I've lost a lot of respect for her.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think this quote from the interview is really telling:

But the rest, uff, totally delusional. I've forced myself to read the complete interview and wow, between that and those things she said about Graham, I've lost a lot of respect for her.

Man, I couldn't finish the article since my eyes kept rolling into the back of my head.

• Love 1

You know what? That's just low. SwanQueen is a crackship. And no, not because of the sexuality of the characters, which is irrelevant, but because it's freaking insane that a character that has been trying to kill the other character from birth would ever have a healthy romantic or sane relationship with each other. You can't have a healthy romantic relationship with the abusive, murdering, terrorist that has been trying to kill you simply for the reason that you exist! And to accuse the actors of not respecting the fans of a crackship is disgusting, ludicrous, and the very epitome of self-entitled bullying and low. These hardcore, vitriol spewing fans have become the bigoted assholes they are supposedly fighting against. Just because people are fans of a ship doesn't mean that they are owed any interviews from the actors, and that goes for all "ships", but most especially for the ones that have nothing to do with what's happening on the actual show. NEWSFLASH: SwanQueen is an invention of the fans, and the fans alone, and no one associated with the show is required to feed these fanciful delusions. Hell, they're not even required to feed the fanciful delusions of fans of in show canon romantic pairings, but they do so because it's marketing & publicity relevant to the story, not just BS to appease the ravings of lunatics.

JFC, people, if the ship you like isn't a thing on the show then be a sane and mature adult and realize that you can't get everything you want, m'kay? That's just life! Brow beating and bullying the actors into submission only goes to show that you are the small-minded little jerk who needs to sod off.

In the words of Terry Pratchett: "Just because someone is member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk."

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 12

Ugh that article could have brought out some interesting issues for discussion, but bringing up Jen and suggesting that she like and tweet about a crackship, instead of, you know, the actual ship that her character is currently involved in, is so ridiculous. I've never even heard of that woman's magazine. How does one get an article published on the Huffpost anyway?

It cracks me up to no end that Robert didn't even bother tweeting Rumple's poster. He's sooo done with this show. I wonder how long their original contracts were? He's going to be out of there as soon as this baby ends. I hope it was 4 years and that he does leave to go find greener pastures. He can take Jennifer, Colin, Ginny, Josh and everyone else not named Lana with him.

• Love 2

I think his contract was for five years. It is a steady paycheck though--I think he does enjoy the acting as Imp Rumple, but doesn't care about the Show one bit. lol. He usually only does the bare minimum at Comic Con as well. 

ETA: I commented on that article too, but for some reason, I'm only seeing a couple of comments. I'm literally raging right now. They are bullying Jennifer Morrison, and are going to drive her out of Twitter. I ultimately blame Adam--he is responsible for the kind of interaction he has allowed in twitter from fans and so called fans. Unfortunately, JMo seems to be suffering the brunt of it. I almost want to quite watching the Show over this, and I probably will if they continue to glorify victim-Regina.

Edited by Rumsy4

I am so furious about that HuffPo piece, I could spit nails. That woman is a POS for singling out JMo for no reason except she's a SwanQueen fan who didn't get her way. She says it's not up to actors to carry the load on this issue, but then she goes and makes it all about JMo. Disgusting!

• Love 6
ETA: I commented on that article too, but for some reason, I'm only seeing a couple of comments.

I saw your comment and liked it. So far no one's commented to me, and I so very badly want them to because I am so ready to open up a can of verbal whoop-ass on anyone who dares, heh. I'm fuming right now. Shit like that does not help and as much as the author can argue "I'm not telling anyone to harass her!" she shouldn't have singled her out in the first place.

ETA: Huh, odd. I just logged out of Facebook and now I can't see my comment anymore. Innn-teresting.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 3

Shit like that does not help and as much as the author can argue "I'm not telling anyone to harass her!" she shouldn't have singled her out in the first place.

If the author wasn't expecting people to harass Morrison, she would have included screencaps  of the tweets she took issue with, instead of the tweet links.  The tweet links make it much, much more likely people will click on the link to tweetscream at her, even if they wouldn't've before they read the article.

Well it looks like the author is in with the swan queen click of bullies. I'm talking about that very specific group we all know about. They of course are praising her and in her self-entitled mind she thinks she's making a point about inclusion. I kinda want to reply that maybe JMo didn't do the interview because your buddies call her Gaymo and direct tweet her that she's gay and needs to come out of the closet. Pretty much the opposite of inclusion and acceptance because they want Jennifer to be who they tell her to be. Why reward that kind of behavior with an interview?

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 2

It just makes me laugh that none of these dumbos can add 2 plus 2 and get 4 and realize that maybe JMo isn't super fond of Swan Queen (fans) because *they send her huge amounts of shit on a regular basis.* If I was JMo, at this point, I wouldn't touch anything related to Swan Queen with a ten foot pole at this point!

• Love 6

It's a free country (well, I don't know where you all live, but I'm going to asume), but I think you're better off ignoring it. This isn't the front-page paid-journalist and -columnist side of HuffPo, it's the unpaid we-will-publish-anything side of HuffPo. It is basically on par with a tumblr post in terms of quality, legitimacy, and reader numbers (maybe even less). Generating conversation is just going to bring more eyeballs to the page.

I saw your comment and liked it. So far no one's commented to me, and I so very badly want them to because I am so ready to open up a can of verbal whoop-ass on anyone who dares, heh. I'm fuming right now. Shit like that does not help and as much as the author can argue "I'm not telling anyone to harass her!" she shouldn't have singled her out in the first place.

ETA: Huh, odd. I just logged out of Facebook and now I can't see my comment anymore. Innn-teresting.

Same here with my comment.

I think that author knew exactly what she was doing. She puts on a front of "bullying is bad, it's not the actors' fault," but then she singles out JMo for absolutely no reason except to single her out. Either she's completely stupid, completely irresponsible or she wanted JMo to get harassed even more.

• Love 2

This is a quote from the TVGuide article that was posted in the Spoilers thread, but it's not really a spoiler, so I thought I'd post it here:

"Our audience gets so mad when we don't let couples relax and be happy," says Kitsis. "We're like, 'Really? You want to see Emma and Hook rent a movie and stay home? Oh, look, they're making popcorn and Hook needs help because he only has one hand! Isn't that adorable!' Where's the drama in that?"

Umm... actually, why can't you do that and still include drama?? It's called a balancing act. You sprinkle in a bit of funny/happy with the melodramatic/stupid. A little bit goes a long ways, guys! At least if you include a couple cute scenes like that, I won't be as annoyed when you pull some random plot twist that makes absolutely no sense in the middle of the season.

• Love 15
Umm... actually, why can't you do that and still include drama?? It's called a balancing act.

Right! (And actually, I think that scene they described IS rather adorable, thanks very much.) We're not saying, "Give us an entire episode of people sitting around and doing nothing but being cute!" but giving us the cute would allow time for some, gee I dunno, actual character development and actual conversation so it wouldn't be crisis, crisis, crisis, omgcrisis all the time. There's plenty of drama to be had in simple conversation if the writing would allow for it.

• Love 2
Umm... actually, why can't you do that and still include drama?? It's called a balancing act. You sprinkle in a bit of funny/happy with the melodramatic/stupid. A little bit goes a long ways, guys!

I know it's a surreal show, but if I were under all the constant tension and drama the characters go through, I'd go insane. I personally don't know how they can stand it without those slowdown moments. We had them in S1, which worked great, so I don't know why the writers choose to turn them down in the present. Who doesn't find magical characters trying to adjust to normal life entertaining?

I've heard multiple people say the show needs more lighter moments. You'd think with all the Disney stuff there would be at least some.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7

It is a steady paycheck though--I think he does enjoy the acting as Imp Rumple, but doesn't care about the Show one bit

True, but I don't think Robert will be hurting for work post this show. I wonder what the turning point was. He's always been less cheerlead-y than the others but he used to do more. Back during S1 he had a weekly AskRobert session on his twitter. Also while I agree that he only enjoys the acting part and not really the show, I feel a bit of a disconnect from him there as well. All of S3 I didn't get that joy from him until the finale. That said why are they making the actors do the marketing? Their own twitter/facebook could've easily done all of them.

Who doesn't find magical characters trying to adjust to normal life entertaining?

Right? See Sleepy Hollow.

To be honest if they don't want to write mundane life moments I'd be fine with that. Writing for plot as the priority is perfectly valid. See all the procedural shows out there like CSI where character comes 2nd. But and this a major but, they can't even write a real plot. There's no real story when you pick it apart. So yeah no beans.

• Love 1

No one tell these two about Shonda Rhimes' shows, or Fringe, Sleepy Hollow, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, etc.. Their heads might explode from disbelief that a show could incorporate happy or peaceful human moments (you know, with characters connecting like human beings) with *gasp* DRAMA!

No, no writers. You go riiiight on believing that no one is interested in that fluffy nonsense and it would be utter calamity to attempt to incorporate it into this show, a fine example of story plot structuring and pacing. You enjoy that kool-aid. 

We're not saying, "Give us an entire episode of people sitting around and doing nothing but being cute!"

I am, Dani-Ellie. :D I'm totally saying it. Give me my 42 minutes of (non-Woegina) fluff, dammit! ("Fluff Yes! Regina NO! Fluff Yes! Regina NO!"...this is my new chant.)

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 5