Type keyword(s) to search

Mercy Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

OK, this is bugging me, would Emma really have had sex with her boyfriend (the Dentist, I forget his name) a good southern girl, even in a time of war, wouldn't have pre-marital sex would she? I am still staying with the show despite some of the glaring anachronisms.

A "good" girl wouldn't, but there was plenty of extramarital sex going on, particularly in wartime.

• Love 1

Yes, I took it as a given that Emma had sex with Frank. I wonder if that time together rears its head as things heat up with the chaplain. Given real life & the existence of descendants in this particular case, it will be interesting to see how the show handles Emma & Frank going forward.

• Love 1

Of course the interesting thing is that Mary and Foster, having both been married, when and if they have sex, would be completely understandable. I won't even contemplate why it was better to ship the very sick Mary up north to nurse rather than letting her be tended somewhere in town, if not the hospital itself.

• Love 1

I like Emma, but the rest of the Greens I just doesn't care about. Frankly their stories take up to much time for me.

So will Mary be back? It felt like she was being sent to her death. I can't see how she can possible survive the journey home. Also I didn't see anyone traveling with her.  oh what am I thinking she has to survive so

Spoiler

we can have a love triangle between Mary, Foster, and Lisette.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, ComeWhatMay said:

Yes, I took it as a given that Emma had sex with Frank. I wonder if that time together rears its head as things heat up with the chaplain.

Oh I think it's a given that

Spoiler

as soon as Emma gets close to chaplain that she'll realizes that she's pregnant. The writers pretty much screamed she's pregnant with all the times she touched her stomach.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Yes, I took it as a given that Emma had sex with Frank. I wonder if that time together rears its head as things heat up with the chaplain. Given real life & the existence of descendants in this particular case, it will be interesting to see how the show handles Emma & Frank going forward.

Are there other characters besides Mary who are based in real life?

What did Emma say at the dead Reb's beside that caused her mother to ask if she had fallen away from her family/The Cause?

I hope Mary is alright, and comes back soon. With Doctor Asshole around, the hospital needs all the help it can get. I do like that we are getting more sides to Hale and Hastings, and they aren't just annoying jerks. I even didn't totally loath Alice this week! I'm still not really interested in her, but the real damage that her cause and the war is doing seems to finally be hitting her.

15 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

What did Emma say at the dead Reb's beside that caused her mother to ask if she had fallen away from her family/The Cause?

She took the chaplains side, and basically said it was wrong for the southern preacher to start telling wounded men they were wrong to fight for a cause they believed in. With the way Emma's character is developing, I cant see her sticking with her life with her family as a sweet southern belle. After this, I hope she joins Mary up north somewhere and continues being a nurse. She seems rather uninterested in "the cause" these days.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Fireball said:

The writers pretty much screamed she's pregnant with all the times she touched her stomach.

Yes, indeed.

15 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Are there other characters besides Mary who are based in real life?

Jed is another. There could be more I am blanking on at the moment -- I attended a tea at Carlyle House & the staffer summed it up well, I thought, with "it's TV." I just think it gets tricky when television shows in general use names of actual people & don't stick to the narrative, especially those who are buried together in a cemetery & have descendants about... It's no fun as a descendant, I imagine, to watch a TV show undo your existence in favor of hooking your great-grandmother up with a hot chaplain. Not saying they will do that here, but imagine if they did? Happily ever afters for couples that there is no evidence ever had any sort of romance are less problematic as you can fall back on "it's TV" much more easily & there are not descendants out there to call you on it -- as some already have here with the characterization of Frank Stringfellow.  

Do you guys think Mary is out for good? There are only 3 episodes remaining and I would hate to see her gone for the rest of the season/series. Also, just as her and Foster were getting close! I have searched to see if there are any spoilers related to the character leaving the show and have found nothing. But she is also not on any previews coming up. What do you all think? 

• Love 2
On 2/6/2017 at 0:07 AM, LittleIggy said:

I'm glad Hale and Hastings are being shown to be more human and less caricatures as in last season.

Me too.  Although I was distracted through most of this episode I did enjoy the field trip Miss Hastings took with Jed.  It was nice to see them relating on a personal level as well as professional.  

I wish THAT Pinkerton would finish his investigation and throw all the Greenes (except Emma) into jail so we could be rid of them.  If the writers are trying to create a sympathetic image of a nice Southern family facing the hardships of occupation, they are failing.  There is nothing likable about any of them (except Emma).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, saoirse said:

Please remember to spoiler tag any possible spoilers in here. If you want to start a speculation topic, please feel free to do so. Thanks!

Sorry, I think I got everything of mine that was speculation/predictions put in spoilers tags now. I didn't mean to break the rules I just forget sometimes that my musings should be put in spoiler tags.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 3:46 PM, versusgrl said:

Do you guys think Mary is out for good? There are only 3 episodes remaining and I would hate to see her gone for the rest of the season/series. Also, just as her and Foster were getting close! I have searched to see if there are any spoilers related to the character leaving the show and have found nothing. But she is also not on any previews coming up. What do you all think? 

I've always been a fan of Dr. Foster & Mary as an item so I hope she isn't gone for good.  It seemed like she was improving a bit so I dont understand why she was shipped away.  Unless the actress herself needed time off.    

Count me in on the Dr. Hale & Ms. Hastings love train as well.  I like them as a couple as well and I kinda wish more was shown of that.  Seeing Dr. Hale in the whorehouse threw me off a bit though it didnt seem that ms. Hastings minded that much.

• Love 1

I can't believe no one mentioned the visit to the quakers!  That had me on edge. 

Embarassing, but is the guy Alice ran off with the same one Emma slept with? Who tried to kill Lincoln?  The pretend dentist?

mary can't be gone already!

8 hours ago, awaken said:

Embarassing, but is the guy Alice ran off with the same one Emma slept with? Who tried to kill Lincoln?  The pretend dentist?

Yes. 

As I said above I was only half paying attention.  How did he and Alice get the password to get through Union lines?  Was it in the papers of the soldier her father killed?

Edited by Haleth
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:22 AM, Haleth said:

How did he and Alice get the password to get through Union lines?  Was it in the papers of the soldier her father killed?

Alice got the password last week when she went on that "date" with the union soldier. I don't remember exactly, but Alice said something about needing the password so she could safely go riding in the woods. I think she was implying she could secretly meet him if she had the password.

Well I guess it was to much to hope that the Green's would be absent from the episode; I didn't really think they would be but I was hoping. At least the Green's stories weren't so annoying; however, every time the show switches from the hospital stories to the Green family's stories it pulls me out of the episode.

So Lisette and Forster were an item until Lisette cheated on him; Forster than quickly got married. Anyone else get the impression that Lisette was annoyed that Forster didn't fight for her? She said something to the affect "you never go after what you want".

Miss Hastings got some from the hot soldier.

Major Clayton is nutz! "All tarts must have the exact same number of peaches!" I totally laughed at his I'll always think of you as Miss Tart to Miss Hastings.

I totally called the soldier being a girl! I guess we're supposed to assume she died at the battle.

Where was Bullen? Did they say why he was absent?  I wouldn't mind if he was permanently gone.  

I'm glad Jimmy didn't kill those slaves. I didn't think he would, but I was holding my breath. I don't mind the Greene family except for Alice and her atrocious accent.

I like how Emma's character is developing. The poor chaplain is going to be really messed up after killing that guy!

McBurney is cray-cray! Looks as if next week Hastings organizes a coup.

• Love 2

Miss Hastings is turning out to be the best thing on the show.  (Funny, I didn't miss Mary at all.)  Loved her comment about being "unclenched" and her reaction when McBurney said she will always remind him of the perfect tart.

Emma made my jaw drop when she stood up in the middle of a battle to get the soldiers to stop firing.  Incredibly brave.

I also loved the scenes with Samuel and Hale collaborating on discovering the cause of death of the soldier.  Hale and Hastings are soooo much better as slightly comical but dedicated to their professions, rather than mustache twirling villains.

Ugh, Greenes.  Just go away.  Especially Alice in her stupid hat.

Oh, meant to add, did anyone NOT immediately see that the young soldier was a girl? 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
On 2/9/2017 at 4:36 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I've always been a fan of Dr. Foster & Mary as an item so I hope she isn't gone for good.  It seemed like she was improving a bit so I dont understand why she was shipped away.  Unless the actress herself needed time off.    

The real Mary Phinney left the hospital for a time to recover from illness (though it was dysentery instead of typhoid). She returned briefly but then went to a different hospital to serve. I don't know how closely they're going to stick to history, but I really don't want her to leave for good, either.

• Love 1

I love Josh Radnor being cast against type--it works, not sure about the French former "love" interest that sets up a triangle between her, Mary and him. Loving Emma and the Chaplain--great chemistry between the actors sells this budding romance. I sort of cringed when they interjected the girl soldier (historically true) but it was so obvious from the get go.

I haven't watched the episode yet but I'm fine with spoilers. I'm bummed to hear that Nurse Mary isn't in the episode. The actress is only listed as being in three out of the six episodes this season. I wonder if she's gone from the show for good. I hope not. Her interactions with Dr. Foster were some of my favorites and I'm not at all interested in seeing some old flame of his conveniently show up.

8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Miss Hastings ... and her reaction when McBurney said she will always remind him of the perfect tart.

Oh, meant to add, did anyone NOT immediately see that the young soldier was a girl? 

I didn't figure that out until the kiss accusation.  Felt sad for the soldier female after the friend was so upset at being deceived.  I mean, I get it, but it seemed unnecessarily cruel.

17 hours ago, Fireball said:

Major Clayton (McBurney) is nutz! "All tarts must have the exact same number of peaches!" I totally laughed at his I'll always think of you as Miss Tart to Miss Hastings.

The peaches on the tarts brought to mind The Caine Mutiny and Captain Queeq raving about strawberries.  The McBurney character reminds me a bit of Simcoe from Turn, Washington's Spies.  And not in a good way.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The peaches on the tarts brought to mind The Caine Mutiny and Captain Queeq raving about strawberries.  The McBurney character reminds me a bit of Simcoe from Turn, Washington's Spies.  And not in a good way.

I don't remember that scene, but it's been awhile since I watched Turn. Actually I'm not sure I even finished the first season; the main character Abraham drove me nuts. 

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Hale and Hastings are soooo much better as slightly comical but dedicated to their professions, rather than mustache twirling villains.

Completely agree! I'm really enjoying Hastings & Hale this season.

• Love 1

I miss Nurse Mary, but this was still a good episode, and the one good thing about Nurse Mary being gone for awhile is that we get some more good moments with the supporting cast, which was really nice to see.

I agree with everyone else that Hastings and Hale are so much better this year as comic relief who can be self centered, but are still dedicated to their jobs and come across as actual people, and not just obstacles to Mary and Foster.

I really like Emma and the chaplain, even though it looks like their budding romance is about to hit a few rocks. Wow, Emma has got some serious guts, by the way.

I called the soldier being a girl in about two seconds. I guess people back then weren't really looking for hidden girls, because she was pretty obvious. Still, it did happen, historically, and it was a pretty good story, so I'm alright with it.

I think Alice is really the only Green I really dislike.

• Love 2

Question up thread -- Bullen went to visit his mother. Foster's "...you fell out of her diseased womb" came to mind right away when I heard that... 

I know MEW is much in demand, & should be, but I echo others who hope we see Nurse Mary again. It's likely that with all the cash from HIMYM, JR has the money for a prestige PBS project without seeking/booking gigs as others want/need to that could conflict. Lisette is fine with me as long as she just fleshes out Foster. 

I agree with the TURN Simcoe analogy for the Peaches Major. Be gone.

Three dimensional looks good on Hale & Hastings. I like Samuel & Charlotte too. 

Emma is a 'Steel Magnolia' for sure. Glad her 'Southern Belle' mother, who will get her husband on you, got to see her in action at the end. I have liked GC since Midnight Caller. James wants things to go back to the way they were -- it was a good life for him & his family. During her night with Frank not long ago, Emma wanted to go back there too. 

Taking a life, albeit in self-defense, may do a real number on the chaplain, especially with what he was up to right before it happened. FWIW, I also think Emma has Hopkins on a pedestal & sees him as the opposite of Frank. 

Jimmy is a foolish drip, but I am glad his better angels, such as they are, prevailed to save two lives. Spoiled, pampered Alice lost her Tom when he marched to the front & hates what the war did to him. Immature Alice & Tom's mother, mad with grief at the loss of her only child, going radical makes sense to me -- even with ASR's admittedly over the top accent. 

• Love 2

I think the big thing that annoys me about Lisette is that she seems to be a stand in for Mary to be the female foil against Foster. Like he can't be left alone without some woman keeping him sexually frustrated and fretful.

I can't take Alice seriously. She's like Civil War Barbie Doll. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Actually, various iterations of Barbie have more substance than Alice!

Did Jimmy lose his nerve with th gun or did the gun malfunction? I got the impression that it was the latter.

No, the former. He just couldn't kill them.

I missed seeing Mary, and Jack Falahee.  Is she gone?  Is his character gone for good too?  Their names weren't in the credits.  Can't remember if this show only lists people appearing in the episode, or if the credits change as needed.  I hope they both come back.

What was the point of the storyline with the matron's son?  

The Peaches major reminds me of Simcoe only to the extent he has a high pitched voice.  He's nowhere near as awful as Simcoe.  Simcoe is sadistic and has a small penis.  This guy merely seems a bit eccentric.

Still couldn't care less about any of the Greens, except for Emma.  Emma is stepping it up.  I was impressed with her this episode.  

Emma is a bad ass for standing up to her father and moving out of the Green Mansion into the hospital. I like that the characters are moving in and out of the story because that's what happens during wartime, especially the Civil War.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 4

I thought that it was going to turn out that the disfigured soldier would be Matron's son.  Is this the same Quaker family that Barbie Alice and whatshisname stopped at that time?  

I'm looking forward to seeing what Hale and Hastings do to get rid of McBurney (he's such an odd duck).  

• Love 2

Why were people touring the hospital? Were they all women? There appeared to be a child with them. Were they trying to find loved ones?

That might've been Barbie Alice's Quaker woman, based on the red hair.

I am curious about why a Quaker farmer would have a whale tattoo. Something about Jonah and the whale?

1 hour ago, jschoolgirl said:

Why were people touring the hospital? Were they all women? There appeared to be a child with them. Were they trying to find loved ones?

The (mostly) women are searching for soldier family members.  In that time period, if you heard that your loved one had been wounded, you may not have any idea where he was taken.  No easy way to search a data base for a location!

"Get it yourself!" Oh, snap! You go, Belinda. That bitch Alice had the nerve to accuse her of stealing.

I like Hastings now. It was sweet of her to try to soften the blow for the Matron. I knew the old dude would die when Hastings left the cursed watch on him. Hale was funny pronouncing him dead. Can't wait to see their plan to get rid of McBurney. BTW, isn't Santa Monica on the ocean? 

I don't usually like beards, but Josh Radnor is so hot with one!

8 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

BTW, isn't Santa Monica on the ocean? 

It is, and it's a lovely location with the infamous Muscle Beach and the Santa Monica Pier  I am trying to imagine what it could have looked like back then - must have been gorgeous!  It's a very busy area now, with lots of tourists.  I confess I don't know my history well enough to know what was going on in SoCal during the Civil War, though it would have been just after the Gold Rush in NorCal, so have no idea what Hale would be facing besides a gorgeous beach and nice weather.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don't usually like beards, but Josh Radnor is so hot with one!

I agree! I never thought he was attractive, but that beard makes him look really good.

• Love 1

I had to laugh every time they mentioned that hellhole Santa Monica.  (Picturing Hale on a beach with RayBans and an umbrella drink.)  I was surprised Hale and Hastings didn't try to hide that the guy had died.  (Wacky hijinks ensue.)  

I also laughed when Pinkerton told Belinda he works for THAT Lincoln.  Good for him for noticing the rug was missing.  Hope he nails the Greenes.  Maybe he'll find the gun that Junior is hiding, which will make three charges against them.

Not digging the French woman as a replacement for Mary.  It was nice that her drawing helped identify the wounded man, but she otherwise serves no purpose.

I'm really enjoying Hastings & Hale this season! Hastings trying to soften the news of Matron's son dying. Hale standing up for Samuel (yes Hale was an ass to Samuel first but he did try and do the right thing in the end). I'm looking forward to how these two are going to get rid of McBurney!

Speaking of Matron's son dying; did anyone else find it a bit odd that the letter was so detailed in how the son died? It seemed odd to me.

I hope Bullen dies from the cursed watch. I know I'm a horrible person.

I'm glad Emma is moving out, but I'm not sure exactly what prompted it? Learning that the family killed a man, Alice blaming Belinda for stealing the money, or learning that the family didn't trust her? Probably all of the above.

I still can't take Alice seriously and I can't believe she's actually related to the rest of the family. She just looks to different with her blonde hair and being so short compared to the rest of the family. Now I know IRL there are people who don't really look like their family, but it just bugs me.

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Not digging the French woman as a replacement for Mary.  It was nice that her drawing helped identify the wounded man, but she otherwise serves no purpose.

I'm not really feeling Lisette either. I don't really understand what her purpose is? I thought she was Mary's replacement, but if she's leaving than I don't really see what the point of her is. She only interacts with Foster, so I guess her purpose was to tell Foster to not make the same mistake with Mary. IDK

I'm also not really feeling Charlotte.

12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

"Get it yourself!" Oh, snap! You go, Belinda. That bitch Alice had the nerve to accuse her of stealing.

I liked Belinda telling the Green's off as well. But I also felt it wasn't really realistic.

• Love 1

I really don't like Lisette.  I don't see any chemistry between Lisette and Foster, either; are we supposed to think they both secretly still hold torches for one another?  I'm not buying it.  #TeamMary.

I finally figured out who Alice reminds me of.  Does anyone remember the miniseries North and South with Patrick Swayze from the 80s?  Because Alice Greene = Ashton Main.  

61ff6b1c511ff2e183f03f832527de07.jpg

• Love 1

I guess Jack Falahee's character is really gone?  He escaped from Alexandria and it doesn't look like he is coming back.  I've given up on Aurelia coming back too, I suppose from a storyline perspective it makes sense that she is gone and never returning.  But what about Nurse Mary?  Seems a bit odd that she was presented as one of the two "main" characters of the show and then just disappears midway through the second season?  Two episodes in a row she is gone now.  I hope she comes back for the season finale.

I've enjoyed Hastings and Hale this season.  I guess the showrunners decided these two work better as a comic foil.  It's working.  I thought Hastings was great when trying to soften the blow for Matron Brannan.  She also slept with the man so was probably a bit wistful and regretful.

I didn't understand the point of the French anatomist lady.  Bullen has become pointless, I wish he hadn't returned.  Or the point of Charlotte, other than to give Samuel a love interest who is not Aurelia.

Seems like it is all crashing down for the Greens, and I couldn't care less.  Emma has made her choice and has moved out.  The others are all worthless.  I can't stand the father or the son.

1 hour ago, LucyHoneychrrch said:

I finally figured out who Alice reminds me of.  Does anyone remember the miniseries North and South with Patrick Swayze from the 80s?  Because Alice Greene = Ashton Main.  

61ff6b1c511ff2e183f03f832527de07.jpg

The accent might sound similar, but apart from that, I don't think Alice is akin to Ashton at all.  Ashton was selfish, bitter, jealous, deceitful, disloyal and bitchy.  She was the quintessential "bad girl" counterpart to her "good girl" sister Brett.She tried to seduce Billy Hazard solely because she knew her sister liked him.  Then she tried to have Billy killed.  She slept with her brother's archenemy and then conspired with him to ruin the reputation of her brother and his girlfriend.  She was pure evil.  I don't think Alice is a bad girl.  She may be vapid, but that's about the worst I can say about her.  Everything she has done has been to help her family or to help the South.  She helped her sister's boyfriend escape, and she is doing what she feels is her part to try and help the South succeed, which ultimately would help her family regain their home and their place in society.

Question up thread: Yes, the injured man & his wife are the same Quaker couple that assisted Frank & Alice.

I would add immature brat in addition to "vapid" for Alice. I think the same could be said for Jimmy -- neither really give a thought to what their actions could mean for others, including their family. Emma grew up at the hospital demonstrating the ennobling effect war has on some people.

3 hours ago, Fireball said:

I'm glad Emma is moving out, but I'm not sure exactly what prompted it? Learning that the family killed a man, Alice blaming Belinda for stealing the money, or learning that the family didn't trust her? Probably all of the above.

I think all of the above. Emma's evolved so much that she simply cannot relate to her family anymore & I would imagine, is feeling pretty disgusted with them at the moment. Emma is turning away from her family now as she turned away from Frank after learning he was the fuse man on the plot to blow up the hospital & kill Lincoln. I would not say Emma is for the Union now so much as she's not feeling the people she knows from the Confederate side. Alice is a wannabe spy who got caught, but the Union officer did attempt to rape her. Frank was a Confederate special operative, clearly troubled by & tired of the killing the last we saw of him returning to regular army. Chaplain Hopkins, who regards Emma as a "weakness," killed someone in his youth & it is what led him to religious life, where he has now killed again, albeit in self-defense.

Way to go, Belinda. I think Belinda has been shown to be more & more assertive with the family so it rang true especially as Belinda is free now & has known Jane all her life.   

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I guess Jack Falahee's character is really gone?  He escaped from Alexandria and it doesn't look like he is coming back.

Will they stray that far from real-life with Frank Stringfellow? I will be curious to see.

I felt for the Matron losing her sole surviving son, whatever the scoundrel he was & she knew him to be, she loved him. Hastings & Hale are better as humans. Charlotte walks a line between assertive & abrasive.

The Peaches Major is all wrong about Santa Monica, but Hale would not want to move. JR does look hot with that beard. I suspect MEW's contract was well-written with 'outs' built in for other jobs & the show perhaps fell victim to that a bit. Lisette helped flesh out Foster as I hoped without compromising him & now she's gone for which I am glad & as noted above, fitting with the period portrayed. I do hope we see MEW again at some point, if only to see what became of Mary.

"Get it yourself!" You go Belinda! She was just like "I'm tired of dealing with your dumb, rich asses. I've tried to hold things together here, but its clearly impossible with a group of people with about one working brain cell between them. I'm out. Peace". Well, except for Emma. Emma is awesome. Wish we had seen her "peace out weirdoes" speech. I do like the Greens, except for Alice who gets on my nerves now and forever, but they really do fail at life quite a bit. They were clearly coasting on being rich white genteel southern folks before all this, because now that they actually have to struggle its a bit, its all spying and murder and being idiots.

Poor Matron. Her son seemed like a rogue type (dying falling off a wagon drunk on medicinal booze? Not the most dignified way to go during war time) but he was still her kid. Hasting was really kind and understanding with her. Even Hale ended up doing the right thing, even if he was a dick to Samuel at first. I really enjoy watching everyone teaming up to deal with this new Pointed Haired Boss of the Union Army.

Next up, nurse Mary returns?

I laughed at the British guy being like "ohhhhh, do you have amputees I can stare and point at?!" and Foster was like "No, I'm sooooo sorry *cough asshole cough*".

Edited by tennisgurl
On February 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, LucyHoneychrrch said:

North and South fans! My people!

Actually, I have been thinking that Robb's accent reminds me of Genie Francis's.

Ashton was a way better schemer and planner than Alice, who might literally be the worst spy ever. She hit a particularly low note with the paper in her handbag. Ashton would have had that puppy way down in her corset!