Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I cook bacon both ways, although in the oven is easiest for me. My knives are not sharp that often, lol.

I'm really getting tired of the kids working cattle. Seems they are always doing that. When they are shown being homeschooled they seem to do silly science projects that aren't appropriate for all their different ages. Or watching Ree cooking.

But I'm not try to imply the kids are not well educated....just the way foodtv makes up the little plots for their very, very few actual cooking shows.

The non BBQ -BBQ show is on right now again....is it me or does she use the same darn dressing for every salad and just alters it a hair? Drippy dressing just doesn't seem appetizing lol..unless it is italian or a vinaigrette of course.

Oh and one more thing? My husband who doesn't watch but who hears it in the background said that there could be a drinking game when her show is on...for words like "scrumptious" or "absolutely delicious" LOL...amongst other overused words and phrases.

Not that I would ever be tempted to use any of her recipes but it drives me crazy to hear her walk the viewers through a recipe on what claims to be a cooking show and use descriptors such as "a bit of X", "some Y" or "a whole buncha Z". Use precise measurements or drop the pretense of being a culinary show.

Another pet peeve: using standard pronunciation except for potaytuhs. Always potaytuhs. Because it doesn't get more down-home than this.

Overall, one of my favorite shows to hate-watch. The chemistry among the family members is delectably terrible. Ree's attempts at humor are reliably cringe-worthy. Must-watch television.

• Love 3

Always potaytuhs

But the best part is she doesn't always pronounce it that way.  She forgets to be "down home" now and then and pronounces it potatoes. 

These lily-white "ranchers."  I just can't even.  Watched the dumb "Spring Burning" show.  The way she has them traipse in and sit down to eat with filthy hands and faces is so very fake.  The "dirt" was obviously applied by the makeup department.  Even if it was real, no self-respecting family does that.  You wash up.  Your shoes are left outside or at least in an entry room.  Dirty clothes are one thing; hands, faces and shoes are another.  

But note how after some "long day" of hard work, the clothing is always pretty much spotless.  

I think she tells them to eat like pigs, too, as that makes it all so "down home."

• Love 3

She does the same thing with her g's:  cookin' and bakin' sound very folksy but when you do it only half the time it sounds contrived.

Don't hate me but I actually do use some of the recipes from her books successfully and I enjoy her writing style.  It just doesn't translate to screen for me.  By the same token, I love to watch Nigella Lawson but few of her recipes make me want to grab a spoon.  I just want to go to one of her parties and listen to her speak.

• Love 2

I have also used some of her recipes off her blog, which tend to be much healthier.  Less fat and butter.  Her blog is much better than her show.  I also love Nigella Lawson but have never made one of her recipes, but would love to have a glass of wine with her.  Can't say the same of Ree.

• Love 2

The chemistry among the family members is delectably terrible. Ree's attempts at humor are reliably cringe-worthy. Must-watch television.

They seem like a bunch of strangers forced to sit together in the dining room on a cruise ship rather than a super close, wholesome family. Their interactions are just so incredibly awkward, I'm like, do these people even know each other?! 

• Love 7

They seem like a bunch of strangers forced to sit together in the dining room on a cruise ship rather than a super close, wholesome family. Their interactions are just so incredibly awkward, I'm like, do these people even know each other?! 

This was really apparent today. It seems like all they do is talk about food and how hungry they are or throw around the football.

ANOTHER 16-minute meal show?  GAHHHHH!!!!!  Why that particular interval of time?

I see the "Not-So-Little Drummond Boy" is back at it with the gushing over the food. "Amazing" and "Best Meal Ever." This for shells in melted Velveeta.

Velveeta and shells!

I was watching Friday's episode of The Chew. Michael Symon made a joke to guest Michael Strahan (Live with Kelly and Michael), that he would be surprised how little you have to know about cooking, to have your own cooking show! They all laughed very hard.

• Love 3

Thank you both for that little tidbit from Michael Symon.  Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall during conversations between Michael and Mario Batali about other tv chefs?  I'm betting Ree is a topic.

Yes, more 16 minute meals.  As if the 65 other versions of chicken in a red sauce over pasta (usually she goes for chicken thighs, but this time it was chicken breast) and shrimp something or other over pasta (I frankly couldn't tell the difference between this one and the 25 others) weren't enough.  But this week we were treated to Velveeta shells 'n cheese with some extra grated cheese.  Here's a, "Whoot!," for the old Semi-homemade fans out there.  Ree is at least consistent in her persistent lack of creativity.  I will give her an A+ for that.

And Ree, could I please get a little more salt added to that putanesca?  I'm surprised she didn't throw in a little Velveeta, just to make it super over the top rich and creamy and nummy and super scrumptiously salty.

What a hack.

• Love 10

If you have never had the pleasure, go to the Facebook Page for The Pioneer Woman.  On the left side there is a section "posts to page", click the > and look at the food people make.  There is one with those shells and what looks like pink bacon shreds with peas swimming in opaque piss.  swear.  and the cook says: 

I did it !!! It was amazing !!! Best quick health (sort of) dinner ever

unbelievable.

• Love 4

If you have never had the pleasure, go to the Facebook Page for The Pioneer Woman.  On the left side there is a section "posts to page", click the > and look at the food people make.  There is one with those shells and what looks like pink bacon shreds with peas swimming in opaque piss.  swear.  and the cook says:

unbelievable.

When was last time any of these people have had their cholesterol tested? This is not healthy eating..

Has anyone seen Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals?  I happened to catch it on a CBS station today and about died laughing - such a stark contrast to Ree's 16 Minute Messes.

In today's episode, Jamie (the Englishman) managed to make a delicious-looking chicken fajita meal that would put the Oklahoman Pioneer Woman to shame.  He roasted peppers and onions and even made a poblano salsa, as well as a really cool looking crispy fried beans to go with it.  Seriously, she should stop and leave the cooking to those who can.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

The mystery rolls did look gross, but I can't stand refrigerator dough of any sort.  There is no amount of cheese or butter that can cover up that strange taste and texture.  My issue was that the rest of the meal looked pretty good, everything made fresh, so why crap it up with refrigerator biscuits?  It did seem like a joke between the two of them.

The frittata, the kale salad, and the cake looked good.  I would totally try the kale salad, because it has all the things I love in one bowl - kale, citrus, and goat cheese.  I see from her blog that it is a recreation of a salad she had at the W hotel in Hollywood.  

I did get a laugh, though, at the two sisters in their ugly, flowy tops.

I wonder if I pissed off the woman that runs it? I don't know why I would have, I don't roll that way. I posted under the name Biki.

I don't know what's going on. I checked to see if the site is still live and it is and looks like it gets plenty of traffic. I emailed the site admin a SECOND time, so hopefully, I can get an answer. Weird. Could anybody else who subscribes to Marlborowoman.com help us? Thanks.

Did Ree explain why she cut the icky canned biscuits into quarters? Those did not look good at all.

The salad didn't look too bad, but I'd leave out the jalapenos. I felt like Ree gushed too much over that creamy citrus dressing. At least it wasn't loaded with mayo. How did they prepare the oranges? I heard Ree tell Betsy to "chop them up." I would have loved to have seen one of them attempt to supreme an orange. (I shouldn't laugh because I can't do that myself.)

I think I would have used a slightly thinner glaze over that cake as to not obscure the pretty design of the cake pan. That reminds me of when Aunt Sandy used to go into great detail to make something to look pretty then crap it up with too much icing, dressing, etc.

I am going to the "Small Talk" thread to solicit any reaction to the first episode of "Simply Laura" that aired to today on TCC.

I don't know what's going on. I checked to see if the site is still live and it is and looks like it gets plenty of traffic. I emailed the site admin a SECOND time, so hopefully, I can get an answer. Weird. Could anybody else who subscribes to Marlborowoman.com help us? Thanks.

Did Ree explain why she cut the icky canned biscuits into quarters? Those did not look good at all.

The salad didn't look too bad, but I'd leave out the jalapenos. I felt like Ree gushed too much over that creamy citrus dressing. At least it wasn't loaded with mayo. How did they prepare the oranges? I heard Ree tell Betsy to "chop them up." I would have loved to have seen one of them attempt to supreme an orange. (I shouldn't laugh because I can't do that myself.)

I think I would have used a slightly thinner glaze over that cake as to not obscure the pretty design of the cake pan. That reminds me of when Aunt Sandy used to go into great detail to make something to look pretty then crap it up with too much icing, dressing, etc.

I am going to the "Small Talk" thread to solicit any reaction to the first episode of "Simply Laura" that aired to today on TCC.

I thought that I was the only one having a hard time getting approved and am glad I have company.

• Love 2

I think I would have used a slightly thinner glaze over that cake as to not obscure the pretty design of the cake pan.

I had the same thought, grisgris.  That was a cool Bundt pan (I'm considering getting one), and all she did with the glaze was fill in all the crevices.  It would have been much prettier if she'd left it plain or dusted it with either powdered or superfine sugar.

• Love 2

I watched an episode this evening that I had thought I had seen before, but realized I only thought that because I've seen her make some combination of pasta with chicken and marinara, salad and garlic bread more times than I've seen Ina make a cheese platter.

And really, she has to demonstrate how to stick mini Reese Cups into cookie dough from a tube? Are there really people who need a recipe for that?

• Love 7

And really, she has to demonstrate how to stick mini Reese Cups into cookie dough from a tube? Are there really people who need a recipe for that?

Actually, back in high school, I had a friend who was home alone (parents out for the evening) who called me to walk her through the procedure for making cookies from the tube.

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me but I am constantly annoyed by her use of a cleaver to chop literally everything! That is not the right knife to use!

Hee, it bugs me too. I have a cleaver but I use it for meat and veggies that are tough to chop, like the butternut squashes the size of my head that my husband grew in the garden this year. Freaking enormous -- much easier to cut with a cleaver than a chef's knife.

The frittata looked good, although it did have a ton of stuff in it. I thought it was weird that she said it only had to go into the oven for 10 minutes (was that the time she gave)? I use Ina's smoked salmon frittata recipe and that goes into the oven for almost an hour. Maybe she used fewer eggs? Ina's uses 12.

And I also loved that super cool looking Bundt pan. I agree with everyone's comments about the glaze covering up the neat design, but I'm torn. To me cake isn't cake if it doesn't have some kind of icing or glaze on it. Powdered sugar just wouldn't cut it for me.

• Love 2

Actually, back in high school, I had a friend who was home alone (parents out for the evening) who called me to walk her through the procedure for making cookies from the tube.

Was your friend's name Ree?

• Love 7

Queasy-bo here's the pan. I really want one. anything else she made, that pan is awesomesauce.

Also, it doesn't look bad with the glaze. She did a better job photographing it for her blog though. And I agree that a cake isn't a cake without some glaze of some sort! 

xUk014W.jpg

• Love 2

If you have never had the pleasure, go to the Facebook Page for The Pioneer Woman.  On the left side there is a section "posts to page", click the > and look at the food people make.  There is one with those shells and what looks like pink bacon shreds with peas swimming in opaque piss.  swear.  and the cook says: 

unbelievable.

Omg! Omg! I will not even look. My brain just went for a walk…..

• Love 1

I love vegetables, but I wonder why she doesn't share more recipes for beef dishes.  I mean, living on a ranch and married to a rancher.........it seems like a no brainer to me.  Has she ever said why she cooks mainly pasta and chicken on the show?

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Has she ever said why she cooks mainly pasta and chicken on the show?

I don't think she's said, but I suspect it is because she's the least inventive "chef" on tv who thinks viewers won't notice that she's made five variations of pasta with chicken and red sauce as a quick-cook meal.  Ina's guilty of the same thing to a degree, but at least Ina's base of recipes is a good one.