Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Moving In

• Start Topic

Buckhead is a nice area and is just as cosmopolitan as Midtown. I've stayed in both while on business in Atlanta and did not like Midtown. Besides the fact that my hotel room was small, it was loud, crowded, dirty, and city-grunge for my taste. Buckhead is newer and the area I was was quite accessible to shopping, restaurants etc. all in reasonable distance. Don't know why Vanessa is so in love with Midtown, there are so many better places in Atlanta. I'm glad Tres made his location to work factor a Must Have.

Ashley is as interesting as a box of crackers. Now I'm thinking her motivation for this show was more about money and less about marriage. Her dog is always between David and herself. Hopefully them working apart and being in school all day will thaw her ice out a bit toward him. He is trying so hard.

Samantha is soooo annoying. Her entire personality just irks me, the way she looks, sounds, talks, gestures, moves, thinks, makes faces, her pasty face and dark eye makeup, the fact she even exists....ugh! Why is she the one driving all the time, she's still a horrible driver that doesn't pay attention? Does Neil not value his life?

Maybe Samantha needs a dog. It might stabilize her craziness. Having a responsibility of another human life might force her to see how selfish she always is. Why is it so hard for her to believe that Neil is just a nice, genuine person? Maybe him just being his cool self gave her a wave of guilt for how she has treated him, and now she is trying to find something----anything that she can justify her poor treatment of him with. She fell asleep mid-moving? Yeah...she's lucky she didn't marry Vaughn, he would have plopped down beside her and not done any extra work.

I agree with all the PPs who said the couples are approaching this as a temporary situation. Notice they all got larger places than their original apartments. Hopefully they have extra rooms that they can turn to their own personal space or den. If FYI is footing the bill, why not?

I just wonder if he really makes that much? Would think if he does, he would have had a much better house and much nicer furniture. And maid service too. That place was mess!

Anyone want to dig into his LinkedIn? Must say that is better pic of him.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-norton-26323a47

They aren't paid to be on the show.

Correct, they are not paid to be on this show, but I did do some sleuthing and I found out that the MAFS: the first year couples receive $50,000 per person each year FYI films them after marriage for staying together. Not sure if this is just for them or will be extended to other couples from other seasons.

I noticed that - I also think flaunting his salary and paying so much for a beautiful house was a desperate attempt to buy her affection with money, since it seems like his looks and personality aren't winning her over.

I agree, I noticed that too.  Like I say, this girl is that tightly wound.  What freaking high, unreasonable expectations.  I'd hate to be married to someone like that.  They'd be critical of everything I spent money on like I could have done better.  She said something about saving most of her salary, like if you're not doing that you're being irresponsible.  I noticed she thought Neil spent too much on his dining room set - Meanwhile it just looked average to me.  She is a freaking tightwad and would be a total nightmare to live with.  I'm all for saving, in fact I like thinking of myself as a great budgeter, but she is just over the line.

I think Neil is trying very hard to be cool and chill most of the time, but eventually Psycho Sam triggers anger or hurt feelings. He may have blown up on her a time or two like during their honeymoon. She calls it "passive-aggressive" and that his blowup came out of nowhere, but she doesn't accept culpability for all the little digs and taunts that she constantly makes throughout the day. Of course, the blow ups haven't happened on-camera (probably at night when Production has gone home) which is why she thinks he is playing to the cameras. I'm sure within a few weeks we will witness a couple of Neil blow ups. I bet after it, Sam is walking on eggshells and treating him nicer because it was so out of character from the usual pace of their relationship. If the Therapists don't step in, unfortunately, this could be an issue that causes a huge chasm betwixt them.

He was too nice during the finance discussion. Can't believe he acquiesced to 60/40 and handed the financial reins over to her. I wouldn't want anyone being pushy to me about how I spend my money...husband or wife. Saving 75% is a great goal but why live like an austere monk and have a roommate when you have a good job and can afford nice things? At this rate Neil is going to have to ask Sam about every single little thing he wants to purchase. Saving 50% leaves a slush fund for vacations, gifts, and the occasional splurge. I like how Vanessa approached the finances better. It gives the couple equal responsibility but allows autonomy to make ones own decisions.

The dining table in Neil's apartment was nice, but not enough for PaychoSam to complain about. Who cares how much he spent on it? Samantha didn't even know him then. His apartment was so much nicer and neater than hers....her house was dark, had kooky furnishings, and didn't have a homey feel at all. Just looked like garage sale/Craiglist crap. She comments on the table because it's the only nitpicky thing she could say about his condo.

Edited by Spiderella2
  • Love 9

The way I saw it, David actually didn't say he MADE $175k a year. The exact quote was: "My OTE for the year with the new job is $175,000 a year, so we have some options."  I think what that technically means is that is how much he COULD make if he hits his sales targets, not what he has actually made so far. My step-dad's OTE is super high, but that is not what he typically brings home. He actually brings home about 65-70% of his OTE. Those sales targets can make it very difficult to make the maximum amount. It just depends on the company. 

IMHO, there was absolutely no reason for two people to spend $3,500/month on a rental for only six weeks. Sure, it's big, it has beautiful curb appeal, but some of the rooms look like a museum (though to each their own, I suppose). They could have rented a fabulous place for half that price and saved a lot of money. To me, that does not bode well for David's ultimate responsibility when it comes to money. Spending money to impress people (Ashley, and perhaps the viewers?) is not sustainable in the long term unless a consistent income source is in place. Commission salaries are never certain.

• Love 6

Tres and Vanessa - poor, poor Vanessa....I wouldn't want to live in Buckhead either....I have no idea what type of place Buckhead is, but just the name sounds awful....especially coming from Tres' mouth.  

Vanessa isn't wrong. Buckhead CAN be pretentious. 

For such a "quirky and fun-loving" person, Sam seems surprisingly uptight about money. Sure, she's a bank manager, and it's nice to see that she has some money skills, but to me it was a red flag. If they stay married, I pity Neil, because I think she would be after him all the time about how much money he spends on things she considers frivolous.

Sam is not "quirky and fun loving" like a free spirited artist.  She's quirky like an overly neurotic, anal retentive, hair (and soul) splitting accountant.  Neil may not be a lot of things he probably should be, but he definitely would not match well with THAT.  How stupid of the so-called "experts" not to notice that about her.

She said she wanted a "manly man" but I can't see her backing down and letting a guy with a more dominant personality tell her how they are going to spend their money, or how he or they will do anything else.  So much for what she says she wants because I really doubt that any guy who gave that to her wouldn't meet up with World War III from her.  She clearly wants to wear the pants in the family.

• Love 11

Pride and Prejudice reference-way to class up the joint Pepper Mostly!

Thinking Sam fills her purse with Sweet N' Low packets and napkins from restaurants.

The 60/40 split-is that the tax for having a penis?

Neil will now get PTSD sweats when he enters overly waxy aromatic rooms.

Tres is getting the urge and this is probably to longest he has gone without.

Anyone else thinking that Tres and his crew went to one of finest ATL's gentlemen's club?

Bringing your dad along doesn't make it a boy scout outing.

We do need sound effects to make this show watchable.

Cash register ring when Ashley's eyes widened with arousal when David stated his salary.

And again when she saw the House Beautiful decorated house.

Last season...

Remember the dump that Ryan and Jacklyn lived in?

Even the Cat shower curtain wasn't enough to beautify the place.

Better location scouting producers this season.

• Love 7

Discussing David's concern that she'll run back to her old place, Ashley says, "You've jumped ahead...and you think that's gonna happen...Where did that come from?" Maybe the fact that you've already done exactly that on the first night back, you dolt. David backed down too quickly.

Ashley has no self awareness what so ever. I doubt she ever will.  

I'm having a hard time believing Sam is a bank manager. She's too immature and bitchy. Just because she got a good deal on a mortgage and can write out a budget does not make her a financial genius. Which she obviously thinks she is. 

Vanessa's food looked fresh and delicious. I thought that was a nice gesture. At least she's trying. Did Trey appreciate it? 

• Love 7

One of the running themes on Twitter last night was regarding the house that Neil and Sam eventually rented. "$950 for a house with a pool? I'm moving to Atlanta!" was the typical post. 

The reason that house was $950 is that it is an older (albeit well-maintained) home in an older neighborhood. I could tell (based on my lifelong knowledge of this area) that it was probably built in the 60's or 70's. It's probably in a neighborhood filled with similar homes; some will be well-maintained, but others won't be, and that affects the price.

Even I was surprised to see the pool at that price!  My (newlywed!) daughter and son-in-law just moved into their first home, a rental north of Atlanta. It was built in the 70's, is 3 beds, 1 & 1/2 baths, with about 1100 square feet (and certainly no pool), and they pay $900. It's very basic inside, with older finishes, but clean and taken care of. If it were newer, the same set up would easily go for $1,200-$1,600/month, depending on the finishes and neighborhood.

Random thoughts on the show:

Does anyone else think all of those high-fives from David and Sam sound painful? 

It's a good thing Neil doesn't suffer from allergies (so far as we know).  

If Ashley was only paying $700/month rent, she has a room mate that I don't remember hearing about.

I wonder if Sam will bring the sugar gliders or leave them with her room mate for the time being (same question goes for Marley).

Sam appears to criticize Neil for spending too much on a dining room table (that guests can see) but makes fun of him for having an older, cheaper looking bed (that no one else sees). Oh, good grief, lady. Make up your mind. 

Vanessa - smart plan for the finances. I'd do the exact same thing. And good on you for compromising on location. Let's hope Tres does the same for you in other ways.

• Love 6

Sam was dissing Neil for having good furniture and a nicely decorated home. Sweet tap-dancing Jesus, most of us would be thrilled to meet a guy who cared about his home, had decent taste, and didn't have food on the walls. There is just nothing he can do that will meet with her approval. 

• Love 18

I need to take more Wednesdays off! It's fun to participate, as I have no one to talk about the show with! Usually when I get home the following evening, everyone has posted opinions that are so close to my own, I don't have anything to add, lol.

Neil has the most expressive eyes/eyebrows. it's so entertaining. He works in a laboratory but I think he missed his calling. He should advise politicians on how to talk to people, because he's got that polite, diplomatic, speaking-in-general response thing down to a T. I can maybe understand what Sam is talking about regarding on vs. off camera Neil. But I believe it's because he understands that film lasts forever. I get the vibe that he's not going to say or do anything (intentionally) on camera that could come back to haunt him later. Hence, the diplomat. The peace maker. The door mat? Hopefully not, and he seems to be aware that he needs to be stand up to her. 

David worries me. Dramatic. Emotional. Clingy. Says all the right things but doesn't come off as genuine to me. 

Edited by BonnieLass
  • Love 8

Well, I am hating on the wax things. Walking down that aisle at the supermarkets is not so pleasant. All those chemicals are overpowering.  To think someone would introduce those things into their living environment. .. and Glade is the worst of them all. Even if someone is not into the natural solutions as in essential oils, using the stinky stuff she buys is the worst option. And the quantity she had bespeaks of hoarding tendencies.

Now, seeing as I am always suspicious that some of it is producer-driven I kind of suspect it of her so-called obsession also.

• Love 4
They aren't paid to be on the show.

Impossible. There is no other reason to do it and agree to let the world see what as asshole you are. Ashley. Sam.

I asked about this  on the "Honeymoons" thread and Vinyasa posted these two links:

http://www.bustle.co...in-this-for-the

http://www.thewrap.c...ning-questions/

The producer of the show is quoted as saying the participants get a "nothing stipend".  This is for earlier seasons, but I can't see the amount jumping from stipend to 100K, no matter how desperate the producers were. 

Which makes me wonder why on earth these six people agreed to be on this show.  Of course I think that about most reality shows, but this one is even more complex because it isn't like The Bachelor or another dating show.  You actually marry the person.  On a dating type show you can always back away, turn down the proposal at the end or whatever.  But here you are kind of stuck with this stranger for six weeks.

I suppose they could be doing it for the "fame".  But again I have to wonder what kind of fame comes from reality shows.  Fleeting at best.  I suppose some of them may think they could spin off into another show for bigger bucks, but considering the personalities they are showing I don't see that happening.  

So here are my guesses on why these six signed up:

Vanessa: she is in it for love--I think she's sincerely looking for the right man

Tres: a combination of publicity and "why not"/new adventure

David: can't find the right girl any other way, why not try this

Neil: ditto

As to Ashley, I'm an introvert myself so I know I can come off as standoffish/snobby/everything she's been described to others.  But I also know I'd never, ever in a million years go on a reality show because I know that about myself, and also because it is way out of my comfort zone.  I think Ashley honestly went into this because her long term romance had come to an end and she was a little fearful about finding somebody new, and the casting call or however she was recruited just came up at the right time.  But I'd bet she seriously regrets this now.

Samantha.  Well, I think she's in it for the publicity.  Or was originally.  Everything about how she is portrayed on the show, the squirrels, the goofy way she acted at the wedding just <screams> WATCH ME!!!  I'm just so darn quirky and cute and adorable!  Wouldn't you LOVE to see me on my own show!?!?!  But unfortunately it looks like for most viewers, including myself, the answer is a loud NO.

• Love 3

Okay, this gives us a clue that they get their contestants from a bank of people who are applying for a reality show, any reality show. 

From link in above post:

℣ "Were you upset about Vanessa labeling you as a "Playa" after hearing a little about your past?"

I was really shocked at first when Vanessa got upset about my past. I was so set in leaving my past in the past and moving forward with a fresh start that I kind of assumed that she wanted the same. After speaking with her more about it though, I definitely understood her side. I don't think she was necessarily upset with me, but upset with the fact that she didn't know that not everyone in the experiment originally was looking to be a part of Married At First Sight.

• Love 1

I agree with everybody about Ashley. She has no personality and she's just a big old cold fish. I wonder if she didn't live with her ex because of religious reasons. Maybe she wanted to wait with sex until she got married. But now that she is married, she won't have sex because she doesn't like David. David's salary and the little palace they rented will help, but I'm not sure how much.

The thing is....affection has to start somewhere. High-fiving is something you would even do at a game with a stranger.  Would it hurt to hug David once in a while and sit close to him....even kiss on the cheek or hold hands.  That is definitely something you would already be doing if you were dating someone for a week or so even if you didn't want to take things too much further.  It's usually a progression...this isn't a show about finding a compatible new friend.  He definitely can't make the first move since she has put up so many roadblocks. 

• Love 5

So. I just have to say there is zero qualities about Ashley I enjoy. In fact my Husband and I refer to her as a c you next tuesday :) She is just plain rude and mean to him. And as someone that works in sales OET is rarely what the actual amount he will make. I would estimate him to be lower but still that's a decent income. Especially since she is in school. However, I will say the home they picked was just OVER THE TOP. I feel like David is your average sales dude - bragging about what he could be making and what he has. I wouldn't' be surprised if he's actually pretty broke. 

Tres is still giving me the player vibe.

Sam is still annoying.

The End.

• Love 4

You actually marry the person.  On a dating type show you can always back away, turn down the proposal at the end or whatever.  But here you are kind of stuck with this stranger for six weeks.

Oh, they aren't stuck together for six weeks!  The season 2 people said they rarely stayed overnight together after they moved in the apartments.

Sean was shown on the show driving back to NJ, Ryan R. only showed up at the apt for filming and left Jacklyn's cat alone when she went on a business trip, and who knows where Ryan D was!

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 3

I don't think Tre is a player.  He is a good looking single man who has a history of dating, most do.  He applied to be on a reality show, not expecting that this turned out to be his only option!  He is not taking this seriously because he is not in the market for a wife.  He is attracted to Vanessa and I think he intends to take it as far as it will go.  Even those who aren't looking for marriage sometimes fall in love.   I doubt they will make it far beyond this show but I bet we will see them decide to stay married in the finale.  

David and Ashley will be a big fat no and want a divorce!  

• Love 6

Sam thinks she's nice but she just likes to pick on people. First it was Neil's manliness and when he called her out on that she picks on how he spends his money. Now she's setting him up for "real Neil" vs "camera Neil" BS. I wonder if Neil is basically passive like he said, but is becoming more passive around because of her moodiness and attacks.

I can't believe the experts picked Ashley for this. She is only a year out of a failed 9 yr relationship where she never even lived with the guy and they think she is ready for marriage? NOT!

I don't fault Tres for dating around. It sounds like he was willing to just let marriage happen whenever it felt right vs being on a mission to get married. He does seem to admire his aunts who raised him and recognize that he wants his own family.

• Love 5

Sam was dissing Neil for having good furniture and a nicely decorated home. Sweet tap-dancing Jesus, most of us would be thrilled to meet a guy who cared about his home, had decent taste, and didn't have food on the walls. There is just nothing he can do that will meet with her approval. 

Absolutely nothing.  Why are Neil and David putting up with this crap? Somebody needs to let loose and tell these conceited bitches to get over themselves. Women like them are a dime a dozen in Atlanta or anywhere for that matter. 

• Love 5

And as someone that works in sales OET is rarely what the actual amount he will make. I would estimate him to be lower but still that's a decent income. Especially since she is in school. However, I will say the home they picked was just OVER THE TOP. I feel like David is your average sales dude - bragging about what he could be making and what he has. I wouldn't' be surprised if he's actually pretty broke. 

Yes, this--a thousand times! Not uncommon for sales people to brag about how much they make! And pretty typical to be flashy--a fancy house, high end car, good clothes...but nothing in the bank. 

I will cut Sam a tiny bit of slack on her "aromatherapy" since I have a Yankee Candle problem myself! (right now I'm holding myself back from checking out the end of the year sale!)

• Love 5

The thing is....affection has to start somewhere. High-fiving is something you would even do at a game with a stranger.  Would it hurt to hug David once in a while and sit close to him....even kiss on the cheek or hold hands.  That is definitely something you would already be doing if you were dating someone for a week or so even if you didn't want to take things too much further.  It's usually a progression...this isn't a show about finding a compatible new friend.  He definitely can't make the first move since she has put up so many roadblocks. 

She didn't even let him kiss her on the cheek. She keeps saying he's a stranger, but after spending all those days together they shouldn't be strangers anymore. If she actually talked to him (instead of checking her e-mails on her phone or whatever she keeps doing whenever they drive somewhere) and tried to get to know him, he would not feel like a stranger by now. She just doesn't make any effort whatsoever. I really don't know what she had imagined about this whole process. If she's such an introvert, she shouldn't have signed up for a TV show. She probably could have found a matchmaker to find someone for her. Someone she could actually meet before saying "I do" - and all that without cameras around. Maybe now that she thinks that David could provide for her financially, she'll warm up to him, but she still seems very standoffish.

And I agree with everybody about the house. It's too big, too expensive, and too fancy for them. I think it's very likely that David wanted to finally get some good points with Ashley, but who knows if he could actually keep this up in the long term.

Edited by BunnySlippers
  • Love 8

My first impression last night was that David is extremely needy and dramatic.  Looking for problems before there aren't any.    He knows Ashley isn't attracted to him so her wanting a night alone to me is no big deal.    He talks about saving a marriage when its really just an experiment on tv.    I get a very creepy vibe from him.

Did anyone else recognize Cromwell the realtor?    Cromwell may be a realtor now, but not too long ago he was featured on Property Virgins as an obnoxious preening buyer with a girlfriend.    I think the girlfriend was probably a paid to look like a girlfriend, girlfriend.

I lived in Atlanta for a little while (in Buckhead) and it is considered the most affluent area.  Extremely pricey.

People who want to live in a big home but cannot even afford a small condo in Buckhead live outside the perimeter.   The RHOA mostly live outside the perimeter in places like Roswell and Marietta.

I can't mock the candle melts because I have a huge amount of candles and melts.   I do not buy Glade melts though.....yuck.    I do not burn candles according to my mood however.    Maybe seasonal since I am currently using a lot of peppermint?

David getting so upset about his fathers death seemed very over the top since he died so long ago.   I can understand being a little sad, but not the way he reacted.    He reminded me of a out of control , drama queen 12 year old girl flinging himself into the bathroom.

This show is imo 100 % producer driven and fake, but I like watching it.     

• Love 7

Ashley doesn't try to actually converse with David at all. She said herself while they were in Arizona that she was "running out of small talk". She should be concentrating on getting to know him, not making small talk! She does all those things one does when one isn't interested in chatting with a stranger on a bus or in an elevator-checks her phone, looks off into the middle distance, doesn't respond. She occasionally rewards him with a tight, humorless smile. I find her worse than Sam. 

• Love 9

Coming back to post something I found online.    I googled the Audi dealership in Buckhead which I used to go to when I lived there for oil changes.  Tres does NOT work there.   

He works outside the perimeter at the Roswell dealer. Some of his reviews date back to 2014.     Roswell , again is outside the perimeter , Buckhead is inside the perimeter.  

So, why were they talking about him wanting to live in Buckhead close to work?  

• Love 1

Here's my take.

I think that Tres probably dated a whole lot and it makes perfect sense because of the numbers.  There are just more straight black women doing well job/life/money wise than black men; that plus many black women have a "nothing but a black man" belief.  So black men like Tres can have their pick.  If he and Vanessa break up, he will probably have more women looking him up while Vanessa will still be holding out for her "black prince."

As for Ashley, that's very typical; women are judged by their looks while men are judged by their pocketbooks; unfair but that's what way it still is apparently.  What I have always disliked about that is whomever controls the purse, controls the relationship.  I think David, like Vanessa is in this to get married; a shame those two aren't together.

I don't get Sam at all.  Neil does creep me out because his eyes aren't level with each other and when he widens them, it makes him look insane.  Still, as was said before, put Neil in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and he'll have scores of women wanted to get with him.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

Here's my take.

I think that Tres probably dated a whole lot and it makes perfect sense because of the numbers.  There are just more straight black women doing well job/life/money wise than black men; that plus many black women have a "nothing but a black man" belief.  So black men like Tres can have their pick.  If he and Vanessa break up, he will probably have more women looking him up while Vanessa will still be holding out for her "black prince."

I hadn't heard that. Interesting, and Vanessa does seem to have her act together financially. But, honestly, all I noticed about her was that black top she was wearing...I know that makes me shallow.

Watching this episode just confirmed everything I though from episode 1.

Ashley is really money-orientated. only gave a shit about David when she found out how much money he made. They way she even looks at him is appalling. You can see the pure disdain and disgust in her face. David is starting to realize that they are doomed. His chipper attitude is starting to wear down.

I think that Sam may be right about Neil being fake. I saw his ironic hipster asshole vibes from episode 1. I think that he is very aware of the camera and that annoys Sam who is being 100% real. Cameras or no cameras.

I still do not understand why Vanessa had to sign up for this show to find a husband. She has all the qualities that most men are looking for. Tres lucked out. She is the most genuine person on the show. I think he is really immature and has no experience in being in a committed relationship. I do not think that 6 weeks is enough for him to grow.

• Love 4

This show is imo 100 % producer driven and fake, but I like watching it.

Oh, absolutely is it producer driven! I like watching it too.

Still not into these Season 3 people like I was the Season 2. Anyone think the same?

• Love 1

yea....I don't think Tres is malicious in his actions but he is very immature and also very oblivious. I think he genuinely likes Vanessa, I'm just not sure if he's at the crossroad yet where he could fully appreciate her.

• Love 4

I think Tres and Vanessa are both just physically attracted to each other and nothing more.  I do not think they have anything at all in common or will be able to find a true connection with each other.

Vanessa probably has the ability to have a good marriage, just not with Tres.

To me, he has no depth, really nothing more than shallow conversation for a few dates until he runs on empty.   He might be a nice guy though. But I still think his mom issues will prevent him from ever being in a mature and genuine relationship.

• Love 7

Coming back to post something I found online.    I googled the Audi dealership in Buckhead which I used to go to when I lived there for oil changes.  Tres does NOT work there.   

He works outside the perimeter at the Roswell dealer. Some of his reviews date back to 2014.     Roswell , again is outside the perimeter , Buckhead is inside the perimeter.  

So, why were they talking about him wanting to live in Buckhead close to work?  

Is Buckhead closer to Roswell than Midtown is?  90 minutes in traffic to his dealership doesn't sound like fun to me, so I get that he'd want to live closer even if not right in the location of the dealership.

I think that Sam may be right about Neil being fake. I saw his ironic hipster asshole vibes from episode 1. I think that he is very aware of the camera and that annoys Sam who is being 100% real. Cameras or no cameras.

I could have sworn she was saying he was cooler when the cameras are not there than when they are.  He has been really nice to her on camera, so I don't get what her problem is if he's even nicer than that when the cameras aren't rolling.

• Love 4

I find Sam's insistence that there is a "Camera Neil" and a "Real Neil" cracks me up.  I keep thinking about the singing frog in the cartoon.  For those of you too young to know, the frog would act like a normal frog around other people.  However, whenever you were alone with the frog it would don a top hat and cane and start singing "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaal".  Everyone else would think you were crazy for seeing a singing dancing frog.

So I am imagining Neil doing some high kicks and hoofing it up when the cameras are off and Sam going "Did you see that?  I'M NOT CRAZY!".

• Love 14

It's hard to tell what Sam means by the "Neil is different around the cameras" bit. She has also said she has "no complaints about Neil as a person, he is AMAZING." So if he is "different" around the cameras, she must not be too terribly concerned about it, and I suspect the producers are just screwing with us, editing-wise.

Ashley is such a fuckin' wet mop. Holy shit. I would rather be married to Shithead Sam at this point.

Vanessa and Tres bore me, but that's probably a good thing for their future. Her meal looked good. But what was that nonsense about how she hasn't bothered to train her dog to pee outside?!

Edited to add, I thought it was so bizarre how much Ashley hated David's apartment. It seemed perfectly nice to me! Especially for a single guy! It was clean, decently decorated...she acted like it was literally a crack house.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 7

Well, I am hating on the wax things. Walking down that aisle at the supermarkets is not so pleasant. All those chemicals are overpowering.  To think someone would introduce those things into their living environment. .. and Glade is the worst of them all. Even if someone is not into the natural solutions as in essential oils, using the stinky stuff she buys is the worst option. And the quantity she had bespeaks of hoarding tendencies.

Now, seeing as I am always suspicious that some of it is producer-driven I kind of suspect it of her so-called obsession also.

My mom loves wax melts..though maybe not at the same level that Sam does. It's really interesting that you talk about how unpleasant they are because my one complaint about when my mom used them is that I don't smell anything. And she uses Glade too. You talk about the aisle, so maybe it's the other things often sold on the same aisle that's getting to you.

When Neil said that he heard about her "infamous" collection, and she seemed to get playful and embarrased I honestly thought she had a weird collection of dildos or something...wax melts were quite the disappointment, and I didn't see the big deal. And since they barely smell and melt really quickly, I don't even see the big deal about the amount she had.

David yelling and storming out was kind of scary. I wonder if he's been hiding that other side of him until now or did Ashley's cold attitude just finally got to him. He seems like such a fun loving guy; I feel sorry for him for having been paired with an icicle.

I was kind of worried that he was violent...but he went into the bathroom and cried, so I think he's just sensitive. I recorded MAFS and Black Love (which comes on right after) and my DVR cut the preview at the end of MAFS off in the middle and started the rest with the recording of Black Love, but didn't he shout something like "it's been a hard day"? Maybe something at work or with Vanessa. I'm really looking forward to see the next episode.

• Love 3

two things:

Vanessa didn't just flip the pee blanket over. When she left with the pee blanket and came back and put another one down she said "you're lucky I have another one". It was a different blanket

For those who don't know, wax melts are a safer alternative to burning candles. they're just blocks of scented candle wax (scented candles without wicks) that you place on a warm heated base. It slowly melts spreading it's scent around the room/home. Their safer then candles because of course, no flame. I don't think it's a Southern thing, but I'm from South Carolina and my mom loves them, so maybe...though they are made my Glade, a brand that is not only in the South, so I think it's something done every where...just a lot of people have never heard of them.

Edited by ralph
  • Love 3

Is Buckhead closer to Roswell than Midtown is?  90 minutes in traffic to his dealership doesn't sound like fun to me, so I get that he'd want to live closer even if not right in the location of the dealership.

No, Midtown is much closer to Buckhead.    Roswell, while still in Fulton County is considered a burb.  For instance my zip code was 30342 in Buckhead, while zips in Roswell are 30075-30077.      

Driving anywhere in Atlanta is not much fun.   I have lived in quite a few major cities and have always considered Atlanta the worst.  Its always congested and people drive scary fast and crazy.

two things:

Vanessa didn't just flip the pee blanket over. When she left with the pee blanket and came back and put another one down she said "you're lucky I have another one". It was a different blanket

For those who don't know, wax melts are a safer alternative to burning candles. they're just blocks of scented candle wax (scented candles without wicks) that you place on a warm heated base. It slowly melts spreading it's scent aroundth room/home. Their safer then candles because of course, no flame. It never occurred to me that it could be a "southern thing", but I'm from South Carolina and my mom loves them, so maybe...though they are made my Glade, an international brand, so I think it's something down every where...just a lot of people don't have never heard of them.

My melter is fueled by tealights , so not all of them are flameless.      

Lots of people make melts.     I buy mine from a handcrafter in rural PA from her website.      I also make melts by scooping an amount out of a regular candle from a jar.   I prefer the melter because there is no soot and I can also mix scents together.

• Love 1

I recognise David and Ashley's home. It was featured on a website about midtown homes. It was close to Piedmont Park or somewhere. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's close to 3k sq ft and has 3 bedrooms with an optional 4th. A bit much for a six week experiment and a couple with no children. Good on the producers for finding decent places and not hole in the wall spots. (Ryan and Jac last season anyone?)

Ashley is really cold, and she uses her dog as a shield. If she would just try to befriend him, she might learn to like him. Even if nothing romantic ever happens, treat him like a decent human being. She's going into healthcare. I sincerely hope she goes for administrative work or a field with limited patient interaction. I'm honestly believing that she signed up for this solely because of her age and needing a proper husband. Maybe familial pressure or wanting to start fresh. At any rate, how was she considered ready for marriage when she's only had one serious relationship? They never lived together. She didn't say ex-fiancee. From high school to grad school and they never lived together? Even Prince William and Catherine, DoC lived together as roomies and then as a couple. Maybe she's really religious and doesn't believe in that. At any rate, it's hard to watch her looking at him like he's not on her level.

Tres and Vanessa are cute together. It's possible he kept his options open. My husband and I have been married 13 years, and he used to tell people, "I was just having fun when I met my wife. She showed me something different, and I've never looked back." It's possible Vanessa could be a source of stability and consistency. She could be the motivation for him to want something different other than whatever he was doing before. It was sweet of her to cook for him, and it looked delicious. They're refreshing compared to the other two couples.

Sam and her wax melts...alrighty then. I have never seen those before. I was a bit put off when she said each colour represents a mood/feeling. All I could think was, "This and the sugar gliders did not send off alarm bells." I wanted to see Neil's reactions to those. I still don't feel like she's in it for the marriage. I'm not keen on her personality, so she is not my favourite tisane. Her edit could be wonky, or she could just not be the easiest person to get on with.

• Love 4
My melter is fueled by tealights , so not all of them are flameless.      

Lots of people make melts.     I buy mine from a handcrafter in rural PA from her website.      I also make melts by scooping an amount out of a regular candle from a jar.   I prefer the melter because there is no soot and I can also mix scents together.

i always thought  the whole point is to be flamesless, so your melter is unique

I assumed other people make wax melts, I just thought that sense a major company is in on it, it was most likely not a regional thing.

My mom also makes her own by hacking of bits of scented candles (lol). Like you, she likes to mix scents as well. Which she does also, by hacking off bits of multiple scented candles.

Edited by ralph

Sam is just not into Neil and since she has the maturity of a five year old, she is resenting being forced to spend time with him.  If she was attracted to Neil, you bet she would put a comb through that hair and try to look her best.  Right now, it seems like she is trying to piss him off, hoping he walks away.

At this point, I am beginning to think Neil would of been happy with a trash bag in a wedding dress, the way he seems to have no opinion of her treatment of him.  Mind you... this is in keeping with the nature of the "experiment"...you are supposed to be up for anything, but he seems a little too laid back about it all.

• Love 2

Sorry if my comments all over the place but I usually watch it on Wed and throw the thoughts down as I watch. 

David and Ashley...I noticed that during the breakfast on the last day of the honeymoon that she got what he said about how he thought there would be more talking (or something like that) and she giggled a little and said "oh burn." It looked like she had no makeup on during the one shot. Which she looks great without it. Unlike another one on the show. LOL I feel bad for him at this point. Going back to their own places was her totally running away from him. No wonder he said what he did about using it as a crutch. I would like to know how her 9 yr relationship worked. If she never lived with the guy during that many years why? Was there sex involved and if not I can't see how a guy wouldn't be stepping out. Not that it would be ok but it would be interesting to hear from her on how that relationship was. And not surprised the house costs so much considering its furnished too. Its a rare thing in the US for places to be furnished when you rent them. Which to me is fine but obviously in this situation its probably better so you don't have to buy stuff or drag your things from your place to the new one incase it doesn't work (Vaughn and his bed come to mind). I did laugh at the toilet handle. It was humorous how she told him and he was freaking inside probably thinking its something about him. She seemed really great with his mom around. Its nice to see some smiles and not coldness. 

Neil and Sam...she obviously doesn't want him. His face when he talked about how they hug at times. LOL As others have said, she wants a man that takes control and is in charge but if that was the case then why isn't she letting him drive all the time? Sam to me is just a horrible person and so fake. She will never account for her own behavior in things. Either she will end up alone in life or she will find some man that will take the abuse she dishes out because they don't want to be alone and understand they deserve better. What is with her rolling her eyes all over when she was talking about her wax melts? That is obviously overload and I kind of find her reasoning for them to be a bit hard to swallow. Yet at the same time I won't say more than that because I love my Bath and Body Works body sprays BUT I don't have nowhere near what she has in wax. I just like having different scents for the seasons. LOL Now where she gets that her place though has a homey feel I don't see it. What does her roommate say about all those waxes and smells? LOL How does she know if Neil had a deal or not on his place? He said he was paying $1200 on mortgage and HOA. That isn't to bad honestly. Heck around my area you would be lucky to even have rent that much for an apartment. Really why aren't they splitting rent? Why does it need to be him more than her? I have a feeling she isn't so great with her own money. I can also see her being nice for a short time then BAM back to her abusive ways the next minute. I have seen that to many times over my years. Not a fun thing to deal with. I think she is full of crap about Neil being different off camera. I wouldn't be surprised if she is worse off camera in behavior and its her way of trying to make it seem like maybe he is the bad one and she isn't when really she is terrible. I find it hard to believe she just fell asleep on the couch like that too. 

Tres and Vanessa...sorry but he is such a pig and it is so obvious what he wants and that is it. Once he gets that I could see him change in a way that she won't like at all. And OMG $200-300 at a bar in a night!!! Is it just me or does Vanessa's eyes always look glazed over and droopy lids? Like she had been drinking or is high? Not saying she is but its how she looks to me all the time. And her dog peeing on that blanket, I was thinking maybe the dog is trying to tell her something. LOL I agree with those of you saying she laughs to much. Its WAY to much and she needs to chill on it. 

As for the previews, yikes. I can imagine Ashley and David will be fine. I think she may not have realized something and he was set off being upset over his dad's death. I can imagine that no matter when it happens if you are close to that parent you don't just get over it. I'm disappointed in Vanessa being suckered into Tres' web of crap and having sex with him. I knew it wouldn't take her long though. The way he was about it just in the preview was a bit disgusting and came off as that is all he wanted and he finally got it. Which to me is how he came off anyway. Sam seems to just be wanting to find another issue to start her crap. That girl is NEVER going to be happy in her life. I don't know if even getting help at this point would do a thing for her. Plus I would bet they are all very different when the cameras are off and gone. Maybe some more than others or not much different but they would be able to be more open with cameras not around and a whole crew of people too. 

• Love 2

Ashley is really cold, and she uses her dog as a shield. If she would just try to befriend him, she might learn to like him. Even if nothing romantic ever happens, treat him like a decent human being. She's going into healthcare. I sincerely hope she goes for administrative work or a field with limited patient interaction. I'm honestly believing that she signed up for this solely because of her age and needing a proper husband. Maybe familial pressure or wanting to start fresh. At any rate, how was she considered ready for marriage when she's only had one serious relationship? They never lived together. She didn't say ex-fiancee. From high school to grad school and they never lived together? Even Prince William and Catherine, DoC lived together as roomies and then as a couple. Maybe she's really religious and doesn't believe in that. At any rate, it's hard to watch her looking at him like he's not on her level.

Tres and Vanessa are cute together. It's possible he kept his options open. My husband and I have been married 13 years, and he used to tell people, "I was just having fun when I met my wife. She showed me something different, and I've never looked back." It's possible Vanessa could be a source of stability and consistency. 

I don't think her only having had one serious relationship means she's not ready for marriage. My best friend married the first guy she was serious with. She met him at 24 (married at 28, and he's the only person she's ever slept with although they slept together early in the relationship). She'd dated a few people casually in high school and college but nothing really stuck. Now, do I think Ashley is ready for marriage? No. I'm very curious about that relationship and why it didn't end sooner, frankly. OK, they were in high school and college so wouldn't be thinking about marriage or living together then, but I'd think once they were established in adult life they'd start thinking about moving forward. And maybe after a year or two of being in the "real world," if one of them (I'm guessing him but who knows) isn't interested in moving forward, that's the time to cut bait. I'm sure we all know people who stayed in relationships WAY too long, and I'm guessing that happened with Ashley. I don't know her, but a year strikes me as very soon to jump into something after a nine-year relationship, although maybe it was over before it was over.

Dating is terrible. One of my best friends and I both lost love within the past few months (she is more ready to move on than I am; I'm not there yet) and we're both like "UGH, NOT AGAIN. We have to make more profiles? Lord, no." So I can see Ashley, who hasn't really had to date (and dating in high school is a totally different thing than dating in the age of Tinder), wanting to retreat into the comfort of a serious relationship again while skipping over all the work it takes to find one.

Re: Tres and Vanessa, I had a friend years ago who swore up and down that he was going to stay single for "a long time" and he was enjoying playing the field. He was a player-type and treated a few women pretty callously (leading them to believe things were more serious than they were so he could sleep with them, etc.). And a couple of years later he met a woman, married her within 18 months, and is now a SAHD in the Jersey 'burbs. (She out-earns him.) He met her, she was like "Play all you want but I ain't about that life, so if that's what you want, take care and good luck." He realized very quickly that he "wanted to keep her around" and they fell in love. It can happen, but that's not quite the impression I'm getting with Tres. I don't think he has ill intentions, but I do think he's young, probably kind of immature, and because he was playing the field right up until he did this show (and because I think I read that he was recruited from a casting pool of another show?), isn't actually thinking about marriage. It seems like he has an attitude of "she's pretty and there's chemistry, so whatever happens happens" and hers is more "This is my husband, I am in this shit, we are going to grow old together and have kids." I don't think he's opposed to that, I just think he's not actively working towards it. Even what Vanessa said in an earlier episode about doing a lot of work on herself to move on after her last relationship shows me that she's serious about finding love. I can't see Tres saying something like that.

• Love 5
What is with her rolling her eyes all over when she was talking about her wax melts?

The wax melts are personal to her and she did not want his gross googly eyed weird beard self touching them. I bet you this is what she was thinking in her head.

• Love 1