Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

On 04/12/2017 at 12:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

Weird to know that Luigi of all people treats her better than her actual family. I was more disturbed that they basically rewrote the origins of both Homer's receding hair and Maggie's pacifier than Lisa's awful teacher (who definitely had similar shades of Bart's kindergarten teacher) and fourteen year old Ralph with hair.

What origin? They get them for $1.95 down at the Safeway.

On 04/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jar Jar Binks and Qui-Gon Jinn ?  Dial up Modem to the Internet ?? Nirvana ? What the hell ?  Because Lisa looked to be about 2 in the piano scene, which would put them around 1984 -- predating Star Wars Episode 1, the Internet AND Nirvana. Lisa even took that 1989 Bleeding Gums Murphy poster with her to Harvard, so we know the piano scene occurred years before 1989.

The Simpsons takes place in the present day, so that scene would have been circa 2011. The 90s nostalgia makes sense. As for the poster, I'm guessing she found it on eBay or something similar.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, TDT said:

Only thing missing was Homer saying something like"The Simpsons was recorded  before a animated studio audience." though that probably wouldve led to Norman Lear replying"This gives me another reason to sue!" lol

They did a studio audience joke in "Lisa's Sax", the first time they did the All in the Family bit.

On 06/12/2017 at 1:20 AM, xander874 said:

I liked this episode, but it was weird to me that Maggie seemed the same age when Lisa was 7 than she is in the "present" of the show. She should've been a newborn at that point.

She was visibly younger than normal.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:49 AM, Not4Me said:

For me, I know her as Madonna’s best gal pal for over 30 years. And she’s been in a number of her music videos.

She's the dancer on "our" far right.

She's the woman sitting on the couch with Madonna about a minute into the video.

She's the woman in black (with the black hat) sitting on Madonna's right (our left).

She also appears in "Everybody", "Papa Don't Preach", and "Justify My Love".

Intro: The Flintstones Simpstones Simpsons

Billboard: Mr. Burns Was Shot in 1995, and still no arrests? How come, Chief Wiggum? Paid for by the comittee to lock up the baby.

Chalkboard: I Will Not Bet On Bart in the Final Four

Couch Gag: (We're lumberjacks, why is that funny?)

Ooh, Tracy Ullman Simpsons! And Lisa leaving band practice actually leads to a plot.

"It's not just Florida, it's Gainesville!" They really nailed having to go somewhere you really don't want to go to. Like that time they almost went to Dayton, Ohio. 

I'm like Homer when it comes to New Orleans, I'd go on a food tour. And I'm guessing that every single place Homer goes to is real. Well, except for the Upchuck Mangione Museum (that was great).  I gotta admit, meeting Bleeding Gums' nephew was much better than Hologram Bleeding Gums Murphy, as was Lisa talking to the Louie Armstrong statute. It wasn't the first time Lisa got a statue to talk to her, but the old days would've seen her visit a much less popular one (a la Jefferson). The beignet tag had better animation than, well, anything this whole season.

So wait, it's night time in New Orleans but daytime in Springfield? That of all things was what bothered me. Not even a cameo by Big Daddy (his VO died years ago, but still).

Not even Maggie likes Milhouse. Understandable.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

New Orleans is exactly the place The Simpsons would love. Homer for the food. Lisa for the music. Bart for the voodoo. Marge for the Religion.

I liked the Billboard gag and then having Maggie rip the head off of a Millhouse voodoo doll.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Not even Maggie likes Milhouse. Understandable.

I loved how Maggie was so adamant that she was not interested in Milhouse, and then breaks out the voodoo doll that apparently worked when she bent Milhouse's arm.

It was a decent episode for #635 -- can't believe it took them this long to go to New Orleans.

I liked Lisa's Box of Shattered Dreams -- Mathlete disqualified by a No. 3 pencil

Skinner: "Mr. Largo, what is going on here ?"
Largo: "I'm trying to encourage a student to give up on her dreams."
Skinner: "You're crushing it as always Dewey."  <fistbump with Largo> "I'll take it from here."

Homer: "Whoo-hoo ! I'm suffering from beer vertigo."

The web site that Lisa was looking up her problem was Hypochndri-app.

Loved that Wiggum had the yips while trying to electrocute Snake, so Snake just did it himself because he didn't have the patience for Wiggum to get it done.

Lisa: "Some nights there isn't enough kale in the world to brighten a girl's mood."

Homer: "I wonder, do they have jazz in New Orleans ?"    Oh, Homer.

I loved Lisa's Legoland driver's license -- and it was still better than Homer's actual driver's license (Suspended. Weight is a lie). Homer's weight on his license says 239 lbs, but it also says his height is 6 ft.  Sex. M, Hair: No

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It was a decent episode for #635 -- can't believe it took them this long to go to New Orleans.

Technically, they were in New Orleans during Chief Wiggum, PI back in season 8.

1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Homer: "Whoo-hoo ! I'm suffering from beer vertigo."

Even better: "Beer-tigo"

• Love 1
On 4/22/2018 at 8:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

I'm like Homer when it comes to New Orleans, I'd go on a food tour. And I'm guessing that every single place Homer goes to is real.

Yup! And the Spotted Cat Jazz Club. They all looked exactly as they really do. Homer going through all the foods was basically me when recommending places to eat in New Orleans!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, RayAdverb said:

What is the context of this?  What did Hank Azaria say?

Azaria basically said that maybe the show should get some Indian American writers in the writing room to write Apu and they shouldn't be a "token" writer either.

3 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Azaria basically said that maybe the show should get some Indian American writers in the writing room to write Apu and they shouldn't be a "token" writer either.

Also that he's willing to step back and let an actual Indian actor voice Apu:

Edited by VCRTracking
On 4/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, RayAdverb said:

Well as long as the character itself isn't completely eliminated, it's a fair compromise.

Definitely. Grew up with Hank as Apu and enjoyed him as a character in terms of helping others in town out, and I hope whoever voices Apu next does a nice job with him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Definitely. Grew up with Hank as Apu and enjoyed him as a character in terms of helping others in town out, and I hope whoever voices Apu next does a nice job with him.

If they get a new voice actor do they keep Apu sounding the same though? Since I thought the stereotypical Indian accent was as much a problem as the fact that the character was voiced by a white guy.

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

If they get a new voice actor do they keep Apu sounding the same though? Since I thought the stereotypical Indian accent was as much a problem as the fact that the character was voiced by a white guy.

I wondered the same thing.  Azaria based the voice off a real Indian store clerk he knew.  From my experience Indians, when their accent isn't too thick, sound sort of like Apu but the voice is a little deeper.  They sound closer to like his brother Sanjay or what Apu sounded like that time he was trying to pretend to be American to avoid deportation.

Of course, between auditions and the long production time for an episode, it'll probably be close to a year before we hear any new Apu.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

"It's not just Florida, it's Gainesville!"

I was just in Gainesville at the beginning of the month. 

On 4/22/2018 at 7:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Homer's weight on his license says 239 lbs, but it also says his height is 6 ft.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:06 PM, Wilbur Whateley said:

239 lbs was Trump's purported weight on his recent physical.  

That's what I thought they were going for.

I loved the repeating sight gag of the foods Homer was eating with Lisa just standing there. 

• Love 2

Azaria also voices Carl, Lou and Drederick Tatum, and there are no black voice actor regulars in the cast, either.  So if the broader issue is proper representation of underrepresented groups in media, I wonder if anything will come of that.  Of course, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a show that had an Indian immigrant as a regular, so Indians are marginalized to an even larger extent on that front.  Azaria made a good point about needing minority writers.  The regular writers were all white men during the seasons that I watched regularly.  I don’t know if that is still true.

Azaria, Shearer, Castellaneta and MacNeille are sort of in a class of their own by virtue of being such talented vocal mimics that they can do a variety of accents, dialects and sounds, so maybe “the problem” of voicing over characters of different races and ethnic backgrounds is really just limited to them, although didn’t a white guy voice Cleveland from Family Guy/ The Cleveland Show?  I always thought that was a little weird.

59 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Azaria also voices Carl, Lou and Drederick Tatum, and there are no black voice actor regulars in the cast, either.  So if the broader issue is proper representation of underrepresented groups in media, I wonder if anything will come of that.  Of course, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a show that had an Indian immigrant as a regular, so Indians are marginalized to an even larger extent on that front.  Azaria made a good point about needing minority writers.  The regular writers were all white men during the seasons that I watched regularly.  I don’t know if that is still true.

Azaria, Shearer, Castellaneta and MacNeille are sort of in a class of their own by virtue of being such talented vocal mimics that they can do a variety of accents, dialects and sounds, so maybe “the problem” of voicing over characters of different races and ethnic backgrounds is really just limited to them, although didn’t a white guy voice Cleveland from Family Guy/ The Cleveland Show?  I always thought that was a little weird.

Hank also does Bumblebee Man and Dr. Nick. It is a weird issue and the fact that none of those other characters have been really brought up makes the cynic in me think they are trying to just deal with bad PR.

It is extra weird when you consider that for Lou, Azaria is just doing a bad Stallone impression, knowing that should he be replaced by a black voice actor?

• Love 2

So true, @Kel Varnsen.  And add to that the thought that pops into my mind that as a white woman, I really have no place to have an opinion on whether Azaria voicing any of those minority characters is offensive.  And also that my judgment is clouded by the enormous adoration I had and still have for seasons 1 through 10ish, the writers who wrote it, and the enormous vocal talents of those who voiced it.  (It’s amazingly impressive to me that Azaria can be Chief Wiggim and Dr. Nick and that Shearer can be Flanders and Judge Snyder.)

Is Apu himself a negative stereotype?  Like I said, I have no place to judge, but I look at who he was when I watched, and I do have trouble seeing it:  computer science doctorate who is ride-or-die with his job (literally).  Basically a nice guy who has some contempt for his customers and later really is worn down by his family.  A talented vocal mimic can do a good voice, is that terrible?  The terrible part to me is that there just was (not sure if there still is because I don’t follow the show anymore) zero diversity among the producers, writers and talent.  But like I said, my judgment is clouded by love for the show and my own privilege.

That was awesome !!  One of the better episodes in a while. Really well-written. 

The mocking of NCIS. 

The return of the demolition derby -- complete with Truckasaurus II.
"No overt racism".  "If you can prove racism, free cola."
Let's not forget a very drunk Billy Joel

The opening segment with Maggie gunning down Marshall Dillon from 'Gunsmoke' to commemorate 'The Simpsons' taking the crown for longest running scripted series.

Moe's pickled egg recycling system.

Homer's cone of silence upgrade to Marge's car.

Homer's quip about episodes not giving you neat endings that tie up in a bow -- only to get that exact ending.

Car-rak Obama the Affordable Healthcare mobile (which you can't kill no matter how hard you try) -- complete with Obama head and skulls, with the Hope poster on the side.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Homer gets Flanders a job at the plant, and he soon learns that no good deed goes unpunished when Flanders starts to insist on carpools and demands more from Homer's work performance. Meanwhile, Marge feels as though their marriage has lost its spark.

Intro: Take THAT, Gunsmoke!

This is it, number 636, the one where they beat Gunsmoke! So...now what? 700? Running until someone in the main cast dies? Speaking of long-runners, take that, NCIS.

Loved the roster of the Demolition Derby, especially the Very Drunk Billy Joel. "If you can prove racism, free cola!" Not the first time Homer's car was in a demolition derby. Wait, was it Marge's car? Ether way, we've seen it. And the Cars joke was dark, BUT a Demolition Derby race was in the third movie.

"If cake solved problems, Homer would be given the Nobel Peace Prize."
"That's a bullcrap prize, they gave it to Kissinger!"

Moe knows a thing or two about reconciling with an estranged dad, he did it like two weeks ago. But the actual story of what Abe did...damn, I honestly felt for Homer. THAT was horrible, you do NOT screw with Homer's love for his mom or food. Of course the ending had to fake us out, but I liked how the convenient diner found and kept all the pie recipes (wrapped in a bow, natch).

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The return of the demolition derby -- complete with Truckasaurus II.

RIP Truckasaurus II.

Edited by Galileo908

The whole Apu controversy is idiotic, and I'm so angry that the show's going to end up caving, especially after addressing it in such a clever way that made it seem like they wouldn't.

The Simpsons is literally all about goofy/exaggerated/ridiculous stereotypes with funny voices, performed mostly by the same small group of voice actors, and a lot of the stereotypes are ethnic/national:

- Groundskeeper Willie (Scottish)
- Krusty the Clown (Jewish)
- Fat Tony, Luigi Risotto (Italian)
- Mayor Quimby (Irish)
- Cletus Spuckler (Southern Redneck)
- Uter Zorker, Gunter and Ernst, Coach Lugash (German)
- Cesar and Ugolin (French)
- Bumblebee Man (Mexican)
- Cookie Kwan (Chinese)
- Kumiko Nakamura, Akira (Japanese)
- even Homer (American)

But only the Indian one is problematic . . . after 30 years!

GTFO

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This is it, number 636, the one where they beat Gunsmoke! So...now what? 700? Running until someone in the main cast dies? Speaking of long-runners, take that, NCIS.

Harry Shearer is in his 70s.  They had that contract dispute 3 years ago and nearly didn't get him back.  He does so many voices -- Skinner, Brockman, Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny, Otto, Rainier Wolfcastle, and Judge Snyder.  It's hard to imagine the show without all those iconic characters.  I would prefer that they quit the show before they have to deal with that.

Yeah considering the show hit a milestone and did it with a pretty middle of the road episode.  The fact is the show is long past it’s prime and unless it wants to swerve into whatever controversies surround it warranted or not the show should start thinking about how it wants to end.  

Honestly the relationship between Homer and Grampa is probably the least interesting of the show cannon except in explaining why Homer is how he is in relation to his own children but to do that with a milestone episode is a waste.  I actually enjoyed more the jokes about Gunsmoke and NCIS.  

“A gun and a sailor hat.  Nothing screams naval crime more then that.”

Maggie shooting someone.  I don’t know why that makes me chuckle every time.

Edited by Chaos Theory
On 4/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, Peace 47 said:

So true, @Kel Varnsen.  And add to that the thought that pops into my mind that as a white woman, I really have no place to have an opinion on whether Azaria voicing any of those minority characters is offensive.  And also that my judgment is clouded by the enormous adoration I had and still have for seasons 1 through 10ish, the writers who wrote it, and the enormous vocal talents of those who voiced it.  (It’s amazingly impressive to me that Azaria can be Chief Wiggim and Dr. Nick and that Shearer can be Flanders and Judge Snyder.)

Is Apu himself a negative stereotype?  Like I said, I have no place to judge, but I look at who he was when I watched, and I do have trouble seeing it:  computer science doctorate who is ride-or-die with his job (literally).  Basically a nice guy who has some contempt for his customers and later really is worn down by his family.  A talented vocal mimic can do a good voice, is that terrible?  The terrible part to me is that there just was (not sure if there still is because I don’t follow the show anymore) zero diversity among the producers, writers and talent.  But like I said, my judgment is clouded by love for the show and my own privilege.

I am sort of in the same boat which makes it difficult to wrap my head around the controversy since Apu is probably one of the most developed non-white characters on TV. And like @TeeVeeStevie said, every character in the show is pretty much a stereotype. So to just single out Hank Azaria and Apu seems like doing damage control. And like I said I am not really sure if the controversy is because the character is a stereotype or because it is a white guy going the voice.

But if they are going to apply the same standards to other characters it would seem that Smithers would probably be one of the most problematic. Harry Shearer is as best as I can tell not gay but for the run of the show he has played a super stereotypical gay man, and for most of that time period he was a stereotypical closeted gay man. Does anyone think that is a problem, or will it only be a problem if a documentary is made?   

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The show has been renewed for Season 30, which seems like a logical place for them to stop. I don't think that will get them to 700 episodes though.

No.  I calculated this out once but I forget the number.  They just did 636 and are near the end of season 29.  I think there are usually 22 episodes per season.  So with 30 they might get up to 661.  I included an extra 3 episodes remaining in this season, although there might be more or less than that and I don't feel like looking it up.  If they wanted to hit an even 700 they'd have to continue and they'd hit it in the middle of season 32.

Couch Gag: Ferris Wheel, loved how it went through the whole house.

Of course Homer misses the solar eclipse because of Pork Chop Night.

"Way to go, God!"

Wow, we haven't seen the Sit n Spin Lounge in YEARS (seriously, was the last time in Principal Charming?). Speaking of callbacks, Flanders made his cocoa from the movie! And when was the last time we saw the Leftorium? It's been a kiosk for a while, right?

Okay, I need to see what Flanders resume looked like. I can't believe it took 29 seasons for Flanders to work with Homer at the plant. And oh god Flanders is perfect for HR, and just as good as taking Burns' abuse as Smithers does. Of course Burns thinks he was too, well, Flanders-y. It was the same thing that happened when Homer became smart: competent workers don't last long. I honestly wanted to see more of the Flanders kids with Bart and Lisa. After the Foster Home episode and all the times the Simpsons were over their house, I'd been wanting to see that situation the other way. I always wondered if Rod and Todd even go to school, and now we have the answer: They're just frozen in place all day. And just like when Flanders was principal, the class goes to hell when he's in charge. I liked how Bart's solution was to instill the fear of God into the kids, but I kept getting reminded of Chalmers' outrage over a prayer in a public school. So does this mean Flanders will be Bart's new teacher? It's an interesting development if he is.

Man, it was so sweet (and surprising) hearing Marcia Wallace's voice again. Actual heart, and it wasn't undercut!

"If we're praying during lunch, aren't we interrupting God's lunch?"
(cut to God eating a big sandwich)
"FINALLY, someone thinks about God!"

I really liked how Marge and Homer ate cake in bed. It's a great, small detail we don't see too often.

Heh, blimp on fire joke on the anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster. Too soon, show.

• Love 3

Ned's Resume details:
-- address: 744 Evergreen Terrace
-- Phone: 555-8904
-- e-mail: ned.flanders@springface.com
-- Highlights: Owner/Proprietor Leftorium, Saturday Sexton, Weekend Deacon, Smile Hi Club
-- Summary: Eager to bring my strong organization and communication abilities to the job.  Excellent administrative support skills and a professional, honest and friendly attitude adapt well into any business model.

Loved the 'Jesus is A1' poster in Ned's office, with Jesus on an A1 sauce bottle.

Todd: "What are you doing Lisa ?"
Lisa: "Making an art project."
Todd: "You color very neatly."
Lisa: "Thank you."
Todd: "Pride's a sin."
Lisa:  "Aaagh.  So is snitching to God. Rod."
Todd: "I'm Todd, I think"

Homer: "They look like gummi worms, but they're not.'

Burns: "Speaking of charity, call the orphanage Smithers.  We have leaks in our pipes and we need their tiny hands to plug them."
Smithers: "Uh, they said they wouldn't send you any children sir."
Burns: "Heh, they have to say that."

• Love 1
On 4/22/2018 at 9:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Homer's weight on his license says 239 lbs, but it also says his height is 6 ft.  Sex. M, Hair: No

On 4/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, Wilbur Whateley said:

239 lbs was Trump's purported weight on his recent physical.  

On 4/28/2018 at 4:52 PM, ganesh said:

That's what I thought they were going for.

Homer's always weighed around 239, as shown back in season one.

Donald Trump And Homer Simpson Are Exactly The Same Weight

Maybe DJT's doctor copied it from Homer.

• Love 1

"Duffman hates Duff-mankind."

Excellent episode.  Had some hilarious moments like Duffman, "I'm Todd, I think", Burns breaking Flanders' smile toy, and God's two appearances, and some touching things like the family helping out Flanders, Homer and Bart apologizing, and Edna.  I love that Bart said that Ned might be able to be as good as Edna.

• Love 2

I always wondered if Rod and Todd even go to school, and now we have the answer: They're just frozen in place all day.

I think remember the show mentioning their schooling. Didn't Edna stand up to their teacher once - either when her and Ned were first married or when they were dating? 

Man, it was so sweet (and surprising) hearing Marcia Wallace's voice again. Actual heart, and it wasn't undercut!

Sniff.  All the emotions.  

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, TeeVeeStevie said:

The whole Apu controversy is idiotic, and I'm so angry that the show's going to end up caving, especially after addressing it in such a clever way that made it seem like they wouldn't.

The Simpsons is literally all about goofy/exaggerated/ridiculous stereotypes with funny voices, performed mostly by the same small group of voice actors, and a lot of the stereotypes are ethnic/national:

- Groundskeeper Willie (Scottish)
- Krusty the Clown (Jewish)
- Fat Tony, Luigi Risotto (Italian)
- Mayor Quimby (Irish)
- Cletus Spuckler (Southern Redneck)
- Uter Zorker, Gunter and Ernst, Coach Lugash (German)
- Cesar and Ugolin (French)
- Bumblebee Man (Mexican)
- Cookie Kwan (Chinese)
- Kumiko Nakamura, Akira (Japanese)
- even Homer (American)

But only the Indian one is problematic . . . after 30 years!

GTFO

Not only that, but out of all the characters listed, and others not on your list, Apu is probably the most respected, normal and well grounded. 

• Love 2

OMG, I just watched the Homer & Mindy "think unsexy thoughts" thirty seconds and can't stop giggling. The mental image he gets of Patty and Selma, foot on the toilet, cigarette in mouth, shaving their hairy legs... 

• Love 3
On 5/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Heh, blimp on fire joke on the anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster. Too soon, show.

Hahahahahaha I didn't know that. 

On 5/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

I honestly wanted to see more of the Flanders kids with Bart and Lisa.

I thought this was the best part. They could have made so much more out of it. 

I assumed the kids were home schooled, so I was surprised Flanders went to school. 

• Love 1

Intro: Sideshow Mel on a GIANT unicycle

Couch Gag: Everyone is being printed, Homer caught in a paper jam.

Wow, this time it was Marge's fault something happened to the house. Loved seeing the Olmec head floating around, and outside. And Bender, too.

I liked how the LEGO airplane was half-built. Well, we've seen worse excuses to go somewhere, and I liked seeing Denmark. We get it, it's awesome, but did they have to stop the show to sing the anthem? Okay, I laughed at "Fart Kontrol," and I actually laughed at Marge trying to pronounce Danish things.

"We have to get home to America, the greatest country on Earth, 1917-2016." Of course Homer would be so out of touch in Denmark, and I liked seeing him not keeping up with the dancing. Of course Denmark is too tiny and dark, so that was a handy press of the reset button.

So Abe's whole operation was a laser tattoo removal? And it was a tattoo for Mona? That's actually cold, and you have to wonder why he never had it removed sooner. Or appear sooner, for that matter.

Remember when these travel episodes used to be funnier?

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Remember when these travel episodes used to be funnier?

Sure do.  This was a decent episode, there were some humorous parts but it wasn't overall as funny as episodes of yore.

Loved seeing the Olmec head floating around, and outside. And Bender, too.

I liked that both made an appearance.

Dr. Nick (to Abe): "Hi Medicare. I mean Hi Everybody !"

Bleeders Sinai Medical Center.  Ha !!

Abe: "Hands off ! I need professional help"
Homer: "Not to worry. This is the United States. We have the 3rd best health care system in North America."

Abe: "I can't go to Denmark by myself.  I get lost in the middle of a sentence and that was the best pie I ever had."

I liked how the LEGO airplane was half-built.

And that Minifigs were servicing it.

Soren Airlines -- "Fly Existential Desp-air "
How often do we get Kierkegaard references in this show ?

Homer's crossword puzzle on the plane:
-- 2 Across -- Man's Best friend.  Homer answered 'CAT'
-- 4 Across -- Letters in the work "words"
-- 6 Across -- Don't run

Book Homer was reading -- Ripping off the Danish Health Care System by Dane Crook.

Lisa (after dreaming about Ninja Bart stopping an assassin trying to kill her as the future queen of Denmark): "Bart, get out of my fantasy."
Bart: "Aw geez, I saved your life, how about a you're welcome."

Danish man carrying a bag (after running into Homer): "Excuse me white trash."
Homer (to Marge): "Is this the kind of country you want to live in ?"
Danish man carrying a bag : "No sir, I meant we separate our trash by color."

Homer: "How could my family want to stay here ? In America we have great TV channels like BBC America, and a factory for cheescakes.  A Factory ! "
Danish Guide: "You enthusiasm makes me want to follow you there."
Homer: "Foreigners are no longer welcome."

An ice-cream store called Häagen-Death -- which is funny since Häagen-Dazs is a made up brand name that isn't even Danish, but supposed to sound Danish to American consumers.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1