Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Aww, Stephen Hawking tribute.

That was a nice touch.

Overall, problem is that I didn't find the episode all that funny.  It had some amusing lines. but there seemed to be a lot of filler -- car drives up a long driveway, for example.
I barely remember Banacek -- and it starred George Peppard 10 years before he starred on the A-Team.

And yes, 70s TV detectives were that lecherous -- basically hitting on anything that moved.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It had some amusing lines. but there seemed to be a lot of filler -- car drives up a long driveway, for example.

I think this was probably intentional- making fun of the slow, languorous pace of some of these '70s detective shows. TV was really like that before MTV changed everything in the '80s.

• Love 1

simpson-hawking-tribute.jpg?w=446&h=299&

Stephen Hawking was remembered on Sunday’s episode of The Simpsons. The renowned physicist had made numerous cameo appearances on the hit animated Fox show during its 29-season run.

Sunday’s episode featured a card in memory of Hawking with a still from the 1999 episode “They Saved Lisa’s Brain!” in which he guest-starred alongside Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. The image features Hawking in his iconic helicopter and jet-powered wheelchair with Lisa Simpson sitting on his lap. (You can see the image above).

It was one of Hawking’s most famous cameos in which Hawking arrived in Springfield to rescue Lisa from a baying mob, using the helicopter blades concealed in his wheelchair He later shares a beer with Homer Simpson, who enjoys hanging out with “Lisa’s robot buddy”.

The Simpsons paid tribute to Steven Hawkings with a still from 1999. 

http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-simpsons-tribute-stephen-hawking-1202345695/

• Love 4

I fell asleep watching this episode, and as a result it kept invading my dreams.  One dream interpretation I had of this episode was that the painting was made of cupcake frosting, and that's why Homer was so in love with it.

I liked the explanation part.  It was a very funny and over the top spoof of the convoluted nature of heist movies.  I kept wondering why Homer didn't just buy some print of the painting though.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, Phishbulb said:

I think this was probably intentional- making fun of the slow, languorous pace of some of these '70s detective shows.

I thought this was a parody of shows like Magnum and Hart to Hart. I didn't know of Banacek until now, but those touches were classic of these detective shows. 

That Bil Plympton bit at the beginning was great.

Damn, that whole MCU bit was great. "Why does Jeremy Renner need TWO assistants?" The true villain of the MCU being Uncle Ben is a twist so dumb I wouldn't doubt Marvel doing it.

I liked that the apartment they visited was the actual one from Lisa's First Word. It was sweet to actually see how they filled in the gap where they got their first apartment and when Bart and Lisa were conceived. Then again, Bart's story contradicts I Married Marge (and every other story of Bart's conception). Marge still lived at Home. Having Lisa to calm down Bart thanks to a church video makes sense in a Simpsony way, but I still call bullcrap It was cool to see 70s-Early 80s(ish) Springfieldians. Bleeding Gums Muphy AND Sideshow Bob being at Homer & Lisa's party is where I called BS. Was that Kearney with hair I spotted at that party?

Loved seeing JK Simmons again as Not-J Jonah Jameson again.

"What about the story of how Maggie was born?"
"We told you that story."
"How about the dog?"
"Found him at Christmas."
"What about the cat?"
"Who cares?"

I liked that little tag at the end. Seeing Grampa's sperm is something I didn't need to see, but one of Jasper's showing up made up for it.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Then again, Bart's story contradicts I Married Marge (and every other story of Bart's conception). Marge still lived at Home. 

I'm not sure why they would do that either ? Do the new writers just not bother to look at previous episodes ?

This episode was worth it just for Krusty the Klown and Mister Teenie in the 'Queasy Rider' movie.

• Love 1

Movies at the Capital City Googolplex Theaters:
-- Transformers: Fatigue
-- Marvel: Letters to the Editor
-- Reboot: Origins
-- Disney's "The Teacup Ride"
-- The Lego Get Out Movie
-- Snapchat Filters: The Movie
-- Filleting Dory
-- Alexa vs. Siri
-- Pirates 6: The Lost Treasure of Johnny Depp

Marvel screen credits:
-- Mr. Downey Jr.'s moustache by Frederico's of Hollywood
-- Mr. Ruffalo's anger coach by Edge 'Rage' Raginsky
-- Hawkeye's Action Expert by None Necessary
-- Scarlett Johansson's wardrobe by Madam Latex
-- So-called 'Iron Man' may contain traces of tungsten
-- Stan Lee created by Stan Lee's parents
-- Nothing in this film was Made in America
-- Fonts by Mr. Helvetica except where .....

Evil Uncle Ben: "With great power comes no responsibilty."

Storefronts in the old beef-rendering district of Capital City:
-- Pressed Pants and Juice
-- House of Ale
-- House of Kale
-- Olive Oil and Bow Ties
-- $400 T-shirts
-- $50 shoelaces
-- Just this Bicycle
-- Umbilical Cord Jewelry
-- Harvey Plaqueworth & Sons

Storefronts in Springfield (in addition to Amazon):
-- The Non-Internet Cafe
-- Nitrogen-Cooled Pasta
-- Comics 'N' Coffee
-- Starbark's Canine Cappuccinos

Magazines for Marge at their old apartment
-- Blue Hair Monthly
-- Subscriptions Weekly (with Timely, Dollar$, The Ghost of Newsweek and Peephole magazines on the cover)
-- Rolling Scone
-- Obsessive Mothering

In a prior episode, I seem to recall that when Homer found out Marge was pregnant with Bart he tore out his hair and ran out of the room.
And then when he found out that Marge was pregnant with Lisa, he tore out more hair and ran from the room.  but none of that seems to have happened because Homer had a full head of hair after Lisa was born.

And the really odd thing is that everyone from Springfield seemed to be living in Capital City at the time Homer and Marge were living in that building and partying hard.  Which also makes no sense.  Or that Capital City is a loooooong way from Springfield to just drive there to see a movie.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

In a prior episode, I seem to recall that when Homer found out Marge was pregnant with Bart he tore out his hair and ran out of the room.
And then when he found out that Marge was pregnant with Lisa, he tore out more hair and ran from the room.  but none of that seems to have happened because Homer had a full head of hair after Lisa was born.

That was from And Maggie Makes Three, which contradicts how Homer found out about Bart (through an appointment with Dr. Hibbert) and Lisa ("We're gonna start doing it in the morning?"), plus apparently they lived in their current house before they had kids. At least this ep has their apartment from Lisa's First Word. So I'm fine with that episode not being acknowledged here.

Edited by Galileo908
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm not sure why they would do that either ? Do the new writers just not bother to look at previous episodes ?

The show has always been fast and loose with 'origin stories' of the Simpsons. There's been a ton. I thought that was the point of the movie scene in the opening. You're talking about Bart being born in the late 70s based on this episode. The point was about how families decide on whether to have children. 

I had a huge laugh when Marge was talking to the newspaper editor and there was a framed headline about how the university got level for the nuclear plant.

• Love 1

The Simpsons has always been terrible with continuity.  It's like a joke that they don't even try to work with it.  So I wouldn't expect anything different.  I just kinda pretended these different timelines just took place in different universes.

There seemed to be more freeze frame fun than usual.

• Love 1

I didn't really care for the opening cartoon/couch gag.

I don't care for any of the couch gags. At least not those of recent seasons. It's not because they're terrible, they're really not. It's because they are the most vivid reminder of how this show has been phoning it in for years. There is more effort and care put into creating those gags than there is the actual episode. 

It was cool to see 70s-Early 80s(ish) Springfieldians.

You're talking about Bart being born in the late 70s based on this episode.

Where are people getting that from? It seemed fairly obvious that the flashbacks took place a decade ago (as it of course would, as Bart is 10), meaning Homer and Marge were a fun loving, childless, married couple circa 2007. The only thing that screamed an earlier date was Dr Hibbert inexplicably being dressed as Purple Rain-era Prince. 

I get people being bothered by the ret-cons that have occurred over the years. It is strange, but the show has been on so long that of course they are going to have to change time periods for certain events. Marge and Homer obviously can no longer be members of the class of 1974, as they were in the first flashback episodes. What really bothers me is how lazy they get by deciding that suddenly all these characters are basically the same age now. Characters like Moe, Kent Brockman, and others should not be in the same age group as Homer and Marge. I daresay, it's getting to be that at some point even Mr Burns will be portrayed as a contemporary of Homer's.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1

The only thing that really bugged me is that Milhouse and Bart are supposed to be around the same age, but it when Bart attacked Kirk, there were no signs that I could see of the Van Houtens having a child or of Luann being pregnant with Milhouse.  I mean, they could have just left him at home, but it looked like Kirk was innocent in the ways of babies. 

• Love 1

I'm not bothered by it, but the fashions in the house party that Marge and Homer threw were clearly 70s era. 

I went back and watched, and that just isn't the case. Unless cargo shorts were much bigger in the 70's than I remember. That was what Barney was wearing. And both Kirk Van Houten and Reverend Lovejoy were wearing skinny jeans with black Chuck Taylor All-Stars. People have of course been wearing All-Stars for a very long time, but I highly doubt anyone was rocking them at a house party in the 70's. They definitely weren't wearing skinny jeans.

On the other hand, Smithers and Apu were dressed sort of 80's-ish. Smithers was rather preppy in his Polo Shirt with the sweater tied around his neck. And Apu for some reason was wearing a red leather jacket, not unlike Michael Jackson.

Edited by reggiejax
(edited)

Intro: Homer gliding!

Billboard: Mayor Quimby's Easter Egg Hunt - Bunnies supplied by President Trump

This is the Last Episode - April Fool

Couch Gag: Overtaking Gunsmoke at episode 636...four episodes early.

Damn, Skinner finally got a prank on Bart that didn't involve detention. But really, old Krusty masks scare the entire town?

Llewellyn Sinclair seemed to have been channeling Master Thespian this time around, but I feel like Krusty's plot fell a bit flat. Sure, it was neat to see that trying to get his clown thoughts out of his head caused him to get laughs because he had to press the reset button somehow. It was like the Canyonero episode mixed with the Streetcar episode, but without anything that made either story good or memorable.

Bart's plot fell kind of flat, too. Marge is still pissed off that Bart pranked everyone yet again (while feeling remorse ONLY because she was in the audience), but nothing came of that.

"It's times like this that I'm glad I have eyebrows." Milhouse is still great, and there were quite a few character design jokes tonight.

Didn't need to see that Willie needed to wear a merkin for his beard. The tag at the end with Ghost Shakespeare and Ghost Arthur Miller was amusing, though.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

but I feel like Krusty's plot fell a bit flat.

But this has happened to Krusty before, when he lost everything and became a serious comic to great reviews and then got this show back.  So it not only felt flat, but it seems like the new writers are just ripping off prior episodes.

10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The tag at the end with Ghost Shakespeare and Ghost Arthur Miller was amusing, though.

Ghost Shakespeare dissing Ghost Miller was pretty good.

• Love 1

Title: Drone with Peace on Earth shooting the crow

Billboard: Housecleaning by Snake - Let's Cash Out Your House

Chalkboard: April Showers did Not Date The President

Couch Gag: Connect The Dots!

Ooh, Itchy & Scratchy Marathon #EverySlaughterEver Weird that Krusty had to announce every episode that came on.

"Educational, my foot! I saw pixels!" They finally took on Minecraft. And FXX's marathons. And bookstores. I liked how the old bookstore had a pile of cats sleeping in the corner, and how the B&N knockoff kept losing customers to Amazon. OF COURSE Milhouse has read every Mary-Kate & Ashley book, and that Lisa would be intrigued by Barry Goldwater.

I liked the Not-Minecraft convention, especially the two streamers.

"It's Daniel Radcliffe!"
"He knows Rupert Grint!" 
That was a fun little cameo.

Homer turning into Flanders was creepy as hell, I'll admit it. That was clever, and it was nice to see the two of them bonding. Homer loves a good hoedown, it's only natural that he'd be into Bluegrass.

Aww, it turns out Marge's favorite childhood book is racist. I actually liked that detail. And then it all turned out to be a defense of Apu. Don't know what to say about that.

"The Hungarian's mustache reeked of garlic."

So...RIP Nelson. Willie just chucked into the furnace and that's the last we saw of him. Oh, the tag showed he was alive. But Daniel Radcliffe died, though.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Title: Drone with Peace on Earth shooting the crow

Billboard: Housecleaning by Snake - Let's Cash Out Your House

Chalkboard: April Showers did Not Date The President

Couch Gag: Connect The Dots!

Ooh, Itchy & Scratchy Marathon #EverySlaughterEver Weird that Krusty had to announce every episode that came on.

"Educational, my foot! I saw pixels!" They finally took on Minecraft. And FXX's marathons. And bookstores. I liked how the old bookstore had a pile of cats sleeping in the corner, and how the B&N knockoff kept losing customers to Amazon. OF COURSE Milhouse has read every Mary-Kate & Ashley book, and that Lisa would be intrigued by Barry Goldwater.

I liked the Not-Minecraft convention, especially the two streamers.

"It's Daniel Radcliffe!"
"He knows Rupert Grint!" 
That was a fun little cameo.

Homer turning into Flanders was creepy as hell, I'll admit it. That was clever, and it was nice to see the two of them bonding. Homer loves a good hoedown, it's only natural that he'd be into Bluegrass.

Aww, it turns out Marge's favorite childhood book is racist. I actually liked that detail. And then it all turned out to be a defense of Apu. Don't know what to say about that.

"The Hungarian's mustache reeked of garlic."

So...RIP Nelson. Willie just chucked into the furnace and that's the last we saw of him. Oh, the tag showed he was alive. But Daniel Radcliffe died, though.

Gotta make one slight correction. Billboard was Let Us Case Your Joint

IMG_3452.JPG

• Love 1
(edited)

Episode 10, 433 (and counting) of Itchy and Scratchy.  But considering each one is only a couple of minutes long, it will still be about as long as the actual Simpsons marathon (which now takes 2 weeks or so).

Springfield Librarian: "You want to read something try reading the sign."
Marge: "Oh, can't we just go in for 5 minutes."
Springfield Librarian:  "Up to you, but after 2 the silverfish take over."

Thought that Homer's turning into pseudo-Flanders seemed rushed, and really didn't demonstrate the point of getting the to read (if he only read 5 pages), unlike Bart who had life/death control over Homer (with milkballs).

Didn't find incinerating Nelson very funny either.

I did like the nod to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song during Ned's banjo end bit.

Signs at Tunnelcraft-Con:
-- Reality: Who Needs It ?
-- Cube Steaks and Block Beans
-- Gaming Therapists on Duty
-- Break Station -- No Tunnelcraft Talk (Maybe a Little)
-- Cheat Codes to Dating Women -- Meet a Real Live Woman
-- Grand Theft Walrus
-- Tunnelcraft
-- Tunnelcraft: The Movie
-- Tunnelcraft: The Movie: The Video Game

Coffee table books at Bookaccino's:
-- Barn Doors of Topeka
-- Dogs Eating Ice Cream
-- Jigsaw Puzzles with one piece missing
-- Man-Killing Snakes of the Amazon

Comic Book Guy: "Um, excuse me. That device is poorly designed. I would register my disgust but it corrects with auto-praise."

Lisa: "I love the smell of old books.   Sniff, awwwwe"
Book Store Owner: "Wouldn't do that miss, the air in here has a lot of particulate rat droppings."

It was an ok episode, but nothing special.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The opening scenes with the references to the "Every Simpsons Ever" parodies was great.  Had me in stitches.

Also liked the reference to that silly Apu documentary, though the looking directly at the camera made it feel really heavy handed.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

The opening scenes with the references to the "Every Simpsons Ever" parodies was great.  Had me in stitches.

Also liked the reference to that silly Apu documentary, though the looking directly at the camera made it feel really heavy handed.

I don't think it's silly and I do feel bad that the people in the documentary were made fun of as kids for being Indian and called "Apu" but if Apu didn't exist they would've been called "Gandhi"  instead because kids are jerks who pick on anyone who's different.

Edited by VCRTracking

I feel like Krusty has mentioned doing serious theater before so that plot didn't work. Maybe I'm wrong though. I did laugh at Mr. Tini making out with that woman (Princess Kashmir?).  And I had a good laugh about Homer pointing out how characters look alike. The Van Houtens do look like twins, so that has always concerned me.

• Love 1

"You'll have to speak up.  I am wearing a towel"
After Homer rushes to answer his phone at work, wearing a towel, like he just got out of the shower. 

Not sure why I find that so funny, but I do

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Homer, why did you bring me to a gay steel mill?

"Hot stuff, coming through!"

• Love 2

Good to know that Bart ravaging people with the trombone was just a Marge fantasy (although it's totally in character for him), but making Homer choose between beer and the safety of a violin was just cruel, but a level of petty cruelty I haven't seen out of Bart in ages. Only Lisa would describe the clarinet as "the recorder, but cooler."

Okay, I laughed at Homer trying to cheat a breathalyzer with a dog, but the dog having a higher BAC than he does.

Welp, a long-running joke (Moe's multiple choice origin story) was finally answered tonight. SIGH. Moe's family were crooked mattress salesman?! At least his dad was Ray Liotta. I really did believe that Moe was related to the family we saw, they're just as big ugly creeps as he is. The word "reach around" was said a lot tonight, I couldn't get my mind off of that.

"Homer, what's your favorite movie?"
"Fast & Furious 6."
"What was the theme of the movie?"
"Cars."
"What was the OTHER theme?"
"(gasps) Family!

59 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

The word "reach around" was said a lot tonight, I couldn't get my mind off of that.

Unfortunately, yes it was.  I thought I misheard it the first time in the episode.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Welp, a long-running joke (Moe's multiple choice origin story) was finally answered tonight. SIGH. Moe's family were crooked mattress salesman?! At least his dad was Ray Liotta.

and his sister was Debi Mazar................... (people shrugging shoulders)...............she was in that Fred Savage office comedy.............. (crickets chirping)............... she was in that "other" show about that "other" Italian family who lives in Jersey .................... (tumbleweeds roll by)........... she was Two-Face's other girl............ Younger??? ............  Happy??????

Homer:   Oh, "that" Debi Mazar.   (Seriously, I'm "strangely" obsessed with the career of this actress for some reason.)

BTW, that credit ending was an animated remake of an actual commercial.  I remember them showing it on an episode of that show with Bonaduce, Bridges, and Harding.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

and his sister was Debi Mazar................... (people shrugging shoulders)...............she was in that Fred Savage office comedy.............. (crickets chirping)............... she was in that "other" show about that "other" Italian family who lives in Jersey .................... (tumbleweeds roll by)........... she was Two-Face's other girl............ Younger??? ............  Happy??????

Homer:   Oh, "that" Debi Mazar.   (Seriously, I'm "strangely" obsessed with the career of this actress for some reason.)

BTW, that credit ending was an animated remake of an actual commercial.  I remember them showing it on an episode of that show with Bonaduce, Bridges, and Harding.

Entourage for me.

• Love 1

When the Simpsons’ flight to Gainesville gets re-routed to New Orleans, Lisa is forced to face her failures, and regain her confidence as a jazz musician. Meanwhile, Bart is intrigued by the voodoo in Louisiana, and Homer is intrigued by the drinking

I don't think it's silly either, and I think their response to it was condescending and tone deaf. They didn't come off well, and the plot about the book kind of went against what their point was with Apu anyway. 

I actually liked the Art of War plot and wish they spent more time on it. 

3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Okay, I laughed at Homer trying to cheat a breathalyzer with a dog, but the dog having a higher BAC than he does.

The drunk dog killed me. 

3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The word "reach around" was said a lot tonight, I couldn't get my mind off of that.

I noticed too. 

Debi Mazar and Ray Liotta were also in Goodfellas iirc.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

For me, I know her as Madonna’s best gal pal for over 30 years. And she’s been in a number of her music videos.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, opus said:

Entourage for me.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Debi Mazar ................ also in Goodfellas iirc.

Yeah, I was just trying to mention all of the stuff that I knew off the top of my head.  I forgot a few.

9 hours ago, Not4Me said:

For me, I know her as Madonna’s best gal pal for over 30 years. And she’s been in a number of her music videos.

That's (almost) how old this interview is, but yeah, that too; she won't shut up (almost as bad as Rosie) about how she knows Madonna.

(Like I said, I'm "strangely" addicted to this actress.)

• Love 1

Debi Mazar was also just in "Happy!" Syfy's psychotic comedy starring Christopher Meloni.

I'm generally not a fan of Moe stories, but this made me laugh out loud several times, especially Homer's observations that Marge's meddling was not going to end well.