Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Legends Of Yesterday (2)

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

I don't watch Arrow, but I just had to come express my frustration about the Oliver's kid storyline.  The whole "I'm the mother -- I decide what kind of relationship you'll have with your child" crap is such nonsense. That doesn't have to be how that works and I hate that tv shows keep saying it is. Surely there's a court around so Oliver can go establish paternity and get some access to his kid. But then you wouldn't have any drama with Felicity without that stupid storyline.

So much this. Her "I gave up the world so you should too" was just nonsensical. In fact if what she means is, I gave up my life nine years ago - and LIED to you about it - so I'm going to put ridiculous restrictions on your relationship with the son I didn't tell you about, she's a horrible, petty person.

Threaten to sue her for custody, Oliver.

• Love 14

So, this hasn't aired in my timezone yet but I just had to read everyone's posts... Yikes!! I'm really sad and unenthused about watching it now. One would think they would try to make a much better episode that would entice non-viewers/casual viewers who got curious because of the crossover to keep watching the show in the next few weeks. But secrets and lies again...

http://i.imgur.com/ZiBpU2h.jpg

Copious amounts of alcohol, for later, it is.

• Love 3

I actually kind of got it.   I think this should have been a strong b-plot, not crammed into the Farrow Crossover/Legends of Tomorrow Pilot but I can buy a mother use to raising a child on her own, setting boundaries.   

And like it or not, when two people share a child, there is automatically something anyone else in their life is NOT a part of.   They have a certain amount of power/influence where the other is concerned.   That's not something I would be comfortable with so I was kind of surprised Felicity was in the deleted timeline (not a fan of time-travel stories for the most part, some exceptions but not this one).

Oliver has a LOT of good qualities.  He CAN be self-sacrificing, brave, (at times) sensitive, sincere and heroic BUT he can be selfish, thoughtless and insensitive.  It's who he is.    Felicity is smart, sweet, (at times) thoughtful and compassionate BUT when hurt or under pressure, she can be harsh, unreasonable and WILL hit below the belt in the heat of the moment (in a way we don't see a lot of Arrow Universe characters do so).  I guess I'm not looking forward to this storyline but I'm not dead set against it either.  I don't think drama is the strong suit of these writers but I'll cross my fingers.

I am kind of disappointed that Barry didn't tell Felicity.  I know he and Oliver are tight but he is Felicity's friend too.   And on that note, it was nice to see Caitlin and Felicity in scenes together again.   I really like Felicity's scenes with the Central City crew.    And secret aside I love Felicity interactions with Barry (wish there was a little more this episode).

• Love 5

To be honest, I thought Felicity’s behavior during that fight with Oliver was atrocious.  Oliver had LITERALLY found out about his son 24 hours ago.  I completely get not saying anything to her until he had confirmed it and I can understand him not instantly sharing that information immediately after meeting up with the mother.  Now, concealing that information for the long-term is absolutely wrong and Oliver deserves to be dumped for it.

As for the mother, I can truly understand wanting to keep William away from Oliver, especially if she suspects he’s the Green Arrow.  It would open that kid to terrible danger.  But the whole “I set the rules” thing is nonsense because Oliver is his father too.  Not to mention it was deplorable for her to say that “his father was punching paparazzi and impregnating girls.”  Uh, excuse me but the girl that Oliver impregnated was YOU so what does that say about her as a parent?

That nonsense aside, I thought the crossover stuff was mostly great and I really liked the change of scenery.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

I get baby mama not wanting to announce to the world that her son is Oliver Queen's, the man running for Mayor. But Oliver not telling his girlfriend makes no sense. Felicity is not the whole world and would keep it between them. Oliver is regressing by not telling her. However I'm guessing he's going to tell her either the next episode or the one after. They just needed some forced drama because tv romances can never be too happy. 

I know people think this was a LoT set up, but I didn't see much set up for show's plot. This was more like a character set ups for three characters that are going to be on the show. While missing all the characters everyone already knows. I think the episode would've been better with more of LoT set up with Rip Hunter showing up at the end to talk to the Hawks. 

• Love 3

I really didn't like that they made this Arrow episode like Flash, and the Flash episode like Arrow.

Next year's crossover needs to be just Barry and Oliver in a new location. No spin-off setup.

Do not care about Olicity or Oliver's kid, but that fight and the keeping secrets thing was stupid AND OF COURSE it will come back to bite the show in the butt during sweeps. Good luck with that, Arrow fandom.

But besides all that, I did enjoy the rest of it. Especially anything Barry and Cisco. And because daylight, since they made this a Flash episode.

Loved Cisco's line about Oliver being Cupid now!

• Love 1

How would the mother even know if he tells Felicity? 

She wouldn't. So maybe this speaks to the fact that we're supposed to believe that now, after everything, he somehow really doesn't trust her? I'm guessing the real reason he kept the secret was because he thought she'd break up with him because of what Barry told him? But is he never intending on seeing the kid again? He told Felicity it was over, is he just gonna go visit the kid as his mom's friend Oliver for the rest of his stupid existence? 

• Love 7

I get baby mama not wanting to announce to the world that her son is Oliver Queen's, the man running for Mayor. But Oliver not telling his girlfriend makes no sense. Felicity is not the whole world and would keep it between them. Oliver is regressing by not telling her. However I'm guessing he's going to tell her either the next episode or the one after. They just needed some forced drama because tv romances can never be too happy. 

I know people think this was a LoT set up, but I didn't see much set up for show's plot. This was more like a character set ups for three characters that are going to be on the show. While missing all the characters everyone already knows. I think the episode would've been better with more of LoT set up with Rip Hunter showing up at the end to talk to the Hawks. 

I think Oliver will tell the truth in the limo or will start talking, but something happens and he does not end

• Love 1

To be honest, I thought Felicity’s behavior during that fight with Oliver was atrocious.  Oliver had LITERALLY found out about his son 24 hours ago.  I completely get not saying anything to her until he had confirmed it and I can understand him not instantly sharing that information immediately after meeting up with the mother.  Now, concealing that information for the long-term is absolutely wrong and Oliver deserves to be dumped for it.

That's why it felt so OOC. Even as she was talking I was like 'Felicity wouldn't say this.' It felt so off. All of it. Not impressed at all.

Saying that, he still should have told her and he didn't so…turns out she was right really. In a weird way. UGH. UGH. UGH.

• Love 14

While I think Oliver should tell Felicity, I am in the camp that Felicity behaved terribly in the deleted timeline. Oliver just found out he had a son. He needed time to decompress, to figure out what they meant for him. His whole life had changed. He still had question he had to answer himself, so for her to go, "You don't trust me and you never will!" was way out of line and just cold. I think Felicity, who has such a crap, out of the picture father, would be more willing to give Oliver the benefit of the doubt, so awful writing for the character there and once again it was DRAMA for drama's sake.

• Love 8

I need one of Gob's forget me now pills. That was a garbage episode and not just because of Olicity. I just watched an excellent series about a girl who has to deal with a creepy, abusive stalker. She even had super powers. Granted, he didn't travel through time stalking her, but I was satisfied with how she dealt with him. The Hawk story line was badly acted and poorly done. I had more sympathy for Shayera in the Justice League cartoon. She was a badass. This one makes me seriously question whether I want to watch LOT with her on it. 

Barry time traveling is a huge cop out. Why doesn't he do that all the time for everything he does? 

I don't buy the Oliver stuff for a second. No way he keeps that from Felicity. Not from what we just saw a few episodes ago when he thought he was going to lose her. Bullshit. Out of character. Nope. 

I see the EPs are already doing damage control. I'm interested how the media views this ep since it often felt like S3 went over well in the recaps and reviews.

A sad waste of a crossover. 

• Love 8

How would the mother even know if he tells Felicity? How is this situation any different from the stupid "I just came back from the dead but I'm gonna train with Malcolm" thing? This is literally S03's BS writing in a nutshell. It's a dumb secret that literally doesn't freaking need to be a secret. I wonder if they'll go full S03 and have other people start finding out but still have Oliver keep Felicity out of the loop. 

This is such contrived nonsense.  

I thought the same thing - why not tell Felicity and have HER keep the secret?  Why does Oliver care about keeping a promise to baby momma when it's a totally ridiculous promise to ask (he should be able to tell the woman he loves - no one else, ok - but baby momma shouldn't have batted an eye at that).

I know for a fact this won't happen, but I would LOVE it if Oliver kept dropping clues so Felicity would figure it out and then once she does, he says "good I can talk about it now because I didn't tell you."

• Love 8

She wouldn't. So maybe this speaks to the fact that we're supposed to believe that now, after everything, he somehow really doesn't trust her? I'm guessing the real reason he kept the secret was because he thought she'd break up with him because of what Barry told him? But is he never intending on seeing the kid again? He told Felicity it was over, is he just gonna go visit the kid as his mom's friend Oliver for the rest of his stupid existence? 

It's seriously S03 in a nutshell. I can literally already see the "I don't want to be a woman you love" redux from here. It's dumb and anyone with half a brain can already see how it ends but, for some reason, the writers probably think it's (1)brilliant and (2)something people actually want to see. I'm hoping she just gets really mad and curses him out.  the break-up doesn't happen cause Oliver/Felicity does not do that shit well at all. It's not their strong suit. 

• Love 1

That's why it felt so OOC. Even as she was talking I was like 'Felicity wouldn't say this.' It felt so off. All of it. Not impressed at all.

Saying that, he still should have told her and he didn't so…turns out she was right really. In a weird way. UGH. UGH. UGH.

Even if you didn't watch Arrow regularly, and just watched Flash and the crossovers, it would still feel really OOC because Oliver and Felicity were so happy JUST ONE EPISODE AGO, but now she's ready to say we can never be together??

And I'm not even invested in this 'ship.

• Love 9

It's her abandonment issues rearing their ugly head. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Felicity was bad during the first fight and it was stupid but again themail whole thing is stupid. This is just more characters acting dumb because of plot.

Speaking of Barry. Was he telling Oliver to lie to Felicity or tell her?

Felicity was terrible during the first fight, and it was so OOC? Now she doesn't trust him...why? He flat-out told her he wanted to know what he was dealing with before he told her but that he would tell her. He was in the right there...the second time? Ugh, he is just so incredibly stupid.

I really wish they hadn't had him tell her he was going to tell her what was going on as soon as he had a handle on it. Because she's always trusted him, and there was nothing at all about that that should've put up her hackles? They should've had him blow her off and keep lying.

• Love 3

Was it though? It didn't come across that way at all, IMO. I can't even figure it out because it was so OOC. It was like Pod!Felicity again. She always appears when there's some contrived nonsense needing to happen.

• Love 9

That's what didn't work about that fight...she could see her was clearly very emotional and she wouldn't back off of him for one second?  Good lord, I've never seen a group of writers so determined to sabotage a relationship than these ones.

There is no reason Oliver couldn't have told Felicity at the end.  Both of them ended up looking terrible here.

• Love 1

I didn't mind the time travel (too much, although, yes; cop-out) because I've seen it already on the Flash; but it really belongs there and not here.

Edited by Trini

Oh my god, this was terrible.I could barely make it through. Legends is not looking good if Ray and Hawks are what I have to look forward to.  Everyone seemed off in this episode.  I am not doing well with the time travel, mystical stuff that is going on in both shows this year. I find it all very boring. I was happy with a bad guy of the week 

• Love 3

I was equal parts saying in my head Felicity wouldn't be ranting at him yet - she'd be able to tell he just found out (especially when he says something about "my world just imploded and I'm trying to get my head around it") and she'd wait.  She might react this way if he kept the secret for months, but not for hours.

And equal parts saying out loud, Oliver tell her baby momma said you couldn't see him unless you told no one.  That he wanted to tell her immediately but he didn't know what to do.  Tell her you trust her with everything!  Say something you idiot!  Ugh!!!!

Oh yeah and I'm 99% sure that Barry called him Ollie again tonight.

• Love 7

What the FUCK was that??? Can the showrunners ever learn how to create believable drama instead of contrived bullshit that makes no sense? Also, why, why, WHY did they have to go there with the time travel garbage on Arrow? It completely negates any storyline knowing that all Barry needs to do is turn back time and all is well again. Seriously...Worst. Plot. Point. EVER.

All things considered, this season was going fairly well and then they had to crap all over it because that's what they do.

Finally, can we now get the LoT people to go away...please?

• Love 18

Yeah, Barry called him Ollie again tonight. WTF?  Who wrote this anyway?

To be honest, I thought Felicity’s behavior during that fight with Oliver was atrocious.  Oliver had LITERALLY found out about his son 24 hours ago. 

Felicity's behaviour was really over the top for plot's sake.  But in her defense 1.  she didn't know Oliver had just found out about the kid and 2. it was a repeat of 3x12 when she was happy he was still alive only to have him say he was working with Malcolm Merlyn again.

How would the mother even know if he tells Felicity? How is this situation any different from the stupid "I just came back from the dead but I'm gonna train with Malcolm" thing? This is literally S03's BS writing in a nutshell. It's a dumb secret that literally doesn't freaking need to be a secret. I wonder if they'll go full S03 and have other people start finding out but still have Oliver keep Felicity out of the loop.

It's exactly s3 when Oliver wasn't honest with Felicity about what he's going to do  Flat learning curve. Idiot.

It's even worse now because they've had 7 months of complete honesty.

In essence, Oliver chose to be "Mommy's friend" over his relationship with Felicity.

I actually kind of got it.   I think this should have been a strong b-plot, not crammed into the Farrow Crossover/Legends of Tomorrow Pilot but I can buy a mother use to raising a child on her own, setting boundaries. 

I've been defending the mother not telling the kid about who his father is up to now but she lost me here.

She knows that he's not the douche, drunk frat boy he was when they got pregnant.  He's cleaned up, running for mayor, being a responsible person. There's no reason for her to keep her son away from him now other than she doesn't want to share.  (Which I also understand but which is just selfish and unfair to her son.)

• Love 6

One more thing - SA said to wait to see before judging. Well, I've seen it, and I'm actually more angry than I was before watching. I don't think Oliver behaved in character AT ALL. I honestly don't understand the regression other than PLOT. Explain that to me SA. I'd love to hear the justification.

• Love 22

That sucked.

Here's the thing, though: Oliver was told by Barry that it's basically because of him that the plan fails and everyone dies. He's told that because he finds out about his son, and Felicity finds out, they have a huge fight and break up. He isn't told the context of the conversation because Barry never heard it. So I can see why Oliver thinks not saying anything is better, because in his mind, he thinks Felicity breaks up with him because of the kid. You can see the heartbreak on his face when Barry is telling him about the time travel, so I understand Oliver's POV. Do I find it stupid? Absolutely. He could have absolutely said something after they 'defeated' Savage. I think he should have and I think that he should have not lied. Come on, Oliver, you know better. You've grown and changed. And now, this episode made him regress. But I think, from his POV, his conversation with Barry made him fear that telling her will break them up, he'll become distracted and he'll get people killed. He doesn't know about Felicity saying in the original timeline that she didn't care. 

Also, Felicity breaking up with him because Oliver didn't tell her right away and give him time to process? It's not like she thought that he knew for years and didn't tell her. He literally had found out minutes before she did. Urg, it just felt so stupid and contrived and I dislike. 

And this is why I didn't want the Baby Mama drama to come back. It ruins things and make characters regress. Next thing we know, Laurel's gonna get pissy and go back to her Oliver-hating ways. Ok, in that case, she deserves to be angry. However, Laurel has grown and she shouldn't be as mad as I now expect her to be. 

Also, I loathe Baby Mama. So, she gets to dictate what Oliver does with William, and what William knows about his father? Even though it's been 9/10 years and she sees that he's changed? Now that he knows, he can fight for some sort of parental rights. She never cashed the cheque, but she kept it all these years, implying that she will change her mind one day.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TAKE A VACUUM AND SUCK UP SAVAGE AFTER THEY DEFEATED HIM?!?!

I ended up fast-forwarding through the Hawks and their flashbacks and Kendra and Cisco. I'll go rewatch when I feel like it. 

• Love 9

For whoever was wondering Barry told Oliver he should tell Felicity. I'm gonna be so pissed if everyone else finds out before Felicity does but I won't put it past these writers. And Twitter is blowing up with Anger over Oliver being a fucking douche idiot

• Love 1

For whoever was wondering Barry told Oliver he should tell Felicity. I'm gonna be so pissed if everyone else finds out before Felicity does but I won't put it past these writers. And Twitter is blowing up with Anger over Oliver being a fucking douche idiot

Thanks! I wasn't sure

People on Twitter are so mad at Oliver they said he deserves what's probably happening next week to Felicity. We all know she ain't dying and I'm sure People are just really mad and need to calm down a little.

Thanks! I wasn't sure

You're welcome!

I've been defending the mother not telling the kid about who his father is up to now but she lost me here.

She knows that he's not the douche, drunk frat boy he was when they got pregnant.  He's cleaned up, running for mayor, being a responsible person. There's no reason for her to keep her son away from him now other than she doesn't want to share.  (Which I also understand but which is just selfish and unfair to her son.)

How concerned could she have been about Oliver being around her kid when after her very first meeting with him in how many years she left him alone in a room with her son? I mean, he could've been telling the kid anything? She too is a moron. Her reasoning was basically, you're a terrible person, I'm going to list all  the ways you're a terrible person, I don't want you around my kid, but as long as you don't tell anyone in the whole world about it, you can see him. And I won't even be present!

• Love 18

How concerned could she have been about Oliver being around her kid when after her very first meeting with him in how many years she left him alone in a room with her son? I mean, he could've been telling the kid anything? She too is a moron. Her reasoning was basically, you're a terrible person, I'm going to list all  the ways you're a terrible person, I don't want you around my kid, but as long as you don't tell anyone in the whole world about it, you can see him. And I won't even be present!

Knocking up girls isn't a card she can throw around because the only reason she's a mother is because Oliver KNOCKED HER UP!

• Love 3

I'm really sorry they did the kid story this season - they should have saved it for the last season of the show, made him older, and made him a teen in trouble who needed Oliver's guidance.  A teen who happen to be in the vigilante business.  This was a mistake.

• Love 7

Here's the thing, though: Oliver was told by Barry that it's basically because of him that the plan fails and everyone dies. He's told that because he finds out about his son, and Felicity finds out, they have a huge fight and break up. He isn't told the context of the conversation because Barry never heard it. So I can see why Oliver thinks not saying anything is better, because in his mind, he thinks Felicity breaks up with him because of the kid. You can see the heartbreak on his face when Barry is telling him about the time travel, so I understand Oliver's POV. Do I find it stupid? Absolutely. He could have absolutely said something after they 'defeated' Savage. I think he should have and I think that he should have not lied. Come on, Oliver, you know better. You've grown and changed. And now, this episode made him regress. But I think, from his POV, his conversation with Barry made him fear that telling her will break them up, he'll become distracted and he'll get people killed. He doesn't know about Felicity saying in the original timeline that she didn't care.

That is EXACTLY Season 3 ALL OVER AGAIN.  He was worried about being distracted.  He did completely shitty, lying, manipulative things for what he thought were fine reasons.  He had a sad kicked puppy look on his face while he did those shitty things.  WHY ARE THEY DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN?!?

• Love 5

Also can we talk about how baby mama has no legal standing to deny Oliver the right to his son. THE STUPID BURNS. IT BURNS!

This is a world where Isabel was able to take Queen Industries from Oliver, she was able to shut down a popular profitable night club and no investors had a problem with it, Laurel was allowed to prosecute Moira, and Sara's doctor blabbed her medical information to Laurel.  It's best not to think about it.

Barry and Oliver area great team.

I wonder if Cold is going to demand royalties from his action figure.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 6

Was it though? It didn't come across that way at all, IMO. I can't even figure it out because it was so OOC. It was like Pod!Felicity again. She always appears when there's some contrived nonsense needing to happen.

The way I see her abandonment issues is she's all geared to overreact and take things to an extreme place before calming down.  She's faced with Oliver lying to her face about what he had promised to tell her about and it's huge and he went to Barry for help, why not her?  And he indicates he had no plan on telling her anytime soon.  That's where her fear of him leaving kicks in and she preemptively decides to has to get out and that it can't ever work. 

Had everyone not died and instead had a chance to talk, and let Oliver explain I think they would have been fine but you know, being dead got in the way. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

How does Oliver think this is going to end?  At least he expected to end S3 dead.  But how can he possibly expect this to end at all well?  If he thinks she wants to break up with him now, he must know she'll really want to break up with him when she finds out he's been lying for a long time.  Does he think she'll never know?  He'll keep visiting his kid and FELICITY, of all people, won't notice when he's gone every other weekend?  Is he actually going to get married to her, lock her in, and then tell her, when it's tougher to dump him?  That is SO FUCKED UP.

Also, since I'm on a roll with my predictions, I'm betting Felicity's going to end up thinking Oliver's cheating on her.

• Love 2

Maybe Oliver thinks that he'll just visit every time he's in Central City for business?  He's such an idiot.

The way I see her abandonment issues is she's all geared to overreact and take things to an extreme place before calming down.  She's faced with Oliver lying to her face about what he had promised to tell her about and it's huge and he went to Barry for help, why not her?  And he indicates he had no plan on telling her anytime soon.  That's where her fear of him leaving kicks in and she preemptively decides to has to get out and that it can't ever work.

That's a good point.  Felicity has been characteristic to over-react and then calm down and re-think things.  Provided Oliver doesn't push her away as he did in s3.

In Lost Souls, she over-reacted and he stayed there for her.  But I guess he's regressed back to s3 for Plot.

I just love that Barry tells him that everyone gets disintegrated because he's distracted about Felicity and Oliver goes around and makes sure everything is done differently. Except Felicity. Of course. How is this not exactly S03?? 

• Love 12