Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

(edited)
7 minutes ago, represent said:

Wallace is an idiot. Yes, those balloons were impressive, wish I could get one with the stars on them. They are huge.

YOOOGE.  (You know Trump is asking why the RNC balloons were not as good.)

Brian has said four time in the past fifteen minutes that "in 15 minutes, it will be 101 days left until we vote" -- "we are almost at the top of the hour, which means that it will be 101 days until the election" -- "it is the top of the hour, and it is 101 days left."  Is Brian lobbying to add a countdown clock to the screen that is already covered with the "LIVE" and "BREAKING NEWS" post-its? 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, represent said:

Wallace is an idiot. Yes, those balloons were impressive, wish I could get one with the stars on them. They are huge.

Wallace is an idiot.  And I did love those beach ball size balloons with the stars on them.  Yay for the Dems.  Yay for Hillary.  Wonderful speech.  I thought it was her best ever.  It was very inclusive.  The Republicans would, of course, say it's partisan.  Wallace is an idiot.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, jjj said:

Is Brian lobbying to add a countdown clock to the screen that is already covered with the "LIVE" and "BREAKING NEWS" post-its?

Well, you wouldn't want the election to sneak up on us unannounced, would you?

• Love 16
(edited)

The big star balloons were my favorite part of the RNC. I'm so happy that the DNC balloon drop far surpassed it! (Like, Rachel, I got a little worried at one point cause there seemed like so many of them. It was gorgeous, though. I hope, somehow, they didn't go to waste).

ITA that Nicole's an idiot. That said, I like Schmidt more and more and he didn't disappoint tonight either. He always seems honest, which is weird.

This is one of the tweets from Trump that Rachel and Brian read. "No one has worse judgement than Hillary Clinton - corruption and devastation follows her wherever she goes!"  It's so over-the-top that I thought it was funny. Even funnier was that right after that they played her clip about how Trump can so easily be baited with a tweet. 

In the after show, Chris M. seemed like he'd been downing coffee all day, completely wired and full of rants. Meanwhile, Hayes looked like he has learned how to sit quietly no matter what moronic thing Matthews is shouting about over everyone else (One example, this election is like..."The Honeymooners" with Trump as Kramden and HRC as Alice and "she's the one whose gotten it right at the end of the story and gets a big kiss"???!!!!)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4

Hating Nicolle Wallace never really crossed me mind. I sort of root for her since she's a fellow UC Berkeley* alum. But her bizarre comments tonight prompted me to stop watching the post-speech coverage completely.

(Since Rachel went to Stanford, and Stanford is UC Berkeley's rival, I wonder if that factors into their relationship!?!)

(edited)

Speaking of of those big balloons, I couldn't stop laughing about this Tweet: 

image.jpg

I tuned into MSNBC this morning, still giddy from last night's amazing set of speakers, and there's that new guy, Jacob Soborow (?) who I think was hired for two reasons: 1.) his hair and 2.) the ability to make Brian Williams seem intelligent. 

Edited by Guest

6 state employees criminally charged in Flint water crisis

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/07/29/6-state-employees-criminally-charged-flint-water-crisis/87697834/

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette and Todd Flood, the Royal Oak attorney heading the AG's investigation, have called an 11:30 a.m. news conference at U-M Flint to further discuss today's criminal charges.

In April, Schuette announced felony charges against two Michigan Department of Environmental Quality officials and one City of Flint official. At that time, he promised more criminal charges would be forthcoming.

snip

The press conference is being covered in its entirety.  

Maybe I am too cynical, but charging nine lower level civil servants like this seems like a dodge.  These poor scapegoats are just horribly unlucky.  I mean, I wish we would hear about the people who made the decision to use the poison water in the first place.    

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Speaking of of those big balloons, I couldn't stop laughing about this Tweet: 

image.jpg

I tuned into MSNBC this morning, still giddy from last night's amazing set of speakers, and there's that new guy, Jacob Soborow (?) who I think was hired for two reasons: 1.) his hair and 2.) the ability to make Brian Williams seem intelligent. 

Funniest tweet of the convention. 

• Love 2

Also saw a lot of the press conference on the charges filed in the Flint water case.  I agree this probably needs to go higher, but it is not clear to me how this will progress.  And still if I were in Flint, I would still be saying, "Is this going to fix my water?"  Because they are sitting there in the middle of a hot, hot summer with water that needs to come out of filters, and "it is safe to drink, unless you are a child under five or pregnant."  So, in other words, drink at your own risk. 

Where is the fix?  I certainly expect Rachel to devote some time to this tonight.  (Hope it is not a day off, but I'm thinking she would have stayed to do a convention review.)

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Joy has been a real star this past week.  Also, I love camaraderie between Chris and Joy. 

I loved the facial expressions and side eye Chris Hayes is giving to Matthews.  

His facial expressions are priceless and the camera person knows darn well just the right time to show them.

Good tv.

And I love Joy that she keeps up the good fight like so many other poor souls that try to have a damn discussion in the presence of Matthews.  Chris Hayes was like fuck it, I'm not stressing myself out, LOL. When it's quiet enough I say a thing or two otherwise, see you at 8PM on All In...

Edited by represent
  • Love 6

Why am I not surprised that in the "Road Warriors" (eye roll) retrospective of high notes and low notes of the RNC and DNC, everyone else but Jacob, talked about the speakers or something to do with the conventions.  Jacob Soboroff's 2 choices were both about....himself.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Padma said:

Why am I not surprised that in the "Road Warriors" (eye roll) retrospective of high notes and low notes of the RNC and DNC, everyone else but Jacob, talked about the speakers or something to do with the conventions.  Jacob Soboroff's 2 choices were both about....himself.

Oh, no, did he have a bad hair day during the conventions?

ETA (link to clip below):  I was muting or on CSPAN when Brian said that he’s “never had a balloon drop for anything" and then said about the Road Warriors that "If we didn’t know them, each of them, individually, so well, you would just assume they're all hammered".  Well, Brian, you have had anvil-shaped balloon drops!  Except, of course, they were not balloons.   

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/

Edited by jjj
(edited)

Today on MTP Daily, Chuck reports that Trump is thrilled that his Thursday night convention speech got higher Nielson ratings than Hillary's.  So, therefore, in his mind, he won the ratings war.

One of his guests, an former W staffer, says the Never Trump crowd will not vote for Hillary because Bernie made her move too far left.  Guess they're not voting for president then.  She's a lot less left than the Johnson/Weld ticket.

Chuck also showed polls this the Libritarian and Green ticket factored in.  The Green ticket hurts Hillary much more that either hurt Trump.

This makes me depressed and scared.  I almost am beginning to care only about the Senate so I can see Mitch McConnell reduced to a marginal figure.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, stormy said:

This makes me depressed and scared.  I almost am beginning to care only about the Senate so I can see Mitch McConnell reduced to a marginal figure.

Don't pout, vote!  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, jjj said:

Oh, no, did he have a bad hair day during the conventions?

Close!  The worst moment of the convention was a mean man told him to "Get out of the way" at the RNC.  And the best part of the convention was getting to be on stage during Katy Perry's mic check.  (And Jacob actually answered LAST, after Kristen and Chris had given -genuine- insights about the conventions. Ay-yi-yi!)

As for Trump v. Clinton, my anxiety's going the other direction. I came in in the middle of Rachel's piece on some electoral college polling. I was confused about the source--but seemed quite a few, and credible. All had HRC in the 300 and Trump under 200 "as of today". Nothing I've seen's been that strong so I was confused, but started worrying about over-confidence keeping some people away.   On the other hand, it would be fun to see Trump's numbers universally tanking and watch his meltdown. Watching his rally today on MSNBC he was so gleeful to have had 2 million more viewers than HRC for his convention speech. Flash news, Donald! Those are two million more people who can't stand you!  (Just kidding, but my point is he's so into numbers--are ratings and polls like counting money?--but apparently doesn't realize that just because we're -watching- him doesn't mean we are all -loving- what we are seeing.  Maybe some day someone will tell him....) 

• Love 9
(edited)

The GOOD news is, according to Rachel, Trump et al do not have anything planned for the week-end.  (Small gifts .... )

ETA:  Rachel talked about that gentleman & his wife who'd lost their boy in Afghanistan & they're going to be on LOD's show tonight.  Can't wait!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4
On 7/29/2016 at 0:03 AM, jjj said:

YOOOGE.  (You know Trump is asking why the RNC balloons were not as good.)

Brian has said four time in the past fifteen minutes that "in 15 minutes, it will be 101 days left until we vote" -- "we are almost at the top of the hour, which means that it will be 101 days until the election" -- "it is the top of the hour, and it is 101 days left."  Is Brian lobbying to add a countdown clock to the screen that is already covered with the "LIVE" and "BREAKING NEWS" post-its? 

I wonder if the CIA would consider using tapes of Brian Williams on MSNBC as an "enhanced interrogation techniques".

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, oakville said:

I wonder if the CIA would consider using tapes of Brian Williams on MSNBC as an "enhanced interrogation techniques".

Never. Some things are just too awful to subject human beings to. 

• Love 6

Never thought I would say this, but seeing that Jacob person makes me look fondly back at Luke Russert.  Well, maybe..almost.  Whenever I see the Jacob Person (that is how I am going to think of him from now on) readying himself for camera-time, I flip the channel.  Endless reruns of Fixer Upper, Property Brothers, the Flipper people, entitled House Hunters, the Tiny house hunters (bless their hearts)  seem exciting and fresh.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wasn't able to watch MSNBC gavel to gavel, so I'm wondering, was there any discussion on the channel of the way Obama's introductory film absolutely hung Rahm Emanuel out to dry? It was a shocking display of disloyalty by Obama's inner circle (who I assume speak for him) to a lieutenant who, whatever you think of him, only had Obama's best interests at heart.

Edited by Milburn Stone
48 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I wasn't able to watch MSNBC gavel to gavel, so I'm wondering, was there any discussion on the channel of the way Obama's introductory film absolutely hung Rahm Emanuel out to dry? It was a shocking display of disloyalty by Obama's inner circle (who I assume speak for him) to a lieutenant who, whatever you think of him, only had Obama's best interests at heart.

I didn't get that impression. 

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Rahm deserved to be thrown under the bus. I live in Chicago and he's ruined things here for average working folks. Also, Michelle hates him so there's that.

This channel has fallen so far off a cliff it's scary.

• Love 10
(edited)

Fredericka Whitfield is so hoping for some dramatic story to be behind this hot air balloon crash in Texas (16 killed, all people on board). I am a chicken about heights and fire gives me anxiety so you couldn't pay me to get in one, I would assume it would catch on fire and crash. They keep cutting to it as Breaking News! with her talking to FAA experts, trying to get the potential cause. The 3 she's talked to so far have said the exact same thing when she poses her question on how the basket could be in fire. I am waiting for her to question whether there was a potential terrorism cause.

Ooops, thought I was in CNN thread. Posted this over there.

Edited by Decoda
moved to CNN thread
(edited)

I just saw Andrea Mitchell reporting from a bus, on the Clinton-Paine bus tour.  She is reporting well, but really looks like she needs a break.  She shines compared to some of the reporters they put on the convention. 

Like the Democratic candidates, this left-leaning channel (say what you will, but it is not CNN or Fox!) is trying to find an audience in the middle of American viewership.  It is a touch balancing act.  When MSNBC is "on" -- Joy Reid, Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow (minus her comments about Bill Clinton's speech), and Chris Jansing have done a great job this past week, and most weeks. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
On 7/29/2016 at 10:53 AM, 33kaitykaity said:

The press conference is being covered in its entirety.  

Maybe I am too cynical, but charging nine lower level civil servants like this seems like a dodge.  These poor scapegoats are just horribly unlucky.  I mean, I wish we would hear about the people who made the decision to use the poison water in the first place.    

The three low level folks that were previously charged are helping with the investigation that has so far netted six more folks charged.  I hope those charged keep cooperating and it eventually reaches to Snyder's office.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Decoda said:

Fredericka Whitfield is so hoping for some dramatic story to be behind this hot air balloon crash in Texas (16 killed, all people on board). I am a chicken about heights and fire gives me anxiety so you couldn't pay me to get in one.

Wow, I had not seen that.  That is already a pretty dramatic story.  (I also will never be in one of those; they are beautiful, but when something goes wrong, there are not the redundancies that commercial airplanes have.)

• Love 1

Someone or other with the last name of Herskovitz (?) just reported that the balloon went down close to "the best bbq joint" in Texas. (my kinda' paraphrase)

Best BBQ? Now?

Fox was reporting this tragedy well before MSNBC.

Has MSNBC forgotten that there's a big wide world outside of the elections?

• Love 4
(edited)

Is anyone else as grateful for the insights of Malcolm Nance as I am?

eta: I forgot to mention Nina Turner this morning on the 9 o'clock eastern hour with Frances Rivera.  Turner was pissing and moaning about not getting to speak at the DNC, she continued to dissemble and tell lies just has she has this whole election cycle; the DNC didn't want her ass near the podium because she's been a divisive, lying rabid Sanders supporter - Tuesday night was about unity - not divisiveness.

I used to really admire Turner, but she can't ever get her facts right anymore - I'm disappointed to see that she's been made and MSNBC analyst.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 9
(edited)

^^^ Too bad.

That could have been the best BBQ in the whole wide world!

Ground Zero seems to now apply to 4 cases of Zika in Florida.

Ground Zero. 

Thanks, whoeveryouare. Francesca?

Edited by NewDigs

He truly is despicable:

"Donald Trump responds to the Khan family: 'Maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say'"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/30/donald-trump-responds-to-the-khan-family-maybe-she-wasnt-allowed-to-have-anything-to-say/

There are quotes from Friday's Lawrence O'Donnell interview that included the wife, who said she could not even bear to look at her son's picture, which was displayed behind them, and that "I controlled myself at the time" (on stage).  I saw nothing but heartbreak on that mother's face. 

• Love 15

I'll admit I didn't watch the entire interview with Lawrence because it was so heartbreaking and I'm sleep deficient this week and I had a fight with my crazy boss yesterday and fuck you Donald Trump you heartless asshole.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

zPGKCQ1.png

• Love 3
10 hours ago, jjj said:

I just saw Andrea Mitchell reporting from a bus, on the Clinton-Paine bus tour.  She is reporting well, but really looks like she needs a break.  She shines compared to some of the reporters they put on the convention. 

Like the Democratic candidates, this left-leaning channel (say what you will, but it is not CNN or Fox!) is trying to find an audience in the middle of American viewership.  It is a touch balancing act.  When MSNBC is "on" -- Joy Reid, Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow (minus her comments about Bill Clinton's speech), and Chris Jansing have done a great job this past week, and most weeks. 

It's actually Clinton-Kaine BTW.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks, nowandlater. The two tweets from Axelrod clear some things up while making other things muddier. I believe him that Obama didn't know about the film. It also makes sense that Axelrod did supervise the film, because the bit in the film about Emanuel advising Obama against ACA comes straight from Axelrod's book Believer. But here's what doesn't square. In tweet 2 of 2, Axelrod honors Emanuel for doing exactly what he should do as Chief of Staff, in advising Obama of the political risks associated with the ACA. But the film Axelrod created threw him under the bus for doing just that.

Edited by Milburn Stone
26 minutes ago, maraleia said:

It's actually Clinton-Kaine BTW.

Oh, for heaven's sake!  I am now ready to be an advisor to the Trump campaign.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, jjj said:

Oh, for heaven's sake!  I am now ready to be an advisor to the Drumpf campaign.  

Don't say that. You're too intelligent to even have that thought in your head.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, jjj said:

I wondered if the heat and humidity had made it difficult to keep on the "camera ready" makeup. She really did look weary--but I'd rather see her than any "Road Warrior" other than Kristen Welker, who is similarly, generally, professional.

Andrea talking about having been on the Clinton-Gore bus back in 1992 made me feel her pain. I remember it too, but fortunately just from television! Those bus trips may be okay for the candidates, but they seem grueling for the press.

5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm really liking Tim Kaine!!!

Me, too! Plus, I love the chemistry he and Hillary have. He exudes such niceness, warmth and sincerity and I think their obvious friendship will help her with those "character" areas that, per MSNBC and others' relentless drumbeat of negativity, are a "problem" for her with voters.  Great choice.

• Love 2
(edited)

Dayum.  Once again, go Malcolm Nance!  He is absolutely incensed and furious about tRump.  And bless him for finally saying out loud that tRump's mental health and capacity is at issue in this election.

I caught the odious Scottie Nell Hughes earlier this morning on CNN lying and dissembling.  This situation with the Khan family will hopefully break through completely and sink tRump.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, NextIteration said:

Dayum.  Once again, go Malcom Nance!  He is absolutely incensed and furious about tRump.  And bless him for finally saying out loud that tRump's mental health and capacity is at issue in this election.

I caught the odious Scottie Nell Hughes earlier this morning on CNN lying and dissembling.  This situation with the Khan family will hopefully break through completely and sink tRump.

I'm trying to find the Malcolm Nance segment -- what show was that?  I also saw "the odious Scottie Nell Hughes" talking about the Khans, and it confirms the complete lack of decency associated with the Trump people.   

Just now, jjj said:

I'm trying to find the Malcolm Nance segment -- what show was that?  I also saw "the odious Scottie Nell Hughes" talking about the Khans, and it confirms the complete lack of decency associated with the Trump people.   

Just Google Malcolm Nance.  He's on A.M. Joy.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, jjj said:

Oh, for heaven's sake!  I am now ready to be an advisor to the Trump campaign.  

It's amazing how Trump wants to keep the Khans in the news...He could've just moved on. The Lawrence interview with the Khans could've been the "Last Word" on it. He could've treated them like he treated Michelle Obama, and not made a big deal about it. But, no, he's intent on generating more and more headlines.

• Love 3

Mr. Khan appeared on MTP today and I found him very affecting. Decades of being spun by political consultants has made me wary of a lot of the political process and when I see "civilians" speaking at political events, part of me wonders if they are being exploited by the people behind the curtain (I felt the same suspicion about the mother who lost her son in Benghazi, even though I have great sympathy for her too). Mr. Khan was even more effective answering questions on MTP. His pain and humanity were palpable and heartbreaking. Chuck Todd did a good job.

Then it was on to a lame round table with opportunistic sleazeball Alex  Castellanos, pointless plagiarist Doris Kearns Goodwin, and David "Gee I wonder how Trump happened?" Brooks. Waste of a half hour.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Mr. Khan appeared on MTP today and I found him very affecting. Decades of being spun by political consultants has made me wary of a lot of the political process and when I see "civilians" speaking at political events, part of me wonders if they are being exploited by the people behind the curtain (I felt the same suspicion about the mother who lost her son in Benghazi, even though I have great sympathy for her too). Mr. Khan was even more effective answering questions on MTP. His pain and humanity were palpable and heartbreaking. Chuck Todd did a good job.

Then it was on to a lame round table with opportunistic sleazeball Alex  Castellanos, pointless plagiarist Doris Kearns Goodwin, and David "Gee I wonder how Trump happened?" Brooks. Waste of a half hour.

^^^ EXACTLY!!! ^^^  As soon as I see Alex Castellanos' face, I get angry.  He has never said anything I could remotely agree with!!

• Love 3