Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

Garry Marshall didn't invent jump the shark- from Wikipedia

"Jumping the shark is an idiom popularized by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, which is taken as a sign of desperation, and is seen by viewers to be the point at which the show strayed irretrievably from its original formula. The phrase is based on a scene from a fifth-season episode of the sitcom Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.[1][2][3]

The usage of jump the shark has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise, or creative effort's evolution declines."

These people on MSNBC have no idea about pop culture and Chris proved that point so much last night.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, in a weird way, Marshall did invent it.  He created the show that ended up having an episode wherein Fonzie jumped a shark on water skis and then a tv writer coined the phrase for what he saw as a turn from a great show to an awful show.  If Marshall had written an episode where Fonzie hugged an elephant as opposed to jumping a shark, we'd have a different turn of the phrase these days.

Anyway, Chris was sixteen levels of awkward in all his interviews on his late night show last night.  Honestly, it was awful.  At the end of one segment with April Ryan and Jonathan Capehart discussing the vileness of Steve King the day prior (talking about whites doing it all over other subgroups), he said something to the effect of "how about Zimbabwe" out of nowhere, and they looked at him like he had lost his mind, just as I had thought he had lost his mind. As best as I can tell by his follow-up, he seemed to be referencing that he had been in Zimbabwe in the Peace Corps?, but I think they, along with me, thought he'd officially hugged an elephant:) Did anyone else see that weirdness?

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
On 7/18/2016 at 7:55 PM, jjj said:

"Weaponization of grief."  Is that Steve Schmidt who is saying that? 

Most insightful remark of Monday night.  I feel terrible that Ms Smith lost her son, but she's pretty damn hateful and bitter because of all the lies she's been fed.

Chris Matthews is showing fatigue and getting maudlin in the late night coverage.

Don Jr sounds like Biff to me.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, maraleia said:

Garry Marshall didn't invent jump the shark- from Wikipedia

"The usage of jump the shark has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise, or creative effort's evolution declines."

These people on MSNBC have no idea about pop culture and Chris proved that point so much last night.

It was clear that the person on the headset knew what "jump the shark" meant, where it originated ("Happy Days") and that news reports last night were saying that Garry Marshall eventually admitted that he took responsibility for that scene of shark jumping.  So, Chris (and his headset) were operating from the information that was being published last night.  Yes, eventually the term took on a broader meaning, but what I meant is that Chris got it right in terms of what the news was reporting last night.  Again, RIP, Mr. Marshall, we will continue to enjoy your many, many contributions. 

• Love 2

I agree, Next.

Interesting how it was ok with the republicans that the Bush administration used the death of Pat Tillman and put his family through hell for their agenda.

• Love 3
(edited)

Anyway, Chris was sixteen levels of awkward in all his interviews on his late night show last night.  Honestly, it was awful.  At the end of one segment with April Ryan and Jonathan Capehart discussing the vileness of Steve King the day prior (talking about whites doing it all over other subgroups), he said something to the effect of "how about Zimbabwe" out of nowhere, and they looked at him like he had lost his mind, just as I had thought he had lost his mind. As best as I can tell by his follow-up, he seemed to be referencing that he had been in Zimbabwe in the Peace Corps?, but I think they, along with me, thought he'd officially hugged an elephant:) Did anyone else see that weirdness?

Yes, and April Ryan's expressions/reactions crack me up.  Her "please" expression, which is what I like to call it, hits home every time, LOL.

I also think they know he's off his rocker.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1
(edited)

For me, it is somewhere between listening to the Passion text of the New Testament inciting death ("crucify him!") and listening to the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland ("off with their heads!").  It is just bizarre:  is it tragic, or delusional?  They called it "banana republic" tactics a few times on MSNBC last night, and that does a disservice to actual banana republics. 

42 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I don't know exactly why but I feel like I'm watching the Hunger Games.

Edited by jjj
(edited)

There are 18 African American delegates at the RNC. The MSNBC camera crew is doing a great job in locating them--in that great big nearly unbroken sea of white people--every time someone mentions all the great things Trump will do for America's minorities.

And, thank you, MSNBC, for having Tony Schwartz on in an interview today. As co-author (actually, the author) of "The Art of the Deal", Schwartz is one of the few people around who aren't bound by one of those crazy Trump NDAs. (Not surprised he got a threatening letter--and a demand to return "the advance and all the royalties"--anyway)

I appreciated his courage in speaking out about Trump, and talking about the myth that Schwartz helped to create through his book. (Also, how cute was his reverence for Gene Robinson? I wish we could   have heard more from both of them but I guess that wouldn't be the kind of convention the GOP has in mind.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4
(edited)

Chris Matthews' Drunk Uncle-style interview of SNL's Colin Jost and Michael Che was terribly great or greatly terrible.

(By the way, I canceled cable at the end of June before moving to L.A. and I've been watching an "MSNBC International" feed the past month -- a feed that only plays MSNBC commercials. I think after 3-4 days of this, I'm going insane.)

UPDATE: At just before 1 am ET, Matthews suggested that Hillary pick a VP candidate who isn't "horny for ambition."

Edited by nowandlater
27 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

Chris Matthews' Drunk Uncle-style interview of SNL's Colin Jost and Michael Che was terribly great or greatly terrible.

(By the way, I canceled cable at the end of June before moving to L.A. and I've been watching an "MSNBC International" feed the past month -- a feed that only plays MSNBC commercials. I think after 3-4 days of this, I'm going insane.)
UPDATE: At just before 1 am ET, Matthews suggested that Hillary pick a VP candidate who isn't "horny for ambition."

Yup, I heard all that, also.  I was in another room, and thought Chris had gone to a bar, with all the yukking and back-slapping (which I am sure I heard).  And Chris confused the name of HIS OWN SHOW and Weekend Update at one point. 

That was one weird discussion about how HRC should pick a VP -- "bland", not "horny for ambition" -- and I know I heard him say "unimpeachable, heh, heh" (wink, wink, nod, nod).  Really, you want to remind people about that?  Hasn't the RNC done enough of that this week? 

Chris is so weirdly predictable. It was so obvious he was going to be angry at Cruz for not being "honorable" and endorsing Trump ("or why even go?")  When someone brought up how that would mean ignoring Trump's insults to his wife and insinuation that his father was involved in killing JFK--plus seem the ultimate hypocrisy after all the things Cruz said about Trump ("sniveling coward"; "narcissist" and more)--Matthews was like "oh, that's just politics, water under the bridge now. He should endorse the party's nominee!!!!"

I can't say Cruz is or isn't a man of principle at heart, but a good case could be made that not endorsing Trump when he has such a low opinion of him (and surely can't think he'd be a good president, considering that part about "liberty" and "honoring the Constitution") COULD be an example of being principled. That seems completely unimportant to Chris--politics and political alliances apparently being more important than anything else.

Sometimes he really seems to love the "game" of politics too much.  (Though I did like him interrogating..grilling... the conservative leader-guy about why the Republicans -really- hate Hillary).

• Love 5

Chris Matthews' Drunk Uncle-style interview of SNL's Colin Jost and Michael Che was terribly great or greatly terrible

Was THAT what he was going for? I thought he'd had a little too much Trump Meth and was trying to cruise Colin Jost. Or something. Could somebody please reboot him? Or give him the hook? Maybe I'm a Chicken Little, but in case he hasn't noticed, there's a huge vacuum in American politics being filled by some very frightening people and it has really stopped being funny. 

• Love 2

I totally agree with the comments above that question the reaction of Cruz's speech by these clowns. Apparently they have gotten so used to these conventions being schmoozy  corporatist love fest coronations that when someone doesn't go along, he's a pariah or a jerk (now granted there are plenty of reasons not to like Cruz....but his refusal to endorse Trump is not one IMO.) Yet these same jerks lament the good ole days of the 1950s and 1960s when there was conflict and debate. 

That a guy is getting pummelled by these go-along-to-get-along hacks for the oh-so-controversial position of voting your conscience is kind of appalling.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

That a guy is getting pummelled by these go-along-to-get-along hacks for the oh-so-controversial position of voting your conscience is kind of appalling.

I'm really glad I wasn't watching MSNBC. I would have been infuriated. Was there no one who said that voting your conscience might be an idea they could endorse?

• Love 2
(edited)

Just saw a commercial MSNBC ran for themselves, showing Jacob Soboroff (who I can't stand), Katy Tur, Hallie Jackson and several other of their younger reporters, all dressed in black, looking like they're posing for a rock album cover. So while MSNBC moves to the right (or at least the center) they are apparently going to start spinning themselves as being the young, hip news network.

My negative reaction to Jacob Soboroff is purely visceral. I can't intellectually articulate why he bugs me. He just feels to me like the poster boy for the superficial, ambitious young reporter who spends more time on his hair than researching a story. The first time I remember seeing him was in the coverage of the shootings at that Oregon junior college.  He did some on-the-spot interviews in which he came across as rather smug and superior to his interview subjects.

And I remember him being snarky and dismissive towards Bernie Sanders, saying that the only people would vote for him were Brooklyn or Echo Park (LA) hipsters. Whatever you think of Sanders, that statement is demonstrably untrue, given that he won primaries by huge margins in places like Alaska, Utah, North Dakota, and Montana, hardly hotbeds of urban hipsterism. So that was an idiotic statement, and showed a clear bias that a "reporter" is not supposed to have.

Even with his square suits and 50s haircut, give me Ed Schultz any day.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

I saw "Jake" for the first time last night. Rachel was absolutely thrilled that he got Nikki Haley to say she'd vote for Trump. It looked like she just wanted rid of the annoying gnat but what do I know? Not impressed. I only saw him briefly but he seemed an over anxious puppy. Tiring.

Just saw the MJ crew doing convention coverage. Joe even had a suit and tie on! Are we stuck with them all night?

At least Hayes is on now saying, Buh, by Roger. Does Margaret Sullivan really believe Ailes might get into politics? Well, he's sleazy enough.

4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm really glad I wasn't watching MSNBC. I would have been infuriated. Was there no one who said that voting your conscience might be an idea they could endorse?

No one put it like that. Todd kind of danced up to the possibility that Cruz wasn't the most reprehensible person in the world for showing up without endorsing Trump (like St. Reagan didn''t endorse Ford in 1976), but was shouted down by Matthews, as was David Corn later, who also might have had an independent thought to bring to the table but wasn't given a chance.

The reaction of the MSNBC commentators--lots and lots of them--last night to the Trump/Cruz dust up was really depressing. They were so caught up in the emotion pro/con what Cruz said (which, frankly, I found pretty mild) that they could have cared less how divisive Trump continues to be even at his own convention, even in his own party (and he clearly thought nothing of upstaging Mike Pence with the Cruz dust-up. Cruz could have been Mon or Tues night, but this way he could take the headlines from Pence and make it all about Trump.  For some reason the MSNBC people were caught up in the popularity contest and seemed to completely forget this is a man who supposedly wants to be the next U.S. president. 

They were so quickly co-opted to "Team Trump" at least for the night. It was scary.

(I'm also sick of hearing how tonight's speech will "make or break" it for the convention--could leave it with a great memory yadda yadda. No, actually. It's been four days and we've seen it--the hate, the anger/rage toward Hillary, the plagiarism (the reported-on lying about it). The press, inc. MSNBC, talks about something for a day and moves on like it never existed at all.  No wonder they're so easily manipulated. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Chris Mathews:  "Well that (speech) hit the erogenous zones of his supporters".  And a minute later, to Joy, who used the word "dystopian" -- "Joy, what does 'dystopian' mean?"  Really.  I know everyone does not use the word, but it certainly has been in the air lately. 

Next hour:  Chris talking to an actor (?) and Chris said:  "You've got that look in your eyes, that Bill Clinton look that says, 'I want more than French fries from you tonight, lady'"  WTF??? 

Chris just said for the *third* time in an hour how good Ivanka Trump's "pronunciation" was (I think he meant "enunciation," but maybe he was referring to her lack of a Queens accent.)  And "she obviously went to a very good school, but not hoity-toity."  No, Chris, just the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania for her bachelor's degree.  Not hoity-toity at all. But, yeah, they pronounce things real good there. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, jjj said:

Chris Mathews:  "Well that (speech) hit the erogenous zones of his supporters".  And a minute later, to Joy, who used the word "dystopian" -- "Joy, what does 'dystopian' mean?"  Really.  I know everyone does not use the word, but it certainly has been in the air lately. 

Next hour:  Chris talking to an actor (?) and Chris said:  "You've got that look in your eyes, that Bill Clinton look that says, 'I want more than French fries from you tonight, lady'"  WTF??? 

He's definitely losing it (or not getting "it")!!!

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Chris has lost it ever since his wife lost her primary race...he is clearly off his rocker with the statement's he's made of late.

• Love 7
(edited)

I've thought Chris has needed to pack it in for quite a while. He's been loosing it in one way or another for a few years at the very least. He used to seem like a quick witted and pretty intelligent guy and even when I didn't always agree with him he could be entertaining. It kind of makes me sad to watch him now so I try not to it too often.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 6

I took a class in college that was team-taught and there was a hugely noticeable gap in the analytical skills and intellect of the two professors. When we all gave group presentations at the end of the semester, the dimmer of the two never had anything substantive to say in his critiques, but instead focused exclusively on verbal styles and mannerisms of the presenters. That was all I could think of last night listening to CM go on and on about Ivanka. Perhaps that is now his go-to compliment for women since oozing about their looks has been taken off the table.

• Love 2

The only dipshit on this network who seemed to realize the emperor had no clothes with that speech was Michael Steele, who said this morning that he found the delivery unhinged, or words to that effect.

And nobody seemed to pick up on the point that promising people "safety" is a hallmark of fascism.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

The only dipshit on this network who seemed to realize the emperor had no clothes with that speech was Michael Steele, who said this morning that he found the delivery unhinged, or words to that effect.

I really like Steele on the satellite talk radio show "Steele and Unger." (Unger represents the left.) The POTUS channel on SiriusXM. Despite having been RNC Chair, Steele is a decent human being.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

12 hours ago, jjj said:

Chris just said for the *third* time in an hour how good Ivanka Trump's "pronunciation" was (I think he meant "enunciation," but maybe he was referring to her lack of a Queens accent.)  And "she obviously went to a very good school, but not hoity-toity."  No, Chris, just the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania for her bachelor's degree.  Not hoity-toity at all. But, yeah, they pronounce things real good there. 

Chris has lost it and his Ivanka crush isn't going to end well.  Actually, I too think Ivanka presents herself well and is the best of the Trumps, but she IS whole-heartedly selling a product I disapprove of (her father) and has joined him in some questionable deals in the past (condos in Baja, CA, for example), so it IS kind of gross to see her being deified on MSNBC. Joy's look of disgust as Matthews gushed over her was kind of funny, followed by her lone refusal to play along, "I'm not part of the Cult of Ivanka".  (And she spent five years at a "hoity toity" boarding school so her diction -should- be good, Chris. Not to mention, of course, U of P.)

I am not looking forward to next week's coverage with CM. He is from Philly and I predict (1) he will stereotype it all week and (2) will keep telling us why HRC has problems connecting with white working class men, while Trump has that "working class billionaire" thing going on (as he said last night). Ugh.

Have to chime in on Michael Steele, though. I found it was he, Robinson and Steve Schmidt that I looked most forward to hearing from through the week. And there were times Steele actually was the one to shut down a pro-Trump spin from an MSNBC host.

I feel bad for Rachel trying to engage Brian. If he isn't shuffling papers and looking away, his unsmiling expression always looks like he's trying to remember if he left dry food out for the cat. It may just be that he hates not being the center of attention, but --try though she does-- I think they have zero chemistry.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Padma said:

Chris has lost it and his Ivanka crush isn't going to end well.  Actually, I too think Ivanka presents herself well and is the best of the Trumps, but she IS whole-heartedly selling a product I disapprove of (her father) and has joined him in some questionable deals in the past (condos in Baja, CA, for example), so it IS kind of gross to see her being deified on MSNBC. Joy's look of disgust as Matthews gushed over her was kind of funny, followed by her lone refusal to play along, "I'm not part of the Cult of Ivanka".  (And she spent five years at a "hoity toity" boarding school so her diction -should- be good, Chris. Not to mention, of course, U of P.)

I am not looking forward to next week's coverage with CM. He is from Philly and I predict (1) he will stereotype it all week and (2) will keep telling us why HRC has problems connecting with white working class men, while Trump has that "working class billionaire" thing going on (as he said last night). Ugh.

Have to chime in on Michael Steele, though. I found it was he, Robinson and Steve Schmidt that I looked most forward to hearing from through the week. And there were times Steele actually was the one to shut down a pro-Trump spin from an MSNBC host.

I feel bad for Rachel trying to engage Brian. If he isn't shuffling papers and looking away, his unsmiling expression always looks like he's trying to remember if he left dry food out for the cat. It may just be that he hates not being the center of attention, but --try though she does-- I think they have zero chemistry.

Bolding mine.

Agree completely. I think it speaks to RM's professionalism. 

BriWi provides so many eye-rollers. The other night he was going on about the RNC house band and went on to mention the band's leader, G. E. Smith, used to be the leader of the SNL band. 

Okay fine, I was wondering, but, I didn't need BriWi to reassure us that Smith had "his axe" with him. (insert eyeroll)

So many grin-and-bear-it moments for Rachel. 

• Love 3
(edited)

He's dumb.  He's  a dumb man, much like character his daughter plays on Girls.  I'm convinced he got where he is or has been, on his back and/or because the networks thought he was handsome. 

I do feel for Rachel because I see her as having above average intelligence, if not being just brilliant, so it's got to be torture for her. 

But, she's  a team player so...

Joy's look of disgust as Matthews gushed over her was kind of funny, followed by her lone refusal to play along, "I'm not part of the Cult of Ivanka".  (And she spent five years at a "hoity toity" boarding school so her diction -should- be good, Chris. Not to mention, of course, U of P.)

LOL, love Joy, she's not playing along, which means she might not be on this fast moving toward right-wing network for long. I wish she, Rachel, and Chris Hayes would leave, it would set me free.

Chris Matthews is absolutely disgusting.

Edited by represent
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Padma said:

Actually, I too think Ivanka presents herself well and is the best of the Trumps, but she IS whole-heartedly selling a product I disapprove of (her father) and has joined him in some questionable deals in the past (condos in Baja, CA, for example), so it IS kind of gross to see her being deified on MSNBC. Joy's look of disgust as Matthews gushed over her was kind of funny, followed by her lone refusal to play along, "I'm not part of the Cult of Ivanka".  (And she spent five years at a "hoity toity" boarding school so her diction -should- be good, Chris. Not to mention, of course, U of P.)

Her shoe line has been sued for ripping off other people's designs.  And I don't know if the dress she was wearing is an Ivanka line or not (she tweeted a link to where you can buy it at Macy's), but it was made in China.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Her shoe line has been sued for ripping off other people's designs.  And I don't know if the dress she was wearing is an Ivanka line or not (she tweeted a link to where you can buy it at Macy's), but it was made in China.

Indeed, she was wearing an Ivanka dress ($139, if I read the news articles correctly), plus there was an article about the styling of the Trumps, male and female, in today's New York Times, and the subtext of their choices/aligned style.  It was so clear that the Pences were not part of the clan on stage last night (that is me talking, not the article).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/fashion/donald-trump-family-cleveland.html?hpw&rref=fashion&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

He is from Philly and I predict (1) he will stereotype it all week

Yep, brace yourselves, folks, for endless references to Pat's Steaks.

He's dumb.  He's  a dumb man, much like character his daughter plays on Girls.  I'm convinced he got where he is or has been, on his back and/or because the networks thought he was handsome. 

Yep. Pretty Boy Modelling Agency material (random "Get A Life!" reference.)

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Yep, brace yourselves, folks, for endless references to Pat's Steaks.

I lived in Philadelphia for over 10 years (including as an adult) and ate an impressive number of cheesesteaks (fabulous food!).  But neither I nor anyone I know ever went to Pat's Steaks.  I know it is iconic as a Philadelphia image, but to me, anyone promoting it does not really appreciate the more authentic street food and corner store food scene, which is impressive. 

Around 1:30 AM I heard Chris say he was going to tell us the "three words" that have pronunciation that define Philadelphians -- I did not last long enough to find out what they were -- did anyone hear that?

Also, Chris Jansing is now regularly anchoring the "Up Too Early" show from 5:30-6:00 AM ET -- very reassuring to see her there!  And she was broadcasting from Philadeliphia this morning, so I have hope of seeing her from time to time. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

I get your point jjj, I just remembered back when Kerry was a candidate he made a campaign stop at Pat's and ordered, heaven forbid, the wrong thing (he might have asked for Gruyère cheese?!?), and Tweety spent a whole damn segment of Hardball yapping about Pat's Steaks and how someone should have prepped Kerry for this all-so-important stop it's a national treasure and omigod Kerry is such an elitist at heart he can't even be authentic blah blah blah.

I get it. It's like assuming Bostonians go to "Cheers."

Is Chris the regular host of Way Too Early or are they still rotating? (I saw her this am.) It's not good enough for her!

• Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I get your point jjj, I just remembered back when Kerry was a candidate he made a campaign stop at Pat's and ordered, heaven forbid, the wrong thing (he might have asked for Gruyère cheese?!?), and Tweety spent a whole damn segment of Hardball yapping about Pat's Steaks and how someone should have prepped Kerry for this all-so-important stop it's a national treasure and omigod Kerry is such an elitist at heart he can't even be authentic blah blah blah.

I get it. It's like assuming Bostonians go to "Cheers."

Is Chris the regular host of Way Too Early or are they still rotating? (I saw her this am.) It's not good enough for her!

I have to admit that asking for anything other than Provolone or American cheese (maybe Swiss) would get you laughed at.  Pats Steaks uses Cheez Whiz.  But yes, Kerry was an elitist! 

I've been seeing Chris Jansing on "Way Too Early" for over two weeks now; not clear if she is there on a more long-term basis.  I agree it is not good enough for her!  But she seems ready to go where the news is, so has been in Baton Rouge, Cleveland, and this morning Philadelphia to host the show.

There was a fun moment at the end of the Brian/Rachel coverage last night where they said, "that's it from Cleveland; on to Philadelphia!" -- and the backdrop suddenly went from the convention floor to the skyline of what I presumed was Philadelphia (some odd shot that did not have City Hall in it, the iconic image!).  Rachel suddenly realized it had changed and wheeled around to look at the new backdrop, and all th e panelists started looking. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Well, at least one Republican has pivoted after the convention. Hugh Hewitt, judging from his comments on Hardball, is 100% behind Trump now. There was nothing Chris could ask him that he would criticize--not even criticizing Trump today when Christ showed a clip this a.m. with him talking about how it was okay to link Rafael Cruz to the Kennedy assassination because the Enquirer had a photo of  "Lee Harvey Oswald and Ted Cruz's dad having breakfast together."

At least Chris still had enough brain cells working to point out, unequivocally, that there was absolutely NO "breakfast photo"! Trump is off the rails. "Breakfast together"? That's a degree of lying that even CM hadn't seen before.

• Love 2

The first time I went to Philly years ago, I made the mistake of asking for a "steak and cheese sandwich."  I'll never forget the looks I got from the people around me.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Padma said:

Well, at least one Republican has pivoted after the convention. Hugh Hewitt, judging from his comments on Hardball, is 100% behind Trump now. There was nothing Chris could ask him that he would criticize--not even criticizing Trump today when Christ showed a clip this a.m. with him talking about how it was okay to link Rafael Cruz to the Kennedy assassination because the Enquirer had a photo of  "Lee Harvey Oswald and Ted Cruz's dad having breakfast together."

At least Chris still had enough brain cells working to point out, unequivocally, that there was absolutely NO "breakfast photo"! Trump is off the rails. "Breakfast together"? That's a degree of lying that even CM hadn't seen before.

Wow, I am so very very surprised to hear that Hugh Hewitt is supporting the Republican nominee.  (Sheesh, get that guy off my screen.)

I also heard about the "breakfast photo" on the news -- and thought, huh, I had not heard about *that* previously.  Of course, I realized there was probably no breakfast photograph, but golly, Trump sounds convincing.  Who would make up something that is that easy to disprove?  Glad to hear Chris Mathews had the sense to point out the truth! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thrilled to hear CM debunk the breakfast-with-Oswald lie.

I spent well over an hour listening to BriWi "report" the lie. No correction. I wanted to bang my head on the steering wheel.

Hugh Hewitt. He was so extreme that at first I thought he was making fun! Then...

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's utterly pathetic. Trump openly mocked Hewitt when he was a panelist at a debate. Hewitt took to predicting the end of the GOP if it nominated Trump. So much for that. He's a total gimp. Who would have thought the only person to maintain some shred of dignity at this mess would be Ted Cruz? (And I guess Kasich for not going.)

As for BriWi just reporting it as truth.....he is one dumb fuck.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, jjj said:

I also heard about the "breakfast photo" on the news -- and thought, huh, I had not heard about *that* previously.  Of course, I realized there was probably no breakfast photograph, but golly, Trump sounds convincing.  Who would make up something that is that easy to disprove?  Glad to hear Chris Mathews had the sense to point out the truth! 

Could they PLEASE fire Williams for letting that go through?  Trump acknowledged it was the photo on the front of the National Enquirer right before the Indiana primary (publisher of Nat Enquirer a Trump pal, and the only person they quoted in throwing the shade at Rafael Cruz was Trump lackey Roger Stone. Hmmmm).

Anyway, surely Brian should remember--this IS his business after all, right?--that the Nat Enq photo Trump's talking about was the blurry photo of Oswald and another man passing out flyers in Miami. Even the Warren Commission couldn't figure out who the other man was. He's never been identified, but apparently Stone was willing to speculate it "could" be Ted Cruz's immigrant father!!!!

Reprehensible!  It was bad enough when Trump used it back in the primary. But to dredge it up again now--in retribution--and totally fabricate that there was a "breakfast" happening is just incredible. And yet, he'll get away with it. Anyone else...anyone (think: Crooked Hillary) would be ripped on as a liar for a week by the press and probably have to withdraw. Trump lies (again and again) and..."eh! No big deal!"

At a minimum, BriWi shouldn't let it get stated (even once) without noting that he has no confirmation that it's true. Then again, maybe people who like to make things up and pretend its true have to stick together.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Padma said:

Could they PLEASE fire Williams for letting that go through?  Trump acknowledged it was the photo on the front of the National Enquirer right before the Indiana primary (publisher of Nat Enquirer a Trump pal, and the only person they quoted in throwing the shade at Rafael Cruz was Trump lackey Roger Stone. Hmmmm).

At a minimum, BriWi shouldn't let it get stated (even once) without noting that he has no confirmation that it's true. Then again, maybe people who like to make things up and pretend its true have to stick together.

It looks like we are in for months of made-up news and unfounded allegations.  And Fox News will run a lot of it.  But that makes it ALL THE MORE IMPORTANT for outlets like MSNBC to verify news before they report it.  Because now the Trump organization has film of friggin' Brian Williams saying this lie is true.  And some people never hear the followup corrections. 

• Love 5
On 7/21/2016 at 3:14 PM, xaxat said:

LA born, NYU educated, hair product using, fashion forward eyeglass wearing Soboroff was talking smack about hipsters?

He looks like a mini Joe Scarborough.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, jjj said:

I have to admit that asking for anything other than Provolone or American cheese (maybe Swiss) would get you laughed at.  Pats Steaks uses Cheez Whiz.  But yes, Kerry was an elitist! 

I've been seeing Chris Jansing on "Way Too Early" for over two weeks now; not clear if she is there on a more long-term basis.  I agree it is not good enough for her!  But she seems ready to go where the news is, so has been in Baton Rouge, Cleveland, and this morning Philadelphia to host the show.

There was a fun moment at the end of the Brian/Rachel coverage last night where they said, "that's it from Cleveland; on to Philadelphia!" -- and the backdrop suddenly went from the convention floor to the skyline of what I presumed was Philadelphia (some odd shot that did not have City Hall in it, the iconic image!).  Rachel suddenly realized it had changed and wheeled around to look at the new backdrop, and all th e panelists started looking. 

Chris Jansing is one of my favourites on MSNBC. She is very knowleadgeable about issues. I like her interviews. I wonder if she gets to sleep ?. She was TV this morning. The network should give her a raise!

• Love 2

So, is everyone pretending that Senator Kaine's wife Anne Holton did not have a career after graduating from Harvard Law?  I was just listening to mid-day MSNBC (Ari Melber, I think, hosting) talking to "Joe", a Democratic strategist (his name card said), who told us that Kaine is so great because of his executive experience as a mayor and governor, and now with the federal legislative experience, and "his wife, his wife, raised three great kids" (and he was reaching just to get to that accomplishment).  In addition to raising three great kids, she was a *judge*, for heaven's sake, and is currently the Secretary of Education for Virginia.  And I suspect Senator Kaine had a handful of contribution in raising the three great kids.  Is she less threatening to middle America if they do not emphasize her professional work?  

• Love 8

Chris Jansing is back on now for an hour, hosting the last hour of live Philly broadcasting. Talk of the day is Tim Kaine as Hillary's VP, who went from being predicted to be a safe bore to a charming and very likeable prescence on TV. The coverage should be interesting as I don't know anything bad people can say about him.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Decoda said:

Chris Jansing is back on now for an hour, hosting the last hour of live Philly broadcasting. Talk of the day is Tim Kaine as Hillary's VP, who went from being predicted to be a safe bore to a charming and very likeable prescence on TV. The coverage should be interesting as I don't know anything bad people can say about him.

I really appreciate the alert!  I had turned off the coverage, but have tuned back in for the refreshment of Chris Jansing's intelligence! 

I certainly had not expected to listen to the entire introduction of Senator Kaine, and I don't know him at all, but I also found him charming and humane. 

Wow, is it pouring rain behind Chris Jansing?  That actually will be a relief in terms of the temperature and humidity.  I can't say Philadelphia is the worst in terms of heat/humidity in summer, but it is the worst I have ever experienced.  Just a yucky climate in the summer.  Pouring rain is always a relief.

• Love 1

I'm no fan of Tim Kaine.  Not a hater but I remember when he was on Rachel's show as chairman of the DNC and I think he made some big mistakes that he seemed to shrug off and I thought at the time, before the mid-terms, Rachel wanted to just shake the man hard.  It will be interesting to see how he interacts with many of the MSNBC people who he has a pretty long 'guest-spot' history with as the VP pick and Clinton's wingman.

I loathe the tough over cooked stale roll crap that is Pat's steaks.  If in Philly, find the Italian Market at 9th and simply walk around and check out the local eateries.  Tons of really good cheesesteaks that come with proper provolone, fresh shredded lettuce and sliced tomato or excellent sauteed peppers and onions.  None of the bad tourist attractions -- I know many born and bred Philadelphians that can list dozens of places to try and they have never once eaten at Pat's.  Not once.  An uncle was curious and went down to check it out and saw what they were selling and figured he would rather go home and dip an old loafer in his wife's homemade cheese sauce instead if he had to.

It is going to be interesting to see how whackadoodle do Chris is going to be.  He hates Hillary with a passion for months on end and then gets almost spittle flying furious whenever it was seen that she was not the favorite Democrat frontrunner.  His incredibly hatred of President Obama when he first announced was almost Pat Buchanan levels of animosity.   In fact he had Racist Pat on more than once to tear then Senator Obama down.  And following the several loses by Clinton in the primaries had David Corn so exasperated he simply folded his arms in the middle of the show with someone else and pretty much just sat there until Chris calmed down and sort of apologized.

Then it was back to hating Hillary for years.  I do wonder if part of his love for the whole process is also tied into the fact that he is progressive enough to appreciate the fact he is seeing a significant first.  With Hillary he sees his chance of living to see the first woman president as well as the first first lady make it into the office of President -- the latter in many ways is a huge shift more than the first in terms of women being accepted in public office as equals .  I truly think a lot of his 'its her turn' themed animosity towards Barack Obama simply disappeared when it truly set in that he was going to see the first Black person elected to be President.

Still I wish they would let him be on as the sort of senior advisor like when they trot out Brokaw.  Have him take that role instead of Brokaw who I also can't stand.

Since Williams varies between WTF left field and overly trite imagery, I wonder which and what of both we will see this coming week.  I think he will make a point to use the phrase "City of Brotherly Love' more times than he ever should.  And I suspect that he will invoke Ben Franklin and the Liberty Bell at least more than once....in a day.

• Love 3