Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

Chris Jansing had the 10-11 am est spot for a year or two and then was promoted to "Sr White House Correspondent" and I think that's still her title, but yes it should be Sr All Around Professional Reporter and Journalist of everything NBC. ;)

• Love 5

Yeah I like Rachel and Chris Hayes and Steve Kornacki but there's something to be said for a reporter who came up in the ranks wearing out shoe leather actually REPORTING. And she was at it again in the wee hours doing Morning Joe from a remote in Dallas. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Yeah I like Rachel and Chris Hayes and Steve Kornacki but there's something to be said for a reporter who came up in the ranks wearing out shoe leather actually REPORTING. And she was at it again in the wee hours doing Morning Joe from a remote in Dallas. 

Yes, I went to bed just before 3:00 AM Pacific Time, put on MSNBC, and there was Chris Jansing on the streets of Dallas, wrapping up the wee hours coverage, and staying on the air to talk with Morning Joe team.  That is, once they (Morning Joe) got past showing pictures from the wedding they attended over the weekend -- they were all: look how touching the wedding was and how wasted we were, then flipped to Chris Jansing, who was all: this is the situation in Dallas, and this is what we learned about the shooter over the weekend.  You could not ask for more contrast than the clubby softball Morning Joe schtick and cool reporting from Chris. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Watched Nicole Wallace's interview with Jeb Bush. Learned she got the job as Jeb's press secretary (and probably other jobs, too, based on looks apparently even though she knew next to nothing that was required. That's kind of sad, thinking of qualified people who weren't given that chance.) Also, I didn't know she didn't vote for anyone in 2008--totally get that, even if Jeb doesn't. (McCain was..what? 70+ and a survivor of four melanomas? Palin would be a pretty good reason to not vote for him, not to mention that he wasn't the man in 2 008 that many people thought he was years earlier).

Jeb is still such a nebbish. He learned absolutely nothing from campaigning against Trump--including that a lot of people respond to someone who is blunt and forceful in making criticisms. "Kudos to him for working the press...kudos to him for seeing the opening..." but "no, I can't vote for the guy."  Wallace mentions his cyber bullying and Jeb is immediately doing his own "macho " thing of "no, that didn't bother me. I'm man enough not to be bothered by those attacks (like the story about being interviewed after Trump called him an "ass----". Proud that after dithering with Dana Bash, "I just walked away, laughing.")  Yes, he was more critical of Trump than the others, but no, he didn't do it in a very good way. More like, "Yes, he's not a very good candidate, but you've got to give him credit for X,Y,Z.  I can't vote for either him or Clinton. It breaks my heart. Nothing different I could have done, though. It just wasn't meant to be."

Zzzzzzz...Trump nailed it on the "low energy" critique. You don't have to be angry, but would it hurt him to speak with a sense of conviction?

Oh, and Nicole? If you want to give your son a message about how adults should behave, I don't  think expressing regret that Jeb didn't physically punch Trump in the face is really the answer for his campaign or for filling the role model to children that Trump isn't.  Not sure what she was thinking there. Maybe a strong VERBAL response,--saying it like he meant it and staying on message for a while--would have been a better response.

Interesting to see, but Jeb still is annoying. No matter what he says ("meant to be"...blahblahblah) I think his brother would have done a much better job of handling Trump, amazingly enough as I'm no fan of his either.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 6

I couldn't get over how MSNBC treated the whole interview with having all the poobahs in to analyze what Bush was saying as if he was some visiting head of state or something!

And of course with Wallace being the interviewer, you just knew that it would be a kiss-up to Bush with no probing journalistic questions. Bush had the gall to say that Hillary should have been indicted over her emails and of course neither he nor Wallace (nor Brian Williams or Rachel Maddow for that matter) mentioned that he used a private email server while he was governor and that he dumped tens of thousands of emails onto the internet which contained private and confidential classified information. And then he questioned Clinton's foreign affairs policies. This is the guy that is a vocal supporter of his brother's foreign policy that got the country into an unnecessary war! The hypocrisy is strong. Didn't expect anything but platitudes from Williams but I was disappointed in Rachel.

• Love 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, shok said:

I couldn't get over how MSNBC treated the whole interview with having all the poobahs in to analyze what Bush was saying as if he was some visiting head of state or something!

And of course with Wallace being the interviewer, you just knew that it would be a kiss-up to Bush with no probing journalistic questions. Bush had the gall to say that Hillary should have been indicted over her emails and of course neither he nor Wallace (nor Brian Williams or Rachel Maddow for that matter) mentioned that he used a private email server while he was governor and that he dumped tens of thousands of emails onto the internet which contained private and confidential classified information. And then he questioned Clinton's foreign affairs policies. This is the guy that is a vocal supporter of his brother's foreign policy that got the country into an unnecessary war! The hypocrisy is strong. Didn't expect anything but platitudes from Williams but I was disappointed in Rachel.

All true! The panel assembled (inc. BriWi so we know it's really important!) to discuss her softball interview and get all the compliments for being able to do it. Your question about the server would have been outstanding! I didn't know that, and, of course, didn't learn it from them. Plus, pretty shocking that GWB was so super-presidential and qualified and had such wonderful judgement vis.a vis Hillary (two wars, a financial crisis and a $600 billion surplus squandered by his brother notwithstanding). Would have loved if Wallace had asked even ONE difficult question about something, but no such luck!

.Also, I couldn't believe how Bush whined about losing SC because of the Pope going to the border!!!  I don't like Trump, but if the  Pope had said something there that had sounded critical about Bush, Trump would have used it to his advantage!  Instead, the Pope spoke out against the wall, implying disagreement with Trump, and Bush doesn't think "Ah-ha! My chance!" He thinks "Poor me! The Pope criticizing Donald on the eve of a primary is such a distraction!"

Jeb may be a wonk, may be a good administrator, but he really doesn't project "I'm a leader and this (whatever 'this' is) is very important to me." Say what you will about GWB, but he knew how to seem dynamic.  Not sure why Jeb couldn't even fake it.  That was evident all over again in this interview.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

You don't have to be angry, but would it hurt him to speak with a sense of conviction?

Maybe he has none and isn't a good enough actor to pretend to. With Jeb, there was never any "there" there when he was a candidate, and there isn't now. 

I lived in the Albany area back when Chris Jansing (Kopastasy) was there and there was a paper that had polls for 'best of' things in the Capital District every year. One year, one of the categories was Local Celebrity with Whom You'd Most Like to Have a One-Night Stand, and Chris won!

I didn't watch the Jeb Bush sit-down.

I was thinking when Maddow and Brian Williams came on, "There's all this news going on in the world, and they're devoting an hour to an 'exclusive' Jeb Bush sit-down!?!?!"

Then I turned it off.

At least Bush got to reunite with his old press secretary.

• Love 3

I saw a bit on Morning Joe. When Jeb tells Cackles Wallace that he can't vote for either Trump or Clinton, she replies along the lines of, "What should *I* do?" Gag.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nowandlater said:

I was thinking when Maddow and Brian Williams came on, "There's all this news going on in the world, and they're devoting an hour to an 'exclusive' Jeb Bush sit-down!?!?!"

Then I turned it off.

I could see this has mild interest, but to replace a primetime news show with this?  They should have shown it at a weekend hour.  I did not see any of it, thanks for giving me an extra hour last night, MSNBC. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Then I turned it off.

I could see this has mild interest, but to replace a primetime news show with this?  They should have shown it at a weekend hour.  I did not see any of it, thanks for giving me an extra hour last night, MSNBC. 

Oh, and lots of Chris Jansing again today!  Hosting that pre-Morning Joe hour from Dallas again, and then part of the discussion/coverage of the memorial service.

I did not hear GWBush's remarks, but he looked manic during the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," swinging his arms and grinning and pretending to march.  Joe Biden put his head down and appeared to be trying to put himself in another zone (appropriately). The performance and setting of the song was beautiful. As was the President's address. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

President Obama's eulogy was beautiful.  Unfortunately, he's had to do too many of them.  I was even glad to see GWB there.

However, I do hope that's the last I see of the Dallas police chief David Brown.  I know he's gotten all kinds of praise but there's something unhinged about him.  Kinda reminds me of Mike Singletary, and that's not good.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, stormy said:

Did I see Michelle Obama kinda getting friendly with W?  It was cute!

Yes, you did!  I thought she might be trying in a nice way to calm him down (the swinging arms, the marching in place).

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, jjj said:

Yes, you did!  I thought she might be trying in a nice way to calm him down (the swinging arms, the marching in place).

Yeah, every time I see Mrs. Obama with any of the living presidents and their spouses, George Bush Jr. always seems to be the one she's the most chummy/warm with. I think she really likes President Bush and Laura.

You know, for all his faults, I think he might be funny. I've even seen he and Hillary at I can't remember whose funeral, and the two of them were cracking up. You could see Maria Shriver looking at them from a few pews behind, it was funny. I think he likes to joke around.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, represent said:

I've even seen he and Hillary at I can't remember whose funeral, and the two of them were cracking up. You could see Maria Shriver looking at them from a few pews behind, it was funny. I think he likes to joke around.

It was at Nancy Reagan's funeral.  

clintonbush.jpg?itok=wZ6nVxqv

(edited)
14 minutes ago, 33kaitykaity said:

It was at Nancy Reagan's funeral.  

clintonbush.jpg?itok=wZ6nVxqv

Yeah I remember this one, but I'm talking about another funeral. They were in a church, it was a small church too.  Laura wasn't there, and neither was President Obama. Mrs. Obama was there though, Hillary and President Bush. Hillary and Bush were sitting next to one another, I think this might have been way back during Obama's first term because Hillary's hair was longer. I just can't recall whose funeral it was, maybe a presidential spouse, I don't know. But Bush was cracking jokes, his lips were moving in Hillary's ear and Hillary was trying not to bust out laughing. Meanwhile Maria Shriver was in the back staring at them, like I wonder what those two jokers are laughing about. It was funny to me. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, represent said:

Yeah I remember this one, but I'm talking about another funeral. They were in a church, it was a small church too.  Laura wasn't there, and neither was President Obama. Mrs. Obama was there though, Hillary and President Bush. Hillary and Bush were sitting next to one another, I think this might have been way back during Obama's first term because Hillary's hair was longer. I just can't recall whose funeral it was, maybe a presidential spouse, I don't know. But Bush was cracking jokes, his lips were moving in Hillary's ear and Hillary was trying not to bust out laughing. Meanwhile Maria Shriver was in the back staring at them, like I wonder what those two jokers are laughing about. It was funny to me. 

Maybe this?  Betty Ford's funeral...

129904-nancy-reagan-george-w-bush-hillar

(edited)
32 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

Goodbye, Luke!

Wow.  I am sure he will land on his feet.  So many contacts.  Maybe Nancy Pelosi can give him advice on longevity in a career. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I'm glad Lil' Luke is leaving but I am also petty enough that I want to hear it is because he was actually forced to leave but given a gracefully worded out and not that he is using his hugely handed to him tenure with NBC as a jump off point to yet even greater undeserved elements of grandeur thanks to his dad dropping dead.  It seems odd that he would leave a week before the first convention and I find the wording about leaving political journalism a bit strange too. 

I get that contracts end at certain points so maybe his did (which means he either was forced out by the network giving him a pass or he had certain clauses in there that are beneficial to leave as he is doing).   But even in the grander scope it seems odd he is jumping ship as it were just in an election year as the general election is kicking it.  Considering how eagerly the network news division has handed him a position he never earned and never delivered up to the last time I saw his smarmy ass, it also seems odd they would dump him like this. 

So they bring back Brian Williams with levels of deluded grandeur that would have cost him his head in Revolutionary France, turns out Scarborough and Mike are fucking, and now the little dumpling that NBC News kept smothering with all kinds of unearned privilege is going out the door right before what should be a career defining moment that only comes along every four years  -- seriously, Drumpf at the Republican convention could well be the story of the year when all is said and done --- wtf MSNBC?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

I'm glad Lil' Luke is leaving but I am also petty enough that I want to hear it is because he was actually forced to leave but given a gracefully worded out and not that he is using his hugely handed to him tenure with NBC as a jump off point to yet even greater undeserved elements of grandeur thanks to his dad dropping dead.  It seems odd that he would leave a week before the first convention and I find the wording about leaving political journalism a bit strange too. 

So they bring back Brian Williams with levels of deluded grandeur that would have cost him his head in Revolutionary France, turns out Scarborough and Mike are fucking, and now the little dumpling that NBC News kept smothering with all kinds of unearned privilege is going out the door right before what should be a career defining moment that only comes along every four years  -- seriously, Drumpf at the Republican convention could well be the story of the year when all is said and done --- wtf MSNBC?

Yes, the timing seems odd.  We will know soon enough if there is more background, because web outlets focused on D.C. will ferret it out -- and people love to talk off the record if there is something to tell about someone who was not up to snuff.  Agree the "political news" phrase is probably deliberate -- maybe going into sports coverage (did some of the in his college days), or a position more glorious over at Fox News?  I'm betting if he has a non-compete clause, it relates to political news coverage for a set period, hence the use of that phrase. 

• Love 2

I totally get the hatred for Luke, but as I primarily watch the primetime lineup -- Maddow (every night), Last Word (almost every night), All In (every once in a while) and Harball (rarely these days) -- I was thankfully rarely exposed to him.

• Love 2

Yeah I can't decide if his phrasing is because he can't jump to another network doing the same thing right away, he is being disingenuous because whatever he is doing next pretty much proves outright what a tool in the bag he is for big money'd Conservatism and/or his little pouting victimhood on religious issues or he just doesn't want to admit he really got fired. 

• Love 1

I didn't mind him that much, but I won't miss him. I'm going to guess, quitting right before the GOP convention, that there may be some kind of conflict of interest here, that he didn't want to spend the week running around asking congressmen/women about Trump. Just a guess as the timing is so odd.  (That said, I -do- believe he feels he's been working so hard right out of college--insert eyeroll--and now needs to take a break from the grind--one that he can easily afford--to just have fun and find something else to do with his life. Possibly, the excitement is long gone and he's ... burned out.) 

I guess I'll never have my dream--Luke brought in as the last minute anchor at some awful hour, throwing a condescending "What do you think, Brian?" question to Williams. (Of the two, I'd MUCH rather the news was about BriW. That add for the "pros" of MSNBC is so offensive, including him while leaving out others).

• Love 2

I thought they brought in a panel for the Jeb interview because Wallace is not strong enough to build a special around--if the interview had been with Matthews or Hayes or Maddow, it would have stood on it's own but she's such a lightweight interviewer, they brought in people to fill the time and bring some other thoughts about what he said.

• Love 1

The oddest thing to me about Luke leaving is that, per LA Times, he only gave two days notice. We heard about it and then Friday he's gone. It would have made more sense, since he's not on regularly, to take a two week vacation during the conventions and announce afterwards.

The abruptness and immediateness of it (plus his reportedly poor relationship with Andy Lack) makes me wonder what else was going on.  Gossip mills being what they are, I'm sure we'll eventually find out.

I think the timing is brilliant -- so much else going on, and no one is having time to write about his departure!  He did not give two days' notice -- this was planned well in advance, with the official statement from the network accompanying his message.  Those take time to prepare.  There are plenty of people who will write about this at some point; see the article I linked above.  Schadenfreude is a powerful truth serum.

44 minutes ago, Padma said:

The oddest thing to me about Luke leaving is that, per LA Times, he only gave two days notice. We heard about it and then Friday he's gone. It would have made more sense, since he's not on regularly, to take a two week vacation during the conventions and announce afterwards.

The abruptness and immediateness of it (plus his reportedly poor relationship with Andy Lack) makes me wonder what else was going on.  Gossip mills being what they are, I'm sure we'll eventually find out.

I just saw an MSNBC promo that repeated three times. I swear it was fives minutes long. It mostly showcased Brian Williams and Chris Matthews. Chris Hayes was shown for a hot second. He won MSNBC’s only Emmy last year. SMH...

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rhetorica said:

I just saw an MSNBC promo that repeated three times. I swear it was fives minutes long. It mostly showcased Brian Williams and Chris Matthews. Chris Hayes was shown for a hot second. He won MSNBC’s only Emmy last year. SMH...

Are you serious?  If you really saw Chris Hayes added to the ad. then they must be reading posts like ours from here or elsewhere, because he was not in the ad. with Mitchell, Matthews, Todd, Maddow and ugh, Williams.

LOL, they found some tape to just stick him in for a hot second. Oh man, so pathetic.

Why they hell doesn't he have his own ad.? because Rachel has one and she deserves it. But other than her, I think Hayes deserves it most because he's the only one with the Emmy.

I also think he was nominated for a Peabody Award for the work he did covering the unrest/riots, aftermath in Baltimore. 

Who's running this network Roger Ailes?

Get it together and act right, LOL.

Edited by represent
  • Love 5

Wow.  Another attack in France.  This time it's in Nice on Bastille Day.  This is just so, so sad. 

Aaaannnnd once again, it's Brian Williams at the helm.  I can't take it.  I have to go over to CNN.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, represent said:

Why they hell doesn't he have his own ad.? because Rachel has one and she deserves it. But other than her, I think Hayes deserves it most because he's the only one with the Emmy.

I think Chris does some really fantastic reporting on various topics and deserves all the praise for that work.  But...and you knew that was coming...I don't think he's all that good at reporting political races and that's what the push is going to be from marketing through November. So, I guess I do see why they don't push him in the marketing right now.

• Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, pennben said:

I think Chris does some really fantastic reporting on various topics and deserves all the praise for that work.  But...and you knew that was coming...I don't think he's all that good at reporting political races and that's what the push is going to be from marketing through November. So, I guess I do see why they don't push him in the marketing right now.

Point taken, that makes some sense to me. 

But I still don't get a network not promoting the awards that it's won via its shows/hosts. I mean at some point in the evening at least,  there should be an ad. if they are going to have him and his show taking up an hour of prime time, air time, five days a week. He's the lead into their top rated show, I think Rachel's show is the top rated one on the network.

It also still doesn't explain why Williams is being promoted in this ad., since he's not on the schedule as a regular. All the rest have their own political shows and have paid some dues on the network NOT making shit up, LOL. I'm just saying...

I mean, how they argue this soon in the game that he's a "pro?" Because that's the key descriptive word for the five featured in that ad... I don't know, scratches head.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Wow.  Another attack in France.  This time it's in Nice on Bastille Day.  This is just so, so sad. 

Aaaannnnd once again, it's Brian Williams at the helm.  I can't take it.  I have to go over to CNN.  

This was me. I tune into this tragedy unfolding. I hear Brian Williams and I can't take him seriously. So I switch to CNN (and a BBC News livestream)

EDIT: At 8 pm ET, Williams said "We just plowed over" Hardball's timeslot.

Then he and  Chris Matthews had a discussion on Mike Pence as Trump's Veep pick. Wow!

Here's video:

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, nowandlater said:

This was me. I tune into this tragedy unfolding. I hear Brian Williams and I can't take him seriously. So I switch to CNN (and a BBC News livestream)

EDIT: At 8 pm ET, Williams said "We just plowed over" Hardball's timeslot.

Then he and  Chris Matthews had a discussion on Mike Pence as Trump's Veep pick. Wow!

Here's video:

OMG !

I love it when it's not just me.

"We just plowed over"

He's a real dummy isn't he? They must think he's cute or something and that's why he's still on the air?

First of all, who the hell cares about a VP pick at a time like this?  Even Trump knew he should put that announcement off. I assume they've been covering it all day, yet these two "pros"  thought it appropriate to interrupt coverage of the carnage in Nice, to talk about Trump's VP pick for the umpteenth time?  I know they've had to have been covering this all day. It's not like the attack happened yesterday and so they start off with follow up coverage and then get into politics. The story had just broke and they couldn't take a break from Trump.

So inappropriate, yeah, these two are pros alright... I'm sorry, they better edit that darn ad., something's off.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, nowandlater said:

This was me. I tune into this tragedy unfolding. I hear Brian Williams and I can't take him seriously. So I switch to CNN (and a BBC News livestream)  EDIT: At 8 pm ET, Williams said "We just plowed over" Hardball's timeslot.

Unbelievable, the lack of taste in this remark.  On air, he just read a message "from a friend" who asked Brian "can we crank up the Manhattan Project again?" 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, represent said:

First of all, who the hell cares about a VP pick at a time like this?

Especially since it's all speculation at this point. Not news.

The thing is, even under normal circumstances, one wouldn't say "plowed over" when referring to taking over someone else's time slot.  It's just a weird thing to say anyway.  He needs to just go.

• Love 4
(edited)

And this from our local paper -- confirming his tasteless choice of words (not that we needed more proof):

seattletimes.png

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

I saw the term 'plowed' used several times almost as soon as it hit the news in my news alert feed.  So he had to have seen it if he perused any of the breaking headlines that were online in seconds after the horror being reported.

He really is showing how bad he really is, isn't he?  I know it sounds smug but I never liked him.  I used to hate his interviews on The Daily Show because the way Jon treated him seemed to me to tap into his self-absorbed attitude and ego and all the while Jon gave him what he wanted all I could think was what an empty phony suit he was.

Point is, I never watched him do the evening news on NBC.  I saw him several times when he would rush to whatever was the big story and push aside the more seasoned and knowledgeable on the scene correspondent and act like he was the expert and because it wasn't a big enough story to completely dominate the network, it would be aired on MSNBC.   That was before he was caught in a five alarm fire in his pants.  So why are they doing this?  It is not like his presence is saving the network money.  My understanding was once they came to any kind of deal, he was getting his contract unless the network brought suit against him.  And I suspect that was a can of worms NBC did not want opened.  Imagine if they had fired him and pursued legal action to not have to pay the remainder of his contract?  Think of all the money they would then have to spend to lock their news division up with Scarborough's fantasy stories about highly placed Democrats that support Drumpf.  And Scarborough's stories about all his highly placed Democratic friends in the diplomatic corps that hate President Obama?  Or all his other tall tales that only serve to show how right he was.  Well how delusional he is and how his imagination solely seems to exist to fluff his own ego.

But Williams is so bad.   Rachel can be facts oriented, but she also is steady and even can be quick when covering the breaking political story.  And she actually has done some good old fashioned anchoring when a breaking story hits during her show.  the real kind of anchoring.  Where the anchor lets the reporter on the scene tell the story as it unfolds.  Not tries to get there to be on the scene as well simply to be more in the camera. 

But what is the point?  I figured if they brought him back he would do a mid day show like Andrea Mitchell.  Not spread him out over the entire network and give it a stale musty smell of a suit you forgot to take to the dry cleaners and shoved to the back of your closet -- a combination of Brut, gin, the lingering smell of the happy hour snacks buffet at the nearby Hyatt and regret.  He cannot do on the cuff breaking news stories.  So why do they keep putting him there?    How often did he actually break a story when he was anchor?  So why in the face of his inability to transition a story as it moves and changes -- his stupid hand offs during the primary coverage for instance -- do they keep pulling him in?  In the long run for the credibility of the network it is cheaper to have him sit at home and wait for the next google alert he has set for his own name?

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

Not spread him out over the entire network and give it a stale musty smell of a suit you forgot to take to the dry cleaners and shoved to the back of your closet -- a combination of Brut, gin, the lingering smell of the happy hour snacks buffet at the nearby Hyatt and regret. 

Excuse me while I put some violet water on my hankie and sniff it to get that scent out of my nose!  Oh, wait, it's back on the air! 

• Love 3