Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, realdancemom said:

The dances that I thought needed more ballroom content was her foxtrot and rumba.  I'm hoping that Val will add more content now that her tour is over.  I don't think she's overscored in comparison to others because I do think she's the best performer overall.  Rashad had the best performance last week but through the whole season, I think it's Normani. 

Normal gets the hype but All of her dances lack content including that way over scored Paso. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, realdancemom said:

The dances that I thought needed more ballroom content was her foxtrot and rumba.  I'm hoping that Val will add more content now that her tour is over.  I don't think she's overscored in comparison to others because I do think she's the best performer overall.  Rashad had the best performance last week but through the whole season, I think it's Normani. 

Surprised people are worried about this now?  This is nothing new for Val.  At least Normani's not "mucking" around like Val normally has his celebs do.  Remember, Derek started the "unrecognizable" dance routines.  People called him a great choreographer.  Derek would constantly end up near the top.  Same thing is happening for Val.

For what DWTS is, I don't think Normani's being overscored either.

• Love 1

The one thing I complained about for Normani is that there's too much spectacle, not enough plain dance content. Every routine has some other element that is distracting from Normani. Last week was her band members. This week, for me, it was pretty much everything, although at least she got 30 seconds of PD that she did well. Now, next week, I hope she has a more simple routine, so we can really see her dance and not having a troupe, or props, or other people getting in the way. 

I might agree that she was slightly overscored. Three 10s was probably not necessary. One 10, maybe two would have been just fine. But I guess because she performed it well and did great on the dance that she was given, then that's why they scored high. Thank god for Len from keeping it from being a perfect score. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I might agree that she was slightly overscored. Three 10s was probably not necessary. One 10, maybe two would have been just fine. But I guess because she performed it well and did great on the dance that she was given, then that's why they scored high. Thank god for Len from keeping it from being a perfect score. 

I thought she had a terrible dance. She was falling out of turns, there were far too many kicks that's not even Paso Doble.  The first 30 seconds were good, we saw Paso Doble,  after that, it was a hot mess 

6 hours ago, crossover said:

Surprised people are worried about this now?  This is nothing new for Val.  At least Normani's not "mucking" around like Val normally has his celebs do.  Remember, Derek started the "unrecognizable" dance routines.  People called him a great choreographer.  Derek would constantly end up near the top.  Same thing is happening for Val.

For what DWTS is, I don't think Normani's being overscored either.

It's because I think Normani is capable of more.  I posted my original comment before this week's dances and she was finishing her tour.  Now that her tour is over, she has more time to learn ballroom technique.

I thought there was a thread for The Troupe - looked but couldn't find.

Anyway, interesting Facebook chat with Alan (after Monday's show) by ET talking about his time with Heather, who choreographed which dances, fan questions etc.   He also made an interesting comment about working with Marilu last season.  He handled the "choreography process" and the "teaching process" (how that differs from "choreography" and "teaching" I don't know).  From what I gather, Derek just stepped in for the actual dance.  Maybe that explains why she always looked...I don't want to say uncomfortable...maybe ill at ease?  Her relationship would have built with Alan.  I dunno.  Anyway, interesting interview but turn up your volume - it's very hard to hear.

Edited by Uke

I really like Alan, he seems easy going. Glad he enjoyed the little last of being a pro so much. I also like the clear distinctions he made between him and Maks in rehearsals and with the choreography. Will be interesting to see how the show plays Heather switching back partners again and how the audience reacts. People really seemed to warm to her and Alan.

• Love 3

http://people.com/tv/find-out-why-backstreet-boys-nick-carter-one-direction-dwts/

Backstreet’s back!

PEOPLE can exclusively reveal that Monday’s Dancing with the Stars will feature iconic songs from famous girl groups and boy bands and Backstreet Boys’ own Nick Carter will be sliding into the guest judge’s seat. Audiences will also see the return of pro-dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who has been sidelined following his calf injury.

That’s not the only surprise: It’s Team Dances with men vs. women!

The boy band — Bonner Bolton, Nick Viall, David Ross and Rashad Jennings— will dance to a medley of “Dancing Machine” by Jackson 5, “You Got It (The Right Stuff)” by New Kids on the Block and “Best Song Ever” by One Direction.

As for the girl band, consisting of Simone Biles, Nancy Kerrigan, Normani Kordei and Heather Morris, they will be dancing to a medley of “My Boyfriend’s Back” by The Chiffons, “No Scrubs” by TLC and “BO$$” by Fifth Harmony.

As for who is dancing to what, see below for Monday’s pairings: 

Simone Biles & Sasha Farber – Samba – “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

Bonner Bolton & Sharna Burgess – Rumba – “I Want It That Way” by Backstreet Boys

Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater – Tango – “Reach Out, I’ll Be There” by The Four Tops

Nancy Kerrigan & Artem Chigvintsev – Paso Doblé – “Free Your Mind” by En Vogue

Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – Salsa – “When I Grow Up” by The Pussycat Dolls

Heather Morris & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Rumba – “Waterfalls” by TLC

David Ross & Lindsay Arnold – Argentine Tango – “I Want You Back” by *NSYNC

Nick Viall & Peta Murgatroyd – Jive – “Fun, Fun, Fun” by The Beach Boys

Dancing with the Stars airs Mondays (8 p.m. ET) on ABC.

Nancy Kerrigan & Artem Chigvintsev – Paso Doblé – “Free Your Mind” by En Vogue

What? No! Does the show hate Nancy? Because I didn't think they hated her but that certainly looks like sabotage to me. When I think of iconic DWTS dances, "Free Your Mind" Paso is right near the top. It's been years and I can still remember it right down to Mel B's little bobble. No matter what Artem comes up with, that's going to be the instant comparison, especially since the show is going to be hyping Maks' return to the ballroom the same night. I just cannot believe that Nancy and Artem have had that assigned to them while everyone else gets to work with a clean slate. That is some fuckery and it's a shame because everything else about this night seems like so much fun.

• Love 1

When I think of iconic DWTS dances, "Free Your Mind" Paso is right near the top. It's been years and I can still remember it right down to Mel B's little bobble. No matter what Artem comes up with, that's going to be the instant comparison, especially since the show is going to be hyping Maks' return to the ballroom the same night.

Everything here.  I was like "Didn't they do that already as a paso?---Aw HELL, NO."  It's in my top 5 dances ever on this show!  Hell I would have settled for a Spice Girls song!  (I guess that didn't get pass clearance, which makes me more sad.)

Meanwhile I Want It That Way is probably my favourite boy band song of all time.  Who actually thinks that's a rumba when the lyrics don't make any sense?

35 minutes ago, vibeology said:

What? No! Does the show hate Nancy? Because I didn't think they hated her but that certainly looks like sabotage to me. When I think of iconic DWTS dances, "Free Your Mind" Paso is right near the top. It's been years and I can still remember it right down to Mel B's little bobble. No matter what Artem comes up with, that's going to be the instant comparison, especially since the show is going to be hyping Maks' return to the ballroom the same night. I just cannot believe that Nancy and Artem have had that assigned to them while everyone else gets to work with a clean slate. That is some fuckery and it's a shame because everything else about this night seems like so much fun.

I still watch it occasionally.  It is my favorite DWTS dance ever. Evah!

Mel did not make the same mistake on the encore and I kind of missed it.

• Love 2

It sounds like I'll need to go find that dance, then! But I'm going to wait until after Monday, so I'm not instantly comparing it!

Why did Bonner have to get my top boy band song ever, and my one of my top ten favourite songs ever? As for the other songs, Nick has a Beach Boys song, so that's going to be an instant point in his favor.

I actually have grown to dislike The Pussycat Dolls songs, but that song Normani's dancing to IS quite catchy.

Actually, the only song I don't think I've heard of is Rashad's song. I'll have to look it up to see if it sounds familiar.

Also, I'm rolling my eyes at the Team Girls doing a Fifth Harmony song. Isn't that sort of cheap? Also dislike most of those song choices for both teams.

26 minutes ago, TroopinFairy said:

Nick Carter will be a guest judge on Monday's show. I love Nick but, I hate guest judges. They usually don't bring anything and are just there for effect.

I think four judges are too many. Five is ridiculous.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I think four judges are too many. Five is ridiculous.

Maybe he will be sitting in for CA.  I know, I know, no need to shoot that down.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

It sounds like I'll need to go find 

Also, I'm rolling my eyes at the Team Girls doing a Fifth Harmony song. Isn't that sort of cheap? Also dislike most of those song choices for both teams.

Are we going to act like no other contestants have done their own songs ? 

12 minutes ago, Sstt said:

Hell, I don't think there's been a singer to appear on the show who didn't dance to their own song at least once. Nick did it twice during his season - Most Memorable Week and for his freestyle. 

14 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Hell, I don't think there's been a singer to appear on the show who didn't dance to their own song at least once. Nick did it twice during his season - Most Memorable Week and for his freestyle. 

I guess so. I forgot about Nick's two songs from his own band. I'll admit I had been annoyed when I watched both of those dances as well. I guess I didn't know how common it was, but I think it's not my style. 

24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Has any other contestant danced to one of their own songs while their group sings it? Nick never had the rest of BSB on stage with him.

This is the second time Normani will be dancing to one of her songs in six weeks/seven dances. As far a I'm concerned, she's out of Fifth Harmony goodwill and I'll be annoyed if they use another  of their songs.

• Love 2

Yes, contestants have danced to their own songs but has any contestant had to dance to their competitor's song? I don't think so. But now Nancy,  Simone and Heather will have to dance to Normani's song.  That's just rude IMO.  I can't recall any group or team dance using a contestant's song.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, McManda said:

Has any other contestant danced to one of their own songs while their group sings it? Nick never had the rest of BSB on stage with him.

This is the second time Normani will be dancing to one of her songs in six weeks/seven dances. As far a I'm concerned, she's out of Fifth Harmony goodwill and I'll be annoyed if they use another  of their songs.

I didn't make the comment you quoted, just fyi. 

1 hour ago, McManda said:

Impossible wasn't a fifth harmony song 

1 hour ago, Uke said:

Yes, contestants have danced to their own songs but has any contestant had to dance to their competitor's song? I don't think so. But now Nancy,  Simone and Heather will have to dance to Normani's song.  That's just rude IMO.  I can't recall any group or team dance using a contestant's song.

Fifth harmony are the female one direction... who would they have used ?

Edited by Sstt
7 minutes ago, Sstt said:

My mistake. The point still stands - I'm done with the show pushing Fifth Harmony. Mel B didn't have a Spice Girls reunion, Lance Bass and Joey Fatone didn't call up the rest of N'Sync, and Nick Carter didn't enlist the help of the Backstreet Boys.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sstt said:

I think the point that was trying to be made was that they still had her group come on and sing during her dance two weeks ago, and now they'll be performing one of their songs. Also, I can't quite remember, but wasn't Impossible their first group audition song? 

8 minutes ago, Sstt said:

It's not like there are a shortage of girl groups. Just like they didn't need to use One Direction for the boy bands. I see what they were going with (choosing the most famous girl group of the 2010s, much like they chose the most famous boy band of 2010s), but the producers actively made that choice. They had plenty of other options that could have had this Fifth Harmony thing avoided. Personally, I will wait to see how it goes, but I'm not all that happy with the choice right now. I am open to changing my mind on Monday night, but I'm a little uneasy about the entire thing. I don't know how to fully explain why I'm uneasy.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, McManda said:

My mistake. The point still stands - I'm done with the show pushing Fifth Harmony. Mel B didn't have a Spice Girls reunion, Lance Bass and Joey Fatone didn't call up the rest of N'Sync, and Nick Carter didn't enlist the help of the Backstreet Boys.

It's the producers doing ,they trying to get popular with the younger crowd .i don't like it too and I know a bunch of fifth harmony fans that are tired of it also. I feel like it more sabotage than helping her honestly 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I haven't seen anything for certain. She may handle the show and the tour. Five judges would be too much.

She has said she plans to fly back for all shows but one or two? I'm not sure which ones though, next week might be one of them.

2 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

She has said she plans to fly back for all shows but one or two? I'm not sure which ones though, next week might be one of them.

The bottom of that press release (after the list of dances) looks the same every week. I think they're used to just changing the week from third to fourth to fifth etc.  Probably just a mistake and whoever edits these forgot to take out Julianne's name and Nick is sitting in for her this week.

I'm more so interested in how the girl group routine will look. Pretty sure the judges are going to praise whatever the boys do so I don't really care about that. The girls are my dream top four. Two of the songs No Scubs and the Fifth Harmony song are so hip hop and you have Heather a hip hop dancer and Normani who is a good dancer and has done choreography to one of the songs. So it would seem a natural direction to go hip hop but I don't know if that would be fair to Nancy or maybe she can pull it off who knows. Plus I don't think any of the male pros are good with that style of dance. The girls group should far and away slay this dance it will come down to the choreography.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

I'm more so interested in how the girl group routine will look. Pretty sure the judges are going to praise whatever the boys do so I don't really care about that. The girls are my dream top four. Two of the songs No Scubs and the Fifth Harmony song are so hip hop and you have Heather a hip hop dancer and Normani who is a good dancer and has done choreography to one of the songs. So it would seem a natural direction to go hip hop but I don't know if that would be fair to Nancy or maybe she can pull it off who knows. Plus I don't think any of the male pros are good with that style of dance. The girls group should far and away slay this dance it will come down to the choreography.

They should, and I am excited for their dance, regardless of my feelings about the choice in song. I mean, the Boy Band group has Bonner and David as the weak links, so I don't know how well their team will fare. I do believe the judges will be incredibly too lenient on them, so I am preparing myself for them to be judged on likability and charisma, rather on dancing skills. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sstt said:

Any female group past or present, doesn't matter, there's plenty to choose from so long as 3 aren't dancing to the music of their competition.   Not sure what the significance is of Fifth Harmony being the "female one direction".

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3

The problem is the judges will likely score simple choreography that is nailed higher compared to harder choreography that goes slightly wrong. That's why for me the boys have an advantage. They'll get away with whatever they do and be scored high whereas the girls will be expected to crush it and any little mess up will be probably cost them the team dance. I hope they pull off something great because that team of four has the potential to create one of the best team dances seen on the show. I hope to be wowed on the night.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

The problem is the judges will likely score simple choreography that is nailed higher compared to harder choreography that goes slightly wrong. That's why for me the boys have an advantage. They'll get away with whatever they do and be scored high whereas the girls will be expected to crush it and any little mess up will be probably cost them the team dance. I hope they pull off something great because that team of four has the potential to create one of the best team dances seen on the show. I hope to be wowed on the night.

Agree. It will be the same thing Len said about Heather, it's all about expectations. I think the boys team has the better choreographers so that will be an advantage for them as well.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Uke said:

Any female group past or present, doesn't matter, there's plenty to choose from so long as 3 aren't dancing to the music of their competition.   Not sure what the significance is of Fifth Harmony being the "female one direction".

The boy group got one direction. The producers are trying to do each era . They went with one direction for the 10s era so who would u have put off the girl group 10s era.

What a joke, the "boys" will take off their shirts and shimmy, and Carrie Anne and Julianne will give them 10s. The women will actually dance and get 8s.

This has to be the dumbest theme they've ever done, with the exception of prom night.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

What a joke, the "boys" will take off their shirts and shimmy, and Carrie Anne and Julianne will give them 10s. The women will actually dance and get 8s.

This has to be the dumbest theme they've ever done, with the exception of prom night.

I have yet to see Girl Band choreography that doesn't rely on bump and grind. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Vanilla Ice's first dance last season was to "Ice Ice Baby." Wanya Morris danced to "Motownphilly." Heck, this season alone Erika and Charo danced to one of their own songs.

Since others are speculating as to an agenda in using a boys vs girls theme, here's my conspiracy theory:  the 4 women are splitting, say, 70% of the audience votes between them.  The show hopes to influence outcomes so that at least one man ends up in the final 3.  If they split them into girls vs boys teams, yes, the judges can underscore the girls' team (using whatever line of BS they come up with to justify that).  They can also give a harsher critique to at least one of the women in direct comparison to the other women.  The hoped-for outome would be, not only to weight the next elimination with the lower judges' scores for the girls' team, but cause the audience to vote less for whichever girl's individual routine merited the harshest judges' critique in the team event.   The hoped-for results would be for one of the women to be a "surprise" boot in the next week's elimination.  That would leave just one more woman to manipulate out of the running in the next few weeks so that one of the men can be in the final 3. 

Edited by SnarkyTart
typo
36 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

Since others are speculating as to an agenda in using a boys vs girls theme, here's my conspiracy theory:  the 4 women are splitting, say, 70% of the audience votes between them.  The show hopes to influence outcomes so that at least one man ends up in the final 3.  If they split them into girls vs boys teams, yes, the judges can underscore the girls' team (using whatever line of BS they come up with to justify that).  They can also give a harsher critique to at least one of the women in direct comparison to the other women.  The hoped-for outome would be, not only to weight the next elimination with the lower judges' scores for the girls' team, but cause the audience to vote less for whichever girl's individual routine merited the harshest judges' critique in the team event.   The hoped-for results would be for one of the women to be a "surprise" boot in the next week's elimination.  That would leave just one more woman to manipulate out of the running in the next few weeks so that one of the men can be in the final 3. 

I don't think there's any doubt Rashad is already headed for the final 3.

1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

Since others are speculating as to an agenda in using a boys vs girls theme, here's my conspiracy theory:  the 4 women are splitting, say, 70% of the audience votes between them.  

70%?  It seems to me David is getting a huge fan vote, and Rashad is kicking ass and taking names. And we don't know the depth of the Bachelor vote, or Bonner.  The girls could actually be splitting their audience much more finely. This week will tell the story about who has the support.  If we look at past team dances, it was the precise formations that got maximum scores. They might recognize the funny but that doesn't give them the scores.   So, even though the Boys may have fun, it's conceivable that they will get the dressing down for not being co-ordinated.  Not saying it won't happen, but past shows sort of point to the better technique as favored. 

• Love 1