Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

I never really thought Zamata was all that funny. She may be great at standup, maybe improv (?), but on SNL she just didn't work, at least for me. One time I remember thinking she was funny was where she played a teen girl doing a vlog, I believe. But other than that, something just fell flat. From the article:

Zamata didn’t have the raw personality that catapulted Jones, nor was she ever the true chameleon that Rudolph was. She didn’t develop any memorable characters and her impressions of black celebrities, like Taraji P. Henson and Rihanna, didn’t go beyond the level of caricature. A great sketch actor just needs to be funny in a scene and facilitate other people being funny at the same time. A great SNL cast member has to do all this, but they also have to be exceptional and unique individuals at the same time.

Seems like the author is agreeing with me.

• Love 1

Short article from Emmy magazine: 'Meet the SNL makeup ace behind one of the season’s most startling transformations.'

... To concoct Spicer, Zakarian settled on barely-there eyebrows, a bald cap to simulate his receding hairline and some eye bags (those were McCarthy’s idea). “Because Spicer’s got this funkiness going on underneath his eyes.” 

As he affixed elements, he watched McCarthy “morphing into this character,” he says, and aping the angry, perturbed faces that Spicer has become known for. Polishing off with some ruddiness, frown lines and the wig, he says, “We pulled away the cape, and she just embodied that character.”

• Love 1
On 5/31/2017 at 4:49 PM, peeayebee said:

I never really thought Zamata was all that funny. She may be great at standup, maybe improv (?), but on SNL she just didn't work, at least for me. One time I remember thinking she was funny was where she played a teen girl doing a vlog, I believe. But other than that, something just fell flat.

I always liked her, but it seems she never found her "thing," whatever that is, to become memorable on SNL. That's a shame. I liked her vlog sketch, but I also liked her in other roles, which were all smaller roles--Drake's aunt at his Bar Mitzvah, recurring characters on game shows, etc. 

I wish her luck in her career. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Emmy noms are out and SNL cleaned up - Alec nominated in the Supporting Actor category; Kate, Leslie, and Vanessa (!!!) in the Supporting Actress category, Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy in the Guest Actress category, and Lin Manual Miranda, Dave Chappelle, and Tom Hanks in the Guest Actor category. They also snagged best writing for a variety series and best sketch series nominations.

ETA - Missed this the first time around. Chance the Rapper & Kenan also got nominated for "Jingle Barack" from the Casey Affleck episode.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Tied for the most noms of any show at 22. Wow. I realize some of it is a shot at Trump, but still.  What a day to be a SNL fan!  It is the  supporting actress category that gets me with half the nominees. Thrilled for both Leslie and Vanessa. 

• Love 7
On 7/13/2017 at 4:10 PM, vb68 said:

Tied for the most noms of any show at 22. Wow. I realize some of it is a shot at Trump, but still.  What a day to be a SNL fan!  It is the  supporting actress category that gets me with half the nominees. Thrilled for both Leslie and Vanessa. 

Right? I saw that and was like...wait, half the nominees in this category are for one show? Is that even allowed?

I'll be happy if it's any of them! Especially because from what I remember they're not up against anyone else I'm really pulling for (my beloved Ellie Kemper is of course in the lead actress category).

• Love 1
On 7/22/2017 at 10:40 AM, dbro said:

Spicer for guest host or at least a cameo! 

Reno/Farrell, Palin/Fey, Spicer/McCarthy?

My vote for Spicer on SNL: no way, for several reasons. For one thing, Spicer's just not funny-on purpose, anyway-unless Melissa McCarthy's playing him.  

Spicer also seems to take himself way too seriously. He doesn't seem to have the guts to mock himself, let alone his future ex-boss.

Given the success of SNL over the last two years, having Spicer on would be seen by many as a reward for his mistakes, not a punishment.

• Love 6

Here's a sweet little goodbye interview with Vanessa.  I love that she took the activity pack from the "All My Hungry Guys" shorts.  (Bobby made sure she had it, which is also very sweet.)

• Love 3

Sounds good! I never thought Gosling would become a go to host.  Happy to see him come back.  I bet they do another Alien Abduction sketch with Kate that cracked him up so much the first time.

Here's an interesting podcast with Lorne being interviewed about a week ago.  If I have the dates right, sounds like they had cast auditions yesterday on the main stage (aka home base). 

Edited by vb68

Melissa McCarthy and Dave Chappelle won Emmys for hosting their respective episodes tonight. Chappelle was considered a real upset.

The show also won three other technical awards. So it has pretty good momentum going into the main ceremony next weekend. I expect Kate and Alec to win in the supporting races, and for the show to finally win best sketch series. 

• Love 5

In case anyone is curious, here are the episodes the nominated actors submitted:
-Alec submitted the Melissa McCarthy episode
-Vanessa submitted The Rock's episode
-Leslie submitted the Tom Hanks episode
-Kate submitted the Dave Chapelle episode, which is also the episode they chose to submit for Best Variety Sketch series

Vanessa and Kate picked great episodes to showcase themselves; Leslie didn't do a ton in the Tom Hanks episode, but I'm guessing she picked it because she did her piece on internet trolls during WU. For Alec, I'm actually baffled he didn't pick the episode he hosted, especially because his episode was great. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

-Kate submitted the Dave Chapelle episode, which is also the episode they chose to submit for Best Variety Sketch series

Since Chappelle already won, looks like it was probably a smart decision all the way around!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I agree that this is a great sign going into the main ceremony on Sunday. I'm fully expecting (and hoping for) an SNL sweep.

They really don't have much competition in the Variety Sketch category; I like "Documentary Now!" but there's no way that's going to win. The only thing I could maybe see beating it would be "Billy on the Street", but given the wins it's received so far I'm sure SNL will win for Variety Sketch series. 

Writing in a variety series is a little bit more of a toss-up; John Oliver and Samantha Bee's shows are both pretty critically well-acclaimed. (I'm sure one or the other will win for Variety Talk series).

Edited by Phishbulb

I love that the show got so much recognition last night. Four for four in the acting races!

It was also kinda amusing that Lorne lived up to his rep of being rather nonplussed when accepting Best Sketch Series.

• Love 4

We have the first three hosts through October.

A bunch of us had Gal Gadot, and I know Princess Sparkle called Kumail because of The Big Sick.  I'm really looking forward to his show.

Still no word on any new cast members as far as I know.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, vb68 said:

We have the first three hosts through October.

A bunch of us had Gal Gadot, and I know Princess Sparkle called Kumail because of The Big Sick.  I'm really looking forward to his show.

Still no word on any new cast members as far as I know.

*fingers crossed for Wonder Woman vs 45 skit*

• Love 3

I was really nervous when she wasn't announced as the host of the premiere that they weren't going to get Gal, but they came through! I'm so excited. Not just because she's my wife but also because she really shined in the more comedic moments of Wonder Woman. She's gonna be great.

Also looking forward to Kumail and P!nk.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I was really nervous when she wasn't announced as the host of the premiere that they weren't going to get Gal, but they came through! I'm so excited. Not just because she's my wife but also because she really shined in the more comedic moments of Wonder Woman. She's gonna be great.

The first 3 hosts sound very promising. Hopefully, the writers will give them the material they deserve. 

helenamonster: I didn't know your real name is Yaron Versano. ;)

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, helenamonster said:

Oh good, I hadn't seen Wonder Woman and I was hoping she had comedic chops somehow.

• Love 1

Davidson was 7 years old when his firefighter father, Scott, was killed in the terrorist attacks in New York City on September 11, 2001, a loss that he now believes impacted his mental health. "My big thing is trust," Davidson explained. "One day he was here and the next day he was gone."

Holy crap.  I'd had no idea.  Thanks for the link, vb68.

The long-running NBC sketch show has tapped Chris Redd (Disjointed), Heidi Gardner (SuperMansion) and Chicago improv comedian Luke Null to join the cast as featured players, the network announced on Tuesday. They’ll officially make their debut in this Saturday’s season premiere, hosted by Ryan Gosling with musical guest Jay-Z.

From TVLine

wknt3, thanks so much for posting this link. I read Darrell Hammond's book years ago. When I finished it, I thought it was basically a miracle he was still alive and I was struck by how sad I was finding out how troubled he was behind-the-scenes, yet he was able to shift gears and turn it off while performing. He's still one of my favorite SNL alums.