Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Meri Catfished

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Meri Catfished

Season 6, Episode 13

November 15, 2015

The Browns are in Alaska doing activities such as dogsledding and deep-sea fishing, but a pregnant Robyn can't stand the smell of raw fish. Meanwhile, Logan and his girlfriend go on a double date with Madison and her boyfriend, who later asks Kody for a private chat; and Meri admits she's been involved with a man online who isn't who she thought he was.

but a pregnant Robyn can't stand the smell of raw fish.

So many jokes there.

and Meri admits she's been involved with a man online who isn't who she thought he was

Are they going to keep Sam a man or go for the Jackie reveal?

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 5

Of course the 15 minute preview of this episode showed absolutely nothing about the catfishing. The pre-episode preview also just shows the same preview footage we saw before about Meri generally and vaguely alluding to Sam/Jackie. I'm certain they'll just whitewash this, but enjoy a big ratings spike anyway.

• Love 1

I predict the episode will consist of lots of vague references, old footage, and wind up in the last 20 seconds with Meri saying something like "I need to confess that I....".

Cue ominous music, Fade to black. See you next season where absolutely noting else will be said about it because they think we are all so stupid that we won't remember anything about catfishing by then.

• Love 5

I bet the most we'll get out of this episode is Meri admitting that she was lonely and not a single wife or Kody validating that feeling. Kody will get that bewildered yet slightly offended look on his face and make it all about him -- instead of offering support to his "wife."

Cue ominous music, Fade to black. See you next season where absolutely noting else will be said about it because they think we are all so stupid that we won't remember anything about catfishing by then.

Don't forget the bullshit "tell all" interview with Tamara what'shername, where nothing is told.
  • Love 6

I imagine this Catfish story will be all about how this person took advantage of Meri because she was lonely and not mention the fact that she was in essence cheating or planning to do so.  I thought the whole thing about plural family was that they were so much better than the rest of us because they are one big happy family.  How can she be lonely with 3 sister wives, 17 kids she is helping to raise and most of all, a husband.

• Love 12

I imagine this Catfish story will be all about how this person took advantage of Meri because she was lonely and not mention the fact that she was in essence cheating or planning to do so.  I thought the whole thing about plural family was that they were so much better than the rest of us because they are one big happy family.  How can she be lonely with 3 sister wives, 17 kids she is helping to raise and most of all, a husband.

Isolate and alienate yourself, and you're going to be lonely.

• Love 4

So - I won't watch the show or even the previews but it sounds like the entire 15 minute "sneak preview" had little or no mention of the catfish even though it's the title?  please.

why am I even surprised?!?!

BTW I'm beginning to suspect that the whole Sam thing was done purely for the ratings.

• Love 3

I saw a preview or read an article, can't remember, but it says tonight Meridian sits with Kody, Robin, and Janelle for an interview. Why no christine? I could see her being so "hurt" by Meridian she can't be near her or some bull. She'll make this all about her and her hurt for the family. Instead of sympathy and saying maybe we should have been closers and there for Meri when she needed love, attention, or an ear, she'll say it's all about her. And kody. And the family. She drives me nuts. Hopefully she proves me wrong.

• Love 1

During the preview, they were talking about how nice it was for the children that they had multiple mothers.

Janelle said that she thinks that her children may love Christine and Meri more than they love her. I really hope that that is not true.

I'm assuming she doesn't mean literally, just in that way that when you're growing up your mom is SO ANNOYING that you prefer your friends' moms or aunts or whatever other females are around. I'm sure when it comes down to it they love Janelle more, but in the day to day sometimes they prefer a non-Janelle maternal figure, especially as teenagers.

• Love 3

I saw a preview or read an article, can't remember, but it says tonight Meridian sits with Kody, Robin, and Janelle for an interview. Why no christine? I could see her being so "hurt" by Meridian she can't be near her or some bull. She'll make this all about her and her hurt for the family. Instead of sympathy and saying maybe we should have been closers and there for Meri when she needed love, attention, or an ear, she'll say it's all about her. And kody. And the family. She drives me nuts. Hopefully she proves me wrong.

I love the way your phone autocorrected Meri to Meridian and Robyn to Robin.
  • Love 2

Interesting if the first conversation about the Catfish Affair was really at that restaurant table. I think Robyn and Christine had an inkling. Not sure about Janelle or Kody.

Moral of the table conversation = Janelle, Meri's biggest foe, has her back. Christine is wishy washy. Kody is silent (I think he doesn't understand that she's miserable and wants out - bc why would anyone not be thrilled to take the crumbs of His Highness).

Robyn might as well have told her "Bye, Felicia. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. Peace out, homie."

• Love 17

I found it interesting that when Caleb asked for privacy to speak with Kody, it was both of Robyn's daughters that were with him.  I can't help but wonder how his biological daughters feel when they see their father spending so much time with his step-daughters, while barely acknowledging their existence.

I don't believe Meri was being totally honest.  I have a feeling she was lying by omission.

• Love 16

Kody didn't speak at all at the table. Meri never said Kody. It was so weird. She was worried about the family, and what to do, but she never showed a bit of concern about her relationship with Kody. At all. She never said it. And his silence spoke volumes. He knows he screwed up. He knows he abandoned her. He knows he failed her as abandoned husband. Janelle seems sincere. Robyn even seemed sincere. Like someone said "bye felicia. But at least do us a solid and keep us posted on if you are alive or not." Christine, to me, had a fake concern. More of a make up your mind, and tell me all the details concern. Kody said it best, he didn't say anything because he's afraid if he does, it'll all fall on him. Yes she's all grown woman who was ready to cheat on her sposuse, but she was also emotionally abandoned in a time where she needed her spouse the most and he clearly didn't care. She screwed up. But I give Kody a lot of blame. He only used her to procreate and when the kid was gone so was he. Sad.

• Love 16

Well, they were more forthcoming than I expected.  I actually feel a bit sorry for Meri.  The woman is depressed and made some bad decisions.  What is sad is that Kody doesn't seem to think he can or should do anything for her.  No responsibility whatsoever.  

• Love 15

According to the catfish blog he! And Meri were still in contact and "together" when she was in Alaska. The restaurant conversation was about Meri not being happy and maybe wanting to leave. There must have been a lot of this talk before that meal because the others were all "send us a postcard so we know where to send your mail"

Kody wasn't talking but I'm sure his mouthpiece Robyn was speaking for him and she seemed unconcerned, to say the least.

• Love 7

Ouch! Janelle made the comment that her kids can feel closer to Christine and Meri than her a lot of times.  They didn't show Robyn's reaction, but I would have liked to have seen it.

I think Meri would never have found herself in the position of being catfished if she had felt fulfilled in her relationship with Kody, and damn it, he just sat there.  He said nothing at the table.  He said absolutely nothing when Meri really needed him to say, "I love you, and you belong with me, and I don't want you to go anywhere.  I want to be here for you."  Way to drive her away even further, Kody. 

Christine and Janelle are completely confused and think it all completely relates to Mariah. 

Haha! Caleb says Kody doesn't intimidate him AT ALL. 

• Love 13

I found it interesting that when Caleb asked for privacy to speak with Kody, it was both of Robyn's daughters that were with him.  I can't help but wonder how his biological daughters feel when they see their father spending so much time with his step-daughters, while barely acknowledging their existence.

I don't believe Meri was being totally honest.  I have a feeling she was lying by omission.

I suspect they don't like the attention he gives Robyn's daughters, but at the same time, he's been so dismissive to them, that they really don't want his attention now anyway. 

I think Meri was wanting them to beg her to stay and repent of how sorry they were for not bowing at her feet, but instead, they're all ready for her to leave. I also wonder how much she'd revealed to them about Catfish when she was teasing them at the table about leaving.

She was so dramatic, I half expected Meri hold a butter knife to her jugular vein and weep that she was going to end it right there, if they didn't tell her how much she was needed.

• Love 8

According to the catfish blog he! And Meri were still in contact and "together" when she was in Alaska. The restaurant conversation was about Meri not being happy and maybe wanting to leave.

Oh...So Meri was just setting up a possible ditching the family by telling them she was confused and going to go off at some point, possibly plotting to be with "Sam"? That liar.  I am confused...So were her talking heads filmed post-catfish, and the Alaska dinner was mid-catfish?  Is that why she couldn't look at Kody, because she was plotting to leave with another "man"?

• Love 7

Did I miss something while they were at the table?  Did she actually say anything about him/her??  All I heard was she was confused, she thought she might need to leave for awhile, go back to work or school.  In her TH she confessed to the viewers but did she say anything about it at the table??

• Love 7
Did I miss something while they were at the table?  Did she actually say anything about him/her??  All I heard was she was confused, she thought she might need to leave for awhile, go back to work or school.  In her TH she confessed to the viewers but did she say anything about it at the table??

No. She never said anything about the catfish, so I don't think she was telling the entire truth. 

• Love 7

Well now I see why Meri was in such a good mood on the Alaska trip.  She was still with 'Sam' and was going to announce her decision to leave and be with him.  I don't like how they interspersed the Meri confessionals with that restaurant scene, because it makes you think that at that point in time, she already knew she was getting catfished.  But if you listen closely, that didn't come until afterwards.  

Obviously I'm in the minority, but I felt bad for Kody.  I feel like she should have talked to him one-on-one first, and THEN the other wives.  She wouldn't even look at him during the conversation.  And whatever she or I or anyone else thinks of Kody, if that's her husband and she's having an emotional affair and planning to leave, he deserves to have her tell him to his face one-on-one.  

I'll be curious to see the wives' comments AFTER they know what was really going down.  I get them being supportive during this restaurant scene, when all they knew was that she was struggling with "stuff".  But once they find out she was having the relationship with Sam - I really wonder what they will think of her and say about her.  Of course they'll probably just put on a united front and put all the blame on the catfisher - I wish they would be real about it.  

I'm just surprised at how the public is so supportive of Meri in this situation.  I mean if it was Kody having an emotional affair, he'd be crucified.  It's interesting to me that when it's the woman, she's getting a lot of sympathy.  Not that the catfisher is innocent, but still.     

• Love 12

According to the catfish blog he! And Meri were still in contact and "together" when she was in Alaska. The restaurant conversation was about Meri not being happy and maybe wanting to leave. There must have been a lot of this talk before that meal because the others were all "send us a postcard so we know where to send your mail"

Kody wasn't talking but I'm sure his mouthpiece Robyn was speaking for him and she seemed unconcerned, to say the least.

I think you're right. I think the table conversation happened before the catfisher was unmasked. It changes how I feel about that conversation. At first, I was feeling very sorry for Meri. Dealing with a threatening person all alone, and pulling back from the family, to protect them. And they sit there and say, whatever, Meri. Figure it out and let us know where you end up.

But if this conversation happened while Meri was still contemplating meeting "him"....and nothing scary had happened yet, I can see the sister wives' reactions being better. Janelle had some sympathy for the lonlieness. Christine immediately goes into problem solving mode, just try SOMETHING, and we'll support you. It was weird that Christine was the voice of common sense....

• Love 5

Oh...So Meri was just setting up a possible ditching the family by telling them she was confused and going to go off at some point, possibly plotting to be with "Sam"? That liar.  I am confused...So were her talking heads filmed post-catfish, and the Alaska dinner was mid-catfish?  Is that why she couldn't look at Kody, because she was plotting to leave with another "man"?

According to "Sam," Meri had plans to leave with him after the Alaska trip. She was dropping hints at the dinner, so viewers wouldn't be surprised when she left between seasons.

• Love 8

Meri never mentioned the affair with "Sam" at the table with the family.  She didn't know yet that she was being catfished.  She talked about not knowing what she wanted to do and needing some time away, but that was the extent of it.  It was all very vague and general.  I think when she went on about "protecting the family" in her talking heads it meant she didn't want to spoil their happiness by telling them the truth about why she wanted time away.  She mentioned being afraid of how they would feel about her if she told them the entire truth, which is probably the real reason, not protecting them from anything.  Those talking heads with her were obviously filmed after the Catfish affair came out while the other segments were before.  The season would have ended with Meri not being sure what she wanted and Kody being confused but nothing more if that scandal had not broken in the press.

I am very angry at Kod-asshole's reaction to Meri.  He just sat there like he's afraid to ask her what's going on more specifically because he's afraid she'll point the finger at him.  Well, asshole, don't you think if you are so concerned with her feelings maybe you should put your freaking huge ego aside for ONCE?  My blood boils thinking about him.  He obviously couldn't care less if Meri up and leaves - It's just one less woman and one less "complication" to interfere with his little kingdom of happiness where everything goes his way.  In fact, even though the women expressed concern about Meri and told her they would be supportive, that may be true on the surface but underneath their body language said to me, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".  I can't feel 100% sorry for Meri as she is not without responsibility in their feelings towards her.  The one person who I can blame 100% is Robyn, who never had baggage with Meri but doesn't see her role in why Meri is feeling the way she does.  Or if she does she probably wouldn't care anyway.  Everyone in that family acts like they care so much for everyone else's feelings, meanwhile they just sit by passively and saying in a detached way, "Well, let us know what you want to do".  Instead of saying, "We are sorry for making you feel left out and want to include you more".  Not that this would help after all this anyway.  But Kodouche of all people should take her aside and talk to her one on one that way.  But I think he's the one who was over her first and she is reacting to that.  I think that's the main issue here, really.  What's more for him to say?  He's the one who dumped her.  Meri feels lonely because her "husband" dumped her, and not just dumped her, but replaced her position in the family.  Kody's face at the table showed me he knows he's responsible.  And asshole that he is, he doesn't want to take that responsibility.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 23

When in time was the Alaska Trip?  At the time the dinner was filmed did she still think the catfish was a man?  was she planning to leave and be with him?  I realize the talking heads are filmed way after, so I think if catfish had been real she was otta there.  Could Robyn be less concerned about Meri leaving?

Yes - the catfish (before tonight) posted about what Meri had said during the restaurant convo (i.e. the part about maybe getting a job or going camping alone for a week, etc.) - so she was definitely still together with 'Sam' during this vacation and at least for a little bit afterwards.  She had filled in Sam/Jackie about the details of the restaurant convo after it had been filmed, but before they "broke up" 

• Love 2

Meri opted to be alone in the first place. She cut herself off by demanding her own home, knowing that her daughter would soon be off to school then finding her own life. If it was all so fine and dandy being polygamous, she could have been in an attachment to another sister wives home and been more participating in the family. The allegiances were cards on the table at the restaurant. I swear I could hear Robyn thinking "one down, two to go."

• Love 15

I'll be curious to see the wives' comments AFTER they know what was really going down.  I get them being supportive during this restaurant scene, when all they knew was that she was struggling with "stuff".  But once they find out she was having the relationship with Sam - I really wonder what they will think of her and say about her.  Of course they'll probably just put on a united front and put all the blame on the catfisher - I wish they would be real about it.  

I'm just surprised at how the public is so supportive of Meri in this situation.  I mean if it was Kody having an emotional affair, he'd be crucified.  It's interesting to me that when it's the woman, she's getting a lot of sympathy.  Not that the catfisher is innocent, but still.     

I think the reason people have sympathy for Meri is because it's obvious that Kody dumped her for Robyn in a way and her loneliness is fueled by that - on top of the loneliness she was already feeling with Mariah out of the house and no other children.  She obviously does not have the position in Kody's heart that she used to have - He confides in Robyn now and makes her the "center" of his married world.  I think as "first wife" Meri used to have that position.  Of course, a lot of people would also not have sympathy for her because she once ruled the roost and didn't care how any of the other wives felt about it.

I think you are spot on about how the wives will react once they find out about the Catfish - Outwardly they will put on a united front and of course make it a "we're going to war to protect our family" situation.  Meanwhile underneath they will be seething with contempt for Meri for each of their own separate reasons.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8

I am not usually a fan of Meri...but with the divorce, and Kadouche being enthralled with Sobbyn...I say fly free, Meri....fly free.....

Kody is an asshole...and I truly believe that she gave Kadouche the divorce so he could marry Sobbyn.

I would high tail it out of there.

I also find it odd that all of the other wives but her husband who she gave the divorce to says not a damn thing.

• Love 9

She was just looking for an easy escape. If Meri really wanted out, there's this awesome thing called getting your own life. It starts with getting a job, finding an affordable apartment, etc. This belief that salvation on this earth and the next depends on the man you are with has got to feel like a load of cr@p to Meri... why not start finding real people and real friends in the here and now? Oh right, I forgot. You can't grift your way along for all that much time before they catch on.

• Love 11

Robyn crying about Meri's situation--shut up already! So sick of Robyn. 

Also, I don't know why, but Christine and Robyn talking about Kody and the sled dogs, and calling themselves bitches...I don't know.  I just didn't think it was funny.  I like to think I have a good sense of humor, and I've referred to myself as a bitch from time to time, but for some reason, Christine's analogy I just didn't find funny. 

• Love 15

Meri opted to be alone in the first place. She cut herself off by demanding her own home, knowing that her daughter would soon be off to school then finding her own life. If it was all so fine and dandy being polygamous, she could have been in an attachment to another sister wives home and been more participating in the family. The allegiances were cards on the table at the restaurant. I swear I could hear Robyn thinking "one down, two to go."

I know it looked that way but I have to doubt that any of the other wives would have wanted to share a home with her or have her participate in their family life at home.  We already know Janelle would not have wanted that based on her negative history with Meri.  And Robyn is too all about Robyn and her little love nest with Kody to want Meri around to share the spotlight.  So I think Meri was kind of forced into living alone as much as she appeared to want it.  I sometimes think her demanding the wet bar was to her the way she would contribute to the family in being the place where they could hold get togethers and parties.  But did it really work out that way?  Probably not as much as she would have liked.  They all just retreated more into their own homes without her.

I sometimes think Meri was never cut out for polygamy in the first place and is finally realizing it now, and she feels betrayed by Kody and the rest of the family who go about their own lives but don't seem to care or notice how she is feeling.  They have shut her out as much as she has shut them.  When she announced that she wanted to go back to school, all Robyn could do was get upset because Meri wouldn't be around to help her with "My Sisterwife's Closet".  So they all want her when they want her but when she needs them to understand her, where are they?  Seriously. 

• Love 18

She was just looking for an easy escape. If Meri really wanted out, there's this awesome thing called getting your own life. It starts with getting a job, finding an affordable apartment, etc. This belief that salvation on this earth and the next depends on the man you are with has got to feel like a load of cr@p to Meri... why not start finding real people and real friends in the here and now? Oh right, I forgot. You can't grift your way along for all that much time before they catch on.

The whole husband = salvation thought tract is what makes absolutely no sense to me in terms of Meri's affair.

I don't believe it myself, but I understand their concept that men are the patriarchs, and to reach the highest level of heaven, a man needs to marry at least three women and women have to be called into that level by their husband. Marriage is sacred, family is holy and eternal, etc. What I don't understand, is that if marriage is so sacred and holy, and any physical sexual relationship outside of marriage is sin (punishable by death at some point), then how is it better for Meri to leave her husband for another man, thus committing adultery and prohibiting her from reaching the highest level of heaven anyway.

If marriage is so sacred and holy, then wouldn't she be better off spiritually, within their faith, if she just left on her own, divorced, and then if she found someone later down the road, she'd be free to marry anyway? This makes no sense.

I really did like the older kids explaining how people perceived them as kids of polygamists, especially Maddie saying boys had cheated on her bc they thought she'd be ok with it. I'd watch if we had more of the older kids (sans Meriah) navigating non-polygamous, or even polygamous, lives.

• Love 4

I disagree. I was married to my ex husband for 13 years.....he cheated on me...it was not a celestial marriage but he cheated and ended up marrying her. Thankfully I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and I met my now husband who is also is an ME...although he is way smarter than me ......but I did feel lost...I felt hugely inadeqaute...I had friends, family and an active social life...sometimes the opposite sex is a big douche bag....I wanted an easy escape but I have a job that required 80 hours a week plus I taught at Muhlenberg college....I get the feeling that she was pressured into giving Kadouche the divorce

• Love 8

I agree with you but I am beginning to understand how trapped she felt and unable to fly free unless someone rescued her and made it possible for her to find the strength to climb out of her trap. - Their lifestyle is not one of encouraging independence for women and it's making her too hung up on the guilt of what she is doing to the family, or how she would feel if she left - All those "tapes" playing inside her head about what she should do are keeping her a prisoner in her own mind.  I don't think someone like Robyn would let all that keep her back, but Robyn is a self centered bitch who would go after what she wants no matter what.  Actually I think Meri has more of a heart and is not as self centered as she appears but will let all sides of the equation influence her.  The only way she could actually get up the nerve to leave is if "prince charming" swooped down from the sky and whisked her away.   When someone can take on the role of being the savior who fills all her voids and rescues her from all her heartaches, she can find the strength to leave without looking back.  But it takes all that to get her to do it.  Otherwise without that she would be too paralyzed by guilt and fear to do it, even if leaving would be the right thing to do.

• Love 14

I personally think Meri started planning her escape the second after Kody and Robyn concocted the 'divorce for the chiddren, THE CHIDDREN'. She knew she was being given the semblance of control, but she was really being put out to pasture.

Vilest part is, Robyn knew exactly what she was doing (making herself legal wife and not caring who she hurt), but I honestly think Kody believes he was graciously allowing Meri to remain in his presence, not be the bad guy, and of course, rescuing Robyn and her children.

Kody has a classic case of having a loyal wife, being bored in his marriage, finding another woman he wants to bang, but not wanting to be perceived as the rude, hurtful asshole. He, however, had the polygamy loophole of being able to publicly be in a relationship with his new flame while keeping the other wife (wives). Usually, men in this situation would either have to hide an affair, irritate and isolate the wife into initiating the divorce so he doesn't come off as an asshole, then immediately marrying the mistress.  Polygamy means Kody wins.

• Love 15

Meri is tweeting that Sam made threats against her family. She did what she had to do to protect her family. What does that mean? What is she trying to say?

I think she's making it up. If there are "threats" it's things like 'I'm going to tell them what we talked about' etc. If she physically threatened the Browns they would be able to have her arrested and I think TLC would make sure it was reported to authorities. The fact that she's tweeting vague comments about threats just makes it sound like an attempt to up the sympathy factor 

• Love 14