Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Given the body language we get to see during couch sessions, they seem to barely conceal their hatred of one another.  Kody, on the other hand, has his vapid "duhhhhhhhhhh" look perfected, as he sits there thinking about how it all went wrong...marry four women, prove that he's King Studly McStud, only to have to deal with all those messy and irrational hormones on a daily basis.

• Love 4

The STRIVE website is finally selling stuff.  They have tshirts, workout doodads plus virtual or in person coaching sessions.

If anyone in the fitness biz could take a look at this and see if it's any different from what the infomercial people sell, that would be great.  Obviously I don't know anything about this.  I still don't get what this program actually IS.  

• Love 3

Hmm well I'm a fitness instructor so...

in person or online training sessions for $50 - what kind of training? If in person, is it at a gym?  How long is each session?  Not nearly enough info. 

Accessories and T shirts -just standard shit they had printed up and are selling at a premium.  Pedometers? Seriously? At our health fair at work a couple weeks ago, one of the vendors was giving away pedometers like the one she's peddling for $10. Doesn't everyone have a Fitbit or similar wearable these days?  Even if you don't - iPhones have a pedometer in them as well. 

Just looks like a bunch of overpriced shit to me. 

And that digital sport watch. It screams 1990. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Hmm well I'm a fitness instructor so...

in person or online training sessions for $50 - what kind of training? If in person, is it at a gym?  How long is each session?  Not nearly enough info. 

Accessories and T shirts -just standard shit they had printed up and are selling at a premium.  Pedometers? Seriously? At our health fair at work a couple weeks ago, one of the vendors was giving away pedometers like the one she's peddling for $10. Doesn't everyone have a Fitbit or similar wearable these days?  Even if you don't - iPhones have a pedometer in them as well. 

Just looks like a bunch of overpriced shit to me. 

And that digital sport watch. It screams 1990. 

Thanks for the info.  This is the crap they were selling at the STRIVE event that one lady bought.  You can get most of this at the dollar store.  What IS this program.  

You're right.  Not enough info.

• Love 1

Mexican apple soda! I love that stuff! We called it apple beer when I was little. I think the food is some sort of nacho, like RazzleberryPie said. Little round chips with meat and cheeses. Tony's parents or family must be from deeper in Mexico and have brought non-border food with them. I spent 30 years in a border town and a couple restaurants there served interior food. 

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

To hard to be tomato slices? 

That's what I was thinking they were. That's the part that I couldn't sort out. I'm glad someone else thinks maybe that's thick tomato slices.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think you're right - Janelle used a filter so they look a bit red. 

Fried corn tortillas, not chips. 

It's possible they're simply red corn tortillas. They almost look homemade to me but they're also available at grocery stores.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Maybe it's just me but that doesn't look so amazing.  especially for a bridal shower.  

I guess they are tasty?  The paper plate is throwing me off.  ;)

If they're homemade, they're really good. You just put what you want in them (not sure what's on the ones in the photo). I prefer carne asada myself from the local carniceria:).

• Love 4

The fact that we have umpteen different guesses on what could be does not bode well for it.  Personally they look horrible to me partly because they are unidentifiable.  Factor in the shiny plastic plate and it does not exactly shout classy party.

• Love 3

You can google red tortilla chips and order them online.  I grew up on them in Texas. Not sure why they are red but they are. It is not because they are hot. I prefer the blue myself.

I am wanting to make this dish now. 

A 20-minute mile is not pushing very hard.  And to make it exactly one mile is the sign of someone who is just doing the least amount possible to "qualify" for a workout.

I had a knee replacement less than 6 months ago.  I am going to be 70 next week.  I am overweight.  Even with all that, this report isn't something I'd brag about.

• Love 5

well you guys forced me to look at the rest of Janelle's Insta, and I see she is or was offering a discount on Strive!  but she still doesn't say what you GET.  Personalized workouts?  Pep talks? or just a subscription to a video stream of premade workouts from the trainers who hitched their wagons to Janelle's star?  Because there are a LOT of fitness folk offering this kind of thing.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

A 20-minute mile is not pushing very hard.  And to make it exactly one mile is the sign of someone who is just doing the least amount possible to "qualify" for a workout.

I had a knee replacement less than 6 months ago.  I am going to be 70 next week.  I am overweight.  Even with all that, this report isn't something I'd brag about.

I agree with you, even if she had the treadmill on an 15% incline, that's painfully slow.  My dad is 84 with heart issues and I KNOW he does a mile on the treadmill in less than 20 minutes!!  that's only 3 miles an hour. Of course, that might just be where she's at, fitness level wise.  I hope for her sake that isn't the only cardio she's doing all day.

• Love 1

I am willing to cut Janelle a break.  She is carrying around a lot of extra weight and lately (on the show) she seems to be laboring to walk and you can tell she loses her breath.  It may only be a 20 minute mile, but it's a start. And it's probably more exercise than my fat ass is gonna get today, lol 

It says her heart rate average was 122.  Is that a good number?  Obviously I am no master of workout stats.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
I felt like it, stop nagging me
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I am willing to cut Janelle a break.  She is carrying around a lot of extra weight and lately (on the show) she seems to be laboring to walk and you can tell she loses her breath.  It may only be a 20 minute mile, but it's a start. And it's probably more exercise than my fat ass is gonna get today, lol 

It says her heart rate average was 122.  Is that a good number?  Obviously I am no master of workout stats.

Heart rate is general rule of thumb 220 minus your age.  That's probably a good rate for her.

Just as comparison, my resting heart rate is usually somewhere in the low to mid 40's and my average heart rate during a workout really depends on what kind of workout and the intensity.  Elliptical is usually averaging around 130-135 for me.  I'm about 10 years older than Janelle btw.

• Love 1

I'm thinking it's where she's at right now, & it's great she can make the effort & stay motivated. However, I don't understand a whole website & is she actually selling something based off her, what? Weight loss efforts? That's all she's got to offer & you don't charge people for that. If she does have people behind her who have some expertise what could she possibly make off this venture? The people actually doing the work & offering the knowledge would have to be paid, I'd think...  & eventually if there are others & they get clients, they won't need Janelle to peddle their services for them for long if they're any good.

I would think these people make enough off their stupid show but I really hate how they use it as a springboard to sell people all sorts of crap. This one, to me, is the worst, because she really has nothing to offer.

And what the heck is Kody doing?  Pushing the wives to find all kinds of crap work, it seems.

• Love 3

Well - I see Janelle took down the virtual training sessions and now it's just "in person" limited to Vegas. 

Still nothing about what these sessions entail - length of time per session or what have you. 

I'm guessing the idea is to get trainers to sign up under her brand around the country, then she gets a kickback from any signups. Hmmph.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm guessing the idea is to get trainers to sign up under her brand around the country, then she gets a kickback from any signups. Hmmph.

Could she be trying to build her own Pyramid? 

• Love 2

When I went to the STRIVE event a few weeks ago, there was no explanation at all of the program.  Janelle in person is the same Janelle as the tv Janelle.  Quiet and forgettable.  The only program thing she mentioned was an online special if you signed up.  Signed up for........?  Your guess is as good as mine.

• Love 5

Curiosity got the best of me and I loaded her smoothie recipe into my program for nutritional facts. Assuming it's a 4 portion creation, with apples and kale, it clocks in at 194 calories and 57 carbs. It has 9 grams of protein. As a bigger girl who's trying to lose weight and a diabetic, I watch my carb intake like a hawk. That's almost my entire daily allowance of carbohydrates and would wreck my blood sugar for hours. That plan can't be nearly as great as she thinks it is.

• Love 5

So, watching the last couple of episodes, seeing her wring her hands as she struggles to be present for her daughter's wedding and shower prep, hearing her admit that simply asking Meri about something simple was terrifying to the point of being impossible, seeing evidence that she has failed to  keep up with the simple health goals she set for herself...

What credibility does she bring to this moneymaking scheme? Why should we stive with this sad sack?

• Love 9

As someone who's been into fitness and nutrition for most of my life, I never try to criticize anyone who embarks on a fitness journey (especially a public one!) so I wish Janelle the best and hope she succeeds. But those prices for coaching! Ouch. That's where I'm like, this seems schemey.

Also, in looking at the site is Strive something that is Janelle's creation or is it similar to Shakeology where anyone can get their own personal coaching business? 

Edited by Runnergirl
Forgot part of comment
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Nowhere said:

The title of this thread should be changed.

Seriously.  Jenelle is actually the biggest idiot of the bunch.  Commuting and working for years to give an equal portion of her salary to Meri and her one child.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

What?! I did not know that. Wow. 

Yes, all income (Janelle, Kody) was split evenly between the 3 households -- not based on the amount of children. So, Janelle and Christine received the same amount that Meri. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CofCinci said:

Yes, all income (Janelle, Kody) was split evenly between the 3 households -- not based on the amount of children. So, Janelle and Christine received the same amount that Meri. 

Oh ok! That clears things up. I just asked why Meri gets some of Janelle's income in the "Kody" topic but the question is answered:). I try to pay attention to details but probably missed them explaining that.

And I wonder why Meri doesn't try to reestablish a job as an at-risk youth counselor or something similar. She really seemed to enjoy doing that. Selling Lularoe can't make much money or be as rewarding.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

And I wonder why Meri doesn't try to reestablish a job as an at-risk youth counselor or something similar. She really seemed to enjoy doing that. Selling Lularoe can't make much money or be as rewarding.

There will come a day when she will be solely responsible for the mortgage and utilities for the McMansion.  Even if she had a masters degree in social work, it would still be every difficult to afford her lifestyle.  Multilevel marketing/Pyramid schemes is all she knows.

• Love 6