Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

I was in High School mid 60's. Foreign language was required. They offered French, Spanish, and Latin. I wanted to take Latin but my Mom said no. So I ended up with 4 years of French.  :( 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I was in High School mid 60's. Foreign language was required.

DItto except that was only for the college prep kids.  I did Latin and French.  If I need to carry out a conversation with Julius Caesar, I am all set.

But who knows where Janelle went to school.  A lot of rural high schools don't have the resources for multiple language selections.  But I honestly cannot believe she thought that was Portugese. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m genuinely shocked. To me, identifying French is simple — so simple I thought it was common knowledge one could say “oh this is in French”.

Janelle isn’t the brightest bulb, is she? And maybe this time it’s not her fault. Maybe wherever she went to school didn’t have any foreign languages. The kind of school that only serves potatoes and canned cabbage for lunch. 

I’m still just stunned she can’t even ID the language. 

Me too, I'm shocked... French is one of the easiest languages to recognize... my grandchildren know what french looks like and they're 5, 7 and 10

The scary thing is even after this Janelle's still... SMARTER THAN YOUR AVERAGE BROWN (Maybe)  😳

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

In high school I was offered (the ones I remember)

French

Spanish

Russian

Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin)

I took 3 years of Spanish. I can say where is the library? Haha 

I wish I spoke Spanish ! It’s required at most job descriptions. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Janelle isn’t the brightest bulb, is she?

So you’ve finally figured her out then😉

Maybe it’s time she changes that bulb? Maybe then she’ll start seeing the light? 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Janelle graduated from Bountiful High School. I don’t know if she was homeschooled prior to that. She also has a bachelor’s degree in accounting from University of Phoenix.

• Useful 7
(edited)
16 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m still just stunned she can’t even ID the language. 

I'm Canadian and English/French bilingual so I could translate it for her, but I suspect once she sees the litres and grams she will probably give up anyways.  In high school I also took Latin and can recognize Spanish. If something starts off Spanishy and then goes odd including Japanese-sounding words like obrigado (J: arigatō), I figure it must be Portuguese.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

Me too, I'm shocked... French is one of the easiest languages to recognize... my grandchildren know what french looks like and they're 5, 7 and 10

The scary thing is even after this Janelle's still... SMARTER THAN YOUR AVERAGE BROWN (Maybe)  😳

Uh, yeah. “Maybe” we need to change that. There are SO many instances when there was something most of us knew as common knowledge and to Janelle, it was “new”.  Like what rock has she been hiding under most of her life. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, deirdra said:

I'm Canadian and English/French bilingual so I could translate it for her, but I suspect once she sees the litres and grams she will probably give up anyways.  In high school I also took Latin and can recognize Spanish. If something starts off Spanishy and then goes odd including Japanese-sounding words like obrigado (J: arigatō), I figure it must be Portuguese.

Languages are fun. I’ve had many years of German and Hebrew and some Russian, Akkadian and Arabic. There have been times people came to me with items of foreign script they weren’t sure of. Last year, I translated some writing on Russian art, describing the colors and material used. I’d forgotten so much because I don’t use it anymore (time for some Duolingo).

I desperately want to lean mandarin but can’t it on my own. Let’s throw Japanese in there too. And Thai. I wish it could be like The Matrix and just download it. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I took 3 years of Spanish. I can say where is the library? Haha 

Hahaha! In France, my sis and I kept inadvertently slipping into Spanish or a Spench (Spanish + French) so we started saying ¿Donde está la bibliotheca? to each other as a joke.

In our high school (mid 80's) a language was mandatory. We could choose Spanish, German or French. I chose Spanish because my dad IS German, so I figured he could teach me if I wished. French I learned a bit in my own from movies and books and (oddly) crochet and knitting patterns. I'm not great at any of them, lol, but I can get by. (I know all the curse words, of course!)

Turtle Power, I also wish we could just download languages directly to our brains! I would use up so many brain gigs on just languages.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Hahaha! In France, my sis and I kept inadvertently slipping into Spanish or a Spench (Spanish + French) so we started saying ¿Donde está la bibliotheca? to each other as a joke.

I did the same in France! Learning a language is so much fun to me. But as I've been improving my French, I noticed I was neglecting my Spanish, so I started beefing that up too, now I slip into some weird form of Franglish where you never know what's going to come out of my mouth.

I wonder how Janelle got around in Portugal. Americans always figure *someone* will be available to speak English to them, and I'm sure she's no different. While that's true of, say, Paris, I can't speak to a place like Madeira. I assume this is some sort of guided Plexus thing where poor Janelle never had to step outside of her comfort zone and learn a new word or participate in local culture outside of eating an entire fish.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

I can't speak to a place like Madeira

You would be surprised.  I watch a lot of YouTubers who travel a lot and they say you can almost always find english speaking staff in many locations.  But they really like it when you at least try to say a few words in their language.

The only one I saw that went to Portugal, His wife was from Brazil so language wasn't to much of problem for them.  He speaks it some, enough to get by.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

I have a few native English speakers among my friends and they are all having a hard time learning our language. They desperately want to, but they are easily identified as English speakers, which is a curse in this situation.
Over here, everyone loves the opportunity to speak another language (certainly English) and would switch to English straight away when talking to foreigners, including them! So they’re simply not given a chance to practise a new language. My friends really have  to insist on not using English which they often find awkward or rude, so they leave it at that. But yeah, they sometimes really wished people wouldn’t try so hard to speak English to them, so they can learn, 

Edited by LilyD
spelling (afe should have been are)
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I have a few native English speakers among my friends and they are all having a hard time learning our language. They desperately want to, but they afe easily identified as English speakers, which is a curse in this situation.
Over here, everyone loves the opportunity to speak another language (certainly English) and would switch to English straight away when talking to foreigners, including them! So they’re simply not given a chance to practise a new language. My friends really have  to insist on not using English which they often find awkward or rude, so they leave it at that. But yeah, they sometimes really wished people wouldn’t try so hard to speak English to them, so they can learn, 

Which language is it, LilyD?
It's amazing how well immersion works! We were only there a few days, but I was already reading and understanding signs and things that I'd not had experience with before. I was also figuring out which direction to go, and where things were without my old pal Google. Give me a month, and I'd probably survive!

With how narrow Janelle's life has been, and how self-conscious she is, I wonder if she even attempted to learn any words in Portuguese at all? At least she tried local foods, I'll give her that. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Which language is it, LilyD?
It's amazing how well immersion works! We were only there a few days, but I was already reading and understanding signs and things that I'd not had experience with before. I was also figuring out which direction to go, and where things were without my old pal Google. Give me a month, and I'd probably survive!

With how narrow Janelle's life has been, and how self-conscious she is, I wonder if she even attempted to learn any words in Portuguese at all? At least she tried local foods, I'll give her that. 

Janelle’s life definitely seems quite narrow, though not entirely her fault. I do think she needs to be held to a higher standard when it comes to her “strive” business, as she should know A LOT more than she does. She has demonstrated to be a dimwit in that subject when she should be an expert, since she’s charging people for her “advice”. 

• Love 12

"Pasteis de nata" is Portuguese (pastries of cream)/ custard so I can sort of see why she messed it up and thought the entire thing was in Portuguese.  But yes hard not to see that the rest of the recipe is in French. Seems obvious to me but I took French for four years (my husband speaks spanish and my son is actually fluent in Portuguese).  If she's not had any exposure to languages though I can see how this tripped her up tbh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

image.png.74e14a2fb5490b63d5786a3d0a79aa0b.pngHmm... which is the real Janelle? This one?

image.png.3adbe490eedbf8ee6d96e6e975046e61.pngOr this one? 

I can't rule out she's both but for this picture she must have taken some filter classes from Meri....

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Wow she is easy 300 pounds! 

Exactly she looks like one of the unhealthiest “healthy” people I’ve ever seen… she should stop swilling the plexus poison because it’s obviously not working.

6 hours ago, LilyD said:

image.png.74e14a2fb5490b63d5786a3d0a79aa0b.pngHmm... which is the real Janelle? This one?

She looks like an unmade bed

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, LilyD said:

image.png.3adbe490eedbf8ee6d96e6e975046e61.pngOr this one? 

I can't rule out she's both but for this picture she must have taken some filter classes from Meri....

It looks like she’s wearing the same top in both pics.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 5/13/2022 at 12:19 AM, Dustbunny said:

Because of last year's developments, I'd say the title of smarter than the average Brown no longer belongs to her but to Christine!  She was smart enough to leave. It did take her about 25 years to figure this out but still...

• Love 16

Who is still buying Plexus from this woman who makes no progress at all? Plexus stops cravings? Nah, doesn‘t look like at all 🤐 Can‘t believe that Plexus still wants her to advertise their products 😳

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Noergli said:

Who is still buying Plexus from this woman who makes no progress at all? Plexus stops cravings? Nah, doesn‘t look like at all 🤐 Can‘t believe that Plexus still wants her to advertise their products 😳

Plexus doesn’t care if she’s 400 pounds as long as she’s adding to her down line. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 8
On 5/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Noergli said:

Well maybe she drinks plexus to wash down the donuts she recently had 🤣.

Mmm donut flavored plexus would be delicious!

• LOL 8
22 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Well maybe she drinks plexus to wash down the donuts she recently had 🤣.

Mmm donut flavored plexus would be delicious!

Awesome! You get to eat all the delicious and bad stuff and flush all the bad stuff like fats and sugar away with Plexus Yay!!!   Where do I sign up?? (Just kidding😉)

• LOL 11
22 hours ago, LilyD said:

Awesome! You get to eat all the delicious and bad stuff and flush all the bad stuff like fats and sugar away with Plexus Yay!!!   Where do I sign up?? (Just kidding😉)

Maybe I should just pour plexus directly on my ass and see if it dissolves the fat that way...

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Not sure about now.  But when I was in school you didn't have to take a foreign language.  We had Spanish and French.  

Janelle is close to my age and we had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Janelle is close to my age and we had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate

Mine too.  Choices were French, Portuguese, Italian and Latin.

• Love 3
On 5/25/2022 at 11:31 PM, Joan of Argh said:

I think Savana spends too much time with Janelle, she’s turning into her twin

BD79C0A4-B8A0-45FC-BD0C-87FEB8AA88C0.jpeg

How old is savahna?  😦

Isn't Janelle supposed to be a health expert of some sort?

I thought this crap she sells is supposed to make you healthy, yet her and her kid keep getting larger and less healthy looking.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Munchkin said:

How old is savahna?  😦

Isn't Janelle supposed to be a health expert of some sort?

I thought this crap she sells is supposed to make you healthy, yet her and her kid keep getting larger and less healthy looking.

I know that some people thought the dress on Janelle was flattering but to me it just looks like some cheap Amazon dress that clings in all the wrong places.  Savanah's dress is even worse.  IMO of course.

• Love 9
On 5/28/2022 at 4:21 AM, Gramto6 said:

Michelle did donate  a kidney to someone. I give her great credit for that. Not anything to be put down for or questioned about.

Special place in heaven for folks like Michelle.  R.E.S.P.E.C.T!

• Love 12

Kody is not on any of Janelle's vacations or weekend outings, and he's never even a photo bomb in the candid pictures she takes at home. Tell me again how she's married? I think her interactions with Kody at this point are purely for the show. I wonder when the next season starts.

• Love 13
23 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Kody is not on any of Janelle's vacations or weekend outings, and he's never even a photo bomb in the candid pictures she takes at home. Tell me again how she's married? I think her interactions with Kody at this point are purely for the show. I wonder when the next season starts.

He's too busy dancing spinning Robyn around, remember? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11