Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I totally see your point - BUT - on your birthday you shouldn't have to pick an activity that a grown man wants to participate in.  Any OTHER time - sure.  But if what Meri wanted to do on her birthday was go see a kid's movie - then she should get to see it and KODY should suck it up and be a decent human being just because it's her birthday.  

In would agree with you had not the woman in question just dragged her husband through a humiliating catfish ordeal where it was clear she was about to leave him (and their family, including her beloved little Sol) for greener pastures.

Kody may suck ass as a husband but Meri was the one doing the actual steppin' out per their incredibly fucked up agreement. Frankly, I don't think she entitled to much on her birthday. At least not anything that puts people out in the slightest. She has a lot of making up to do. Kody needs to improve about a thousand percent as a husband, granted. But Meri absolutely stinks as a wife. It would be nice to see her at least appear to actually think of another person for a change, as opposed to her typical passive aggressive whining act where she manipulates everyone to get what she wants. It gets so old.

21 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 11
Just now, Celia Rubenstein said:

In would agree with you had not the woman in question just dragged her husband through a humiliating catfish ordeal where it was clear she was about to leave him (and their family, including her beloved little Sol) for greener pastures.

Kody may suck ass as a husband but Meri was the one doing the actual steppin' out per their incredibly fucked up agreement. Frankly, I don't think she entitled to much on her birthday. At least not anything that puts people out in the slightest. She has a lot of making up to do. Kody needs to improve about a thousand percent as a husband, granted. But Meri absolutely stinks as a wife. It would be nice to see her at least appear to actually think of another person for a change, as opposed to her typical passive aggressive whining act where she manipulates everyone to get what she wants. It gets so old.

I think it is necessary. Meri has run roughshod over the people in her life for literally decades. They have kow-towed and tiptoed and pussy footed around her manipulative mean girl antics for far too long. If the people in her life had had the balls to call her on her shit from the get go the way she gets called out in this forum, the Brown family would have been far happier and better off. I can only hope that this thread is an inspiration to them to finally stand up to Meri and stand up for themselves ... 

Celia, I edited my other post just as you were quoting me as I felt my words were a bit harsh. I have a tendency to give the Browns the benefit of the doubt, but I do understand your take on Meri and the situation. :)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

No worries, we're cool ... if we all agreed all the time it wouldn'tt be any fun!

LOL true - and I completely agree with what you said about the catfishing - Kody has every right to feel awful about that. 

BTW, love your avatar! :D

• Love 1

Does anyone think that if "Sam" was a real man, who clearly wet her whistle (at least in the bit of texts I read before boring of the stupidity), but looked or acted like Tony, she would have left with him? I waiver. For the most part, I think she would NOT because the fact he was tall and physically fit (and also clearly not in his 40s) was part of the attraction she intended to use when showing off her "upgrade" to her sister wives, but on the other hand, a billion dollars and ownership of a worldwide business (and plane!) would still allow her to show off. If he looked, acted, and was as broke as Tony, I have no doubt she wouldn't have given him the time of day. In fact, if he had tweeted her with his actual profile, she would have just blocked him.

If "Sam" had a great personality, was in his forties, did not have the physique of a small-time actor and fitness model but instead was a little pudgy, had a good job at a Fortune 500 Company making an income that wasn't in the multi-millions but was very good for Las Vegas and absolutely loved the her he thought he knew and wanted to support in her dreams of working with kids (or whatever it was then), I'm not sure how I fall. 

For me, it's really black and white on the extremes: Tall, handsome, billionaire = Hard yes; Average size, overweight/obese, works as a bank teller = Hard no. The middle of the two with real love involved? Arrggg. I've just spent five minutes thinking about it and that's way too much time contemplating the thought. I blame Nyquil. When does the sleep come? When does the stuffy head, runny nose, and headache go away? It will probably be nightmares now.

To be clear since I'm typing on Nyquil, if "Sam" as portrayed by JO existed, I have no doubt Meri was leaving the Browns. My sympathies for the turmoil and torture JO put Meri through dissolved as she just kept lying, refusing to acknowledge her part, which was as a victim of a psychopath and deserving of some sympathy, because she was mentally being manipulated, like Tony and Mykelti now.  But since her new position asserts it was all just a big game and she was playing along so that they could laugh at the catfisher who though she had been convinced to leave, she obviously isn't in need of sympathy because she is the victor, not the victim.

Speaking of Meri and Kody {blech} on the first or second season, Kody and Meri spent their honeymoon in Mexico and Kody asked her if she wanted to try in vitro and she said she didn't see the point. While at an appointment with Christine, Kody asked the doctor something about Meri's fertility and the doctor said something about seeing her. I think Mexico was after that appointment, but I'm not going to rewatch season one to be sure.

Later, she hemmed and hawed about the surrogacy and whether she wanted to try in vitro, even seeing a doctor on air, but when they went on that hike Kody shut it down and said that he thought they meditate on no. At the tell nothing at the end of the year, he said, and I hate myself for it but I actually agreed with him, that he thought he had a say in it, too, because of how difficult it was on each one of them and their family. If he didn't have Robyn willing to continue having his children, I don't think he would have been on a hard no at that point, but found myself ultimately agreeing with his shutting down Meri's indecisiveness on the matter, for the reasons explained in comments above mine.

(I spelled Kody "Coky" several times somehow, on Nyquil, but instead of think of a cokey Kody I'm still thinking of JO as a phlegm monster. Being sick sucks and I'm hating Nyquil right now...)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Christina said:

Speaking of Meri and Kody {blech} on the first or second season, Kody and Meri spent their honeymoon in Mexico and Kody asked her if she wanted to try in vitro and she said she didn't see the point. While at an appointment with Christine, Kody asked the doctor something about Meri's fertility and the doctor said something about seeing her. I think Mexico was after that appointment, but I'm not going to rewatch season one to be sure.

Later, she hemmed and hawed about the surrogacy and whether she wanted to try in vitro, even seeing a doctor on air, but when they went on that hike Kody shut it down and said that he thought they meditate on no. At the tell nothing at the end of the year, he said, and I hate myself for it but I actually agreed with him, that he thought he had a say in it, too, because of how difficult it was on each one of them and their family. If he didn't have Robyn willing to continue having his children, I don't think he would have been on a hard no at that point, but found myself ultimately agreeing with his shutting down Meri's indecisiveness on the matter, for the reasons explained in comments above mine.

It was the first season (aired October 2010...filmed in 2009/10) that Meri and Kody went to Mexico and Kody did his big...hey lets do invitro for our anniversary present and Meri's eloquent response was "I don't see the point".  Kody then says in a talking head that he didn't deem the "No" response to have been said loud enough and got all doughy with "I really want another..." (however Christine had just had Truely...so there he is not even satisfied after her birth) They talked a little about how three years prior she had suddenly gotten pregnant, but that was the one that she miscarried and it "broke their heart".

Fast forward to the end of Season three (aired Nov 2011, filmed Oct 2011) when Robyn gives the big offer of surrogacy.  And the very odd look on Meri's face and her "wow".

Fast forward again to Season 4 when the beginning of the "homes" began and Meri talked about infertility issues in the past. Aired Summer 2012. Then later that season Meri and Kody once again are off to Mexico and they discuss Robyns offer.

Bounce to Season 5 and the big drama of the homes is hot and heavy....Logan is graduating and deciding on university. Meri talks about her conflicts...Mariah wants to try...Meri is her usual indecisive.  Meri talks to a doctor. Talks to her sister and gets very very defensive when pushed (as usual). Kody states the whole "I'm gonna have more kids.  YOU have to decide if I'm having more kids with YOU" A very frustrated Kody pushes HARD to get some kind of answer from her...and gets her wishy washy answer with no answer...but...but...I just don't know....and then it becomes "we will decide when we move into the homes.  you have one month from when we move in"  Cue Meri's tears. You just don't know how hard it is... (insert my own eye roll here)

And forward to Season 6 with the big finale (aired Sept 2013) with the big hike on the rocks when a snotty toned Meri says to Kody "I keep asking you how you feel about it and I just don't know...I'm asking you about it now!" Kody explains that he is always responsible for any child, but since it's her body then the weight of the decision falls solidly on her shoulders. She says she understands. Kody goes on to say that he doesn't have a gut feeling on the thought of moving forward to have a baby with her, he backs it up saying "because God and Nature hasn't done it yet, I should have this burning in my gut to do with you.  And it's not" Meri puts it to him "do you want to have another baby with me or not" and Kody says "I would do it if nature just did it, if it just happened, no problem, it would be absolutely wonderful.  But it's not burning in my gut to do it, I say no"  Meri must not have heard him because then she says "I could have some tests to just see if it will work, see if the doctors would see if it would work" Kody is pretty sure, a doctor won't change my decision. This is how I feel. Kody says "Lets just sit on that no.  My answer is no" and Meri acts all shocked. 

In my opinion, scanning through this...come ON....the timeline is roughly 4 years ish depending on filming and airing etc. At the time Meri got a lot of sympathy because Kody shot her down, but she himmed and hawwed over this for a very very long time and then is shocked when she has realized that Mariah is on her way out of the house, Kody is very very happy with his new baby making wife and they have lost their connection.  I don't think Meri wanted a baby.  I think her first "what's the point" was her honest opinion.  The rest seemed like just another story line for the show by season 6.

...no I didn't rewatch the seasons....I just scanned episode descriptions and dates ;)

• Love 9

Maybe the truth of the birthday movie trip was that Meri wanted to take Solomon, but Sobyn wouldn't let him go with Meri unless Kody went along to make sure that she didn't take Sol across state lines and imprison him in one of those bedrooms in Parowan.  Meri has always loved Sol.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe the truth of the birthday movie trip was that Meri wanted to take Solomon, but Sobyn wouldn't let him go with Meri unless Kody went along to make sure that she didn't take Sol across state lines and imprison him in one of those bedrooms in Parowan.  Meri has always loved Sol.

It's heartbreaking to see Meri take such a devoted interest in Sol...baking/craft sessions, while Truley sits and watches Sol toddle across the courtyard for fun times at Meri's house.  Sort of contradicts the whole concept of embracing each others kids as their own.  Even if Meri doesn't feel the affinity to Truley that she does to Sol, it will never develop unless she nurtures it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

@Celia Rubenstein, your last sentence says it all.  Manipulative, childish, and selfish.  I used to think Robyn was the absolute worst, but now I think Meri has taken the crown.  The only way she can get any Kody attention is to use his golden child as a lure.  Very sad.  What a tangled web she weaved.

What I find sad is she is so thirsty for any attention from Kody she seems to overlook his thinly veiled contempt and I think disgust with her.  Girl, he is SOOOO not into you! 

Re the movie pic, what bugs me about it is using Sol to get what she wants (Kody being her date).  Children are not pawns.  Kody is no prize but I honestly cannot blame him for losing any last interest in Meri after the catfish deal.  This is an honest question that I just wondered about.  Have any of the other wives been as needy/demanding as Meri?  Meri and her wetbar of tears, Meri wanting Mariah to go to a private school, Meri wanting to go to school and quit the jewelry biz, Meri wanting the family to help buy a house/B&B, I just cannot remember any of the other wives asking for a larger piece of the Brown pie than Meri.  Her 'wants' seem to be a lot more spendy than the others.  I mean for god sake we heard Christine tell Kody you can store these mats in my garage but I want more grocery money.  No one needs a giant house for yourself and one child when another wife has to bargain for FOOD MONEY.  Meri is one of those women that will NEVER be happy.  

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

This is an honest question that I just wondered about.  Have any of the other wives been as needy/demanding as Meri?  Meri and her wetbar of tears, Meri wanting Mariah to go to a private school, Meri wanting to go to school and quit the jewelry biz, Meri wanting the family to help buy a house/B&B, I just cannot remember any of the other wives asking for a larger piece of the Brown pie than Meri.  Her 'wants' seem to be a lot more spendy than the others.  I mean for god sake we heard Christine tell Kody you can store these mats in my garage but I want more grocery money.  No one needs a giant house for yourself and one child when another wife has to bargain for FOOD MONEY.  Meri is one of those women that will NEVER be happy.  

And it goes back further than that.  Meri making the rules within the household with Janelle and mentally abusing her to have things done her way.  Meri demanding that no affection be shown for other wives in front of her because she can't handle it. Meri demanding her own kitchen so it could be decorated her way.  Meri demanding that money be split up according to wife number, and not children number so that she with one child gets the same allowance as a mother with 4/5/6 children, yet her contribution to the communal pot is the smallest financial contribution. Meri demanding a larger and more expensive rental house after "fleeing" Utah and be damned about other children having to go without so that she has an equal cut of the house pie. Oh...but her house could be used for family gatherings....so that somehow is supposed to make up for her wasting what little money they had at that time on her own ego's comfort.

By the looks of it she didn't spend her excess on the good of the family either, but for her own decorating tastes and wants. 

1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

It's heartbreaking to see Meri take such a devoted interest in Sol...baking/craft sessions, while Truley sits and watches Sol toddle across the courtyard for fun times at Meri's house.  Sort of contradicts the whole concept of embracing each others kids as their own.  Even if Meri doesn't feel the affinity to Truley that she does to Sol, it will never develop unless she nurtures it.

I remember a tiny talking head segment long ago when Christine let slip that she believed Meri was too hard on her kids.  I'm not sure Christine would let Meri have the one on one time with Truely in the way she does with Sol even if Meri was begging for the time.  Meri bonded closely with Sol because at the time he was born she was closely bonded with Robyn and Meri has made it painfully clear off and on that she wanted a boy child more than anything else.  She hasn't had that connection to Christine, and so is more of that Aunty (tho they swear otherwise) with Christine's kids.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Meri has always loved Sol.

1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I hope Meri does sincerely love Sol. He seems like sweet, adorable little boy and he deserves to be loved by everyone. 

But part of me has always been a little bit suspicious of Meri's apparent fondness for him.  It feels a little like she wants a small child to share with Kody, a son being ideal. It's a way to recreate the happier times Meri and Mariah and Kody once shared, plus Sol's presence is an obvious draw for Kody. And let's face it, Meri needs a draw at the point. Because Kody is completely, entirely over her.

Plus Sol belongs to Robyn, Kody's favorite wife.  Spending time with Sol earns Kody bonus points with Robyn and reduces the chance she would complain about Kody spending too much time with Meri since little Sol is benefiting from it. It's just something else that makes the whole arrangement work a little smoother.

Because, yeah .... why not favor Truely?  Is a girl child less of a draw for Kody? Does Kody's obvious impatience with Robyn and her loud brood make using Truely as bait less likely to work?

The thing Roslyn mentioned (Christine complaining about Meri's harsh treatment of her kids) is very relevant and a possible explanation. But it's not enough to wipe away all my suspicion regarding why Meri latched onto Sol and not Truely.  I mean, if I was picking a kid to use as a lure for Kody, Sol is the child I would identify as the best one to use. He's really the obvious choice.

Throw in Meri's openly admitted, acknowledged plan to take Sol with her on a trip to see a very pissed off Mariah so that she could use the tot as a human shield and it casts everything about Meri's relationship with Sol in an even worse light. That was just so selfish and horrible. Thank god Robyn slammed the breaks on that idea, insisting Sol would become upset if he were that far away from her for so long. Because Meri clearly didn't care how Sol felt. She was indignant and pissed off she wasn't going to get her way. And that is not the response of someone who sincerely cares about a little child, imo. Maybe it's just proof of how completely self absorbed Meri is, I don't know. But it seriously rubbed me the wrong way.

This whole movie thing ... I've already said enough about it I guess. It's just more of the same. Makes me doubt the sincerity of Meri's feelings even more. I hope I'm wrong, or that even if much of  her motivations are selfish, deep down she still does really love Sol just because he is a wonderful little boy. She probably does. How can a person not look at that sweet little face and not? But it doesn't mean love is her only (or even her main) motivation. Meri is just too open and obvious about using Sol - she doesn't even try to hide it. I don't think it's just a joke. Certainly the thing with Mariah was no joke. It was a nefarious plot, for goodness sakes. 

I hope Robyn stays on top of things. I just don't trust Meri. Fortunately I doubt anyone else on the cuddle sac does either. 

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I hope Meri does sincerely love Sol. He seems like sweet, adorable little boy and he deserves to be loved by everyone. 

But part of me has always been a little bit suspicious of Meri's apparent fondness for him.  It feels a little like she wants a small child to share with Kody, a son being ideal. It's a way to recreate the happier times Meri and Mariah and Kody once shared, plus Sol's presence is an obvious draw for Kody. And let's face it, Meri needs a draw at the point. Because Kody is completely, entirely over her.

Plus Sol belongs to Robyn, Kody's favorite wife.  Spending time with Sol earns Kody bonus points with Robyn and reduces the chance she would complain about Kody spending too much time with Meri since little Sol is benefiting from it. It's just something else that makes the whole arrangement work a little smoother.

Because, yeah .... why not favor Truely?  Is a girl child less of a draw for Kody? Does Kody's obvious impatience with Robyn and her loud brood make using Truely as bait less likely to work?

The thing Roslyn mentioned (Christine complaining about Meri's harsh treatment of her kids) is very relevant and a possible explanation. But it's not enough to wipe away all my suspicion regarding why Meri latched onto Sol and not Truely.  I mean, if I was picking a kid to use as a lure for Kody, Sol is the child I would identify as the best one to use. He's really the obvious choice.

Throw in Meri's openly admitted, acknowledged plan to take Sol with her on a trip to see a very pissed off Mariah so that she could use the tot as a human shield and it casts everything about Meri's relationship with Sol in an even worse light. That was just so selfish and horrible. Thank god Robyn slammed the breaks on that idea, insisting Sol would become upset if he were that far away from her for so long. Because Meri clearly didn't care how Sol felt. She was indignant and pissed off she wasn't going to get her way. And that is not the response of someone who sincerely cares about a little child, imo. Maybe it's just proof of how completely self absorbed Meri is, I don't know. But it seriously rubbed me the wrong way.

This whole movie thing ... I've already said enough about it I guess. It's just more of the same. Makes me doubt the sincerity of Meri's feelings even more. I hope I'm wrong, or that even if much of  her motivations are selfish, deep down she still does really love Sol just because he is a wonderful little boy. She probably does. How can a person not look at that sweet little face and not? But it doesn't mean love is her only (or even her main) motivation. Meri is just too open and obvious about using Sol - she doesn't even try to hide it. I don't think it's just a joke. Certainly the thing with Mariah was no joke. It was a nefarious plot, for goodness sakes. 

I hope Robyn stays on top of things. I just don't trust Meri. Fortunately I doubt anyone else on the cuddle sac does either. 

Very well-said! I've gone from being upset and completely disagreeing with everyone about the picture to really seeing your points. 

The show has been on so long and so much has happened that I forget half the stuff that has gone down between the wives and Kody. I agree that Kody is not feeling it with Meri anymore, at all, and I can completely understand that. Things had been bad between them for a long time, and then the catfishing happened. I have to give Kody a lot of credit for the way he conducted (and continues to conduct) himself publicly regarding that whole mess. I think he is a lot more humiliated and hurt than he has let on publicly. Not to say he is completely blameless for the deterioration of his relationship with Meri, but crap, that was a public embarassment of epic proportions.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree that Kody is not feeling it with Meri anymore, at all, and I can completely understand that. Things had been bad between them for a long time, and then the catfishing happened. I have to give Kody a lot of credit for the way he conducted (and continues to conduct) himself publicly regarding that whole mess. I think he is a lot more humiliated and hurt than he has let on publicly. Not to say he is completely blameless for the deterioration of his relationship with Meri, but crap, that was a public embarassment of epic proportions.

Epic is truly the right word. 

The nosy snoop in me is dying to know how he reacted when it really dawned on him what Meri had been up to.  Oh, to have been a fly on the wall the first time he spoke to her after learning she had not only been having an emotional affair and plotting her escape, but that the whole thing was the doing of a complete psycho nutbag catfish and the entire story was going to come out. Seeing the picture of the word "Sam" scratched into Meri's leg. The banana pic, Lord. All those messages. 

I'm kind of surprised he has even tried to make some pretense of rebuilding a relationship with her.  The whole thing happened because their relationship was dead. The chances of breathing any life back into it now are around zero.  But he has to put on an act for the sake of the show, I guess.

I've always wondered how much pleasure Janelle and Christine took in watching Meri fall off her high horse. Because how could they not? She's treated them so badly for so long. Even the most generous person in the world would have to feel some kind of ... satisfaction?  No way do I believe either of them is above it. They may not have laughed in her face, but I bet there was some genuine shocked amusement behind her back. How could there not be!

• Love 11

As I was reading these posts a light bulb went off over my head.  (Please don't nail me to a fence! This is a place to DISCUSS stuff - I am not trying to convince anyone to believe what I believe, and I'm not trying to discount your thoughts and beliefs in any way!)  Why is it acceptable for Kody to have ongoing sex with four women (not actually married to three of them) but so devastating to him to have Meri TALK to some guy online?  Don't get me wrong - not excusing her behavior, although it's no secret that she was lonely - she's said it enough times.   Yeah  - if Sam had been a real guy she MIGHT have left Kody, or she might not have.  It never got to that point.  So the reality is that she TALKED (and probably flirted) with this supposed guy online.  Since polygamy isn't legal and the subsequent marriage ceremonies were just that - "ceremonial" to them in nature - it could be argued that KODY committed adultery on MERI since she was the first and legal wife at the time.   I'm not excusing anyone or anything - I am simply stating what popped in my head.....  I feel that it is hypocritical for Kody to get SO upset over this catfishing incident.  She talked - he has sexual intercourse.  

Why is polygamy always ONE guy - multiple women?  Even to me, I find the thought of one wife with several husbands to be downright gross, lol - but is this a man's world or what?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

What I find sad is she is so thirsty for any attention from Kody she seems to overlook his thinly veiled contempt and I think disgust with her.  Girl, he is SOOOO not into you! 

Re the movie pic, what bugs me about it is using Sol to get what she wants (Kody being her date).  Children are not pawns.  Kody is no prize but I honestly cannot blame him for losing any last interest in Meri after the catfish deal.  This is an honest question that I just wondered about.  Have any of the other wives been as needy/demanding as Meri?  Meri and her wetbar of tears, Meri wanting Mariah to go to a private school, Meri wanting to go to school and quit the jewelry biz, Meri wanting the family to help buy a house/B&B, I just cannot remember any of the other wives asking for a larger piece of the Brown pie than Meri.  Her 'wants' seem to be a lot more spendy than the others.  I mean for god sake we heard Christine tell Kody you can store these mats in my garage but I want more grocery money.  No one needs a giant house for yourself and one child when another wife has to bargain for FOOD MONEY.  Meri is one of those women that will NEVER be happy.  

This is what always galled me about Meri's over-sized, unnecessary house - and Kody's refusal to rein her in. If it had been me, I'd have straight up told her she's not getting a huge house because she's got one kid and that kid is leaving the nest in the next couple of years. If necessary, I'd have metaphorically bludgeoned her with the Bible and whipped out the passage "From each according to his ability; To each according to his need". Then again, I tend to believe in living within my means....

2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

As I was reading these posts a light bulb went off over my head.  (Please don't nail me to a fence! This is a place to DISCUSS stuff - I am not trying to convince anyone to believe what I believe, and I'm not trying to discount your thoughts and beliefs in any way!)  Why is it acceptable for Kody to have ongoing sex with four women (not actually married to three of them) but so devastating to him to have Meri TALK to some guy online?  Don't get me wrong - not excusing her behavior, although it's no secret that she was lonely - she's said it enough times.   Yeah  - if Sam had been a real guy she MIGHT have left Kody, or she might not have.  It never got to that point.  So the reality is that she TALKED (and probably flirted) with this supposed guy online.  Since polygamy isn't legal and the subsequent marriage ceremonies were just that - "ceremonial" to them in nature - it could be argued that KODY committed adultery on MERI since she was the first and legal wife at the time.   I'm not excusing anyone or anything - I am simply stating what popped in my head.....  I feel that it is hypocritical for Kody to get SO upset over this catfishing incident.  She talked - he has sexual intercourse.  

Why is polygamy always ONE guy - multiple women?  Even to me, I find the thought of one wife with several husbands to be downright gross, lol - but is this a man's world or what?

Oh, believe me, nobody here is going to attack you over this. I recall it being discussed before. And believe me, it's something my wife and I still discuss between ourselves. In fact, we just discussed it last night while watching Seeking Sister Wife. It's asinine and, in my opinion, simply a way to perpetuate male dominance. I'm sure someone else will be along to discuss this with you in more depth and the conversation will probably be very interesting. But it's unlikely anyone here will disagree with you.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Seeing the picture of the word "Sam" scratched into Meri's leg.

WTH?  Is that seriously true?  Where did this come out?  That is beyond gross..... that is something an 11 year old girl with her first crush might do, but an adult????? 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I understand your issues with polygamy (definitely NOT my thing!), but all of the wives entered into this lifestyle willingly and took oaths, vows, what have you, whether legally or spiritually. The understanding is that they are committed to each other, and the wives know and understand that their husband will be having sex with the others. Someone who is in-the-know can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine the understanding is that the wives will be faithful to their husband. It's not a lifestyle that I would participate in at all, ever ever ever, but if all parties agree, there you go. 

That being said, there is an argument to be made that Meri orchestrated the divorce as a way to legally free herself from Kody and pursue a life outside of the family.

Edited by Gothish520
typos
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Kyanight, you are among friends here, lol. Don't worry, ain't nobody gonna argue with anything you just said!

A lot of bullshit, this polygamy thing is (imo). Double standards, inequity, hypocrisy .... yep. Massive male egos and brainwashed women, jealousy, resentment ... neglected and/or overworked kids ... yep yep and yep. All true.

It's funny the Browns claim they did this program to show the world how dandy polygamy can be, but all they did was further the discussion of what a sick institution it is. And the show just refuses to die. Just when you are ready to stick a fork in it, someone comes along getting catfished or a kid turns gay or marries a complete asshole who regalvanizes the audience by the power of the sheer hatred he generates among them. You're right, the whole thing is a giant fluster cluck, but we just try and have fun with it.

20 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

WTH?  Is that seriously true?  Where did this come out?  That is beyond gross..... that is something an 11 year old girl with her first crush might do, but an adult????? 

Some link the pic for our friend. I don't know how to do it on my phone using one hand while two dogs are sleeping on me!

• Love 4

<pedant> Polygamy is actually the generic term: what the Browns have is technically polygyny.  One woman/two or more males is polyandry, and is a lot less common. </pedant>

As I recall, Kody nearly hurled his cookies just thinking about polyandry when an interviewer or someone brought it up, calling it disgusting.  And yet everyone is supposed to be just dandy with his polygyny, and if someone doesn't like it it's because they are bigots or whatever.  Sauce for the goose, Kodester.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mya said:

I am wondering if there is a way to check on how may bookings the B/B has received. Can availability be seen on the website? 

Yes, it's easy, click on the calendar. You can see current and future availability.

Plus, you know Meri is counting page views to validate her investment. Click away!

• Love 4

In the Small Talk thread, I posted a 2006 article from The Atlantic which explains it in detail and, surprisingly, religion is the least of the reasons behind it.

• Love 3

Sorry.  The pictures posted twice.  Here is Meri with her best come hither look, the infamous banana and the Sam carving in her arm.  These are pictures she tweeted to "Sam".  The one that is really hard to see is Meri posing in the bathtub.

Yup, it happened and interwebs never forget.

mb.JPG

mb.JPG

Edited by toodles
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

<pedant> Polygamy is actually the generic term: what the Browns have is technically polygyny.  One woman/two or more males is polyandry, and is a lot less common. </pedant>

As I recall, Kody nearly hurled his cookies just thinking about polyandry when an interviewer or someone brought it up, calling it disgusting.  And yet everyone is supposed to be just dandy with his polygyny, and if someone doesn't like it it's because they are bigots or whatever.  Sauce for the goose, Kodester.

It was Meri that brought it up, I can't recall the circumstance, but they were seated in a restaurant and she was trying to elicit some kind of testament of his commitment to her.  As I recall, Kody used the word 'disgusting' at the mere thought of multiple husbands.

• Love 2

Why is it acceptable for Kody to have ongoing sex with four women (not actually married to three of them) but so devastating to him to have Meri TALK to some guy online?

People make rules for their own relationships, and Meri and Kody entered into a marriage with the understanding that he would take other wives and she would be faithful only to him. Further, he is not allowed to have intimate relationships with anyone, male or female, other than the women he married under the tenets of their faith. According to their faith, he is married to Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn and is expected to have sex and children with them. They are not married according to the government or many people's religions, but they are according to their own and this is acceptable to them -- in theory but obviously not in practice since you can physically see how miserable all the marriages are and it seems pretty obvious polygamy is the key factor in the misery.

In what I believe was an effort to stay on this side of legalities, the catfisher did not release the nude and extremely sexual texts and photos that I think exist. If she had, Meri may have had some teeth to a lawsuit if she decided to file one. As it was, JO's release of what Meri sent her wasn't illegal, because once you leave someone a voicemail or send them text or a photo, it belongs to them. Even States where revenge porn is not yet on the books has some options for invasion of privacy that would have allowed Meri to get the pamphlet, that JO called a book, pulled. 

Meri shared a lot of things with "Sam" about her family, and JO had no problem sharing them with the world. In my opinion, that relationship was very intimate even though it wasn't physical. There is a voicemail of Meri trying to tell "Sam" how much better he is than Kody, which had to be crushing to hear. JO shared a text where Meri was saying how Kody stayed the night with her like he was supposed to, when he had been skipping her nights and staying with Robyn, and that she initiated sex and he just went through the motions. You could actually feel her grief in those texts. "Sam" used it to order Meri to not allow Kody to come around any longer, because she was cheating on him, even though he didn't exist, and Meri told Kody to stay away.

Kody is obtuse and had no idea of why she was upset with him, or that her constant attention on her phone and computer involved another "man" and not the pyramid scheme like she said. He thought she froze him out for no reason, as opposed to recognizing their relationship had been treading water for years even though she kept telling him it was and they had attended counseling. The man is a blooming idiot who learned the friendship with an online friend and someone who bought into their pyramid scheme for $10k (defrauded from someone else) had reached the point she was leaving the family and moving in with him, at the same time the rest of us did. Actually, I can't say that since almost everyone who saw the first interactions realized it was a catfisher, but they did take it offline to texts and we weren't privy to those until she told the family they may wake up and find her gone. It's my opinion that the producer sat her down and asked her about her plans, she told that person she was moving with "Sam" and the evidence of JO was given to her. Members of the production team and TLC followed the Batman Twitter for a bit early on.

Since Kody is so dense, he decided that if they pretended JO didn't exist and none of them addressed the social media or visited the website of texts and voicemail it would all disappear. He probably didn't visit the website but you know damn well the rest of the wives and several of the kids did, including Mariah. The show was all "Hell NO we're not ignoring it!" and Kody's opinion was ignored.

Meri shared private information about the other wives and Mariah with "Sam," and even though they knew she didn't like them, seeing how she spoke about them must have hurt, too. I actually quit reading and listening pretty quickly, but did read the book review (uggg, can't link it either grrrr) and it looks like Meri took glee in trashing the others. Mariah was one of the first to tell her "Sam" wasn't real, and throughout the six month debacle, Meri used Mariah as an excuse for the failed meetup attempts, which is one of the reasons she was so angry. Meri planned to go visit Mariah, told the family that is where she was going, but only planned to visit for a few hours and then go meet her new beau, who always had to cancel. Running that multimillion dollar business was time consuming. 

When everyone was telling her that "Sam" was JO, she kept blocking them, retweeting his flirty tweets to get attention from Kody, then would do her, "Why don't these people understand that I'm married?" poor me routine, that the wives saw through but Kody didn't because he's obtuse and just wasn't jealous. He made one response bashing Batman once, but other than that, "Batman" handed over $10k so he was all "Whatevers, dude."

Even without reading or hearing everything, I can say without any doubt that if my SO had been communicating with someone else to the extent Meri was, I would consider it a violation of trust at minimum, but think that the word cheating applies as it come to the sexual banter and photos.

TL:DR - She crossed the lines of their faith and relationship agreement while Kody hasn't, therefore, she cheated and he didn't. In my personal opinion, the relationship Meri had with "Sam" was intimate and sexual, but not yet physical. Oh, and Kody is an obtuse asshat; I don't think I mentioned that enough. 

Edited by Christina
missing necessary words
  • Love 17

The pictures are above.

25 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

It was Meri that brought it up, I can't recall the circumstance, but they were seated in a restaurant and she was trying to elicit some kind of testament of his commitment to her.  As I recall, Kody used the word 'disgusting' at the mere thought of multiple husbands.

They were in Mexico for their anniversary.  Nice.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Christina said:

People make rules for their own relationships, and Meri and Kody entered into a marriage with the understanding that he would take other wives and she would be faithful only to him. Further, he is not allowed to have intimate relationships with anyone, male or female, other than the women he married under the tenets of their faith. According to their faith, he is married to Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn and is expected to have sex and children with them. They are not married according to the government or many people's religions, but they are according to their own and this is acceptable to them -- in theory but obviously not in practice since you can physically see how miserable all the marriages are and it seems pretty obvious polygamy is the key factor in the misery.

In what I believe was an effort to stay on this side of legalities, the catfisher did not release the nude and extremely sexual texts and photos that I think exist. If she had, Meri may have had some teeth to a lawsuit if she decided to file one. As it was, JO's release of what Meri sent her wasn't illegal, because once you leave someone a voicemail or send them text or a photo, it belongs to them. Even States where revenge porn is not yet on the books has some options for invasion of privacy that would have allowed Meri to get the pamphlet, that JO called a book, pulled. 

Meri shared a lot of things with "Sam" about her family, and JO had no problem sharing them with the world. In my opinion, that relationship was very intimate even though it wasn't physical. There is a voicemail of Meri trying to tell "Sam" how much better he is than Kody, which had to be crushing to hear. JO shared a text where Meri was saying how Kody stayed the night with her like he was supposed to, when he had been skipping her nights and staying with Robyn, and that she initiated sex and he just went through the motions. You could actually feel her grief in those texts. "Sam" used it to order Meri to not allow Kody to come around any longer, because she was cheating on him, even though he didn't exist, and Meri told Kody to stay away.

Kody is obtuse and had no idea of why she was upset with him, or that her constant attention on her phone and computer involved another "man" and not the pyramid scheme like she said. He thought she froze him out for no reason, as opposed to recognizing their relationship had been treading water for years even though she kept telling him it was and they had attended counseling. The man is a blooming idiot who learned the friendship with an online friend and someone who bought into their pyramid scheme for $10k (defrauded from someone else) had reached the point she was leaving the family and moving in with him, at the same time the rest of us did. Actually, I can't say that since almost everyone who saw the first interactions realized it was a catfisher, but they did take it offline to texts and we weren't privy to those until she told the family they may wake up and find her gone. It's my opinion that the producer sat her down and asked her about her plans, she told that person she was moving with "Sam" and the evidence of JO was given to her. Members of the production team and TLC followed the Batman Twitter for a bit early on.

Since Kody is so dense, he decided that if they pretended JO didn't exist and none of them addressed the social media or visited the website of texts and voicemail it would all disappear. He probably didn't visit the website but you know damn well the rest of the wives and several of the kids did, including Mariah. The show was all "Hell NO we're not ignoring it!" and Kody's opinion was ignored.

Meri shared private information about the other wives and Mariah with "Sam," and even though they knew she didn't like them, seeing how she spoke about them must have hurt, too. I actually quit reading and listening pretty quickly, but did read the book review (uggg, can't link it either grrrr) and it looks like Meri took glee in trashing the others. Mariah was one of the first to tell her "Sam" wasn't real, and throughout the six month debacle, Meri used Mariah as an excuse for the failed meetup attempts, which is one of the reasons she was so angry. Meri planned to go visit Mariah, told the family that is where she was going, but only planned to visit for a few hours and then go meet her new beau, who always had to cancel. Running that multimillion dollar business was time consuming. 

When everyone was telling her that "Sam" was JO, she kept blocking them, retweeting his flirty tweets to get attention from Kody, then would do her, "Why don't these people understand that I'm married?" poor me routine, that the wives saw through but Kody didn't because he's obtuse and just wasn't jealous. He made one response bashing Batman once, but other than that, "Batman" handed over $10k so he was all "Whatevers, dude."

Even without reading or hearing everything, I can say without any doubt that if my SO had been communicating with someone else to the extent Meri was, I would consider it a violation of trust at minimum, but think that the word cheating applies as it come to the sexual banter and photos.

TL:DR - She crossed the lines of their faith and relationship agreement while Kody hasn't, therefore, she cheated and he didn't. In my personal opinion, the relationship Meri had with "Sam" was intimate and sexual, but not yet physical. Oh, and Kody is an obtuse asshat; I don't think I mentioned that enough. 

Thank you for explaining all of that!  It makes things SO much clearer!!  What a mess!

18 minutes ago, toodles said:

The pictures are above.

Eww.  Just..... ew.

• Love 4

Why is it acceptable for Kody to have ongoing sex with four women (not actually married to three of them) but so devastating to him to have Meri TALK to some guy online?  Don't get me wrong - not excusing her behavior, although it's no secret that she was lonely - she's said it enough times.   Yeah  - if Sam had been a real guy she MIGHT have left Kody, or she might not have.  It never got to that point.  So the reality is that she TALKED (and probably flirted) with this supposed guy online.  Since polygamy isn't legal and the subsequent marriage ceremonies were just that - "ceremonial" to them in nature - it could be argued that KODY committed adultery on MERI since she was the first and legal wife at the time.   I'm not excusing anyone or anything - I am simply stating what popped in my head.....  I feel that it is hypocritical for Kody to get SO upset over this catfishing incident.  She talked - he has sexual intercourse. 

The online affair is a new hiccup in the world of cheating due to the "secrecy" of the internet. I can understand how it's easy to write it off because "hey...they don't even touch each other.  how is it cheating without the physical aspect?" But...take away the computer and put your committed partner into the same conversation.  My husband and another woman, never touching, but meeting every single day, multiple times a day, late into the night having intimate conversations, flirting, emotional connections that lead to him changing the dynamic of OUR marriage.  They never touched each other, just meeting, just talking.  That is cheating, regardless of physical intimacy.  The relationship with that person changes his relationship with me.  Just add the computer and that's the new form of secret relationships without the physical meeting aspect. 

Marriage is ONLY what the people within the commitment make of it. In the modern world it is paperwork, legal government involvement etc. But in actuality it's only as good as the keeping of the promises two people make to each other.  In a polygamists case...multiple people.

Why is polygamy stacked against women?  Because for a millennia many religions and cultures are based on the subjugation and control of women. Mother Nature gives us the strong tie to our children, so in a religion that was designed around making lots of children with lots of women it becomes easy to control women using the simple build in design of our own instincts.  If you read about the Mormon rules for women you can see that the religion is structured against women.

• Love 6

I tried to link to the Blogspot blog for The Bullshit Book Club earlier, but was having issues. The link takes you to the first post, and then you could can read a thorough review of the catfisher's pamphlet book. Anyone who managed to escape the voicemails and texts but wondered just how far Meri took it, the book review in that link will give you a good overview. There were texts that looked like they had just finished a hot and heavy sexting session, possibly with video and/or photos, that we were fortunately spared. 

Meri was head-over-heels in love with "Sam." JO is a psychopath who is quite manipulative and when you hear her other victims talk about the magnetic pull she creates and the whirlwind they find themselves in, unable to think logically and just wanting to please "Sam." The fact that JO got away with everything is despicable.

Thank you for explaining all of that!  It makes things SO much clearer!!  What a mess!

People that were lucky enough to not get sucked into that black hole don't tend to realize how hot and heavy those two were. It sounds like they were only sending kissy emoticons at each other when, in fact, there was probable phone sex involved and they were discussing deep and personal thoughts, desires and feelings, that weren't all sexual, but were pretty intimate.

It doesn't seem like behavior anyone in a committed relationship would agree with their SO partaking in, without some type of agreement beforehand, yet some people think that she was divorced at the time so she wasn't doing anything wrong. I really wonder if they know what she said and did. Maybe they do and really think it is okay for her to tell Kody that she IS committed and faithful to him all the while she sending photos of her body parts to a new love interest. There is also the fact that their belief system is different and I guess if you (general not specific you) don't think you should have sex outside of marriage and don't acknowledge non-governmental approved marriages, it will always look like Kody is a cheater. He IS always as ass, though.

Meri didn't know that "Sam" wasn't going to be able to actually have sex with her, so she gets no pass from me on her actions. I would have been very hurt and angry with my partner if he acted like Meri did in the situation. We're not married, either, and we don't even live together. Too far is too far and Meri crossed lines because she thought she was about to move onto something bigger and better.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, toodles said:

The pictures are above.

They were in Mexico for their anniversary.  Nice.

Yeah, it was so nice. Meri trying to explain to Kody her feelings and used that as a example how would he feel if things were reverse. Instead of being understanding he told her how disgusting that was. Way to be an awesome husband Kody! 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Christina said:

once you ... send them ... a photo, it belongs to them.

I would just like to point out that in America this is definitely not true. Ownership of the photo remains with the person who took the picture, unless they have turned over copyright ownership to someone else, which requires filing transfer of copyright with the federal government. Assuming the person who took the photo has not done that (and most people don't bother to file copyright with the government, which leaves them with implicit rather than explicit copyright protection), then the photographer maintains control over the image.

The problem for victims of revenge porn is they have to file for explicit copyright protection for the images they want removed from whatever site|s, which of course then makes the images searchable in the government's database. It also means that copyright examiners are going to be seeing the pictures you don't want seen. As for pictures you've sent via text message or any other medium, while the person who received it owns that particular copy, you can still sue to force them to delete or otherwise destroy it.

Professional photographers, such as for weddings, prom, yearbook, and so on, maintain copyright ownership of the pictures you paid them to take. When they sell you a print, they're actually (implicitly) licensing that print to you. The typical implicit license is that the print is for your own personal use and that you won't use it to promote another business/charity/etc without first getting explicit permission. As long as you don't violate that license, then it is basically granted in perpetuity to whomever claims ownership of the print (making it possible to pass the implicit license on to children and grandchildren). Obviously, if you hire the photographer to take pictures to be used in advertising or what-have-you, then the license agreement allows for that (but this is usually spelled out in a contract). The same is true of hiring a videographer: If you hire them to take video of your wedding, the implicit license includes the caveat that you won't be charging admission to watch your video.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, Christina said:

I tried to link to the Blogspot blog for The Bullshit Book Club earlier, but was having issues. The link takes you to the first post, and then you could can read a thorough review of the catfisher's pamphlet book. Anyone who managed to escape the voicemails and texts but wondered just how far Meri took it, the book review in that link will give you a good overview. There were texts that looked like they had just finished a hot and heavy sexting session, possibly with video and/or photos, that we were fortunately spared. 

Meri was head-over-heels in love with "Sam." JO is a psychopath who is quite manipulative and when you hear her other victims talk about the magnetic pull she creates and the whirlwind they find themselves in, unable to think logically and just wanting to please "Sam." The fact that JO got away with everything is despicable.

People that were lucky enough to not get sucked into that black hole don't tend to realize how hot and heavy those two were. It sounds like they were only sending kissy emoticons at each other when, in fact, there was probable phone sex involved and they were discussing deep and personal thoughts, desires and feelings, that weren't all sexual, but were pretty intimate.

It doesn't seem like behavior anyone in a committed relationship would agree with their SO partaking in, without some type of agreement beforehand, yet some people think that she was divorced at the time so she wasn't doing anything wrong. I really wonder if they know what she said and did. Maybe they do and really think it is okay for her to tell Kody that she IS committed and faithful to him all the while she sending photos of her body parts to a new love interest. There is also the fact that their belief system is different and I guess if you (general not specific you) don't think you should have sex outside of marriage and don't acknowledge non-governmental approved marriages, it will always look like Kody is a cheater. He IS always as ass, though.

Meri didn't know that "Sam" wasn't going to be able to actually have sex with her, so she gets no pass from me on her actions. I would have been very hurt and angry with my partner if he acted like Meri did in the situation. We're not married, either, and we don't even live together. Too far is too far and Meri crossed lines because she thought she was about to move onto something bigger and better.

I have heard the messages she left. There were also the photos JO had, something with a banana (that I never wanna see again), it was definitely Meri. This is why everyone  in the family had--and still has--a right to be so angry with her--she minimized all of this, made "Sam"/JO out to be 100% the bad guy. She then moved on without addressing the reality of how she really felt; she was the victim in all this. I feel like her "remorse" was never about the pain she caused others, but rather the pain inflicted on her. 

Whatever, Meri. It's still under that rug where you last swept it. And everyone knows it. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I have heard the messages she left. There were also the photos JO had, something with a banana (that I never wanna see again), it was definitely Meri. This is why everyone  in the family had--and still has--a right to be so angry with her--she minimized all of this, made "Sam"/JO out to be 100% the bad guy. She then moved on without addressing the reality of how she really felt; she was the victim in all this. I feel like her "remorse" was never about the pain she caused others, but rather the pain inflicted on her. 

Whatever, Meri. It's still under that rug where you last swept it. And everyone knows it. 

And let us never forget, brave little soldier that Meri is, was 'protecting' the family from some imaginary/implied threat by going along with Sam/JO.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

And let us never forget, brave little soldier that Meri is, was 'protecting' the family from some imaginary/implied threat by going along with Sam/JO.

I forgot about that! There's so much BS with this woman it's hard to keep it all straight. She definitely did not deserve what happened to her, no one does, but I don't feel empathy from the fallout on how she handled it. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I forgot about that! There's so much BS with this woman it's hard to keep it all straight. She definitely did not deserve what happened to her, no one does, but I don't feel empathy from the fallout on how she handled it. 

My contempt for Meri arises from the fact that she was 'all in' with this escapade right up until the moment of discovery, it didn't just happen to Meri, she was an eager participant.

If she was truly a strong woman, she would have extricated herself from a loveless marriage before pursuing an alternative.

• Love 10
On 1/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, suomi said:

Surprised to learn that the grand opening happened on a Sunday. Wait, I'm surprised to hear that there even was a grand opening. I mean, #1 who in that BFE town could possibly not know the Inn's location and #2 why would they care about what it offers? It's not like the townies are ever going to stay there. With the size of the mortgage, the lack of location location location, the lack of business experience (let alone common sense), and the inability to recognize that needs should have priority over wants ... this is one ticking financial time bomb. 

I wonder how they got approved for a fifth mortgage? I doubt Meri’s LuLaRoe is doing THAT well. 

• Love 2

A mother and daughter stayed at Lizzie's this weekend.  They both wrote reviews on the Facebook page. (Can't copy them). Both said the place was very nice, clean and the food was great. They also both said Bonnie was wonderful. Only one mentioned meeting Meri. They both gave 5 stars.

9 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A mother and daughter stayed at Lizzie's this weekend.  They both wrote reviews on the Facebook page. (Can't copy them). Both said the place was very nice, clean and the food was great. They also both said Bonnie was wonderful. Only one mentioned meeting Meri. They both gave 5 stars.

And it very well COULD be a 5 star experience....except... when you have die-hard fans coming to visit, they aren't unbiased.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Who are "the girls"? Is that Meri's mom and Mariah? I didn't watch for a couple seasons and nobody looks familiar anymore. If that's who it is, are they watching the show from Parowan? Meri looks too happy to be in Vegas. How much fuckery was it that Meri wanted the inn so her mom could live there but not as an innkeeper? Surprise! Obviously, that didn't work out so  I guess it's attempted fuckery. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.