Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Now

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

That was me. All I could think when they were in the storm sewer was that scene from Shawshank Redemption. No, just no. Storm drain sounds so much more hygienic! ;)

I think "the-flowing-water-with-flowers-and-things-place" sounds even MORE hygienic (and nice).

Delurking to say so much word to everyone who felt the characters were acting, well, out of character. I know that to expect any kind of reality in a zombie show is rather dumb. And I was willing to handwave (with a huge eye roll) 2 episodes ago when neither Glenn nor Michonne made any attempt at getting on a roof or in a tree, given the obvious fire escapes and tall gates/fences, or at least seemed a little less at a loss. (And I could even take all of that if we'd seen a brief scene in this episode with Michonne and Heath feeling regret. At least show them checking on Scott? I could barely tell it was Michonne that Deanna was listening to at the start. Guess I'm slow to engage.)

But I'm supposed to think that the man who bit out a jugular, ran down a handcuffed man, engineered a prison takeover that Merle Dixon had told the pirate governor was impossible due to the # of walkers, came up with the (ill conceived, maybe) plan to deal with a quarry of walkers, etc. ... This man's seeming reaction in this episode to walkers surrounding the home of his children is "eh, be quiet and maybe they'll wander off. Think I'll go get a kiss."

Is Rick still in any walkie-talkie contact with the away team? If not, why count on them? Surely he's not. If he's still slightly in panic mode, as he was in the RV, let's explore THAT.

I wrote a few scenes in my head that must have been happening off camera: Carol delivering very special casserole & cookies to Morgan's wolf after teaching the few useful ASZers some skills; Eugene, Heath and Michonne building a catapult or spinning knife contraption to take out walkers by the walls (SOMETHING); more people on perimeter guard; yes, as someone said, Tobin and friends fortifying at least a couple of houses as backup; Father Gabriel leading prayers for Glenn and Nicholas b/c at least someone other than Maggie should care (Nick's son?) ... Stuff and thangs instead of speechifying (or at least more clearly going on in the background of speechifying). Sigh.

Then again, this IS the lot that slept with open cell doors at the prison.

Edited by EllenC
  • Love 12

... Oh, and in my head I had Morgan babysitting Judith. Because if wolfie gets out and threatens her, M  should be the one to have to kill said W. (And I can only assume no one has shared Morgan's pacifist actions with Rick.)

Although I keep thinking that at some point, FPP, who now has weaponry IIRC, HAS to play a bigger role, right?

Clearly I'm overthinking this.

Edited by EllenC

I didn't see the ending with Rick in the RV as a cliffhanger really. To me it was a jarring moment on which to hang a traumatic episode. I was floored by the sight of Rick panicking. He looked defeated and that's not a look I'm used to seeing on him. It haunted me for days, but I didn't really worry about him. I didn't know how he'd get out of that situation but I never doubted he would. It was the panic on his face that stayed with me.

• Love 2

Definitely a hugely traumatic episode, as was the one before with the wolves' attack. (That one gave me nightmares and the zombies barely scare me at this point.) This week's shifted so much focus, though, to the Alexandrians and their reactions. (Regardless of the Morgan episode.) I hope we will get to see a little more of our group's reactions to everything that has gone on. Obviously everything can't be on camera and I don't need everything shown to me, but the emotional tone/storyline of this episode just seemed odd and choppy to me. I feel like Jessie keeps saying the same things and they're only trying to make me care about some of these newcomers because they're cannon fodder. I have enough characters that I actually do care about who haven't had much to do this season.

End repetitive rant. : )

Edited by EllenC
  • Love 2

To be fair, that is not all that happened. She shared what the struggle has been for those not lucky enough to have been in Alexandria. He eventually saw what she meant. They worked together. And it's not because they're both black, and I don't necessarily think they need to hook up. It's just that I saw more chemistry with the two actors in their short time together than I've seen with Danai and Andy. Danai has chemistry with everyone because she's amazing, but I don't see any extra chemistry with Andy like I did with the actor playing Heath. Yes, they both happen to be black, but that is not a factor in what I saw.

Everyone has their own view on things, of course, but it is really not a matter of opinion that there was more conversation and interaction than him throwing shade and her saying "shut up".

I too thought she had major chemistry with Heath.  She has chemistry with everyone, but I think she has more with Daryl, Heath, and God help me Dolphin Smooth.  I've never seen more then a friendship with Rick chemistry wise.  She has more chemistry with Carl than Rick. 

She really is! Such a small woman, but badass Tina Turner arms. I think she looks exactly like any 62-year-old who has already put in some interesting time on the planet, and given the back of her hand to chasing the visage of a younger person. Like Vanessa Redgrave, Genevieve Bujold, Charlotte Rampling, and Judi Dench--to name just four of many--Tovah Feldshuh fully inhabits her older self in a way that embraces reality. We don't expect a 40-year-old to look like a 10-year-old; why on earth do we expect a 60-year-old to resemble a 30-year-old?

I think given some time to shake off her current disorientation, Carol and Deanna could make a nifty matriarchal cohort. :)

I always wondered why actresses would do all that botox and change their looks so drastically that they end up looking like weird picasso versions that are stretched over a tight canvas.  Then I read this thread and holy Jesus are people harsh on someone who aged naturally.  The actress is a mountain climber and big outdoors person so I'm sure she was more worried about experiencing life than staying out of the sun and buying the latest beauty products.  Good for her!

• Love 10
Is Rick still in any walkie-talkie contact with the away team? If not, why count on them? Surely he's not. If he's still slightly in panic mode, as he was in the RV, let's explore THAT.

That really stuck out to me. I kept wondering WHERE that walkie-talkie was? Has he even attempted to contact anyone? So many glaring omissions. 

Huh, I would have never thought of the actor who plays Aaron as handsomer than the one who plays Spencer but I'm a guy so what would I know.

I can see how people would find Spencer attractive, but he does nothing for me. Aaron on the show is okay, but Ross Marquand with shorter hair and a beard is HOT. I'm like, "Please let him go out on a the road for a few weeks so he can develop some scruff."

• Love 5

Just a couple comments since I'm 3 days and still 3 pages behind. I'm surprised when Jessie offered Sam cookies he didn't run screaming and lock himself in the safe closet. The kid is probably still having nightmares about cookies.

And at the end of season 5 we had Rick covered in walker blood, barely holding it together while Deanna tried to calm him. This epi we had Deanna covered in walker blood, barely holding it together while Rick tried to calm her.

One more thing.  I think if everyone can keep quiet (Rick), the walkers might get bored and distracted and wander off on their own. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

From what I recall, I think Rick and Daryl stumbled across the Walker Quarry when he went out looking for Ron.  Somebody that came before had arranged two semitrucks in a V formation to block the walkers from leaving the quarry.  Walkers would wander around, fall into the pit, and not be able to get out.  What I've never understood about those semitrucks were that the trailers were still on the rig and had wheels.  There were huge gaps underneath the trailer.  We have seen walkers crawl underneath cars before.  I don't understand why more of them weren't getting out.  Seemed like occasionally, one would squeeze through the small gap.

Rick noticed that the rock was crumbling, and that it was only going to be a matter of time before the semitruck stopper fell and failed.  If that happened, the walkers would parade as a horde down the road, which led straight to Alexandria.  So he built that corrugated steel diversion fence which was going to make the horde turn down another road.  As long as Daryl, Sasha and Abraham acted as bait and got the head of the horde to follow them down that other road, then the horde doesn't make it to Alexandria.  They wanted to lead them 20 miles out, and then presumably, the horde would just keep going the same direction, or they would disperse in that area.  But not near Alexandria.

Well - they were able to park about 4,000 cars along the roadside in pretty short order, maybe they should have just parked a few more trucks in front of the quarry road preventing a trickle exodus verses am mass exodus?

• Love 3

Lucky you. All I could think of was Pennywise with a balloon...

Now I've got an image of Well Walker somehow gaining speech and telling Glenn "We all bloat down here. We all BLOAT!"

Regarding Rick's mystery RV escape, upon rewatch, it didn't seem like there were too many walkers around the driver's side and the field looked fairly clear. Rick probably wouldn't have much trouble button-hooking through any he came across and sprinting to Alexandria. Especially if he got an adrenaline dump from seeing the baby food and thinking his kids were in danger.

tumblr_nwv1h1elVk1u41873o1_400.png

• Love 2
Just a couple comments since I'm 3 days and still 3 pages behind. I'm surprised when Jessie offered Sam cookies he didn't run screaming and lock himself in the safe closet. The kid is probably still having nightmares about cookies.

LOL, I didn't even think about that, but you are so right. At the very least he should have inquired, "Are you sure YOU baked those???"

• Love 1

She really is! Such a small woman, but badass Tina Turner arms. I think she looks exactly like any 62-year-old who has already put in some interesting time on the planet, and given the back of her hand to chasing the visage of a younger person. Like Vanessa Redgrave, Genevieve Bujold, Charlotte Rampling, and Judi Dench--to name just four of many--Tovah Feldshuh fully inhabits her older self in a way that embraces reality. We don't expect a 40-year-old to look like a 10-year-old; why on earth do we expect a 60-year-old to resemble a 30-year-old?

I think given some time to shake off her current disorientation, Carol and Deanna could make a nifty matriarchal cohort. :)

Sorry but those other women you listed appear normal for their age and ethnicity. Tovah's skin is on a whole different level.

I was only thinking about alcohol because the only sewer I've ever been in was converted into a bar.

Where is this, if you don't mind?

I don't know why anyone, Michonne, Carol, or anyone would be thinking about getting involved romantically in this world.  More than likely your love will end up walker chow.  Why put yourself through that kind of anguish?  For that matter I can't understand why Glenn and Maggie would want to bring a baby into this world either.  Let the human race die out and let the world return to a paradise.  (Too dark?)

I embarrassed my son some time ago by telling him that Denai has the most beautiful butt on TV. [/shallow]

Edited by Haleth

Where is this, if you don't mind?

I was travelling for work to Belgium.  Antwerp has sewer systems that are hundreds of years old that they stopped using and the government made them public.  There are some bars and walking tours and I'm sure other things.  The bar was basically several long picnic tables in a big round underground brick pipe. 

• Love 3

The last two episodes are a BRILLIANT case study in how to complety loose all momentum in what was an epic start to the season.

After last weeks Morganfest we Michonne..probably played by a body double telling Maggie at a distance about Glen, Carol and Heath are out taking a powder. Morgan gets a two second cameo and Rosita who appeared at a distance wtih Maggie and Michonne returns for a walk on at the end with Spencer-Douche.

Meanwhile Eugene who was also absent I believed was being set up as the "Doctors" love intersest and suddenly she is kissing Tara? What the hell! Finally we dont even see Rick's escape from the RV...happens off scream.

Also the early focus on Deana...was making tremble we were about to get flashbacks to her backstory of founding Alexandria. Thank goodness they didn't go in that direction.

• Love 4

After last weeks Morganfest we Michonne..probably played by a body double telling Maggie at a distance about Glen, Carol and Heath are out taking a powder. Morgan gets a two second cameo and Rosita who appeared at a distance wtih Maggie and Michonne returns for a walk on at the end with Spencer-Douche.

Meanwhile Eugene who was also absent I believed was being set up as the "Doctors" love intersest and suddenly she is kissing Tara? What the hell! Finally we dont even see Rick's escape from the RV...happens off scream.

Everyone but Carol was actually there and not a body double.  I rewatched Rick's big speech because I was trying to prove that Michonne was a stand in as some kind of AMC cost saving scheme and picked out all CDB that was supposed to be in ASZ from the front.  But this is probably the biggest indictment of the last couple episodes. If you are thinking about how the sausage is made, you probably aren't enjoying your dinner.  If you find that the audience is overwhelmingly nitpicking episode structure rather than discussing storyline or characters, then your momentum is worse than dead.

• Love 1

The last two episodes are a BRILLIANT case study in how to complety loose all momentum in what was an epic start to the season.

It's just terrible. The start of the season was pretty damn good, but these last two episodes commit the number one television sin ... they're boring.

Edited by Jack Kerouac
  • Love 3

Also the early focus on Deana...was making tremble we were about to get flashbacks to her backstory of founding Alexandria. Thank goodness they didn't go in that direction.

Oh my gawd, you put that out into the universe. Take it back, take it back!

• Love 5

Now I've got an image of Well Walker somehow gaining speech and telling Glenn "We all bloat down here. We all BLOAT!"

Regarding Rick's mystery RV escape, upon rewatch, it didn't seem like there were too many walkers around the driver's side and the field looked fairly clear. Rick probably wouldn't have much trouble button-hooking through any he came across and sprinting to Alexandria. Especially if he got an adrenaline dump from seeing the baby food and thinking his kids were in danger.

tumblr_nwv1h1elVk1u41873o1_400.png

Or maybe he just ate the baby food himself. Getting something besides worms and acorns into his body had sort of a Popeye effect.

• Love 4

I don't know why anyone, Michonne, Carol, or anyone would be thinking about getting involved romantically in this world. More than likely your love will end up walker chow. Why put yourself through that kind of anguish? For that matter I can't understand why Glenn and Maggie would want to bring a baby into this world either. Let the human race die out and let the world return to a paradise. (Too dark?)

Yeah - this isn't a show I find myself shipping couples on. That's only gonna end in disappointment!

I am smad about Maggie being pregnant. Why on earth would anyone risk bringing a child into this world....Glenn and Maggie are smarter than that but I guess accidents happen even in the apocalypse! And a preggers Maggie does not on any way, shape or form make up for a dead Glenn for me (if he really is walker chow)

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 5

So where was Michonne, and the 2 Alexandria guys?

Unless my eyes deceived me, I thought I saw Michonne front and centre with her katana out when they opened the gate for Rick to run in.

Other random thoughts:  Spencer was a douche, but his comments to Deanna was right on.  She made her family the way they are, she made the town whimpy and weak by allowing them to hide behind the walls and not learn to fight, farm or generally survive.  As far as her farm drawing:  Soybeans Deanna!  Protein, essential fats and carbs!  C'mon...Alfalfa?? Really??

While I don't really disagree with Spencer's comments to Deanna, I'm not sure how should could have trained them to be fighters. I don't think their community had any cops, soldiers etc. who could have shown them how to fight. I don't think they trusted recruiting a bunch of armed people and bringing them to Alexandria.

Also, if Daryl were there, he could be picking them off one by one (quietly) from the top of the wall.  The fallen walkers could create a bigger barrier to the oncoming walkers.

I'm not sure killing them at the wall is a good idea though...eventually the bodies will pile up and walkers will be able to scale the bodies to get over the wall.

Standing at the top of a wall, in full view of the gathering horde, may not be the best move.Just sayin'.

I was also amused at them all standing in full view of the walkers...all the better to keep them interested and pressed up against the wall. Maybe peek over the top rather than just stand tall and be easily visible?

On a shallow note- Carl's hair is the worst. Please stop it.

I literally recoiled from the screen when he appeared.

Okay, I just finished watching the episode and found I have a couple things in common with Jessie.   Firstly, every time the Unfair Wolves attack my neighborhood I always go home after the killing is done and bake cookies for the neighborhood kids.

I would like to know why there were only, like, 8 cookies on the tray. Who bakes EIGHT cookies?

Gotcha...never remember what he looks like

He's the one who stands around saying nothing, looking pale and tragic....  ;)

I can only assume that all this attention on the ASZers is to try and get us to care about them but it's just not working for me. I guess I'd have some kind of reaction if Aaron died, but that's it. Literally everyone else there is cannon fodder as far as I'm concerned.

The show is spending way too much time talking about Glenn's fate for me to spare even a second believing that he's dead. Maggie being pregnant feels like the show working overtime to make me give a shit about her impending joyful reunion with Glenn (full disclosure: I won't give a shit because I find M/G boring as hell). And the fact that they got themselves knocked up just puts Maggie/Glenn in the Lori camp for me and that's just disappointing.

• Love 1

I'm not sure Gimple really knows what "work wife" means.

Or he doesn't understand Pam & Jim.

And I rubber stamp that Firefly is never, never wrong. Ever.

Blasphemy! Gimple is never wrong [/sarcasm]

On topic: I think the goo seeping through the walls at the end is walker goo but I wish it was Spencer goo.

Edited by JBody
  • Love 1

Blasphemy! Gimple is never wrong [/sarcasm]

On topic: I think the goo seeping through the walls at the end is walker goo but I wish it was Spencer goo.

The goo looks new...so maybe there is a chance if it is new goo!

• Love 1

I would like to know why there were only, like, 8 cookies on the tray. Who bakes EIGHT cookies?

A mother who doesn't want her youngest son amped up on a sugar high and bouncing off the walls?

Seriously, I've baked half a dozen cookies at a time because I'm the only one who eats them, and I prefer them fresh and warm.

A mother who doesn't want her youngest son amped up on a sugar high and bouncing off the walls?

Seriously, I've baked half a dozen cookies at a time because I'm the only one who eats them, and I prefer them fresh and warm.

Clearly Jessie needs to up her cookie game if she wants to compete with Carol as far as connecting with her son. Jessie couldn't lure her son down the stairs; Carol ended up with a new shadow, pestering her to make more!!!  ;)

• Love 3

The other eight are for Rick. Duh, she's rationing!

Chewy, gooey goo?

One of Eastman's GooGoo Clusters?

Clearly Jessie needs to up her cookie game if she wants to compete with Carol as far as connecting with her son. Jessie couldn't lure her son down the stairs; Carol ended up with a new shadow, pestering her to make more!!!  ;)

Carol wouldn't have even tried to lure him down the stairs with cookies. She'd just push his ass down the stairs and then say, "You're on the ground floor now. It happened. Deal with it and move on". 

• Love 2

Hello Everyone. Please, let's move on from the shipping talk in this episode thread. We are going off topic by analyzing the various friendships and romantic relationships that have occured throughout the six seasons.

That said, it appear we had no where else to talk about this...Until now! I created a thread that will allow everyone to discuss these varying relationships that have occured, that may occur, or are current as of now.

Love in the Time of Walkers - Relationships in the Walking Dead.

The posts above that only discuss relationships in The Walking Dead-verse will be moved to the above thread, where it is more appropriate. Any questions about the thread, please ask! Thanks.

Maggie being pregnant feels like the show working overtime to make me give a shit about her impending joyful reunion with Glenn (full disclosure: I won't give a shit because I find M/G boring as hell).

I can join that line. Call me cynical, but I've found their undying, Harlequin romance-type, true LOVE to be dreary and tedious, especially since I've never noted a single spark of any kind between them, not even in the  "I'll have sex with you" courting stage.

I don't think their community had any cops, soldiers etc. who could have shown them how to fight. I don't think they trusted recruiting a bunch of armed people and bringing them to Alexandria.

Seriously. I think if I were in a ZA, I'd be like the Aszhats, wiping my granite countertops, baking cookies, fluffing my pillows and pretending everything was just ducky.

• Love 2

Silly me!  I thought the wall was cracking, not bleeding.  If that IS blood, I want a reason why the wall is bleeding even more than I want a reason why two semi-intelligent adults would want to bring a baby into this World.   I am putting out my prediction now....baby will be a boy and his name will be Herschel (or Herschel Glenn if it turns out Glenn is walker chow).

• Love 1

Carol wouldn't have even tried to lure him down the stairs with cookies. She'd just push his ass down the stairs and then say, "You're on the ground floor now. It happened. Deal with it and move on". 

I am very glad that I wasn't drinking anything when I read this or else my keyboard would be fucked. :D

• Love 5

Hey, now, since they got in ASZ, Carol has been telling RICK what to do.  She's been cold and calculating and ready.  We haven't seen her show any suffering since the Wolf rampage.  And we haven't seen her at ALL since.

Also, I don't know why people think it's some imposition or diss to watch L'il Asskicker.  They all love her.  Carol and Tyrese were caring for her on their own for a while.  I'd think that when the other tasks involve getting sprayed in walker goo or burying bodies, spending time with one of the last living children on earth would be pleasant.  Also, in this case, it's part of Carol's den mother cover story.  At the prison she was on the ruling council.  She's never been just a babysitter.

Somewhere someone posted that Michonne was just stuck "babysitting" when that task involves defending her from man and zombie.  It takes way more than ovaries.  When Rick asked Michonne to stay with Judith and Carl, it was because might never come back.

You know when I wrote that, I had just seen the episode (re-runs on channel 11)  where Carol trys to leave in the car and Daryl catches her (they were at FPP church). For some reason I thought that was happening at the same time as the ASZ storyline. So, my thoughts on Carol are not as accurate as I thought! 

But, I can say the following with some authority: you know that TWD has really infected your thinking when you see road kill on the side of the road and you exhibit a knee-jerk reaction and look LONGER to ascertain that it isn't actually a walker! 

But, I can say the following with some authority: you know that TWD has really infected your thinking when you see road kill on the side of the road and you exhibit a knee-jerk reaction and look LONGER to ascertain that it isn't actually a walker!

...or you read a story like this and catch yourself thinking, "Hmmm... Random strange items in the news about people claiming to see zombies... Isn't this exactly the way you'd expect the Zombie Apocalypse to start...?"

...or you read a story like this and catch yourself thinking, "Hmmm... Random strange items in the news about people claiming to see zombies... Isn't this exactly the way you'd expect the Zombie Apocalypse to start...?"

Didn't you watch Fear? When the ZA starts NO ONE watches the news.

• Love 6

Didn't you watch Fear? When the ZA starts NO ONE watches the news.

My takeaway from FTWD is that so long as I can avoid assholes like that show's "protagonists," I can survive the ZA just fine.

To bring it back to this episode, Diana is now the most well-defined redshirt on the show isn't she?

How many zombies would they have to kill at the front gate every hour to thin that herd?  I feel like it's a middle-school math problem - "If Timmy kills 25 zombies every ten minutes and takes a 30 minute break after every 20 minutes of killing, how long before he kills enough zombies to drive out to the nearest costco and pick up a pasta maker?" 

• Love 6

The Live +3 Day Cable ratings have been reported for this episode:

A lot of cable channels have switched to Live +3-Day ratings as their primary metric, so starting today you’ll get a weekly look at how the scripted shows on cable look after three days.

This isn’t replacing the daily cable ratings posts, which you will still be able to find in the Daily Ratings section. Same-day weekly cable ratings will also continue to post on Tuesdays. Also, the data we receive doesn’t show the 3-day increases for these shows (though that may come in future posts). Rather it’s a snapshot of how these shows look after three days of delayed viewing.

For instance, the Nov. 8 “Walking Dead” grew by 2.6 points in adults 18-49 and added more than 4 million viewers. [Total viewers: 17.113 million.]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/11/13/cable-live-3-ratings-nov-2-8-the-walking-dead-gets-even-bigger/