Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Painfully earnest and a little cheesey. I will stick it out for a while only because of Mehcad Brooks, who really should still be playing a diva athlete in Necessary Roughness instead of slumming it here. Stupid USA channel. 

• Love 2

Why would anyone assume she was?  People can have aunts on both sides... and more importantly cousins on both sides.  One set won't be related to the other even if all are related to you. Alien society or not, that's just genetics and (admittedly) an assumption of similar marriage rules, but that's how it works here.

My memory of the comics is that Kara's Kryptonian Dad is named Zor-El (see, it rhymes with "Jor-El"!). That sets him as the common genetic relative between Kal-El and Kara Zor-El. I can't say I understand why HER name carries her Dad's full name in it and Kal's doesn't, then again stuff like that exists in Earth cultures too.

It's just Kryptonian naming culture.

Females carry their father's full name. Males carry the house name. Names are not changed when individuals marry, even though wives are formally considered members of their husband's house.

For instance even though she is a member of the House of El, Kara's mother is named Alura In-Ze, because her father was In-Ze of the House of Ze.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

I can't believe I got suckered into watching this show! 

The promos gave the impression that she played a mindless slave to her boss, while in her secret identity she was a powerful, heroic, smart, capable woman saving the world in her spare time.

But as it turns out, she's just another ditz acting like a teen bimbo for no apparent reason except it was convenient to the plot line...

• Love 3

I think the show is off to a good start.  The whole airplane scene made me smile.  I like the upbeat tone of the show.  Kind of cool that they made Jimmy Olsen sort of a badass.  Supergirl herself is very likable.  Her sister was played well, and I like the premise of the supervillains coming to earth and the secret organization built to stop them.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

I was a little disappointed with this. I thought all the stuff with her sister and her little government secret alien busting organisation was awful. Is there anything more boring than watching our (super)hero be lectured about how they shouldn't use their super powers?

• Love 4

I agree with the Men in Black element of that show.  If anything, they should have introduced that plotline a little later.  And I thought the way they "introduced" themselves wasn't wise.  As someone else here mentioned, they are lucky she isn't the kind to hold a grudge.   I know it wouldn't necessarily put me in a good frame of mind to help them out.  I just thought that was an unnecessary plot element to throw in during the first episode of a series that you are trying to showcase your star character (aka Supergirl).

But I generally liked the episode.  Most of the characters were well done and likeable.  Though I hope Calista Flockhart's character gets toned down a bit.   She's basically a 1 dimensional caricature at this point. 

I did have a tiny issue with the fight scenes.  She was bascially someone who had never really used her super powers.  And probably never really had to do any fighting because of her super powers.  Yet she was taking on this hardened criminal who also had super powers and knew how to fight.  He should have wiped the floor with her.  No, not because he's a guy and she's a woman.  Believe me any trained female fighter could kick my ass all day long.  And that's the point -- I don't think she was trained in fighting at all.  I suppose I could fanwank and that maybe she did take a self defense course or two to defend herself so she wouldn't have to use her powers.  Or maybe her sister trained her on how to fight these aliens.  But it just seemed to me she was too good for her character who was just starting out in this crime fighting thing.

Other than that somewhat minor thing, I enjoyed the pilot and will be watching this show for awhlie. 

• Love 3

Just because they may be common (although I highly doubt that) doesn't mean they're legal or culturally acceptable everywhere.  They are prohibited by law in 30 states (in fact, it's a criminal offense in five states), and of the states that do permit them, two states permit it with restrictions, and six only allow marriage between first cousins once removed (i.e., second cousins).  I honestly doubt that the show would want to go there (and let's not forget that Kara is actually 13 years Kal's senior chronologically, even though he's now at least six years older than she is physically, mentally, and emotionally because of her time in the Phantom Zone).

I gave my rant on this before...  but just to amuse everybody, let it be known that DC Comics itself DID "go there" (several times) with the two characters...

zcczQeb.jpg

But... this is kind of a trick answer (vs. a trick question). Why? Because I think this was the one version of Supergirl who wasn't related to him (of the many reboots, there was actually one who wasn't). 

And this one.  The trick here being that it was some kind of act to fool Lois Lane into something...

j0r4DHG.jpg

And this one... which is um... just read it (it does however claim that cousin marriage is unlawful on Krypton... even if Supes seems oddly enamored of the idea.

NWUofVv.jpg

And we get to see lots of Superdickery! (google that meme if you don't know the term)

I did have a tiny issue with the fight scenes.  She was bascially someone who had never really used her super powers.  And probably never really had to do any fighting because of her super powers.  Yet she was taking on this hardened criminal who also had super powers and knew how to fight.  He should have wiped the floor with her.  No, not because he's a guy and she's a woman.

I think she outclassed him on the power scale but just wasn't used to exerting enough force. Her hugging her sister a little too hard does imply that she normally has to walk on eggshells because the world and people are too fragile for her.  I dunno, though, it's not like "punch harder" is going to be the solution for every episode.

• Love 2

I think she outclassed him on the power scale but just wasn't used to exerting enough force. Her hugging her sister a little too hard does imply that she normally has to walk on eggshells because the world and people are too fragile for her.  I dunno, though, it's not like "punch harder" is going to be the solution for every episode.

I think I can buy this.

This might be one of those shows I'll check back with for a few episodes before I make a decision, because the Pilot had promise...but I was disappointed.

For one, the whole idea of the Department of Extraterrestrial Operations hating her "being out there" was weak. It's an old and tired trope...for once, I want someone with special powers who does good to be received as good. Supergirl just saved a plane...and you want to tell her to stop being herself?

Rubbish. At least have a good heart to heart and tell her "being a superhero isn't all fun and games"...that's more believable, instead of crushing her spirit.

Besides, the whole premise behind their leeriness towards her "exposure" was completely invalid. Superman's out there, so the aliens are all going to be gunning after him anyway. You should be happy that you've got a new ally now. Plus, it's not like Superman wasn't related to Alura In-Ze...if they wanted revenge against Alura sending them all to prison, they could exact it on Superman. Meaning, they ought to be crapping their pants that Supergirl has taken up the mantle because I can only surmise dealing with Superman is hard enough.

I would have liked it if the DEO spent a good part of the episode "training" Supergirl...if she wants to be in the fight, she should be prepared for it. It was quite clear during this episode that Kara Zor-El had no idea how to really harness her strengths, and sending her unprepared against an alien would be a suicide wish. Which, I guess the DEO wanted, to be morbid for a while...which is still utterly detestable.

I still haven't gotten to Alex, her "sister" that piled lies after lies based simply on jealousy. Why stay on this planet when that is what you get to call "a family"?

I would have liked it, if, in the end, there was some specific reason why the aliens all hate her, because the fact she sent the prison crashing to Earth doesn't do it for me. It's not like she did it on purpose.

As for the rest of the show:

-Loved Jimmy Olsen. Mechad Brooks and Melissa Benoist had some sparks being on the screen together, and it was great that someone believed in the budding Supergirl

-I loved knowing that Calista Flockhart is back, and I think she gets marks for her acting. However, her character, Cat Grant, was extremely one-dimensional and quite irritating. I get it, she's full of herself, but still...does she have some humanity in her?

-I did like the costume sequence. Perhaps the show was a bit politically correct in not using the "midriff" version of her costume, but...Melissa Benoist was a knockout in the final outfit and I like my heroes to be more than just pure sex. It was feminine but also commanded authority...so it was the right mix. Besides, I agree with Kara- I'm not sure I'd wear that midriff version to the beach either.

-I did like seeing Farhan Tahir in a prominent role, and here's hoping he'll actually get to contribute in this series. He's a fine actor, but he needs to do more than just one-off guest appearances.

-Speaking of guest appearances...The Mentalist fan in me had a little squee moment in seeing Owain Yeoman as Vartox. So does this mean Supergirl will get to put the smug Simon Baker in his place?

-Lastly...about Benoist. I love her. She was everything I could ask for and then some- vulnerable, strong, shell-shocked, adorable, confident...she commanded her presence and sold every emotion. If the Pilot had one saving grace, it was seeing the joy that was seeing her.

Overall...it's not bad, but it's not quite what it could be. I think I'd need to see if it improves before I give it a full go.

• Love 1

Okay, this may get me beaned or is probably unpopular, but why does Kara need training? I mean, I don't recall Supes, or other male heroes needing to be trained in fighting when they became superheroes. But because Kara is female? That is the inference I am getting. Yes, she's inexperienced. Well, so was Supes. Batman doesn't count, because Bruce is human, and worked a good portion of his life honing his body and training.

So I guess, I don't see why she needs Alex to help her "train" so she can fight these guys. Or maybe it's because all my knowledge of Kara is from Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited.

• Love 1

Okay, this may get me beaned or is probably unpopular, but why does Kara need training? I mean, I don't recall Supes, or other male heroes needing to be trained in fighting when they became superheroes. But because Kara is female? That is the inference I am getting. Yes, she's inexperienced. Well, so was Supes. Batman doesn't count, because Bruce is human, and worked a good portion of his life honing his body and training.

So I guess, I don't see why she needs Alex to help her "train" so she can fight these guys. Or maybe it's because all my knowledge of Kara is from Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited.

For me, it had nothing to do with her being female. It just seemed apparent to me in her first fight she wasn't exactly up to the task...so she needed training. Furthermore, she did admit on screen that it'd been a while since she'd used her powers and that she was rusty...hence why the plane landing wasn't "completely clean".

Ultimately it was the angle...the show wanted to establish that, at first "she doesn't know what she's getting into" and that should have at least had some preparation. Maybe not so much on ensuring her physical skills, but her mental preparedness and awareness of the situation, i.e. "these guys can hurt you and deflect bullets too- are you prepared for that?"

Personally, I would have loved it if the show didn't go with the whole angle of people who were supposedly her allies telling her she shouldn't be "Supergirl"- I would have preferred her to be taken in with open arms almost instantaneously, with the DEO's only role being "we're glad you decided to take the challenge...just know it won't be easy. We know you can do it though."

All those people- especially those who were supposed to be helping her- criticising her and belittling her for doing a good thing really took me out of the show. It'd better not continue.

• Love 3

All those people- especially those who were supposed to be helping her- criticising her and belittling her for doing a good thing really took me out of the show. It'd better not continue.

Yes that annoyed me. I really didn't understand it.  Those Kryptonian bad guys are here, two "people of steel" or not. Do they think they can really hide Kara? What really bothered me was the crazy hero worship of "him", you know, that guy, the Krptonian that shall not be named, him, the guy hero, the one without a skirt.  OMG that is going to be tough if they can't say Superman. But I hated that Kara seemed to worishp him like she could never be as good as him. First, huh? And second, you were sent to protect him -- the fact that he doesn't need you don't mean that you are less than him or need to lick his boots. God that attitude annoyed me.  And I didn't think it was credible. I would imagine she would seethe when her cousin would get the world gushing over his bravery and she would resent him getting to be the earth savior when she could too.  I hope they drop all mention of him going forward.

• Love 3

I think she was in awe of him because of his heroics, not because he didn't need her to protect him.  And as for Kara resenting him for being a hero...she could have caped up earlier if she wanted to, there's more than enough tragedy in the world to go around that she could be solving.  Instead she decided to live a normal life even though she's got godlike power, that's squarely on her.  Which is also the most implausible thing for me.  I can understand why she might not utilize super strength in her life but she can fly and she's in a city with a bunch of skyscrapers?  Instead of having lunch in the employee cafeteria she could be eating on the top of a building enjoying the view.

• Love 2

Instead she decided to live a normal life even though she's got godlike power, that's squarely on her.  Which is also the most implausible thing for me.  I can understand why she might not utilize super strength in her life but she can fly and she's in a city with a bunch of skyscrapers?  Instead of having lunch in the employee cafeteria she could be eating on the top of a building enjoying the view.

There are also tons of jobs where she could be phenomenal because of her powers without overtly using them. Why be an assistant who can reheat her boss' coffee without using the microwave? (other than so that you can talk about your unused potential)

BTW, once you enter a zone where time doesn't pass, how do you get out? You're frozen. If the show explained this, I missed it.

• Love 1

As for the Felicity Smoak, thing, I have to argue that the Super-people with red capes had glasses before a side character on the CW did.

I know! It's like complaining that Romeo and Juliet rips off West Side Story

I'm not the original poster, but I too did think of Felicity from Arrow with Supergirl (and I don't even watch Arrow). It's not that Kara has glasses--it's the whole stereotypical affect they gave Kara. "I'm actually this super hot, really smart woman but I see myself as nerdy and I'm going to stumble all over my words and be awkward and babble because I don't have the self-confidence to realize how awesome I am and think I'm mousy, except when I get going on a rant, then my inner awesomeness comes out and I am confident and everything!" They made her into the same character type as Felicity. And, tbh, the woman who plays Felicity carries it off better (or at least she did in S1 Arrow, I haven't really watched since).

As I said above, I hope they drop the stammering, awkward girl thing for Kara. It doesn't play to Benoist's strengths as an actress, and there are other, way less stereotypical ways to show that she lacks self-confidence. Just let her be a mellow ray of sunshine!

• Love 4

It is for most other heroes these days...

• Love 2

Overall, I liked it. Certain elements were rushed, but at least you can't say they haven't gotten to the main story.

I'll watch it again next week, certainly. But there are few nit picks.

I'm sure somebody asks this every time there's a new version of the Superman mythos, but I'm gonna be that guy. Why don't all the Kryptonians just leave their dying planet and move to a yellow sun? Seems pretty win-win.

If I had Super powers, and was fighting someone who was tougher than me and could jump 50 feet but couldn't fly, I'd throw bricks at him from a hundred feet up.

And... does Kara need glasses? So, like, as Supergirl, she's going to have trouble reading?

Or, even though she had no double identity thing going on , has she just randomly been disguising herself as a nerd by wearing clear glasses every day?

I'm sure somebody asks this every time there's a new version of the Superman mythos, but I'm gonna be that guy. Why don't all the Kryptonians just leave their dying planet and move to a yellow sun? Seems pretty win-win.

Why some don't move JUST to get powers is never explained well in any version.

Why they don't move when the planet blows up IS explained. The powers that be don't believe Jor-El when he tells them the planet is doomed. They push back against him really hard, making sure he can't even tell the public.  The only person who believes him is his brother, which is how the hook with Supergirl going started (even though they didn't come up with that for several years after the origin had already been told without that).  It's also the excuse for the ships being child sized--they're built in secret to hide what they're doing from the authorities.  Jor-El is already seen as a troublemaker/rabble-rouser and I think the idea is he'd have been arrested and imprisoned if he'd either made more noise, or did something the authorities noticed, like build a ship big enough for anything other than a baby. The legend being changed so that his brother built one big enough for a fairly slightly built 12 year old was pushing that concept a little, but not much.

And... does Kara need glasses? So, like, as Supergirl, she's going to have trouble reading?

Or, even though she had no double identity thing going on , has she just randomly been disguising herself as a nerd by wearing clear glasses every day?

This is a bit of nonsense they got wrong. As you say, she had no reason to wear glasses. The only kludge/fan-wank I can think of is that she went out of her way to look plain for some other reason (some false belief fostered by Alex that shed be safer if she "blended in"). Really its weak either way. That said, it's not enough to topple the whole setup. It's just a silly bit of setup we'll have to ignore.

• Love 1

My nitpick, if the villain is a fellow Kryptonian, how come when the ax explodes he gets injured while Kara does not?

As someone else pointed out, the villain isn't a fellow Kryptonian. At the end when Lt. Bad Guy is expositioning to Astra (sp?) that Vartox killed himself rather than be captured, Astra scoffed like, "Typical of his race."

We know Astra is Kryptonian, therefore Vartox is not (or at least, is not considered as such by Astra).

Also, Vartox had some sort of head deal-io that signified he was different from Kryptonians, who outwardly are identical to humans.

The show seemed to be stuck trying to explain things that really don't add up: 

a) Trying to defend the use of 'girl'. I would like to see all of Cat's employees and associates refer to her as a girl on a regular basis. 

b) Kara has to hear about "Him" from other people? He can't call? He can't visit? He can't help her learn about her abilities?

c) "He" cannot deliver the blanket/cape himself? 

d) "He" discovered Kara's spacecraft -- but somehow it ended up in possession of the US Gov. ... along with personal artifacts from Kara's mother? 

e) Kara can fly  ... but never got around to trying? Seriously? It's almost as if she has major emotional issues. 

f) Didn't Kara have a father, too? They are hitting the "females first" button way too hard. 

g) Kara needs this job as an abused assistant for Cat now? She is going to help people only during her spare time? She can't work with her sister? 

h) .... and the list goes on ....

I would have liked a show with an actual teenage-d Kara, with the mixture of excitement, confusion, anger, head-strong opinions, etc -- you know, the types of highs and lows an actual teenage girl would have...

This show seems to be more interested in cliches about empowerment (but not really) , sisterly affection/competition , mother issues, etc. 

Re: E, Kara says she hadn't flown in years. That could be because she wanted to be normal, or because sis/mom/dad advised her to keep a low profile. But she's flown.

Re: Superman, the biggest problem I have is that apparently he has done jack about a full prison of super-powered criminals having escaped from the Phantom Zone for the past 12 years. OK, maybe that's not fair...but he certainly hasn't made it a priority.

Re f: Zor-El was depicted, and I don't mind Alura being put in the spotlight over him, given that decades of portrayals of Lara, and of Martha Wayne and various other mothers have really played down their roles.

Re g: I do wish they'd killed the secret ID thing, but that is too much to ask for. Kara apparently voluntarily enjoys being yelled at and such. The classic version of why her cuz worked at the Daily Planet was because doing so would put him in the thick of things and let him know where he could best go help.

The stated reason why Kara was working at CatMedia was wanting to spread the girl power. Bleh. There are probably a million ways for her to better do that, even putting aside superpowers.

I did have a tiny issue with the fight scenes.  She was bascially someone who had never really used her super powers.  And probably never really had to do any fighting because of her super powers.  Yet she was taking on this hardened criminal who also had super powers and knew how to fight.  He should have wiped the floor with her.  No, not because he's a guy and she's a woman.  Believe me any trained female fighter could kick my ass all day long.  And that's the point -- I don't think she was trained in fighting at all.  I suppose I could fanwank and that maybe she did take a self defense course or two to defend herself so she wouldn't have to use her powers.  Or maybe her sister trained her on how to fight these aliens.  But it just seemed to me she was too good for her character who was just starting out in this crime fighting thing.

Since Vartox isn't a Kryptonian, I think it's fairly safe to say that she is far more powerful than he is. The only reason it was anywhere close to a fair fight is because Kara doesn't know what the hell she is doing.

In most incarnations of Superman and other superheroes, we are seeing them well into their careers.

But in some, we do see them learn on the job. Flash gets trained in all sorts of aspects of super-speed in his first season, both by Reverse-Flash and by Arrow.

In flashbacks, we see Arrow learn how to shoot and fight and all sorts of stuff.

Supergirl is in her first outings and isn't necessarily ready to deal with all that's out there. She barely saved the planeload of people. She got taken down by the DEO. Vartox beat her pretty handily in her first go-around, and had a good chance at winning the second time.

She definitely could use some training in how to maximize her abilities and in basic tactics.

• Love 3

I will watch it for a while. But the lead needs to stop trying so hard

i couldn't disagree more.

The way Melissa Benoist is playing this is the biggest saving grace. That earnestness and enthusiasm is what makes it the antithesis of the grim n' gritty bullshit that's everywhere else in comic adaptations.  Every other such hero is world weary or wounded or reluctant. This one isn't, and it's a shame I think you're seeing that as "trying too hard".

Earnestness is in my opinion the single hardest thing to act, because I don't think our society reacts to it very well anymore. Which is a shame.

• Love 3

There was one thing in the pilot that, upon further reflection,  really seemed wrong : Supergirl had been responding to emergency calls and was on the way to help with a fire, but instead was ambushed by the government (although maybe an overzealous task force). She is literally shot out of the sky and strapped to a lab table. 

If that were my young cousin, who was only trying to help people,  there would be nothing left of that army base but rubble  (after allowing all employees to evacuate, of course). That was a huge betrayal by her sister who could have easily brought Kara in without the dramatics (Tho I know dramatics was the reason for it.) . What would "He" think after learning what type of people he had left his only surviving family member with? 

That's the problem with having "He who shall not be named" always 'out there' but never present. If he never comes to help Kara and never checks up on her, he looks like a real super douche. 

But Kara's personality is also a problem. It's like she is the ultimate super wallflower. As others have said, the insecure, klutzy, mousy girl seems to be who she really is -- and is not a disguise she uses to blend in with the humans. Was she a mousy Kryptonian girl until age 12? And does she somehow enjoy being the whipping girl in a Devil Wears Prada job situation? 

How many pep talks is Kara going to need each week  from different cast members? (This episode alone she got speeches from Jimmy, her sister, her hologram-Mom, and kinda-sorta from Cat.)  

This does not seem like a good basis for girl empowerment -- because I get the feeling the show wants to keep Kara as the mousy girl with low self confidence. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

This does not seem like a good basis for girl empowerment -- because I get the feeling the show wants to keep Kara as the mousy girl with low self confidence. 

Let me ask this... if she started super-confident and accomplished in the pilot, where would the show go?  How would they develop the character.

It's my opinion that the arc they intend IS to show her developing confidence. It will manifest mostly inside the cape, but I'd venture to guess they'll have to have some of it leak through to her other life too. But not too much, or she turns into the cliche of the superhero we the viewers/readers/audience can't identify with.  Who's "perfect" and so perfectly beyond us.

This is the trap. Many people have been reacting to what we saw in the pilot like it's an endpoint, not a beginning point.  But even as we push on further to the... let's call them "middle points" since nobody knows how long the show will last... we still need conflict to drive plots. We still need mistakes to drive character. Kara's non-cape-wearing side HAS to be "human" (I don't mean that in the biological sense, but the general character one), because if she's not then we have just another Super-Dick (see above references to "SuperDickery"). The smug know it all perfect Superhero barely works in comics (which is why even Superman has to have human drama manufactured for him, or it would be all "battling world destroying threats" and nothing else).

The Pep talks do clearly need to wind down, sure. But they made sense in a pilot.

• Love 5
Well I actually really liked it.  I think they might be going overboard with the female hero, female power boss, AND female villain, but I love the dynamics between Kara and her sister so I'm probably going to buy in awhile longer.

Male led superhero shows tend to focus heavily on  male relationships (male villains, male best friends, male work partners), so I dont see why one of the very few female led superhero shows shouldn't have female characters and female relationships at the forefront. Its quite accepted for a show to be male dominated and have many male characters in important roles, so yeah I think female (superhero) led shows  should be able to prioritize female characters & female relationships too. Its should be "normal" for a show to be female dominated too and its also under-represented on (superhero) TV, hence should be embraced/celebrated for a show like this. JMO. 

I hope they drop all mention of him going forward.

I sort of hope so too, though I wouldnt mind a few allusions to him once in a while.

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 7

Maybe this will be unpopular, but I'm thinking Superman should have been killed in the Pilot. That way, you establish some urgency to the situation and give Supergirl a reason for being there. I could also more credibly buy the DEO's insistence that she “hide herself” (since they don't want to lose her too), one she could easily counteract by reminding the DEO that she is all they've got left.

• Love 2

Maybe this will be unpopular, but I'm thinking Superman should have been killed in the Pilot. That way, you establish some urgency to the situation and give Supergirl a reason for being there. I could also more credibly buy the DEO's insistence that she “hide herself” (since they don't want to lose her too), one she could easily counteract by reminding the DEO that she is all they've got left.

She already had a reason for being there -- she realized that the Earth DOES need another superpowered Kryptonian, since even Superman can't be everywhere at once.  It just took a while to undo what living with the "blend in at all costs" mentality had done to her.  As Alura implied in both her parting words to Kara before she left Argo City and in her holographic message to her years later, there was a reason that Kara and Kal had both been sent to a planet where they would have great superpowers -- and it wasn't just so they could heat up their beverages without using the microwave.

As for the poster who lamented that Kara needs training while Kal apparently never did?  Not true.  Kal DID have to undergo some self-training (with the help of his foster parents) in order to learn to use his powers properly.  Likewise, in the comics, Kara's first two years on Earth were spent in complete secrecy -- Kal insisted on having her avoid revealing her existence to the world so that he would have time to train her in the use of her powers and so she would have time to adjust to Earth's way of doing things, and he was quite strict about enforcing that rule for a very good and practical reason.  Remember, she had spent her entire life up to that point in a completely different and more advanced culture and had simply known nothing else.  Kal, on the other hand, had been raised on Earth since infancy and only learned about his Kryptonian heritage and the origin and nature of his powers (even though they had manifested themselves from the moment he arrived on Earth) many years later.  So he'd already been through the necessary self-training by the time Kara arrived.  She, on the other hand, still had a steep learning curve ahead of her, as she does now on the show.

Edited by legaleagle53

She already had a reason for being there -- she realized that the Earth DOES need another superpowered Kryptonian, since even Superman can't be everywhere at once. It just took a while to undo what living with the "blend in at all costs" mentality had done to her. As Alura implied in both her parting words to Kara before she left Argo City and in her holographic message to her years later, there was a reason that Kara and Kal had both been sent to a planet where they would have great superpowers -- and it wasn't just so they could heat up their beverages without using the microwave.

The DEO sure didn't think she was needed, with all those exhortations that she stay hidden and all despite her good heart and courage to face the challenge. I also think it's reprehensible that Supergirl gets tasked with dealing with all these threats and Superman can hang around Metropolis all day flying around and looking pretty.

To me, they need to establish the dynamic between Kara and Kal, and do it soon. Plus, I think if this show isn't going to mention Superman at all, then they shouldn't have him around- period- instead of contriving things to explain his absences.

BTW, once you enter a zone where time doesn't pass, how do you get out? You're frozen. If the show explained this, I missed it.

I'm going out on a limb and saying the Season 2 baddie - who or whatever that is - was responsible for this.

Watched this again, which is really weird considering the backlog on my DVR. I think I have identified what I really like about Benoist's portrayal - Kara is always in motion. She's rocking, she's shifting her weight back and forth, she's fidgeting. I have a kid who's like this, always in motion, almost can't speak or think unless he can move while he's doing it. With Kara, I feel like it's expressing what it's like to be Kryptonian on Earth. The yellow sun hits her like a dose of amphetamines, she has so much energy she's almost vibrating with it. And the way the FX looks it fits right in with this, when she springs into action it's like she's spring loaded and the catch is released. Unlike Superman who had powers as a toddler, she remembers Krypton and was quite normal until she was 12 or 13, when everyone she had ever med died (she thinks). She could be portrayed as traumatized by this, a darker character, but instead she's all "I can fly, wanna see?" and it's charming.

I also kind of get why she has this crappy job - sure she has superpowers, and also she's smart enough for bigger things, but she's a foster kid with ADHD who changed her major 6 times and barely got out of undergrad at a state school in 5 years, and managed to land this gig because of stellar references citing her winning personality. Yes, I get all this from watching her fidget while inappropriately yelling at her boss.

So I thought the script was rushed and hokey, but I like the performance enough that I'm sticking around. For me, all the nonverbal stuff overwhelmed the dialogue anyway, and gave me a real sense of the character.

My biggest regret is that they made the Alex reveal too quickly. The DEO stuff should have come out in maybe Episode 4. Since they didn't take the time to really establish the previous relationship between the sisters, I felt like it felt flat. Alex says she was jealous, but we never saw it. Seeing them interact for a few weeks would have helped us understand how Kara feels about it now. And what job did Kara think Alex had? Secret agent jobs don't really pay that well, do they? The drink she had after the plane crash was freaking Johnny Walker Blue. That stuff runs at least $170 a bottle, you can buy an empty box on eBay for $35 if you want to make your condo look pretentious. I'm not making that up. Prop department fail, or does Alex have a cover as a high powered exec or something?

• Love 4
To me, they need to establish the dynamic between Kara and Kal, and do it soon. Plus, I think if this show isn't going to mention Superman at all, then they shouldn't have him around- period- instead of contriving things to explain his absences.

I think Superman is mentioned by name plenty of times in pilot, the question is whether he will  physically be part of the show. I think thats unlikely due to upcoming DC movies. Perhaps they can say that superman went back to Krypton or living somewhere around the universe?.  Its a big world for a guy who can fly. I think like Gotham the show may be allowed to have a kid Clark/Kal only not an adult Superman, so flashbacks. 

I for one dont wish for Superman to be an actual character in the show, I just want this to be a show about Kara's story, she doesnt need to be in his shadow anymore than she already is.

Edited by WildcardC

I think Superman is mentioned by name plenty of times in pilot, the question is whether he will  physically be part of the show. I think thats unlikely due to upcoming DC movies. Perhaps they can say that superman went back to Krypton or living somewhere around the universe?.  Its a big world for a guy who can fly. I think like Gotham the show may be allowed to have a kid Clark/Kal only not an adult Superman, so flashbacks. 

Flashbacks don't add up. Superman was already an adult (at least a young one at the start of his career) when he pulled Kara from her pod. So he's not been around Kara at any point in his life when he wasn't, other than as a BABY. If you want flashbacks with 12 year oldish Kara on Planet Krypton babysitting Kal-El, that's the only non-grown-up form of him you'd be able to see that involve her.

• Love 2

^Maybe James/Jimmy has some stories to tell about a young Clark in high school and Kara could always visit her aunt & uncle in Kansas for Christmas. Of course I would mostly wish to see flashbacks of Kara as a young alien growing up on earth. 

Edited by WildcardC

Two more things that stuck in my mind about the pilot.

1. Kara's job must pay fairly well for a CEO's assistant. Her apartment is really spacious and I'm assuming National City has a population of at least 500,000+ and she lives downtown.

2. When her tech guy tells her about the armed robbery and asks her if she can stop a bullet, she says "I think so". I guess that she would know Superman can stop bullets and she figures she's also bulletproof, but that's something you'd want to test out first before getting in the way of automatic machine gun fire. See if a knife can cut you or something like that.

Edit: I really like her costume, especially the shirt with the thumb wraps. I don't like the boots though. I think it's the "flare" they have on their top.

Edited by lion10
  • Love 1

I think Superman is mentioned by name plenty of times in pilot, the question is whether he will  physically be part of the show. I think thats unlikely due to upcoming DC movies. Perhaps they can say that superman went back to Krypton or living somewhere around the universe?.. 

It would be rather hard for Superman to return to Krypton (unless he can travel back in time), since it exploded when he was an infant.  That was the reason he and Kara were sent to Earth in the first place.

• Love 3

I don't get why the MIB guys shot her down before even speaking to her. It's not like they were trying to hold her prisoner afterwards. They just wanted to ask her to stay out. So, after the airplane incident, why not start out by sending a government person or two over to talk to her? That way you don't risk her getting mad at you for shooting her out of the sky. You don't risk getting the kryptonite dosage wrong and really hurting or killing her when she falls. And you don't reveal that her best friend/stepsister is spying on her. Nor do you risk missing the shot and having her fly off to another big public event without even knowing that you were trying to talk to her.

• Love 3

Everything about the DEO strikes me as really poor thinking on the part of the writers, for everything you just said.  And that worries me a lot because core world-building concepts like the (anti?)heroes she works with should be thought out more by the pilot stage and they shouldn't be taking the most incredibly dumb methods possible.

(Though to be fair, a lot of superhero comic books have this problem too.)

• Love 2

^Maybe James/Jimmy has some stories to tell about a young Clark in high school and Kara could always visit her aunt & uncle in Kansas for Christmas. Of course I would mostly wish to see flashbacks of Kara as a young alien growing up on earth. 

Jimmy didn't know Clark in High School. Heck, that's true even in the Smallville version (although barely). 

As for Kara visiting the Kents? It has potential, but also danger. There's no way the Danvers know who the Kents are (or who Clark is), so if Kara was integrated into the Kent family in any way it had to be done on the sly. And introducing a mysteries "younger" cousin who disappears totally and who won't tell you where she lives or about her family would look pretty weird to the other people around Smallville and in Metropolis.  Ergo, Kara isn't known as Clark's cousin (even if Supergirl IS known as Superman's cousin).

It would be rather hard for Superman to return to Krypton (unless he can travel back in time), since it exploded when he was an infant.  That was the reason he and Kara were sent to Earth in the first place.

The place he COULD go is Argo CIty, if it exists in this version of the story. Probably not though, since Argo City was the original excuse for Kara showing up later in Clark's life, I believe (in a version where Kara really was younger, and was able to be so because she was from a colony that escaped Krypton being destroyed, although it was later destroyed itself). If it wasn't destroyed, then Supes could there (it clearly no longer being the origin of Supergirl meaning it may or may not exist at all).

Then there's Kandor. The city that got shrunk by Brainiac and put in a bottle. Superman could go there.

But really why bother?  He's constantly busy all over the universe. That's all you have to say.

I think the big problem is not even "rights", it's that they don't want to cast a different Superman than in the movies, but it's also clearly not the same universe. That Superman is a piece of shit, who throws opponents through buildings, is mopey and hated by most people on Earth, not to mention that his timeline is too concurrent with Kara's.  On the other hand, they don't want conflicting faces for the same character out there. They're already going to be facing this problem with The Flash, assuming the TV hangs on a few more years and is around when the Flash movie comes out, and having that situation with Superman is probably even worse for them and their content control.  Saying "it's a multiverse" is nice in theory, but shoving it too much in people's faces probably won't work out well.

• Love 2

As for Kara visiting the Kents? It has potential, but also danger. There's no way the Danvers know who the Kents are (or who Clark is), so if Kara was integrated into the Kent family in any way it had to be done on the sly. And introducing a mysteries "younger" cousin who disappears totally and who won't tell you where she lives or about her family would look pretty weird to the other people around Smallville and in Metropolis.  Ergo, Kara isn't known as Clark's cousin (even if Supergirl IS known as Superman's cousin).

Ah, but in the comics, her alter ego Linda Danvers was held out to be Clark Kent''s cousin.  That said, whether she would have visited the Kents (or even known who they were) depends on whether the Kents are even still alive in this version.  We've been so used to their always being around in adult Kal's life that it's hard to remember that for most of the Superman stories (until the 1986 reboot), the Kents were stated to have died around the time Clark went off to college from a fatal tropical disease that they had contracted while on vacation, making him a double orphan (while, ironically enough, Kara's biological parents managed to survive the destruction of Argo City, eventually giving her TWO sets of parents).  Perhaps this particular version follows that.

Edited by legaleagle53

Since this is an older Superman somewhere in his 30s, I wonder if this is following the model of Jonathan being dead (doesn't he die of a heart attack or something in one of the major versions?) and Martha being a widow.

This opens up the possibility of them casting Martha and her traveling to National City to visit Kara. Of course that would force the show to address what the Danvers do and don't know about the Kents, and by proxy, Superman (and because of Alex, what the DEO knows).

• Love 1

Let me ask this... if she started super-confident and accomplished in the pilot, where would the show go?  How would they develop the character.

They could make it so that it was shown she was actually overconfident, is shown to be overconfident while facing her biggest test yet -- dozens of super-powered villains, headed by her own aunt.

The way things have been framed, for the past 12 years, various supervillains have been lurking around Earth building up their plans for world domination or whatever. Also on a smaller scale, there are 12 years of muggings, bank robberies, plane crashes and other calamities that she apparently did not intervene in. 

If I were to retool it, I would scrap the foster family (we can just have the cameos elsewhere), have Supergirl come to Earth as a 18-yo so that the "girl" part fits, have her start helping people right away (because it kinda makes her look awful to be like "I've always wanted to help people...but inexplicably didn't for the last 12 years."), and have the aliens show up around the same time too and disperse. I would have Kara and Kal communicate via super-secret messaging so that it doesn't look like she got basically left to fend for herself. I'd have the DEO just assign Alex to her as her roomie/handler/etc.

• Love 1

The way things have been framed, for the past 12 years, various supervillains have been lurking around Earth building up their plans for world domination or whatever. Also on a smaller scale, there are 12 years of muggings, bank robberies, plane crashes and other calamities that she apparently did not intervene in. 

If I were to retool it, I would scrap the foster family (we can just have the cameos elsewhere), have Supergirl come to Earth as a 18-yo so that the "girl" part fits, have her start helping people right away (because it kinda makes her look awful to be like "I've always wanted to help people...but inexplicably didn't for the last 12 years."), 

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to say, but I don't think Kara should have been helpig from the get go, because she was 12. Was she supposed to help stop and fight crime during her adolescent years? I mean, I'm sure the public can see that she's young and I don't think they'd be accusing of her of not being there when she was still a kid.

I like to think that Supes helped her with her powers before he left; I'll have to rewatch, but wasn't there a scene with him and Kara, with Kara being played by Benoist and not the 12 year old Kara?

Regarding Superman not being around to help Kara. I don't have a problem with that because Kara does not live in Metropolis.  She's in National City; I'm not familiar with the Supergirl comics so I don't know if that is where she lives; either way, Supes is busy helping people/fighting criminals in Metropolis and Kara is doing the same where she is. If she needs his help, I think she would reach out to him. This is Supergirl, not The Adventures of Superman and Supergirl.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the cynical nature and skepticism of the public that is portrayed in the super hero shows of late.  Though there were some cheesy lines in the Reeve movies, at least the public liked Superman and the cops were grateful for his help. The shows, however, are just the opposite.  I've seen it on Arrow, Flash, and with the DEO, on this show.  Even Smallville, at least, had people who weren't so suspicious of Clark when he was fighting crime when he left Smallville and went to Metropolis.  And though I came to hate that show in its last two seasons or so, I love it as a whole. Besides, if not for Smallville, would we have the shows we have now? I don't think so. And I'll stop here, before I veer too off-topic about how Smallville is an underated show and doesn't deserve all the contempt it gets.

• Love 1

Regarding Superman not being around to help Kara. I don't have a problem with that because Kara does not live in Metropolis.  She's in National City; I'm not familiar with the Supergirl comics so I don't know if that is where she lives; either way, Supes is busy helping people/fighting criminals in Metropolis and Kara is doing the same where she is. If she needs his help, I think she would reach out to him. This is Supergirl, not The Adventures of Superman and Supergirl.

They are people who can fly and have superspeed. It makes little sense that they never visit each other, when they are in the same freaking country, heck they are on the same planet. So yeah I think an explanation will be needed IMO. 

here's no way the Danvers know who the Kents are (or who Clark is), so if Kara was integrated into the Kent family in any way it had to be done on the sly.

I think its too early to know who knows what, so Im just gonna leave it there, will wait and see.

Edited by WildcardC

There was a lot of exposition, but I assume that was necessary in the pilot.  I actually liked the time spent on explaining the rationale for "Supergirl" as appropriate name for a modern female superhero.  The comic's name has to be kept, of course, but the scene told us that Kara sees herself as a Super Woman; ascribing the "girl" choice to the editor makes sense within the story and for that character.  And I think it's almost like a way, perhaps counter-intuitively,  to embrace the term "girl" while not subscribing to the all of the conventional connotations of that word.  For me, the few seconds they spent on that exposition were pretty clever.

I completely agree.  I thought it very clever and effective. 

Yes the dialog was a little clunky but It's a pilot and there are maybe ten pilots in the history of time that didn't have clunky pilots. I like the optimism and that it will not be yet another dark and gritty super hero show. Plus chock full of strong females. Yes there will be some angst in the future but right now I am enjoying the clear skies.

Pilots never are as smooth as one would like because there are so many elements that have to be jammed in to inform the audience of all the relationships and the backstory and a not only a quick glimpse into what the show will be like on a week to week basis but what kind of things can we expect in the future.  Pilots should be judged on if the premise is good and do the actors have chemistry or that it factor.  Everything else can be tweaked. 

It was beautifully filmed.  The plane sequence looked great and when she took hits, they made it matter.  Not everything is perfect but I'll say that about most shows I watch. 

They did say Superman, they said it the first two minutes. 

I don't see where this "They can't say Superman" complaint is coming from. Is it because they are not name dropping him every 2 seconds? It would make sense for Kara to call him "my cousin" rather than by his hero name. He is her cousin. Plus this show is about her, not about him. 

Not understand this problem with referencing Supes as him or her cousin.  And I don't think it happened nearly as often as people are making it out to have been. 

So within a day of debuting as Supergirl, Kara/SG spills about her identify.  Superman made it how long before Lois figured out his identify?  

Overall, this is probably the weakest Super* portrayal in the history of the franchise. Unlike other Supers, she seems more secure in her mild-mannered-personal assistant role than she does in her Supergirl role.  

It should be the other way around.

Clark Kent is bumbling but he never doubts his skill or power  or mission when he put on the cape.  

I'm not trusting this Supergirl to rescue me from the bad guys.

I've been very happy to have had the Supes is the real man and Clark only a disguise be switched around since at least the 90's.  Kara is the real person but when she is allowed to use all her abilities, yeah, she feels a little bit braver, is willing to take a few more risks, makes sense, but is still only an aspect of her personality and who she is, not the only part. 

I can't believe I got suckered into watching this show! 

The promos gave the impression that she played a mindless slave to her boss, while in her secret identity she was a powerful, heroic, smart, capable woman saving the world in her spare time.

But as it turns out, she's just another ditz acting like a teen bimbo for no apparent reason except it was convenient to the plot line...

A ditz acting like a teen bimbo?  Neither was she a teen nor a bimbo, nor a ditz.  She was a bit to speak first think later but the only time we saw her flustered and forgetful was when she was talking with Jimmy who she had an insta crush on.  Nothing portrayed her as stupid or vapid or scatterbrained. .  She was smart and ambitious even if she hadn't figured out how to stand out or make her mark.  She's not even a mindless slave.  She's already shown she has too much backbone if she was treated as a mindless slave.  She burst into her boss's office how many times to address concerns and worries? 

I saw a version of her story were she went and trained with the Amazons on Paradise Island, but that was because she had no ability to control the powers she had when as nearly an adult, her ship surfaces on earth.  This Kara doesn't need to know how to keep her powers under control.  She's got that covered in spades.  She's probably TOO good at controlling her powers.  What she needs is practice with her powers.  And I guess that's what she's going to get each week. 

There are also tons of jobs where she could be phenomenal because of her powers without overtly using them. Why be an assistant who can reheat her boss' coffee without using the microwave? (other than so that you can talk about your unused potential)

They did not explain how she got out of the PZ but it was implied that someday that mystery might be revealed.  I have a feeling that Kara wasn't interested in being an athlete, she probably would see it as cheating anyway. Right now, Kara is an assistant but often assistant to the big boss is a good way to get your foot in the door to the business.  I'm not entirely sure what Kara's ultimate goal is (writer? publisher? boss?) but I got the impression that she hadn't been at this job very long and it wasn't what she'd expected. 

There was one thing in the pilot that, upon further reflection,  really seemed wrong : Supergirl had been responding to emergency calls and was on the way to help with a fire, but instead was ambushed by the government (although maybe an overzealous task force). She is literally shot out of the sky and strapped to a lab table. 

If that were my young cousin, who was only trying to help people,  there would be nothing left of that army base but rubble  (after allowing all employees to evacuate, of course). That was a huge betrayal by her sister who could have easily brought Kara in without the dramatics (Tho I know dramatics was the reason for it.) . What would "He" think after learning what type of people he had left his only surviving family member with? 

That's the problem with having "He who shall not be named" always 'out there' but never present. If he never comes to help Kara and never checks up on her, he looks like a real super douche. 

But Kara's personality is also a problem. It's like she is the ultimate super wallflower. As others have said, the insecure, klutzy, mousy girl seems to be who she really is -- and is not a disguise she uses to blend in with the humans. Was she a mousy Kryptonian girl until age 12? And does she somehow enjoy being the whipping girl in a Devil Wears Prada job situation? 

How many pep talks is Kara going to need each week  from different cast members? (This episode alone she got speeches from Jimmy, her sister, her hologram-Mom, and kinda-sorta from Cat.)  

I got the distinct impression that not only doesn't Superman know anything about the escaped convicts, but the DOA guy is totally against letting him know.  AND that he thinks they've got it covered.  It almost played that Hank thinking so little of Kara was why he was in the end ok with letting her help.  But only her.  Not HIM.

That would make for a vastly different show though.  Really hard to have all blue skies and earnest smiles when earth's greatest hero is dead and the planet is in morning.  Having Supes out there and established but completely out of the loop of what Kara is going to be doing, since that part is a secret, then it lets them hit the ground running with the stories. They don't have to go through the "oh my aliens are real" part.  They can just move it right along and tell her story without worrying about his story. 

I think the big problem is not even "rights", it's that they don't want to cast a different Superman than in the movies, but it's also clearly not the same universe. That Superman is a piece of shit, who throws opponents through buildings, is mopey and hated by most people on Earth, not to mention that his timeline is too concurrent with Kara's.  On the other hand, they don't want conflicting faces for the same character out there. They're already going to be facing this problem with The Flash, assuming the TV hangs on a few more years and is around when the Flash movie comes out, and having that situation with Superman is probably even worse for them and their content control.  Saying "it's a multiverse" is nice in theory, but shoving it too much in people's faces probably won't work out well.

See, I'm the opposite, I don't think people would have any difficulty separating universes.  Nobody complains they can't separate Sherlock from Elementary or the many, many earlier Sherlock Holmes series of movies and shows.  Why is it so hard to separate comic book characters? 

• Love 2

Yeah, even if they are on opposite coasts, for them they live effectively a second away, maybe two on a busy day.

This is the kind of thing that one just has to suspend the disbelief.  In the Flash and Arrow universe we had Flash come in and rescue the whole team from a dungeon in Nanda Parbat (and tie up all the remaining League members) but he didn't have time to spare to prevent a killer virus that was going to be dropped over a major metropolitan city because he urgently needed to have a conversation with a guy currently locked in cell from which he could not escape. 

I guess we will just have to go with since no one calls him for help, he never knows to come. 

I have a good feeling about the upcoming episodes.  The pilot was rushed like most pilots are and that meant there were parts of the story that I really want to see more time spent on, but that's the nice thing about getting to the next episodes.  They CAN spend more time on it.  I want a bit more on the relationship between Kara and ALex.  Alex said she did feel a kind of jealousy but she was trying to protect Kara from the notice of her bosses by encouraging her not to use her powers.  That was her mindset even if it had meant her own death, so whatever jealousy she might have felt, love for her sister was greater.

Unpopular opinion here:  I really liked Cat Grant.  She's not the walking cleche some saw her as.  She talks about her private elevator and it being the whole reason she bought the building but though she makes a crack about finding the person and firing them, she also said or bathe him, she didn't care.  She's a lot more tolerant than the one note characters.  Kara, an assistant, is allowed several times to question her decisions to her face.  The first couple times she let her get away with it.  Then when it seems Kara pushed too hard and her job was in doubt, Cat seemed perfectly happy in not firing her and even instructed her to speak up for herself.  

Cat was also more concerned about not having to fire people than she let on.  She was upset by the cost saving measures she was going to have to take and when Supergirl showed up, she halted all her plans, sure that this was what would save the paper. 

But the big thing that made me like Cat?  That look of wonder on her face when she saw Supergirl fly by her window. 

Yeah, not just a cleche.  And this from someone that does NOT like Calista Flockhart. 

• Love 4