Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Overall, there were three likable brides in this episode. The Lazaro bride picked a truly lovely dress and was so happy that it was almost impossible not to be happy for her. As odd as the Hayley Paige dress was (and I agree about the top/bottom mismatch), the bride was excited about it, so good on her. I was starting to get a bit irritated with the $6000 budget, I must have Pnina bride, but it was definitely refreshing to hear her say she'd put up the balance of the money so her mother wouldn't have to go over what she'd budgeted. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, maggiegil said:

The styling absolutely ruined the Hayley Paige brides dress, it was already a very busy top and then you add a rose and shard (icicles?) crown and then weird random braids with blue through them.

Too funny because I had the opposite reaction to the styling.  I didn't like it when I first saw it but when I saw her done up and in the location, it ended up working for me.  I still think I probably would have preferred the full original dress that the top came from but I think going all in was probably the best choice.

I liked the blush Lozaro as well.

I think the bride who went with the Pnina could wear anything and look gorgeous.  The Pnina dress was just tragic, though. Not worth busting the budget. 

It's so funny to compare this show to the northern edition.  In the Northern (a.k.a. Canadian) edition, the budgets are usually much less and they're more likely to stick to them.  Tonight, the woman in the original doubled her budget.  In the Northern edition, a bride found the perfect dress but it was 700 dollars over budget (her budget was $2000).  In the original edition, this would be treated as nothing. In the Northern edition, the bride turned it down and ended up not buying a dress because of it.

• Love 6

The Pnina suited Samantha perfectly. HOWEVER....$12k? No....

Cristina's blush Lazaro was stunning...totally perfect for her. I love Lazaro anyway...

The styling of the Hayley Paige I thought was odd...and in any other setting other than Ireland, Scotland or Wales it would look out of place. The gown was gorgeous.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

Cristina's blush Lazaro was stunning...totally perfect for her. I love Lazaro anyway...

That Lazaro gown has been around for awhile. I remember the pockets. I remember it in white satin a couple of years ago when a bride-to-be wanted a Grace Kelly look and it was gorgeous but I think the blush shimmer beats even that one. So much more elegant than the stripper outfits that Pnini charges $12,000 for.

• Love 10

Not a fan of Hayley Paige.  I want to knock that silly hat off the back of her head.  Wear your hat properly, or not at all.  Also don't like her wedding dress designs either.

• Love 3

"I'm sorry, but I'm not inviting you to my wedding because my wedding dress was too expensive".  Ugh.  I've never understood spending that much on a gown when you have the money to do so, but to double your budget?  Wow.  I just can't even.

I'm not a fan of the blush trend because a lot of times it looks dirty (it could be my tv, though), but that Lazaro was gorgeous in both colors.  I was so mad at the mom at first.  I'm glad she came around. 

• Love 5

I really dislike the new design of the showroom.  Those poop-colored benches/sofas are hideous with the blue ones, then they kept the cream color everywhere else as it was.  It has more of a warehouse look now than a salon.  And it irritates me when that Ronnie has to make an appearance (I must be crabby today).

Again with the heart palpitations of “I know the perfect dress, I just can’t find it.  Oh no, is it not here?”  Stop already.

The blush sparkle dress was gorgeous.  I don’t love every Lazaro but he beats Pnina every time for me, and he’s so sweet.

They have buckets of gowns that look like that 12K one.  I really thought Randy was being a little manipulative in saying he wasn’t pushing her to that dress when he really was.  As soon as she said her budget could move, it was happening.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DiamondGirl said:

They have buckets of gowns that look like that 12K one.  I really thought Randy was being a little manipulative in saying he wasn’t pushing her to that dress when he really was.  As soon as she said her budget could move, it was happening.

Oh, absolutely. Especially when they trotted out Pnina in her sequin-covered daywear.  She had no trouble telling the bride that she should absolutely want to wear a $12000 dress on her wedding day. 

Wasn't Pnina making a less expensive line, with, I dunno, rhinestones instead of crystals or something, but not customizable? How come we don't hear about that? It seem like, if it still exists, it would have contained something that would have been a good compromise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, rur said:

Oh, absolutely. Especially when they trotted out Pnina in her sequin-covered daywear.

And her gushing "the only thing they remember about the wedding is the dress" was such a load of BS. I can't tell you what any of my friends or relatives were wearing. I can tell you about the venue, the good times, the visiting with friends and relatives but not one single detail about a dress that was worn once.  What a total waste of money.

Plus you know that veil and headpiece probably added another thousand plus all of the alterations needed.  What a racket.

• Love 16

True. In spite of what Pnina and the wedding industry tells the brides, most people don't remember the dress much at all. Additionally, all those brides who want people to say, "Wow!" when they appear in the doorway of the sanctuary  are forgetting that most people aren't sitting on the aisle.  They're only going to see a bit of your dress, then a bit more, maybe,  from the side as you pass, and other bits of it when you're facing the pastor. Folks will remember if it was strapless or not, or maybe if it had lace or sleeves, but chances are, they don't really care that much.

And, I guess maybe even Pnina knows that because I did a little research and discovered her "Love" line at  Kleinfeld is the less expensive one. You can view it here: https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/designers/love-by-pnina-tornai/  It includes the one below, which, I admit, would make people say, "Wow!" and remember it, not necessarily for the same reasons as the bride:

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 11.53.38 AM.png

Edited by rur
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Pnina's old 'budget friendly' line was "Pearla D"...and had some very nice gowns. But some of those brides have much more money than common sense. I can put an entire very nice wedding on for $12k and not skimp. 

A few years ago when in Atlanta I stopped by "Bridals By Lori" just to look around...and seeing this Lazaro up close & personal...it's stunning in person.

image.png.3a7fce04d5cf442e642030bb8969b8af.png

• Love 10

Similar to the above dress, remember several years ago the show did an episode devoted to all the brides who picked the earlier version of it? It was fun to see it on so many different figures but honestly, a heavily defined waist, bulky belt, and billowy tulle skirt isn't for everyone.

lazaro.JPG

Edited by palmaire
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, palmaire said:

Similar to the above dress, remember several years ago the show did an episode devoted to all the brides who picked the earlier version of it? It was fun to see it on so many different figures but honestly, a heavily defined waist, bulky belt, and billowy tulle skirt isn't for everyone.

lazaro.JPG

It's not, however, it's a showstopper up close. There was another that I actually saw a bride try on that I'd seen on the show several times. Also a showstopper...she was trying to decide between two dresses and asked me what I thought....for her evening wedding the one I'd seen on several brides was perfect on her...and she chose it.

• Love 2

That dress was everywhere because it was flat out a hugely romantic classic fantasy gown that wasn’t vulgar or trashy and didn’t cost as much as a car.

It was chosen by so many brides of different sizes, colors, etc. and it did look good on them. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, rur said:

Overall, there were three likable brides in this episode. The Lazaro bride picked a truly lovely dress and was so happy that it was almost impossible not to be happy for her. As odd as the Hayley Paige dress was (and I agree about the top/bottom mismatch), the bride was excited about it, so good on her. I was starting to get a bit irritated with the $6000 budget, I must have Pnina bride, but it was definitely refreshing to hear her say she'd put up the balance of the money so her mother wouldn't have to go over what she'd budgeted. 

That Lazaro gown in blush was stunning on her and nearly made me cry. The shimmery fabric was to die for. I normally don't like strapless wedding gowns, but that one even won me over on her.

I really didn't care for the Hayley Paige gown. The top and bottom were a mismatch and the crown was an oddity, even in that lovely setting. It was just bizarre.

Don't get me started on the Pnina stripper dress. Or was it a drag queen dress? Gag. At least the mom wasn't stuck with the full bill, but you know that by the time they add on a veil and fitting charges it's going to wipe out the discount.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

add on a veil and fitting charges it's going to wipe out the discount.

I do always wonder about that, if they make it clear to the brides its going to be almost $900 minimum for alterations if you get them done at kleinfeld.

I would assume if I was buying a dress specifically made to my measurements that it would fit like a glove when I got it and if it didn't that it would be altered as part of the price (from watching SYTTD I know that isn't how its done in bridal). I would love to know if brides especially ones who go over their budget have that factored in.

The now defunct 'I found the gown' always seemed like a smarter option to me, buy the sample and have it altered, since you're most likely going to have to have it altered anyway even if its ordered to your measurements.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I do always wonder about that, if they make it clear to the brides its going to be almost $900 minimum for alterations if you get them done at kleinfeld.

Some years ago I worked as a temp in a large bridal salon in Chicago and even though they took detailed measurements they purposely ordered the chosen dresses at least a size too big so that they required alterations. From what I was told, the salon made a larger profit from alterations than from the actual dresses they sold.

If Kleinfelds charges $900 for alterations they're really making a lot of money on them. Quite a rip-off.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2019 at 7:58 AM, cameron said:

Not a fan of Hayley Paige.  I want to knock that silly hat off the back of her head.  Wear your hat properly, or not at all.  Also don't like her wedding dress designs either.

Her whole ensemble, but especially the hat, screamed “1980s comedy movie shopping mall montage.”

Most of her designs don’t do it for me but I will always love that tone on tone striped gown from a few years ago.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

So the Tuscan bride was sort of selfish in not allowing her mom to be at the wedding.  

But I guess with two sets of parents, it would have gotten Complicated.  

The other bride was completely ridiculous and wishy-Washy. Just pick a dress, already 🙄🙄

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ninamags said:

So the Tuscan bride was sort of selfish in not allowing her mom to be at the wedding.  

The other bride was completely ridiculous and wishy-Washy. Just pick a dress, already 🙄🙄

I wanted to slap her. Perfectionist, my hind parts. 

She makes the decision to have a destination wedding in Tuscany and then decides no, zero family may be there because it's so far from home. She's a selfish cow. There are places closer to Houston that are equally lovely to Tuscany that would have accommodated a smallish (50) wedding party.

And while I'm at it, her groom was quite unattractive and her MOH was no beauty, either.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

That was the most boring, unexciting, drab, awkward “destiny wedding” I have ever seen! (Not that I have seen a lot.)

I wonder if that Tuscany wedding experience was worth hurting their families? 

Could she have had a small wedding with just the immediate family FIRST, then went to Tuscany with her MOT and best man (AND HER PHOTOGRAPHY TEAM???why)?

I don’t think I could have disappointed my mother like that. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Rosebud1970 said:

She's a selfish cow.

And she will live to regret it, I hope.  The problem with these spoiled brats is that they place undue importance on this one single day - it's just a damned ceremony.  What comes after that is real life, real marriage. I hope her family remembers "Ms. all about me" when she needs help with a sick kid or loses her job and needs a loan or any other number of things that happen in the real world and family steps up to help.  I hope they tell her to go look at her pictures of the wedding and remember they were excluded so she's on her own.

• Love 15

I think they should have done three brides this week given we only got to see one dress chosen.

I think the eloping bride should have eloped rather than telling people beforehand and creating resentment. I remember when Sophie Dahl got married it was announced at the church that they had already eloped and it was a blessing rather than a marriage ceremony. It seemed like they were redoing most of the stuff in Houston anyway like Father walking her down the aisle, reception etc, they should have just done it twice

I get wanting a small wedding and it is unfeasible if you have a big family unless you leave most people off the guest list.

I know she was probably told to do it by the producers but I did feel like Lisa was stirring it up a bit too much when she was asking the Mother about not being invited. Lisa and Randy made it seem like this was unheard of but people not being invited has been on loads of syttd eps, I think there was even one last season or the season before when the bride was marrying in Paris with just her and her groom.

Loved Mama Dolly and the indecisive brides Mother. Wish they had shown Mama Dolly's other 5 wedding photos. I get feeling overwhelmed when its such an expensive purchase and probably the most important dress you'll wear especially when people have traveled such a distance for a dress appointment. Really wish they still showed us a photo of the dress the bride eventually bought elsewhere like they did in older episodes.

I like the new guy James so far, he seemed really supportive as a consultant.

Edited by maggiegil
  • Love 8

I suspect there are some family dynamics for the Tuscany bride that perhaps weren’t immediately evident in the Kleinfeld showroom. When the sisters(? I wasn’t paying attention when their relationships were announced) joked about just showing up and then the one in the middle sort of backtracked very quickly, I got the feeling that her mom likes to do a fair number of unannounced visits and perhaps the bride was working to prevent that.

Or perhaps if the bride said yes to mom that could have meant dealing with some nasty dynamics from other parts of the family which could snowball into a big mess of “well you invited HER so why not me, etc.”  I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

Was surprised she covered her tattoos for the ceremony though.

edit: Aha, it was the *stepmother* who pulled back on the sneak attendance. Yeah I think there’s a lot going on with the family that the women didn’t choose to go into on camera.

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

I like the new guy James so far, he seemed really supportive as a consultant.

He reminded me so much of Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You. What a cutie 🙂

• Love 8
On 8/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, DiamondGirl said:

I really dislike the new design of the showroom.  Those poop-colored benches/sofas are hideous with the blue ones, then they kept the cream color everywhere else as it was.  It has more of a warehouse look now than a salon.

I am not a fan of the salon's new look either.  I keep hoping that that boxy, cheap looking furniture are just place holders till the real furniture is delivered.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am not a fan of the salon's new look either.  I keep hoping that that boxy, cheap looking furniture are just place holders till the real furniture is delivered.

Reminds me of the bridal shop where everyone got their prom dresses way back when.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, cameron said:

Reminds me of the bridal shop where everyone got their prom dresses way back when.

Between the furniture and the horrible Pnina dresses the try to pawn off on brides it does not seem like the shopping experience I would like.

Why did that bride getting married in Tuscany make such a big deal about not having her family there but would be putting that dress on again for a reception in Texas?  Did she want her mother to pay for the dress but not want her to attend her wedding?  Someone on her couch said that the bride's father would be walking her down the aisle at the reception, that seemed like a slip up, like there was going to be a big wedding in the Great State of Texas and maybe the time line was being played with and the Tuscany wedding was taking place after the Texas wedding.  I am calling bullshit on her story.

Reality TV has made me suspicious of everyone's story no matter how ernest it may be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 7/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, rur said:

said something about how now everyone in the salon would know when someone says yes to a dress explained it all to me.

Like being in one of those sales rooms at a time share, it is crowded and noisy and they ring a bell every few minutes to indicate a sale has been made.

I went once, NEVER again!

How many brides would be pressured to buy a dress just because the bride standing 5 feet away said yes?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DiamondGirl said:

She looked best in the family gown!  That was a beautiful piece.

I am surprised that Randy did not suggest they rework/remodel  the gown to make it more her. 

That bride seemed like she wanted to be on TV more than actually buy a dress.  She probably already had a dress selected elsewhere.

• Love 4
On 8/4/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kohola3 said:

And her gushing "the only thing they remember about the wedding is the dress" was such a load of BS. 

I must admit, I remember from the wedding of the daughter of a dear friend that daughter's wedding dress was, imo, ugly and did not flatter her physique. The ceremony itself was lovely and the reception was great, so that's mostly what I remember.

But that dress was ugly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Oh I agree with all you gals about those two brides, but I also agree that James is wonderful.  I totally approve!  Ahhhhhh what a sweet baby. I want to see more of Randy's new line and less of these spoiled little girls who just want to be on t.v. and not buy a dress. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am surprised that Randy did not suggest they rework/remodel  the gown to make it more her. 

I’m Real Bad at Fashion (tm) but I thought if they’d taken the sleeves off, it would have worked as that neckline was perfect for her. The fact that the fabric was satin was probably too hard to overcome for an overall modernization of the dress though.

• Love 3

Ugh, Tuscany bride.  What a sad pitiful little wedding she had there, and then she had a whole reception (minus the actual ceremony I guess), back in Texas.  Bet Mom and Dad coughed up the money for the whole thing too.

I didn’t mind indecisive bride, since she had never tried on a dress before.  I could see getting overwhelmed.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ninamags said:

The hubs and I 'eloped' in town...we took our kids, witnesses and a friend to take pictures to the little church around the corner from our home...9 people (that included the minister)...we went to dinner after then came home and put the kids to bed (ages 4, 7 & 8, two mine, 1 his)...that was the wedding...we had a huge party next day, no stress, just fun fun, fun....30 years later my mother was still complaining she wasn't at that wedding...My sister (who was also not there) tried to tell her that no one was included and to just let it go...everyone was included for the party...that the hubs & I paid for ourselves. It's what we wanted, so that's what we did...I still don't feel bad about it...and she was the only one who made a stink.

• Love 8

Anybody notice that Tuscan bride & groom had a “blending” at their ceremony (where they each pour their wine into a carafe, to symbolize two families becoming one?) Even though NEITHER FAMILY WAS INVITED?!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

And to top it all off, on our 25th anniversary we went to Europe for a month....did a vow renewal in Scotland at Gretna Green that included a traditional handfasting....alone this time...#bestweddingever!...my mom, who had no desire to travel outside the US, was pissy about that as well...some people have to make everything about them....Can't you be happy for your kid? 

• Love 4

Tuscany bride seemed to lack perspective and her priorities seemed off. Her argument was the snowball effect, but it didn't work, because clearly (and understandably) her mother was still hurt even though no other family members were invited. If you can insist on your mom not coming, pretty sure you could also effectively cap the guest list at family member #8, and then you're dealing with #8's hurt feelings rather than mom's. 

I find most of the dresses at Kleinfeld's unattractive, so I have compassion for the brides who don't like any and roll my eyes at Randy/the Consultant who show a bride less than 1% of the dresses they have, then conclude she doesn't like anything and they have no idea what her problem is.

That said, I know I'm not suited for their business model, so I'd know better than to show up for an appointment there without having already selected online some dresses I'm interested in. I also think if they're going to put blind trust in the expertise of their consultant, they should at least try the dresses on rather than rejecting them on the hanger.

There have been a few dresses that brides have chosen that I think were beautiful for them (off the top of my head, some standouts were Sutton Foster, the NYE bride, and the rocker-lawyer bride...who from Instagram stalking I discovered didn't even wear the Monique Lhuillier dress she picked on the show and instead went for one closer to what she started the appointment saying she wanted, but the Monique Lhuillier one looked made for her). The recent sparkly blush one was lovely too. But most dresses on the show for me range from unmemorable at best, to unflattering and ugly. 

ETA: I think I liked the Ireland bride's custom Hayley Paige dress.

Edited by Evangeline
  • Love 5

The mother was a little hurt but I think she overall was in rather good humor.  It was nice to see how well she and the stepmother got along.

The Tuscan bride was annoying but I do think there was something more there.  Like maybe the ceremony was in combo with their honeymoon and were worried that they'd have family on their honeymoon.  Or there were questions of being able to afford going.

45 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

I have compassion for the brides who don't like any and roll my eyes at Randy/the Consultant who show a bride less than 1% of the dresses they have, then conclude she doesn't like anything and they have no idea what her problem is.

9 times out of 10 they say that when the bride doesn't have preferences when it comes to ballgown vs super fitted vs mermaid or a little bling vs no bling vs a lot of bling or lace vs. tulle...etc.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

There have been a few dresses that brides have chosen that I think were beautiful for them (off the top of my head, some standouts were Sutton Foster, the NYE bride, and the rocker-lawyer bride...who from Instagram stalking I discovered didn't even wear the Monique Lhuillier dress she picked on the show and instead went for one closer to what she started the appointment saying she wanted, but the Monique Lhuillier one looked made for her).

Was that the one with the wide portrait collar and she looled like a gorgeous version of the Corpse Bride? Noooooo I loved that dress so much...it was my favorite dress/wearer pairing ever.

• Love 1

Just looked through Randy's new collection. I like what he is trying to achieve and I think on the whole they're attractive. He seems overly fond of putting a slim deep V on the bodice of the dresses, which isn't my style, but I'd probably at least try on some of his dresses. Angel seems particularly striking to me. 

6 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

Was that the one with the wide portrait collar and she looled like a gorgeous version of the Corpse Bride? Noooooo I loved that dress so much...it was my favorite dress/wearer pairing ever.

Yes! Agreed. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Evangeline said:

ETA: I think I liked the Ireland bride's custom Hayley Paige dress.

I liked it more than most of her other dresses but with all the lace going on maybe a sleeker hair style would have made her less busy...plus re thinking the crown. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

I loved her! She knew who she was and exactly what she wanted...there have been a few who really knew how to manage that appointment....Sutton Foster comes to mind (love her anyway)...

The dresses are shown by price point...so there really is a limited selection if shape isn't negotiable; the more open minded bride will have the greater selection. They may have 1500 dresses, but probably 3/4 are over $5k

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Evangeline said:

the rocker-lawyer bride...who from Instagram stalking I discovered didn't even wear the Monique Lhuillier dress she picked on the show and instead went for one closer to what she started the appointment saying she wanted, but the Monique Lhuillier one looked made for her

That dress was perfect for her!  What a shame, especially when she says before coming to the store she had already bought the vintage one she wore.  So that whole thing was fake.

• Love 1