Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I liked Red and her husband seemed cool, but the dress she chose did her no favors. I thought it looked hideous on her. But it's not my wedding and I'm glad she's happy.  

I agree the dress Red chose was too skin tight at the salon. She almost looked naked. It was much better at the ceremony after being altered. Her husband was not my cup of tea.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, amarante said:

Join me for dinner at that table.

Theoretically I liked the concept of her dresses but they weren't executed appropriately and there was extra frippery that took away from the sculptural quality of the dress.

If that kind of elegant non froufrou look is your inspiration, there are designers that do it better. I am thinking the equivalent of Pippa Middletown's wedding gown. Or when Carolyn Bessette was married to JFK, Jr. her Narcisco Rodriguez slip dress although that was obviously going in a completely different feel than the sculptural looks.

Amsale has more of those clean looks with just a bit of frippery so that it isn't entirely plain or lacking some interest.

https://amsale.com/pages/amsale-bridal

I LOVE, LOVE the late great Amsale! Her dresses are stunning and some of them even years later are iconic. 

• Like 2

I am glad that Red found a dress that she thought she looked beautiful in - and her husband as well.

However, the dress was NOT flattering - just because one is body positive doesn't mean that one doesn't attempt to find the most flattering clothing. Even women who are slim don't look their best in everything.

The styles she tried on originally weren't particularly flattering because they made her torso look bulky and then cut her off but there are more flattering shapes I have seen on larger sized brides which don't accent a large protruding stomach and essentially a barrel torso.

And I truly don't understand the aesthetics of that much tattoo work. I just think that it limits one's ability and confines one to certain jobs for example. I would think that someone with a tattooed head like the husband would not be hired for a lot of jobs.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, amarante said:

I am glad that Red found a dress that she thought she looked beautiful in - and her husband as well.

However, the dress was NOT flattering - just because one is body positive doesn't mean that one doesn't attempt to find the most flattering clothing. Even women who are slim don't look their best in everything.

The styles she tried on originally weren't particularly flattering because they made her torso look bulky and then cut her off but there are more flattering shapes I have seen on larger sized brides which don't accent a large protruding stomach and essentially a barrel torso.

And I truly don't understand the aesthetics of that much tattoo work. I just think that it limits one's ability and confines one to certain jobs for example. I would think that someone with a tattooed head like the husband would not be hired for a lot of jobs.

I thought that last dress was terrible on her too, she will look at her wedding photos and wonder why nobody told her she looked like an over stuffed couch, you do not have to be a size 4 to look good in a wedding dress. There are designers that cater to the larger size brides, she should have not been so concerned being labeled a larger size bride but should have leaned in to it to get something that would have been flattering on her figure.  Red looked like Divine, she did not look divine.

@amarante you failed to mention those stretched out ear lobes on that future hubby, ick.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Cocoa Puff said:

I LOVE, LOVE the late great Amsale! Her dresses are stunning and some of them even years later are iconic. 

The Amsale dresses are beautiful but at $6-10 thousand they are out of most people’s budget. I really liked the dress the first bride found and it was perfect for her body. I didn’t like Red’s dress but it looked a lot better when it was fitted. I think Kleinfeld is usually good at finding dresses that fit the body well but different people want different things. 

• Like 1

Ballgowns on big-busted women are almost always going to be a fail just because  big busts take up a lot more geography on the torso. When a dress balloons out at the waist, it's never going to be flattering because there isn't enough space between the bust and the waistline, so I'm glad Red moved away from the ballgowns. I'm glad she was happy with the dress she chose, but I can't believe there wasn't a design in the store that was somewhere between the two extremes she was choosing from.

And, for my picky rant of the week: The other bride had me yelling RHINESTONES! RHINESTONES! in my head. I'd actually rather hear shoppers say "bling" or "bedazzled" rather than call the embellishment "diamonds." And I'm a little disappointed that Randy referred to "diamonds", too. He could have at least called them faux diamonds. I'll go sit in the corner now.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought that last dress was terrible on her too, she will look at her wedding photos and wonder why nobody told her she looked like an over stuffed couch, you do not have to be a size 4 to look good in a wedding dress. There are designers that cater to the larger size brides, she should have not been so concerned being labeled a larger size bride but should have leaned in to it to get something that would have been flattering on her figure.  Red looked like Divine, she did not look divine.

@amarante you failed to mention those stretched out ear lobes on that future hubby, ick.

Yes unfortunately Red did resemble a large drag queen and could have looked much more beautiful in a more flattering shape. Personally I think what are called the A-line shape seem to be more flattering to larger sizes as they don't cut off the waist like her first two dresses do and then they kind of skim over the stomach in a more flattering way.

I would have gone further in terms of my failing to understanding the aesthetics but I didn't want to be too judgmental. Suffice it to say that I don't understand deliberately getting permanently transformed in a way that limits one's ability to maneuver in the world for the rest of your life.

I don't want to do an arm chair analysis but I think that it might have something to do with her having been bullied and therefore deciding that if she is not going to ever be viewed as "conventionally" attractive she will go to an extreme and essentially send a message that she is above being evaluated by standard norms.

5 minutes ago, rur said:

Ballgowns on big-busted women are almost always going to be a fail just because  big busts take up a lot more geography on the torso. When a dress balloons out at the waist, it's never going to be flattering because there isn't enough space between the bust and the waistline, so I'm glad Red moved away from the ballgowns. I'm glad she was happy with the dress she chose, but I can't believe there wasn't a design in the store that was somewhere between the two extremes she was choosing from.

And, for my picky rant of the week: The other bride had me yelling RHINESTONES! RHINESTONES! in my head. I'd actually rather hear shoppers say "bling" or "bedazzled" rather than call the embellishment "diamonds." And I'm a little disappointed that Randy referred to "diamonds", too. He could have at least called them faux diamonds. I'll go sit in the corner now.

Completely agree on the shape. In my post I didn't describe why that shape tends to be unflattering on larger women but your analysis was perfect.

And again, I have seen large women dressed in very flattering dresses on this show.

Why do I think that the actual back story is that the woman wanted a "tight" dress and so that was always the end game. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
24 minutes ago, rur said:

YES!! 

The brides to be on that Gypsy Wedding show always called them diamonds too, ugh.

• Like 2

When I saw Red's dress she chose in the store, I thought it was pretty unflattering.  It looked much better with the straps and the properly fitted top.  However, I think an A-line would have done much better on her.  When I was trying on evening dresses one time, a saleslady brought out one that looked pretty shapeless on the hanger, but when I put it on and had alterations come and work with it, the dress was amazing.  It was an A-line and light as a feather and just skimmed my waist rather than cinching in.  I love that dress and I can actually take it traveling because it is so light and easy to manage.

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I guess I'm in a different camp.  She felt beautiful in that dress, and it made her and her husband happy.  In my mind, that's all the matters.  ❤️

I don’t think anyone is begrudging her happiness. 

However I am putting myself in the position of advising someone on what is flattering. And if I had been taken along I never would have nit offered my opinion and steered her to a shape that was much more flattering. 

The whole point of trying in clothes and bringing along people whose taste you trust is to give you honest feedback.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, amarante said:

Amsale has more of those clean looks with just a bit of frippery so that it isn't entirely plain or lacking some interest.

https://amsale.com/pages/amsale-bridal

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this website.  The dresses are beautiful.  I'm convinced the "women of color" models show off white wedding dresses better than anyone else.  I'd love to wear LARK to a prom if I were a young girl.  I'm so white I glow in the dark, so I'd need a color...maybe turquoise.  I'd still have red hair if I were going to a prom--which would have been 1956-58.  We didn't say "Going to prom," without the "a".

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:
5 hours ago, rur said:

YES!! 

The brides to be on that Gypsy Wedding show always called them diamonds too, ugh.

Aren't "rhinestones" cut and polished like "diamonds"?  Randy should have gently corrected everyone/anyone...with whatever they really are.  Then I'd know.

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The Amsale dresses are beautiful but at $6-10 thousand they are out of most people’s budget.

Several are fairly easy for a good dressmaker to copy.  Even a good home sewer.

• Like 1

Really liked Red. Seemed like a cool person. Dress she chose did look much better after alterations.  First bride ended up with a pretty dress that fit her shape well, but I was surprised at her budget. With all of her "diamond" talk, thought she'd have more to spend. Like Peter and Amber(?) as sales associates. Don't love Randy popping in as much this season, and in general like him. He's not being helpful in pulling dresses, he's just at the pedestal.

I can't help thinking Gok from SYTTD: England would have found a much better dress for Red. It made her look like a barrel with a flounce on the bottom. Proper alteration and straps did help but she may have been better off looking for specific designers that are size inclusive and then trying on a style she liked. Por ejemplo, Maggie Sottero goes up to size 28. If that's too pricey, David's Bridal has a good variety. People get too fixated on "OMG Kleinfeld's <squee!!!>" I do wonder how she got the dress with all the alterations in only 5 months. 

• Like 4

I've seen form-fitting look good on curvier brides, even plus-sized brides, on this show so I was half expecting to like a fitted dress on Red. It's counterintuitive but surprisingly works more than I think it should. I didn't quite feel that way with the dress she chose. The dress looked much better in the wedding than it did in the shop but I preferred the second dress on her. 

That said, I hope she doesn't look back and regret her dress.  She shouldn't.  She looked happy and tons of brides pick out dresses I don't love. 

13 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I can't help thinking Gok from SYTTD: England would have found a much better dress for Red.

Maybe.  I like him.  But she fell in love with it once she put it on and it's really hard to argue against that--especially when her friends were all "you need something sexy." 

I really liked her hair and veil on the wedding day. 

I also liked Hot Lava's dress. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I can't help thinking Gok from SYTTD: England would have found a much better dress for Red. It made her look like a barrel with a flounce on the bottom. Proper alteration and straps did help but she may have been better off looking for specific designers that are size inclusive and then trying on a style she liked. Por ejemplo, Maggie Sottero goes up to size 28. If that's too pricey, David's Bridal has a good variety. People get too fixated on "OMG Kleinfeld's <squee!!!>" I do wonder how she got the dress with all the alterations in only 5 months. 

Is Gok coming back? He was such a breath if fresh air! 

Red was a lovely person but damn, that dress was fug. I know, as long as she felt beautiful in it, but yeah, I think Gok could have made her look amazing in a completely different type of dress.

Also, that Hot Lava lady was such a PITA client. I loathe these women who come on the show to perform and be high maintenance and snarky, etc. Just, no. I'd rather see all Reds than anyone like Lava mouth again.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 7

I think the sales people pretty much go along with what the bride wants, unless a disaster is obvious. The no-nonsense women in alterations are the ones to tell the bride her breasts should not rest on her stomach, padding is essential to make the top fit, boning or a corset is necessary, straps can prevent an accident, and the fit around the hips needs to be loose enough to allow her to sit at the reception. 

• Like 8

I liked the dresses that the fitness expert tried on, but I didn't like them on her.  The fit just didn't look right.  I hope she finally found a dress that wowed her.

The not-a-bride's mother's dress fit her like a glove!  It was a beautiful dress, and with a little tailoring, it could be modernized easily.  She mentioned that she'd move the bows around.  There wasn't an update at the end about her mother, so hopefully she's doing okay.  

The dress that the bride came to try on and alter was pretty, but it was so plain.  It looked good on her though. 

• Like 4

I felt bad for the personal trainer, she didn't look happy in any of the dresses. Why don't people come in with pictures of what they like? Doesn't anyone look through bridal magazines anymore? Mom kind of ruined it all with her chicken wire comment. 

My mother died 3 months ago. I'm old enough that there aren't any milestones she'll miss out on. But when that daughter said "Mommy" I lost it. The old dress looked great on her. Anyone remember that show where a bride had to choose between a family gown reworked by some seamstress or a new dress? That was a good show.

Wonder why alterations aren't done downstairs anymore. Did Vera retire? When the dance mom wondered if anyone missed them, I said No.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 1

I was so relieved that trainer Jessica’s entourage didn’t include Whitney Thore. I’m sure she would have been her usual insufferable fame whore self and taken over the appointment. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The old dress looked great on her. Anyone remember that show where a bride had to choose between a family gown reworked by some seamstress or a new dress? That was a good show.

Hugs to you about your mom Grizzly. 

I remember that show, Something Borrowed or Something New. If I remember, most all brides chose new. Best part was them ripping the old dress in front of mom.

• Like 4

The mother's dress was beautiful and amazing that it fit her so perfectly.

It was a very timeless style - even the bows were not distasteful. 

I suspect the "Diamond" collection was an expensive line as the mother obviously came from a wealthy background since her wedding was at the Plaza. The Plaza was a very expensive venue 

Here is another Diamond "vintage" gown - this one designed by Randy years ago. It also is timelesss and could be worn by a bride today

image.thumb.jpeg.d176b0f2f51bb1d5d7b11eed22beabfe.jpeg

• Like 12

The mother’s dress looked very much like Jim Hjelm — the material, styling, and especially the lace detail on the body of the dress.  I wore a Hjelm dress. He had different “collections” that came in a variety of price ranges (mostly $1200 - $2500 in 1990s dollars) and you got a lot of look at a reasonable cost. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

The mother’s dress looked very much like Jim Hjelm — the material, styling, and especially the lace detail on the body of the dress.  I wore a Hjelm dress. He had different “collections” that came in a variety of price ranges (mostly $1200 - $2500 in 1990s dollars) and you got a lot of look at a reasonable cost. 

I am not sure how you are calculating cost for $2500 in 1990 adjusted for inflation would be about $6000 in today's dollars.

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Why don't people come in with pictures of what they like? Doesn't anyone look through bridal magazines anymore?

She said she never really thought she'd get married nor did she ever fantasize about having a wedding.  She's probably not taken by wedding dresses or doesn't realize that it's okay to just be okay with a dress and not fall ravishingly in love with one to wear it for a wedding.  I'm surprised they didn't show her a halter dress similar to the one she wore for the appointment with an open back.

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm surprised they didn't show her a halter dress similar to the one she wore for the appointment with an open back.

I had the same thought. The halter dress she wore to the appointment looked better on her than any of the ones she tried on.

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I had the same thought. The halter dress she wore to the appointment looked better on her than any of the ones she tried on.

Me three. Jessica (like many athletes) is not big breasted, so a halter would be a good choice. Her shoulders and back would look good in a halter. It was a missed opportunity at the appointment. 

• Like 5
(edited)
On 4/2/2023 at 10:22 AM, magemaud said:

I didn't think those split to the naval cleavage dresses looked good on Jessica as they accentuated her boniness. 

I think they accentuated her masculine arms and it looked like she had pecs rather than breasts- it's a loom a lot of body builders seem to have. No idea if it's steroids ir that's just what happens when you become a body builder. TBH, with her muscular upper body,, I felt like she should have been in something that was perhaps off the shoulder but with enough of a sleeve to cover her biceps. That would have softened her look IMO. Those plu ging necklines did her no favors either.

The not a bride gal...sometimes I wonder if these people are actors acted into the show. It just seems so odd. That said, while her mother's gown fit her perfectly. I thought the first gown looked fabulous on her. Her mkms gown was very dated IMO, though it had beautiful Allençon lace and I'm sure she could re work it.

The fitting gal's mother was a freaking nightmare stage mom. Making it all about her. 'Oh I wish I was getting g married!' Any mother or friend accompanying a bride who says that, I just have no time for.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, gingerella said:

the fitting gal's mother was a freaking nightmare stage mom. Making it all about her. 'Oh I wish I was getting g married!' Any mother or friend accompanying a bride who says that, I just have no time for.

I remember Dance Mom being just as insufferable at their original appointment. And she thought she knew more about wedding gown alterations than the Kleinfeld professionals! 

No, DM, I don't think Kleinfeld's "missed you." I sure didn't. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I saw Jessica get married months ago on TV so I knew she didn’t get her dress there. It seems like they are increasingly getting D list celebrities on the show . I couldn’t stand Jill on dance moms and had no desire to see her again. I had mixed feelings about the girl with the dying mom. If it was me I would have assured her I would be with her in spirit and happy with whatever she decides when and if she gets married. Now she will have to do this all over again or resign herself to wearing her mother’s dress whether it suits her or not. 

I just celebrated my 28th anniversary and when I was dress shopping I had no idea I was supposed to sob uncontrollably or it wasn’t the dress. My mom died long before I got married and most of my bridesmaids lived out of state so I went alone to find my dress. I also didn’t have matching robes for the bridesmaids or any of the fancy day of stuff they have now. Seems like a lot of fuss and expense but of course people should do what makes them happy.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Was it just the quality of the old video, or was the Not Bride Girl's father's face blurred out in the wedding photos? I noticed the mother always referred to him as "your father" and not "my husband." 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Was it just the quality of the old video, or was the Not Bride Girl's father's face blurred out in the wedding photos? I noticed the mother always referred to him as "your father" and not "my husband." 

Who knows but when my mother was talking about my father to me, she always called. your "your father". They were married for 50 years.

It would honestly be odd if her parents were divorced because the mother was gushing about the wedding being almost the happiest day in her life and I don't think most divorced people think of their wedding day like that or refer to it in that manner. 

Also it would be odd if the mother wanted her daughter to wear a dress from a marriage that ended in divorce.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I just celebrated my 28th anniversary and when I was dress shopping I had no idea I was supposed to sob uncontrollably or it wasn’t the dress. My mom died long before I got married and most of my bridesmaids lived out of state so I went alone to find my dress. I also didn’t have matching robes for the bridesmaids or any of the fancy day of stuff they have now. Seems like a lot of fuss and expense but of course people should do what makes them happy.

We eloped and I went dress shopping alone too. One friend who wasn't even a close friend, was in town so she came with me to look at the dress that I was going to buy, and did end up buying. At one point I went alone to David's Bridal to try on dresses and in the room next to me was a bride, I think she was Persian or something, anyway, her entourage was her mom, and several aunties, and she took a long time to get into each dress so I would come out and they all took me under their wing and told me what they liked, etc. I honestly think they had more fun with me than with her! I ended up getting a dress elsewhere and brought my dress to David's and tried it on with their sashes, veils, and shoes, and honestly? The saleslady who helped me gave me a lot of time and attention and care and it was a lovely experience. They're probably used to being barely seen, just bring dress after dress, but it was a very nice experience and I don't feel like I missed out by not shopping with 'an entourage'. At the end of the day, the only person who's opinion mattered on my dress was mine.

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

36 minutes ago, amarante said:

Who knows but when my mother was talking about my father to me, she always called. your "your father". They were married for 50 years.

It would honestly be odd if her parents were divorced because the mother was gushing about the wedding being almost the happiest day in her life and I don't think most divorced people think of their wedding day like that or refer to it in that manner. 

Also it would be odd if the mother wanted her daughter to wear a dress from a marriage that ended in divorce.

I noticed that mom's surname was different than her daughter's so perhaps the first husband/father died and mom remarried?

• Like 7
55 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I noticed that mom's surname was different than her daughter's so perhaps the first husband/father died and mom remarried?

What was the mother’s last name? 

51 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I don't remember, you'd have to rewatch towards the end of their segment.

I rewatched and the daughter's name was Marie-Therese Rizzuto and her mother was Theresa DePascale. The episode was filmed a year and a half ago. Marie is on FB and reports her mother is doing well and undergoing some promising new treatment. Also, Marie met the "love of her life" just weeks after filming and they're engaged, so maybe her mother will live long enough to see her walk down the aisle in her dress. https://www.facebook.com/mimi.theresa.7

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, gingerella said:

The fitting gal's mother was a freaking nightmare stage mom. Making it all about her. 'Oh I wish I was getting g married!' Any mother or friend accompanying a bride who says that, I just have no time for.

When I saw the "previously" clips, I remembered her because I was convinced that her wearing orange meant she was planning  to stand out. If I'm not mistaken, she was also wearing a white dress at her daughter's wedding. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks for the update on not-a-bride's Mother. I'm happy to hear how things are going. I liked them both and their relationship was sweet.

But I have a question. If the Mother hadn't sent her dress to be added to the rotation, was the daughter going to actually buy a dress or were they just trying them on then leaving.

Lastly, my Mother also referred to my Dad as "your Father". I never in my life heard her call him "my husband". 

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, amarante said:

My wedding was nice...and happy, but I had many happier days that followed.  Still, had it been "the happiest," (and we were divorced after 20yrs), I might say something like,"That was the happiest day of my life, and look how THAT turned out."  I think many of us can put various life events in categories...and be fair and honest about them.

14 hours ago, BAForever said:
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Me three. Jessica (like many athletes) is not big breasted, so a halter would be a good choice. Her shoulders and back would look good in a halter. It was a missed opportunity at the appointment. 

I wish the consultant had pointed that out; seems like many viewers are. As for her small breasts...I was drawn more to her bony chest--something maybe she doesn't notice, but would be prominent in most of the dresses she liked.  High neck, low back might be best.  I think her face would fill out a bit if she'd gain a bit of weight.  She has that "lost A LOT of weight" look.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 4

Whitney Thore's personal trainer, I would not brag about that because it was a fail. I remember when Whitney went shopping for a wedding dress, (needlessly) and after she tried on dresses she went and sat in the public area of the store in her underwear!  

Personal trainer should stick to a higher neckline, her cleavage is not attractive.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I teared up a bit at the not-bride's segment with her mother.  So sweet.  However, I am now wondering if I should have been thinking "how manipulative" instead.  What did the mother think would happen if she had her dress shipped to Kleinfeld's and put into 'rotation'?  It was an emotionally intense experience, so, of course, the daughter would choose the mother's dress.  It's a nice story, but it also seemingly was created just for the show (look how happy we are even when they don't buy a dress).  Yes, I'm being overly cynical.  

The trainer seemed unhappy the entire time, and the dress she most seemed to like was mocked by her mother (chicken wire).  Although I never married, I most likely would have just gone by myself to choose a dress as it seems like there are many times when a bride really liked a dress and then the entourage shot it down and the brides were devastated as they felt they couldn't get the dress after that.

Oh, and who are some of these so-called celebrities?  I guess I was supposed to recognize the mother from the fitting scene but had absolutely no idea who she was (and based on her behavior, I never want to watch anything else in which she appears).  I know Kleinfeld's love their celebrities but I usually don't like those brides/members of the entourage because it becomes all "look at me" and I am here to look at the dresses.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 4/2/2023 at 6:42 AM, amarante said:

Here is another Diamond "vintage" gown - this one designed by Randy years ago. It also is timelesss and could be worn by a bride today

image.thumb.jpeg.d176b0f2f51bb1d5d7b11eed22beabfe.jpeg

Omg. I'm pretty sure that's the gown I tried on, knowing that I couldn't afford it, but wanting to get an idea how the style looked on me. I fell in love with it.  I've thought of that dress so often over the past 25 years. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although I never married, I most likely would have just gone by myself to choose a dress as it seems like there are many times when a bride really liked a dress and then the entourage shot it down and the brides were devastated as they felt they couldn't get the dress after that.

I was 23 when I purchased my wedding dress.  My mother was working hard to support three daughters on her own and from age 13 I pretty much bought/ made my own clothes. We never went shopping with our mother--she was just too busy, tired, and practical. I didn't even consider taking girlfriends because I'd never taken anyone when clothes-shopping.  I loved my dress (1964) on sale at "the" department store: Goldwater's.  Good thing I didn't take my mother; I later learned she "hated" my dress.  I paid for everything for the wedding (she couldn't afford to help or she would have). We did split the cost of the reception. Nice hotel--no alcohol (too expensive): only cake and punch.  Common for a Phoenix Catholic wedding in the 1960s.

KayWillenaWEDDINGdress.jpg.ee0f6015258742033415225d791310ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

It's a nice story, but it also seemingly was created just for the show (look how happy we are even when they don't buy a dress).  Yes, I'm being overly cynical.  

I was thinking the same thing, but then thought that maybe they just wanted to have that Kleinfeld experience together while they could.  It was nice of them to accommodate them in that way.

17 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

High neck, low back might be best.

I was surprised that they didn't pull some higher-neck options.  Maybe the backs weren't low enough in those.  Surely they had a few that they could've had her try on.  

• Like 3