Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: No Pun Intended

• Start Topic

(edited)

Examples of groups that have a common bond.   

LPA is Little People of America

Mensa is a high IQ society 

Mensa is a great example. Some people with high IQs apparently feel the need for such a group. Probably the vast majority feels no such need for they are quite comfortable forming relationships in the ordinary ways of shared interests, beliefs, affections. Perhaps the same is true of many little people. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 6
(edited)

Mensa is a great example. Some people with high IQs apparently feel the need for such a group. Probably the vast majority feels no such need for they are quite comfortable forming relationships in the ordinary ways of shared interests, beliefs, affections. Perhaps the same is true of many little people. 

I am sure Jen and Bill are likely members of LPA, I found this excerpt from her blog:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/little-couple/jen-blog-how-we-got-on-tv/

"Another funny part of this story is that I actually do know Matt Roloff [of Little People, Big World]. Matt and I met years before either of us had a TV show, it was at a Little People of America conference back when he was president of the organization. There's a book published about that conference that features a photo of Matt and a photo of me. In the book we are featured on the same page, but we are in separate photographs from the same conference."

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I've know a few Mensa members; they were all too eager to proclaim their high IQs when nobody even asked, and to school people who didn't need it.  Small wonder they found a group to join - nobody else had the tolerance for their pedantic scheisslochery.

I think Jen would be a really good girlfriend: I'd watch her shoe shop, but I'd rather know where she gets those pretty, pretty glasses I could never afford!  Bill would be a great guy-friend to have a beer with, or bond over untucked shirts and khaki shorts while going for a drive in our SVUs (I mean, SUVs).  And just maybe I'd like to borrow his "handicapped" placard when I limp my way out of Walmart overloaded with cheap cat food, too!   Yes, I am STILL wearing the wannabe foot cast, still limping, and apparently still whining & whingeing!   I may need to find me a foot doctor, and/or a head shrinker!  :-)

• Love 2

lol lol lol walnutqueen!  Who knew you attended a Mensa meeting in Germany!  

Now you're just trying to flatter me, and I am already sorta in lurve with you, silly girl!  I've never been to Germany or a Mensa meeting, and was only guessing at the spelling ... I speak some passable Kraut, and can even read it when forced at gunpoint, but writing or spelling that infernal language?  Nein!  My German vocabulary is seriously lacking scope, too,  because I only spoke it with my old Oma, who died some years ago and had very few interests (and my Opa was a saint who didn't swear in any language!) ... 

I really DO covet Jen's pretty, pretty glasses (and Bill's immaculate garage floor).  heh.  :-)

• Love 2

With Jen working full time, I kind of doubt she really has time to spend with friends. Not to say she does not have them, probably just not a lot of time to go out and play like she used to. Especially with the kids now. Im guessing most of the folks she socializes with are work-related.  Although about a month ago, Bill tweeted that he was sending Jen to the spa for an overnight stay while he watched the kids. Maybe she went with a friend or two or maybe with her mom. Have no idea about Bill but i suppose he socializes locally with people he does business with. Seems that most of his friends are from New York.

• Love 3

This discussion has made me think. I have a handful of friends. Two girlfriends I've staying in daily contact with for the last 28 years, one lives 3000 miles away, the other 7,000. I have a couple guy friends that I'm close to in NY and then a few women I know but not really well. I'm not sure I could round up a bunch of people for a tv show.

I've always felt like I have tons of friends.

• Love 6

Hi I am new here and I have enjoyed reading the comments here both pro and con. I do like the Little Couple but some of the observations posted have me seeing the show in a different light.

• Love 1

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a long time because the show isn't on and so I haven't been checking the forum much, but I'm supposed to be studying for a test that is tomorrow (nursing school) so clearly this is a good time to get caught up on the forum.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but a few pages back (in January... Since real time is not measured in forum pages) I asked for prayers for my mom, she was diagnosed with cancer, and her doctor was dr.diaz-Arrastia from the show... I just wanted to thank you all for the positive thoughts/prayers, you were so kind even though you are all complete strangers. My mom passed away 5 weeks after her diagnosis, in February. While I'm incredibly sad she is gone, in a weird way I am thankful it happened so quickly, had she known the diagnosis sooner she would have worried nonstop, so I think the oblivion was a blessing in this case. Also, she was never in pain I was there the last few days, I took a break from nursing school to be there, and I never heard her complain about pain once (minus the time I accidentally punched her with the bed rail). Anyhoo, I know it was several pages ago, but I wanted everyone to know that I greatly appreciated the kindness here.

• Love 8

Oh leighroda - so sorry to read your sad news. It is really hard to lose your mom. I still "talk" to mine, and have every day for 16+ years. Thoughts, prayers and a big warm cyber-squeeze headed your way. God bless...

• Love 1

Leighroda I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to spend that time with her, and that she wasn't in pain, but I'm sure it's still painful for you. My thoughts are with you.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

Leighroda, I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing, but as you say, she didn't have much time to worry about it. I hope you're doing well - I'm glad to hear you're pursuing your studies as a nurse. I'm sure you'll be a fine one. 

• Love 1

I posted this on the Our Little Family forum. I will post it here too. Last night during Our Little Family, TL C had a commercial for 7 Little Johnstons. It said that the season premiere for the show was March 31.

That makes 4 little people family shows on TLC. The Little Couple, 7 Little Johnstons, Our Little Family, and Little People Big World (which is still going to air new episodes this year). It seems like a lot of shows with the same theme to me. I wonder what is going on at TL C.

IMO, not one heck of a lot. Zero creativity or imagination at the producing & management level, that's for sure. If something works, they duplicate it as much as they can. Thank God there aren't many families with 15-20 kids around...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Thank you everybody, I am so touched by all of your kindness. I actually picked back up in school 2 weeks ago. For the most part it has been a welcome distraction, but today we talked about hospice care so that hit a little close to home.

I'm extremely thankful (oh lord, I'm starting to sound like a duggar) for the fact that I did have training as a nurse (im almost done with school I graduate in July) because I feel like it allowed me to take care of her the best I could, and without the added stress of having to learn to do any extra procedures (like bathing, administering oxygen, giving morphine).

• Love 3

I'm extremely thankful (oh lord, I'm starting to sound like a duggar) for the fact that I did have training as a nurse (im almost done with school I graduate in July) because I feel like it allowed me to take care of her the best I could, and without the added stress of having to learn to do any extra procedures (like bathing, administering oxygen, giving morphine).

You are sounding the opposite of a Duggar!

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 7

IMO, not one heck of a lot. Zero creativity or imagination at the producing & management level, that's for sure. If something works, they duplicate it as much as they can. Thank God there aren't many families with 15-20 kids around...

They sure do like to wear out a certain theme.     I am wondering now with all these sex shows, some on TLC , that they will take the little people theme one step further and create another show.   The Little Co(u)p-ulation?

I remember sometime ago, someone mentioned that TLC was posting at LPOA for lesbian/gay people, so who the heck knows what the future holds.

the shows feature little people but that is all they have in common. they are quite different people with different issues.

It's like saying there are many reality shows with tall people. Yes, there are! Kardashians Duggars, etc., they have nothing in common with each other.

• Love 1

I'm excited that 7 Little Johnstons is getting their own show.  I really liked them based on the 1 special they had.  They seem really down to earth.

I don't watch Little People, Big World or Our Little Family.

I am looking forward to 7 Little Johnstons too. Even though I know that the TL C formula is not good for families, I continue to watch their shows. Oh well, people don't always do what's right and the families involved want the viewers and the paycheck. I think that when TL C adds new families, it's more interesting. I think we've probably seen everything there is to see about the Kleins at this point. I don't think they have anything left that would interest people that much.

Agree in general, but they do still have little kids, which is always a draw for "reality" shows. I also think viewers would probably be interested to see Will & Zoey talking intelligibly too and, although he's without a doubt making progress, that could still be a while for Will. Zoey will be chattering away very soon, if she isn't already.

So all this talk about aquariums reminds me of when my niece was a wee little indulged-by-her-auntie thing.  She fell in love with these teeny tiny little froggies, and I set up an aquarium for her in her room at my house (every other weekend arrangement for many years).  Those two little suckers required forcep feeding of live tiny worms; I grew the worms and fed the frogs for years, because they WOULD NOT DIE.  I remember even my old Mum, who housesat for my cats once, and abhors everything creepy crawly, was convinced to feed those fucking little frogs!  I also gave my niece an aquarium setup for her room at home, and she had a beloved Betta who also lived for many, many years.  Great memories.

I no longer have aquariums, my goldfish ponds are a distant memory, but the swampwater at the bottom of my empty swimming pool houses hundreds (if not thousands) of mosquito fish.  I started with 3 freebies from a County Vector Control program; now I have to throw them dry cat food to sustain the teeming school.  I just love those little guys as if they were precious rare Koi fish!  :-)

• Love 5
(edited)

I have a lionhead goldfish.  He was just a little guy when we got him years ago, but he's now about 6 inches and quite chubby.

He was recently rather sick, and was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank.  After much googling, I determined he had a swim bladder issue due to constipation (of all things).  A quick bath in some Epsom salt (a laxative), and a diet of green peas (also a laxative) did the trick.  He's upright again, and a very happy fish.

My mom confessed that she had been feeding him every time she walked by his tank.  So that problem was solved.  It's funny how attached I am to him.  He actually has a personality, and he's adorable. 

Edited by Honey
  • Love 6

I've got goldfish that started off teeny tiny and came from the fair. He's got to be about 8-10" long by now (haven't measured in awhile).  I know when his slightly larger buddy died it was 12" long and almost 2 lbs - I couldn't believe it. They really do grow on you. And oh my gosh yes the peas!  I had no idea constipation was such an issue for goldfish. Peas are a regular part of his diet now.

• Love 4

FYI - my trusty Uverse DVR is recording a "new" 3 hour episode tonight (Monday) called "Adoption Story".  The TLC website is also calling it a premiere.  I have no description available, and it may just be a compilation/clip show, but I wouldn't want anyone to miss it.  I'll post this reminder in tomorrow's episode thread, too for all my fellow fanatics.  :-)

• Love 1

FYI - my trusty Uverse DVR is recording a "new" 3 hour episode tonight (Monday) called "Adoption Story".  The TLC website is also calling it a premiere.  I have no description available, and it may just be a compilation/clip show, but I wouldn't want anyone to miss it.  I'll post this reminder in tomorrow's episode thread, too for all my fellow fanatics.  :-)

Thanks girl.  I totally would have missed it, if I hadn't seen your post.

• Love 2

I'm a senile moron - they are both on summer hiatus.  Keep an eye out for reruns, though, or hopefully they'll do a marathon of Dr. Pol.  I believe both shows were airing on Saturday evenings - but don't take my word for it - I don't pay much attention to that whole "time" concept.  :-)

The website probably has some nice video content for both shows, if you're in to that.

I'm taking my aunt (who lives in Naples, FL) to Dr. Pols office in early August. She's addicted to the show. 

Before she passed my mom used to live on Ft. Myers Beach. I was able to go about every two years.

I lived in Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Lehigh Acres from 1970-2007. I miss it somedays but when it's rainy here in Pittsburgh during the summer I feel like I'm right back there. It wasn't always great growing up in SW Florida. During the summer it rains EVERY stinking day. Sometimes for minutes other times for hours. You just never knew. 

• Love 2

My sister loves Dr. Pol too--she told me about him and I watched his show with my 9 year old granddaughter who wants to be a veterinarian.  Now she loves the show too.  Doesn't matter how gross it is, she wants to keep watching, she says "I'll be doing this someday.  I need to see it."  

• Love 2