Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: No Pun Intended

• Start Topic

Geese can be aggressive too--I've seen it!  Many years ago, we had a family picnic at the local city park.  My sister-in-law was trying to shoo the geese away from our food and one of them came up behind her and literally GOOSED her!  We were all trying not to laugh because it startled the heck out of her, but how many times in your life do you see a goose goose someone?  

• Love 2

Ha walnutqueen, what would you do if there were more than two thousand confused geese the size of golden retrievers? I think they are gorgeous. I wish they wore diapers.

Probably go broke feeding them.  :-)

I grew up steps away from Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park (Vancouver, B.C.), so am no stranger to Canadian geese and their poop,  It is a lot easier for me to tolerate than some of the BS people sling on the interwebz.  ;-)

• Love 3

LOL!

I have a problem... with Canadian geese who do not know where Canada is. They have taken over the cemetery where my daughter is buried. At first I was charmed. They are beautiful to look at for a day..or two. But when they don't GO HOME they leave tons of shit! I am so frustrated. I want them to hire border collies to chase the geese out. No geese will be harmed, they are trained not to bite geese. (although at this point...) One cannot walk around without getting green geese poop all over their feet.

My contribution to the small talk thread. If they don't do something... I might throw rocks! But there are so many damn geese. :-(

My condolences about your daughter.  

Geese can be aggressive too--I've seen it!  Many years ago, we had a family picnic at the local city park.  My sister-in-law was trying to shoo the geese away from our food and one of them came up behind her and literally GOOSED her!  We were all trying not to laugh because it startled the heck out of her, but how many times in your life do you see a goose goose someone?  

Yea my friend had some on her farm when we were growing up and those m-f'ers were mean!  And peacocks too!!!

During the spring/summer/fall I like to go walking on some paths in the next town over.  There are always a ton of geese.  They are used to people so they aren't aggressive but they still freak me out so I try to avoid them.  Once I was on a path and there were many on each sides of the path to where I couldn't really get around them.. I just had to keep walking on the path and hope for the best.  lol

And good lord the poop on these paths in some spots... Its really gross. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 3

Bouncing to small talk to continue the kids in cars discussion.  When I was but a kitten, one of four, we rounded a corner and the door on our station wagon that was supposed to be broken/unopenable flew open.  My brother was holding on to the inside handle so he stayed with the door.  My mother did a quick grab and pulled him back in.  We were lucky he was so tall (now 6'8") that his legs were still in the car or he would have been on the street.  

After that we had a white Dodge van with the engine compartment in between the two front seats.  As the youngest, I had to sit on the engine.  First, it got really hot.  Really. Hot. Second, I was not secured in any way.  So it was up to everyone else to help keep me in place if we stopped short.  I envy kids with car seats!  

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Bouncing to small talk to continue the kids in cars discussion.  When I was but a kitten, one of four, we rounded a corner and the door on our station wagon that was supposed to be broken/unopenable flew open.  My brother was holding on to the inside handle so he stayed with the door.  My mother did a quick grab and pulled him back in.  We were lucky he was so tall (now 6'8") that his legs were still in the car or he would have been on the street.  

After that we had a white Dodge van with the engine compartment in between the two front seats.  As the youngest, I had to sit on the engine.  First, it got really hot.  Really. Hot. Second, I was not secured in any way.  So it was up to everyone else to help keep me in place if we stopped short.  I envy kids with car seats!  

Well that brings up a story that happened with Mr. lookeyloo.  He was about 8 when his mother was driving a big car, back in the olden days, no seat belts, and turned a corner and Mr. lookeyloo actually fell out and the other kids had to yell at mom that he fell out!  He must have bounced but he does remember it as not a great experience, plus mom paying no attention to the other kids!!  When I was a baby, way back post WWII, I was small enough to Stand On the Front Seat!! And when he stopped, my father put his arm out to keep me from falling!  those were the (good old?) days?  

• Love 4

I remember falling out of our car as a child. I can recall a car driving over me, but, not actually hitting me. I understand that since it was a busy 4 lane road it would have been more dangerous for them to slam on their brakes. I was unhurt and my parents came back for me. They also tied me to a tree when my mom cleaned our trailer. We lived on a lake and every time she finished cleaning inside the door and went to the back I went in and destroyed the kitchen. A family friend and my little cousin, both, drowned in that lake. It sounds horribly abusive what she did, but, I could play throughout the yard, she could hear if I called for her, but, I couldn't get in the front door. I'm alive and don't begrudge my mother, a young woman with doing what she had to. I wouldn't actually do it myself, but, early 70's were a different time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I remember falling out of our car as a child. I can recall a car driving over me, but, not actually hitting me. I understand that since it was a busy 4 lane road it would have been more dangerous for them to slam on their brakes. I was unhurt and my parents came back for me. They also tied me to a tree when my mom cleaned our trailer. We lived on a lake and every time she finished cleaning inside the door and went to the back I went in and destroyed the kitchen. A family friend and my little cousin, both, drowned in that lake. It sounds horribly abusive what she did, but, I could play throughout the yard, she could hear if I called for her, but, I couldn't get in the front door. I'm alive and don't begrudge my mother, a young woman with doing what she had to. I wouldn't actually do it myself, but, early 70's were a different time.

Isn't that the truth.  Times are different.

• Love 1

OMG, the contractor... He told them that the job would be done in 6 weeks. After 3 1/2 months, he was FINALLY almost, not 100%, done. You would think that since he was on nationwide TV, he would have come in on time. Nope.

We are currently having our kitchen redone. The contractor told us that it would take 1 month. We are currently at 2 months. It's still not close to done. 

Everyone that I talk to tells the same story. I guess as a profession, all contractors suck. If they all suck, they have no competition and don't even have to try to keep their word.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Libby said:

OMG, the contractor... He told them that the job would be done in 6 weeks. After 3 1/2 months, he was FINALLY almost, not 100%, done. You would think that since he was on nationwide TV, he would have come in on time. Nope.

We are currently having our kitchen redone. The contractor told us that it would take 1 month. We are currently at 2 months. It's still not close to done. 

Everyone that I talk to tells the same story. I guess as a profession, all contractors suck. If they all suck, they have no competition and don't even have to try to keep their word.

They don't all suck. Things happen - weather, things don't come in from suppliers when they are supposed to, sub contractors can't make it the very day they "should" start because of another job they started before yours, finding hidden issues in walls, ceilings and floors that need to be addressed - all adds to the time. Then there are the change orders that almost homeowner does, which costs money and time. My dad was a contractor for 40 years built dozens of houses, remodeled many more. Sometimes he came in on time, sometimes he didn't, but it isn't always in the contractor's control. He told me my house remodel - 750 sq ft house, would take 1 month. It was 2 1/2 months. Stuff happens. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

My dad was a contractor for 40 years built dozens of houses, remodeled many more. Sometimes he came in on time, sometimes he didn't, but it isn't always in the contractor's control. He told me my house remodel - 750 sq ft house, would take 1 month. It was 2 1/2 months. Stuff happens. 

I would think that after 40 years, a contractor would know to allow time for things going wrong.

At least then, customers could plan for a realistic time frame. It's very hard and expensive to live without a kitchen. If they knew the true time frame in the beginning, they could save themselves grief and money.

My husband and I have not changed one thing since our deal was set up with the contractor. 

At this point, I truly doubt that my kitchen will be done by Christmas. Contractors lie, lie, lie.

Ask anybody that ever had work done on their house.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 2

House renovations always take longer and cost more than the original plan/budget regardless is what I have experienced.  Part of the problem is getting the subs to show up when they are needed plus the other issues raised.

• Love 1