Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: No Pun Intended

• Start Topic

Hi auntl!  I was just thinking of you this morning as I was watching an old Aussie coot in a schlong thong wish for a Love Shack mate on Where the Wild Men Are.  :-D

My television viewing is eclectic, so eventually I'll score a hit with someone, eh!  :-)

• Love 3

I stopped reading the threads here due to all the animosity.  I still watch the show.   Can't say I'm a fan of the new threads pro or con.  Perhaps I am the only one who sees good and bad things about the show?

• Love 2

I stopped reading the threads here due to all the animosity.  I still watch the show.   Can't say I'm a fan of the new threads pro or con.  Perhaps I am the only one who sees good and bad things about the show?

You are not. There are already people making points on both threads. 

• Love 2

Hi WalnutQueen - good to 'see' you.

I'm too lazy to bounce around threads.  I'll come back when the new season starts.

Starting to get into General Hospital.  Prefer the fakety fake soap opera versus the pseudo reality shown on TLC, Bravo and the like.  Knowing it's all fake and no one is getting hurt, upset etc, gives me less agita.

• Love 2

I guess I will introduce myself too, I live in Cincinnati and I am 40 years old, single with 1 fur baby. I recently bought my first home so I have been dvring the program. I tell you if Will and Zoey weren't on TLC would have cancelled it. I am on disability so I watch reality tv everything. I live through some of these shows. Yes, I watch all of the housewives franchises, for entertainment only. I suffer from lupus and have a lot of painful days so to see these women argue over nothing, literally helps he cope in some weird way. It is so ridiculous you have to laugh. So I ask this question to all of you. What do you do for a living? How old are you? What other reality shows do you watch besides TLC?

• Love 1
(edited)

Eributterfly, I'm from Cleveland, but live abt 1hr NW of Chicago now (boo!)

I have RRMS, but do pretty well. I take meds, but don't have to go to injection treatment.

I like to watch 'Who Are You' , Mysteries at the Museum, & H2. I've just started watching Game of Thrones on 'On Demand' and am loving it.

Oh, abd I'm a huge Starsky & Hutch fan.

Anyone else?

Edited by roamyn

Figured I would put this here, but I was freaking out slightly a bit tonight when a picture of a high school friend of mine showed up on my facebook news feed of him talking to Jen Arnold.  Apparently she was a keynote speaker at a hospital opening in DE and he was there for a nonprofit company he works with.  He said she was super nice and a good speaker.  I did tell him I was quite jealous and would like to meet her some day, just preferably in a non stalker way lol.

• Love 7

Pictures generally get the forum busy. News tidbits too. You could start a selected episode re-watch to spur discussion. I'm not down for a total rewatch but maybe 3 episodes would be fine. The trouble starts when the conversation isn't moving or the posts are meant to start an argument. 

As an illustration, would everyone that is sick of hearing about school, swimming pools, and the horrors of being on tv please like this post?

• Love 21

Pictures generally get the forum busy. News tidbits too. You could start a selected episode re-watch to spur discussion. I'm not down for a total rewatch but maybe 3 episodes would be fine. The trouble starts when the conversation isn't moving or the posts are meant to start an argument. 

As an illustration, would everyone that is sick of hearing about school, swimming pools, and the horrors of being on tv please like this post?

wrestlesflamingos, on 09 Oct 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

You forgot potty training. ;)

• Love 9

Mtnrunner, were you saying that New Day only goes through adoption agencies to get the children adopted? They don't deal directly with the general public? I wasn't sure that I understood your post correctly. After your post, I could see how Jen and Bill promoting the organization could be more trouble than it's worth.

New Day is a foster home only, they have no say or have anything to do with the adoption of the children there.  For a child in China to get adopted they must be on the shared list that is shared out each month to approved agencies.  Some agencies get dibs on certain kids for a certain amount of time (no idea how that works) and then other kids on the shared list are open to any approved adoption agency.  The original orphange for each child at New Day controls when (and to a degree if) that child will ever be posted to the shared list.  The orphanage will have the shared list id for the child but they don't share that with New Day.  New Day has no idea when a child in their care is posted to the shared list (unless someone tells them which is rare).  Even the name that will be on the shared list will not necessarily match up with the name from New Day, the Chinese name, or any other name that has been associated with a child.  It's not unusual for adoptive parents to not know their child is at New Day (and that they could of been sending gifts, cards, etc) until late in the adoption process if at all.  Some parents find out right away but it's rare.  So my long-winded answer is yes, New Day does not deal with the general public for adoptions.

• Love 2

Thanks Mtnrunner!  So great to hear the inside scoop on how this works.  So am I understanding correctly that these children at New Day have little chance of being adopted?  

Edited by jodo

Thanks Mtnrunner!  So great to hear the inside scoop on how this works.  So am I understanding correctly that these children at New Day have little chance of being adopted?  

Not necessarily.  Some (as is the case in many Chinese orphanges, foster homes, etc) have parents/relatives that are incarcerated and will never relinquish the child but have no intent on ever taking care of the child. The rest are dependent on their original orphanges to list their information on the shared list.  Eventually their orphanages will do that but New Day has no part of that.  Once they are on the shared list a child's chances are as good as any other special needs child on the shared list.

• Love 3

Since there is not a thread about them, has anyone seen the new TLC show called the 7 Little Andersons. It is about a little family that has 5 children, 2 birth and 3 adopted. I wonder what you all think about them.

I know its really slow for this show. It's probably not going to pick up before March, the rumored return date. It might make sense to find a hiatus show to fill the gap. The link below lists all of PTV's stories. These are short, snarky write up about a show's episode. It gives you a chance to sample whats out there and see if anything appeals to you.

Please use the Thanks heart if you enjoy a story. Our writers are wonderful people.

http://forums.previously.tv/tags/forums/Story/

• Love 3

Merry Christmas everyone! Or Happy Holidays! And a Happy New Year to ALL!

And to you Jellybeans, and all here as well. Dickens said it first - and better than I ever could: "God bless us all, everyone!"

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 4

I love "The Little Couple Show" and I'm also a follower of New Day Foster Home. I remember reading about a mention about how Will was a TV star in USA and they were watching at NDFH.  I found the link.....enjoy.

http://newdayfosterhome.blogspot.com/2014/03/where-they-are-now-will.html

One of the commenters said they had seen Will and his family in FL this summer and how nice they all were. That's neat. Loved your link. 

• Love 2

"Professionals" can take 6 seats back from Sundays.  I would've bolded this, but apparently my less-than-ideal Mother taught me some manners, and I taught her how to hug, say "I love you" and swear like a fucking sailor, only a little too late in my life to make me whole.

While I'm on a roll, I think it is most unseemly and more than a little pervy to be checking out any child's bottom for evidence of diapers or pull ups.  

Sorry, folks, but I am still coming down from a 5 day marathon of The Wired after being forsaken by most of my loved ones, and am feeling particularly stabby tonight.  There's nothing like going from KILL,KILL,KILL of The Wired to the nicest show ever, and then regretting reading about it here.

Edited by wrestlesflamingos
tone
  • Love 6

Awww Walnutqueen, binge-watching The Wire and then reading this forum will make anyone stabby.  It's best not to mix the two.  Like a fine wine and rot-gut moonshine.

Happy New Year to you!  If you're like me, you are very happy the holidays are gone for another year.

• Love 2

"Professionals" can take 6 seats back from Sundays.

LOLOLOL, I laughed and laughed at this... As I have said before I am deaf and have MS (no connection) and I think 6 seats back is still a mite close.... heheh.

Thanks for this gem.

• Love 1

Steff said (in Bill's Birthday Surprise thread) :

4leafclover, on 01 Jan 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

@walnutqueen and @Jellybeans--may I go too?  You can stay at my house as a consolation!  But we'll have to be careful with the astronaut diapers--it'll get tongues wagging!  lol

Well now I gotta come with too!  and I'm from Houston (but not there now), so I can get us around town following them while looking like Native Houstonians & not potential adoptees/stalking fangirls.

I guess we're going to need a party bus for this road trip, eh!

I am now curious how one dresses to look like a native Houstonian, Steff.  I hope that, much like here in SoCal, untucked shirts & khaki shorts are perfectly acceptable, because that's dressing up for me!  :-)

I'll leave the impeccable dressing to Jen & Zoey.  As much as I loathe shopping, I would love to tag along with Jen when she's buying cute things - especially Zoey's pink sparkle boots (I cannot seem to get those darned things out of my mind!).

• Love 1

Yes auntl, I found that interesting as well and it makes sense to me.

They bought a fixer upper and are doing all the improvements themselves.  Its a contract to Bill and Jen, who obviously are more well off and can afford to build a custom built house.

I fought it interesting that families of little people exist, where all the children are little people as well (not including adopted children).  I guess this is just my ignorance about genetics.

The dad's family is all little people.  His sister, a little person has an average size daughter and a little person sized daughter.  He and his wife's first two children are little people.

In contrast the Roloff's, both little people have 3 average sized kids and 1 little person sized child.

I really enjoyed the show and will continue to watch.  The kids are all great, especially Alex who seems to have a big personality.

• Love 2

I think because Jen is a full foot shorter than the mom is in this family, and because she can afford it, a custom house is the best way to go.  My guess is Jen has adapted all her life and still has to do so.  She might as well be comfortable at home.  You go to college, medical school, do internships and residencies + get a masters degree so you can have nice things and be comfortable.

• Love 10

I think because Jen is a full foot shorter than the mom is in this family, and because she can afford it, a custom house is the best way to go.  My guess is Jen has adapted all her life and still has to do so.  She might as well be comfortable at home.  You go to college, medical school, do internships and residencies + get a masters degree so you can have nice things and be comfortable.

Yeah, Jen is tiny compared to the mom in this family and Amy Roloff.  I think Bill mentioned that his and Jen's dwarfism are rare.  I think this family all have achondroplasia which is the most common form of dwarfism and less susceptible to health issues.  Although in this episode their oldest daughter was recovering from a fusion I believe.

I think both families are doing whats best for them.  Personally, I agree with you that hey if you can afford it, why not make your life easier.

• Love 1

Is there a thread for the Johnston show??  They showed an episode awhile back even though this was considered the season premier so I guess the first one was to just see how it would go?  In that one they were in their previous house so I was all confused about this new house.  In the old house (which was a pretty nice middle class house) they would PAINT their walls before having any major family gatherings.  So them being in a fixer-upper house kinda threw me for a loop. 

Oh my gosh, from a few pages back Dr. Pol is a terrible horrible vet.  His clinic has been cited several times for problems.  He did a hip surgery for hip dysplasia on a dog without proper anesthetic, when he had it available.  A tail amputation with no anesthetic.I can't bring myself to watch his shows at all.  He was cited for negligence and incompetence.

http://vetsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/search?q=dr+pol

Edited by Eater of Worlds

Oh my gosh, from a few pages back Dr. Pol is a terrible horrible vet.  His clinic has been cited several times for problems.  He did a hip surgery for hip dysplasia on a dog without proper anesthetic, when he had it available.  A tail amputation with no anesthetic.I can't bring myself to watch his shows at all.  He was cited for negligence and incompetence.

http://vetsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/search?q=dr+pol

OMG that sounds horrible!  Those poor animals. :(

I only watched the first couple minutes of the Johnson show before I went to bed, but I think both parents are taller than Bill. I think one said they were 4'2" and the other 4'1".  Bill is 4' tall and Jen is like 3'2". There seems to be two schools of thought on the adaptions in the house issue. Some do, and some don't. If you can afford it like Jen and Bill, why not? Like someone said above, if you can't be comfortable in your own home, where can you be? I know Amy Roloff has said more than once her parents made no adaptions for her, she's the only little person in her family. And not for nothing, she strikes me as bitter about it every time she says it. Can everyone's house hold or support an elevator? No. But trust me, plenty of people have stair lifts in their homes to get up the steps including custom built curved units. My techs install them almost every day. Full elevators, no. But small platform lifts to get a wheel chair up a small set up steps without a ramp? Yes. We don't do a ton of those, but we just received one yesterday for a client. A home is an investment for life, why not make it as suitable to your life as possible. The rest of the outside world will always be a struggle or too tall, I'd hate to come home and deal with it some more if it was me. 

• Love 7

Fostersmom - my house doesn't have stairs, but it does have a step down into my "family room" that I recently tripped on and sprained my foot.  Trying to get around with my Mum's wheely walker thing was hell (can't use crutches because of disabled arms, and even leaning on the walker has screwed up my shoulders).  Forget stepping into the bathtub/shower combo, and getting around corners & such.  The older I get, the more I wish for a "Universal Design (?)" style remodel that would enable me to remain independent and living alone in my own home until the day I die.  If I had the funds, I'd remodel the hell out of this place with wheelchair friendly design and easy access to the kitchen, bath and back yard where my critters need feeding.  Because seeing my Mum get older and frailer by the years has really hit home for me.  She broke her hip, pelvis & wrist a year ago and is STILL trying to recover.  God only knows how she'll manage here the next time she visits.  ;-)

• Love 5