Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Tech, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll

paigow

A nefarious virus is uploaded to Walter's computer, turning the team's new ``smart'' building project into a death trap with people locked inside.

DVR Note: 90 minutes starting at 9:30

So... Sylvester is dangling over the side of the building.... and there's no fire department activity??? how long does it take to get a second chopper up to get him?... And meawhile,  Walter is fighting with Richard?.... why is this show such a cartoon all the time? Only these 3 buffoons can come up with a rescue plan - the fire dept of their big city and all disaster companies can't think of one? Shaking my head.

• Love 5

Only these 3 buffoons can come up with a rescue plan - the fire dept of their big city and all disaster companies can't think of one? Shaking my head.

Must not be 'geniuses' like the Scorpion team.

So... Sylvester is dangling over the side of the building.... and there's no fire department activity??? how long does it take to get a second chopper up to get him?... And meawhile,  Walter is fighting with Richard?.... why is this show such a cartoon all the time? Only these 3 buffoons can come up with a rescue plan - the fire dept of their big city and all disaster companies can't think of one? Shaking my head.

The show is about team Scorpion what do you expect.

Edited by mommalib

I am so uneasy around heights, I was getting sick watching this episode. My stomach was flipping out.

I like Happy. I was glad to hear her tell Toby to knock it off.

They keep putting Sylvester in danger, like he's the show's resident Damsel in need of rescue. I think it's time to switch things up a bit, because I like him and he handled things very well with the kids, etc.-- but it's getting to be a repetitive plot twist.

Paige never sweats or wrinkles, apparently. She must have a steam iron embedded in her blouse.

Having Paige obsessing about Walter's social adventures during the crisis annoyed me. She and Toby both need to grow up. The show seems to think it's cute, but I find it as off-putting as Happy does.

The guy with the implant didn't know what he was doing, by standing there/rebooting the worm? And Cabe yelled "freeze" at a guy who was standing still and looking away in another direction, instead of just walking up on him and grabbing him up close?

And yet I watch. I still don't know why, but there it is.

• Love 6

I was convinced that Toby was going to show off his new fighting skills by knocking out a few of Walter's teeth.  Walter technically killed him, yet no repurcussions from Toby OR Happy; I thought this was the most implausable thing about the entire episode (and that's saying a LOT!).

I like Richard the billionaire, and enjoy his support of the Scorpion team.  I hope he continues to pop up occasionally.

Paige did a great job this episode!  She really took charge, and I liked it.  Sure, she was in a jealous fit, but she worked well with Cabe and took some initiative to help solve the case.

That building was a real death-trap!  Whose idea was designing a building completely controlled by computers?  Have they never seen any science fiction movie, ever?!?!

• Love 10

I am so uneasy around heights, I was getting sick watching this episode. My stomach was flipping out.

Right there with you... I am absolutely terrified of heights. All I could think of when those kids were climbing up the rope ladder is that even if the building was on fire I doubt I'd be able to do it. I was shaking. 

As far as the rest of the episode, I still love this show. Sure it's silly but it's fun and I like the characters. I don't always want my TV to be deep and meaningful. 

• Love 2

Having Paige obsessing about Walter's social adventures during the crisis annoyed me. She and Toby both need to grow up. The show seems to think it's cute, but I find it as off-putting as Happy does.

It's really annoying and distracting, everyone knows nothing is going to happen or change anything in the end.

I like Happy. I was glad to hear her tell Toby to knock it off.

They keep putting Sylvester in danger, like he's the show's resident Damsel in need of rescue. I think it's time to switch things up a bit, because I like him and he handled things very well with the kids, etc.-- but it's getting to be a repetitive plot twist.

Paige never sweats or wrinkles, apparently. She must have a steam iron embedded in her blouse.

The guy with the implant didn't know what he was doing, by standing there/rebooting the worm? And Cabe yelled "freeze" at a guy who was standing still and looking away in another direction, instead of just walking up on him and grabbing him up close?

And yet I watch. I still don't know why, but there it is.

I have no problem with Paige obsessing over Walter. Just making it more clear where the relationship will eventually head. No big deal.

I was disappointed "Too Shy" wasn't the key to putting out the fire. /Kajagoogoo fan

I wondered by Sylvester didn't at least try to knock over the aquarium. It may not stop the fire completely, but it might keep it from being a pit to Hell or whatever fun phrase he used.

Why couldn't the helicopter/whatever was shining the lights on Happy, Toby, Sylvester and Walter at the windows shine that light at the solar panels to activate them? They were pretty bright also.

With Toby as a friend, and now Ray, there hasn't been a Die Hard marathon at Scorpion's office? Really?  You have failed your genius, Agent Gallo!

Am I supposed to believe that the dude with the implant didn't understand that his worm would keep uploading with every reboot? But he was the one who wanted to embarrass/discredit/put egg on the face of his boss. Sure.  Also, Ms. Secretary who is working really late?* Quibbling over whether you use actual old-school keys or not isn't too helpful. If Deathwish O'Brien hadn't figured out how to help save the kids ( because, lets be clear- grown-ups can die, but news stories would paint the ones responsible as child-killers), you could be charged with obstruction or aiding and abetting.

* Since the whole shebang was supposed to start at "7 sharp", that secretary being at the office at around 8/9 at night seemed plot-contrived and hinky.  I know corporate secretaries may have to do the actual handling of paperwork, et.al., but that seemed really late to me.

I was glad that Richard seemed to come around and not be super-blame-y about Walter.  Richard seemed to have moved on to figuring out how to salvage the building and what to tell the folks he'd have to speak to about the disaster. Still, that both supposedly smart  businessmen would turn so completely on Walter, even with the very lame excuse Walter had, over an anonymous e-mail? Are these guys 12? Have they never had to face whisper campaigns in their rise to Rich Dudedom? *sigh*  When it was revealed as an actual anonymous e-mail, I was so over those dudes.

I did like the crossing the freeway gag, though that's something I wish they hadn't. (Too many folks take those risks and don't have stunt cars synch their timing with them.)

I could have handled a little of Jealous!Paige, but it was so crappily written, I hated it. I felt badly for McPhee, who had to roll with it as best she could.There were a couple of snarky lines I enjoyed, but overall, not a good look for Paige.

I hope Sylvester can mentor that ginger MiniMe version of Syl. He was smart and obviously really respected Sylvester stepping up and eventually being real.

I have no problem with Paige obsessing over Walter. Just making it more clear where the relationship will eventually head. No big deal.

How much more clear can it get without them having to hold up signs telling the audience what has already been obvious since the start of the series?

I was disappointed "Too Shy" wasn't the key to putting out the fire. /Kajagoogoo fan

<snip>

I was glad that Richard seemed to come around and not be super-blame-y about Walter.  Richard seemed to have moved on to figuring out how to salvage the building and what to tell the folks he'd have to speak to about the disaster. Still, that both supposedly smart  businessmen would turn so completely on Walter, even with the very lame excuse Walter had, over an anonymous e-mail? Are these guys 12? Have they never had to face whisper campaigns in their rise to Rich Dudedom? *sigh*  When it was revealed as an actual anonymous e-mail, I was so over those dudes.

Yeah, I love Kajagoogoo.  Even the name makes me smile.

They might as well have read it in a slam book.

• Love 2

I could have handled a little of Jealous!Paige, but it was so crappily written, I hated it. I felt badly for McPhee, who had to roll with it as best she could.There were a couple of snarky lines I enjoyed, but overall, not a good look for Paige.

Agreed, they should just stick to the team dynamics.

The way the fire was handled still makes me shake my head. Why were only two floors on fire? Why didnt the fire dept have some kind of tool to break through the glass doors?They cant have been *that* impenetrable. Im still floored that the fire dept stood around helplessly while only Team Scorpion was able to  try a bunch of death-trap plans. And it takes a lot faster for a building to be engulfed in flames. The crowd downstairs was choking on smoke when they were let out, but the 3 scorpions were sitting happily breathing just 4 floors below the fire?

and... chiefly among all... ... normally, when a fire alarm goes off, all the doors automatically open. it's a code, a rule. I didnt watch the first half of the episode so maybe there's a reason I'm missing why the doors didnt auutomatically unlock. i should probably watch the first part of the episode to get the full story.

I was convinced that Toby was going to show off his new fighting skills by knocking out a few of Walter's teeth.  Walter technically killed him, yet no repurcussions from Toby OR Happy; I thought this was the most implausable thing about the entire episode (and that's saying a LOT!).

I'm an occasional Scorpion watcher, and this was the first episode I watched this season. It reminded me why I don't watch more often. The beyond implausible storylines are one thing, but Walter is such an asshole! And he always gets away with his shit. I can't stand him.

• Love 1

They cant have been *that* impenetrable. Im still floored that the fire dept stood around helplessly while only Team Scorpion was able to  try a bunch of death-trap plans

Because they're not 'geniuses'.

The beyond implausible storylines are one thing, but Walter is such an asshole! And he always gets away with his shit. I can't stand him.

Definitely my least favorite character.

Edited by Free
Have they never seen any science fiction movie, ever?!?!

This exact notion kept running through my mind for the entire episode, too, Gregg247.

OK, we had Frogger!Scorpion last night with Walter retrieving the hat, and last week we had Frogger!H50 with McGarrett retrieving a rolled up painting.  Is this just a coincidence, or will all the CBS shows participate in the game?  NCIS?  NCIS:LA?  NCIS:NOLA?  Criminal Minds?  If so, then that would be kind of cool.

one more gripe: really... Richard elia and his accomplice (I never quite got who that guy was and what he was doing there), didnt care that Sylvester was dangling 14 floors above ground and preferred to cut the power to the building rather than help get him out?... 

Ooh I found another one. Implant technology? Really? would you let your wrists be cut to have a chip implented into you to use as a key to open a door? Wow. i'd run for the hills instead of taking that job. also, wasnt the worm implanted in Walter's computer - how did Cabe and Paige realize that dan had the worm also implanted in his arm in a chip? Why would Dan need a chip on top of the worm in the laptop? To keep the doors locked?

I am full of questions.

Edited by Big Mother

I seem to remember a news story in the last year about some business in northern Europe that was trying implants with their employees.

Sorry, but those damn chips are going to be out-gassing or shedding all sorts of non-organic bits.  No one will be willing to pay me the rate I'd charge to have one of those things.  I'd rather be an active user of social media.

• Love 1

Implant technology? Really? would you let your wrists be cut to have a chip implented into you to use as a key to open a door? Wow. i'd run for the hills instead of taking that job. also, wasnt the worm implanted in Walter's computer - how did Cabe and Paige realize that dan had the worm also implanted in his arm in a chip? Why would Dan need a chip on top of the worm in the laptop? To keep the doors locked?

It was quite convoluted, but I thought they were sort of saying it wasn't actually on the laptop after all? Or maybe...what was on the laptop was a thing to allow the remote device to keep uploading the malware again and again, but the worm itself wasn't just on the laptop. So Walter couldn't just get rid of it? Which is inconsistent with the "just embarass everybody" thing because everything going wrong once would've been sufficient. Also I think those implants are injected under the skin? No slicing? I might be inventing that... not sure.

Bigger issue: giant fancy terrorism proof building, but lighter near a window and it's toast.

• Love 1

An unanswered question for me is:  Who wrote the worm????  Obviously it was no one shown in the episode, the executive with the implant caused it didn't even know what it would do.  Walter couldn't even defeat it and it exhibited very advanced malicious behavior.  Does this point to a nefarious evil genius character behind scenes or just poor writing?

• Love 1

Does this point to a nefarious evil genius character behind scenes or just poor writing?

I would've been interested in a rival/villain that could actually challenge the Scorpion team.

• Love 1

Bigger issue: giant fancy terrorism proof building, but lighter near a window and it's toast.

That was only bc the heat of the fire was bending the steel around the windows slightly, so that heating it up furhter would allow the gases between the windowpanes to explode.

But in general, an impenetrable building is a very thought out idea; it was a firetrap. There do need to be escape routes.

Edited by Big Mother

An unanswered question for me is:  Who wrote the worm????  Obviously it was no one shown in the episode, the executive with the implant caused it didn't even know what it would do.  Walter couldn't even defeat it and it exhibited very advanced malicious behavior.  Does this point to a nefarious evil genius character behind scenes or just poor writing?

I think given the culprit was someone who was developing biotech I don't think its implausible that he either knew who to build a worm like that or ate least knew someone who did.  And the second one too probably.

I like that Tom from Desperate housewives wasn't the bad guy I was thinking it was him too . His kid was not completely annoying either.  Maybe they could show up again the next time Richard does also.

Something that I noticed is that if the air was being sucked out of the room fast enough to crush a water bottle it should have done major damage to Toby as well. That type of rapid pressure change  should have burst his lungs, eyeballs and most of his blood vessels.I don't think we're done with the emotional fallout either. Considering we hear about Toby losing his hat for several episodes last year I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of this. Its going to take a while for Toby to trust Walter again and I don't blame him. 

Sly hanging off the edge of the building was a good edge of your seat moment.  Also with regards to the person upthread who asked about not sending another helicopter. Updrafts and the fire creating its own wind meant it probably couldn't get in close to the building. Although I wonder about a bag or even fire or climbing gear. They might not have been able to get to Sly but the chopper could have dropped something that could allow him to get out of there on his own.

• Love 1

Something that I noticed is that if the air was being sucked out of the room fast enough to crush a water bottle it should have done major damage to Toby as well. That type of rapid pressure change  should have burst his lungs, eyeballs and most of his blood vessels.

That whole thing was just crazy-pants. Unless things have drastically changed in the IT field, your server room fire suppression system does not consist of "sucking all the air out of what must be a hermetically sealed room like a giant vacuum", It generally involves flooding the room with inert residueless gasses that replace the oxygen until it can no longer support combustion. Fire needs 15% oxygen, humans need a minimum of 10%, so the point is to come in between the two. Why? Because you aren't supposed to KILL PEOPLE while putting out a fire, and the oxygen needs to be below 15% for ten minutes to make sure the fire's out. Honestly, if they'd left out the melodramatic water-bottle-crushing bit, they might have pulled off the general idea (Toby passing out from low oxygen and already compromised lungs from breathing smoke for most of an hour).

That was only bc the heat of the fire was bending the steel around the windows slightly, so that heating it up furhter would allow the gases between the windowpanes to explode.

Because a Bic lighter would create more heat than the raging fire that already warped the steel of the windows?

• Love 1

Something that I noticed is that if the air was being sucked out of the room fast enough to crush a water bottle it should have done major damage to Toby as well. That type of rapid pressure change  should have burst his lungs, eyeballs and most of his blood vessels.

That really bothered me too.

Sly hanging off the edge of the building was a good edge of your seat moment.  Also with regards to the person upthread who asked about not sending another helicopter. Updrafts and the fire creating its own wind meant it probably couldn't get in close to the building. Although I wonder about a bag or even fire or climbing gear. They might not have been able to get to Sly but the chopper could have dropped something that could allow him to get out of there on his own.

The thing I didn't understand was, when the last kid was in the helicopter, and of course it had to leave right then... wasn't Sly literally hanging onto the ladder?  Even before they announced that they had to leave right then?   They couldn't have had him just step onto it while he was holding it, so they could just gently move away a bit while he climbed up?   Or, in typical action movie style, just fly away with him hanging on the ladder, whisking him to safety.    If I was him, I'd be like, "Nope.  I'm already holding the ladder.  I'm coming up right now.  I'd rather hang off a ladder than stay in a burning building, thank you."   Of course it was more drama having him stay behind.  They had that extra half hour to fill.

And while I'm nitpicking... the road-crossing scene was idiotic.   So, just because he has a genius level IQ, he can somehow accurately determine the mph of all the various cars coming toward him just by looking at them, and they all magically keep those same consistent speeds so he can use his genius miracle-calculating brain to Pac-Man across the highway and pick up a piece of trash.   Am I the only one who thought that was totally ridiculous?

Also, when this one started, I felt like I had missed an episode.   Were we told that they were working on the big project for Richard?   I admit, I barely pay attention to this show, and only watch for a few character moments that I still enjoy.

Because a Bic lighter would create more heat than the raging fire that already warped the steel of the windows?

Haha!   That's hilarious!

How much more clear can it get without them having to hold up signs telling the audience what has already been obvious since the start of the series?

If she thinks Walter got involved with another woman that was going to be her obvious reaction. Just like Walter was jealous over her sons dad last season.

The lighter/flame was held directly next to the window. Again, complete suspension of disbelief, but that was the tv-science behind it.

And while I'm nitpicking... the road-crossing scene was idiotic.   So, just because he has a genius level IQ, he can somehow accurately determine the mph of all the various cars coming toward him just by looking at them, and they all magically keep those same consistent speeds so he can use his genius miracle-calculating brain to Pac-Man across the highway and pick up a piece of trash.   Am I the only one who thought that was totally ridiculous?

That freeway scene totally reminded me of the premiere episode of LImitless. It almost seems to me that Scorpion is jealous of / tries to copy Limitless, eventhough theyre on the same network.... and believe me, most of Limitless's plots are more plausible. Love that show.

The thing I didn't understand was, when the last kid was in the helicopter, and of course it had to leave right then... wasn't Sly literally hanging onto the ladder?

I don't think so..think he just had a hand on it..but that whole rescue bugged because 1) The firefighters would have sent some kind of sling for Syl to wrap around the kids or would have lowered a firefighter to bring them up one by one; not a rope ladder for them to climb that high up (what if one of them fell? I know that wouldn't happen on Scorpion, but it bugged me) and 2) Walter had to get a big damn hero moment again, when Sylvester was the true hero, keeping the kids calm and making the filters, etc.  But Walter jumped at the ladder!!! grrrr  I don't hate him and I think I've complained about this before, so I'll stop now.  It just took away from what Sylvester had done, to then put him in peril so that Walter could look heroic.  At least Happy was instrumental in the plan to get him out and Toby helped, and Syl was still brave while being scared.  I thought the point of showing that the kid lost his comics would be seeing Sylvester at the end, packing up some of his own for the kid.

That complaint aside, I liked it.  I liked Paige working with Cabe (her jealousy was overdone but I thought McPhee did the best she could with some dumb lines); it was simplistic but I liked her figuring out the password, etc.   Walter is an ass but I like when they show him situations he's not comfortable with - in the bar for example.  I think Elyes Gabel did well; you could see Walter's hesitancy about trying something new and fumbling.  I got his desperation when everything was falling apart in the building (I just try not to worry about the technicalities).   He really needed Happy and Toby - not that he listened - but I liked that they called him out on his behavior; though Toby should definitely have punched him.  I mean, I get the whole "save the many over the one" but I didn't think they were quite there yet and of course Walter acted like an ass about it. 

I like billionaire guy, he can show up occasionally.  Ray was OK in this episode because he wasn't overused. 

I'm not saying it wasn't ridiculous, but I think Walter did have a device he was using to clock the speed of the cars-- still not wise to be darting around out there, but it wasn't 100% in his head that he was doing the calculations.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed.  Like I said, I don't pay close attention to the plot on this show... because if I do, it makes me crazy.  ;)   I have to check my brain at the door to have any chance of enjoying this show.   I only watch because I like Sly, Toby, Cabe and Happy.

He really needed Happy and Toby - not that he listened - but I liked that they called him out on his behavior; though Toby should definitely have punched him.  

That was Happy's unfinished line in my head: "If you say the word 'greater good', I swear I will PUNCH YOU!"

• Love 1

If she thinks Walter got involved with another woman that was going to be her obvious reaction. Just like Walter was jealous over her sons dad last season.

And that's what makes it annoying.

The lighter/flame was held directly next to the window. Again, complete suspension of disbelief, but that was the tv-science behind it.

That freeway scene totally reminded me of the premiere episode of LImitless. It almost seems to me that Scorpion is jealous of / tries to copy Limitless, eventhough theyre on the same network.... and believe me, most of Limitless's plots are more plausible. Love that show.

The thing is, with Limitless, it knows it isn't a super serious show. Scorpion sometimes tries to be a serious show, when it should just be self depricating

• Love 1

The thing is, with Limitless, it knows it isn't a super serious show. Scorpion sometimes tries to be a serious show, when it should just be self depricating

Agreed, Scorpion is a mixed bag, it's interesting when it's team dynamics on their missions, everything else, not so much.

Edited by Free

This is how I finally realized why the show annoys (and why I quit watching but still forum):  it's a comic book.  Not a graphic novel, just a comic book.  Anything else I could type here makes me sound like a snob, so here endeth this reply.

• Love 1

Finally got around to seeing this.  Despite being longer, I actually thought it went by quickly and it was at least mainly entertaining in it's own stupid ways.  But there were two things that really bugged me.  1) How everyone seemed to forget about Walt almost letting Toby die.  Even if I understood the logic he was going for (risking one life to save more), I still think most people would be pretty piss about it.  At least throw a punch or two.  Instead, Toby yells at him, Happy glares at him, and.... that's it.  I'm going to call major bullshit if this incident isn't brought back up again in a future episode.  

And then 2) Paige's obnoxious jealously over the idea of Walt hooking up.  I'm pretty damn sure Paige was the one who started the whole "We should remain as friends" line with him, so if you're going to do that, then you really can't get mad at him if he is going to see other people.  Actually, scratch that: sure, it's fine to get mad.  You can't help what you feel.  But there is a time and place, and getting all snippy while in the middle of the investigation is not the way to go.  Good thing Cabe was there to at least keep things on topic, because she probably would have spent hours just trying to find out if Walter slept with another woman.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

This is how I finally realized why the show annoys (and why I quit watching but still forum):  it's a comic book.  Not a graphic novel, just a comic book.  Anything else I could type here makes me sound like a snob, so here endeth this reply.

In Episode One, where they had a laptop in a speeding car hooked up to a cable leading to a jet... it was a kind of good over the top bit--it was cinematic. But the problem is that the ways they've been doing that kind of stuff since then has been more silly than cinematic. They've been the cheap ass versions.

Really this is overweight, super-nerdy real life Walter's fantasy of who he wishes he could be (go find a photo of him, he's basically Sylvester), and so it comes off as really juvenile. 

But in general, an impenetrable building is a very thought out idea; it was a firetrap. There do need to be escape routes.

It's a stupid bad cliche. No fire code in the world would allow an impenetrable building. "Security" typically isn't about barring physical access in the real world. It's about guiding, recording and controlling it. And ways OUT can't be blocked, even if ways in are. Maybe at Fort Knox, or something like that, but not in what's basically an entire Office building.

• Love 3

In Episode One, where they had a laptop in a speeding car hooked up to a cable leading to a jet... it was a kind of good over the top bit--it was cinematic. But the problem is that the ways they've been doing that kind of stuff since then has been more silly than cinematic. They've been the cheap ass versions.

I think the pilot probably had more of a budget to do that, but you're right.

Really this is overweight, super-nerdy real life Walter's fantasy of who he wishes he could be (go find a photo of him, he's basically Sylvester), and so it comes off as really juvenile.

It really is, he's playing out Maguyver-esque scenarios and other action heroes.