Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, slowpoked said:

AQOTWF cleaning up the technical categories. 

That’s what I’m thinking happens — AQOTWF wins all tech awards and EEAAO wins the acting awards and the BP award.  Still hoping for Austin Butler to win his category but it’s tough to say.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was really hoping Banshees would take this one.  I thought the score was beautiful.

Yeah, if there was a way to show some love to Banshees, this is one award to give. The score was beautiful and matched the mood of the film. There’s still screenplay though. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 5

All Quiet was an enigma coming into tonight's awards because for whatever reason (late campaigning by Netflix perhaps), it didn't get into many of the Guilds so we didn't have the perspective of how it stacked up against many of the other nominees.

So for example Babylon was seemingly the favorite for Production Design, as it had swept the precursor but All Quiet was not nominated at most of them, save for BAFTA. 

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was really hoping Banshees would take this one.  I thought the score was beautiful.

The academy tends to like the big scores if one is available.  Banshees score was beautiful and fit the film so well. It's a tough category. 

• Like 3
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

Well for all the talk about going back to the theaters Netflix is doing very well tonight. 

After last year, Netflix must have been like "Oh, you going to get BP to a film on freaking Apple+?!  This means war!!!"

• LOL 9

A lot of the buzz I keep hearing about All Quiet is that it's one of those films that the Academy likes to bestow awards on--a more traditional film compared to something like EEAAO or Banshees, which are polarizing, and/or the popular films Avatar or Top Gun: Maverick.  So we'll see.  This could get very interesting.

• Like 5
Just now, wallflower75 said:

EEAAO or Banshees, which are polarizing,

My biggest problem with Banshees is that it was marketed as a black comedy when it was truly more of a tragedy on most levels.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
29 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm gonna need someone to explain how this new Verizon product, play+, is not cable.

It's basically a service that helps you keep all your streaming services in order and helps you find the best deals. Streaming is already the new cable. This helps you manage it better. A lot of people have one service here and on there. Paramount through Roku. Hbomax through youtubetv. Another service through prime video. It gets confusing after a while. There are already services like this. Truebill for example.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, ichbin said:

My biggest problem with Banshees is that it was marketed as a black comedy when it was truly more of a tragedy on most levels.

I considered it the biggest Comedy category fraud at the Golden Globes since The Tourist.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, ichbin said:

I’ve seen a lot of people talk about how tragic it is, and I would agree there’s a lot of sad stuff - especially towards the end, but I think black comedy describes it perfectly. I laughed a lot watching it.

• Like 7
Just now, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It is getting interesting, but I’m not sure AQOTWF can pull off the best picture upset. 1917 also won several technical categories, but still lost BP. Also, last year Dune won the most awards, but not BP.

This. It's no secret that the Academy LOVES war films, particularly in the technical categories. So none of All Quiet's wins so far have been that shocking. Now if they win Editing, I'd start considering the real possibility of an upset. 

• Like 3
Just now, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I’ve seen a lot of people talk about how tragic it is, and I would agree there’s a lot of sad stuff - especially towards the end, but I think black comedy describes it perfectly. I laughed a lot watching it.

I think there is a lot of comedy in it, especially at the beginning, but the laughs mostly die out as the fingers start flying.  So I see it both ways.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, DollEyes said:

Elizabeth Banks and "Cocaine Bear"? The bear doesn't look like himself. Maybe he can score at the Vanity Fair Oscar party.

...like everybody else

🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

Hell Yes the Bear. Cocaine Bear was a blast watching it in the theater. Everyone laughing and having a good time.

I wanted to go see it in the theatre after taking an edible.  Alas, I live in a state where that is not legal and I had to drive the company van that week.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Clearly cutting people off is not gendered. That shouldn't be the focus. Padding the show with nonsense is the problem. Because that's what causes the scrambling for ways to cut time in other ways.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I could do without the extreme closeup, too.

There was been some odd image composition this evening.  It really shows up on the "home base" shot (dead center of the stage). I think what is going on is that camera is one of those specialty cams with no operator that pops out of the edge of the stage and is using a lens that can go very wide or very tight.

The 'two-shot' of the presenters is just on the very edge of how wide a shot it can get, almost to the point that any distance change between the lens and the talent is critical. Too close and you'll get a weird distortion when noses get very long and the background looks exaggerated like it is further away from the talent than reality.  Also the long shots are really closer than they should be.  When you don't have a human that can tremor behind the gear of course you get in close, but should you?   

Edited by kib
  • Like 2
Just now, MerBearHou said:

Cutting off those last winners and then Jimmy has all this time to ask these dumb questions… not cool.

As Jimmy said, they need to set the stage for Rihanna.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1