Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dude, Oprah didn't give you a car, don't thank her yet. 

Great speech though.

If there is anything good that keeps happening again and agian tonight is that people are making speeches that matter, imo, which why not? It's a silly statue at the end of the day. Why not say something that can touch someone and make a difference if you can? It's nice.

• Love 11

Wow, OPRAH is really staying in the shot.  Until the camera found an angle with just the winner.  Oh dear winner, we are very glad you lived for this day!  You helped someone tonight.

There were some nice shots earlier with Jared Leto hovering over Patricia Arquette like Jesus.

• Love 1

Johnny Carson was a great host for many years. 

Of course Carson relied on his considerable skill as a host and comedian, and not on the flimsy foundation of being a former kid star who grew up to say dirty things. 

I really do hate Neil Patrick Harris, don't I? 

The Oscars are better with comedians hosting. And one with prior hosting experience is even better. They really meed to get back to asking comedic talk show hosts to host. Kimmel, Fallon, etc. Though I could do without seeing Whoopi doing this gig again.

• Love 2

Yes, but if they dared to give her the cold reception they're giving NPH, we would have to murder them and that's a lot of people to murder.

Oh I don't think anyone in that room could be that clueless or classless. Some people just get respect because you're pretty sure an hidden assassin will take you out if you don't. Julie's such a person to me, heh. 

Johnny Carson was a great host for many years. 

Of course Carson relied on his considerable skill as a host and comedian, and not on the flimsy foundation of being a former kid star who grew up to say dirty things. 

I really do hate Neil Patrick Harris, don't I? 

The Oscars are better with comedians hosting. And one with prior hosting experience is even better. They really meed to get back to asking comedic talk show hosts to host. Kimmel, Fallon, etc. Though I could do without seeing Whoopi doing this gig again.

BIrdman gets director.  I think it might be getting the big one.

And, I just heard "smells like balls" in a speech.  And, I'm think someone wants to have Michael Keaton and Bryan Crantson have a tighty whitie-off.

Edited by thuganomics85

Gaga shocked me in a good way, Julie Andrews and then "Stay weird, your time will come."  This show has really picked up!

I'm so glad I did this live thread--I'd only added half an hour onto the DVR recording.

• Love 3
He could have talked all night - there was no way they were going to play him off after that.

I'm SO glad they didn't start the "play-off" music as he started his personal story. 

I'm really kinda sad that Richard Linklater didn't win just because having the patience and dedication to film something over 12 years is kinda remarkable. (and shallowly, I really wanted the guy who directed "Dazed and Confused" to win an OSCAR. Alright, alright, alright! ). 

• Love 3

Given the ABC has the broadcast rights locked up, it'll probably be Kimmel.  Individuals associated with other networks have hosted (Jon Stewart - Comedy Central/CBS, David Letterman - CBS) but those have been very few.  I'd add Stephen Colbert to the list of potential hosts.  He could do the musical numbers and is a film buff.  I'm also on the Tina Fey/Amy Pohler train as well.

I love Oprah announcing his name in that voice. But The Imitation Game winning? The script full of lies and convenient manipulations of history?

Not the first time.  Just look back a few years ago to "Argo" that not only won for the screenplay but won for Best Picture.  Talk about manipulation of history.  *just call me a bitter Canadian.  Although the Brits and Australians came off truly badly in the "story"*

It's entertainment.  We all have to realize that and accept that they are often not worried about accuracy.

• Love 1

And, it's Eddie!  Stephen Hawking trumps BIrdman, I see.

I think this means every BP nominated film got something.  Granted, some of it was small (Sound for American Sniper), but no shut-outs.

Odd choice for Cumberbatch's clip.  I remember having way more dramatic moments in that film.

Edited by thuganomics85