Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: She Crazy

Phil is all in on project hatch-the-duck-eggs, even building a whole habitat for them -- no one else is as enthused about this project and Lily is the only one suckered into helping him. Claire, meanwhile, is nervous about pitching her new closet ideas to Jay and his creative team, and for good reason it seems. And, Gloria and Manny help each other out with their respective "crushes," while Cameron develops an unhealthy attachment to the frat guys renting their upstairs unit, on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 14 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

As soon as they mentioned the ducklings imprinting, I knew there would be ducklings by the end of the episode. 

I loved and loathed CamBro -- just like Mitchell.  I thought the car psychiatry session was brilliant.  Clueless Luke, totally self-involved Mitchell. 

Someone else started the thread at the same time, so I reported this one, and I'm sure they will be combined soon! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Why did it look like (to me anyway) that Dylan was still living there? Last episode, Claire gave him one night and then he was supposed to hit the road.

Why is Luke just now getting driving lessons? Last episode, he supposedly drove with Manny to Alex's school? (Speaking of...where was Alex? Poor gal didn't even get a mention.)

What happened to Luke wanting to do the duck eggs project with his dad?

Liked Phil and Lily bonding. Jealous Phil over the ducklings imprinting with Claire instead. Ha. (Really would rather forget seeing Phil squatting over the eggs...)

I am always so impressed with the "modern" portrayal of minority characters on this show. Of course only an enlightened modern writer would portray every gay man as a flouncy queen. Now we're treated to the modern African-American family who screams at the characters in a scary movie, such an original and forward-thinking image. I can't believe people are getting paid to write this hackneyed stereotyped bull shit in 2015. 

• Love 2

I am always so impressed with the "modern" portrayal of minority characters on this show. Of course only an enlightened modern writer would portray every gay man as a flouncy queen. Now we're treated to the modern African-American family who screams at the characters in a scary movie, such an original and forward-thinking image. I can't believe people are getting paid to write this hackneyed stereotyped bull shit in 2015. 

Yeah, isn't it amazing. You also get writers who have to write politics that one party is the best and the other is the worst. You should vote for Hilary because: "She's a woman." Oriental people are cheap and micromanaging their families all the time (rolls eyes). Yeah, amazing how writers get paid big bucks to write such amazing modern concepts.

Agree that I could have done without Phil squatting over the eggs, but loved most of the rest of the episode.  LOL Mitchell is so clueless and bad with people.  "I couldn't even talk to two red-headed lawyers!" 

I'm really having a hard time getting used to the jarring aging of both Luke and Lily though.  Wow, where does childhood go?  I don't notice it as much in Manny and only in Alex if I have just seen an old episode where she was so little and adorable.

• Love 2

Liked the part when Lily realized the ducklings were orphans and then she kicked over the stones spelling out "help." Also when Phil told Lily that she's playing "like a real little girl" and his delivery was so happy and matter of fact, not snarky.like another character might do.

• Love 7

This was a really good episode. Love Phil and Lily interacting. The ducklings were so cute. I felt so bad for Phil that the ducklings imprinted on Claire. Loved seeing Dylan again.

I really liked them together too and how Lily was trying to "escape".

There were lots of little bits that were hilarious. Dylan following Haley around while he was talking about the ducklings was so cute. And I like him so much more than Andy.

I haven't liked any of the guests renting the upstairs so I hope they drop that idea quickly.

Julie Bowen looks very very thin. I hate to say it but she looks anorexic. On the other hand...are Vergara's breasts growing? They looked HUGE. I couldn't stop staring.

• Love 3

Overall, very meehhh. I could hardly remember it this morning.

"I ain't afraid of no goats!"

"Keep your hands steady, I've watched you play operation"

They have always had a few clever lines in each episode and I think that half the time they try and build the episode around them. Most of Luke's lines while Mitchell was in "therapy"-"Are we lost" "Is this a one way street: etc..

On the other hand...are Vergara's breasts growing? They looked HUGE. I couldn't stop staring.

She was always big, but they did look even bigger last night....and they highlighted them even more than usual. Plus, her outfits always look like they are spray painted on her, but last night was ridiculous!

• Love 1

There were lots of little bits that were hilarious. Dylan following Haley around while he was talking about the ducklings was so cute. 

That was perfect. "Their brains are so small they just latch onto something and follow it around as a way to find food. Yum."

I liked Phil's little duck village. Quack Nicholson, Duckingham Palace. So cute. When the eggs started hatching, Claire should have recorded it with her phone. Oh, and I loved Haley then Claire then Sofia all doing the fast-forwarding sound -- Bloop-bloop?

Claire covered in pigeons was a great visual gag. I was wondering what was going to happen after the duck feed spilled on her.

• Love 3

I thought it was silly. I can suspend disbelief, but duck eggs that were left unattended for a month suddenly hatch? Okay, sure, science be damned.

And since the kids are out driving and shopping, do these eps take place on weekends? Although Claire was doing a closet pitch at work, so why was Lily hanging with Phil and not in school?

And that leopard print thing Gloria had on was godawful. It just screamed cougar; ugh, tacky. Her hair is so straight and tight to her head, it looks severe, especially with her extreme facial features. She looked way better in early seasons when her hair was full and wavy. This pin straight blond do is aging her. And her boobs are enormous, maybe she's pregnant in real life?

• Love 2

It could have been worse, they could have been dancing. Honestly I was worried about that depiction too but I'd be more offended if I didn't have lots of first hand experience of people who were African Americans being very vocal in the theater during a horror movie, it just makes the movies more fun IMO.

• Love 2

I liked how, without Phil calling it out directly, he hinted that Lily wasn't getting a "being a kid" childhood in her household. It was one of the first instances I can think of one of the adults that aren't her dad calling out her snarkiness.

• Love 5

I thought it was more that his kids were already teenagers and young adults and outgrew all the childish but fun things they used to do with him that they now "roll their eyes" at. We've seen Lily with Cam and Mitchell and in between the posing as old movie stars for a calendar and that nonsense she's still been able to be a little girl.

I'm really glad that Jay and Manny immediately caught on that the husband and son of Gloria's favorite TV character are similar to them.

Edited by VCRTracking

Phil may be weird but danged if he can't find the joy and wonder in the world that most of us lose at puberty. I have to admire the guy for that, not to mention his determination to install those same traits in the kids. There is something to be said for being happy.

• Love 5

Phil is pretty much the only happy main character, it seems. Jay, Claire, Mitch, Cam, Alex, Gloria, and Hayley are all high-strung and usually angry or at least annoyed about something. Lily is sarcastic and kind of nasty. Luke is too dim to be much of anything. Manny mopes around a lot. Phil on the other hand is consistently cheerful and sunny. A little goofy, sure, but genuinely good-natured and happy. I love Phil.

• Love 6

Phil may be weird but danged if he can't find the joy and wonder in the world that most of us lose at puberty. I have to admire the guy for that, not to mention his determination to install those same traits in the kids. There is something to be said for being happy.

I agree with that, Phil tends to be the guy who wants to have fun or do things that will make others happy. I do feel sorry for him at times, I mean he's very successful, comes through for everyone and is a good dad. However, I see why people roll their eyes at him from the extended family to the kids. However, I really do wish Phil would just at times go: "Why can't I just have fun?" "Why do I have to be serious or not have interest in other things." "Everyone else acts like the world is going to fall apart if I don't grow up and act serious, leave me alone people!" 

• Love 4

Phil/Lily was a great combination. 

"I aint afraid of no goat!"

Those ducks were really really cute. Now I want adorable ducklings. 

So far, best episode of the season

The shot of Mitchel sitting awkwardly with the two red headed lawyers was a great gag. 

• Love 2

Like I said earlier, all the family had to do with Phil was just let him have his fun. They know how he is, he has to follow things through and if any of the kids would have just done a search. They would have realized that yes, even in a month, there is still time for the eggs to hatch if treated right. Instead they were: "OH that stupid Phil, thinking he will hatch eggs that he found." My problem is when characters act like they haven't been through things before, much like with Cam here feeling he needs to be liked. He finally admits: "What is wrong with me?" Just like with Mitch, just admit, you don't care about half the stuff the family or your spouse enjoy and go do things you do enjoy. Its gone to the point that Mitch is such a kill joy like Claire, its no surprise they don't have friends or Mitch is having such a problem having a full time job now.

Here with Gloria screaming seeing her favorite spanish soup opera star. Hello, have you met people before in your life? You know its a problem when you have to change character traits to make the plot work. Shows signs of weak writing.

• Love 1

Lily changing her mind about the ducks because they were orphans was lovely. So often Shes just a smart aleck you kid. She's snarky rather than just fresh but the smart aleck kid is a sit com convention. So seeing her relate was great.

I also loved the biz meeting.,, not that Claire was shut down but just the feeling of closet insider knowledge they all had,

And i admit it the birds all flocking to her at lunch gave me a belly laugh.

Yes ducklings are adorable. When I was 15 I was in a summer program with someone who was doing a duck imprinting hing. I've never eaten duck since. Once I've looked it in its face and said aw, it's all over food Wise!

I hear some chickens can be pets. I don't want to know.

Really Claire......I have absolutely zero business experience, but I watch mad men, even I know you don't pitch creative ideas if that is not your job.

Not a bad episode. I actually felt bad for Mitch for once and liked their storyline. I have friends like cam that can connect with anyone, anytime, but that's not me. And the worst part is if you force it, just makes it more awkward.

• Love 1