Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: First Time Again

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

In the snarky spirit of TWOP, I need to pick on some things on the show that bugged me.  I usually make snarky comments during the show, because it amuses me, but also because it annoys my S.O.  Overall, I liked this episode.  I didn't mind the B&W because my brain then told me, "Hey! Flashback!" Plus I think it helped with the somewhat janky CGI.

So.... How were there so many ambulatory zombies in the quarry?  If the only way into the quarry was "cannonball!', how were so many able to walk out?  Weren't all of the ramps blocked off?  I can't imagine that if the access paths were open before the tractor trailers were there that the walkers would just wander aimlessly at the bottom.  They all seemed to be able to find the path upwards once the trucks were there.

I had to ask myself, who is that angsty teen boy?  I had pretty much forgotten that Dr. Porchdick had 2 kids.  Sam was seen last season pretty frequently.  The other kid, maybe for a minute when Carl met Enid.  I bet he's a junkie too.

Porchdick Junior can travel as fast as a hoopie carrying a dead body.

Loved that Sasha was thinking safety first and had her emergency flashers on whilst leading the zed parade.

You mean to tell me that ASZ can find tanks of helium but not a pasta maker??  Sure.

The walkers are distracted by a deflated mylar balloon, but not colorful, floating, moving balloons?

Abraham only feels alive when he's kicking ass or watching people get their faces blown off.

I'm sorry, but Judith is uglier than last season.  There, I said it.  And her nose is HUGE!  Here, Morgan, wanna hold Shane's baby?

They could pass out radios to all the parade directors, but didn't think to leave one with the unprotected townspeople?

Wonderful points. Agree with all of them. I had absolutely no idea Dr. PorchDick had 2 sons and I don't remember seeing Ron in any of last season. Then again angsty teen boys don't exactly attract my attention. As mean as it is, I hope he dies. I'm not really a fan of any of the PorchDick family.

Also, what's a hoopie?

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 3

In my Herschel voice "YOU PEOPLE ARE LIKE A PLAQUE"

I assume this was a typo, and you meant plague. However, Rick's group might be like plaque, which would make his "make sure to brush your teeth" comment to Carl in season 4 all that more intentional. :)

Makes more sense than finding a bunch of "fruit leather."

• Love 5
The reason the plan sucked was that Rick is not a good planner. He's a great fighter. He's a good person to give combat lessons,or to go on runs, or to be on the front lines brutally massacring your enemies. But he's not a brilliant tactician.

In defense of the plan, he at least had the foresight to notice that semi was ready to give way. So at least SOMETHING was done to try to head-off a massive potential problem.

I like that Rosita is giving the townspeople gun lessons. It's good for her to have a more important job than Official Walrus Shaver.

Oh, how I laughed at this. :D

That said, I also don't like that woman - Jessie? -acting so distant,after she told him to go ahead and kill her husband.

I thought she was acting rather logically, actually. She may have some attraction for Rick. And it may have even predated her new widowhood. But even then, she backed away when Rick first went to kiss her. And now, I think she sees the scandal that would erupt if she suddenly got involved with the guy who killed her husband, no matter what the reason. I think a cooling off period is most definitely in order, and she recognizes (after the aborted kiss attempt) she's the one who is going to have to put on the brakes.

How in the world did Ron keep up (on foot) with Morgan and Rick in the car?

Wasn't it Deanna telling them EXACTLY where to take the body, while Ron listened? If so, and Ron knew where that was, it's possible he hit the run over that direction well before the body was loaded up and they headed out there in the car.

So Sasha is miraculously cured now. Who knew that a walker-mattress had such restorative powers?

Remember at the end of the last episode of season 5, after FPP went off on her with his "you're all evil" rant, Maggie showed up and one of the last scenes was of all of them holding hands and praying together. I think Sasha found her peace with that moment.

• Love 2

Why didn't they firebomb the pit. Because TV. I don't bother asking these questions anymore. If everyone did the exact thing they should or the easiest solution,it would make for one boring tv show.

Why did we have to watch the show knowing it had to end up bad? When does anything ever go well in scenarios like this on tv or movies? If I had an issue with that,I might else just not bother watching anything anymore.

This, x10. This is why I lurked without posting all these years on TWOP and PTV. Because most of these sorts of questions can be answered with, "Because it was in the script." But I still enjoy the musings of people who can see these characters as more than just words on a page.

I think Rick also knows time is always,always of the essence. He's not interested in convincing people, he's just going to make them do what he wants and figure they will pick it up as they go along.

Rick has seen when hesitation happens, so follows the walker shit hitting the fan. He stepped back to let the ASZhats take a shot at defending themselves against the walkers who showed up to the walker wall, and as expected, they ended up crying "Help us!" From the day he woke up in the hospital, he was thrown right into the fire and had to hit the ground running. It served him, and it's served the rest who have survived this long with him as well. Heck, even Eugene thought fast and grabbed the opportunity to convince Abe to help him survive. Think fast, act fast, survive.

Carol is so far off the reservation that a romantic relationship is not even in her stratosphere right now and I suspect never will be considering what she's become.

Again, this is the first time I've actually spent any time on TWD forums, so I don't know if Carolshipping has been discussed. But am I the only one who has gotten that vibe about her and Daryl? Or is theirs supposed to be more of a mom/son type of relationship and I just creeped a lot of people right out the door?

How long does it take/hard is it to make arrows? I briefly entertained the idea of just sitting up on the edge and shooting them with the crossbow, one by one,until they were all gone.

Particularly on the few occasions we've seen Daryl making his own bolts, I have wondered when they're going to start relying less on guns which, unless they start making their own bullets, are eventually going to go bye-bye. I would think we'd see a lot more use of bows and melee weapons. I'd sure like to see that.

• Love 1
I'm more amazed none of them are in fabulous 6" heels. All these walkers wear sensible shoes? Puh-lease.

We've seen a lot of barefoot walkers, and we've seen a lot of broke-ankle walkers, too. My opinion? High-heel clad walkers are the ones who ended up with bare toesies dragging one foot behind them.

Did the preview show Enid faceplanting on the steering wheel of a car? Was that the source of the horn?

I actually assumed this was a scene from a flashback to how she was living before she ended up at ASZ.

My head canon is that Rick sees Michonne and feels the feels about her. And that he knows what he could have, but he's terrified to let himself go there with her

If you look at the relationships that developed over the seasons, they mostly made sense as to type-attraction. I know many think Maggie and Glenn don't make sense, but I see it, totally. Anyway. Remembering the flashback/dream sequence showing Michonne "before," she was a very classy, proudly ethnic intellectual. Rick was a southern deputy. They're not really of a similar "type." Whereas Rick and Jessie could easily have been matched-up "before."

The only thing I'd say to blow my own theory is how Michonne also once said she doesn't miss "before." She's definitely changed, she had to. So maybe her tastes would run a bit more "down home" now.

Meh, I'd think she was Lori 2.0 if she was hopping on the nearest alpha-male following the death of her husband and was letting her kids run wild while she searched the bushes for dick.

Oh, again, the laughs... :D

I would love a character on the show to have been a hardcore prepper.I would be curious how they fared and if the prepping helped them or gave them a false sense of security. It would be cool if the group stumbled upon a prepper community and they were doing pretty good. Maybe in future shows we might actually see enclaves of extremist groups or something like that.

I suggested in the FTWD forums that it would have been interesting to switch back and forth between "Average Joes" like they are focusing on, and a group of preppers. If FTWD was supposed to show how the ZA kicked off and how people ended up the way they did in TWD time, I would have liked to have seen the comparison.

• Love 1
I appreciate Rick taking charge but I need him to be more nuanced. The kill or be killed works for comic books, but not in show where I mostly appreciate the interactions between people. I loved the scene with Rick, Morgan and Judith for example, because it was a warm moment.

I think Rick is nuanced in that he does show some contradictions. He's definitely not one-dimensional. He takes charge, he goes batshit, he's streetwise, he's introspective. he's willing to listen to others, even if initially reluctantly, and switch gears to the way someone else thinks something should be approached. He could have killed Carter as soon as he caught him with his gun on Eugene, but he didn't. He has some restraint. And he definitely seems to recognize that he needs to have advisers backing him up. Particularly Michonne and Daryl.

Daryl really seems like a non-entity now and I wonder what that means.

I've been a little concerned over the way he's gone from the hot-headed squirrel provider of CDB to pretty quiet to the extreme. Some episodes, I expect to hear him grunting caveman speak. I like the way he's matured and mellowed, but I hope they don't take it too far. Whenever they neuter a formerly fierce character in a show, it frequently kills the character. Sorry to get absolutely archaic in reference, but if you watched the original Battlestar Galactica, the character of Hawk was absolutely awesome. But then they made him a good guy. And it was horrible. I expected them to start leading him around on a leash.

The mellowing of a character can be done with some success, Spike in Buffy TVS for one. I'm just now watching the show on Netflix and I like the arc his character went through by season 6. (Of course, by the end of the show, that could take a massive turn for the unfortunate, I'm not there yet.)

• Love 3

I was reading somewhere that the latest Baby Judith is actually the SEVENTH pair of twins (actually there was a set of triplets at one point) to play her. When I think of all the episodes where she wasn't shown at all, each set probably only worked about three times before they were replaced with a slightly older model. No wonder there are problems with continuity!

And on a TOTALLY unrelated note, I thought the black and white background, especially the church steeple, looked like it was from a cheesy and totally unrealistic old Western movie set. 

• Love 1

Recap's back

Alright!

Wow, not proud of that attempted joke :{

For any newbies this season, that's a link to a photo recap done by a reddit user. Usually good for some laughs. This isn't his strongest one, but definitely out faster than last season.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 10

Recap's back

Alright!

Wow, not proud of that attempted joke :{

For any newbies this season, that's a link to a photo recap done by a reddit user. Usually good for some laughs. This isn't his strongest one, but definitely out faster than last season.

Yeah, it's not early as good as usual. The only funny part - Sasha saying, "what white nonsense is this", when Abe jumps out of the car.
  • Love 3

Particularly on the few occasions we've seen Daryl making his own bolts, I have wondered when they're going to start relying less on guns which, unless they start making their own bullets, are eventually going to go bye-bye. I would think we'd see a lot more use of bows and melee weapons. I'd sure like to see that.

There are more than 300 million firearms in the US right now and more than 1 billion rounds of ammunition. They're not going to run out any time soon!

• Love 3

There are more than 300 million firearms in the US right now and more than 1 billion rounds of ammunition. They're not going to run out any time soon!

There would be 295 million or so walkers in the US and for most people it takes more than one try to get the headshots the CDB crew pull off so easily ;)

But, really, how much ammo did they have stocked at the ASZ? 'Cause the CDB crew were probably shot near dry by now.  The ASZ didn't have a military base, a sheriff's department or any hardcore preppers on-site so it's a question of how much ammo have they scavenged and whether they've used up more than they've found in the course of that scavenging  ...

• Love 1

Wonderful points. Agree with all of them. I had absolutely no idea Dr. PorchDick had 2 sons and I don't remember seeing Ron in any of last season. Then again angsty teen boys don't exactly attract my attention. As mean as it is, I hope he dies. I'm not really a fan of any of the PorchDick family.

Also, what's a hoopie?

Doh!  Typo.  Hooptie - an old beat up car.

I assume this was a typo, and you meant plague. However, Rick's group might be like plaque, which would make his "make sure to brush your teeth" comment to Carl in season 4 all that more intentional. :)

Makes more sense than finding a bunch of "fruit leather."

Corrected the spelling in the original post :)

• Love 1

But it was funnier as "plaque!" Can't you see Hershel saying that? :)

I blame my childhood. I was born in a small town called Plaquemine (pronounced plaque - q - men). Now spell check does not recognize the word plague; always changes it to Plaquemine. What is most surprising is how many times I use the word plague in normal conversations

• Love 4
I love how Morgan is always watching, judging.

Look at the baby, look at the baby. 

Holy crap, I thought that recap was hilarious. Maybe it's just been so long without one? 

Okay, I'm locking in my vote - Gabriel is blowing the horn because they wouldn't let him play. Didn't the archangel Gabriel carry a horn of some sort? 

• Love 7

I think it was Enid because I think she's a wolf spy, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ron.  Daddy is Porchdick and his mother is nothing to celebrate either.  He's genetically destined to be a Porchdick.

But just for fun, maybe Aaron and his boyfriend were having sex in the cab of a truck and accidentally honked the horn (like Shane and Andrea in season 2).

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 7

Again, this is the first time I've actually spent any time on TWD forums, so I don't know if Carolshipping has been discussed. But am I the only one who has gotten that vibe about her and Daryl? Or is theirs supposed to be more of a mom/son type of relationship and I just creeped a lot of people right out the door?

Oh, there are so many ways to see that relationship, from romantic interest to platonic soulbond...one way I personally never interpreted it as is mother/son, because, one, Reedus is what, 5 or 6 years younger than McBride? And two, it never read to me like anything other than two equals who found a kindred spirit in each other, be it romantically or platonically, I don't mind either way. I personally happily multiship (and I do mean multi...Carol/Daryl? Fine. Carol/Rick? Yeah. Carol/Michonne? Sure. Rick/ Michonne? Why not. Rick/Sasha? Alright. Sasha/Carol? Great. Sasha/Michonne? Ok. Michonne/Daryl? I'm in. And now Morgan/Michonne, Morgan/Carol and Morgan/Rick as well), because seeing the track record this show has with relationships, putting all my eggs in one basket can only lead to heartache and disappointment -especially if it does end up canonizing what I ship.

I don't think you creeped anybody out, don't worry!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm not really a shipper. When there's too many romantic relationships going on on this show (opening of season 4, I'm looking at you), I kind of want to vomit. But if I shipped anyone it would be Daryl and Carol. However, I really just see them more as best friends, kindred spirits. I think it would make sense if they ended up together; I think they get each other in ways no one else ever can. But I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they never did; because, at the same time, they're almost too much alike. 

• Love 9

Rick does values those things about the women in his group.  He would die for them.  That doesn't mean he wants to have sex with them.  It doesn't seem like any of his group want him that way, either.  I'm always mystified by people who are offended that Rick is attracted to Jessie instead of Michonne (not saying you are) when Michonne certainly doesn't seem to be pining away for him on her end. 

My husband works for his family business, and I was quite offended once because he didn't want me to work there (when they needed some extra help). but he explained it as not wanting to associate me/us with all the high stress and crap that happens at work.  He wants to come home to me, and leave that behind.  I think of it in that way. 

Anyway, it's a TV show.  I figure falling for Rick would be like falling for Captain Kirk.  You iz dead.

Also, the idea that Rick is just projecting a lot on her would describe most initial attraction.

I agree with you.  All this shipping stuff seems to be based on the assumption that in the ZA, the man makes the relationship decisions.  Michonne lives in the same house as Rick (and his kids).  If she wanted him, I have no doubt that they'd be together.  Michonne might tease and flirt with Rick but Michonne does that with practically all the guys.  I've seen nothing that would make me think that Michonne wants Rick and as far as I'm concerned, what Michonne wants is much more important than what Rick wants.

Jessie appears to be Rick's type of woman.  A 'little woman' type who will have dinner on the table when he comes home from a tough day of walker killing.

• Love 5

Oh, there are so many ways to see that relationship, from romantic interest to platonic soulbond...one way I personally never interpreted it as is mother/son, because, one, Reedus is what, 5 or 6 years younger than McBride? And two, it never read to me like anything other than two equals who found a kindred spirit in each other, be it romantically or platonically, I don't mind either way. I personally happily multiship (and I do mean multi...Carol/Daryl? Fine. Carol/Rick? Yeah. Carol/Michonne? Sure. Rick/ Michonne? Why not. Rick/Sasha? Alright. Sasha/Carol? Great. Sasha/Michonne? Ok. Michonne/Daryl? I'm in. And now Morgan/Michonne, Morgan/Carol and Morgan/Rick as well), because seeing the track record this show has with relationships, putting all my eggs in one basket can only lead to heartache and disappointment -especially if it does end up canonizing what I ship.

I don't think you creeped anybody out, don't worry!

That was hilarious and, well, true. The only ship off the table is Carl/Judith. Hell even Rick/Judith has some possibility since they aren't related. *Runs real fast out the room ducking flying fruit.*

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

While firebombing the walker pit might not have been practical given available resources/time restraints, I'll bet there are a HELL of a lot of loose rocks available on the walk up to the lip of a frickin' quarry, and half the ones anyone pitched out over the thing would come down hard right on top of a walker skull. They could have gotten that same group of Alexandrites in position around the edges with wheelbarrels full of gravel and a few slingshots and eliminated the threat with virtually no risk to themselves.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

I still wonder though if they will go there. I didn't have an issue with what happened with Pete so much but I did with the guy last season who was handcuffed, escaped from Sasha, was running away, still handcuffed and Rick literally ran him down and murdered him.

That was definitely the most coldblooded thing he's ever done, but it was directly on the heels of Terminus, and, well, the guy was responsible for kidnapping women and holding them prisoner.  So...Imma let it slide.  But it was a little scary.  I'm glad they pulled his character back from that sharp of an edge.

• Love 3

I think Deanna felt that maybe having a man, who was given authority, would be enough to quell Pete. 

I liked your whole post, but I this in particular made me think of business managers who hire outside consultants to recommend changes the manager already knows they should make.

Now that Rick & Co have taken charge, she really needs to hold a book discussion on Who Moved My Cheese?  If they aren't all dead this week.

Edited by peach
  • Love 4

On rewatch It is clear to me that the thing that toppled those semis so that the walkers could escape was Rick's voice.

Like a sound can start an avalanche - The Ricktator's voice made those semis tremble and fall to their knees.

• Love 3

Wasn't he among the ones running to the Alexandrites' rescue when they freaked out over the training exercise for killing stray walkers? (And on that note, where was macho threatening Carter whenever a zombie was around? I imagine 2 years into the Zombie Apocalypse I'd be a lot more cowed by Rick than them...)

• Love 1

The bandaids and the black and white kept making me think "Sin City."

Exactly what I came on here to post! As soon as I saw the b/w and bandaids all over his face I thought of Marv and wondered if it was intentional- I quite liked how cartoony it looked (I tend to forget twd is from a comic book so it was a kind of nice visual reminder)
  • Love 2

If they were going for a Sin City knockoff with the B/W bandaid-face scenes - where the hell was Nancy Callahan (Jessica Alba), in a sexy cowgirl stripper outfit, dancing on a pole or a stage?!

If ripping something off from a movie, at least plagiarize the best part!

• Love 1
While firebombing the walker pit might not have been practical given available resources/time restraints, I'll bet there are a HELL of a lot of loose rocks available on the walk up to the lip of a frickin' quarry, and half the ones anyone pitched out over the thing would come down hard right on top of a walker skull.

Even easier, why not just lead them on a walk up around then right off the cliff back in?  It's a great natural trap and no way any of them walk away from a nice fall like that.  I could see not leaving a potentially-lethal hoard so close to home, but why not deal with them once and for all?  Hell of a lot safer than just letting them run wild.

Get a fire going in that pit hot enough, and the walkers will start wicking and igniting on their own - a zombie firestorm.

Now THAT would be totally cool.

On another note, I was pleased to see that Michonne managed to dig up another pair of second-skin pants. Shiny ones too.

• Love 1