Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, starlightlost said:

Another vote for tired of all the gore. I'd love to see if they could make a cake that looks like a realistic Jack o'lantern. A few seasons ago I know they had to make a giant haunted house type thing too 

I would love to see something like a haunted house cake! 

• Like 9
Just now, starlightlost said:

Another vote for tired of all the gore. I'd love to see if they could make a cake that looks like a realistic Jack o'lantern. A few seasons ago I know they had to make a giant haunted house type thing too 

Season 2. Michelle's assigned theme was "Asylum". She added blood spatter and won. A sign of things to come lol.

2 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Season 2. Michelle's assigned theme was "Asylum". She added blood spatter and won. A sign of things to come lol.

IMO She was one of the most obnoxious people ever on these baking shows.  If she started the gore trend, that's one more thing I hold against her.  :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

Hollie, after hearing that Ryan has hidden tattoos: "He's not cool like us."

Me: "We get it, Hollie."

---

Hollie, after choosing dark chocolate for her advantage: "It's dark, like me."

Me: "Really. We get it."

---

Hollie, after seeing Stephanie's tattoo costume: "My sister!"

Me: "WE GET IT HOLLIE"

I know these folks are probably prompted to lean on their "hook", but Jesus.

7 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

---

---

I honestly think that is just her personality, of course dialed up a notch for TV. 

• Like 3

I thought Ryan *won* that challenge, not came in third.

I know the contestants couldn’t hear it, but we all heard how nitpicky they were with Stacey’s dessert so it wasn’t a surprise that she went home.

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I thought Ryan *won* that challenge, not came in third.

I know the contestants couldn’t hear it, but we all heard how nitpicky they were with Stacey’s dessert so it wasn’t a surprise that she went home.

I wasn't surprised at all either. 

• Like 4

I really enjoy John Henson, but I'm not wild about the themes they've had the past few seasons.  The haunted hotel, camp, etc and these various gory stories about someone being killed.  I still like the show, the judges, the fun the judges have with the costumes, and the contestants.  I'd just like to see more variety with themes.

For this season--Hollie, Ryan, and James are very talented.  I hope they can each come up with a great finale dessert.

• Like 7
48 minutes ago, Tippi said:

I really enjoy John Henson, but I'm not wild about the themes they've had the past few seasons.  The haunted hotel, camp, etc and these various gory stories about someone being killed.  I still like the show, the judges, the fun the judges have with the costumes, and the contestants.  I'd just like to see more variety with themes.

For this season--Hollie, Ryan, and James are very talented.  I hope they can each come up with a great finale dessert.

I notice that they don't always say the dessert has to be gory, none of the globes needed to be. But, yes, the themes of people being killed and implied gore don't really lean towards things that are not gory. I also think as the judge's costumes get more and more out there, this show will be about the gore. 

I was pleased the Hollie's first cake was not super gory and actually, the killer cupcake was kind of cute. I felt it was all more cartoon like. 

• Like 6

Add me to the list of those who are extremely tired of Hollie's "I'm soooo weird and different and quirky and unique and dark and edgy and have such a one-of-a-kind personality.  I'm such an individualist!  See my mismatched shoelaces?  See how I skip around like a three-year-old?  See my contorted oh-so-dramatic facial expressions? I'm such a character!!"

Puh-leeeeze!!  Enough, already!!  Honestly, I was over that by the first show, so it's downright excrutiating by now.

Like someone said above, people who actually are "out there" just are, and they don't feel compelled to have to point it out constantly.  Actually, the few folks I've known who truly do dance to their own little personal drummer aren't even generally aware of it.  They're just wired that way, and the way they act is a very natural expression of what's inside.  With Hollie, it comes off as a very carefully constructed act, although with the facial tattoos, I suppose she must believe it, because that's a tad extreme just for show, you know?

On a side note, I always wonder what these heavily-inked types (especially those with facial ones) are going to look like when they're in their twilight years hanging around the old folks' home.  Not judging- - just curious!  To each his own, but when I think of my own grandmothers, inked-up faces aren't a part of the image.  Generally, we change as we age, and for most of us, looking back on things we did in our youth and possibly regretting or being embarrassed by some of them (which at the time, mind you, we thought were totally cool!) is a natural progression.  But, that's not so easy when your face is permanently marked, is it?

However, all that aside, I do think she's a very talented decorator, and unless something odd happens, I predict a win on her part.

Edited by lgandkihei
  • Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, lgandkihei said:

On a side note, I always wonder what these heavily-inked types (especially those with facial ones) are going to look like when they're in their twilight years hanging around the old folks' home.  Not judging- - just curious!  To each his own, but when I think of my own grandmothers, inked-up faces aren't a part of the image.  Generally, we change as we age, and for most of us, looking back on things we did in our youth and possibly regretting or being embarrassed by some of them (which at the time, mind you, we thought was totally cool!) is a natural progression.  But, that's not so easy when your face is permanently marked, is it?

However, all that aside, I do think she's a very talented decorator, and unless something odd happens, I predict a win on her part.

There will be plenty of heavily inked types in the nursing home! In the almost 30 years I have worked for the library things have changed with tats (and dyed hair). Used to be no wild color hair or hairstyles and no visible tattoos. Now, we have blue hair, half shaved heads and as long as your tattoo isn't offense, out in the open, sleeves, necks, though I haven't seen a face yet. 

I think she is going to win too. That skull and those roses were really gorgeous, almost art. 

• Like 5
14 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Ha, same thing - I said "of course".

I kind of figured it would be Stacy. Ah well, I enjoyed her while she was there. That said, I do think the remaining 3 are all very talented and deserve to be in the finale. Should be interesting!

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Splashy said:

Ha, same thing - I said "of course".

I kind of figured it would be Stacy. Ah well, I enjoyed her while she was there. That said, I do think the remaining 3 are all very talented and deserve to be in the finale. Should be interesting!

Yes, honestly, these are the most talented bunch I have seen in awhile. Any of them could take this and I would have no problem with it. 

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Hollie comes in as a slight favorite, so she probably won't win.

Unless Hollie totally botches it -- which I doubt because she's a good, steady baker -- I think she'll win, partially because, in the eyes of the Food Network, she would up the network's "cool" factor.

I do think we have the right final 3 and I would be OK with any of the them winning.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 10
16 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

---

---

You got it @tracyscott76!  Three brags in one show!  Plus the CGI visual over Hollie's face for the dark chocolate comment.

Enough!  Does anyone here think Hollie's NOT the designated winner?

I feel like the judges pander to her and she sucks up to them.

• Like 6

I'm rooting for Ryan to be the winner too.  I knew Stacey was going to be the one walking before this episode's first commercial.  I think she was already slated to lose this round and the judges' comments were scripted accordingly.  I felt bad for Stacey but she won out over the previous contestants so I hope she realizes her worth and talent!

• Like 8

The top three are pretty much who I expected them to be, it was clearly right away that Stacey would be the one leaving this week. Its too bad, I have always liked her, but all three of our final bakers are all great bakers. Personally I'm rooting for Ryan. The show seems to be set up for Hollie to win but I like Ryan's vibe more, even though Hollie would be very deserving as well. 

Hollie is definitely mugging for the cameras but its probably just a TV version of her real personality, she definitely reminds me of a lot of people I know who are in creative fields, just going over the top. 

I actually thought that the bakes this week were a lot less gory, especially the first one which had some very cute retro designs and pretty gothic designs with the balls. They all looked a bit more cartoony and fun or classy.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 8

While I'm pretty much happy with whoever wins as they are all really good, I have a little spot in my heart for James. He is from my area. 

23 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm rooting for Ryan to be the winner too.  I knew Stacey was going to be the one walking before this episode's first commercial.  I think she was already slated to lose this round and the judges' comments were scripted accordingly.  I felt bad for Stacey but she won out over the previous contestants so I hope she realizes her worth and talent!

Stacey has nothing to be ashamed of. This was a tough final 4. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

While I'm pretty much happy with whoever wins as they are all really good, I have a little spot in my heart for James.

I like him too.  I've been rooting for Ryan all along but I wouldn't be unhappy if James won.  Hollie is creative but ugh.  I was sort of shocked when they showed a picture of her son back home.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The top three are pretty much who I expected them to be, it was clearly right away that Stacey would be the one leaving this week. Its too bad, I have always liked her, but all three of our final bakers are all great bakers. Personally I'm rooting for Ryan. The show seems to be set up for Hollie to win but I like Ryan's vibe more, even though Hollie would be very deserving as well. 

Hollie is definitely mugging for the cameras but its probably just a TV version of her real personality, she definitely reminds me of a lot of people I know who are in creative fields, just going over the top. 

I actually thought that the bakes this week were a lot less gory, especially the first one which had some very cute retro designs and pretty gothic designs with the balls. They all looked a bit more cartoony and fun or classy.

And yet the globes were designed to be splattered and make a gory mess!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I appreciate James' commitment to all things Filipino. I've never tried sweet lumpia before. 😀

I can’t remember which Filipino dessert he was talking about, but when he cracked himself up in one of his confessionals it was adorable.

I thought the child in Hollie’s pictures was her nephew.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I've never tried sweet lumpia before. 😀

His "sweet lumpia" were what P. F. Chang's used to serve with coconut ice cream. I used to love them.

What I picked up from this episode was how nice looking Hollie was with her natural hair color and without all the tats.

• Like 4

I really loved the final four, including Stacy.  They are all deserving bakers- especially in the flavors and taste department.  I think the producers are trying to highlight each of the bakers in small ways so we get to know them better.  James is creative with his use of Filipino flavors, Ryan is meticulous and elegant, and Hollie is creative and edgy.  I personally don't find any of them off-putting and wish them all the success after the show.

• Like 8
On 10/18/2023 at 9:53 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I also wish they would lay off the bloody and gory Texas Chainsaw Massacre-inspired body parts and such.  Bring back the witches!  Jack-o'-lanterns, pumpkins, ghosts and goblins, black cats and the traditional monsters like werewolves and Frankenstein and vampires!  I'm sick of the killing and torture aspect of Halloween.

I personally don't mind the gore if it's done well, which hasn't necessarily been the case this season... I know you're not supposed to talk about other shows here but I think Halloween Cookie Challenge has been way more inclusive in terms of theme than this show-- the only gore is whatever the mean plastic surgeons did to poor Rosanna's face (sorry)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

I personally don't mind the gore if it's done well, which hasn't necessarily been the case this season... I know you're not supposed to talk about other shows here but I think Halloween Cookie Challenge has been way more inclusive in terms of theme than this show-- the only gore is whatever the mean plastic surgeons did to poor Rosanna's face (sorry)

Also, the Big Bake does gore but its not gory gore. Most of the time its cute.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

What was the point of this challenge?    
Make a dessert that splatters and is eaten off the floor?

I wondered that myself.  Under what circumstances would you make a dessert that has to be smashed like that?  And then eaten?  Yuck.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, mlp said:

I wondered that myself.  Under what circumstances would you make a dessert that has to be smashed like that?  And then eaten?  Yuck.

They looked very blob like so I'm not sure. I felt like James had the most coherent dessert inside of it. I could actually ID the lumpia. Everyone else's looked like a gelatinous mess (though I'm sure they tasted yummy). 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

They looked very blob like so I'm not sure. I felt like James had the most coherent dessert inside of it. I could actually ID the lumpia. Everyone else's looked like a gelatinous mess (though I'm sure they tasted yummy). 

Wasn't James' the one that still had perfectly rectangular pieces of cake post-smashing?

15 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

What was the point of this challenge?    
Make a dessert that splatters and is eaten off the floor?

I attempted to search for them online and it must be a very niche dessert.  The closest I found was Smash Balls, which are usually smashed with a mallet or other tool.  I saw only one video of a chef dropping his chocolate sphere.  He had decorated the serving "platter" with various sauces first.

6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Wasn't James' the one that still had perfectly rectangular pieces of cake post-smashing?

I think that was Ryan's. Little cubes of cake that were apparently a tad too dry, according to the judges. (I still would've given him the win.) James had the lumpia that either broke in half neatly or landed crunchily.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Very happy with this season- I cannot remember a season with a more deserving final 3/4. As usual they kept a less deserving home baker around past her expiration date, but at least she was gone before final 4.

It's funny- I could not stand Hollie on the first episode and hoped she would be gone soon, but I now like her and think she 100% deserves the win (though I would be fine with Ryan or James winning). I find her personality to be less of a shtick and more in line with other Australian women I know (I work with a lot of Australians). Not to generalize too much, but the Australian women I know have strong, unapologetic personalities (which I personally adore).

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, rlc said:

It's funny- I could not stand Hollie on the first episode and hoped she would be gone soon, but I now like her and think she 100% deserves the win (though I would be fine with Ryan or James winning). I find her personality to be less of a shtick and more in line with other Australian women I know (I work with a lot of Australians). Not to generalize too much, but the Australian women I know have strong, unapologetic personalities (which I personally adore).

I have no problem with strong and unapologetic personalities, but to me that would mean saying "this is me, deal with it" and then going about your business and not caring if people looked at you funny. It's not having to constantly call attention to your quirks, expressing "dismay" when you have to do something cute instead of your usual alternative stuff because "it isn't meee", and disparaging (even jokingly) someone as not as cool as you because their tattoos aren't highly visible. And these aren't all moments in producer-directed interviews; some of these are off-the-cuff comments in the middle of the competition.

She's talented and would deserve the win, but I've grown very tired of her.

1 hour ago, rlc said:

My late BIL was Australian and he had the same OTT personality. He was really funny and outgoing, but he also could hole up in his office for hours doing work and refusing to come out or even have anyone speak to him.

It's funny, Hollie didn't really bug me until this last episode and I was really tired of her by the end of that one, which surprised me. Editing? More exposure because fewer contestants? We'll see how the finale goes. I would be okay with any of them winning, also.

For those complaining of too much gore and blood, I will take that any day with a deserving final 4/final 3 that is actually based on skill level instead of having a "sob story" like dealing with anxiety or coming out (and in the case of the last PR - I'm doing this for my dead sister").

Edited by ILuvShibaInus
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I would be happy for any of the three to win, but I think it's Hollie's to lose.   Unless she stumbles, I think she'll win.   

I think Carla wins the judges' costumes tonight.   All three contestants did a fantastic job. 

Congratulations to all three finalists.  Congratulations to Hollie Hollie on the win. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

James certainly got the shaft with seaweed as his ingredient. The judges look great all dressed up. I thought Hall of Lost Souls was the hardest to depict. Probably why Hollie gave it to Ryan.  Did she have extra time, she seemed to have so many more details on her display. Not sure what James was going for with his different tents. Ryan did a decent job after his batter setback. Not the outcome I wanted.

• Like 9