Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, amaranta said:

The only reason I can think of that Margo DA is keeping the flash drive a secret is that at some point she's going to try and bargain Drew's memories for a laundry list of Jason's.

But she doesn't need Drew. There are two folders on the drive, one of Drew's memories and another of Jason's.  Can she read them or does she need to put them in a human brain first?

If she could read them, she'd be able to know what crimes Jason committed and start someone competent gathering evidence.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There are two folders on the drive, one of Drew's memories and another of Jason's. 

Jason's memories are depicted as "Sonny", with a heart drawn around it.  Kind of like Homer Simpson and beer.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

But she doesn't need Drew. There are two folders on the drive, one of Drew's memories and another of Jason's.  Can she read them or does she need to put them in a human brain first?

If she could read them, she'd be able to know what crimes Jason committed and start someone competent gathering evidence.

The flash drive contents was deeply disappointing. I thought there would be some brain scans and other technical jargon about how to access Drew's memory. Not a written report with transcripts of whatever Drew's memories were. Forget that all the memories of a person in his 30s would need more space contained in that flash drive, did Jason and Drew just dictated their memories?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, nilyank said:

The flash drive contents was deeply disappointing. I thought there would be some brain scans and other technical jargon about how to access Drew's memory. Not a written report with transcripts of whatever Drew's memories were. Forget that all the memories of a person in his 30s would need more space contained in that flash drive, did Jason and Drew just dictated their memories?

How on earth are they supposed to do some super-powerful surgery to get Drew's memories re-implanted/Jason's memories taken out if all it is is literally just a written Word document?

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

How on earth are they supposed to do some super-powerful surgery to get Drew's memories re-implanted/Jason's memories taken out if all it is is literally just a written Word document?

Seriously, does Drew just have to read the report and then suddenly say, "oh yeah, I remember that!"

• Love 4

I appreciate that maybe WR wanted to show someone not being completely solid  at the thought of prison, but that "you're sending me to supermax?!" could have been delivered slightly more stoicly.

• Love 3

It's super gross that Margaux has the memory stick and is using it against Drew without him knowing.

Franco, I'm certain Kim and Elizabeth are more than capable of having a serious, nuanced conversation with their sons about harassment. Shut up.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

God forbid the DA actually be written as a decent person and Sonny/Jason actually have the potential to lose something. We can't have that in a story so right off the bat it's stacked against Drew and Margaux is written as a self-serving, underhanded bitch.

Man, this.  I'm so sick of the DA always being written as either incompetent, with a misplaced (ha!) vendetta against Sonny and Jason, or a criminal themselves.  Or any mixture of those three.  Only on this show are the "law and order" characters portrayed as the ones to consistently root against.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm certain Kim and Elizabeth are more than capable of having a serious, nuanced conversation with their sons about harassment

As am I but is the trial really an appropriate place for them? It's one thing to have a discussion, quite another to bring them to the courthouse to hear all the salacious details of the case. Or did I misunderstand Elizabeth and Kim's intent? Admittedly I was only half watching...

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

God forbid the DA actually be written as a decent person and Sonny/Jason actually have the potential to lose something. We can't have that in a story so right off the bat it's stacked against Drew and Margaux is written as a self-serving, underhanded bitch.

And God forbid a lowly DA have a technical advantage against Sonny, who has Spinelli, Brick, JaSam, and whatever else his little network has to outdo the NSA, CIA, FBI, and WSB as far as surveillance and intel.

The memory stick reveals where ALL the bodies are buried and the shell companies. Sonny's world goes poof if that gets dumped.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's super gross that Margaux has the memory stick and is using it against Drew without him knowing.

I'm just tired of Drew getting played for an unwilling fool and some woman deciding she has the right to play God with his life for her own personal gain - AGAIN.

Elizabeth lied to him and kept his identity from him because it was her time with Jason. Carly's friendship and loyalty was conditional so long as he was Jason Morgan. Margaux only wants him for what is in his memories about Jason & Sonny. What is the common denominator here? :)

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

As am I but is the trial really an appropriate place for them? It's one thing to have a discussion, quite another to bring them to the courthouse to hear all the salacious details of the case.

They're 15; I think they can handle some mildly salacious details. (It's not as if Lauren is accusing Bensch of forcing her to dress in bondage gear and whip him into submission.) And I think a real-life example of work harassment is useful.

5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm just tired of Drew getting played for an unwilling fool and some woman deciding she has the right to play God with his life for her own personal gain - AGAIN.

Drew has to shoulder some of this blame for this, though, given how passive and uninterested he's been in his history. He shows brief flares of interest in finding stuff out and then goes back to shrugging and saying, "Eh, whatever." 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

And God forbid a lowly DA have a technical advantage against Sonny, who has Spinelli, Brick, JaSam, and whatever else his little network has to outdo the NSA, CIA, FBI, and WSB as far as surveillance and intel.

Here is where I would normally suggest a certainly aquatically-monikered, tech-savvy police officer from Llanview that could help Elizabeth Hendrickson, but nah, he should stay where he is given that police force actually puts people away from time to time.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Drew has to shoulder some of this blame for this, though, given how passive and uninterested he's been in his history. He shows brief flares of interest in finding stuff out and then goes back to shrugging and saying, "Eh, whatever." 

But people can tell you all about "yourself" from their perspective til the end of time but if you don't "remember" it is just words and has no meaning.  and he will get zero from the Navy and any Naval personnel because he was compromised and the dude has a very high ranking security clearance.  He was considered a deserter and will always be treated as one.  Why would he want to know anything from high school from total strangers?  He had no family, just the "group home" and left as soon as he graduated and joined the navy.  I understand Drew's attitude.  

Edited by linsav
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

They're 15; I think they can handle some mildly salacious details. (It's not as if Lauren is accusing Bensch of forcing her to dress in bondage gear and whip him into submission.) And I think a real-life example of work harassment is useful.

But they shouldn't see Kiki ripped apart on the stand for standing up for herself.  That's what happens with an aggressive lawyer, like Diane would do if she was defending Sason. It could backfire entirely and the boys especially Oscar might decide that it's the wrong thing to do to stand up against harassment.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Only on this show are the "law and order" characters portrayed as the ones to consistently root against.

This clarified it for me: General Hospital is The Dukes of Hazzard without the car chases or the narration by Waylon Jennings. I would have realized it sooner if they had had Laura Wright running around in tiny denim cutoffs. I guess Mike would be the Uncle Jesse in this formulation.  

The Dukes of Hazzard was easier to take seriously, though. 

Edited by Asp Burger
Chases, not crashes. They do have crashes. Especially during Toonces's 2001-06 reign of terror.
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, linsav said:

But people can tell you all about "yourself" from their perspective til the end of time but if you don't "remember" it is just words and has no meaning. 

I never expected him to track down high school classmates—that's too far back—but he didn't even Google himself to see what sort of information was out there. And maybe the Navy wouldn't tell him anything, but he could have tried to find SEAL teammates and get something from them. Drew did nothing. That's my point. 

41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

the boys especially Oscar might decide that it's the wrong thing to do to stand up against harassment.

Which is why a thoughtful discussion is also necessary, which Kim and Elizabeth are willing and able to do.

• Love 2

This clarified it for me: General Hospital is The Dukes of Hazzard without the car chases or the narration by Waylon Jennings. I would have realized it sooner if they had had Laura Wright running around in tiny denim cutoffs. I guess Mike would be the Uncle Jesse in this formulation.  

The problem is the Duke cousins were not mobsters.  They broke some rules in order to set some situation right (which usually wasn't a problem of their making).  Sonny and Jason are criminals.  When Lucky, Emily, Liz and Nik were dealing with some caper where they broke some rules and got the better of the PCPD, I was okay with that because those four were not criminals.  I resent the criminals always being better than the police/D.A.  By the way, this little rant is just a general statement and not because I think Asp Burger thinks Sonny/Jason are rootable.

• Love 8

The hell?  Ava finds out about Griffin and Kiki sleeping together...from a text...from fuckin' Franco?  Not from one of those two idiots having it forced out of them on the stand?  That's so lame, stupid, and not soapy!

Also, veering Sonny and Carly right back into Mike's Alzheimer story without a breath was a mistake, the pacing there is way off.

• Love 8

So I guess yesterday was Chloe Lanier's last day?

Lovely that Carly and Jason had a slumber party in the PCPD lockup. 

Color me shocked Frank splashed out for an actual jury in Lauren's case, not to mention the gallery is made up of more than two people.

• Love 1

I will keep saying it until the writers seem to understand: it is gross that, at a trial to prove whether or not someone is a sexual predator, that Franco is there and viewed as a person of support and not a hindrance, and that the courtroom is in fact filled with more than one or two of Franco's victims. Why does Alexis have Franco's number in her phone? Like we are supposed to think that Alexis would ever speak to via phone call or text the man that assaulted and raped her daughter.

Why are Alexis and Scotty referring to Kiki as "Kiki" on the stand? This is a court of law, aren't they obligated to use her given name, Lauren Katherine?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

The hell?  Ava finds out about Griffin and Kiki sleeping together...from a text...from fuckin' Franco?  Not from one of those two idiots having it forced out of them on the stand?  That's so lame, stupid, and not soapy!

This reminds me of when you were talking about the British soap where the woman found out her partner was cheating via hooking up her video phone. I guess this is GH's attempt to work in technology, nevermind that it started with Scott eavesdropping from behind a bush.

• Love 1

Does General Hospital not have a nurses' union?  How could Bensch get Francesca fired?

Why are Sonny and Carly still on my screen?  Even worse, they're schmoopy. Blech.

I don't understand how two such pretty people and decent actors as Jordan and Curtis can be so boring.  Now even Auntie is boring too.

34 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I think the meant to send it to Alexis (Alexis ... Ava... I've mis-sent thing too) so that does make it kind of soapy.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Ava finds out about Griffin and Kiki sleeping together...from a text...from fuckin' Franco? 

and

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think the meant to send it to Alexis

That what I thought too.  Ava sent Franco a text asking what was going on, since Franco had pulled Griffin aside to tell him that he knows.  At the exact same time, Scott sends Franco a text, telling him to tell Alexis.  So Franco responded to Ava instead of Alexis.  

• Love 1

Oh I understand that he meant to send it to Alexis, that doesn't make it any soapier to me.  They're in a courtroom, the two people holding this secret are being called to testify, one of them should have to confess to it on the stand, that's just soap math!

19 minutes ago, ulkis said:

This reminds me of when you were talking about the British soap where the woman found out her partner was cheating via hooking up her video phone. I guess this is GH's attempt to work in technology, nevermind that it started with Scott eavesdropping from behind a bush.

That was indeed a good modern twist on evasdropping/overhearing a secret.  It also led to this...

giphy.gif&key=2373437c2561004504fc7735fa

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

the two people holding this secret are being called to testify, one of them should have to confess to it on the stand, that's just soap math!

But, but, but, that wouldn't involve Franco (or Sonny, Carly or Jason) and we can't have that.   A story about Kiki being sexually assaulted should not be about Kiki.  It should be about Franco.  

• Love 5

My guess is that Griffin will confess it on the stand since he's the holy one who is so ashamed of his behaviour. Right at the end of Friday's episode.

But meanwhile we have Ava knowing the truth all episode and looking daggers.

• Love 2

I'm definitely feeling a little whiplash moving from the insanity of Carly in Ferncliff and its aftermath directly into the seriousness of Mike's deterioration. It's a precarious balance on soaps of over the top situations and ones more grounded in realism, and giving me both from Sonny and Carly in the same week is a bit much. They can disappear from my screen for a few days, show, promise I won't be mad.

Nice that Jordan immediately sussed out that Stella instigated contact between Chandra and Curtis and confronted her on it. Jordan's tried so hard to get along and Stella's given her nothing in return, so I wouldn't mind if Jordan takes the gloves off now.

Way to fumble the ball, Franco, Jesus. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Yes! Why is this soap allergic to drama!? It should've been a shocking on the stand reveal. Again the writers shit the bed. 

And surprise surprise which character is it that butts in and highjacks the moment? FRANCO!!! Unfuckingbelievable! Can he be left out of anything? I give it three weeks before he's knee-deep in the baby switch drama. 

• Love 11

I hate Franco. I loathe Franco. I view Franco with profound abhorrence. I may hate him more than Sonny or Jason, you guys, and I NEVER thought I'd say that about anyone, ever. Even thinking about him fills me with fury and revulsion and despair. WHY IS HE STILL A THING.

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

I hate Franco. I loathe Franco. I view Franco with profound abhorrence. I may hate him more than Sonny or Jason, you guys, and I NEVER thought I'd say that about anyone, ever. Even thinking about him fills me with fury and revulsion and despair. WHY IS HE STILL A THING.

Frank Valentini. Oh and apparently Roho signed a 3 year deal, so unless Franco is killed off....

Edited by Hater
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I never expected him to track down high school classmates—that's too far back—but he didn't even Google himself to see what sort of information was out there. And maybe the Navy wouldn't tell him anything, but he could have tried to find SEAL teammates and get something from them. Drew did nothing. That's my point. 

Which is why a thoughtful discussion is also necessary, which Kim and Elizabeth are willing and able to do.

No Seal would give Drew the time of day.  What they do is highly classified and he was the leader - the Chief who was compromised by the kidnapping and mind wiping BSDrew is tainted by Seal standards. Which is why he was discharged so quikly after the truth came out.  Googling himself would do no good.  Seals stay off social media.  They would sooner cut off their arm than talk to Drew.  That is the code.  Former navy person talking and I still know naval personnel and they all said the same thing - not one would talk to Drew.   Seals keep very low profiles unless they are former Seals who are out for the quick buck on CNN. 

Edited by linsav
  • Love 4

No one was suggesting that they give Drew mission  updates. But they wouldn't talk to someone who had been kidnapped and lost his memories about his personal life? Really? That's shitty. It's also not really an excuse for Drew because he doesn't know/remember that.

So, the common denominator is Drew. It's Drew being totally unwilling to make even a cursory attempt to find out who he is. Again. Some more.

And why not contact someone from his high school? People in group homes have friends. Drew is decently good looking and personable and people with high school friends sometimes maintain those friendships - even if they don't remain close. At minium, flip through a frikkin year book - find out whether you played a sport, or an instrument or d&d, something!

He's made zero attempt to fill in any of the blanks in his life. As of right now the only person he knows from his past is a murderhobo who stalked, kidnapped, terrorized and sexually assaulted his wife. That is not enough for any normal person.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Right. If Drew has no investment, no curiosity about his own life, if he flat-out doesn't care, what incentive does the audience have to do so?

maybe that's the point. They don't want the audience to be invested.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

maybe that's the point. They don't want the audience to be invested.

Well, that would be a completely back-ass-ward way to write a soap character, so...yes, entirely possible.

• Love 5

It's possible that they still haven't figured out who they want this character to be. Since they kept insisting that he and Jason we're totally alike (until 2 weeks before Jason came back), restoring Drew's memory should change his personality.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

It's possible that they still haven't figured out who they want this character to be. Since they kept insisting that he and Jason we're totally alike (until 2 weeks before Jason came back), restoring Drew's memory should change his personality.

All this is contingent on whether or not Billy is staying, I would think, but if they go through the effort to restore Drew's memories and want him to be a viable character, what woman is he supposed to be with? They are determined not to have Drew and Sam be together. Kim has her whatever-romance with Julian and I still have doubts that Oscar is Drew's son. Even Liz is happy with Franco. I suppose they could bring on yet another new character to be some long-lost love from Drew's past, but what is the point?

• Love 1

Drew said what if one/some of his men were seriously injured or died searching for him, he couldn't live with that guilt. And no, no Seal would talk to him.

Second, Curtis got a yearbook for Drew, he  read that he was an excellent athlete and student. He looked at it from front to back and it was like reading about a stranger to him. Curtis found out he pretty much kept to himself and buried himself in his studies.

Do you not watch nor read recaps?

Edited by linsav
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh I understand that he meant to send it to Alexis, that doesn't make it any soapier to me.  They're in a courtroom, the two people holding this secret are being called to testify, one of them should have to confess to it on the stand, that's just soap math!

That was indeed a good modern twist on evasdropping/overhearing a secret.  It also led to this...

giphy.gif&key=2373437c2561004504fc7735fa

Oh I remember this.   Eva found out that her fiancée, Aidan, was sleeping with her "best friend" Maria.  Eva then proceeded to milk him for every penny he had.  Can't remember if she was faking her pregnancy yet or if that came after.   Anyway, good times on Coronation Street.   Sadly, that whole mess led to Aidan committing suicide (and some fabulous acting by the cast).   

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

All this is contingent on whether or not Billy is staying, I would think....

To me it sets up an exit story.  

But there is no excuse they haven't explored his memories at all even if he told them he was leaving in January..they could have done it and written him off.   The writers are choosing not to.  So it makes you think, why?  Pull the Drew/Sam thing like it never happened and not give a story to a character that had one fall into their laps. It's not like Drew doesn't have anything for them to write about like let's say Franco, where FV and company are scraping the barrel to find anything to make him relevant.  Not to mention adding Kim and Oscar on the canvas with connections to old Drew, but not using them in any real way for him and just having Drew stress over being daddy from time to time.  Quite an interesting route to take with this character.   You have all these pieces yet are not doing anything here.  

Reeks of shit and imo.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 9
On 8/8/2018 at 10:48 PM, amaranta said:

Robert: So, did you get a good night's sleep?

LWB/FS:  You know I didn't.  The WSB kept me up all night putting highlights in my hair.

Robert: . . . 

OMG this is hilarious

• Love 2
12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

How does Drew shoulder the blame for what these women have chosen to do? It doesn't really matter if he only shows brief glimpses into wanting to know about his past that still doesn't make it okay for them to decide to decide to basically play God with his life.

6 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

He's made zero attempt to fill in any of the blanks in his life. As of right now the only person he knows from his past is a murderhobo who stalked, kidnapped, terrorized and sexually assaulted his wife. That is not enough for any normal person.

It's a complete exaggeration to say he's made zero attempts to fill in the blanks in his life. He's questioned Kim about their past together and she said that he was always tight-lipped and didn't share much information. Dude went so far as to be willing to go under an experimental procedure and sign a DNR to get Jason's memories removed in the hopes of getting his memories back. Sure he hasn't done boring to show on-screen stuff like him googling himself but he has looked into as much about his fast as he could find. It's on the writers for how little they've done with it.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It's a complete exaggeration to say he's made zero attempts to fill in the blanks in his life. He's questioned Kim about their past together and she said that he was always tight-lipped and didn't share much information.

That was Sam. Sam sought out Kim to ask her to help fill in the blanks for Drew.  Drew...listened to Kim talk about their past when they got stuck in her car after she offered him a ride. Even that crap story with Drew/Jim/Franco was driven by the murderhobo's determination to recover some childhood memories, not Drew.

Drew has been shockingly, absurdly passive about his past; it's his most consistent character trait. He did it when he initially came out of his coma, he did it when Jason came home and he's doing it now. It's a slight exaggeration to say he's done nothing. He's like a baby bird, he'll accept info if it's pre-chewed and placed gently in his mouth, but he doesn't try to feed himself.

5 hours ago, linsav said:

Drew said what if one/some of his men were seriously injured or died searching for him, he couldn't live with that guilt.

But he could live with not ever trying to find out if that happened? No desire to make an anonymous donation to that poor hypothetical soldier's family?

Second, Curtis got a yearbook for Drew, he  read that he was an excellent athlete and student. He looked at it from front to back and it was like reading about a stranger to him. Curtis found out he pretty much kept to himself and buried himself in his studies.

Sounds about right.

Do you not watch nor read recaps?

I pay about as much attention to this show as the people writing it.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4

It’s driving me positively bonkers watching Dr. Michael Easton completely unfazed while a woman who could not be acting less like Anna says she doesn’t want Robert involved and digs a tracking device out of his arm. For one, shouldn’t he be having a low key panic attack with the lack of sterliziation, especially since Roxie is nowhere nearby to comfort him? And how am I supposed to buy this couple as even the slightest bit compelling if he doesn’t have any actual concept of the woman he’s supposedly infatuated with? 

LWB legit looks like Tim Allen mid-Santa Clause at this point. Mommy, make it stop. 

Edited by JeezumCrow
Capitalization is my friend.
  • Love 7

I can see that Carly's going to milk this Ferncliff ordeal for a good long while. Now she's wandering through Grayskull and talking about the afternoon light and the gardens in bloom...she's totally getting either "gone for months/years" writing or "survivor of near-death experience" writing. How long was she even in that place, in show time?  Her sentencing was on the June 11th show. We'll round up and say it's been two months of episodes since she saw the afternoon light and her beloved gardens, but a lot of those episodes dragged out a single day. Nelle was already hugely pregnant when Carly went in, and then she had the baby, and it's not six months old. I don't think Robin or Jason carried on this dramatically when they got back after actually being gone for years. And they didn't have their whole goddamned supporting cast popping in for visits constantly and telling them they were going to be out soon. 

The courtroom writing was standard soap. Both lawyers were getting away with things they'd never get away with. Alexis got to essentially give part of her closing argument and explain a legal point under the guise of redirect on Francesca, without a peep from Scotty. Liz volunteered stuff left and right, before Alexis had asked the relevant question. When there was an objection, there were either no grounds specified or they were the wrong objections.  But I can't help it, I enjoy both NLG and KS in legal mode. (I wish someone had worked with NLG on "mentor," though, because she was pronouncing it like "center" every time. I know, picky.) Hayley Erin did a good job in her speech on the stand.    

Vernee is lovely. I really like all of Stella's scenes with Mike.  

"Once things settle down, we're gonna set a date." Translation: If this wedding gets that far, you'll be puckering up to the NuJordan, Curtis.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 8