Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Ew, remembering Luke's accent with Dr. O reminded me of him and Anna doing it.  *reaches for the brain bleach*

Dr. von Schlimermann. Luke used that character a lot during the Guza years.

Did anyone else catch a mention one day this week about a fictional soap within a soap mentioned by Carly? I swear I heard her say something (to Jake?). Is Ron reruning his "Fraternity Row is ending" storyline?

Southwest General. Which someone said is the same name of the soap in yes, you guessed it, Tootsie.

• Love 2

Biggest laugh of the day was when Kiki reminded Morgan that he used to bartend when they were in college.  Now I sorta like Morgan and completely abhor and despise Kiki aka Mrs. PotatoHead - but COLLEGE??  THOSE TWO?  Unless they were on a cream pie scholarship to Clown College, I don't think so.

Second big laugh of the day - and every day we see it - is Michael in the BIG COAT.   You know, the BIG COAT that says he's a BIG EXXEKKUTIVE.  Cuz he's so SMAAARTT - like Fredo.  Corleone or Hobbit, you choose.  Mikey always looks like he got caught playing dress up in Mommy's fur coat.  (Couldn't be Snarly's coat since she wears her furs skin side out).

And then the final laugh that just isn't funny - Luke, Fluke, Puke, whatever, whoever, swinging that bat around as if he's not far more of a candidate for Boniva or Activia.  Guy is delusional and appalling, yes - scary, no.  Unless we're scared he'll put his back out.  

• Love 6

I don't mind Michael being angry at Morgan b/c if he is going to be angry at Carly for the same thing then it makes sense. What I do mind is him acting like a giant spoiled baby in front of Lucas and Lulu. How can anyone take him seriously as a grown ass man CEO if he is going to be so childish in public. That was totally embarassing and uncomfortable for Lucas and Lulu. Michael should have just said nothing about how he felt in that moment and talked to Morgan privately about him not working the ELQ party.  I did LOL at Lulu telling Michael she and Dante aren't taking sides and now I'm going to chase down poor Morgan.

I like Magda and I wish she would kill Ava, ugh I truely dislike her and her acting all superior to Magda, yah NOT!

I like Franco and Nina and thought Nina and Heather were really fun. Franco doesn't bother me I find him funny. I like him ribbing Sonny about his claustrophobia.

wow could Kiki be any more inconsiderate to Dante. Trying to get Dante to sympathize with Ava, who killed his cousin. Glad Dante put her in her place diplomatically.

• Love 1

How many scenes did Dante have with Connie? Yeah, I mean I guess they knew each other from BH but I thought when Kate saw Dante way back when she remembered him, but he hardly knew her. Ulkis, what's Dante's history with her? Might as well go right to the source. ;)

And Olivia lost all right to say anything after she screwed Sonny before Connie's body was even cold.

• Love 3

I'd rather have had Michael speak to Lulu privately about not hiring Morgan for the party. That would have been more Q like. Making a scene and making everyone uncomfortable felt more like something Sonny or Carly would have done. But I did wonder .. if Morgan is such a great bartender, why doesn't his own mother put him to work at the Metro Court? Wasn't she actively looking for a bartender just a few weeks ago?

• Love 7

I'd rather have had Michael speak to Lulu privately about not hiring Morgan for the party. That would have been more Q like. Making a scene and making everyone uncomfortable felt more like something Sonny or Carly would have done. But I did wonder .. if Morgan is such a great bartender, why doesn't his own mother put him to work at the Metro Court? Wasn't she actively looking for a bartender just a few weeks ago?

Because Carly would rather sniff after Jake and offer him a job for which he isn't qualified, rather than pay any attention to her own son.

• Love 12

How many scenes did Dante have with Connie? Yeah, I mean I guess they knew each other from BH but I thought when Kate saw Dante way back when she remembered him, but he hardly knew her. Ulkis, what's Dante's history with her? Might as well go right to the source. ;)

And Olivia lost all right to say anything after she screwed Sonny before Connie's body was even cold.

I don't care how well anyone knew anyone or what anyone has said. Murder is murder is murder. Makes no difference if the person was good or bad. If one murderer deserves prison for the crime then they all do. And regardless of how well Dante knew his cousin she is still his family and he is a police officer. It was totally selfish and rude to expect him to sympathize with Ava.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 6

zilch. They didn't even know each other from Bensonherst, Connie went to Princeton to school when he was a baby and never came back to visit. Connie only recognized him when they saw each other the first time in P.C. was cause she said she recognized Sonny's eyes. blerg. So blatant lie haha when he said he loved Connie very much. But he thinks his mom loved her, so, I get why he gave Kiki the brush off.

As much as I loved to see Dante make annoyed faces at Kiki, I have no idea what the point of their scenes were. Maybe something was cut, because spoilers said they were supposed to talk about parenthood.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

zilch. They didn't even know each other from Bensonherst, Connie went to Princeton to school when he was a baby and never came back to visit. Connie only recognized him when they saw each other the first time in P.C. was cause she said she recognized Sonny's eyes. blerg. So blatant lie haha when he said he loved Connie very much. But he thinks his mom loved her, so.

Thank you, that's exactly what I thought.

• Love 2

Carly can only concern herself with one person at a time. Yesterday she chose to care about Carly. Today she chose herself; and tomorrow, Carly is first in her queue. As you can see, she very busy.

• Love 17
I like [Franco] ribbing Sonny about his claustrophobia.

What claustrophobia?

I know that back in the day, the running theme from the Sonny-proppers was that he couldn't go to prison because his claustrophobia would kill him, but much like a boyfriend who says he's going to commit suicide if you leave him, he's still alive. I know I'm living in a dream world expecting any kind of consistency from MoRon, but now that he and Julian have become.....whatever they've become, Sonny is not only not suffering, he's having a Goddamned day at Disneyland.

• Love 10

Can someone just take Fluke's bat from him and club him in the head? I'm so sick of him swinging it around like he's hot shit.

Franco was comedy gold with Sonny and Julian. Julian threatening to beat him up made me laugh.

Michael is making me not like him anymore. Enough with acting like a spoiled child. You can be mad at your family but stop making a public scene about it.

• Love 3

Can someone just take Fluke's bat from him and club him in the head? I'm so sick of him swinging it around like he's hot shit.

YES to the dickhead with the bat.  It's almost as tiresome as I find Geary's bloviating that he's passing off as acting.  Amazing what a big ego can be fitted into such a tiny brain.

Him trying to play tough guy never worked for me, and now, at this stage in his life it's cringe-inducing.

• Love 5

Biggest laugh of the day was when Kiki reminded Morgan that he used to bartend when they were in college.  Now I sorta like Morgan and completely abhor and despise Kiki aka Mrs. PotatoHead - but COLLEGE??  THOSE TWO?  Unless they were on a cream pie scholarship to Clown College, I don't think so.

Morgan was in college when BC first came on the show.  When the gambling storyline began.

That's why I want Dante (and others) to harass him to finish. You can have Morgan and Kiki fucking around doing something, then you hear sirens and see red and blue lights flash and woop woop! Here comes Dante rolling up (offscreen)! Yelling out of the car on a megaphone: "GO BACK TO SCHOOL!" It'd be great. Morgan tries to argue with him that it's harassment - "I AM THE LAW!"

Morgan may or may not finish, of course - I think it's a more realistic beat for the needy, nouveau riche mobster's son to gravitate back to the family nest despite having no real skills, at least for now. Open some club with Daddy's money and play the master of ceremonies, and then regret some more choices in a few years.

• Love 7
Franco's gotta go.

I would love to see Sonny vacate the premises.  His taint on this soap for the past two decades has ruined this soap for me.  IF there was a choice between the two, I would much rather watch RH not give a decent acting performance than ever having to see MB again on my screen. 

I loved the random info drop of Kiki saying Carly's been helping out with taking care of Avery.  Oh, really?

Between that and Lucas' restoration of his medical career due to Carly - along with her taking care of the indigent, it was Carly prop week.  I  wish that she and Sonny would take a real long vacation.  It is way past time that Sonny and Carly take a break (preferably permanent) from this show.  This show is overflowing with more interesting characters/actors to fill the thirty-seven minutes.

[ETA: Grammar.  I can't even remember how to spell 'grammar'.  That's Sonny's fault too!  And it's also his fault that I can't enjoy Tom and Bill's awesome accomplishments.]

Edited by sunnyface
  • Love 6

I personally like and sympathize with both Michael and Morgan honestly. I mean, I'm cutting Michael a lot of slack for his OTT anger and childishness because the man who raised him murdered his father in cold blood and his mother, brother, and girlfriend all knew and hid it from him. Like that is some shit. I think he deserves like at least 6 months to just be absolutely angry and selfish about that. From Morgan's perspective though, I understand why he kept the secret and I sympathize with his reasoning. The poor boy is just real dumb and he just wants a family who loves him. Morgan is also acting very childish right now. IMO they're both to blame and yet understandable and sympathetic.

I like Heather.  And Ava.  And Magda.

Same. I'd rather watch all of them than Sonny, Franco, and Julian.

Did anyone else catch a mention one day this week about a fictional soap within a soap mentioned by Carly? I swear I heard her say something (to Jake?). Is Ron reruning his "Fraternity Row is ending" storyline?

You know, I'm down for him ReRoning Fraternity Row because I loved that shit!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

To the extent I give a crap about anything to do with Morgan (which is to say, practically zilch), I will say he's been in a crap position since day one.

What was he gonna do, take Michael aside and say "psst, dad killed your bio-dad and then screwed my girlfriend on his grave. Thought you'd like to know, mmmkay?"

As messed up as Michael is from the "parenting" he received, Morgan has been raised with the same brainwashing from Sonny and Carly: loyalty (to Sonny and Carly) comes first; don't be a snitch and tell a secret that's not yours to tell (you don't want to be a sanctimonious jerk like Robin, do you?); daddy dearest will fuck up your life and you just have to accept it and love him anyway because poor Sonny, etc. etc.

But I get Michael's anger at everyone right now.

• Love 5

I just cannot stand that the narrative the show is trying to sell right now is, "Look what an immature tool Michael is being now that he's a Quartermaine.  Look how being cut off from his family has changed him!". 

Because, first off, while Ron has been writing him as bland good guy for the last year or two, this is hardly the first time Michael has acted petulant, childish, etc. 

And second, again, there's no balance because the love and support I am sure he is getting from the Quartermaines is all happening off-screen.  You know Monica is doting on him with love and support.  You know Ned and off-screen Auntie Skye are lending him an ear with ELQ advice.  And you know that even with their issues, Tracy would be down for a good old-fashioned Sonny/Carly bash session.

I wasn't really watching OLTL during the rapemance, but I have to imagine what I'm feeling is what viewers during that fallout felt, just..aghast that we're supposed to sweep it all under the rug, just get over it.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Michael went back to Michael Cortinthos or even Michael Corinthos-Quartermaine at the end of this.  And that would probably be when I shut this show off for good.

• Love 10
Note that the Eckert tombstone says "father, brother, cousin." Who does that? I'm tellin' you, there's no 'cousin' about it.

"Nephew" didn't fit?

that little girl breathy voice

Ugh, that drives me nuts. It doesn't make a grown woman sound vulnerable, it makes her sound unhinged. Fitting for Nina, I suppose, but I don't think that's what MSt was going for there.

Dr. von Schlimermann. Luke used that character a lot during the Guza years.

Who's supposed to be Dutch. TG does a decent job speaking Dutch, but he's pretty bad with a Dutch accent speaking English.

• Love 1

I need to not see Magda again. Unless her next scene is her last where she has to slink back to prison and admit to Ava that the judge didn't buy her BS.

I also need some Quartermaine action that doesn't include/revolve around how Fluke is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

I'm mildly interested in the party on the HS, mostly to see what everyone wears.

• Love 2

And no offense meant to Monica b/c I don't dislike her but she DID raise AJ and Jason and sorry but,um THAT didn't seem to turn out too well either.

I think how Jason turned out is all on Sonny and Carly, and nothing on Monica.

He's so not engaged. I mean, when he turns off, it is so blindingly obvious that he has absolutely no fucks to give. I wish he'd just leave already. Go be on The Flash full time and save GH some money to buy new color to paint the sets.

They'd probably just use the money to hire another new character.  Sadly, I'd rather see more gray paint.

Are we supposed to think Ava, Julian, Madeline, and Sonny are in the same prison? I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like coed prisons don't exist anywhere in the U.S.

What I don't get is why people are sent to Pentonville who haven't been tried yet!

Oh, is THAT what he said? I thought he said he calls her "Avery baby" and I was like I know it's Morgan but does he seriously not realize why he calls her that . . . ?

"Avery baby" is what my closed captioning said, but it's been known to be wrong.

I agree, must suffer from the same thing. This show is an utter and total mess yet I can't look away, oh maybe that is something different...

It's that whole can't look away from a car wreck thing...

I wasn't really watching OLTL during the rapemance, but I have to imagine what I'm feeling is what viewers during that fallout felt, just..aghast that we're supposed to sweep it all under the rug, just get over it.

Oh, yeah.  My most hated soap characters ever:  Sonny, Carly, Jason... and Robert Ford.  Unless you're referring to the other "rapemance" - Fake!Todd/Marty - which I didn't watch, thankfully.  Sad that a show had two "rapemances"....

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 1

"Avery baby" is what my closed captioning said, but it's been known to be wrong.

I thought it was "Avery baby" the first time I heard it. BC's not the best at enunciating, but lately practically everyone is guilty of this. I'm checking closed captioning constantly.

What I don't get is why people are sent to Pentonville who haven't been tried yet!

AND THIS. I wish Ron would stop saying he went to Law School. It's is like me saying I am an Animator because I went to Disneyland.....GEEZ

You know I was going to end it there...but this is my biggest pet peeve with Ron. I could live with the bad story telling and misuse of characters (God knows Guza and others have done both) but Ron continues to treat me and other fans as if we are stupid.

It is simple things, like in the past when characters were coming from far away we would see them on a plane. The plane may move ultra fast but at least there was a freakin plane. Now we just port back and forth.  We don't "get the car" to drive to Pentonville from PC we just walk out the door. Just little tiny things that give me the impression Ron thinks we are all morons

Edited by Fylaki
  • Love 1

Well, yeah. Anything that might be positive or heartwarming about this story - Michael finding support from the Qs - will not be allowed on screen.

Then we wouldn't be able to see Michael snapping at Carly while she looks all smiley and innocent and aww and Lucas feeling sorry for her.

This show will never change. Carly/Sonny are good. No matter what bad things they do. Michael will apologize and cry and change his name back to Corinthos at some point. Ron doesn't care about the Q's.

But at least I have the scene where Mikey says AJ is father that I can watch on a loop.

• Love 3

AND THIS. I wish Ron would stop saying he went to Law School.

Similar to Ron, my major in college, many years ago, was Criminal Justice, but I never worked in the field, so, unlike Ron, I know my limitations on the subject. 

I hope these unconvicted prisoners in Pentonville will at least get credit for time served if convicted.  If exonerated, sue the state!

You know I was going to end it there...but this is my biggest pet peeve with Ron. I could live with the bad story telling and misuse of characters (God knows Guza and others have done both) but Ron continues to treat me and other fans as if we are stupid.

There are limitations to hand waving, but Ron has sadly never learned that lesson in writing.  Here's another one, Ron:  SHOW, don't tell.

• Love 1

Well, yeah. Anything that might be positive or heartwarming about this story - Michael finding support from the Qs - will not be allowed on screen.

If the show is still trying to sell a 'Q's are OMG TUH EVUL' narrative, and I honestly don't know if it is, that narrative is totally undermined by having the female lead allow her son to spend a lot of time with the Q's at their house. Yes 99% of it has been off-screen, but we are told frequently that it is happening.

• Love 1

I don't think the show is portraying the Qs as evil. But I do think that - like most of the characters I actually give a damn about - they are treated as negligible and with at least some mild disdain.

So I think the show isn't going to spend much time on Michael learning more about the Qs, celebrating their quirks as Michael leans on them, etc. the Qs are there right now as a foil for Fluke, not to be portrayed as complex interesting people who serve as a safe harbor for Michael right now - which is character building, nuanced stuff I'd actually enjoy and which soaps should do a lot more of (and used to do).

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 10

Michael interacting with the Qs (esp Monica) is the biggest, glaring gap in this show right now. How a head writer can fool himself into believing that the Qs aren't an important story beat in the re-Quartermaining of Michael Quartermaine... well, it is astonishing. But we could still get a day when the last few months of Q interaction is crammed into one episode like they did with the Mayor race.

re: the "Quartermaines are evil" discussion.. yes the previous head writer dissected them, killed them off and nuetered them and there was some hope with Ron came in that he would turn that around. But we haven't really seen too much of that. I think the hope (for the fans) was that AJ represented a new era .... but we all saw where that went (and in favor of the same ol same ol Mob).  At least the Carly rhetroic of how evil the Quartermaines are (as opposed to the mob boss, Sonny, of course) is toned down a bit and every so often we do get an alternate point of view from Tracy or someone on how terrible the mob is.... but .. crumbs.

Edited by DayPlayerAtKellys
  • Love 6

I don't think the show is portraying the Qs as evil. But I do think that - like most of the characters I actually give a damn about - they are treated as negligible and with at least some mild disdain.

So I think the show isn't going to spend much time on Michael learning more about the Qs, celebrating their quirks as Michael leans on them, etc. the Qs are there right now as a foil for Fluke, not to be portrayed as complex interesting people who serve as a safe harbor for Michael right now - which is character building, nuanced stuff I'd actually enjoy and which soaps should do a lot more of (and used to do).

I think that's how Ron and Frank treat most of the 'good' people on the show. If they're solid and dependable performers playing mostly heroic characters they often don't get attention - Dante, Lulu, etc. - outside of plot motive. And while I think Ron cares more for the Q's than Guza and at times has even displayed a real love for them, he would still prefer to be working more with his flashy, outsize characters and actors - Gati, Michelle Stafford, Roger Howarth, etc. all playing crazy characters that leap out at him. He's ADD.

I just cannot stand that the narrative the show is trying to sell right now is, "Look what an immature tool Michael is being now that he's a Quartermaine.  Look how being cut off from his family has changed him!". 

[...]

This is exactly what it was like. Only that was much worse. The guy (re-)raped Marty in November, and the (re-)rapist was back to having funny sex romps with his defense attorney by the spring. We were expected to be engaged with that emerging love story and a murder mystery and not bother with anything else.

They clearly have very little interest in presenting Michael's POV. People like Lucas and Dante get to pay lip service to it, but what do they actually say? 'Oh, everyone lied to him, it's horrible, yeah, but really, Sonny and Carly just wanted to protect him and not hurt him worse.' Protect him from what? Hurt him worse than what? Than the loss of his father? Who Sonny killed, and he and Carly covered it up? Why doesn't anyone just say what they did? Because Sonny and Carly are the ones who did it, nobody else. And that makes it come off a lot less self-sacrificing in the dialogue. It's not like they hid that A.J. was alive.

I don't think Michael is a douchebag or a prick or anything else, I think he's reacting to all that bullshit exactly the way I would. And it drives me nuts because they are using shit he would know nothing about to work to turn the audience on him - 'look, he's so stupid, he doesn't know about Fluke! Why is Michael getting in the way? If only he'd forgive Sonny and Carly this wouldn't happen!' Well, why the fuck should he? Nobody's saying why.

I think LW does great work even with this dreck. But if Carly would have one scene - one - maybe at the Quartermaine mausoleum, drunk, whatever, where she rambles about her lot in life and admits that she made a mistake - she treated him unfairly starting back in their days at Jake's or wherever with that whole 'I put you in a cart and poured booze on you' thing, she did him wrong with baby Michael, she was resentful of his relationship with Michael as an adult, and she shouldn't have covered for Sonny. She doesn't have to love him and beg for his forgiveness, but she can say she's sorry. She doesn't even have to do it there, she can do it anywhere. She did it for Tony after he died.

If Carly would do that once it would go a long way, if the show and the characters would acknowledge that 'yeah, Michael is right to feel this way, we did wrong and it wasn't for some greater good and it's not something Michael needs to understand, we need to understand what we did.' I mean, they don't even let Michael become emotional now, really, which is part of the issue. If you let Chad Duell cry about it a bit onscreen and talk about what it's like for Michael, maybe the dumber segment of the audience would understand. But they don't want that. All they want is 'snobby rich boy Michael is ruining things for the good guys with his selfish feelings.'

And the pathetic thing is these writers are smarter than that. They know what they're doing, they just don't care. They had their big November sweeps moment and now they want you to move on, please. Stop being so overly critical!

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 17

Well given that 95% of the citizenry of PC are criminals and the PCPD only has two holding cells, there's no where to house the accused, so off to Pentonville they go until they're released for doing bad things for the right reasons and really having good hearts.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 3

What absolutely kills me about this show is that, yeah they have more budget constraints and challenges as a daytime soap - but GH has some unique advantages that it just utterly squanders.

Some great talent in the actors that is just utterly wasted if that person is not playing one of the pets characters.

Fascinating history that the show thinks it celebrates - but really, really doesn't. It doesn't help me if the show knows all the obscure plot history if that history isn't used to write characters in a recognizable, true to character, interesting way.

Time - with five episodes a week, the show had the time to explore the nuances of the characters and explore all the beats and POVs of the characters.

Yet somehow the show refuses to do that and we end up with the same recycled stuff over and over, (can we say a dozen kidnap/hostage scenarios a year?) while just skimming the surface of what the characters should be thinking or feeling.

• Love 12
If Carly would do that once it would go a long way, if the show and the characters would acknowledge that 'yeah, Michael is right to feel this way, we did wrong and it wasn't for some greater good and it's not something Michael needs to understand, we need to understand what we did.'

don't forget - "fell down the stairs while I was arguing with AJ and told everyone that he pushed me rather than that I lost my footing while having a hissy fit" I think this is the one thing she never confided in with Jason .... but I saw it. It happened.

• Love 7

What in the hell with Luke's southern accent?

I thought TG was going for a "Cape Fear" sort of thing.

I know Ava may not be the most credible witness since she is in jail for murder but wouldn't she be involved in Madga's trial since it was Ava who was the victim in Magda's lastest crime?  Why wouldn't Ava be testifying that Magda wasn't being intimidated by Nina?

• Love 4

don't forget - "fell down the stairs while I was arguing with AJ and told everyone that he pushed me rather than that I lost my footing while having a hissy fit" I think this is the one thing she never confided in with Jason .... but I saw it. It happened.

And that time at the nurses ball in the early 2000s, when she basically told Robin it was her fault AJ was drinking and "pushed" her down stairs ... Uh huh, Ok, sure, Carly, Robin telling the truth about Michael is the reason AJ did NOT push you down stairs while you were gloating about being pregnant with yet another man's baby and flailing around like an idiot. That's Carly logic for you!

I will say it is quite in character for Carly to be this obtuse as to why Michael is mad right now. The Franco relationship was way out of character. But her whole involvement in covering up Sonny killing AJ and how she expects Michael to understand her motivations - yes, that is classic Carly.

• Love 4

I'm mildly interested in the party on the HS, mostly to see what everyone wears.

The Haunted Star supposedly is cursed. The Franco Carly wedding was a disaster (though fun for the viewers).  Maxie and Levi's wedding didn't work out so good either.  Both owners have ties to criminal elements.  Yes - that seems like the perfect place to throw a party for a clinic!   Seriously though, why not a name change?

• Love 3

The Haunted Star supposedly is cursed

It's been cursed since the days it was called the Titan and owned by the Cassadines.  All sorts of weird shit happened while Robert and Luke were revamping it into the Haunted Star.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 1

Time - with five episodes a week, the show had the time to explore the nuances of the characters and explore all the beats and POVs of the characters.

Yet somehow the show refuses to do that and we end up with the same recycled stuff over and over, (can we say a dozen kidnap/hostage scenarios a year?) while just skimming the surface of what the characters should be thinking or feeling.

And the thing is, when they brought back AMC and OLTL online two years ago I was concerned about this. They were going back to a half-hour for the first time since the '70s. I certainly was not familiar with those shows running at anything less than an hour and I was worried how it would play. But they still managed to do more character beats and exploration of people's feelings in under 30 minutes everyday than they had done in many years on ABC, or in what GH was or is doing with an hour timeslot. It was astounding. You don't need all the time, you just have to take the time. Instead GH too often fills the time - almost everything goes towards plot, driving to the next big plot beat.

And you're right, it is squandered talent because they do have some very good instincts and ideas. Ron has always had some good ideas. He has always deeply cared about soap opera and certainly about GH's history; people think he hates it but he's one of the few left who doesn't. He loves it, he just has no brakes and no sense of moderation and no one to rein him in or look at the characters vs. his plots anymore. No one else left in the business today (except maybe Brad Bell) would think to throw in some upcoming episode where Bobbie, Lulu and Lucas go pay tribute to Ruby - they'd all be like, 'who gives a shit, she was a talk-to who died in the '90s!' But that's a bit of generational storytelling. Even if it serves a plot motive, which I am sure it does, there is nothing wrong with a nice character beat that also serves ongoing plot. That is 95% of soap opera, frankly. The problem comes when it's all about the plot, nothing else, and the characters and their needs and throughlines, what defines them, gets lost in the plot. Which it almost always does now.

They have so much talent at that show and they have such love for GH and its history BTS. But nobody is stopping to think about the characters amidst the giant Plot. And their budget is so strapped and their lease on life is so tenuous that they're always dancing as fast as they can and really pushing it out - I get that, I lived it with OLTL too. But the show is a mess, and it doesn't have to be, but they're so high on not only that grind, but also on the praise they've gotten and the excitement of that that they don't stop to look at whether the show going out to air serves anything other than the next plot beat or their big star they're currently really hyped about. Because I am sure that is what their spot-check process is in the editing room, and it doesn't work anymore. The show is broken. It's a lot less broken than it was, say, six months ago or in the summer of 2013 when they brought the OLTL trio back, but it's still fucked up. And it doesn't have to be.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 7

I am so tired of Luke and Fake Luke!!!Just give them both a gun and have them shoot each other. I guess Im just sick of the way the whole show is being written now days. Its HORRIBLE!! NOTHING  is redeeming about any of the characters on it.They are so boring. IMHO. I find it even hard to snark about it because I spend so much time fast forwarding it. How many damn times are they going to bring HEATHER back in the same old boring role?? Carly, Jason,Liz. OMG I'm so done with it!!

It's been cursed since the days it was called the Titan and owned by the Cassadines. All sorts of weird shit happened while Robert and Luke were revamping it into the Haunted Star.

Ha ha, I'm watching those episodes now -- Luke's big prize for saving PC from the Cassadines freezing it is ... the Cassadines' yacht for which he can't even afford docking fees. He's hilariously annoyed by it.

• Love 2

It's been cursed since the days it was called the Titan and owned by the Cassadines.  All sorts of weird shit happened while Robert and Luke were revamping it into the Haunted Star.

Ha ha, I'm watching those episodes now -- Luke's big prize for saving PC from the Cassadines freezing it is ... the Cassadines' yacht for which he can't even afford docking fees. He's hilariously annoyed by it.

Ah, interesting.  Only knew that Helena gifted it to Luke & Laura per an episode last week.  Still think it's time for a new name.  Hopefully, they won't burn it down or blow it up to save on sets.

That's why I want Dante (and others) to harass him to finish. You can have Morgan and Kiki fucking around doing something, then you hear sirens and see red and blue lights flash and woop woop! Here comes Dante rolling up (offscreen)! Yelling out of the car on a megaphone: "GO BACK TO SCHOOL!" It'd be great. Morgan tries to argue with him that it's harassment - "I AM THE LAW!"

Morgan may or may not finish, of course - I think it's a more realistic beat for the needy, nouveau riche mobster's son to gravitate back to the family nest despite having no real skills, at least for now. Open some club with Daddy's money and play the master of ceremonies, and then regret some more choices in a few years.

I am stealing this idea from you and writing fic, because the show isn't gonna give it to us, and I need it damnit.

• Love 2