Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

This touches on a very sore point for me.  The soap industry has downsized tremendously the last five to ten years.  There are scores of soap actors, writers, etc. for every one job available.  In any other industry, that would mean those jobs were filled with the cream of the crop, the best of the best.  Yet on GH, they're still recruiting someone of the streets with no acting experience.  And recycling the same show runners and writers who've run other soaps into the ground.  I don't get it.

Actors they don't really have an excuse, but I think with the writers, I think they miss out on a lot of decent writers because not a lot of them want to commit to the time and material it takes to write a daily soap opera.

ETA: Chad Duell's last chance to have been nominated for younger actor was in 2013. The  next upcoming emmys he can only submit in supporting or leading. So, he might have a chance in supporting, but it's a slim one. But hell, will they even have a daytime emmys after this year's fiasco?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

In all seriousness, the Daytime Emmys are now a joke. There are only 4 soaps left. It's like awarding anyone who shows up. The prestige died when Susan Lucci won her Emmy in 1999. Love her or hate her, people tuned in every year to see if she'd win or lose.

Once she did win, the suspense ended, and ratings tumbled.

Mail the suckers now and call it a day.

• Love 1
Mail the suckers now and call it a day.

Hear hear. Everything about Soaps are such a joke now, things weren't this bad when Passions was running still even. The writing, the directing, the acting, there's nothing standout anymore in any of the categories, imho. And the better actors have pretty much given up and moved on.

Chad Duell's last chance to have been nominated for younger actor was in 2013. The  next upcoming emmys he can only submit in supporting or leading

That's what I was thinking ulkis but I couldn't remember the cut off age. Unless someone is going to be paid off, heh, I don't see him surviving in either category, certainly not leading, and in supporting he's a small fish in a fairly big pond, especially going up against the guys on CBS, Y&R and The Bold and the Beautiful. Hell, Billy's on GH now which only hurts his chances worse.

And speaking of Billy...that reminds me that he and Kelly are sharing scenes tomorrow and if the words "you seem familiar" or anything similar come out of her mouth I am just done.

Edited by CPP83
Danny was "mysteriously" drawn to Jakson. He'll probably call Jakson "Daddy" and not know why, Sam will apologize profusely, and then realize there's an unspoken bond....

*Rocks in a corner humming* Lalalala....nope, nope nope nope.

• Love 1
Every once in a while, I really miss Passions.  Don't judge.

At least they fully accepted their position as a joke of a soap, they never tried to be anything more or be taken seriously. I mean they created a half male half female rapist serial killer who had a baby with their biological father...I did have to hand it to them that they were willing to push past all limits.

This show wants to be taken so seriously while the stupidest shit is going on. Michael is holding Sonny's at gun point while the Nina coos her crazy babble to the baby as if all is fine and dandy while Franco continues to terrorize the town at will and Jakson and Liz are probably busy playing charades over hot chocolate while they gaze into each other's eyes with yearning

I'm pretty sure it was, which prompted Michael to ask him if he was going to shoot him just like he did Dante.

No, Michael asked him to put the gun down, and then said that line about Dante.  I never saw Sonny point the gun at Michael, and in fact, he has it at his side for most of the confrontation and even turns away from Michael a few times.  I never saw a moment when Sonny pointed the gun at Michael.  

I respectfully disagree. Sonny only came clean to Michael because he had no choice, thanks to Franco.

That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about when Sonny was telling Michael what happened regarding AJ and Ava, and Michael asked him if he killed AJ to save Ava, Sonny could easily have lied and sugar coated what happened.  He told Michael the truth - that he shot AJ when he was unarmed and not a threat.  I give Sonny points for that because he could have lied and painted himself in a better light by saying he was saving someone.  Ava certainly lied to everyone about her role in AJ's death.  She lied to Julian, Morgan, and Kiki.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3
That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about when Sonny was telling Michael what happened regarding AJ and Ava, and Michael asked him if he killed AJ to save Ava, Sonny could easily have lied and sugar coated what happened.  He told Michael the truth - that he shot AJ when he was unarmed and not a threat. 

IMO, unless Sonny told Michael the entire truth, that he stood over AJ while he was in a coma in the hospital and whisper-snarled about how he should go ahead and die, then he sugar-coated it. In for a penny, in for a pound, particularly since Ava trying to finish the job has been mentioned. The only reason Sonny wasn't the one trying to cut off a defenseless AJ's air is because he must have thought that the sheer venom in his voice would have succeeded in killing the poor bastard.

• Love 14

Question: since Passions was mentioned, how the hell has Ben Masters not landed on another soap? I'm like.....no. I also kinda miss Precious, the orangutan nurse.

On topic: How long shall it take to get Recording into Micheal's ears? I'm wondering if Spinelli will be held criminally responsible and that will get Maxie her baby back. Scott said anyone involved is going down.

Chad Duell's last chance to have been nominated for younger actor was in 2013. The  next upcoming emmys he can only submit in supporting or leading. So, he might have a chance in supporting, but it's a slim one. But hell, will they even have a daytime emmys after this year's fiasco?

Oh, well then there's no chance in hell he'll get nommed!

IMO, unless Sonny told Michael the entire truth, that he stood over AJ while he was in a coma in the hospital and whisper-snarled about how he should go ahead and die, then he sugar-coated it. In for a penny, in for a pound, particularly since Ava trying to finish the job has been mentioned. The only reason Sonny wasn't the one trying to cut off a defenseless AJ's air is because he must have thought that the sheer venom in his voice would have succeeded in killing the poor bastard.

Yea really. Plus, Sonny still pulled out the, "He was choking a woman, Michael. A WOMAN! You know how much I care about women!" shit, so he did try to sugar-coat it/make himself look like some kind of hero.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

Right?  Michael said that what they did lacked humanity and mercy. If he only knew the depths of it.  If he only knew how inhumane and merciless they both were over his deathbed.  Carly lied about AJ's last words and she also left out that she was still snarling at him before he said them.

And Sonny did lie to Michael.  He said he wouldn't have shot him if he knew his innocence.  That's BS since he told dead Connie that he would have done it again.

• Love 10
Sonny still pulled out the, "He was choking a woman, Michael. A WOMAN! You know how much I care about women!" shit, so he did try to sugar-coat it/make himself look like some kind of hero.

Sweetened by the fact that he had just pulled a gun on a woman who had just been terrorized, forced into labor and had her newborn kidnapped.  But in Sonny's defense, Ava did kill one of his girlfriends - but she was the one he was cheating on, and the kidnapped baby was of the female ilk.  What a guy to have as a leading man of a soap. 

What is the fascination with the Nina/O's?  So much screen time  has been allotted to them and it looks pretty boring - even in fast forward mode.  Waste of time and money.  17 more months of Nina.  Yuck.  Lucky Y&R to get rid of her.  Meanwhile, Barkeep Mac is on for a smidgeon and his biggest contribution in the last month is wiping down the bar.  Can't wait for Robert Scorpio to come back. 

What about Spinelli's tape of the AJ's recording?  Can he be held as an accessory and Maxi get her kids? 

Looking forward to some Q action this week.

• Love 6

I can see them throwing him, and his fans, a bone and giving him a nomination at least for appeasement, but a win is way out of his reach, imho.

I can see it from both sides myself when it comes to Sonny answering Michael and telling him all.

He didn't sugar coat the fact he shot AJ, regardless of what he said or thought afterwards that is the worst thing he did. He openly killed a man, an unarmed, innocent man, but he didn't try to justify that he did.

However Sonny also isn't on hands and knees telling Michael he deserves to die for committing such a heinous, unforgivable crime, and that's because he is Sonny. No he isn't going to confess any and every truly horrible act he committed to the kid, when has he ever taken full responsibility for anything?

To me if Sonny did suddenly appear overly remorseful and told the whole truth and nothing but that wouldn't match who he is or how he felt about AJ. He murdered him because he hated him, first and foremost, at least that part stayed true to Sonny, as does the idea that he still wants Michael to feel sorry for him and "understand" where he is coming from.

So Silas and Nathan have been running around looking for Nina for how long?  Since she has her cell phone on and with her wouldn't it be pretty easy to find her?  I hadn't thought of that aspect until she took a call from her good friend Franco on Friday.  That huge plot hole took me out of the scenes.  I couldn't stop thinking about how easy it would be for the police to pinpoint her location.

I enjoyed Michael's rant at Sonny (particularly the part about how he was a pawn and his whole life had been about Sonny and Carly's hatred of AJ) but I don't want him to shoot Sonny.  I don't ever want Michael to have to feel guilty for shooting Sonny.  He shouldn't have to think of him ever again once he testifies against him in court.

• Love 5

Well, maybe someone here is willing to host? Perhaps someone with a large enough backyard...

(seriously, that thing last year was embarassing)

Every single poster on this board could do a better job than Griffin and those YouTube bitchslutwhoretramps. Though we'd have to keep @cattitude away from Ryan Paevey . . . Edited by Tiger
  • Love 6

Just a couple of hours, I think. Halloween in PC has been a jam-packed day.

I think it's been longer than that.  Nathan took a break to eat at Kelly's and moon over a picture of Maxie on his phone and that was the same episode where Maxie and Lucas took Joss out for (ugh) Beggers' Night.

Well, maybe someone here is willing to host? Perhaps someone with a large enough backyard...

(seriously, that thing last year was embarassing)

My parents have a decently big backyard.  They could put the podium on the deck of the above ground pool, and we can get all the neighbors to bring over all their folding chairs. There's even an extra long driveway they could lay out a red carpet on for arrivals.  Of course, it's May in the Chicago area, so, you're taking a big gamble on the weather...And you'd have to take commercial breaks to walk the dogs (one of whom pees multiple times every hour and one who has emotional issues - wait, I'm getting a plan here - can we make Ron handle pooper scooper duty? Please?).  It'd still be classier than the last one.  Bonus points for the redneck neighbors who always have a huge stash of illegal fireworks that could really class things up.  

I think they should show the damn thing in the daytime, since that's the audience who's interested.  Don't put it in prime time, on a news channel, or internet streaming only.  Just rotate it among the three networks who still show soaps and pick a day.  The other networks will agree to show repeat episodes on that day.  Get someone like Kelly Ripa to host.  Or, hell, Cameron Mathison (as much as I loathed Ryan Lavery, I like CM).  But, regardless of the how/where/when, give the show back some dignity.  Most of these people have worked their asses off to get where they are, and to get the recognition they're getting there.  Don't make it an embarrassment.  And don't portray those of us who watch and love (and love to hate) these shows look trashy and ridiculous.  That "event" was offensive to those who work in and watch soaps.  

I'm going to laugh if, after everything that happened last week, today picks up with Liz and Jake still at the exact same point they were at when we last saw them.  Were they in some sort of suspended animation while all this went on?  

• Love 3
Sonny still pulled out the, "He was choking a woman, Michael. A WOMAN! You know how much I care about women!" shit, so he did try to sugar-coat it/make himself look like some kind of hero.

Sweetened by the fact that he had just pulled a gun on a woman who had just been terrorized, forced into labor and had her newborn kidnapped.​

And not just *a woman* who had been through all of that - it was the very same woman that he claims he was protecting before!  "I couldn't stand to see AJ hurt a woman.  I wanted to be the one to hurt her."  It's so insane that it's hilarious.  

• Love 7

And not just *a woman* who had been through all of that - it was the very same woman that he claims he was protecting before!  "I couldn't stand to see AJ hurt a woman.  I wanted to be the one to hurt her."  It's so insane that it's hilarious.  

"It's only OK to hurt the bitchslutwhoretramps when they do something to me!!  AJ had no right to be mad at her for framing him for murder, he's AJ, he should just expect that shit to happen to him and roll with it!" 

• Love 10

I like how serial drama put it when they transcribed the conversation between AJ and Sonny before Sonny shot him:

Sonny Corinthos, protector of women: This is how you get off? Hurting women, abusing them, killing them?

• Love 1
He didn't sugar coat the fact he shot AJ, regardless of what he said or thought afterwards that is the worst thing he did. He openly killed a man, an unarmed, innocent man, but he didn't try to justify that he did.

However Sonny also isn't on hands and knees telling Michael he deserves to die for committing such a heinous, unforgivable crime, and that's because he is Sonny. No he isn't going to confess any and every truly horrible act he committed to the kid, when has he ever taken full responsibility for anything?

To me if Sonny did suddenly appear overly remorseful and told the whole truth and nothing but that wouldn't match who he is or how he felt about AJ. He murdered him because he hated him, first and foremost, at least that part stayed true to Sonny, as does the idea that he still wants Michael to feel sorry for him and "understand" where he is coming from.

I really love this kind of soap opera logic. No, seriously, I love it. Franco was also in character by being the monster that we always knew he was, tearing the lid off of this whole disgusting business because Carly hurt his feelings. Sure, he revealed the truth for purely selfish reasons, and had Carly and Sonny not defiled Michael's apartment he would have been perfectly happy to take the secret to his grave, but it was in character for sociopathic Franco to cause as much damage as he could while chortling on the sidelines. .

Is it in character for Sonny to lie his face off to Michael and act as if he was trying to protect Ava? Protecting her so that, y'know, he could kidnap her, wait until she gave birth, then murder her himself? Sure. But IMO he wasn't being honest, because he wasn't telling Michael everything that happened. Maybe it is bred into his DNA to be a liar, but if that's the case then Franco's equally destructive act in finally pulling the Band Aid off should also get a resounding "Eh." Because that's just who Franco is.

• Love 2

Yea really. Plus, Sonny still pulled out the, "He was choking a woman, Michael. A WOMAN! You know how much I care about women!" shit, so he did try to sugar-coat it/make himself look like some kind of hero.

Sainted Sonny he wanted a chance to do the job himself. This show has turned into a bad joke. We know Sonny will not lose. he will get away with it, that's why I can't bring myself to watch this ,No hope that this will go anywhere. I just come here and read. Plus Sonny gets points for the truth, what does he get for cold blooded murder ?
  • Love 1
I would do it. MB seems like a nice guy. As long as someone else takes Will deVry.

Agree about MB. The people in the cast whom I like, in turn, like him.  He seems to have a dry sense of humor.

As to deVry, I'd take anyone on the show over him.  I'd even take Kristen Alderson over him, even with the prospect of her engaging in PDA with Chad.  Though someone will have to confiscate all the college and trade school applications I'd want to give her.

I think they should show the damn thing in the daytime, since that's the audience who's interested.

They used to air the daytime emmys during the day back in the late 80s and early 90s, before they turned it into that big event at Radio City Music Hall.  I liked those ceremonies the best.  They were classy luncheons, with everyone at small tables. 

Then again, I hated the headache-inducing Radio City Music Hall ceremonies, with all the shouting.

Nevertheless, I don't think any of the networks want the responsibility of hosting the show.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 3

I'm not looking forward to the emotional blackmail his "parents" are going to try on Michael in order for him to not allow the recording of the confession to be admissible in court. Probably just in time for St. Jasus to regain his memories and Borg mind wipe Michael. I sincerely hope the writers allow Michael to be mad for more than 3 days and bond with Monica and the rest of the Q's. I especially want Monica to have that peace that AJ was innocent. 

• Love 8

Is there something distasteful about Will deVry that I don't know?  Because I would love to introduce him.  To my pants.  Or is it just a matter of personal taste?  

I'll take it to the backstage thread.

• Love 1
Is there something distasteful about Will deVry that I don't know?  Because I would love to introduce him.  To my pants.  Or is it just a matter of personal taste?

I'll take it backstage as well -- but I don't want to harsh on anyone's crush!

• Love 1

Is there something distasteful about Will deVry that I don't know?  Because I would love to introduce him.  To my pants.  Or is it just a matter of personal taste?  

I'm right there with ya!

ETA: This is the first time in my life I'm afraid to go backstage ;)

Edited by tveyeonyou
  • Love 4

How nice of Sonny to let Morgan stand in front of him. Took him long enough to get back in front of Morgan.

Michael should have shot him. Lord knows Sonny isnt going to jail.

Patrick seem self involved. Doesnt even ask what Sam/Danny were doing at the hospital just starts talking about his problems.

Liz certainly couldnt get Jake away from Sam/Danny fast enough. 

• Love 8

lol at Sonny making room for Morgan to stand in front of him and shield him from Michael's gun.

Myboo needs to move back to Brooklyn and get away from his crazy ass family. And take his ma with him, of course.

• Love 7

I thought Dante played that the exact right way - no lame defense of Sonny or trying to excuse his actions, just appealing to Michael to act like a Quartermaine and not like a Corinthos.

Ugh to Larry being involved with Jerry.

• Love 8

I'm right there with ya!

ETA: This is the first time in my life I'm afraid to go backstage ;)

no no there's nothing he did that's bad. Just a matter of personal taste.

Edited by ulkis

I laughed a lot at Monica beating Larry Ashton with the pillow. "You look smashing!"  "I'll smash YOU!!" LOL. You tell him, Monica.

Tracy - "Booze bag" actually refers to more than one of your husbands. That lack of awareness is sad. BUT I do enjoy seeing Monica, Tracy and Ned mixing it up.

Sonny's lip quivering, eyes tearing up at Michael's desire to shoot him = the first time Sonny's looked scared that he's not in control/it's all over. So utterly predictable that Dante and Morgan walk in as Michael is about to pull the trigger. I did like Michael calling Sonny a 'piece of garbage' though. Stupid Morgan - your dad is so not worth it. Yay Dante, and good use of the Michael and Dante relationship. Good work by DZ and CD. I'm sure you're all happy to see that last shot of Dante arresting a teary-eyed, broken-looking Sonny. 

Elizabeth mentions that Danny was "exploring the ICU" like that was sweet/cute. Not so much, nurse Liz (guess she just has a soft spot for Jason's kid, blech). Yeah, and grabbing 'Jake' by the leg isn't appropriate either. Great parenting there, Sam. I have to gag at Ron's 'Danny being drawn to his daddy' crap. KeMo must be rolling her eyes re: the 'drawn' line and the direction to get a little teary. Annndddd.. we get it, show. Liz and "Jake" are into each other. 

Julian, being an utter ass is not attractive. Also, Ned is looking good.

The Nina is much more tolerable when she's quietly crazy and not repeating everything.  

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 5