Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Boyle's Hunch

• Start Topic

Of course Diaz was the only one in the precinct not afraid of the spider. And apparently she's still seeing whatshisface, er, Marcus. I did, however, love her plot with Hitchcock & Doyle. Do NOT get between Gina and her ice cream. And Scully & Hitchcock will love doing so.

"Don't. Move."

"Don't worry. I hate moving."

I forgot that Boyle in love is pretty much a giant creep. But it helped that the woman he fell in love with was ALSO a giant creep.

I also loved that Holt's PR firm actually covered the terrible PR the NYPD is under.

I thought this episode wasn't as strong as the first two, but it still made me laugh a lot. And try to figure out which Backstreet Boys are consequential. Nick Carter, maybe? (I had to look up the members, I was thinking Joey Fatone but that's N'Sync)

I kind of wish that the Holt/Amy/Gina plot had been the main storyline, because B99 hasn't addressed the public's view on cops, at least not that I recall. 

• Love 1

I really do just love the friendship between Jake & Boyle.  Most shows would make it look like Jake can barely tolerate him, but even though he finds a lot of what he does to be weird and makes fun of him, I always get the sense Jake really does care about Boyle and even respects him.  I just find it so refreshing.  So, I pretty much loved all of their stuff.  Joe Lo Truglio continues to shine in what could have been an one-dimensional role, and I like how when it Boyle takes front and center, it allows Andy Samberg to do more reaction shots and one-liners from the background, which I think he's really good at.  I do wonder if this means Mary-Lynn Rajskub is sticking around or not. Kind of interesting they're getting all these named actresses as potential love interests for Boyle.

I wish I could have enjoyed the campaign story more, but it was so obvious to me.  I know some found Jake/Amy too much the last two episodes, but for me, I'm way more tired of the "Gina is always right" story-lines, that keep happening.  So, of course, she is right again, and it ends with her gloating, while Holt and Amy just smile and take it.  Boring!  At least the plot did lead to Amy yelling "Shut up, Ray!"  Amy is such a dork.  I love her for it.

Rosa/Terry vs. Scully/Hitchcock was amusing enough, and I do like that they continue to make the latter two kind of sneaky, vindictive, and jerks like this.  It makes it easier to laugh when the rest of the squad picks on them, because it isn't unearned.  They can actually be big jackasses a lot of times.

I totally knew where the cold opening gag was going, but I still cracked up.  Everyone's reaction to the spider was spot-on for the character.  It's just too bad Holt is still elsewhere, because I can only imagine what his reaction would be.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8

I just love Jake and Boyle and their friendship. Its great to see the "cool" guy and the "loser" guy genuinely be BFFs and love hanging out together. 

That My Hunch song better be all over the internet by tomorrow at the latest. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Finally. My beloved 99 is back. The previous 2 episodes were meh for me but tonight I laughed at everything but Gina and her voice that sounds like she's trying to talk and go poop at the same time.

I don't like obnoxious Hitchcock and Scully. Please make it a one time thing.

I agree 1000% about Jake and Boyle being so good together. I thought tonight was especially great.

• Love 4

Finally. My beloved 99 is back. The previous 2 episodes were meh for me but tonight I laughed at everything but Gina and her voice that sounds like she's trying to talk and go poop at the same time.

I don't like obnoxious Hitchcock and Scully. Please make it a one time thing.

I agree 1000% about Jake and Boyle being so good together. I thought tonight was especially great.

I couldnt agree more with you. The first 2 episodes I never really liked, I couldnt get into it. Season 2 started off that way aswell, but I knew it would pick up and it has, this episode was amazing, I laughed at everything. Gina is looking pretty good lately (new haircut), The Jake and Boyle bromance is how it should be thats what comedy is about.

And try to figure out which Backstreet Boys are consequential. Nick Carter, maybe? (I had to look up the members, I was thinking Joey Fatone but that's N'Sync)

I too am trying to figure it out! Thinking back to the BSB days, my faves were Brian and Kevin, who clearly did the heavy lifting as far as singing talent. But I am positive that Gina thinks Nick and AJ are the best Backstreet Boys.

This episode was awesome. Love Jake and Boyle solving crimes together. Question: does anyone in the 99 have regular partners? Besides Scully and Hitchcock, I have seen everyone else work in varying combos. Sometimes Jake and Amy are partners, sometimes Jake and Boyle. Rosa is more of a lone wolf but we've seen her work with Terry and Amy.

Ok seriously, show, never use a disgusting, demonic hellspawn creature like that again. Squeamish arachnophobes do not want to see it. Terry, Amy and Charles's reactions to it were absolutely correct and reasonable. Now I'm all itchy.

Octopus balls sound pretty gross as well. But of course Charles would love them. I like Jake as a wingman for Charles. He's able to roll with the weirdness and be affirming and encouraging. Their friendship is so well realised, because Jake is as invested in Charles as Charles is in Jake.

"Guard got nauseous so we had to stop."

"Hmm, that's weird. D'you think it could be because you're the two most disgusting people in the whole universe?"

"Could be."

Love the jokes about art, and the nonsense modern interpretations of it. Knights breastfeeding babies, women in latex because the artist is "fascinated by the idea of a human chrysalis". Such pompous, vacuous nonsense. Kind of wish that Boyle's new love interest had been guilty though. Not keen on her showing up again.

I liked them touching on the negative public perception of police. And of course Amy would be a good choice to help them get some good PR. Smart, attractive, Cuban-American woman who is undeniably good at her job. Gina? Fuck off. So sick of her being right about everything all the damned time. As soon as she raised doubts about the campaign, I knew how it was all going to play out. Stop making everyone else dumber just so she can be right.

Terry and Rosa having a daft C-plot about dessert theft? I'm fine with that. Of course Scully and Hitchcock come across like badass villains when sugary treats are involved. And Rosa's hot when she's angry.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

I liked the first two eps better than this one, though of course there were good parts.

I love seeing Jake and Charles together. The 'My Hunch' song was great.

I hope Mary-Lynn Rajskub comes back. I like when Charles finds a kindred spirit.

I too made tired of Gina always being right. For a moment I thought she had defaced all the posters. This storyline was weak.

And I had high hopes for the Rosa/Terry/Scully/Hitchcock storyline, but it didn't get all that funny for me.

I did love the cold open with the tarantula. 

• Love 1

I was most intrigued by the subplot with Hoyle, Gina, and Amy around the NYPD's PR problem - that whole storyline felt like a not-so-gentle suggestion and/or massive middle finger, depends on your perspective, to the actual NYPD around how they've handled their very public challenges in the last year (e.g., Eric Garner, James Blake).

And the "my boyfriend Marcus gave me Moose Tracks ice cream" line from Diaz felt like an awkward way to reintroduce a guy who didn't even make it on camera or warrant mention beyond that one line. I guess that means we'll be seeing Nick Cannon again sometime soon. (I also wondered if some ice cream company paid $$$ for the repeated Moose Tracks references, but turns out that's a generic flavor not tied to any one company. The more you know!)

• Love 1

I loved seeing Mary Lynn Rajskub from 24 on the show and was disappointed it turned out at first she might be guilty. So glad she was innocent so we might see her again.

I was surprised and then appreciated the show sort of mentioned the problems the NYPD has had with the public in real life.

I really enjoyed this episode, and realized it was partially because there was no obnoxious Captain Vulture. Yay show!.

Jake and Boyle and the song. Priceless!

I would have expected Terry and Rosa to out sleuth Skully and Hitchcock with no problem. No DNA on that spoon?

Still do not like the separate PR office scenes, even when regular 99 people visit. Gina has better hair cut and dresses better, so there's that.

I would have expected Terry and Rosa to out sleuth Skully and Hitchcock with no problem. No DNA on that spoon?

We've seen before that when they want to be, Scully and Hitchcock can be careful, diligent, and yes, evil. It didn't surprise me that they would wipe any DNA off the spoon. I loved how they claimed to be lactose intolerant to prove they couldn't have taken the ice cream, then ate the pizza. Of course it turns out they really are lactose intolerant. Oh, boys, never change. I like when Rosa and Terry work together. They play off each other so well.

The cold open was great. Terry doesn't like creepy crawlies. Of course you don't Terry. I'm sure you've passed that along to your twins as well.

I agree about the Jake-Boyle relationship. How it's not a one-way street. Jake genuinely likes Boyle and considers him to be his best friend, yet can still be disgusted by Boyle's behavior and gastronomical delights. "The Hunch Song" and dance was pure gold.

It was good to see Jake with Boyle instead of just being paired with Amy. And, we got a sub plot devoted to Amy-Holt interaction. Very solid episode.

• Love 3

We've seen before that when they want to be, Scully and Hitchcock can be careful, diligent, and yes, evil. It didn't surprise me that they would wipe any DNA off the spoon.

But the lab discovered the moose tracks, so they didn't wipe the spoon ;) I did laugh hard when they took the pizza to the bathroom. EEEEEK.

• Love 4

I think the "Gina is always right" elements come a bit out of the inherent structure of the show. The humor doesn't come at the expense of the intelligence of the characters, outside Scully's and Hitchcock. They are good and competent cops who always get their man, aside from Doug Judy (who everyone knows is guilty anyway). And the half hour show and ensemble format don't allow for a lot of chasing bad leads or red herrings. Their supercop statuses are mitigated by a touch of tone deafness in civilian life, again for comedic purposes. As the only regular civilian character, Gina provides that mouthpiece. I prefer her character's take than trying to mine humor from a civilian focus group.

Only mention of Jake and Amy's relationship that I can recall was a brief comment about not bringing the tarantula home in the cold open. I knew Schur and Goor could responsibly work it into the larger framework of the show.

• Love 2

As much as I respect that they're trying to balance the Jake/Amy stuff and not let it take over the show, the degree to which their story lines were separated in this one felt a bit unnatural to me. Jake had nothing to say about Amy's PR posters or the vandalism? I kept waiting for a reference or joke that never came, so it felt a little off to me. Still liked the episode overall, but I think they haven't hit on the right balance there yet.

Jake and Charles were great, as always. The "Hunch" song was precious, in a good way.

But there was way too much Scully and Hitchcock, who I've never found to be anything but annoying and unfunny. Their repeated presence this week detracted from my overall enjoyment of the show.

Amy looks really good in uniform.

There was DNA on the spoon because the lab guy stated that whoever used the spoon "their body ain't right."

Would a cop's DNA profile be in the database to compare to?

I totally knew where the cold opening gag was going, but I still cracked up.  Everyone's reaction to the spider was spot-on for the character.  It's just too bad Holt is still elsewhere, because I can only imagine what his reaction would be.

He would have calmly and efficiently gotten the spider back in the container before it made it onto Terry's shoulder.

• Love 2

"Holy Smokes" is the best fake art piece. Kind of still want it to happen.

I agree with everyone saying that this one clicked for me in a way the previous two didn't, despite having funny stuff in them.

• Love 1

Ok seriously, show, never use a disgusting, demonic hellspawn creature like that again. Squeamish arachnophobes do not want to see it. Terry, Amy and Charles's reactions to it were absolutely correct and reasonable. Now I'm all itchy.

But, Danny, there's a picture of Spiderman under your screen name! : )

I love Jake and Boyle's friendship. Octopus balls!

Jake had nothing to say about Amy's PR posters or the vandalism?

I'm glad they didn't show that -- it wouldn't have flowed. 

"Tell her it was my theory! Wait, give me a second. I want to look smart when you say it." Then, slightly raised eyebrow, head tilted, chin resting on fingers!!!

"He's so smart!"  They really are made for each other!  I too hope Mary Jo will be back.

• Love 2

Loved the opening with the spider. Poor Terry, trapped in an elevator with a giant spider on his head. Shudder. I like when Rosa and Terry work together. They make a great team. And people who steal other people's food out of the work fridge is like a weird berserker button for me and I kinda wanted Rosa to lose it and hit one of them. The smug look on their faces when they knew they had eaten her ice cream would be enough for me to find her not guilty if she had gone through with her poison them and tell their widows they were thieves plan.

I'm glad Boyle's love interest was actually innocent. As weird as he is, it's a harmless weird, and he deserves to be happy. And I love how supportive Jake is of Boyle.

I was surprised and then appreciated the show sort of mentioned the problems the NYPD has had with the public in real life.

I liked this too. It was way better than in the 1st season when Jake spent an entire episode bitching about how unfair it was that he had to hold the rich white kid to the same standard as everyone else.

• Love 2

I liked this too. It was way better than in the 1st season when Jake spent an entire episode bitching about how unfair it was that he had to hold the rich white kid to the same standard as everyone else.

Was it not more that he was bitching about not being allowed to hold the rich white kid to the same standard as everyone else. That he wanted to, but felt pressured by the commissioner to drop it and was therefore worried about his career. Holt just encouraged him to follow his conscience and arrest the kid.

I had no problems with that, because it's no secret that sometimes people get away with things because they have connections to influential people. Particularly kids with rich and/or important parents, or kids set apart from others due to their sporting prowess.

• Love 8

Yeah, we're back to the B99 we all know and love, even if Holt and Gina are still separated.

Interesting they addressed Real Life NYPD. Holt answering each email personally should not end well, but it is Holt.

"There are no winners." Rosa did nail that, but I still enjoyed the battle of wits.

NutmegsMom guessed it was the assistant for the same motive. Yay for Charles/Jake bromance. Please moar Mary Lynn.

It took the length of the title sequence to regain composure after the cold opening. Fantastic.

And no Vulture. The 99 rolls on.

I was scolding Jake for his treatment of Boyle after the cold open. "Tarantulina Jolie" was an awesome name. But he more than made up for it. With everyone else at losing my mind over the 'my hunch' song.

Also with everyone else at hating that Gina is right yet again. While I do really like that Holt put his own email address on the posters as a show of good faith and willingness to listen, I was hoping he'd have set up a new email account that it was now Gina's job to monitor. Although the last thing the NYPD needs is their complaints department sending out the kind of response emails Gina would write.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 2
On 10/12/2015 at 10:02 AM, Danny Franks said:

Yes, let's never speak of this again, show. ::full-body shudder::