Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

DC bachelorette lives in a rough neighborhood but since she's on the mayor's staff, she might get some police protection.  I think that she might have gotten a break on the price due to DC's first time homebuyers program, because that was quite a reduction in price.  I think it went down from something like $249k to $189k?

• Love 1

It's cute to see some home buyer's delight at things that others turn their noses up at (up at?). And vice-versa. She was delighted by a simple, single builder-grade sink in a master, then hated the wood floors of a recent remodel. I couldn't understand why. Were the planks too wide? Too dark? Not shiny?

Boy, hated those awnings. It looked as though the lower level awning was shared with the neighbor. If so, she would have to leave her neighbor's awning intact (involving some repair/reconfiguration) to get rid of them for her side of the home. That place would not have been my choice. 

Loved how she kept reminding Mom that this was her place, not Mom's.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

DC bachelorette lives in a rough neighborhood but since she's on the mayor's staff, she might get some police protection.  I think that she might have gotten a break on the price due to DC's first time homebuyers program, because that was quite a reduction in price.  I think it went down from something like $249k to $189k?

Not sure about the DC first time homebuyer's program and not sure that would affect the stated purchase price of the house even if that was involved. But the house she purchased was an estate sale, and it's not at all uncommon for estate sales to for go well under asking.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2016 at 2:40 AM, JasmineFlower said:

I get highlighting Charlotte briefly, and that's fine to start, but don't look at architecture and home exteriors in in-city Uptown then go to out-of-state suburbia for the home search and act like this is somehow not a big switcheroo. The homes they saw were in order located in a SC suburb, a NC suburb, and a SC suburb.

They did the same thing in Louisville earlier this season.  They took establishing shots around the city and bought the family a pizza in town, then skedaddled to the cookie-cutter high priced suburbs.

8 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Not sure about the DC first time homebuyer's program and not sure that would affect the stated purchase price of the house even if that was involved. But the house she purchased was an estate sale, and it's not at all uncommon for estate sales to for go well under asking.

Ok, I didn't remember hearing anything about an estate sale on the episode.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:08 AM, mojito said:

Boy, hated those awnings. It looked as though the lower level awning was shared with the neighbor. If so, she would have to leave her neighbor's awning intact (involving some repair/reconfiguration) to get rid of them for her side of the home. That place would not have been my choice. 

I didn't like the awnings either.  They weren't in very good condition, so maybe the neighbor would agree to remove them.

It's great that she could see past all the issues in that house.  Is this the first time we've seen one of those step-in bathtubs?  Maybe this will be a reno episode -- I'd love to see how it turns out. 

This buyer was a treat, and I liked her mom too.

• Love 4

I just watched a rerun of the couple in Chicago (I think) with the 3 dogs and a pig named Penelope and the wife was pregnant. They were having a BABY but were more concerned about their pig! Lord help those clueless people. Plus when they were standing side by side in one scene, I wasn't sure which one was pregnant. She was just adorable but him--not so much. Or maybe he was the only one who would tolerate having a PIG living in their house.  My son is a veterinarian and you should hear him talk about people who own pigs. He will not accept them as patients at all. Gross.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2016 at 5:24 PM, topanga said:

What's next? House Hunting Pets? Where people take their dogs or cats (or turtles) on every house hunt? I don't know if the current home owners would like that, but at least the HH would be able to find out if their dog likes to crap in that backyard. 

It is very important for my turtle to have it's own bedroom with an adjoining "spa like" bathroom.  Also, my turtle will refuse to live in a home that does not have granite counter tops, hardwood floors, and stainless steel appliances.

My dog will also only drink out of the toilet if the bathroom has been fully renovated and updated.

• Love 11
On 10/26/2016 at 4:31 AM, laredhead said:

I recorded it and watched it very late, but I kept falling asleep.  Why didn't they choose the house with the pool?  Wasn't it cheaper?  Of course, we will never know the real reason and it might not have been in a desired school district or something like that, but it seemed to have everything they wanted including a finished basement, except for a large kitchen.  The scene with him sitting in that unfinished basement with only a TV, a chair and a rug looked odd.  At least the walls have insulation so it's probably not cold and damp there.  She had a continual smile during the entire episode, and he had an allergy to work.  I don't think they ever said exactly what he did, but he must travel a lot during the week with his job which might be the reason he didn't want to buy a house that needed work.

At any rate, I agree with you, "magemaud", about buyers who want move in ready and evidently plan on the house staying that way for the entire time they live there.

I noticed there was a blindingly white vinyl fence enclosing the back yard in the final reveal scene.  I wonder if he installed it - lol.

That is me!  I loathe doing any kind of home improvement projects and I suck at it too.  It would be beyond awesome if my house (now undergoing extensive renovations) would stay in its newly renovated state with me only having to clean it.  lol  Please House Gods, let it be so!

• Love 2

Home sick today, so I've been watching the afternoon lineup of HH.  Honestly, if I hear "put our own stamp on it", "make it our own" or "give it our personality" ever again in my life it'll be too soon or the princess wife with "but I want a white kitchen", I imagine hearing her stamping her feet.  I do have to chuckle at the 20 somethings who want million dollar features for under 200,000 and then get the chicken lip when they realize it isn't going to happen.  Welcome to the real world kiddies.

• Love 5

What makes me laugh is when they want to "put their own stamp on it" and "give it personality" and "make it our own" with the same white cabinets, white subway tiles, and white everything that everyone else is using in their kitchens.

• Love 13
23 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I just watched a rerun of the couple in Chicago (I think) with the 3 dogs and a pig named Penelope and the wife was pregnant. They were having a BABY but were more concerned about their pig! Lord help those clueless people. Plus when they were standing side by side in one scene, I wasn't sure which one was pregnant. She was just adorable but him--not so much. Or maybe he was the only one who would tolerate having a PIG living in their house.  My son is a veterinarian and you should hear him talk about people who own pigs. He will not accept them as patients at all. Gross.

I just saw that one.   When it originally aired, I shut it off, but this time the remote fell down the chair and I was too lazy to retrieve it.  Wood floors.  Cloven hooves.  Neighborhood probably not zoned for livestock.  Attractive woman married to unnactractive, charmless husband.  Too stupid too breed, with a human baby on the way.  If I were a realtor and got an idiot looking for a house to accommodate a fucking pig, I would slap them, fire them, and switch to a profession where you deal with less annoying idiot people, such as a pimp.  

Ugh, that husband was loathsome.   Wait until his stupid pig hits 150 lbs, gets mean, and stomps his ass.   Hipsters with unusual pets are why we have Iguanas running the street and Pythons in the Everglades.   

• Love 8
On 10/25/2016 at 3:22 PM, ByaNose said:

It's funny because I Googled (Yes, I have no life) his first name (they didn't give a last name), realitor and Cincinnatti and couldn't find him. He looked familar to me, too. I'm not sure if he flipped on HGTV before or something but he did look familar. You'd think a guy name Nick with a beard who is a realitor would be easy to find. LOL!!!

Find the sister (Google Cincinnati veterinary cardiologist) and you can find the brother.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
trying to be less directly stalkerish
4 hours ago, izabella said:

What makes me laugh is when they want to "put their own stamp on it" and "give it personality" and "make it our own" with the same white cabinets, white subway tiles, and white everything that everyone else is using in their kitchens.

And the white sliding barn door, don't forget the white sliding barn door.  lol

• Love 2

Wouldn't you "put your stamp" on a house with paint, window treatments, artwork, or as I suspect in the case of some of these fools, their extensive precious moments collections? 

Well, I just saw the couple buying a weekend place in Savannah.  The one where the wife looks like Mr. Limpet and is obsessed with ghosts and possibly having to put out 100 bucks for a microwave.  Can't be stairs, because they have two Bulldogs, aka tragically deliberately bred to be defective creatures and apparently some sort of sheepdog.  Bulldogs are stinky and fart a lot.  They ended up with the smallest condo which should fill up with the bulldog farts quite easily. 

Then one with a twenty some thing couple with three kids buying in Orange County.  She whined and up spoke about a "Christmas card house", and having the perfect kitchen because she's a super popular food blogger.  Also, these carpetbaggers had over one million dollar budget.  With three kids.  All before thirty.   I guess the husband spent so much time at work to avoid the uptalk and whining that he made a small fortune in overtime?

• Love 7

The Minnesota episode tonight. I missed the first few minutes. Wow, four tiny children and another one on the way! A little bit Duggar like. What did the husband do for a living? Those houses were not large for a family that size.

• Love 4

The husband was a youth pastor which could explain the number of kids and limited budget. I didn't understand why the were pretending they were looking anywhere in the Twin Cities suburbs when clearly they were targeting the north St Paul area.  I was also a little upset to see a pregnant lady up on the ladder at the end.

• Love 3

Definitely got a Duggar vibe from these two. The woman looks to be in her mid to late twenties and is already on kid #5. They talk about wanting a 4 BR house, with one room for a nursery (perhaps with a revolving door?) and one room for the husband's office. Are they going to stick the other four kids in one room?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

"I don't like having a lot of books in the house, they look like clutter" lady is dead to me.

I'm behind on a few eps. Whichever ep this line is in is getting deleted unwatched.

• Love 2

The funniest part of the Minnesota Duggars was mom liking that the master bedrooms were on different floors from the kids' rooms -- "so we'll have some privacy".  Looks like they've had no problem finding privacy. 

I liked dad's bubbly enthusiasm about the quirky built-ins and the book shelves.  But that one house with the weird access to the attic -- I have a recurring nightmare about being stuck in something just like that.  Shudder.

How much money can a youth pastor make?  He talked about going "lean" on their lifestyle so they could afford the house they chose.  I suspect their lifestyle is already quite lean. 

• Love 5

I don't know what happened above. 

Anyway,  was I the only one that noticed Mrs. Duggar's curt reply in the beginning?  "I used to be a nurse."  I got the feeling she didn't realize she was going into a marriage to be a baby making machine . 

• Love 1

I choked when she said that she thought books cluttered up a room.  I had almost decided they were Duggar wannabe's before she said that, but that statement clinched it for me.  Heaven forbid that children are exposed to literature which might broaden their view of the world.  That statement has to be among the all time "winners" in the hard to believe category for HH.

I also thought she had already had the 5th child when they showed the husband in the reveal holding a baby while his other children played in the yard, but when they showed her, it was evident that she was still pregnant.  She must have gotten pregnant immediately after the 4th one was born.  Did they say that any of the 4 were twins?  I also did not get making the basement room a master suite since that bedroom was larger than the others.  Easier to bunk 3 children there, and it was handy to the laundry room and a bath.  I was so overwhelmed with thinking about having 4 (and an impending 5) children in less than 10 years that I forgot to note how many were boys and how many were girls.  That would make a difference in sharing bedrooms.

Did they buy the house with the large bedroom/bath/laundry room in the basement.  Again, I obviously was not paying enough attention to the houses and was too wrapped up in counting kids to remember what they bought.           

And I thought our neighbors were bad.  They have three kids under the age of four, but this Dugger couple will have five under the age of 6.  In this day and age, and this is my opinion only, having that many kids so close together is not thinking clearly, if just for the strain put on the woman's body.  And if you can't afford that many kids to properly take care of them, it's just not fair to the kids.  

I was surprised that they didn't have a problem having their bedroom so far from these very young kids.  Most Millennial parents seem very paranoid to have separate sleeping arrangements and want their kids' bedrooms to be on the same floor.  I agree with AuntiePam, this couple doesn't seem to have any problem finding privacy.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

How much money can a youth pastor make?  He talked about going "lean" on their lifestyle so they could afford the house they chose.  I suspect their lifestyle is already quite lean. 

Maybe they're giving away one of the kids? Hubby kept talking about budget and how small the house were, and that he expected to get much more space for their whopping budget, which was all of $200k.  I guess it never occurred to them that they can't afford to have more kids and a bigger house so maybe, just maybe, they ought to consider that before having more kids.

I was appalled at the wife's comments about the books!  Right, lady, lock up the books in dad's office so the kids get the message that books are just clutter.   I was so done with her after that.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Did they buy the house with the large bedroom/bath/laundry room in the basement.  Again, I obviously was not paying enough attention to the houses and was too wrapped up in counting kids to remember what they bought.           

They bought the split level and I think that was the house with the laundry room on the main floor, the one where she said she'd have enough space to fold clothes.

I had my four kids in the space of six years, but only because my then husband wouldn't get a vasectomy and I couldn't take birth control pills because they raised my blood pressure.  Other BC methods were tried but didn't work.  As soon as I had a job with medical insurance, I had my tubes tied. 

Wife was resentful about the books because it means he has time to read and she doesn't.  "She needs a dishwasher or else I'll have to help!"

• Love 2

The Minnesota couple did own the triplex they were living in and were planning to rent out the unit they were moving out of too, so I guess they did have some income from things other than the husband's salary. Maybe that's how they figured on stretching the budget. This couple is exactly like my next door neighbors who have four kids under 7 and plan for several more. They're super devout Mormons and the husband teaches at the local seminary and the wife is a stay at home mom. They are on a very limited budget, but they seem to make it work. My neighbors at least recognize when too much is too much though and have put the baby making on hold for a couple of years because it was too hard for her after this latest one. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:16 PM, MsProudSooner said:

Do the House Hunters get paid for appearing in an episode?

For HH, the U.S. version, the stipend remains at $500 per couple.  They must commit to 5 long shooting days - it's prob at least 45 - 50 hours to yield 22 minutes of TV.

The Cinci bro / realtor didn't bowl me over with his knowledge.  (No offense to him.)  I had the sense, as a fairly new realtor, that he'd (wisely) previewed the homes prior to touring with his sis and that was the source of his knowledge.  If those were examples of his flips, uh, he may wish to reconsider flipping.  Just my impression ...

One thing, however, rubbed me the wrong way.  I wouldn't let a sibling spend even one night in a home with a broken, wide open, first floor window.  If he's so handy, then secure it until the windows are replaced!  It's neither difficult nor time consuming!   Yes, I feel strongly about this.

I assumed one of the women in the final scene was prob his wife.  Sure enough, his wedding photos popped right up on public records and the w looked familiar.  And, yes, he has a full-time, unrelated job so RE is part-time.  No, he's never appeared on HGTV, according to the records.  Back on my soapbox (sorry) but p/t realtors - there's no way to do it justice and properly serve clients.

BTW, how many realtors do you know who'd appear on HGTV w/o disclosing their last name?  Sorry, big guy, but that'd (most likely) be an unsuccessful realtor.  OTOH, I'll give him a break and assume he became licensed to handle his flips and save a few $$$.  That's fine as long as those transactions lack any significant issues.  And, have we mentioned that flips can be challenging ???

Ok, ok, stepping off soapbox now ... lol

P.S.  I have his office info if anyone wants it.  Let me know.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I gave the Minn mom a break and assumed she's a Kindle afficionado.  The clutter with 4 kids, going on 5, could quickly get out of control.

Without reviewing the numbers, including the financing, I'd be surprised if their triplex will contribute that much to the mo budget.  Wasn't that an older home?  Maintenance?  One flake tenant might have them facing a mo deficit, instead of positive cash flow.  Hopefully, they maintain adequate reserves.  RE isn't always the panacea many make it out to be ...

They briefly showed his church.  They weren't LDS.  Mormons employ very few "pastors".  Instead, they, smartly, receive tons of free labor from members.  The "seminary" job prob involves teaching high school kids during the school day.  It's my understanding, from LDS friends, that those positions are few and far between, especially if the fam lives away from UT.  Yep, LDS families tend to be more sensible WRT add'l kids and providing for them.  From what I've seen ...

Yes, the h said something about "tripling" the kids up in their rooms.  Dishwasher?  What was he complaining about?  They have 4, going on 5, dishwashers!  Speaking of free labor, lol!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:53 AM, laredhead said:

As the episode went on and on, and the Charlotte wife kept saying she wanted to upgrade her lifestyle and house with the move, I liked her less and less, especially since they showed pictures of their California house which looked very nice.  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when she declared more than once that the solid surface counters in the bathrooms were cheap and would have to go, and that she could not tolerate "linoleum" on the floors and that would have to go, etc.  If something wasn't granite or tile (be it ceramic, porcelain, or travertine) it was cheap in her opinion.  First of all, some people can't afford those high end finishes, but they should not be considered cheap for installing what they can afford.  Secondly, maybe the owners like that type of counter or floor and someone should not look down their nose and call it cheap.  She would have a fit if she saw the counters and floors in my house which are a combination of porcelain, real wood, laminate, Formica, cultured marble, and yes, one piece of granite.  Some of it was in the house when I purchased it and some has been installed by me over the years as I could afford it, but none of it was "cheap".  I don't normally get on my soapbox about these shows, but for some reason this one got to me.

In the closing scene they did admit that they had more money for a house purchase than they said they had at the beginning of the show, so that indicates they sold their house in California for a very nice profit.  I was so over her by the end of the show I don't remember if the house they bought was perfect in her eyes.

laredhead, if we did a statistical sample for each HH buyer who claimed a "gut job" was necessary and forthcoming, I seriously doubt even 50% of them would have acted on that proclamation within say, 2 years of the close of escrow.  I have a feeling their homes would resemble yours more than the HGTV advertisers' boring, blah kitchen models.  In fact, they'd prob love your home and use it for their designer's vision board!

• Love 2

My wife and I bought our current house thirteen years ago because we liked the layout and neighborhood. We both agreed that practically the entire house had to be "gutted" immediately because the kitchen and all of the bathrooms were original from the early 80's. Thirteen years later and nothing has changed except for some paint. Just the thought of such major reno gives me hives. 

• Love 7

There's a huge difference between want and need.  As long as the appliances and plumbing and electric work, you don't need to gut a place to make it livable.  You may want to do it but it doesn't preclude moving in and starting a life.  The Instant Gratification generation doesn't seem to know the difference.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

My wife and I bought our current house thirteen years ago because we liked the layout and neighborhood. We both agreed that practically the entire house had to be "gutted" immediately because the kitchen and all of the bathrooms were original from the early 80's. Thirteen years later and nothing has changed except for some paint. Just the thought of such major reno gives me hives. 

Same here!  We hated the kitchen countertops -- white formica with gold specks and not very well installed -- and wanted to change them immediately.  Then we realized we'd have to change the backsplash and the funky paneling on the walls and the lowered ceiling.  But if we did that, we'd have to change the flooring too and then the cabinets.  And updating the kitchen would make the adjoining dining room and living room look even more out of date.  So we've also done nothing. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

The woman in the Pittsboro, NC episode totally looked like NBA player Kevin Durant in a wig! It's all I could focus on throughout the episode. 

This made me laugh out loud because she totally looked like Kevin Durant!  They seemed  like a nice couple though (I feel like I should say something nice.  Heh.)

• Love 2

While I liked the Michigan husband, I really disliked the wife.  Everything to her was boring and her insistence on a grand staircase was too much.  And I wonder if she's a clean freak because of her comments against stainless appliances looking dirty and fingerprints on the glass countertop.   And I hate to tell her, but a vast majority of firefighters are not Hunky Joe from calendar fame.  They're regular, hard working heroes who don't pose half naked.  

• Love 4

^^ NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I refuse to believe it. Funny video.

KLovestoShop, I agree with everything you said. My mom pointed out also that the couple prom pictures would be more likely taken at the girl's houses anyway- afaik, the tradition is still for the boy to pick up his date at her house. I guess they could take additional pictures at his house too, but the dramatic reveal of the prom dress coming down the stairs will not be taking place in his house. Plus, why choose a house based on an occasion that will take place years in the future, and maybe 6 times total for both children? I told mom that her insistence of the dramatic staircase was likely scripted, but it is more fun to pretend that what we're seeing is all true. In which case, they should have bought house number one - I would have bought it for that second level porch alone, but the rest of the house was nice too.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

While I liked the Michigan husband, I really disliked the wife.  Everything to her was boring and her insistence on a grand staircase was too much.  And I wonder if she's a clean freak because of her comments against stainless appliances looking dirty and fingerprints on the glass countertop.   And I hate to tell her, but a vast majority of firefighters are not Hunky Joe from calendar fame.  They're regular, hard working heroes who don't pose half naked.  

She irked the hell out of me too. And I was so excited for the episode. My grandparents had a lake house in Stevensville (and my aunt and cousin still do, the show was definitely not househunting in their neighborhood) and I wanted to see the place I spent my summers in shown well. As it was, I would hate to be neighbors with such a picky negative nancy. I know a lot of it is scripted, but could these people not take a moment and consider how they will come off on national television, spending well more than the average person can afford and then moaning because the floors are the wrong color or the Amish made cabinets aren't white, etc. But the floors in the other two houses were similar colors and didn't get any comment. "I want a house with character" I think means they want crown molding and maybe some chair rail with shadow box molding under it. Nothing else. The 20-somethings in California with their million dollar budget also wanted "character" until they saw a house with actual character.

With regards to the Minnesota husband, I thought that if they could afford that triplex (and have the rent coming in from the unit they were moving out of) their budget should have been higher--if realestate in the area was so expensive they couldn't afford to live there, wouldn't rent be equally expensive? I am hoping they were just trying to live frugally rather than over-extending themselves. My brother and sister-in-law have four kids under 5 but he makes several times the national average salary and she was getting up in age so they couldn't space them out if they wanted to have as many as they wanted. The Minnesota couple was also strange when the houses were smaller than they wanted, but the biggest room was still going to be theirs. But Duggars just piled the kids into bunkbeds and went on to make the next one so maybe that was their plan too.

I skipped the Charlston(?) ghost-afraid lady and husband because it was a re-run and I hated them on their original appearance on the show when they wanted to buy a mcmansion to prove that they had "arrived" since hubby had gotten an executive position, she required 4 bathrooms minimum because that was what rich people had, and how proud she was to be mommy to her doggies.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 2

I think the term "character" is the new buzzword for this generation of Millennials.  And, I honestly think they don't know what  it means.  If I had Amish made cabinets, I'd be thrilled beyond belief.  We live near Amish country and their craftsmanship is extraordinary.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, KLovestoShop said:

I think the term "character" is the new buzzword for this generation of Millennials.  And, I honestly think they don't know what or means.  If I had Amish made cabinets, I'd be thrilled beyond belief.  We live near Amish country and their craftsmanship is extraordinary.  

The wife was ready to diss those cabinets until the realtor pointed out that they were hand-crafted.  Then when they saw the fireplace mantel in the master bedroom, the husband asked if the mantel was also Amish, and she said " Oh yes", like she was suddenly a connoisseur of woodworking.  Puh-leeze.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I didn't like her either. She had a dismissive way about her, the way she called everything boring. She seemed to be permanently sneering.

• Love 5