Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

I had to check the Winthrop episode was new because it was so similar to another young couple near Boston who picked a similar home with the husband returning from work via kayak. Did HH decide to do a new same show?

• Love 1

Winthrop, Mass - have worked around there and do remember kayaking opportunities.  (Love all water sports!)

Bet the guy was wet from filming that scene several times, lol.

He mentioned he works in HR somewhere around the "seawall", IIRC (??)

How about Kayak.com, hq in Boston area, IIRC!  Don't know but does he work in this cool office?  Possibly with a dock?  They have workout sessions so probably issue lockers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kayak.com+boston+office+photos&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ZaJmzZ_a5YJ4NM%3A%2Ct-kUU2OOKK3pmM%2C_&usg=__1xzH7GrsgY5SQiuiZh5eODME-bE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiutanLiYbZAhUDzmMKHZ-VAhgQ9QEIPzAL#imgrc=ZaJmzZ_a5YJ4NM:

ETA:  It appears their photos include several Boston area locations.  No idea where he works in RL - just joking !!!

Edited by aguabella
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Don't know about MA laws, but in MD not wearing a life vest while kayaking can get you a ticket by DNR. Happened to an acquaintance.

Or face other, severe consequences.  IIRC, a kayaker died on the Charles about two years ago.  (BTW, I don't remember the results of the investigation / cause of death.  Kayak was near the body.)

As always, the rule is "Safety, first".

• Love 1

I thought I was watching an episode of Beach Property HH or whatever it's called, because the realtor did not go inside any of the houses with the buyers.  They toured themselves and made all of the comments.  Granted, those places were so small that 3 people would have been a crowd in at least 2 of them.  They never mentioned that the furniture was included in any of the houses, but all were furnished which is unusual, but not unheard of, in a typical HH episode.  They selected the best one for their desired lifestyle, IMO.  

• Love 5

laredhead, you thought you were watching an episode of Beachfront Bargain Hunt because that's what it actually was, according to this page on HGTV's website:

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/beachfront-bargain-hunt/episodes/finding-a-home-in-winthrop-before-the-wedding

I could tell within just a few minutes that it wasn't an actual House Hunters episode.  As you mentioned, the realtor didn't tour the house with them, and, at the end, they weren't shown actually moving into the house (the "before/after" segment).

I hope HGTV isn't going to make a habit of recycling shows like this. :/

• Love 5

Thank you, Ladyofgondolin.  My TV Guide & DVR listed it as a regular new HH episode.  I agree with you about hoping they aren't going to trick us into watcher Beachfront Bargain Hunt by rebranding it as a new HH episode.  I used to watch Beachfront BH, but got tired of it because while I like the beach, the locales got old. 

• Love 3
On 1/31/2018 at 10:03 PM, Pickles said:

Winthrop, MA episode. Would you really kayak to work? I know nothing about kayaking, but don't you need to wear a life jacket? How was the wife getting to work? The ferry?

They said Winthrop is on a peninsula so maybe she drove.  Maybe she water skied.  Maybe she swam.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ladyofgondolin said:

laredhead, you thought you were watching an episode of Beachfront Bargain Hunt because that's what it actually was, according to this page on HGTV's website:

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/beachfront-bargain-hunt/episodes/finding-a-home-in-winthrop-before-the-wedding

I could tell within just a few minutes that it wasn't an actual House Hunters episode.  As you mentioned, the realtor didn't tour the house with them, and, at the end, they weren't shown actually moving into the house (the "before/after" segment).

I hope HGTV isn't going to make a habit of recycling shows like this. :/

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Thank you, Ladyofgondolin.  My TV Guide & DVR listed it as a regular new HH episode.  I agree with you about hoping they aren't going to trick us into watcher Beachfront Bargain Hunt by rebranding it as a new HH episode.  I used to watch Beachfront BH, but got tired of it because while I like the beach, the locales got old. 

Yep, that's exactly what they're trying to do.  It was also aired as a HH episode, Season 0, Episode 1 so possibly a test run:

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/house-hunters/episodes/boston-beach-house#episode-tunein

I noticed the realtor and thought about BFBH too but some of them do work that way.  (RE theory:  not influencing the clients' first impressions.)

Ugh, no thanks!  I miss the realtor/client interaction.

Wow, always trying to cut costs and then cut costs, again!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

Is Palm Springs, Ca. the Mid Century Modern capital of the world? It seems when ever they do HH there it’s what they usually show. I don’t totally hate the design but I wouldn’t gravitate towards it either. The fact that it reminds me of the Brady Bunch has nothing to do with it. Well, maybe a little bit. LOL!!!!!!

• Love 4

Re: Palm Springs Architecture

Lifted from here:

"Inspired by the stark desert landscape and modern schools like Bauhaus and the International Style, the architects of the 1950s created in Palm Springs what is now called Desert Modernism - today it's the highest concentration of mid-century modern architecture in the world."

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mojito said:

Re: Palm Springs Architecture

Lifted from here:

"Inspired by the stark desert landscape and modern schools like Bauhaus and the International Style, the architects of the 1950s created in Palm Springs what is now called Desert Modernism - today it's the highest concentration of mid-century modern architecture in the world."

That was actually an interesting article. It was neat to learn about the “2 hour” rule. I had always had the impression that it was celebrity driven but I hadn’t thought about it in the proximity to Hollywood and the movie studios during that era. Now, it makes a little more sense. I would love to be there now. It’s 78 degrees there and in Philadelphia it’s currently 21 degrees. Go Eagles!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That was actually an interesting article. It was neat to lwarn about the “2 hour” rule. I had always gotten the impression that it was celebrity driven but I hadn’t thought about it in the proximity to Hollywood and the movie studios during that era. Now, it makes a little more sense. I would love to be there now. It’s 78 degrees there and in Philadelphia it’s currently 21 degrees. Go Eagles!!!

Philly! Philly!

• Love 2

I love Mid Century Modern homes!  I hope "Desert Flippers" will return soon with new episodes.  I think that is the only show on HGTV that I don't fast foward.  I would move to Palm Springs in a second if it wasn't SO HOT in the summer!

I thought all the homes he toured were lovely.  I really liked the last house, but the small backyard was disappointing.  Was his sister buying the home with him? I didn't think so, but she seemed to have a lot of input of what SHE wanted.  It was sweet that he was getting a little emotional talking about the importance of family.

Tonight's family moving to Columbus, OH. I didn't really like them. The realtor hit the nail on the head when she said they had some unrealistic expectations. The wife wanted a master with two large walk in closets. They wanted a a house close to town so they could walk places, a large yard, a space inside for big parties, a first floor bedroom and bath for visiting parents, etc. It was pretty obvious which house they would choose.

On a shallow note, the wife said they were foodies. Really sick of that term. At the end of the episode, she told the kids they were within walking distance to four ice cream shops. None of them actually looked like they needed a lot of ice cream. Lol. When I think of foodies, I don't really think of ice cream shops. I am probably being too snarky.

• Love 14

Columbus, Ohio. First, real estate agent - houses don't have "downfalls". They have downsides. And what the hell is up with huge closet sizes? If you have 500 pair of shoes, how often do you wear them? I had a lot more shoes when I was working to match outfits, but never more than a dozen. I just don't get it.

• Love 4

Every time I hear someone bitching about the closets being to small to hold their 236 shirts, 173 pairs of pants and 700 pairs of shoes I have the same thought - if you hadn’t wasted so much money on clothes, you could afford a house with bigger closets.  I don’t suppose that ever occurs to the HHers.

• Love 14

The couple moved to Columbus for her job but what about the husband?

I admire her for being so involved in her heritage that she had to have a closet for her Indian clothes, however, if she has so much that she needs a closet the size of a bedroom, I'm wondering how often is she wearing these clothes?  She wasn't wearing them in the episode.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, stormy said:

The couple moved to Columbus for her job but what about the husband?

I admire her for being so involved in her heritage that she had to have a closet for her Indian clothes, however, if she has so much that she needs a closet the size of a bedroom, I'm wondering how often is she wearing these clothes?  She wasn't wearing them in the episode.

The wife is a trauma surgeon at Ohio State. Her husband said he was a marketing executive.  Since being on call for trauma is pretty time consuming; I would expect that his main occupation is being home for the kids.  Being a big time surgeon at an academic center is also very financially rewarding.  I’d imagine he makes a very small fraction of what she makes and is mainly running the household.  He didn’t really need to find a job in Columbus and had the luxury of taking his time and finding exactly the right job if he does plan to work.

I found them rather annoying. Her insistence on not one, but two HUGE walk in closets because she had two separate but massive wardrobes was ridiculous. I know she said she had that in their previous home, but surely she knows that most homes, even at their price point, don’t have that because most people don’t need it.  Expecting to buy an already built home that meets your unique requirements is crazy.  His aversion to travertine as well as the two of them dissing amazing high end finishes because they weren’t to their taste was also off.putting.  Most people are never going to come close to living at the level they’ve achieved; a little humility and gratitude might be nice.

They moved to Bexley, an older wealthy suburb east of Columbus.  The ‘walkability’ was to the town center there with high end shops and restaurants.  The Victorian was in Victorian Village, which is in the city itself. Lots of gorgeous homes that have been beautifully restored; but kinda funky and definitely adjacent to city-type things, both good and bad.  They were never going to live there; not the types to put up with the downsides of city living; much more suited to the suburban bubble they chose.

Not sure where the mid-century modern was, could’ve been Upper Arlington, another high-end suburb.     However, UA has very little undeveloped space and most backyards not like the one they saw.  Could’ve also been Powell, a less developed ‘burb north of the city.  Definitely suburban.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14

I am probably being too snarky.

Uh-huh. Maybe just a tad. But between you, me, and the lamppost, I might have been thinking the exact same thing. 

I guess considering all the western clothes and shoes so many women own, it should be no surprise that if one sports other styles, her wardrobe would double.  In either case, how many times one wears a particular outfit is irrelevant, at least to her.

• Love 2

Honestly, even if I was into wretched excess (which I am not) I would be embarrassed to show that in a public forum.  There is something seriously sick about people who have so many clothes and shoes that they cannot possibly wear a single piece more than once a year.  If this woman is really a trauma surgeon, she wears scrubs at work.  So why does she need hundreds of other outfits?  

• Love 9

My cousin lives in Palm Springs and it's a really beautiful city.  His home is mid-century modern and I love it to the hilt.  Many homes in Palm Springs are built to focus on the mountains, and my cousin's house has the most amazing views.  His backyard takes your breath away with the pool, cabana, pergola and the views of the mountains.  And another thing that's nice is that they have all price points for mid-century houses, going from the low $300's up to millions.  And if you're in to the art scene, it's the place to be for all their galleries. 

Did not like the Columbus couple, either.  Did the wife not realize that if you want an old house, the closets will be very tiny as people in the early 1900's didn't have a lot of clothes.  And what's with the husband and his dislike of travertine?  Why would you buy a house with upscale finishes and then go and rip it all down?  When these people have such strong preferences for their homes, I find myself screaming at the TV that they should just buy a nice lot and build their dream home.  And how stupid were they to take the sitting area in the master bedroom and turn it into a closet?  And, seeing how awful that looked because they didn't put up any walls to enclose that closet, I don't know how they can stand seeing a pseudo closet in their bedroom.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

The wife is a trauma surgeon at Ohio State. Her husband said he was a marketing executive.  Since being on call for trauma is pretty time consuming; I would expect that his main occupation is being home for the kids.  Being a big time surgeon at an academic center is also very financially rewarding.  I’d imagine he makes a very small fraction of what she makes and is mainly running the household.  He didn’t really need to find a job in Columbus and had the luxury of taking his time and finding exactly the right job if he does plan to work.

I found them rather annoying. Her insistence on not one, but two HUGE walk in closets because she had two separate but massive wardrobes was ridiculous. I know she said she had that in their previous home, but surely she knows that most homes, even at their price point, don’t have that because most people don’t need it.  Expecting to buy an already built home that meets your unique requirements is crazy.  His aversion to travertine as well as the two of them dissing amazing high end finishes because they weren’t to their taste was also off.putting.  Most people are never going to come close to living at the level they’ve achieved; a little humility and gratitude might be nice.

They moved to Bexley, an older wealthy suburb east of Columbus.  The ‘walkability’ was to the town center there with high end shops and restaurants.  The Victorian was in Victorian Village, which is in the city itself. Lots of gorgeous homes that have been beautifully restored; but kinda funky and definitely adjacent to city-type things, both good and bad.  They were never going to live there; not the types to put up with the downsides of city living; much more suited to the suburban bubble they chose.

Not sure where the mid-century modern was, could’ve been Upper Arlington, another high-end suburb.     However, UA has very little undeveloped space and most backyards not like the one they saw.  Could’ve also been Powell, a less developed ‘burb north of the city.  Definitely suburban.

The husband actually said he was a marketing manager, which is a mid-level position considerably less demanding than either marketing executive (C-level) or trauma surgeon. He probably makes 1/10 of what she does (he probably makes good money, she makes GREAT money). My guess is that his career has taken a backseat to hers, which, great, if it works for them! I loved the third Victorian but I knew they weren't going to pick it. It was half the size of the budget-buster.

8 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

My cousin lives in Palm Springs and it's a really beautiful city.  His home is mid-century modern and I love it to the hilt.  Many homes in Palm Springs are built to focus on the mountains, and my cousin's house has the most amazing views.  His backyard takes your breath away with the pool, cabana, pergola and the views of the mountains.  And another thing that's nice is that they have all price points for mid-century houses, going from the low $300's up to millions.  And if you're in to the art scene, it's the place to be for all their galleries. 

Did not like the Columbus couple, either.  Did the wife not realize that if you want an old house, the closets will be very tiny as people in the early 1900's didn't have a lot of clothes.  And what's with the husband and his dislike of travertine?  Why would you buy a house with upscale finishes and then go and rip it all down?  When these people have such strong preferences for their homes, I find myself screaming at the TV that they should just buy a nice lot and build their dream home.  And how stupid were they to take the sitting area in the master bedroom and turn it into a closet?  And, seeing how awful that looked because they didn't put up any walls to enclose that closet, I don't know how they can stand seeing a pseudo closet in their bedroom.  

I wondered this too, particularly since their budget was ample for the area. I guess they were sick of being in their small rental and didn't want to take the time to build a place. And I had the same thought about the sitting area turned closet. When she proposed it and her husband said it would be a project, I thought they would have it custom-built, but it seemed like they just moved all her stuff in there, you know? They didn't build a closet, they just put her stuff in the bedroom.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4

I didn't see the episode, but that sounds awful.  For me, a sitting area in a bedroom is a total waste, as I do not sit in my bedroom.  So, if I needed more room to store clothes than the existing closets provided (unlikely; I manage with the original closets of my 1938 bedroom, so I can make do in most situations), and there was an area of the bedroom that would just exist there serving no purpose, turning it into a closet would be logical.  But, goodness, turn it into a closet, don't just shove clothes into that area and leave it unenclosed.  How ugly that must be.

• Love 3

Late to the party but I did want to chime in on the unlikeable couple in Columbus last night.  I kept saying to the TV:  Just how freaking much do you entertain for crying out loud.  That's all they kept saying ....that and the 2 walk in closets (which made me shake my head).

Of course I didn't doze off during this episode as much as I would have liked to.  In fact they kept me up because I was saying things in my head about them and that ugly room they put racks and boxes into to make it look like a closet.

I think I'm going crazy and need a HH break.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I think if they had eventually planned to turn that space into a closet, they would have mentioned that.  I have a feeling they're going to leave it just as it is.

Thwy did mention it when they roured it and it didnt look very permanent, he talked about it being a project.. 

On 1/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, topanga said:

But I was getting gay vibes from the husband. Or maybe he just seemed gentler than the typical male HH became se didn’t whine about needing his own wing of the house to get away from his annoying wife and kids. He actually liked being with his family. Crazy. 

This episode was filmed in my city and the husband actually works close to me. (Thousands of employees in this location, so I've never actually seen him IRL.)  You have to remember he's an engineer. They can be kind of nerdy.  

What's really weird is I have no idea where half the locations they used in filming are in Cedar Rapids.  (The out and about ones, not the houses.) I need to get out more.  

• Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 7:52 PM, laredhead said:

The wife in the Buffalo to Ft. Worth episode got on my last nerve before the first house was toured.  Good grief she was obsessed with prom pictures and Christmas trees.  She seemed a bit immature IMO.  Her comment was weird about needing a 2 story house to to teach her children to walk up and down steps.  Her husband said they could learn outside, but she said that would be difficult in Texas because Texas is flat.  If that was a producer driven comment, then they have reached a new low in making an HH look really dumb.  Her voice was also very annoying.  The house they chose was easy to spot because it was the only unfurnished one, unless the first one was staged.   It was an OK house, but nothing special. 

I just watched this one last night. From the very beginning of the episode, I was convinced that they were both actors. There was something about the way they were speaking that made me think they were reciting dialogue.

Ft. Lauderdale ep: I had to fast forward through most it because of the wife. Her voice was grating on me. She kept calling her husband's action figures "dolls" and you could tell she was saying it (over and over) just to be a b!tch. When they walked into the 2 story home and she commented how it was going to be difficult to go up and down the stairs, I wanted to punch her! She was in her 20's and seemed capable of walking so I don't understand why it would be so treacherous for her to walk up 10 steps. Lastly, she wanted a "grand" entrance. That word, as well as glam, are becoming my latest peeve! Grand entrance, glam kitchen, sexy bathroom! Just Stop!!

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

Ft. Lauderdale ep: I had to fast forward through most it because of the wife. Her voice was grating on me. She kept calling her husband's action figures "dolls" and you could tell she was saying it (over and over) just to be a b!tch. When they walked into the 2 story home and she commented how it was going to be difficult to go up and down the stairs, I wanted to punch her! She was in her 20's and seemed capable of walking so I don't understand why it would be so treacherous for her to walk up 10 steps. Lastly, she wanted a "grand" entrance. That word, as well as glam, are becoming my latest peeve! Grand entrance, glam kitchen, sexy bathroom! Just Stop!!

She was horrific. When they were doing the requisite scene where they talk about their diametrically opposed house desires, she rolled her eyes when he was listing what he wanted. They aren't even married yet. Good luck, dude.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

She kept calling her husband's action figures "dolls" and you could tell she was saying it (over and over) just to be a b!tch. When they walked into the 2 story home and she commented how it was going to be difficult to go up and down the stairs, I wanted to punch her! She was in her 20's and seemed capable of walking so I don't understand why it would be so treacherous for her to walk up 10 steps.

It really irked me how mean she was about his action figures while he was so nice about her wanting a wall-mounted ballet barre in one of the rooms. He said he wanted the barre room to be big enough so that she would be happy. And yes, for someone who insists on having a room dedicated to working out, she should have no problems with stairs.

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

And yes, for someone who insists on having a room dedicated to working out, she should have no problems with stairs.

She's the type that pays for a gym membership and then circles the parking lot for half an hour trying to find the closest parking spot.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

It really irked me how mean she was about his action figures while he was so nice about her wanting a wall-mounted ballet barre in one of the rooms. He said he wanted the barre room to be big enough so that she would be happy. And yes, for someone who insists on having a room dedicated to working out, she should have no problems with stairs.

I had the same thought - she's young, not infirm, and claims to be a fitness enthusiast. Stairs shouldn't bother her that much!

• Love 4

The wife in the St. Louis couple reminded me of Kaitlin Olson. Their son was cute and rambunctious, you could tell. 1200 square feet seems small for a family of three to me. The husband's third-person talking got on my nerves.

27 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Love the ones who want a home with character, then bitch about the kitchens & bathrooms being outdated.  Nothing looks worse than a character home that has a totally modern interior.

I can't stand when all the charm is renovated out of a house!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

He was really sweet and patient. She was a total bitch. Run, Batman, run!!

Did anyone else notice how she'd stop and 'pose' every time she was ready to speak? She was really rocking it, being on TV and all. The real estate agent looked humiliated by her behavior. He was her father, I think. 

• Love 4

"This dining space doesn't feel very separated." Because it isn't! They just put a table in the corner of the living room! And they kept talking about how small the space was in the third house and I was thinking, it's only 1100 square feet, of course the space is small. It's a small house.

The house they chose was nice but I was craving color. All those white walls were bugging me.

• Love 6
On 2/6/2018 at 5:58 PM, chocolatine said:

I felt so bad for her man. He was so nice. When I heard action figures, I thought of my dear friends.  The husband has his L.A. Raiders stuff all over the family room with some Star Wars action figures thrown in the mix. His wife, my friend, says it is no big deal to her. He enjoys his stuff, it makes her happy, and she has the rest of the house for her taste and decor.

Back to the wife on this episode. For someone who wanted a room to work out, she looked like she hasn't worked out in a while. Maybe that was the issue. She hasn't worked out, but felt if she had a work-out room she would have the desire to work out. Whatever, lady.

• Love 1

San Francisco Couple with 2 small kids

You can expect to pay a couple hundred thousand dollars over asking. Yikes. 

Maybe it was my mood. But it seemed that they spent half the episode declaring what the house wasn't. "It's not my _____", "It doesn't have my _____". Why does HH think people need to state the obvious? (Standing before a two-story home, declaring it's not a ranch. Or in this case, her claiming that it was her Victorian while he claimed it wasn't his style.) And her white walls. And comments about "concave" walls. She should probably look up the word and just stick to saying "slanted". 

Yeah, it was probably my mood. 

• Love 6