Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Let It Burn

• Start Topic

This is up a bit over a week early, but since the synopsis is out, I figured I'd post this now so I won't forget to do it when the time comes.

Lt. Casey, who is at the center of an undercover operation to bring down a trafficking ring run out of Nesbitt's strip club, finds himself in very dangerous territory. Meanwhile, as a result of the high turnover rate on squad, Severide gets a rude awakening when Capt. Dallas Patterson is brought in, much to Boden's dismay. Dawson confirms her suspicions that her life is about to change forever and Jimmy Borrelli, the new candidate, makes an unusual first impression. Elsewhere, citizens of Chicago band together to take charge of their neighborhood in protest of a drug den in their area, resulting in ramifications that severely hinder members of Firehouse 51, who are called to the scene to battle a blazing fire.

Such a good episode. I'm glad they wrapped up the Katia/strip club/PD storyline more or less with Casey. I didn't want that dragging out. Super happy to see him and Dawson back together as well. At least they're happy.

Ilike the Severide/Cruz friendship that's coming together as well. I'm not sure if we're supposed to like Severide's replacement but I do. I also think Severide is overreacting by wanting to leave 51 completely. Have we not already seen him do this before?

Chilli and Brett are quite likeable together. I know some posters are finding it difficult to warm to Chilli but she's cool. Although I do think her, Chilli and Halsted's brother arriving at the hospital together, dressed for a night out and probably smelling of booze was kind of random. Could he not get in trouble for that?

Always love an Antonio and Gabby scene. I wonder when we'll ever meet their parents.

Stephen R McQueen - best entrance into Fire that I've seen. I feel I never got to see him do much comedy on Vampire Diaries so I was happily surprised by how funny his opening scene was. Also, he's gorgeous, definetly my favourite addition to 51.

Why were those residents blocking the fire trucks from getting to the burning house? Did they want the guy to die? I feel I missed that part..

Great season opener and I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Also, great seeing characters from all three shows in the episode. I felt it really fit the episode as opposed to how it's sometimes just shoved in for appearances sake.

Edited by Chas411

it's aired in Canada but I'll remove the spoiler tags in the morning when the episode has officially aired.

Why were those residents blocking the fire trucks from getting to the burning house? Did they want the guy to die? I feel I missed that part..

I also watched it, even though I skipped most of last season because I was just frustrated, and because tonight's my busiest TV night (I watch about six different shows that air on Tuesdays...oops).

I think the residents wanted to burn down the house, but they had no clue someone was inside. Which is really stupid, because what makes them think it was empty? But the looks on their faces when they saw the guy come out of the house made it clear that they had no intent to harm. Except they didn't realize that fire spreads and could burn down all of their homes in the process of one. So...stupid, stupid fire rescue right here because of it. 

Overall, not a horrible episode. I was going to get frustrated if Gabby spent another episode not telling anyone about her pregnancy. Then I realized this is a show that loves plowing through storylines like that, so why wouldn't she have told Casey at the end of the episode? But still, she got me worried there. Also, I don't hate the two new guys. Severide's replacement is nice enough. He's just trying to do his job. New candidate is good looking enough. I know Steven from Vampire Diaries, so I know he has some capabilities of acting, and I thought he got more here than he did on his other show the last year or two he was on it. Both characters seem alright so far. Otherwise, that's about all I can say about the episode. Though I'm not sure about the two paramedics. I only witnessed a couple of episodes here and there with Brett, and Chilli (really?) is someone I never saw before. 

Edited by Lady Calypso

The neighborhood residents wanted the house to burn because it was being used for drug activity. Mouch saw someone from the ladder but it was too late to save whoever it was inside the drug house. Then the neighboring house became collateral damage when the roof blew.

Edited by preeya

I want PeterMills back!  I don't understand why the show let him go :(

I couldn't believe the people who moved next door to Molly's.  You move next to a bar in downtown Chicago and then have the audacity to complain about the noise?  WTF?!

I hope that Steven McQueen's acting has improved since TVD.  He wasn't terrible on that show, but he always came off a bit wooden.  I'm pretty sure that he and Chilli will be an item in like two episodes cause this show moves FAST.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe the people who moved next door to Molly's.  You move next to a bar in downtown Chicago and then have the audacity to complain about the noise?  WTF?!

I hope that Steven McQueen's acting has improved since TVD.  He wasn't terrible on that show, but he always came off a bit wooden.  I'm pretty sure that he and Chilli will be an item in like two episodes cause this show moves FAST.

You can bet you haven't seen the last of those two. This was the setup for recurring complaints and maybe more against Molly's

Regarding the couple complaining.. I'm already anticipating a crossover episode of the three shows uniting to save Molly. In the real world the couple would be laughed out of bar for moving next to a late bar and expecting quietness. In Fire you can guarantee Molly gets shut down for one or two episodes.

• Love 4

People actually do that. Good old gentrifiers in DC, moving into an entertainment district, then complain about the noise.  Worst types of people...

• Love 3

Same old Chicago Fire. I still miss Shay and PeterMills. Nothing good going on with anyone, and the two paramedics are just so bland (the blond notShay one whose name I'm blanking on) and obnoxious (Chilli).

I spent the majority of the episode wondering what was up with Jesse Spencer's hair. (Not only was it a lot longer than we've ever seen on Casey, but it also looked strangely brown. Was he filming something else?)

• Love 1

I really didn't understand the opening scene in which the cops just let Gabby wander into a crime scene and then, after everything that has happened to Casey (and we don't know details other than it is clearly bad), she gets the money shot.  I didn't need a 30 second close-up of her being sad, I wanted to follow Casey out the door and see his reaction.  Since, you know, the bad thing happened to him.

I thought Kelly was a bad leader at the end of the first half of the season when he decided Casey was to blame for all the tension between truck and squad, but I don't understand how he just got blamed for Vargas' and Mills' (first) departure.  They didn't leave because of Kelly; they were injured on the job and no one at the time blamed Kelly for that.  I don't know what I think about the new lieutenant; why would he want Kelly to stay when he knows it will make the transition harder for the other men.  And then setting down an ultimatum to Kelly in front of the others?  That is just begging Kelly to leave, in which case his platitude about wanting Kelly on his team rings pretty hollow.

The couple showing up at Molly's was ridiculous.  That is a story line I hope resolves itself quickly, which means that is the one that will drag through the rest of the season.

• Love 1

I thought Kelly was a bad leader at the end of the first half of the season when he decided Casey was to blame for all the tension between truck and squad, but I don't understand how he just got blamed for Vargas' and Mills' (first) departure.  They didn't leave because of Kelly; they were injured on the job and no one at the time blamed Kelly for that.  I don't know what I think about the new lieutenant; why would he want Kelly to stay when he knows it will make the transition harder for the other men.  And then setting down an ultimatum to Kelly in front of the others?  That is just begging Kelly to leave, in which case his platitude about wanting Kelly on his team rings pretty hollow.

The whole Severide plot really bugged me. Of the guys I remember leaving squad one guy went crazy and became an arsonist, one guy was injured inhaling toxic fumes, and Peter Mills was injured, recovered and then had family obligations. How are any of those signs of bad management? Ok yes the guy who he vouched for and sucked was on him, but the rest is all on bad writing. Plus why did they have to make the new officer an asshole with the mandatory ordering people to show up after hours at your boat and drink? And as usual Union Boss Mouch was no where to be seen when all of this was going down.

• Love 4

I loved it, though missed my favourite, Peter Mills. I actually really love the paramedics. I really feel for Severide, that's a hard knock to take. Really looking forward to the season. I missed this show more than I realized.

I don't trust Patterson because he played a bad dude on Scandal, and that's all I can see.

I spent the majority of the episode wondering what was up with Jesse Spencer's hair. (Not only was it a lot longer than we've ever seen on Casey, but it also looked strangely brown. Was he filming something else?)

I kept staring at the hair too. I'm not sure what color it was supposed to be, but it was just a weird shade of blond? brown? I don't know. Still not the worse I've seen on him, he had some truly horrific hair on House, but very un Casey like. 

• Love 1

Portland does have some pretty rowdy bars especially in hipster neighborhoods. Actually Molly's seems to be a fairly sedate bar but then there is no pleasing some people.

I love Chili. I think that she has a unique look a lot  different than the cookie-cutter actresses that TPTB seem to be using so much.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 2

That couple is meant to represent the hipster douchbags that move into working class neighborhoods and bust balls to the point that you want to set them on fire.

People are nuts. I have a friend who had over five hundred noise complaints about his bar/restaurant that had live music. These hipster douches lived right over the bar and called the cops every night. I advised him to get a couple of his bartenders to rent the apartment over the bar. Problem solved.

• Love 4

That stereotype made me eyeroll. Oh, gee, here comes the hipster douchbags who live on peace, love and granola, and don't understand what real hard work is. Give me a damn break. One doesn't have to be from Portland to hate noise, and it's okay to hate too much noise, especially at 2am. What's stupid is moving next door to a bar if that's how you feel. Move to a quieter neighborhood or move to the 'burbs and take the train into work, genius.

That stereotype made me eyeroll. Oh, gee, here comes the hipster douchbags who live on peace, love and granola, and don't understand what real hard work is. Give me a damn break. One doesn't have to be from Portland to hate noise, and it's okay to hate too much noise, especially at 2am. What's stupid is moving next door to a bar if that's how you feel. Move to a quieter neighborhood or move to the 'burbs and take the train into work, genius.

Again, this happens in real ass life. They don't go to the bartenders to complain, they go to city hall meetings, but this happens. Frequently. The only super stereotype was that they were from Oregon. Which is still better than them being from Williamsburg.

• Love 2

That couple is meant to represent the hipster douchbags that move into working class neighborhoods and bust balls to the point that you want to set them on fire.

People are nuts. I have a friend who had over five hundred noise complaints about his bar/restaurant that had live music. These hipster douches lived right over the bar and called the cops every night. I advised him to get a couple of his bartenders to rent the apartment over the bar. Problem solved.

Does Mouch own a share of Molly's after the whole food truck thing. If so good luck calling the cops when the local desk Sargeant is dating one of the owners.
  • Love 1

Again, this happens in real ass life. They don't go to the bartenders to complain, they go to city hall meetings, but this happens.

Of course. But it still felt like a sledgehammer hitting me over the head. Especially with the eyeroll and the scoff, "Portland." Unnecessary to me to make them from there. But I suppose that's what it's going to feel like no matter where you make them from.

Oh thank you, no dragging of Dawson pregnancy and immediate sinking of any possible you-came-back-only-for-the-baby drama! I've always thought that Casey and Dawson worked better together than apart, and as friends-turned-lovers, so I'm glad for the option the writers took.

I don't like Severide's replacement. I don't know why, but I think it's just the beginning and he's aiming for Boden's place. I don't like how familiar he acts with MyChief and he's oozing the smarmy imo. And if Severide was such a bad leader, his men would hate him and not wait for him to get a pizza slice. Awww. Cruz was especially cute.

I like Severide's future girlfriend, though. I don't think I ever liked any of his love interests aside from Lindsay, so I'm looking forward to enjoy a Severide romance, for once.

Boden ruled, as always. I love him, I missed him so much during the hiatus. The new candidate is a cutie, and his brothers are assholes and I'm already looking forward to the episode where he will stand against them after they screw up badly and 51 will unite to kick their butt.

I'm digging the Chili/Brett friendship.

I've always thought that Casey and Dawson worked better together than apart, and as friends-turned-lovers, so I'm glad for the option the writers took.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping they show them being a good couple and making it work.  I don't ship them, but I'm also tired of their relationship in peril stories.  Let's see them rebuild their relationship.  Show them each taking steps to try and communicate better and trust each other more. 

Molly's neighbors are ridiculous.  My prediction is they will need either fire or paramedic care in an emergency, and thus the Molly's crew will win them over.  But the neighbors will no doubt be causing trouble.

I have no idea where they're going with Severide.  And I think I like Chilli now. 

• Love 1

I like Severide's future girlfriend, though. I don't think I ever liked any of his love interests aside from Lindsay, so I'm looking forward to enjoy a Severide romance, for once.

Lucky dog. First Rachel Nichols got to make out with Sark, and now she gets Severide. 

• Love 1

I really didn't understand the opening scene in which the cops just let Gabby wander into a crime scene and then, after everything that has happened to Casey (and we don't know details other than it is clearly bad), she gets the money shot.  I didn't need a 30 second close-up of her being sad, I wanted to follow Casey out the door and see his reaction.  Since, you know, the bad thing happened to him.

The couple showing up at Molly's was ridiculous.  That is a story line I hope resolves itself quickly, which means that is the one that will drag through the rest of the season.

Show should be renamed "Gabby Dawson - Chicago Fire."

IMHO she gets much too much screen time and she's not that important to the show.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Show should be renamed "Gabby Dawson - Chicago Fire."

IMHO she gets much too much screen time and she's not that important to the show.

That wouldn't fit in with the "trilogy" naming convention. They could just call it "Chicago Gabby".

• Love 3

Again, this happens in real ass life. They don't go to the bartenders to complain, they go to city hall meetings, but this happens. Frequently. The only super stereotype was that they were from Oregon. Which is still better than them being from Williamsburg.

Actually I would have laughed if they said they were from Willismsburg as in Brooklyn, not Virginia.  Williamsburg does have its share of hipster douches.  

Does anyone know how it works in real life if a female firefighter gets pregnant? I want to know how realistic this storyline is going to be.

A light duty assignment sometime in the first trimester, probably.

Don't know about Williamsburg, but here in the west, the stereotype would certainly be Portland (or Seattle or California.)

Am I the only one who noticed that the woman Severide met at the seminar looks like...............Shay??

and then have the audacity to complain about the noise? 

I'm just glad Molly's is making some money of someone other than Station 51.

So, does the FBI normally just waltz into a local jail, spring the bad guy, and let him walk around?  Wouldn't that sort of tie the can around his neck in underworld circles?

Looks like there's a sale on anvils going on this season.  Casey/Gabby, Casey/bad guy, Severide/new girlfriend...

• Love 1

The Casey/strip club fall out was confusing and rushed. But that is fine.

I don't like Severide's "replacement", either. He ouzzes the swarm. It probably does not help that he has had recent roles in both ABC's Scandal and Mistresses.

i do not understand Gabby requesting a new jacket, when clearly her fire fighting duties are over for the next year, at least.

• Love 1
i do not understand Gabby requesting a new jacket, when clearly her fire fighting duties are over for the next year, at least.

Great catch.  I think the jacket was just a Chekhov's gun but it does not make sense in light of the greater story line...but maybe pregnancies in Chicago Fire are handled just like major injuries are - two episodes and you are as good as new as if nothing ever happened.

How can Casey be so sure that that baby is his?  He was certainly not chaste during their break, is he (are we) positive that Gabby was?

The Casey/strip club fall out was confusing and rushed. But that is fine.

I got confused here too.  Casey is held at gunpoint.  Commercial.  Casey off camera takes out two men while guns are pointing at him?  Commercial.  Casey has wounds are his face and hands that are look better and better with each subsequent commercial (see my comments above regarding miraculous healing.)

...Is he (are we) positive that Gabby was?...

How Dare You!  She's Gabby! (smirk)

In real life, it would be obligatory for her to get a new jacket assigned, as the burned one does not meet NFPA standards for protective equipment.  Whether she goes on light duty/maternity leave would be immaterial, as she would need the jacket on her return. 

My thoughts exactly! It's getting ridiculous at what lengths the writers go in order to include more Gabby's close-ups. How the hell did she get to the club so fast? Does she have a Casey radar or we're supposed to believe that Antonio called his sis to inform her where they've found Casey?!

Speaking of Casey, in one of his pre-season interviews Olmstead said that Matt will be haunted by what he had to do to survive the ordeal. Also, someone said that he had blood on his hands. And though the scene was rushed, my take is that Casey somehow I snatched the gun out of that thug's hands and shot him dead and then beat the crap out of Nesbitt...

I was stuned that it was never mentioned in the episode. I was expecting PD to at least ask Casey who shot that Bulgarian...This storyline had so much angsty potential b/c it was Matt's biggest fear that he could turn into his mother the murderer...of course, it was self defense but still he killed a man and it should be a heavy weight on his conscience.

What do you think?

I didn't notice the hammer. It's a good theory :)... But shots were fired inside the club. The police heard them. Dang writers, hehe ;) They could have shown us more details...but maybe they intentionally made this scene kind of ambiguous?