Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: I, Witness

OnceSane

Finally got a chance to watch. Man Tom Mison is pretty. Long hair short hair, no matter.

Wasn't impressed by Boobsy Ross but other than that, I enjoyed it. I like when they bring in Jenny to help.

Cannot look at C Thomas Howell without thinking of his playing a guy who was horrible in bed in Girlfriend guide to divorce. ( sorry- glad he was one and done).

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 1
Can I just say that the look Ichabod had when Abbie snort-scoffed at him when she saw him in the orange jumpsuit? Just a look of shame and like he was sad he'd disappointed her.

I laughed when I saw him in the orange jumpsuit, but I loved it when we saw him re-dressing in his 'old' clothes (especially the boots).

I want some "I cannot tell a lie" cherry pie!  And a Ben Franklin bobble-head!

And some spaghetti and 'musket balls'!  

• Love 3

Pandora was interesting, but I was bored otherwise.   I didn't hate it, and I don't know what I expected because I didn't really hate season 2 or even Katrina/Henry, but I found the episode mostly dull.  Sure there were a couple of fun moments (Crane in his prison orange and in the restaurant Colonial Times), but mostly I found myself watching the clock.

Yes, it definitely felt like more people actually lived in Sleepy Hollow in this episode.  Sleepy Hollow should be filled with weird and unique people and the town itself should practically be like a character.

• Love 6
I didn't hate it, and I don't know what I expected because I didn't really hate season 2 or even Katrina/Henry, but I found the episode mostly dull.

Yeah, this episode was definitely missing a certain spark. I thought the review that basically said the episode played it ultra-safe was right on--it played it too safe for its own good. The first 10-15 minutes had a lot of verve, but after that it got really conservative. I'm hoping that now that they have the "appease the fans" episode out of the way, they can move forward.

• Love 4

I was hoping that Jenny would think about hanging out a shingle as a P.I.,

I am concerned for Headless; I hope he can free himself.

Funny you should mention that.  Because I was thinking I'd rather have Abbie be a P.I. instead of in the FBI.  Jenny could be her partner-in-training too.  Cause really the FBI looked like the Keystone Kops this first episode letting two strangers wander about their crime scene especially since one was dressed in colonial style clothing which would probably set off "lunatic" alarms in any real agent.  That and wandering around during the raid as well.

Also being a P.I. (complete with female version of a Sam Spade fendora please) would allow her to investigate the "horror of the week" without moonlighting from the FBI all the time.  It would be such a natural set-up that way.  She could use her law connections and/or clash with same but she would be a free agent with two junior partners in tow.  The Witness P.I. Agency.

Glad you want to free Headless too.  If he isn't out and about by next episode I say we start an online petition.

As for people mentioning ratings etc I did NOT know the show was starting up again.  I was just flipping back and forth between the two 4 PM football games Sunday afternoon and accidently came across a promo for the show on the Fox one.  Otherwise I still would not know it was on to this day.

• Love 6

Funny you should mention that.  Because I was thinking I'd rather have Abbie be a P.I. instead of in the FBI.  Jenny could be her partner-in-training too.  Cause really the FBI looked like the Keystone Kops this first episode letting two strangers wander about their crime scene especially since one was dressed in colonial style clothing which would probably set off "lunatic" alarms in any real agent.  That and wandering around during the raid as well.

Also being a P.I. (complete with female version of a Sam Spade fendora please) would allow her to investigate the "horror of the week" without moonlighting from the FBI all the time.  It would be such a natural set-up that way.  She could use her law connections and/or clash with same but she would be a free agent with two junior partners in tow.  The Witness P.I. Agency.

Glad you want to free Headless too.  If he isn't out and about by next episode I say we start an online petition.

As for people mentioning ratings etc I did NOT know the show was starting up again.  I was just flipping back and forth between the two 4 PM football games Sunday afternoon and accidently came across a promo for the show on the Fox one.  Otherwise I still would not know it was on to this day.

Or a Resident Agent for a small Sleepy Hollow like Josh Duhamel was in Battle Creek rather than having a full FBI division around. It was bad when Jenny pulled out an assualt rifle with a SWAT team in the area about to move and then fires off a few rounds and nobody broke off to cover their team and check it out. And she didn't have anyone around to give orders not too like Captain Irving the first time she pulled that sort of move or the demon cops in on the secret on Grimm .

Maybe we will get lucky and FOX is using Thursday like CBS used Fridays with CSI NY, Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods, instead of a place to burn off episodes a place for the marginal performer who might draw a niche audience

• Love 2

One nitpick: Jenny allegedly worked as a paralegal for a week? That seems really unlikely, especially since she admitted she had no idea what a paralegal was. Most paralegals have some sort of training before being hired.

The other thing that truly gets me is all the kerfuffle about Crane's hair. Geez louise, its only hair for crying out loud.

Ha, compared to the drama that ensured with Keri Russell cut her hair, the complaints about Crane's hair are nothing!

• Love 4

Or a Resident Agent for a small Sleepy Hollow like Josh Duhamel was in Battle Creek rather than having a full FBI division around.

SNIFF - Battle Creek.  CBS broke my heart canceling that one.

That sceario would make a lot more sense, give Abbey more flexibility and to work with local LEOs.  Now I want Dean Winters to be the new sheriff.

• Love 1

Thoughts after Rewatch:

- Pandora:  I like her.  There's just something weird/off about the actor's choices that make me think her story will be an interesting one.  I'm curious about her relationship with the box itself; it does seem as though the box is its own entity.  I noticed two new things when she captured Headless.  First, she used the same fear-whammy that the Yao-guai did to paralyze its victims.  Does that mean that Pandora is not only the keeper of the box, but someone able to channel its evils?  More thoughts on that later.  Second, when the box sucked Headless in, it did not glow all over.  Only certain portions of the engravings lit up and only in red.  My working theory is that there are rules that govern the transport of various evils in an out of the box ("I gave you some Death, now give me some Fear") and that each evil has its own color and sections of the engraving.  Perhaps the engraving itself is an inventory, invocation, or other listing of the various contents, which we will see over the course of the season.

- Headless:  I don't think that Headless will be back this season, but as another poster mentioned, there's a chance that the evils in the box could be released (perhaps if they defeat her at the end of the season).  He's still in the cards (though, perhaps not in the Abraham incarnation) for future seasons (*there will be future seasons; there will be future seasons*).

- The Sisters Mills:  Golly, I just love the Abbie-Jenny dynamic.  One thing that the show has done well and done consistently is the characterization of Jenny as the more . . . not innocent, but emotionally-open and trusting of the two:  from their little-girl scenes with Abbie as protector, to their Teen Team Witness storyline with Jenny shouting the truth of things, to Jenny (who, to be fair, had more distance and prep time) immediately embracing prodigal-Ichabod.  I love that they can show her being this way without making her silly or weak or in constant need of rescue.  Abbie, on the other hand, is more emotionally distant, which is consistent with her role as Jenny's protector when they were children and her more pragmatic nature.  Abbie's nature makes her role as a Witness more challenging, since it requires her to put so much trust in another.  For me, aside from the annoyance that was Katrina, the greatest damage that the showrunners did in Season 2 (really, beginning with "Necromancer" in Season 1)  was punishing Abbie for actually trusting Ichabod--for doing what her calling as a Witness required her to do--and then trying to gaslight her (and the audience) into thinking that she was being unreasonable when she pushed back against the Crane Family Drama.  But, alas, that's an essay for another day.

This is rather long, so just one more thought.

- Boobsy Ross:  Yep, still don't like her.  However, it did occur to me that part of my distaste for her came from the try-hard, "she's such a badass!!1!!" character introduction, a complaint that was definitely made after Jenny's "Sarah Conner pull-ups" intro in Season 1.  So, theoretically, hypothetically, I could possibly grow to like Sexy Betsy despite her introduction.  BUT it is important to note that Jenny was not so blatantly sexualized, then or now.  I don't take issue with women dressing sexy; I would have loved Jenny's dressed-to-kill scenes in Season 2 if I hadn't been aware of their roots in a writer's skeeviness.  With Betsy, though, it's just such a dude-bro approach, one that actually undercuts what they are trying to tell me and sell me about her as a smart and effective operative. 

• Love 5

On the one hand, I am absolutely delighted to be rid of the horrible shenanigans of last season and all the Katrina bullshit. So I certainly am not suggesting a reboot was not in order. On the other hand, I do have a little bit of reboot-fatigue with this show at this point. Even though it was sorely needed, it still kind of rubbed me the wrong way that I feel like every year this show reboots. Which means we get less of a premiere and more of a sort of re-pilot, which means more exposition than should be necessary at this point. Don't get me wrong, better than the alternative, and yay for making changes when something reallly realllly realllllly wasn't working but...Dear Show, Figure out what show you are (hint: the one you started as) and then run with that please.

• Love 3

Well, well. Not too bad.

I thought it was okay. Not so fab that I wasn't tallying the WTF moments: "Wait, Abbie finished Quantico, is a fully accredited agent and has her own damn office in nine months? ...Why did they use some actress from Mean Girls who wandered onto the set in a fetish corset for Betsy Ross?...How is it that NOBODY in this damn town notices gigantic monsters running around?... So Headless is finally back WHOOPSIE NO HE ISN'T...The FBI sure is chill about rando civilians doing cosplay wandering around their crime scenes...Wait, did FBI Agent Abbie Mills just openly flick a knife and steal a colonial artifact in the middle of busy restaurant during the lunch rush? Is there any reason they couldn't come back at night???"

But okay. Abbie and Crane still have the chemistry, which is lucky because he sure doesn't have any with that Ross chickie boo. I didn't think it was possible to hire an actress that would make Katrina look accomplished and intriguing but they managed it. Also, what is she, sixteen? That corset crossed the line from "roll my eyes at the boobage" to "is this legal, in the strictest sense of the term?"

Pandora's doing okay. I especially loved her walking along the road in her full Giant Cape Rigging and when the police officer pulls up next to her and asks if, er, she's all right, she just smiles and says "Fine!" She doesn't even bother to change her look for a few seconds! That's the kind of Big Bad I can get behind.

ETA: speaking of things that make no sense: if the trio is so fired up about saving the Archives, have they considered selling a book or two? Ben Franklin's handwritten memoirs of Bunker Hill should fetch more then enough to purchase the buildings and grounds. 

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 3
Pandora's doing okay. I especially loved her walking along the road in her full Giant Cape Rigging and when the police officer pulls up next to her and asks if, er, she's all right, she just smiles and says "Fine!" She doesn't even bother to change her look for a few seconds! That's the kind of Big Bad I can get behind.

I watched the episode again and yeah, I'm liking Pandora. A lot. Just love that scene with the police officer, then when she was chatting up Abbie in the bar. I like that she appear and speaks "modern". Shannon Sossamyn I think will do a great job.

ETA: speaking of things that make no sense: if the trio is so fired up about saving the Archives, have they considered selling a book or two? Ben Franklin's handwritten memoirs of Bunker Hill should fetch more then enough to purchase the buildings and grounds.

I think because don't they need the books for their own research? If they sell some off, then they won't have access to the books, which always provide the clues for them. I'm going to be sad to see the Archives go (if it does). It was a beautiful set.

Other ways to get some money - Crane selling off any possessions his family owned, assuming they still exist. I kinda wish they had him find something (maybe a watch or a small dagger or something) and he owned when he was a kid or something (buried in his tomb). Something sentimental to him. I found it interesting that I didn't see any dates on his tomb, so technically there could have been another Ichabod Crane in the family.

• Love 2

On the one hand, I am absolutely delighted to be rid of the horrible shenanigans of last season and all the Katrina bullshit. So I certainly am not suggesting a reboot was not in order. On the other hand, I do have a little bit of reboot-fatigue with this show at this point. Even though it was sorely needed, it still kind of rubbed me the wrong way that I feel like every year this show reboots. Which means we get less of a premiere and more of a sort of re-pilot, which means more exposition than should be necessary at this point. Don't get me wrong, better than the alternative, and yay for making changes when something reallly realllly realllllly wasn't working but...Dear Show, Figure out what show you are (hint: the one you started as) and then run with that please.

I'm misreading all over the place today, so I read this as reboob-fatigue.  That works too given SBR.

• Love 8

I have to say: while I recognized what everyone else saw, I have never personally found Tom Mison attractive. But with that shoulder-length hair? Just call me Miss Dani.

He does look better like this, doesn't he? Still not gape and lose all my shit good but it's more intriguing to me.

Hmm, but I think it's an interesting through line of having her FBI life (which is something she's always wanted) and witness duty clashing. I guess  it's more of a taste thing but it would way too scooby-doo ish, if they were on monster quests all the time, the procedural element makes it more grounded and that was one of the things that kept me around in the first place.

I would join in on that Headless group.

Totally with you on reboot fatigue, but I actually felt like part of the problem with this episode was that it was trying too hard to be an S1 episode. Like yeah, go back to what worked in S1 by all means, but this episode felt like "What did they like in S1? OKAY LET'S THROW IT ALL IN." That's part of why it felt sparkless imo--it was trying too hard to imitate S1. This season needs to figure out how to return to what made it work in S1, but also develop its own identity.

• Love 1

I thought the review that basically said the episode played it ultra-safe was right on--it played it too safe for its own good. The first 10-15 minutes had a lot of verve, but after that it got really conservative. I'm hoping that now that they have the "appease the fans" episode out of the way, they can move forward.

Same here, but I figured this show would do that considering it's a hard reboot.

The new episode was just ok. I think they could have found a way to keep C. Thomas Howelll, even if not a regular.  He added something in just a few short scenes.  Something was missing, I just don't know what it is.  Pandora skulking around was kind of boring.  I am glad that Jenny is back, but I don't know about bringing back Corbin's son.  

I too think I will miss Irving, and I think Howell's character could have been an interesting dynamic for Abbie at work, rather than someone that she has been romantically involved with.  The first episode felt like it was trying too hard.

I rewatched the S1 Pilot and I think this show has a ways to go.

I think original recipe Sleepy Hollow (1st season, first 11-12 episodes) had a lot of complexity that really drew you in. Part of it was finding out all of the details about Crane and what his deal was. But it also had beats of emotional complexity that tugged at you too. Andy was bad, but he still had this soft center that really, really worked and made him just as creepy - and kinda scary. Pandora seems to have a similar softness. The thing is though, Andy wasn't the big bad - Moloch was. And Moloch was TERRIFYING.

I've watched the pilot several times - but when Moloch came into that cell with Andy - there was genuine terror and fear in my heart. When he snapped Andy's head back - GENUINE fear. When Abbie came in and saw the blurred image of Moloch in the mirror and then Moloch did that fast blur movement in pieces, like "pfft pfft pfft" and then the mirror cracked - I screamed out loud AGAIN.

When Jenny was doing pull-ups and Moloch appeared behind her - I SCREAMED.

THAT is the sense of terror - layered terror that the show seems to have lost with its monsters. The only way Pandora works, imo, is if she is working for a much greater and more terrifying Big Bad - one that they can show in shadow and blurred - monsters are more terrifying when they are indirect. The fast movement, "pfft" sound and mirrors cracking - bring THAT back show! If every monster of the week is coming from her and we already know, etc., where is the mystery? Where is the terrible fear of not knowing what is coming and who is doing it?

WHO gave Pandora the box? Will we see him/her?

When will we see the real Big Bad (please let there be one other than Pandora) stalking Abbie and Jenny in the shadows? Appearing there and then not?

I miss that kind of scary on this show.

Also - the "whites of their eyes" was cute - but the twistory that this show made famous is deeper than a simple anecdote.

Hopefully now that the show has done its mea culpa it can get on with it.

• Love 8

I liked the episode very much but certainly didn't love it. 

Mostly, I was just glad they were able to accomplish something of a S1 vibe. I love that Abbie is now an FBI agent--not only for her character's sake, but being FBI, we can travel outside of SH on occasion for, you know, "missions". Liking Pandora so far--a good sexy, evil big bad without being too over-the-top. SBR? Pretty forgettable, unfortunately. As others have mentioned, I very much thought of Pirates of the Caribbean with her clothing and actions.  Wondering how she'll be used in the future? 

Some good cranky Ichabod rants, some fun twistory and Abbie pouring lead into a demon! All in all pretty satisfying to me. FOX must be putting promo dollars into their other shows because this season opening was definitely under the radar.

• Love 4

I think original recipe Sleepy Hollow (1st season, first 11-12 episodes) had a lot of complexity that really drew you in. Part of it was finding out all of the details about Crane and what his deal was. But it also had beats of emotional complexity that tugged at you too. Andy was bad, but he still had this soft center that really, really worked and made him just as creepy - and kinda scary. Pandora seems to have a similar softness. The thing is though, Andy wasn't the big bad - Moloch was. And Moloch was TERRIFYING.

I've watched the pilot several times - but when Moloch came into that cell with Andy - there was genuine terror and fear in my heart. When he snapped Andy's head back - GENUINE fear. When Abbie came in and saw the blurred image of Moloch in the mirror and then Moloch did that fast blur movement in pieces, like "pfft pfft pfft" and then the mirror cracked - I screamed out loud AGAIN.

When Jenny was doing pull-ups and Moloch appeared behind her - I SCREAMED.

THAT is the sense of terror - layered terror that the show seems to have lost with its monsters. The only way Pandora works, imo, is if she is working for a much greater and more terrifying Big Bad - one that they can show in shadow and blurred - monsters are more terrifying when they are indirect. The fast movement, "pfft" sound and mirrors cracking - bring THAT back show! If every monster of the week is coming from her and we already know, etc., where is the mystery? Where is the terrible fear of not knowing what is coming and who is doing it?

I was trying to think of what was missing and you've pinpointed it EXACTLY @phoenics! The "Bads" in S1 (Headless and Moloch) were implacable, unknown and terrifying. There was nothing "human" about them. We didn't know their personalities or their pasts. They simply were. The terror they invoked and their role in S1 is put well in this quote from Reese to Sarah Connor in Terminator 1: "Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

• Love 6

Exactly!

I think that's my issue with Monsters of the Week - they can be easily vanquished, so you know that after the episode ends, they will be gone too. There's no reason to fear them - the threat is gone too soon.

Pandora is mysterious, but she's not scary. I'm not afraid of her - just intrigued. I want to be afraid. I want that "Terminator-esque" fear that comes from knowing you can't just shoot something and kill it.

Remember those old school horror flicks where the big bad just kept coming and it felt like there was no escape? I used to do lock ins for charity and we'd watch them to keep us awake (and then I'd stay awake for weeks afterwards - still scared, lol). Freddy, Jason, Werewolves, vampires - all of that kept me scared... and the fear was because you COULDN'T vanquish them - you just had to outwit them in order to make it through...

The same should be true of the demon stuff - they shouldn't feel so cartoonish - and the terror should be less in the gore and more in the direction and shots. S1 SH also had the scenes with very little gore - but they were still terrifying - eyes turning white, or black, and the sound effects that came with it - SCARED YOU. Demons appearing in one frame but not the next. The lightning fast movement of supernatural forces - that red demon from this episode would have been much more scary with that - it's not scary teeth and claws that makes them scary - it's the supernaturalness of its movements. And that kind of effect is massively cheap - why did they stop using it?

Ugh - show some demon things crawling on their hands and knees up on the ceiling or something, lol.

Even that scene in the cabin of the red thing killing the dude - if they had shown it coming at him in fast movement and shadow - wow. But as it was, the red stuff wasn't really terrifying to me. I guess gore and stuff like that doesn't scare me. But fast movement, blurred lines and shadow always did.

• Love 2

That's so true. Moloch was utterly terrifying. Headless was super scary, because there was no knowing him and no reasoning with him. You couldn't begin to even understand him. It's like how Michael Meyer's mask was frightening, because it was expressionless and you can't read it taken to the umpteenth degree. Headless had no head! Even the Sandman was similarly devoid of readable human characteristics. They felt so alien. 

Then they freaking gave Headless a head and lame motivations and whiny behavior. Suddenly, he's every bitter ex-boyfriend we've ever had. And Henry was just angsty adolescent with powers. Finally, making Moloch talk was unforgivable. Also, they did have more human/human-like motw with very human emotions in the second season and that watered down the show too. 

Thinking of that, it does make me wish that we had a better big bad than Pandora, but honestly, I'm just glad she's not Henry and Abraham. She seems interesting for now. Witches (well, at least she seems witch-like in her powers) aren't my fave ever, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Love 4

I totally agree, @ pheonics

Less is more with horror and suspense. Don't tell us too much (or show too much)--make the evil mysterious, unknown and seemingly unstoppable. That scene of Moloch with the super fast, jerky movement and then head-butting the mirror? Perfect! Weird unnatural movement, no explanation for his actions and power to kill between dimensions. What is this creature and how can something like that be stopped? This IS a monster worthy of our attention.

Hope they get back to THAT!

• Love 6

The new episode was just ok. I think they could have found a way to keep C. Thomas Howelll, even if not a regular.  He added something in just a few short scenes.  Something was missing, I just don't know what it is.  Pandora skulking around was kind of boring.  I am glad that Jenny is back, but I don't know about bringing back Corbin's son.  

I too think I will miss Irving, and I think Howell's character could have been an interesting dynamic for Abbie at work, rather than someone that she has been romantically involved with.  The first episode felt like it was trying too hard.

Having him show up in flashbacks then having his son come to visit would be too on the nose with Clancy Brown's Sheriff Corbin. Might as well go all in and get Headless out of the box

• Love 1
Abby is to boss-mentors what Spinal Tap is to drummers.  Maybe we should have a boss a week killed as a recurring theme

I made the comparison to the Harry Potter Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.  They all had pretty bad fates: death, dementia, torture etc.

• Love 5

That's so true. Moloch was utterly terrifying. Headless was super scary, because there was no knowing him and no reasoning with him. You couldn't begin to even understand him. It's like how Michael Meyer's mask was frightening, because it was expressionless and you can't read it taken to the umpteenth degree. Headless had no head! Even the Sandman was similarly devoid of readable human characteristics. They felt so alien.

That's just sad, they had interesting villains and then they ruined them in S2.

• Love 2

My nitpicks:

1. How did Crane travel internationally? It must have been a heavy-duty passport forgery that allowed him not only to enter the U.K. but also to return back to the U.S.A. And Abbie, a federal law enforcement agent sanctioned this?

2. Nobody asked any question seeing Crane going around a crime scene like that? Yes, Abbie brought him, but none of the FBI colleagues of hers questioned who that man was?

3. As well, Crane and Jenny roaming around the FBI field office without even a visitor ID?

4. Speaking of FBI office, Abbie's private office (!) is very roomy for someone who has been in the job for nine months, IMHO.

• Love 3

I made the comparison to the Harry Potter Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.  They all had pretty bad fates: death, dementia, torture etc.

Or patrol officers on Misfits.

My nitpicks:

1. How did Crane travel internationally? It must have been a heavy-duty passport forgery that allowed him not only to enter the U.K. but also to return back to the U.S.A. And Abbie, a federal law enforcement agent sanctioned this?

2. Nobody asked any question seeing Crane going around a crime scene like that? Yes, Abbie brought him, but none of the FBI colleagues of hers questioned who that man was?

3. As well, Crane and Jenny roaming around the FBI field office without even a visitor ID?

4. Speaking of FBI office, Abbie's private office (!) is very roomy for someone who has been in the job for nine months, IMHO.

Well, if we're picking nits:

5. How did Crane get the money for his almost year-long walkabout?

6. How did Crane have Katrina's necklace on in the detention center? It should have been confiscated as personal property and was a choking hazard.

7. How is Abbie going to explain firing her weapon? They keep track of that stuff.

8. Why didn't any of the numerous agents investigate Jenny's gunfire round the corner?

9. How come Crane never noticed that the tablet was actually two pieces, but Abby saw it in like six seconds?

Lastly, and I actually don't even know if this is a nit or not, where has Headless been all this time? I don't even remember where he ended up at the end of season 2 (most of which has been banished from my mind). Can someone remind me please? And has he just been riding around town all this time since then? And if he has, why would Crane leave town and Abbie go to the FBI without taking care of him? 

Edited by cynic
  • Love 2

Good question about Headless... I guess since Headless wasn't after Crane at this point they just left him to his own devices and he just didn't kill during this time? LOL. Maybe he went to visit the Kindred.

And another: How did Crane even have Kantrina's necklace? Wasn't it disintegrated when she turned into a pile of ash and then disappeared? Did Crane pinch it off of her before she turned to dust?

I just rewetted and I didn't see him take anything off of her and it wasn't left behind either...

I can forgive it, but eh...

• Love 1

I would have appreciated, and been satisfied with, some hand-waving bit of dialogue about how they've forged him a fake identity as his own descendant or something.

In fact, had they never done the whole Henry clusterfuck, they could have done a nice mini-arc with Ichabod *meeting* one of his actual current-day descendants, doing a brief bit of bonding, and then having the descendant be killed by the forces of darkness. Bam, we now have the familial emotional impact that was rendered impossible by CFD suck, *and* Ichabod could assume the identity of his now-deceased descendant.

Bonus aspects:

1) Tom Mison could play a dual role a la nearly everyone on Vampire Diaries (remote descendant who looks just like you also being a common fantasy trope, see Outlander). Accent wackiness could even ensue. ETA: I am now picturing Modern!Crane being a dopey but affable hipster who *failed American History class*. How much fun would Tom have with that? God, I kind of need to write this fic.

2) It could even be set up as some sort of mystical balancing of the scales: Ichabod is not supposed to be alive in this time period, so the powers that be claimed his descendant.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 4

I'm disappointed Irving did not return in the regular cast.  I thought that was how they set it up at the end of last season.  Was looking at the "Village of Sleepy Hollow population 144,000" sign.  Since when is a city of 144,000 called a village?  And isn't that kind of high?  That's a major suburb.  Sleepy Hollow always seemed like a town in the 25,000 population range to me.  Going to be kind of hard for Abby to be in the FBI while doing this demon-fighting stuff on the side.  Doing it while a cop was one thing, but the Feds is another.

Edited by Dobian

I'm disappointed Irving did not return in the regular cast.  I thought that was how they set it up at the end of last season.  Was looking at the "Village of Sleepy Hollow population 144,000" sign.  Since when is a city of 144,000 called a village?  And isn't that kind of high?  That's a major suburb.  Sleepy Hollow always seemed like a town in the 25,000 population range to me.  Going to be kind of hard for Abby to be in the FBI while doing this demon-fighting stuff on the side.  Doing it while a cop was one thing, but the Feds is another.

IRL, Sleepy Hollow is a village (it used to be called North Tarrytown, but changed for various political reasons) and has fewer than 10,000 people (in part because there are so many historical landmarks taking up space). There was a theory back in Season 1 that 144,000 is a reference to the twelve groups of twelve thousand people the book of Revelations seems to say will be saved from the apocalypse.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

The writing for Abbie this episode was incredibly annoying. For the sake of rebooting the show they made her into an obstinate non-believer that should be convinced the evil is back? Why would you do that, show?

Betty Ross or whatever is not necessary. But the actress can actually act, so it's something! They're going to bring her back from the dead, and we will be subjected to clumsy Ichabod flirting with no chemistry yet again.

Mison has way more chemistry with Lyndie Greenwood than with Nicole Beharie. Ichabod and Jenny should start their own detective agency and call it Revolutionary PIs or something.

The scene with Abbie and Ichabod hugging while completely forgetting Jennie was hit was grating and disturbing.

My nitpicks:

You'll end up in Tarrytown Psych if you are looking for any sense of reality in a show with the initial premise of a guy waking up after 200+ years and a headless horseman.

I would have appreciated, and been satisfied with, some hand-waving bit of dialogue about how they've forged him a fake identity as his own descendant or something

Hawley gave him a packet of identity papers last season.

• Love 5

The writing for Abbie this episode was incredibly annoying. For the sake of rebooting the show they made her into an obstinate non-believer that should be convinced the evil is back? Why would you do that, show?

Betty Ross or whatever is not necessary. But the actress can actually act, so it's something! They're going to bring her back from the dead, and we will be subjected to clumsy Ichabod flirting with no chemistry yet again.

Mison has way more chemistry with Lyndie Greenwood than with Nicole Beharie. Ichabod and Jenny should start their own detective agency and call it Revolutionary PIs or something.

The scene with Abbie and Ichabod hugging while completely forgetting Jennie was hit was grating and disturbing.

I don't think they made Abbie a non-believer, just that she thought they had stopped the apocalypse so it was done.  I think it was wishful thinking on her part that all this supernatural evil stuff wouldn't be starting up again, so she was in denial at first.

Betsy Ross as a love interest doesn't make sense to me since this was allegedly going on when Ichabod was in love with Katrina.  I hope they keep her  in the past.  Also, her looks, dialogue and accent seemed pretty 21st century to me.

Ichabod and Abbie have never had romantic chemistry, they've had bro chemistry and I want to keep it that way.  I want fist bumps, not the two of them making out.

Edited by Dobian

Abbie and Crane don't have "bro" chemistry. Abbie is not a man.

The actors might have had chemistry way back in S1, that could have been translated into any kind of relationship. Unfortunately the story ruined that chemistry and there is nothing left. Maybe if they had addressed the problematic aspects of their partnership, something could have been done about it, but Campbell is treating this season as a clean slate, when there is nothing clean about this mess. I find the concept that this man is a friend to Abbie ridiculous.

Ichabod and Abbie have never had romantic chemistry, they've had bro chemistry and I want to keep it that way.  I want fist bumps, not the two of them making out.

I didn't mean romantic chemistry. I meant screen chemistry. It was there in season 1, and now it's just gone.

I don't particularly care about shipping in this show (I only ever shipped Ichabod and Hawley because they were tall hot snarky dudes together). But I expect the show to eventually go "there" with Ichabod and Abbie. They're attractive young heterosexual people that have close friendship and eternal bond by destiny. Heterosexuality and attractiveness are reasons enough for tv characters to fall in love, and Ichabod and Abbie have even more than that.

That screen chemistry isn't gone for me. It may have been a little muted, which makes sense to me given the separation of the characters for so long and under those circumstances, but it was definitely still there. Especially in comparison to the Ichabod/SBR scene.

On another note, I really liked Ichabod's surprised and kind of shy smile at Abbie when Jenny hugged him. I think he's insecure in his relationships and doesn't quite believe that he's liked and cared about generally.

• Love 13
I don't think they made Abbie a non-believer, just that she thought they had stopped the apocalypse so it was done.  I think it was wishful thinking on her part that all this supernatural evil stuff wouldn't be starting up again, so she was in denial at first.

I agree with this, but I also have to agree with the earlier poster and say that I wasn't particularly interested in them hitting this beat again. We've been there, done that with the character already. Let's find something fresher to do with Abbie. (This may be my dislike of the FBI job speaking, though. It's already completely unbelievable that she can balance the FBI and being a Witness, and it's only going to get worse.)

Definitely think the Abbie/Ichabod chemistry is still there, though I've never shipped them romantically. Though I also long ago made my peace with the fact that the show probably will hook them up eventually (series finale most likely).

• Love 1

I think they reset in a way that reassured viewers that left in s2 that Ichabbie (in whatever manner) is important again, and allows a way to get new viewers interested. I didn't like it because it was a bit redundant but I can handle it for one episodd. Now if they keep being redundant that will be a different story.

• Love 1

Abbie and Crane don't have "bro" chemistry. Abbie is not a man.

The actors might have had chemistry way back in S1, that could have been translated into any kind of relationship. Unfortunately the story ruined that chemistry and there is nothing left. Maybe if they had addressed the problematic aspects of their partnership, something could have been done about it, but Campbell is treating this season as a clean slate, when there is nothing clean about this mess. I find the concept that this man is a friend to Abbie ridiculous.

She's not a man, but their friendship could easily be between two guys. There is no sexual tension between them. I also like that ther is no sexual tension between them. I don't get why every show with a male and female lead always has to do the romance thing. As for them falling in love because they are both heterosexual and bound by destiny, there also has to be a spark between two people, otherwise it's forced. Putting these two into a romance on this show would be forced.

• Love 3

Crane and Sexy Betsy Ross have no chemistry and apparently the show is willing to force that to happen. Don't even get me started on the chemistry blackhole of Crane and Katrina. I think Abbie and Crane have great chemistry and they're both good enough actors that if they start playing to sexual tension, we'll see it more. 

• Love 5

She's not a man, but their friendship could easily be between two guys.

Or two women (if I considered that travesty a friendship), yet nobody is calling them sisters or sistas. The show and Goffman have done more than enough to desexualize Abbie and to paint her as undesirable black woman (yes, the show gave her a couple of men interested in her, but creepy sleazy ones), so the term bro applied to her plays into this disturbing dynamic.

There is no sexual tension between them. I also like that ther is no sexual tension between them. I don't get why every show with a male and female lead always has to do the romance thing. As for them falling in love because they are both heterosexual and bound by destiny, there also has to be a spark between two people, otherwise it's forced. Putting these two into a romance on this show would be forced.

But isn't that what they did with Crane and Katrina, in spite of their blatant anti-chemistry, romantic or otherwise? Clearly the show has never cared about chemistry or the lack of it. There are tons of people who think Abbie and Crane have sexual chemistry. Personally, I don't think it matters anymore. It's more simple than that. It just doesn't make logical sense to turn them into a romantic pairing, considering the way he has treated her throughout the series. The writers have bent Abbie's character over backwards to accommodate Crane's many betrayals, general ineffectualness and general shittiness, instead of repairing his character. Hooking them up would be gross, she shouldn't be treated like a doormat. Chemistry be damned.

• Love 1