Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

ShellSeeker

Yes, I think that for all the failings we have seen in the first two seasons, this is the first time we saw how very broken she is.  I'm counting on more Ellen Burstyn -- what a great choice for that role. 

• Love 6

I love how this show doesn't pull punches. She didn't cry, she didn't go back when her mother cried behind the door, they didn't reconcile. It's a gut punch, like life.

And, while her mom clearly did have an untenable situation and the system didn't help her keep her kid-- and I love that they exposed that fundamental dysfunction that parents in poverty face-- they also didn't romanticize her because she chose the boyfriend over her daughter, too.

Agonizingly messy and painful and even just watching this show could knock the wind out of a person.

• Love 16

It would have been "easy" storytelling to have her return to the apartment when she heard her mom crying, but having her walk out was so much truer to the circumstance and her character.  I love watching Allison.  She reacts with every inch of her body, without saying a word.

I love how this show doesn't pull punches. She didn't cry, she didn't go back when her mother cried behind the door, they didn't reconcile. It's a gut punch, like life.

And, while her mom clearly did have an untenable situation and the system didn't help her keep her kid-- and I love that they exposed that fundamental dysfunction that parents in poverty face-- they also didn't romanticize her because she chose the boyfriend over her daughter, too.

Agonizingly messy and painful and even just watching this show could knock the wind out of a person.

Well said, Possibilities.

• Love 6

It's just SUCH a shame that people can't be convinced how much depth there is to this show.

Pondering the (now) four generations of "moms" and the extent to which Violet broke the cycle--although it was by also giving up her child, and how her circumstances were different from Burstyn's--has given me more food for thought than anything else I've watched on television this week.

• Love 16

It's astonishing that this is still on the air. I really enjoyed last night's episode.

Not really. The show gets decent ratings for a CBS comedy. Nothing spectacular like BBT or Men but good enough and add to that Allison Janney has gotten a couple Emmys for her roll. CBS wasn't going to cancel the show. They'll cancel Broke Girls before they cancel this.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

...not to mention that Chuck Lorre has made so much money for CBS and Fox that they'd probably let him air laundry lists if it would keep him working for them. MOM's ratings have been slowly but steadily rising.

• Love 1

It's true the ratings are decent, but that surprises me. I am not sure if there's something to the Lorre format (has he ever had a ratings failure?) or the subject matter, or what. But I'm used to seeing shows I like and respect and which are as challenging as this one bomb in the ratings. Not always, but often enough to give me the expectation that if I'm in love with a show, it's probably at the bottom of the popularity barrel.

• Love 5

A solid start to the season. When Bonnie left her mom and heard her crying behind the door, I thought, I hope she doesn't go back. On any other show, someone in her position would, but not on this one. Was so glad when she turned and left, because that's the character she's been established as. It can be difficult to watch, but it's realistic and it makes this the unique show that it is.

I really missed Mom and am glad it's back.

• Love 6

When I tell people the premise of Mom or describe an episode their response is usually "that's not a sitcom".  My response is "no it isn't".   This series deals with serious matters, sometimes with comedic scenes but it is rarely silly, and I really enjoy the show.  I wish more viewers would discover this gem of a series. 

• Love 4

I wasn't prepared to like this show as much as I do.  I thought it might be a little too "Two and a Half Men" for my tastes, and I pretty much skipped the first couple of seasons, only watching a couple of times.  But this season--wow.  As funny as I find it, by the end of tonight I was sniffling again.  No easy outs, no solving everyone's problems by the end of the episode.  It appeals to the "life isn't fair" experiences in me, and I find myself admiring the characters for getting up in the morning and facing life every day, even when it stinks.

• Love 5

I'll watch Allison Janney in anything she does. I'm not a Lorre fan, but this show is the one of his I do like. They tackle serious issues with humor, like so many people are forced to do. It is realistic to me.

I agree that the ratings are solid enough for it to continue, especially when it seems so hard to find a good network comedy.

Also, I've grown to love Anna Farris in this role.

• Love 9

I really can't blame Christy for being bitter that her ex somehow "got a boat" (and everything else. How in the hell DID he suddenly get his act together? All along, she was the more functional of the two. And I can't help but think it's because he had zero responsibilities, since she took care of the kids. So when he finally had a motive, he just did what he needed to do, and there wasn't anything complicated about it. He basically got to be a totally irresponsible dude until he wanted to be a grown up. He didn't have bills to pay or other people to worry about. He played til he got tired of playing. The End. And now not only is everything working out for him, but her kid is choosing him over her. I get why she's feeling crazy and bitter. He's really quite smug, which makes it worse. He should pay her all the years of child support he owes her and never paid before, so maybe she could quit waiting tables, or put a downpayment on a house or a boat of her own.

Usually I think the "hate that my ex is doing well" thing is annoying, but in this case I totally understood her point of view.

• Love 12

The writers seem to be intentionally ignoring the whole issue of Baxter's unpaid child support. As much as Christy can be petty re: sharing custody, she has every right to be bitter about what he's doing. If you buy a boat, you take the kid out on the boat the next time you have custody.

What's the name of the new character, with the abusive boyfriend - Jodie? I don't see things ending well for her, at all.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 4

I hope Christy can finally catch a break here somewhere. There's a fine line between realism and utter bleakness. 

Unfortunately, for some people, reality is utter bleakness.

I really enjoyed last night's eppy. Christie sweating and crying while asking for a raise was comedy gold. I'm happy this show is back on the air.

• Love 5

I really can't blame Christy for being bitter that her ex somehow "got a boat" (and everything else. How in the hell DID he suddenly get his act together? All along, she was the more functional of the two. And I can't help but think it's because he had zero responsibilities, since she took care of the kids. So when he finally had a motive, he just did what he needed to do, and there wasn't anything complicated about it. He basically got to be a totally irresponsible dude until he wanted to be a grown up. He didn't have bills to pay or other people to worry about. He played til he got tired of playing. The End. And now not only is everything working out for him, but her kid is choosing him over her. I get why she's feeling crazy and bitter. He's really quite smug, which makes it worse. He should pay her all the years of child support he owes her and never paid before, so maybe she could quit waiting tables, or put a downpayment on a house or a boat of her own.

Usually I think the "hate that my ex is doing well" thing is annoying, but in this case I totally understood her point of view.

I completely agree. I kind of hated that the show made her out to be in the wrong for how she felt. I understand in terms of recovery that you need to let go of the resentment, but she has every right to be upset and resentful. First of all, she was right, it was her time with her son and the boat isn't going anywhere. Honestly I am not sure why she doesn't appeal to a court and get both the custody and the child support court ordered.

• Love 4
The writers seem to be intentionally ignoring the whole issue of Baxter's unpaid child support. As much as Christy can be petty re: sharing custody, she has every right to be bitter about what he's doing. If you buy a boat, you take the kid out on the boat the next time you have custody.

This!!

But of course, without money, there's no lawyer breathing down his neck, either, to garnish his wages.

And they've established that Christy has low self-esteem, and her friends and family do undermine her, so her inability to even ask for the child support, or point out lucidly why Baxter's behavior is manipulative, smug, selfish, and unjust, is right in character with her inability to ask for a raise-- especially after she got demoted when she did suck it up and at least try to ask.

RE the new girl (Jodi), I agree she doesn't look to be en route to a happy outcome, but then again look at what we know about Marjorie's past. You never know who's going to make it. I liked the entire table of women saying they did in fact think she would steal from them-- but they were going to try to help her anyway. That right there is the difference between utter bleakness and almost utter bleakness....

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

I discovered this show when it began back in season one.  Mom had replaced some other show that I liked and wondered why they put this 'crap' on.  I began watching the show and fell in love with it. Allison Janney is 'GOLD' as are Anna Farris & Mimi Kennedy (mother of Dharma on Dharma & Greg).  Since it was a new show I had doubts about it returning for a 2nd season but hoped it would.  It did and now season 3 is here and I so look forward to each episode.  I DVR the show and have most of season 2 and bought season 1 on DVD I like it so much.

I've seen Allison on Ellen and she has a wonderful sense of humor which is probably why this show is so good.  The first episode of season 3 was a riot - June Squibb was priceless.  I recall she was on an episode of Mike & Molly and played Vince's old girlfriend/wife in a May/December hookup that went sour.  She was killing it!

Anyway, hope this season stays as good as the previous ones have been.

• Love 3

This!!

But of course, without money, there's no lawyer breathing down his neck, either, to garnish his wages.

And they've established that Christy has low self-esteem, and her friends and family do undermine her, so her inability to even ask for the child support, or point out lucidly why Baxter's behavior is manipulative, smug, selfish, and unjust, is right in character with her inability to ask for a raise-- especially after she got demoted when she did suck it up and at least try to ask.

RE the new girl (Jodi), I agree she doesn't look to be en route to a happy outcome, but then again look at what we know about Marjorie's past. You never know who's going to make it. I liked the entire table of women saying they did in fact think she would steal from them-- but they were going to try to help her anyway. That right there is the difference between utter bleakness and almost utter bleakness....

If Christy ever received public assistance to help with her children, the DA is usually quite keen to go after a dead-beat  dad to recoup those funds.  Wouldn't that be nice?  Maybe she didn't, but it seems likely she would. 

• Love 2

I wish June Squibb had a recurring role.  Loved Bonnie's line about "yes you can pick your family!"

Last week's episode was great too.  This show is a gem.  I thought Jodi looked familiar and sure enough she was played wonderfully by Emily Osmont.  I still think Cristy should be getting alimony from her son's father and his new girlfriend.  Ugh those two!

• Love 1

Now that Violet has made her first season 3 appearance, I have to say I'm glad they chose to make her more tolerable - but she's still something of a comedy killer. This was one of the least funny episodes this show has done in a long time.

(Also, it was really dumb of her not to tell her mother or grandmother that her fiance doesn't know she had a kid. And speaking of stupidity, her fiance is a moron if he thinks she's anywhere near ready to be a good mother.)

• Love 3

I was happy to have Violet back. I miss Christy's kids. This year they're practically non-existent and it's so different from previous seasons where Christy was struggling to stay sober AND take care of her two children.

• Love 2

Just started watching -  find the age differences jarring.  The mother daughter new best friends look like sisters.  But it is a great show that shows much deeper insight into addiction and dependence than any other show I have ever seen.  Well done.

• Love 2

Now that Violet has made her first season 3 appearance, I have to say I'm glad they chose to make her more tolerable - but she's still something of a comedy killer. This was one of the least funny episodes this show has done in a long time.

(Also, it was really dumb of her not to tell her mother or grandmother that her fiance doesn't know she had a kid. And speaking of stupidity, her fiance is a moron if he thinks she's anywhere near ready to be a good mother.)

I completely agree. When I saw Violet was going to be back, I groaned. She wasn't as bratty this time around but the whole time she was out with Christy, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Then with the 22-years-her senior fiancé, I kept getting annoyed. First, as I remember he was kind of a jerk-off to them last season, now he is spouting off about how this immature girl is going to be a good mother. Whatever dude. Why don't you pass your grand plan to her before you start deciding for her what you want for her. I love the actor that plays Gregory but he really grates in this role.

I think I prefer the show with fewer appearances by her children.

OTOH, I really appreciated the scene with Bonnie trying to make amends. It was done really well. Particularly that she was not initially forgiven...after all, making amends is not about the other person "forgiving" you.

• Love 5

I really appreciated the scene with Bonnie trying to make amends. It was done really well. Particularly that she was not initially forgiven...after all, making amends is not about the other person "forgiving" you.

One of the reasons I enjoy this show is because they rarely take the easy or predictable way out.  They mix in doses of realism to the characters lives.

• Love 8

I guess this is a minority opinion, but I don't find these stories at all believable. The premise of Bonnie's job is not at all realistic. Even if she talked her way into the job, she's not qualified and several calls by tenants would end her job and the free rent situation very quickly. The daughter. Her live in boyfriend is 20 years older? What? If a man pushing 40 is interested in a girl pushing 20 there is something wrong with the man in my opinion. And the entire AA meeting scenario is truly a fantasy. Even if there were two recovering addicts deluded enough to drag someone, drunk at the end of a bad day to an AA meeting, none of the other members had issue? Yes, the subject matter is serious, but I don't feel it's at all believable. I tune in because I really like all of the actors, and they are doing amazing with the material they are given. But I find the premise trite and silly.

• Love 1

Allison Janney vamping in the Daisy Dukes was something else.

I'm still mad that Cristy is being made to look like a petty loser when it's Baxter who was the absent, deadbeat parent and never paid child support. It's just plain wrong that he gets to waltz in with his new money and condescend to her and not even her friends are sympathetic to her frustration, and the lawyer she works for is unable to articulate that Baxter owes her and maybe she has a tiny right to be a little angry.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I'm still mad that Cristy is being made to look like a petty loser when it's Baxter who was the absent, deadbeat parent and never paid child support. It's just plain wrong that he gets to waltz in with his new money and condescend to her and not even her friends are sympathetic to her frustration, and the lawyer she works for is unable to articulate that Baxter owes her and maybe she has a tiny right to be a little angry.

That's life sometimes and I think that is why I think the show is brilliant. Baxter is just a lucky guy who fell into a lucky situation and despite the fact that he isn't a smart guy he is smart enough to realize that much.

I disagree that Cristy is a petty loser. I agree she has a right to be angry that this woman is stepping in and taking control without asking permission from both parents. I actually like that Cristy is frustrated that her son is doing well under the other woman's roof but is chafing under the rules.

I think it's the other woman who is petty and out of line.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I don't mind the show giving us the story of reality, which is that it isn't fair. I just mind that not even her friends seem to acknowledge it. They are usually pretty good about saying things like: we know it sucks, but you have to deal with it because the world isn't going to coddle you even if you're right. I can't understand why this time they all seem to be telling her not only to deal with it but also that they can't understand why she's upset. The picture they are painting is true, and I love that about the show. It's just usually shown that her friends get it, even if they can't fix it for her.

• Love 3

That's life sometimes and I think that is why I think the show is brilliant. Baxter is just a lucky guy who fell into a lucky situation and despite the fact that he isn't a smart guy he is smart enough to realize that much.

I disagree that Cristy is a petty loser. I agree she has a right to be angry that this woman is stepping in and taking control without asking permission from both parents. I actually like that Cristy is frustrated that her son is doing well under the other woman's roof but is chafing under the rules.

I think it's the other woman who is petty and out of line.

Yes it's definitely the other woman who is petty and out of line. The whole fact that Baxter brought her to the parent/teacher conference and that she basically dominated the conversation leaving Christy to look bad just drove me up the wall. Honestly, I'm not even sure how the show wants us to feel about the situation but everytime Marjorie runs her mouth about how she happy she should be it bugs the crap out of me. She has every right to be pissed - that is her son and the other woman is going around acting like his de facto mother and treating Christy like crap to boot. She has zero respect for her...and considering that she put up with Baxter's crap for years you'd think she would. All she does is throw her money in her face and make her feel bad and Christy's friends are telling her she should be happy? Ugh.

• Love 3

I really liked this last bunch of episodes. It looks like Christy is heading for a crash. We've heard about Drunk Christy but we've never actually seen her. I did really like the conversation between Christy and Baxter and I can see why they worked for awhile. He is a fool but he is a good kind of fool. It isn't really him I have a problem with its his girlfriend who is causing the issues.

A part of be does really want to see what Christy looks like on alcohol. Just for an episode or two,

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I was afraid that at the end they would show Regina drunkenly crash the party. I'm glad they didn't go there. It is possible for someone who has substance abuse problems to be able to drink, but it's not something to be encouraged. And I didn't like that she drank in her friends' presence; not cool, Regina.

I don't want to see Christy fail, but it would be realistic.

• Love 1

I'm kind of sick of the writers giving Marjorie whatever personality traits will be convenient for the plot.

I could see her agreeing to respect Regina's decision - but not without speaking her mind first, about how dangerous it was. What the hell kind of sponsor says, "Oh, you want to go back to drinking? I'm fine with that if you are."

This episode confirmed my hatred of Regina. She's just a smug, self-righteous person, whether her addiction of the moment is alcohol, drugs or religion. And I don't know if Marcus Mannigold-Dupree (?) was supposed to be hot, but he didn't do a thing for me. I loved Christy saying his name over and over again, though.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

Delurking just to comment on this: I thought it was mentioned some time last season that Baxter actually parented both children - even though Violet isn't his - while Christy was drinking. Obviously he wasn't father of the year, but my impression is that he made sure the children were fed, went to school, etc., while Christy was completely out of it. Yes, he should have started paying child support for Roscoe as soon as he got a steady income, but he's not a deadbeat since Roscoe lives with him most of the time. I think the reason Christy may not want to push the child support issue is that she's afraid the "red turd" will talk Baxter into fighting for sole custody (which I totally believe she would), which would be a bigger blow for Christly than the lack of money.

In other news: Allison Janney, who is my mother's age, rocks the daisy dukes better than I could ever aspire to.

• Love 5

Delurking just to comment on this: I thought it was mentioned some time last season that Baxter actually parented both children - even though Violet isn't his - while Christy was drinking. Obviously he wasn't father of the year, but my impression is that he made sure the children were fed, went to school, etc., while Christy was completely out of it. Yes, he should have started paying child support for Roscoe as soon as he got a steady income, but he's not a deadbeat since Roscoe lives with him most of the time. I think the reason Christy may not want to push the child support issue is that she's afraid the "red turd" will talk Baxter into fighting for sole custody (which I totally believe she would), which would be a bigger blow for Christly than the lack of money.

In other news: Allison Janney, who is my mother's age, rocks the daisy dukes better than I could ever aspire to.

It was mentioned during the episode when Christy was deciding whether to let Rosco live with Baxter in his girlfriends house which had a pool.    Christy did't want to allow it thinking that Baxter was irresponsible  but then Violet made the point that by the end it was him who was doing most of the raising of Rosco.   This last episode really impressed me because when Christy asked Baxter if her drinking was "just a phase" and if she could start drinking in moderation is answer was mature, truthful and even kind.  

We can debate the child support issue but at one point I think Baxter was living out of his van and didn't have a job.  He fell into the relationship he has now and now he has Rosco living with him.  Christy could have forced the issue about money early on but I think what she wanted most for Rosco was a father in his life which Baxter always was.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Delurking just to comment on this: I thought it was mentioned some time last season that Baxter actually parented both children - even though Violet isn't his - while Christy was drinking. Obviously he wasn't father of the year, but my impression is that he made sure the children were fed, went to school, etc., while Christy was completely out of it.

That was my impression also.  I don't think Baxter is a bad/deadbeat dad at all.  That girlfriend has an agenda but that's another issue.

• Love 2

That was my impression also. I don't think Baxter is a bad/deadbeat dad at all. That girlfriend has an agenda but that's another issue.

Baxter has a lot of positive qualities. But he seems to be rolling in dough now, and if he hasn't paid off any of the back child support that he owes, then I think the term deadbeat applies.

I just watched the episode with Linda Lavine - she is still great!  I thought it was a good episode; I'm glad to see the episode centered on Christy; Bonnie was starting to get on my nerves. Christy making a "Jewish" meal was a gutsy move. I would never try to make a new recipe (much less several!) for the first time for a guest, especially ethnic food.

I also liked the way the episode ended, where Linda L's character recognized how hard Christy is working to be a good person.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Even my own two grandmothers had vastly different kugel recipes, so Christy attempting kugel might have failed even if she got it right-- it's something that people vary about, but cling to fiercely in whatever version they grew up with.

I liked that both sides of the family were skeptical of the age difference between Violet and what's his name. Also, that What's his name was as mortified by his mother as Violet is by hers.

RE: the previous episode, Regina's choice to stay home and drink instead of socialize with her friends, to me said her "ability to drink" was not a sign of spectacular recovery, but that she's actually on a downswing. I thought it was a pretty decent portrayal of how the people who are trying to help you stay sober are often "the bad guys" and don't even themselves know for sure that they're right, and how messy that whole situation can become. But honestly, if you are in recovery and can drink without going off the rails, that doesn't mean you can't understand where your non-drinking friends in recovery are coming from. It shouldn't be a battle, it should be something everyone can understand. Regina's attitude towards her friends was suspicious to me, even before they showed her drinking alone at the end of the episode.

• Love 3