Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

ShellSeeker

The previews for the new episode scare me. I hope nothing bad happens to any of the people very important to Chrisy.

Maybe it's Bonnie's mother?

Or maybe Regina? I wouldn't be surprised if Octavia Spencer wants off the show, and they might want to throw in a "alcoholism can't be wished away" message.

It had better not be Marjorie.

WOW. That was such an intense cliffhanger. So sad. And not addressed yet, is the guilt Christy will feel when she realizes she hung up on Jodi when she called her in a time of crisis.

I'm gonna miss seeing Jodi on the show. I guess she had to be written off, and a big lesson had to be on the show. 

• Love 4

When Jodi first showed up, I called it that she didn't have long to live - but I don't think that required any great prescience on my part.

I was glad they decided not to let Marjorie's wedding day be ruined for her. My fiance had a death in the family while his mother and grandmother were on vacation together (celebrating their 50th and 70th birthdays, respectively), and the family chose not to tell them until after they got home. They understood.

• Love 5

Oh, man... I was crying at the end too. Poor Jodi, and poor Christie for having to deal with the aftermath.

I'm also glad they didn't tell Marjorie; that would have served no purpose.

Nice to see Rhea Perlman again; I haven't seen her for a while.

• Love 2

When Jodi first showed up, I called it that she didn't have long to live - but I don't think that required any great prescience on my part.

I was glad they decided not to let Marjorie's wedding day be ruined for her. My fiance had a death in the family while his mother and grandmother were on vacation together (celebrating their 50th and 70th birthdays, respectively), and the family chose not to tell them until after they got home. They understood.

I also pretty much predicted she would die when they did that whole recap in the beginning of the episode about how she got there. Then when she told Christie about her boyfriend with two weeks clean time, I knew how it would happen.

I was telling my husband, who is 23 years clean, that I was surprised that it took the show three years to do something like this.

But it was well done and well acted.

And I loved Rhea Perlman - I've been watching old Cheers episodes and it's nice to see her in this.

• Love 1

Profoundly depressing, but brilliantly done. Opioid overdose deaths are such a big problem these days that it was both brave and appropriate for a show based around women in recovery to address it. I also thought the public service message at the end was well done.

Some years ago, I had a close female friend who descended into alcoholism and in spite of several attempts at rehab eventually drank herself to death. I will never forget the phone call I got that brought the news, and for better or worse the scene in the church brought that back. That's how life is sometimes... not always funny.

• Love 8

I do like that this show doesn't glamorize or trivialize drug / alcohol use.  it really bugged me that it ended on such a sad note, and then jumped to a pot-joke on 2 Broke Girls. 

This part of the recovery story needs to be told too, and it was well done.  I will admit I either forgot, or didn't see, the episodes with Jodi so the recap was necessary, but still quite the tip-off. 

• Love 1

So sad! I had just finished watching American Crime Story then I watched this hoping for a few laughs but - jeez. What a depressing night of TV for me!

We must be on similar DVR schedules because I did the exact same thing. It was a rough, emotional night. I thought Mom would make me laugh after ACS was so depressing.

• Love 1

After the preview last week, I was so afraid they were going to kill off Marjorie. This isn't as depressing since Jodi hasn't been around long, and she has been kind of set up to fall from the beginning. But still, a gut punch, which this show does so deftly. 

I can't imagine how Christie will handle it when she realizes she blew Jodi off when she badly needed help. That was difficult to watch, as by that time it was obvious what was being set up. We've seen Bonnie relapse, but never Christie; wonder if this will do it?

• Love 1

I like that the show reminded us that they're all living on the edge of disaster - that's what gives the show its heart, and as characters move longer into sobriety other shows centered on recovering addicts (I'm thinking specifically of THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW, the first season of which until this was the most real depiction I've ever seen on TV of this kind of thing) tend to say, "Oh, well, they're fine now, let's move on to a lighter touch". This is the reality.

However, in the midst of that, I had to pause the show to look at the bridal shower scene. Screen filled with seven women, four of them over 40, two more over 30, each one an interesting and distinctive character. That by itself is such a joy.

• Love 12

That was just amazing. Between Total Eclipse of the Heart on the way up to Canada, Wendy's peeing antics, the barrel of maple syrup that they could've just backed the car up to (!!!), I was laughing non stop. And then... the open grief in the car. The impromptu AA meeting and serenity prayer. I was bawling. This show is amazing. Why it isn't more popular, I don't know.

LOL @ Jill revealing their trip on Instagram, and superlol @ Bonnie barging in with the cash in front of Marjoirie.

• Love 12
However, in the midst of that, I had to pause the show to look at the bridal shower scene. Screen filled with seven women, four of them over 40, two more over 30, each one an interesting and distinctive character. That by itself is such a joy.

You know, I never thought I'd be thankful that Two and a Half Men existed for so long on CBS, but that we get this show and what you described above wendyg, makes me reluctantly grateful that Lorre had enough power to get this show on the air and keep it going.  And I credit Lorre with saying he wanted to "atone", if you will, for prior shows by fully embracing this show and its messages.

I'd comment more often here, but the comments would be quite boring as I'd just repeat over and over how well-done and wonderful this show is.

• Love 3

Infrequent viewer here.  Can someone please tell me who Jodi was? I am familiar with all of the other characters except her.  Still, that was quite a poignant episode. Thank you!

Jody appeared for only a couple episodes. She was a young drug and alcohol addict that Christy was sponsoring.

I'll admit it - I'm not sure it would have occurred to me to back the car up to the barrel, either.

I was absolutely amazed that the plan worked out for them. Especially after they mentioned that they each had to put in $500.

On virtually any other sitcom, it would have ended disastrously - partially because the networks are reluctant to show characters being rewarded for illegal behavior. But this is a show that recognizes that justice doesn't always prevail, and life is complicated.

• Love 8

I'll admit it - I'm not sure it would have occurred to me to back the car up to the barrel, either.

As a woman living alone and strong man-free, I was eye-rolly.  That car would have been backed into position while the kegger was still hanging in the air.  And since the friendly request was ineffective (rare) Step Three would have been a nice crisp $10 bill for each of those burly men.   Turns out  "Here.  Let me buy you a six-pack to say thanks."  can get mountains moved.

Ah, the knowledge that comes with aging. . . BLEH!

Edited by candall
  • Love 8

How can it really be that profitable to re-sell maple syrup? It's not as if it's a huge commodity in demand when you can go to any grocery store and buy it, genuinely "Canadian" or not. I kind of thought the whole thing was silly. Plus now they have to shell out the extra bucks for individual containers. 

• Love 2

Infrequent viewer here.  Can someone please tell me who Jodi was? I am familiar with all of the other characters except her.  Still, that was quite a poignant episode. Thank you!

Like MariMitch said, Jodi was a young drug addict that Christy was sponsoring.  Christy and Bonnie were trying to convince Marjorie's future sister in law to attend her wedding when Jodi called Christy, which we now know was for help.  Christy didn't let her talk, just said she was busy and she'd call her back later.  Well, when she finally remembered to call back later it was too late, and Jodi had overdosed.  So now Christy is shouldering all of that guilt.

I was absolutely amazed that the plan worked out for them. Especially after they mentioned that they each had to put in $500.

On virtually any other sitcom, it would have ended disastrously - partially because the networks are reluctant to show characters being rewarded for illegal behavior. But this is a show that recognizes that justice doesn't always prevail, and life is complicated.

I have to admit, it only occurred to me half-way through the rolling, and then I was like...wait...can't they just drive...?

I am surprised they didn't just ask Jamie Pressley's character to front all the money and everyone else would just take a smaller cut since she has so much money.

This episode struck a chord in me bc I also have a mole in an embarrassing place and I'm dragging my feet to see the dermatologist. However, I was very surprised; a malignancy is never just taken this lightly. How does the dr even know he got all of it? A malignancy is treated seriously; the patient has to go for CAT scans, bloodwork, etc, to make sure the cancer didnt spread anywhere. Just a biopsy doesnt tell if a person is cancer free. The biopsy just tells whether it's benign or whether further action should be taken (i.e.: Malignancy). am I wrong?

• Love 3
(edited)

The doctor did point out it was a free clinic.  I've had one checked (nothing) and another removed (also nothing) due to location and appearance.  Both times the doctors checked the rest of my body.  When it was removed, it had good margins and he said they checked those spots as well.  I'm wondering if, in Bonnie's case, the mole itself was cancerous, but the edges showed it hadn't spread - therefore it was removed completely.  After that, I think you monitor, not treat.  Especially when finances drive your choices.

But, I got my degree from Web-MD and ER.

Are they still sharing a room, or is Christy downstairs.  I was wondering about the sock on the door. 

Edited by MommaBee
  • Love 1

I've never understood what Candace sees in Baxter, and I've never really bought the idea that she did such a great job of cleaning him up. He was an itinerant stoner living out of his van and presumably never had a real job besides selling drugs. How on earth did Candace ever even meet him let alone turn him into something resembling upstanding? I have residual good will towards Matt Jones from Breaking Bad but I preferred when Baxter was just that guy who hung around sometimes getting stoned and embarrassing Christy.

• Love 2

Honestly I would love to see flashbacks of their marriage.

I would too, sorta... but on the other hand I'm not sure I want to see it.

I'm surprised the Baxter plot resolved itself in one episode. I'm glad they didn't drag it out.

I've never understood what Candace sees in Baxter, and I've never really bought the idea that she did such a great job of cleaning him up. He was an itinerant stoner living out of his van and presumably never had a real job besides selling drugs. How on earth did Candace ever even meet him let alone turn him into something resembling upstanding? I have residual good will towards Matt Jones from Breaking Bad but I preferred when Baxter was just that guy who hung around sometimes getting stoned and embarrassing Christy.

That is the thing about Baxter. He was the "good" parent. Then again the bar was sent pretty low. From the stories told Baxter is painted in a fairly good light for an out of work stoner. He was at least around for both Christys kids which at times Christy wasn't.

Which is again why I want flashbacks.

It would make for some darky funny scenes.

• Love 3

I have residual good will towards Matt Jones from Breaking Bad but I preferred when Baxter was just that guy who hung around sometimes getting stoned and embarrassing Christy.

Hee, I've just started watching Breaking Bad, so it's like I'm seeing Baxter's misspent youth, when he was known as "Badger."

GIGANTIC stroke of luck that Baxter and Christy both realize that Baxter's looking for an opportunity to backslide into his comfortable stoner ways.  Would not have wanted to struggle through that six-episode arc.

• Love 1

Wow, that was an incredible episode. I'm upset that they spoiled next week. (Unless I didnt notice that particular detail about Adam as he looked through the door of the restaurant.)

I didn't see the preview for next week so I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but in the episode you could see that Adam 

was in a wheelchair

when he was looking into the restaurant.

I use a chair part time and I can say definitively that people will behave in all sorts of stupid ways around chair-users. Not everyone, but many people.

Canes, too. One time I was sitting, with my cane next to me. When I began trying to stand up, a bystander actually reached over, grabbed my cane away from me, and then claimed she was trying to help! I have no idea how she thought grabbing my cane, yanking it out of my hand when I was in the process of placing it on the ground to lever myself up was going to help me, but in case anyone is thinking of trying this move, I assure you NO ONE finds it helpful.

My guess is that she thought I was moving too slowly and in her mind she thought the cane was slowing me down rather than that it was actually enabling me to attempt the maneuver at all.

Either way: don't grab people or their stuff unless they explicitly give you permission to do so. Good rule of thumb for all situations. Doesn't matter if it's their wallet, their arm, their mobility equipment, or anything else. Just don't touch people or their stuff.

Also: minding one's own business is generally the best approach to situations with people you don't know well. If you see someone in obvious distress and you want to be helpful, ask if the person needs help, let them define what would be helpful, and just don't do anything they don't identify as helpful. This applies to disabled as well as non-disabled people.

I'm sure not everyone needs this spelled out for them, but enough do that I found the show's restaurant scene completely credible.

• Love 6

I'm sure not everyone needs this spelled out for them, but enough do that I found the show's restaurant scene completely credible.

There have been times that I've wondered if asking if someone wanted help would be insulting or not, so that's good to know.

• Love 1