Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E03: Hometown Glory (1)

• Start Topic

I'm not really sure I understand the critique of Tamar's dance in the Previously TV review. 

If Val choreographed the dance where the sisters were equal to Tamar, the troupe members would have totally stole the spotlight from Tamar. Tamar is the contestant that we're voting for at the end of the day not the troupe/her sisters. I think the sisters get that. 

• Love 3
Obligatory shot of her hugging an employee.

Who just soooo coincidentally happened to be a POC.  So that's twice; it still could be accidental.  Generally ABC/Disney only participates in these types of re-branding games if they have a stake in it.  Is Paula about to host some ABC talk show or something?

• Love 1

Gary, bless his heart. I got something in my eye. I feel bad for him and his brain injury, but that dance made me feel joy for him. Anna.... no words... awesome. ANNA!

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

I haven't watched this show in years, so forgive me if I am missing something that changed somewhere.... didn't it used to be that each week everyone did the same type of dance? Foxtrot, samba, whatever? Why are they all mixed up now? How can you judge a foxtrot against a hiphop or jive?

• Love 9

Gary, bless his heart. I got something in my eye. I feel bad for him and his brain injury, but that dance made me feel joy for him. Anna.... no words... awesome. ANNA!

I actually would not mind if Gary went further than a few other better dancers (Alexa, Andy, Hayes) He has a good attitude and although he is approximately 2 nuggets short of a 20 piece he seems like a genuinely nice guy who is at least trying. I hate the "I'm a horrible dancer so I will just use my shtick every week to get by" (Cloris Leachman, Tommy Chong)

• Love 1

Yes, I've like him a lot more than I thought I would. He seems to be trying really hard and he has great chemistry with Anna. Good for him!

• Love 3

Two dances this early is brutal. I have no idea what the producers were thinking. And Carrie Ann--again--gives a bizarre overly high score. Bindi's routine deserved the "8" that Julianne and Bruno gave. (Unless the cynics are right and Derek is supposed to get an "edge", but it would be too obvious from his sister.) Derek's great, I really enjoy what he does, but I can't deny there's favoritism there. I think he's the only one who producers feel is THAT integral to the success of the show. But CA's "9" in week 2 was still off.

As for Keo, I like the idea of having an AA man as a pro, but they need to have someone other than Keo. His ego is just all over the place even after three seasons. I'm certain Chaka Khan could have lasted longer with someone else (Tristan, for example).  And I still can't stand Allison's choreography. They really need to get rid of both of them imo, they've had their chances and just don't live up to what's needed. 

Anna, on the other hand, has done the impossible for me and made me root a bit for her and Gary. Nice job!

• Love 2

I haven't watched this show in years, so forgive me if I am missing something that changed somewhere.... didn't it used to be that each week everyone did the same type of dance? Foxtrot, samba, whatever? Why are they all mixed up now? How can you judge a foxtrot against a hiphop or jive?

Some couples would do a Latin and the others would dance a standard ballroom dance. That's how I remember it.

• Love 1

didn't it used to be that each week everyone did the same type of dance? Foxtrot, samba, whatever?

They used to have two dances every week, I think, often one Latin and one ballroom. So, for example, half the contestants would do a Paso and the other half a quickstep. I thought that was a good way to do it because it was easier to compare the dancers to each other, but there was enough variety to not be boring. Now there are too many different things happening each week, and I think the inclusion of contemporary and jazz only makes it worse because many of the pros aren't that great at either style and also it feels too much like there's a freestyle routine each week. It makes the freestyle in the finale kind of pointless.

• Love 9

Tamar leaves me cold, too.  I know nothing about the family other than seeing them on Celebrity Feud.  They did not come across as compelling people!  ugh

I don't get riled up about the wonky scoring or Derrick being favored.  I like him; he and Macs are my favorite male pros.  

A good dancer always wins so if they leave out of their skill order, that is okay, too.  I enjoyed Master P working Len up into a lather.  That was good TV!  

Paula may be the one who will stay and knock out better dancers.  I think she has a large fan base of those who want to see her make a come back.  And they probably didn't think the things she said were bad either.  Oy

I did a lot of FFing and stopped to watch the good ones and the train wrecks.   

Beyond question, the story of this ep was the majority use of source (original) music!  Happily, Sinatra's Chicago wasn't butchered, either.

I liked the use of original source material except for one thing - many of those songs had no real ending (for example, Don't Stop Believin' fades, repeating the chorus) so the endings to the dances that used those songs just seemed really abrupt without the band to create a real ending. It threw me off.

The high point of the episode for me was Chaka replying "Because it's *called* Chicago!" in response to the question about what the song choice had to do with her hometown. She tempered the eye roll, but her voice was fully underscored with "duh."

That part made me laugh because it was a definitely "duh" question, but I do think that the person asking the question was trying to get her to say something nostalgic about the song and how it relates to her experience growing up in Chicago. She was giving kind of brief answers, and I think that was their poorly worded attempt to get her to expound upon her "I grew up in Chicago so I chose Chicago as my song" answer. I think they just wanted her to give a little more. Sadly, I think that was the problem with her dancing as well. Along with forgetting the steps, she just didn't really seem to give of herself or dive into the dances. Her personality didn't shine through. I'm sad we won't get to see her reach that.

Of course she is going to win; it's been a while that Derek and his entitled ass have been deprived of the trophy.

Didn't he lose the last two? (Witney and Alfonso won, and then Val and Rumer? Both of whom I loved.) I know two "years" isn't a long time, but it's not like he's winning every single season.

One thing I love about Bindi: no matter how many times the producers ask her about her dad, no matter how many times her dad gets brought up by the judges or Tom or Erin (which seems like they're TRYING to make her cry so they can get that big emotional story to use -- *sigh*), Bindi is just so positive and joy-filled that she doesn't crack under their constant pushing about the subject. As Kim said in the recap/review:

I like how Bindi brings up her dad so naturally; you don't feel like she’s fishing for pity, just that he's so much a part of her life and on her mind that she talks about him just like she talks about her mom and brother.

She doesn't get all worked up (not that there's anything wrong with being emotional about the loss of one's parent or loved one), and she just seems genuinely happy to talk about him, or not talk about him.

• Love 6

Didn't he lose the last two? (Witney and Alfonso won, and then Val and Rumer? Both of whom I loved.) I know two "years" isn't a long time, but it's not like he's winning every single season.

Not only did he not win, but he got 4th place the last 2 seasons, then season 18 he got 2nd with Amy..and yes all 3 of those seasons the usual "this season is rigged for Derek to win again" talk occurred. IMO even his 5 wins isnt all that redundant when you consider the show is in its 21st season. 

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 1

I agree with a lot that has been said.  Two dances is too much to learn on the second week.  You need to get rid of some people like Victor, Chaka, and others that are already having a difficult time learning one dance.

Chaka seems like a very nice lady.  I love her smile and attitude.  Keo is a great dancer but he is always showboating at the beginning of the dances.  He needs to make his contestants relax and memorize their routines better.

Andy was a mess.  Allison and Andy's timing was so off from the music.  Her dances are so frantic anyway.  Like I mentioned last season, Riker made Allison look good.  Unfortunately, Andy is not a ringer.  However, just like Jonathan, I think he has the potential to be decent or middle of the pack.

Last week, I didn't notice that the camera went to a POC after Paula danced.  This week, I definitely noticed that she hugged an employee that was a POC.  Don't know if it was planned or just something that she normally does.  However, I did notice that she didn't hug any of her other employees.  At least, I didn't notice any crass comments this week and I did like how they fixed her hair.

Alexa was better but their dance seemed a little frantic.  It was on time unlike Andy's dance though.  Bindi should not have received a 9 from Carrie Ann.  I actually preferred her dance last week more.  Alek was a forklift but I love his personality.  Anna is doing a great job so far.  Gary is having fun and he is really trying to entertain people.  Nick needs to get out of his head.  Tamar is a good dancer but I think she and Val don't get along.  They're both too head strong and I think their personalities clash.

• Love 1

Len's head must have been spinning with all that"messing around". And then the actual dance was SO short! And some of the stars danced in tennis shoes? Is that acceptable for the jive?

Seemed so fairer in the golden olden days when half danced ballroom and half Latin then they switched and then someone was voted off!

I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and thought Derek's dance was a quick step! Tango, where was the soft and hard contrast?

I miss my show, but have been for quite a few seasons......

• Love 1

After season 1 the only winners were Cheryl, Julianne, Derek and Mark (seasons 2 thru 6; then Derek won season 7 and Mark again in season 8) until Kim broke their streak in season 9. No one complained the show was "rigged" back then

My take-away from last night is that I LOVE Carlos! Great dancer with no hype, no overinflated scores (IMO) or grating personality. And a pro that I don't care about one way or another. I just like him and his dancing. Occasionally the show will do this - make me care about a contestant I'd never heard of before. Nice surprise.

I wanted to like Andy but last night's dance was not good. It was too fast for him and Alison was frantically dancing around him. He needs a partner who will simplify things.

• Love 1

After season 1 the only winners were Cheryl, Julianne, Derek and Mark (seasons 2 thru 6; then Derek won season 7 and Mark again in season 8) until Kim broke their streak in season 9. No one complained the show was "rigged" back then

Oh I'm sure a few did. Some will always see conspiracies. It just wasn't as loud because Derek hadn't gone on and won 5 times.

• Love 1

Not only did he not win, but he got 4th place the last 2 seasons, then season 18 he got 2nd with Amy..and yes all 3 of those seasons the usual "this season is rigged for Derek to win again" talk occurred. IMO even his 5 wins isnt all that redundant when you consider the show is in its 21st season. 

I agree, if they are rigging it for him to win they're doing a bad job lol. I think they want him to stay around to the end but I don't think they care so much if he actually wins or not.

• Love 2

The show needs to stop trying to make Keo happen. Especially when Sasha is right there.

A thousand amens!! I loooovvvvve Sasha! How could one not! He's always happy, always grinning, always peppy, always having fun! The perfect pro. Who has never been given another chance. By these PTB who are generally screwing things up in every way possible. So what else is new?

A thousand amens!! I loooovvvvve Sasha! How could one not! He's always happy, always grinning, always peppy, always having fun! The perfect pro. Who has never been given another chance. By these PTB who are generally screwing things up in every way possible. So what else is new?

Chaka is also short.  She didn't need a tall pro like Keo.  Sasha also helped a lot last season with Derek and Nastia's situation.

I'm openminded about Keo because, like Ari said, I still haven't seen enough of his abilities with an able partner to judge. But yes, Sasha is awesome and we've seen that him in place of Golden Boy makes things just as good, if not better.

• Love 2

Oh, Sasha! I'd forgotten but he'd be a great choice and imo really deserves a chance after playing second fiddle for Derek last season (I understand why Derek wanted to make sure everyone understood that injury or not, he was committed to his partner. But it made Sasha's talent largely overlooked.  He deserves the chance as a pro. Keo's had his chance 3xs and it's just not happening.)

I think Artem would have been great with Chaka. (Yes I'm still bitter he's not on this season)

I think Tamar and Val have zero chemistry, just none. And they are both hot, but it just doesn't click between them so I find myself bored.

Poor Andy, I want him to do well, but knew he'd be in trouble once he got paired with the worst pro. Cannot understand why Allison is there. She's so frenetic.

Of the marrieds, I think Carlos is clearly superior. Alexa was better this week but she reeked of desperation so it was a bit off putting. She needs to chill.

I read online about how great Alex was but I thought he barely moved. I like him though so I hope he improves.

I never want to think about that sombrero joke ever again. Just no.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 1

Is it just me or does Allison not choreograph to the piece of music she's given? That jive was way too busy for that piece of music, and it never stop, but there are definite pauses in the music.

This show is quite bad for dances looking similar but Allison is really the worst for it, and they're all at the same tempo.

• Love 1

I'm openminded about Keo because, like Ari said, I still haven't seen enough of his abilities with an able partner to judge. But yes, Sasha is awesome and we've seen that him in place of Golden Boy makes things just as good, if not better.

I like Keo and I like that with him on board, the pro cast is not so totally white.... and I say that as a pastey pale white person. :) (I hope it is ok and PC to say that.) Plus I think he is a great dancer. Maybe he needs some pointers on teaching. IDK.

And thanks, Anonymiss, for calling me Ari. I didn't want to add the 333 but that's how it got accepted when signing up, so there's that.  

I, too, got tired of the short jokes on Victor. Sheesh. Sorry to see him go. Did he maybe have a little crush on Karina? If so, I cant blame him. I'm a chick, but I love me some Karina. Glad she is back. Speaking of coming back... I miss Cheryl.

• Love 1

Keo, I love to watch you dance. But three early outs in as many seasons? I hate to say it, but tt's not them ... it's you.

I definitely blame the stars more than Keo.  Lolo was fit and athletic and might've made a good run if she hadn't gotten defensive with the judges that first week.  I think that turned off a lot of potential voters.  Charlotte was stiff and more than likely wouldn't have gotten better with any pro.  Plus, she was . . . a model.  Not exactly someone who'd draw in a large number of fans.  And of course, Chaka was all-around bad since she couldn't remember the steps to save herself.