Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Satellite of Love

Artsda

The new Director of Homeland Security reunites the team when a nuclear powered Russian satellite is knocked out of orbit and must be diverted before it detonates over Southern California. Also, Paige and Walter must face their feelings for each other after hospital footage reveals Paige kissed him, on the second season premiere of SCORPION.

This show is unrealistic and silly, but I'm one watching it for the cast and characters. Yeah, I'm in for season 2.

The weather balloon scene was particularly hilarious.

I liked the new boss up until the scene at the end, but she still has potential.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 3

I liked the new boss up until the scene at the end, but she still has potential.

Seeing her made me miss Forever. Kept waiting for Abe and Henry to rush in and save the day. She does have chemistry with the rest of the cast though. 

I don't feel the chemistry between Happy and Smart-ass hat (Toby?) guy at all. 

I started watching over the summer, I'm in for the season! 

• Love 4

Any one of those potential solutions to the falling satellite problem would have made for gripping TV.  Unfortunately, they tried them all during the course of the single episode, which seemed completely ridiculous and unbelievable.  We viewers are not infants; we can sit still and watch a suspenseful show without the need to throw a lot of shiny new things at us randomly.

As noted above, the special effects on this show are unbelievably lame.  Scorpion has a great cast and a killer premise.  I wish they'd calm down and give us some decent, believable, and engaging episodes.

PS- I noticed they FINALLY cut out the bit where Walter announces his IQ every 5 minutes.  Thank you!

• Love 4

There was a potential storyline last night that they could have gone which would make this whole thing interesting (at least to me), if they weren't hell bent on just resetting the button as to how to hack that satellite. When DoD members came storming pointing their guns at Homeland Security Director and Sly, I thought for awhile that either New Director was doing something sinister, hired Scorpion to help her out with her sinister operation, and DoD caught her before it was too late, OR that DoD was going to shut down the operation completely since New Director found out, with the help of Walter, that it wasn't space debris that threw off the satellite, but a deliberate hacking attempt by the US government (as far as I can recall), and that the US government wants it to crash onto US soil and blame Russia and start a war. But that little sequence that could turned out to be a whole pile of nothing. I was disappointed.

Oh, Scorpion.  You really haven't change, have you?

For most shows, a nuclear satellite hurling towards the planet would be goofy enough.  But, of course, with this show, they have to top it by having the endgame being Walt and Paige go up in an air ballon and defeat it (with science!), all while working out their "issues."  Hope this is just an appetizer and next season's premiere will be the main course, where an actual astroid is heading its way to Earth, and Team Scorpion has to go full-Armageddon, and fly a ship onto the rock and use science to break it!

Always great to see Alana De La Garza, even I would have thought the Head of Homeland Security would be older.  I guess they were looking for new blood!  And, apparently someone who has no issues chewing out the President.

Anytime we get an episode with both Paige/Walter and Happy/Toby stuff, I'm just amazed that, while I'm not a huge fan of either, the latter is way more tolerable, despite less development.  Maybe that's because there is much less focus on them.  Or maybe it's because I just like the characters better.  Either way, Toby/Happy at least make he chuckle every now and then, while Walter/Paige just bore me.  Go ahead and just date, you two: for my sake and Team Scorpion's.  I'm sure they have better things to do then listen to you two.

Boo to getting a silly Gene Simmons cameo and not having Cabe deck him.  At the very least, every episode of Scorpion needs to have Robert Patrick punch someone!

• Love 2

Anytime we get an episode with both Paige/Walter and Happy/Toby stuff, I'm just amazed that, while I'm not a huge fan of either, the latter is way more tolerable, despite less development.  Maybe that's because there is much less focus on them.  Or maybe it's because I just like the characters better.  Either way, Toby/Happy at least make he chuckle every now and then, while Walter/Paige just bore me.  Go ahead and just date, you two: for my sake and Team Scorpion's.  I'm sure they have better things to do then listen to you two.

Happy/Toby actually feels like it's moving somewhere, whereas Paige/Walter are going around in circles and their relationship drama has been interfering with their mission this time around making it more annoying than usual.

Oh, Scorpion.  You really haven't change, have you?

Pretty much, only with a new added HS dir. this time around, but even then it's pretty much the same thing as usual.

• Love 1

Seeing her made me miss Forever. Kept waiting for Abe and Henry to rush in and save the day. She does have chemistry with the rest of the cast though. 

Oh, you made me sad because I forgot that show was canceled. It was great.

I don't feel the chemistry between Happy and Smart-ass hat (Toby?) guy at all.

You mean Shitbrick? Sorry, he will always be Finch from American Pie for me and nothing else. Yes, his name is Toby. I definitely like Toby/Happy more than Walter/Paige. W/P's constant misunderstandings have reached farcical lengths to avoid getting them together. Now I roll my eyes instead of rooting for them.

• Love 2

… whereas Paige/Walter are going around in circles and their relationship drama has been interfering with their mission this time around making it more annoying than usual.

Now I roll my eyes instead of rooting for them.

I can't help but wonder if part of that is on McPhee. Lots of times I get the feeling that she's saying her lines, but that she doesn't know how to act them. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 1

Goofy and unbelievable and kind of fun.  Gilligan's Island meets the A team.  

The balloon scene looked like something out of a 1950s movie.  

This. I almost expected to see Phileas Fogg emerge from the balloon.

W/P's constant misunderstandings have reached farcical lengths to avoid getting them together.

It's even more annoying now that it gets in the way of their mission in this episode, it was already bad enough they've been going around in circles.

This. I almost expected to see Phileas Fogg emerge from the balloon.

Which would have been awesome on this show.  I was laughing at any balloon/satellite/missile scenes.  Seriously, what is their effects budget?  $3.99 per episode?

Welcome back Scorpion, you ridiculous show.  Luckily for me Zoo doesn't have any more episodes, not sure I could take all that goofiness in one season.

Intentionally funny parts though - Paige falling off her chair, "That's a wrinkle" when Walter drops his parachute. 

I agree that Toby/Happy feels more natural then Walter/Paige; they're pulling out all the rom-com stops with them - embarrassing speeches overhead by friends, embarassing videos seen by same, being thrown together on a job, having to be in close physical proximity with the parachute, awkward kissing, blah blah but they can't be together.  Yawn.

I like the Walter/Cabe relationship best.

Always great to see Alana De La Garza, even I would have thought the Head of Homeland Security would be older.

Can't have her too old, I assume she's a possible love interest for Cabe.  It would have been fun if Cabe decked Gene Simmons. 

I do like the cast together, so here I am, yay Scorpion!

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

I agree that Toby/Happy feels more natural then Walter/Paige; they're pulling out all the rom-com stops with them - embarrassing speeches overhead by friends, embarassing videos seen by same, being thrown together on a job, having to be in close physical proximity with the parachute, awkward kissing, blah blah but they can't be together.  Yawn.

Exactly, that's also what makes it forced and cringeworthy to watch those moments.

My favorite show to hate-watch (since Covert Affairs is cancelled) is back!

When DoD members came storming pointing their guns at Homeland Security Director and Sly, I thought for awhile that either New Director was doing something sinister, hired Scorpion to help her out with her sinister operation, and DoD caught her before it was too late, OR that DoD was going to shut down the operation completely since New Director found out, with the help of Walter, that it wasn't space debris that threw off the satellite, but a deliberate hacking attempt by the US government (as far as I can recall), and that the US government wants it to crash onto US soil and blame Russia and start a war. But that little sequence that could turned out to be a whole pile of nothing. I was disappointed.

US sent one of their satellites to hit the Russian satellite.

I am glad this show us back. Let's admit we do not watch for the realism, I watch because its campy fun and I like the cast. Did not miss Ralph or Drew, don't really care where they are.

If there is a romantic pairing I hope it's Happy and Toby, they have much better chemistry. Or maybe that's just me because I like their characters better than Paige and Walter.

• Love 1

Or maybe that's just me because I like their characters better than Paige and Walter.

It's both, but their characters are more tolerable when they're not stuck with their romance scenes.

• Love 1

When Walter was mumbling keyboard strokes to Paige that included "back slash," I was first worried that she would type a forward slash--then I was annoyed that they even included that in the commands without some further clarification in the dialog, because the odds of her typing it correctly are close to none. When the command didn't go through, I was seriously expecting Walt to look at what she had typed say it was because she typed a forward slash instead of a backslash, but I guess that would've disrupted their love vibe.

When they first started talking about have to get physically close to the satellite to reprogram it, did anyone else start having flashbacks to last season's silliness with Paige driving the car? This season she got upgraded to a weather balloon.

Did not miss Ralph or Drew, don't really care where they are...

I hope they continue to have Drew exist off-screen-only as a babysitter for Ralph. And I hope any appearances Ralph makes will have him contribute to the team IQ.

*Sorry to use the IQ word.*

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
Can't have her too old, I assume she's a possible love interest for Cabe.

According to IMDB Robert Patrick is in his mid-50s, Alana De La Garza is 39. If the showrunners did want her as a love interest for Cabe, shame on them for perpetuating the trope of the older guy and the very attractive much younger woman. I know that such age differences do end up together occasionally in real life, but it's frustrating that tv is generally so terrified to show women over 40 as love interests or strong characters.

I'm puzzled by the stuntcasting of Gene Simmons. While I'm grateful he was on and off the screen quickly, it seemed utterly pointless to bring him in instead of casting an unknown to play a douchey actor.

• Love 2

I'm puzzled by the stuntcasting of Gene Simmons. While I'm grateful he was on and off the screen quickly, it seemed utterly pointless to bring him in instead of casting an unknown to play a douchey actor.

Puzzled is the word. Why???? Is it supposed to be comic relief?--the idea of casting him, not GS himself, who does not amuse. Or did someone in casting think GS is popular with geeks? Jim Parsons would have made more sense. Or William Shatner.

but it's frustrating that tv is generally so terrified to show women over 40 as love interests or strong characters.

Very true, and my comment was semi-sarcastic.  Women over 50 don't have relationships or sex on TV, unless you're Jessica Lange.  It's only my speculation about her and Cabe, I could be off base. 

I knew that was Gene Simmons but didn't wonder about it until you guys did, LOL.  Maybe he's a fan?  I did some lazy searching and didn't come up with much but did find this pic of him & Robert Patrick.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 4:40 PM, Gregg247 said:

Any one of those potential solutions to the falling satellite problem would have made for gripping TV.

"We need to catch the satellite in a giant baseball mitt!"

"To absorb that much velocity, the mitt would have to be... Sylvester?"

"17.23 metres square!"

"OK, how do we build a mitt that size in the 213 seconds we've got, Happy?"

"I've got an idea!"

...let's face it, it wouldn't be much more ridiculous!

(And I miss Forever, too)

• Love 2