Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: I Don't Date, I Mate

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Rocky uses her mermaid tail to entice Dean and his guests into the sea; Leon claims to have worked on a cruise ship; Eddie's long-distance relationship begins to flounder; Emile decides to take Rocky out on an unforgettable date.

That was the most awkward "date" I've ever witnessed.  One minute Rocky talks like she's into him and acts like it, and then the next minute she is talking about and acts like she wouldn't think twice about being into Emile.  Make up your damn psychotic mind!  (I personally don't see what's attractive about either of them, so there's that.)  Also, what was up with the "finger in the electric socket" hairdo she was sporting for the date?  Not flattering in the least.

Also, I can no longer tolerate watching her talking heads; I just want to punch her in the face in the hopes that it will FORCE her to LOOK AT THE CAMERA while speaking!

• Love 9

The Emile Rocky relationship could just be producer driven. One minute she says she's into Emile, then she says if Eddie didn't have a girlfriend she'd be all over him, then it looks like in the preview for next week that she's having her foot rubbed by the new deckhand. Maybe she's one of those girls that wants a guy and then once she gets him she goes to the next one. Either that, or it's just totally producer driven. Also, why can't Amy get some action? She seems so nice and sweet. I feel like I kind of relate to her in that way.

• Love 3

haha...rocky saying emille as "young and immature".....just wow.  not that i disagree, but you get the point.

and rocky, stay away from my eddie....

$500 for the comp?  that's pretty cheap......dude.  at least a thousand.  500 is like a quarter to the mega rich.

• Love 4

I enjoyed so much of this episode. Very greatly relieved that Rocky didn't actually flash everyone during the diving competition as the previews would have had us believe.  She was a ringer, sure, but it was still a pretty fun segment, I thought.  Felt bad for Amy, I wouldn't have been any more happy to leap from that high, either.  One wrong move and it's the belly or face flop that was heard around the world.

I loved Kate's Greek God/Monster rundown, too!  Very funny.  She's no dummy, I appreciate her wit.

Wen Amy was showing Rocky the proper ways to prepare a stateroom, and Rocky just zoned out and acted like she needed time to absorb the fact that she was just sentenced to life in prison was pretty annoying for me.  I guess she really, truly thought she could come aboard and just be "cute" and "wild" for the cameras, and that would be enough. Interestingly, the one and only time I thought oh, Rocky is really pretty, was when she had her hair pulled back and was just standing still with her mouth closed.  Most of the time it's like she opens up her whole face to talk and laugh, like a muppet head. She admits that she is "a lot", but I would appreciate her moment of self-awareness more if she didn't seem to think she's a lot of only great stuff.  I don't really blame her for being turned off by how drunk Emile got at dinner. I would have wanted to go ahead and part company ASAP, too, but I'm not sure I would have taken it to the extreme of laying on the deck floor until he went away.

I would have been okay with Eddie just doing a talking head to inform us that there are some problems in his relationship.  Having his conversation with Amy aired in all its painful glory was not enjoyable for me, and felt way too invasive.  I'm not too worried about Eddie.  If they do break up, he's certainly got a long enough line of women waiting to take her place, but going through this part of things is so hard and I hate that he had to see it unfold again on the show.

When whoever it was said Testicles was not a greek name, Kate and I both said, "It's pronounced TEST-IH-CLEESE!". Loved it!

The mermaid reveal was AMAZING, and had I been on that charter it would have been one of the best parts of the trip for me.  The light from the boat showed her perfectly, and the timing, thanks to Kate, was perfect.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 15

I enjoyed so much of this episode. Very greatly relieved that Rocky didn't actually flash everyone during the diving competition as the previews would have had us believe.  She was a ringer, sure, but it was still a pretty fun segment, I thought.  Felt bad for Amy, I wouldn't have been any more happy to leap from that high, either.  One wrong move and it's the belly or face flop that was heard around the world.

I loved Kate's Greek God/Monster rundown, too!  Very funny.  She's no dummy, I appreciate her wit.

Wen Amy was showing Rocky the proper ways to prepare a stateroom, and Rocky just zoned out and acted like she needed time to absorb the fact that she was just sentenced to life in prison was pretty annoying for me.  I guess she really, truly thought she could come aboard and just be "cute" and "wild" for the cameras, and that would be enough. Interestingly, the one and only time I thought oh, Rocky is really pretty, was when she had her hair pulled back and was just standing still with her mouth closed.  Most of the time it's like she opens up her whole face to talk and laugh, like a muppet head. She admits that she is "a lot", but I would appreciate her moment of self-awareness more if she didn't seem to think she's a lot of only great stuff.  I don't really blame her for being turned off by how drunk Emile got at dinner. I would have wanted to go ahead and part company ASAP, too, but I'm not sure I would have taken it to the extreme of laying on the deck floor until he went away.

I would have been okay with Eddie just doing a talking head to inform us that there are some problems in his relationship.  Having his conversation with Amy aired in all its painful glory was not enjoyable for me, and felt way too invasive.  I'm not too worried about Eddie.  If they do break up, he's certainly got a long enough line of women waiting to take her place, but going through this part of things is so hard and I hate that he had to see it unfold again on the show.

When whoever it was said Testicles was not a greek name, Kate and I both said, "It's pronounced TEST-IH-CLEESE!". Loved it!

The mermaid reveal was AMAZING, and had I been on that charter it would have been one of the best parts of the trip for me.  The light from the boat showed her perfectly, and the timing, thanks to Kate, was perfect.

Mmmmm - me and another poster love your recap times 1,000.  Are you available weekly?  Just asking!  We agree with every.single.thing.you.just.said.  :)

• Love 1

I'm going to choose to believe Rocky's just doing the producer's bidding.  Otherwise she's kind of a dick, for both the mixed signals and drinking happily along with him on the date then getting annoyed when he wound up drunk.  

I have to give it up to her, though, because she's really the only thing that I remember about this episode.  So, y'know, yay her.

• Love 2

The Emile Rocky relationship could just be producer driven. One minute she says she's into Emile, then she says if Eddie didn't have a girlfriend she'd be all over him, then it looks like in the preview for next week that she's having her foot rubbed by the new deckhand. Maybe she's one of those girls that wants a guy and then once she gets him she goes to the next one. Either that, or it's just totally producer driven. Also, why can't Amy get some action? She seems so nice and sweet. I feel like I kind of relate to her in that way.

I think she's just a tease. I can't stand her and if she stays all season I may stop watching, especially if it stays The Rocky Show like it has been so far.

I'm far from being a prude but do we really need to see her ass in every episode? I've seen people here talk about her being cute/attractive, having nice hair, whatever and I'm just not seeing it. I don't think there's anything cute about her and that stupid fake laugh of hers makes my ears hurt.

• Love 11

I think she's just a tease. I can't stand her and if she stays all season I may stop watching, especially if it stays The Rocky Show like it has been so far.

I'm far from being a prude but do we really need to see her ass in every episode? I've seen people here talk about her being cute/attractive, having nice hair, whatever and I'm just not seeing it. I don't think there's anything cute about her and that stupid fake laugh of hers makes my ears hurt.

She may have graduated from college but that just says she can study. The girl has issues and she looks and acts like she's got a screw loose. She doesn't even realize when people are laughing at her and not with her.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 7

I usually hesitate to apply clinical labels, not being a professional and all, and we only see edited snippets on these shows. But Rocky's behavior when listening to lengthy instructions and training reminds me of an adult relative who has severe ADHD. It's the same inability to stand still, focus, and tolerate a lengthy period of communication. Rocky gets really agitated and almost becomes unglued.

I enjoyed this episode because of the lighthearted moments. And Kate gave good TH. I also appreciate that there weren't any drunken idiots falling all over the place and pawing the staff.

I think Emile's sending mixed signals. He makes flirty provocative remarks but doesn't ever follow through.

When they messed up the bowline, Eddie immediately lost his composure and cast blame in the heat of the moment: "who was supposed to be taking care of that?" He has strong reactions to problems, and he'll have to calm down before he can handle his own boat. He also seemed to be trying to provoke a fight with his girlfriend - I think he's a drama queen.

I think Dan was already regretting his hasty behavior, before he'd left the boat.

Minimal Leon - works for me.

• Love 3

I also was wondering if Rocky might have ADHD. It just seems like she has all this energy and can't focus on anything for more than a short period of time. And add me to those who thought it was rather ironic when she called Emile "young and immature." Take a look in the mirror, girl!

I too enjoyed Kate's rundown of the cast and which Greek gods they would be. Leon as Cyclops because he "only sees things one way" is kind of brilliant.

I also agree with Maharincess, why they have to show either Rocky's ass or her getting dressed multiple times per episode. We don't see any of the others, male or female, nearly as much if they feel like showing that kind of thing. Presumably most of the audience is female, can't they show more Eddie and Emile? Maybe I'm wrong and there's a good male portion of viewers?

Edited by BogoGog24

I was really confused about the Emile/Rocky date. Both of them came off like they had no idea what they were doing.

Not enough Leon. Boo.

Don left before getting, what, a $2K tip? Idiot. I hope he looks back on this and realizes he should have just stuck it through.

• Love 1

I second your post.  Man, they are showing a lot of ass this season.  Not only did they show Rocky's ass again (sigh) in this episode but Connie's as well.  Looks like the show was edited by a 16-yr. old teenaged boy or something.  I'm no prude either.  Not a hater but, okay, we get it already!  Now if TPTB showed more shirtless Eddie ... 

• Love 5

My first thought about the skin-showing was that it was unbalanced - a lot of Rocky and then last night, Connie. Very little of the guys. 

I was reading a blog about how female production folks are treated by Hollywood (not good), which ties back to the comment above about teenage boy editing.

However, I'm wondering if Rocky is the only one who is cooperating with production's desire for exposed flesh - maybe the others want to be more professional and are refusing to flaunt that stuff in front of the cameras? Unlike Rocky and Kat? Emile kind of indicated he didn't like being pressured into exposing himself and being in the toga.

And, have we ever seen Kate with her bare arms and decollete exposed? She shows her legs but very little else (which is fine with me).

• Love 3

I am not believing the tips,  cash or the amounts.

Anyone have some insight into this?

Seems the engineers and mates are not included in tipping, and that even a high rollin' charter primary guest may not be toting along $20 "large".  Deckhand gets same amount as Bosun? 

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

And, have we ever seen Kate with her bare arms and decollete exposed? She shows her legs but very little else (which is fine with me).

Kate was shown in a bikini last season. It was during one of their days off and they were all on the beach. She is super thin but looked pretty good in that bikini. 

So is Emile going to turn out to be a bunny boiling stalker?  Rocky was totally turned off by the end of that date but I don't think he was understanding to back off. He's a weird one 

The charter may be gratis to the repeaters from seasons past like Slover so what he would normally pay is turned into tips for the crew.

Rocky is flashing the camera crew so much to garner attention that even though editors are just showing snippets, it seems excessive to fans of BD who are tired of Rocky's mugging for the camera.

Kate is propping up the show with her THs and  are the only thing keeping me viewing this train wreck season.

• Love 6

I feel like I also relate a lot to Capt. Lee's sentiment "I'd like someone to take ME out to dinner!" Bwah!

They should fly Mary Anne out and have her surprise him with a date night while all the kids stay on the boat. I suspect that would be a lot more entertaining than the Rocky/Emile trainwreck.

I also agree with Maharincess, why they have to show either Rocky's ass or her getting dressed multiple times per episode. We don't see any of the others, male or female, nearly as much if they feel like showing that kind of thing. Presumably most of the audience is female, can't they show more Eddie and Emile? Maybe I'm wrong and there's a good male portion of viewers?

The show's on Bravo, so we male viewers are mostly interested in seeing more of Eddie and Emile, just like the female viewers. (To be fair, we did see a lot of Don's body in the first three episodes. If only it didn't come with a pea-brain and toxic personality attached...)

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 7

Yeah, Don seemed to be shown shirtless a lot before he went all big baby and quit.

I just don't see the point of those bathing suits that expose the whole butt.  Especially a one-piece.  I don't really care about butts that much, though, so it's perplexing to me when people think they are something that should be showcased in public.  Can't everyone tell if you have a nice rear end even if the bathing suit covers the cheeks?  Is exposing the flesh that necessary? 

I wonder if Rocky's distaste for Emile on the date had anything to do with his "I don't date, I mate! Wine dine and 69!" comments.  Just because she's a free spirit or whatever doesn't mean she wouldn't find that kind of gross.  Or a lot gross.  I didn't even understand what he meant by he'd never been on a date because dates are for old people.  So, he just has one night stands exclusively because that's all people his age do?  Sounds like a fantastic way to pick up STDs.

• Love 7

I don't like Kate.  I don't think calling Leon "psycho" was correct.  A woman on Naked and Afraid got called a sociopath just because she didn't want to hang out with the group.

BUT,

I think Kate takes her job seriously.  Maybe it's not what she wishes she were doing now, but while she's there she's giving 110% and I like that.  I also think Kate is right about Rocky.  Rocky doesn't want to work, she just wants to party and have fun and she's using the job to do it.  

• Love 6

More like the Rocky "Horror" show.

That girl makes Kat seem sane and with it.

If I ever put on a bathing suit again I'd want one like connie's with the shark tutu. Did you guys notice how close Kate got to that metal pulley or anchor thing when she jumped in the ocean?

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 6

Yeah, Don seemed to be shown shirtless a lot before he went all big baby and quit.

I just don't see the point of those bathing suits that expose the whole butt. Especially a one-piece. I don't really care about butts that much, though, so it's perplexing to me when people think they are something that should be showcased in public. Can't everyone tell if you have a nice rear end even if the bathing suit covers the cheeks? Is exposing the flesh that necessary?

I wonder if Rocky's distaste for Emile on the date had anything to do with his "I don't date, I mate! Wine dine and 69!" comments. Just because she's a free spirit or whatever doesn't mean she wouldn't find that kind of gross. Or a lot gross. I didn't even understand what he meant by he'd never been on a date because dates are for old people. So, he just has one night stands exclusively because that's all people his age do? Sounds like a fantastic way to pick up STDs.

Yeah that was an odd comment. I guess by that logic Eddie is an old person since he dates his girlfriend. I'm a year younger than Emile and I've never thought of dating/dates as being "for old people."

• Love 3

So much happened on this episode that I almost forgot about Amy showing Rocky how to do a "harmonica" fold with the bedspread. I thought maybe that was a special kind of yacht way of folding, but eventually I figured out that she meant accordion fold.

I also thought, when Slovin asked Kate what the name of the bar was, as she was standing behind the yacht bar, that they must call it different names depending on the theme of the charter.  Like, this week the bar on the boat is called Swimmies, or whatever.  I felt pretty dumb when they showed the sign and it was for the bar on land.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I didn't enjoy the show last night. Too much of Rocky and her ceiling eyes. She is exhausting to watch. Can you imagine trying to have a serious conversation with her?

She is such a slacker on the job which leaves her workmates to pick up her jobs. But that's ok with her I guess.

Kate was right about one thing. The Greek God Narcissus fits her well.

• Love 8

I don't really care about Rocky's butt being shown throughout the show, but I tend not to care about that stuff in general. I also didn't think she was a tease. I've had crushes on people and once I got to know them in a dating capacity, realized that they definitely weren't my type. Maybe that's what happened with Rocky and why she didn't seem into Emile at the end. The '69' joke would have gotten the side-eye from me.

I am a little confused - how are the crew members chosen? Is it through a casting call? Or did Bravo just choose Captain Lee to follow and we happen to get the cast of characters we see?

I also was wondering if Rocky might have ADHD. It just seems like she has all this energy and can't focus on anything for more than a short period of time. And add me to those who thought it was rather ironic when she called Emile "young and immature." Take a look in the mirror, girl!

I too enjoyed Kate's rundown of the cast and which Greek gods they would be. Leon as Cyclops because he "only sees things one way" is kind of brilliant.

The camera man is an "ass man" and we've also had a few glimpses of Connie. Men are always gonna look even if they are a 101. It's in their hard wiring. My guy gets a pass when I see him copping a look, heck I'll even point one out for him. He knows not to touch.

Up thread Someone said Emil was sending mixed signals. If he is, he's not alone as that's all Rocky can send.  Her nicknames in my house are Dory and Crazy Eyes. Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles!

Edited by Giselle

I just started watching this morning, caught up on the shows and saw Rocky's ass three times. Okay then...

Rocky doesn't even make brief eye contact towards the camera. She shifts her eyes up and around the ENTIRE time she is talking. Talk about distracting and bizarre. I agree with the diagnosis of severe adult ADHD. She is a trip. I was shocked on that link someone posted it says she has three sisters and two brothers! I would have pegged her for a pampered only child. I am kind of thinking all of these siblings may be from multiple marriages but who knows?

Leon's food looks way yummier to me than anything Ben made. Honestly, I wasn't excited to see that Ben is coming back. He is so arrogant and serves his food two hours late regularly. His food never looked super-appetizing to me either. I don't really miss Kat though it is strange to see Below Deck without her. They needed some fresh faces on this show but I feel like they could do better "casting" jobs. Some of the people on here have been so lame. Adrienne? Gross. Sam? Bleh.  CJ? Not cute. Kelley and his fool-around girl (forgot her name)? Forgettable. I do like Amy a lot and think she is overlooked also.

Eddie-still a hottie

Kate has the demeanor of a 65 year old woman.

I love Captain Lee. I would love to hear the stories he tells at home with his family & friends about filming Below Deck. I can just hear his gruff laughter and see his rolling eyes, ha!

• Love 1

I also think Kate is right about Rocky.  Rocky doesn't want to work, she just wants to party and have fun and she's using the job to do it.  

I think the montage with Amy was ironclad proof of that. Maybe someone could be a decent worker in general and then get off on enough of a wrong foot with Kate's managerial style that every instruction from her seemed like a punishment, but Amy was super sweet and protective about taking Rocky under her wing and demonstrating how to do everything right. The only thing Rocky came onboard to work is the camera.

• Love 8

Rocky is flake city. At the tip portion of the show, when she practically slithered over Connie, it was disgusting.

As for drinking, she was the one making all the drinking decisions. Seriously, taking off your dress to jump in the water in just a teddy was gross.

• Love 4

Awwww Eddie. His girlfriend sounds like a bitch. And she cheated on him. He seems like a pretty stand up guy, he can do better.  He should go for Amy. She has a crush on him, I think they would make a cute couple. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4

Team Kate all day! I'm a snarky gal myself and I understand how it comes off the wrong way with people sometimes. She also gives good TH.

I agree that Rocky, at minimum, might have ADHD (no judgment, I have it too). I was also concerned about her severe mood swings in the past couple episodes where she was crying to her Dad about Kate being mean to her and saying, "then I don't even want to live!" I get drama queens, but that crying jag seemed a bit beyond.

Emile. Oh, Emile. I think he's used to hooking up, and so he thinks dating is for the olds. He's cute and probably gets a lot of girls, but ... can I just say he seems like he'd be terrible in bed? In fact, I'm sure of it. (No, I don't know him, LOL.) So he might have a lot of one-night-stands/hookups, but not too many callbacks.

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 6

Awwww Eddie. His girlfriend sounds like a bitch. And she cheated on him. He seems like a pretty stand up guy, he can do better.  He should go for Amy. She has a crush on him, I think they would make a cute couple.

Yeah I honestly don't get it either. Who'd be crazy enough to cheat on a decent guy like Eddie? And he and Amy would be cute together.

• Love 1

This show for the most part makes me smile while I'm watching it. It's just summer fluff and scenery porn.

Rocky! Look at the interviewer! Please!! It is very distracting! Other than that, I pretty much like her. She's harmless. Love Kate and Amy. I think Kate is pretty funny. And I think she's very good at the job.

Sorry about Eddie's fight with girlfriend....didn't like that.

Emile just seems very immature. He's pretty clueless actually.

• Love 2

Yeah I honestly don't get it either. Who'd be crazy enough to cheat on a decent guy like Eddie? And he and Amy would be cute together.

I think having a long-distance relationship may complicate things. (Mind you, personally I think a long-distance relationship with a funny, smoking hot guy would be the ideal situation, but I gather most people want more togetherness.)

• Love 3

I didn't enjoy the show last night. Too much of Rocky and her ceiling eyes. She is exhausting to watch. Can you imagine trying to have a serious conversation with her?

She is such a slacker on the job which leaves her workmates to pick up her jobs. But that's ok with her I guess.

Kate was right about one thing. The Greek God Narcissus fits her well.

I totally agree on too much Rocky but I did enjoy the show.  And she is so exhausting to watch. 

What 'is' Rocky looking at in her TH's?  Is there something we don't know?  God, it's so annoying.

• Love 1

I think having a long-distance relationship may complicate things. (Mind you, personally I think a long-distance relationship with a funny, smoking hot guy would be the ideal situation, but I gather most people want more togetherness.)

Yeah I get that but it's no excuse for cheating. If the long distance thing is too much, then break up. Cheating is never excusable.

• Love 2