Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

For what it's worth, this is the second consecutive NFL game where a team down 16-3 late in the game ends up with 14 quick points.  Coincidentally, I suppose, the Bucs, who won the Super Bowl the year before the Rams did, were the first team to do it on Monday

• Useful 2

The Raiders have now been beaten this year by a coach on the job for six days and a QB on the job for two days.

It's too bad they don't play the Titans next to get the trifecta with their newly fired GM.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Panther fans are scratching their heads tonight...

Seriously!  I had genuinely high hopes for Baker when he joined the Panthers, but he was an utter disaster.  I saw on Reddit a few days ago that Baker’s performance at Carolina this season was the second worst QBR since they started tracking the stat in 2006 (another Panthers QB, Jimmy Clausen, was the worst).  He was benched in favor of PJ Walker and Sam Darnold.  How does he go and play decently tonight when he doesn’t know the offense?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

There are very limited reasons I would ever root for the Rams, and I do like the Raiders, so that sucks.  On the flip side, Baker got a ton of unnecessary shit heaped on top of him (and I miss “At Home with Baker”), so good for him.

• Love 4

NFL Memes posted last night on Twitter that the Raiders have now lost to a guy who was coaching his first NFL game ever having been hired that week and to a guy who was on the team all of 48 hours.    Raiders don't know how to handle the unusual being thrown at them.   They need tape to study.   

Mayfield played like a guy who has been on the team for all of 48 hours.   But he had enough basic skills to get things done.   

But damn these Thursday night games are PAINFUL.   

As for releasing OBJ's medical records, unless the team meets the definition of an organization that is covered by HIPAA it is not a violation of that.   It is also not illegal.   So let's not get all worked up that the Cowboys did something all the other teams have done when they want a player.   It's a crappy thing to do, but they didn't break any laws.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

How does he go and play decently tonight when he doesn’t know the offense?

• Sean McVay is a really good offensive coach. He designs great plays, calls great plays, and he knew exactly where to go in his playbook to make it work with a QB who just got there.
  • Baker's best quality is that he's hyper competitive. He's a gamer and seems to be better fit if you're picking your schoolyard pickup game football QB than your 17 game NFL season QB.
  • The Raiders aren't great. 
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Carey said:

The Rams acquiring Baker Mayfield is such a waste.

It's only a little over a million they have to pay him for this season, and if he plays well enough they'll either want to keep him or another team will sign him to a contract that would entitle the Rams to a compensatory pick. If he tanks they're only out a little money and can say goodbye.

Only my Raiders. I'm happy Mayfield won his first game with the Rams, just wish it wasn't against the Raiders.

• Love 2

I didn't like Baker while he was on the Browns - he's a headcase and the Browns are in my team's division, so there's always that negative connotation...  BUT I also blame the leaders at the Browns for not helping him mature.  After the Browns ditched him when he played injured for a year, I was more on his side.  Then the Panthers doing the same thing made me really feel for him.  Hoping he does well with the Rams, especially since they are in the other conference.  Wouldn't mind some more "the stadium is my home" commercials.

26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I just noticed that the regular season ends on January 8.  That is TOO LATE.

Nah, the season ends too soon.  I could watch football a few more months.  😁

Actually, since I'm so busy this time of year, they should take off for December, then come back in January.  Yeah, I like that...   Be good for injuries, too.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

As for releasing OBJ's medical records, unless the team meets the definition of an organization that is covered by HIPAA it is not a violation of that.   It is also not illegal.   So let's not get all worked up that the Cowboys did something all the other teams have done when they want a player.   It's a crappy thing to do, but they didn't break any laws.

Yeah, HIPAA only covers certain healthcare-related organizations and certain companies that those organizations (“business associates”) contract with to provide services, but the Cowboys wouldn’t be in those categories.

I might assume that the contract that the players’ association has with the teams would have a confidentiality agreement in it with respect to player personal information disclosed in connection with evaluations but I really don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I just noticed that the regular season ends on January 8.  That is TOO LATE.

I don't think I'm off base to think that the league has long term goals to end the season one week later, which would put the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend.

That'll happen when they go to the 18 game schedule.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

I might assume that the contract that the players’ association has with the teams would have a confidentiality agreement in it with respect to player personal information disclosed in connection with evaluations but I really don’t know.

That might be the case.   So it could be the subject of a grievance, but its not ILLEGAL.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I don't think I'm off base to think that the league has long term goals to end the season one week later, which would put the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend.

That'll happen when they go to the 18 game schedule.

It's simpler than that.  The NFL is the most popular sport in the country, more games = more money, so that's it.  The SB landing on a holiday is just a bonus. 

Once you add games it's really hard to take them away.  I'm willing to bet most casual fans and even many players wouldn't mind if there were fewer games in the baseball season, but since that means less money it will never happen despite it's drop in popularity.

• Useful 3

The ENORMOUS increases that the NFL got from its most recent ten year agreements with the networks almost certainly came with the NFL implying that it was heading towards 18 games within the life of those contracts.

Putting the Super Bowl on the holiday weekend is also a good thing monetarily.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's simpler than that.  The NFL is the most popular sport in the country, more games = more money, so that's it.  The SB landing on a holiday is just a bonus. 

Once you add games it's really hard to take them away.  I'm willing to bet most casual fans and even many players wouldn't mind if there were fewer games in the baseball season, but since that means less money it will never happen despite it's drop in popularity.

Couldn't agree more.  Though I have to wonder if it'll be a popular move for the 2026 season.  If things hold, then not only will the Super Bowl precede a holiday, it'll actually be played on a holiday.  I'm not sure how that'll work out, but I also do not think that it'll be the end of the NFL either.  No way I'd bet on that!

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

That might be the case.   So it could be the subject of a grievance, but its not ILLEGAL.

I'm not a lawyer (and they won't let me play one on tv) but wouldn't the team doctor,  as a medical professional,  fall under HIPAA laws?

4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I'm not a lawyer (and they won't let me play one on tv) but wouldn't the team doctor,  as a medical professional,  fall under HIPAA laws?

The doctor would but other members of the staff would not.  Since it was an evaluation, he probably signed a waiver that allowed the medical professional who evaluated him to share their findings with members of the Coyboys staff.

If it's the medical professional who then leaked the information outside of those OBJ authorized, then it's a violation.  If the person who leaked it is someone who OBJ said could be given the information, then probably not. 

People mistakenly believe HIPAA is attached to the medical information itself.  You saw a lot of it last year when players would invoke HIPAA violations as a reason not to answer the question about their vaccination status not realizing they can share whatever they want. It's not. HIPAA binds those who provide care or work for that provider or manage a person's insurance.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

My theory about the leak of OBJ's medicals is that it was a person in management who wanted to prevent Jerry (who seriously seemed to be in love with OBJ) from making (another) bad decision.

• Useful 1

I'll get my picks in here shortly, and a ton of other stuff I didn't get around to responding to yet.  Right now a couple notes or so.

The Texans are a dumpster fire, and after 1/5 of a century, they still haven't even appeared in a conference title game.  Even Detroit, who has ONE playoff win "since Day 1" made it into a conference title game.

That being said, 17.5 are way too many points to give a professional football team, especially a team that would crush the likes of 2019 LSU, 2001 Miami, 2013 FSU, and several Bama teams. However, the line could be 35, and I'd still pick the Cowboys to cover.  Therefore, Dallas wins the battle of Texas 58-4.

Next year, I might go back to NOT picking games that involve the Steelers.  Unlike Cincy, both Baltimore and Pittsburgh have had winning success between each other.  There was once a stat in which they played about a dozen games with a zero point-differential.  So many games ending in a 3-point margin, and the two teams that have carried the AFC North in terms of Super Bowl titles.  Heck, the AFC Central too!

Speaking of Cincy, as mentioned, I'm not going to pick them to beat Cleveland until they actually beat Cleveland.  While the Browns are better than the teams that Steelers and Ravens faced from 2004-2008 and 2008-2012 to hit a 20-0 record, the greatest usually dominate against division foes, regardless of how tough they are.  At least win one time; it's an in-state rival!  Cleveland is a bad matchup for Cincinnati, and it's a head-scratcher since the reasons why have not stopped Cincy (undefeated against Kansas City) from beating other teams that have the same skill set.

Ravens cover and the over does not hit at Acrisure, and Cleveland covers with the over hitting in the battle for Ohio

Edited by Carey
Stratcher is not a word

Week 14 PicksTennessee, Philadelphia, Detroit, Kansas City, Seattle, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New England

Week 14 Odds: 

NY Jets/Buffalo
Bills 10
Jets and over

Tampa Bay/San Francisco
Niners 3.5
Bucs and under

Miami/LA Chargers
Dolphins 3.5
Chargers and under

New England/Arizona
Patriots 1.5
Cards and under

Buffalo (and to a more important extent Kansas City until Week 17) probably might want to survive this game by all means.  Forget not taking advantage of Cincinnati dropping a game.  Or regaining their spot over Kansas City.  Their division title might be at risk if the Jets escape (though I think they will at least come close to it).  The good news for the Bills is that I believe they get all of their division foes at home.  On a related note & while it's another talking point for another time, the NFL scheduling is a total joke

Even though the Rams survived Thursday Night Football against the Raiders, they can still be eliminated from playoff contention.  While the Rams would have to survive a ton more going forward in terms of the criteria, They should be okay this week.  While Seattle could beat Carolina, I don't think the Giants are defeating Philadelphia.

Speaking of that, the Eagles would finally become the first team to clinch a playoff spot.  Unless Detroit loses before the GMEN, and on that note, if that happens, Minnesota would be the first of 8 teams to clinch its division.  Even if they don't today, I expect they will before the end since it'll take a ton for them to lose out and for Detroit to win out.  

There are several things that need to happen for Denver to get eliminated.  What I mean by that is based on if they win.  I'm not going to post that since it'll a longshot, but I also think they're done.  I don't see Kansas City losing, especially after last week.  If they do win, they would need for Miami to win on SNF in order to clinch yet another AFC West title.

Arizona pretty much has the same scenarios as the Rams, but we're starting to see teams fall out and we should be seeing some clinch spots (and some before securing a seed) for January's postseason

• Love 1

"Division football baby!"

The Jets own the Bills who own the Pats who own the Jets who own Buffalo who owns New England who owns...

It is still weird to where I've often said that the NFL is scripted

• LOL 3

The only reason I have not ripped this TV off the wall and thrown it into the bin is that the Eagles will stay ahead of the dastardly Cowboys if this holds (HA HA HA HA HA the Giants are not making up a three score deficit *snort*).

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2

Bills/Jets is a total defensive battle in the nasty cold Buffalo weather.

Eagles are destroying the Giants, I think the Giants are overrated and not as good as their record, they aren’t going anywhere IMO and I’m still not sold on Jones. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Eagles are destroying the Giants, I think the Giants are overrated and not as good as their record, they aren’t going anywhere IMO and I’m still not sold on Jones. 

I said after the loss to Detroit that I wasn't sure the Giants would win another game this year.  Sadly -- very sadly -- nothing has made me reconsider my assessment.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention the playoff status of a certain team earlier: The Steelers can no longer win the division with their loss today.  It really doesn't matter since Cincinnati (who still has a game against Baltimore) is probably not losing out or might not even lose again before their meaningful clinch

BTW, whatever happens in this NFC North battle, I think the Lions have done enough to be for real (sorta like Cleveland).  Maybe not "BACK" right now or a true winner, but no longer a laughing stock of the league

• Like 1

Lions upset the Vikings, Vikings pass defense = shit. I don’t see the Vikings going on a playoff run with how many yards they give up.

Eagles blow out the Giants, Eagles are arguably the best team in the NFL, and the Giants are going into free fall IMO.

Bills beat the Jets in a defensive battle.

Cowboys escape the Texans, but they show why I don’t trust them, and Dak needs to cut down on the turnovers.

27 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Oh how amazing and exciting that Tom Brady gets to play where he grew up. I've got tears in my eyes. 🙄 😏😝 

I'm rolling mine. 😂

I've heard about this turd since his days at Serra High. I'm more than ready to see him ride off into the sunset. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3