Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Yes but if the team did not deliberately let the air out of the balls, then you can't fine them for nature taking it's course.

The balls were properly inflated at inspection.   If they were not then the refs inflate them to the proper pressure.   So either the Patriots somehow got to the balls after inspection or nature happened.  

The balls were properly inflated at inspection.   If they were not then the refs inflate them to the proper pressure.   So either the Patriots somehow got to the balls after inspection or nature happened.  

I don't know much about the logistics of this stuff: does the team get the balls back after they are inspected but before the game actually starts? I assume yes, so couldn't they just deflate them then?

Yes, after they are inspected the balls are returned to the team and usually put in a ball bag on the sideline from which the team's ball handler will fetch them as needed.   They are not otherwise watched or guarded.   From what I've read, the Patriot's game balls were re-checked at half-time and those that were under-pressure were re-inflated.  They were also apparently checked again after the game but I don't think those results have been made public.   If they were again under-pressure after the game, either it was happening naturally, or someone deflated them after they were re-inflated at the half without anyone noticing.

Belichick said in his press conference today that they typically only inflate the balls to the league required minimum, so any air loss whatsoever would put them under-pressure.   I don't know what amount of air loss might be realisitically expected though through wear and tear or the weather/temperature; I guess we'll have to wait until the league reveals it's findings as I don't believe any evidence of active tampering has publicly surfaced.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm misspoken, there's so much flying around out there.

Edited by jcin617

If they were again under-pressure after the game, either it was happening naturally, or someone deflated them after they were re-inflated at the half without anyone noticing.

I know nothing about physics, but if the deflation were somehow happening because of nature, wouldn't the balls on the Colts' side be deflated, too?

On a lighter note, Chris Pratt and Chris Evans have a Super Bowl bet: http://www.people.com/article/chris-evans-pratt-super-bowl-bet

I know nothing about physics, but if the deflation were somehow happening because of nature, wouldn't the balls on the Colts' side be deflated, too?

That's where the whackier theories about the Colts using colder air to inflate the balls, so they would deflate more slowly, come into play. Apparently, it's the Colts' fault.

Honestly, all this talk over it, and I'd wager that the most the Patriots would get would be a paltry fine that Belichick could pay out of his hoodie money, and that'll be an end of it. Except not, because no fans of other teams will forget about it, so it'll be brought up in every football argument, alongside Spygate.

• Love 3

I think the telling thing about all this is that the refs had the Patriots switch to the 12 backup balls after the ones they had failed the halftime inspection; presumably those were all properly inflated when the switch was made, and it was while using those balls that the Pats blew the game open.  I'll be interested in a final explanation of what happened, but it's not really relevant to the outcome of the game.

I like the idea of "we inflated the balls in the sauna and they deflated outside."  It reminds me of a few years ago when some fans from MIT discovered they could sit in the stadium parking lot and jam the opposing team's radios.... yes, that was unfair and I believe the team and league stopped them from doing it, but I admire the geeky cleverness.

Also, let's not forget that all the Patriots did after Spygate was run the table to a 16-0 record, and I still think that had any team but the Giants (who they had just played in a brutal game in Week 17) won the NFC, I'd own one of these shirts:

p4472850dt.jpg

• Love 1

Now I've read that the Colts suspected the same thing happened during their regular season meeting with the Pats.

If so, they played this entirely wrong. They should have gone old school baseball for the championship game. Like when a baseball managers knows someone on the opposition is cheating (too much pine tar, "stuff" on the brim of a pitchers cap) during the regular season but waits until a more important match up to accuse them of it.

As soon as Mike Adams intercepted the ball, Pagano should have stormed out on the field, wildly waving it around. Stick a pressure meter in it a shove it into the referee's face. Turn around the cap, kick up some of those rubber field turf bits. Irsay up in the owner's booth, madly tweeting. . .

It certainly would have been more entertaining than what we got.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

"Once there was this prince, and he came from, like, Syria, okay, and he lived with some peaceful monkeys outside his aunt's boyfriend's cabin and had an old sheepdog named Paco Sinbad" for the win, but I loved the whole thing.  Bravo!

The Tom Brady press conference seems to have brought out the inner 12 year old in many of us.

I don't know. Somehow I cannot take deflated footballs quite as seriously as a player getting video taped knocking his girlfriend unconscious in an elevator. Which seems just a trifle more serious to me.

• Love 6

Contrary to initial reports, it turns out the Colts' linebacker who intercepted Brady's pass didn't notice anything wrong with the ball.  Since he didn't notice anything wrong with it, presumably he didn't tell anyone about a problem he didn't notice

Colts' D'Qwell Jackson: I didn't know football had less pressure

When Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson intercepted a pass in the first half of Sunday's game, he had plenty of reasons to keep that football. After all, it happened during the AFC Championship Game. Tom Brady threw it. And it was his first postseason pick of a nine-year career.

One reason he didn't keep it? Air pressure.

"I wanted that ball as a souvenir!" Jackson told NFL Media during a phone conversation Thursday.

Eventually, Jackson hopes he will indeed get the football back. But for now, it remains in the possession of the NFL, which is investigating whether the Patriots deliberately deflated the ball to gain an advantage.

Until Jackson gets it back, though, he at least wants to make something very clear: He did not intend to prompt the investigation. Jackson says he actually did not even know the ball was taken or that the controversy existed until he was being driven home from the team's charter plane after the Colts had arrived in Indianapolis.

"I wouldn't know how that could even be an advantage or a disadvantage," Jackson said. "I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if one ball had less pressure than another."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462315/article/colts-dqwell-jackson-i-didnt-know-football-had-less-pressure

He also said the Patriots were playing with Colts footballs late in the first half.

The Tom Brady press conference seems to have brought out the inner 12 year old in many of us.

I don't know. Somehow I cannot take deflated footballs quite as seriously as a player getting video taped knocking his girlfriend unconscious in an elevator. Which seems just a trifle more serious to me.

And many things have happened in the NFL more serious even than Ray Rice knocking his fiance unconscious. But the world didn't stop for them either. This is the way it goes, with media hype. Whatever the incident, if enough people jump on it, it becomes big news. And the Patriots cheating is big news. Not just because they're going to the Super Bowl, but because they're the Patriots and (rightly or wrongly) a lot of people suspect them of being shady as hell on a normal day.

But really, in the world of actual sports news, a team allegedly cheating to gain an advantage should be bigger news than one player committing a crime in his private life. And usually, it is. The amount of dumb football players who beat people up or drink and drive or get caught speeding or whatever else, and the media barely bats an eyelid. Even after the Ray Rice saga.

This Colts LB has been charged with rape, criminal confinement and bodily injury, and it's barely even been noticed. Because he's a backup? Because there's no video of it? It's kind of crazy that Ray Rice was hounded out of the game, and this man who is accused of worse (rape is worse than knocking someone out, I think we can all agree?) is just a footnote even in Indianapolis news circles.

But above all, Tom Brady's saggy balls need attention.

• Love 4

A commentator here in Boston put it best; at this point even if the Patriots win the Super Bowl, they lose. 

If they win, there will be howls that "the cheaters won so it doesn't count" and if they lose, there will be endless gloating that they "got what they deserved".  

The NFL needs to comment one way or the other because it's just endless speculation at this point without any evidence anything was done intentionally.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1

Jailed fan suing NFL for $88 billion over Dez Bryant non-catch vs. Packers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24985932/jailed-fan-suing-nfl-for-88-billion-over-dez-bryant-non-catch-vs-packers

Colorado man Terry Hendrix is suing the NFL, Rodger Goodell, Dean Blandino and Gene Steratore, alleging "negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and also wreckless (sic) disregard". The damages requested: $88,987,654,321.88, a tip of the cap to his case at hand, which centers on the overturned catch by Dez Bryant that arguably swung the Cowboys-Packers divisional round playoff game.

Hendrix's -- handwritten -- suit states the following:

"For the theft from and the loss of a Super Bowl, against and upon the hearts, minds, and souls of, but not limited to: Dez Bryant #88, the 2014/15 on-field offense of and to include all cheeerrrrleaders, fans of and all people in or from the sovereign republic of Texas, we the respondent(s) file this our notice of intent to file suit against and upon these respondent(s) captioned herein for the sum certain amount of money $88,987,654,321.88."

Hendrix's suit is handwritten because he is currently an inmate in the Colorado penal system. If the case is not immediately dismissed -- there is exactly a zero percent chance it is not immediately dismissed -- he might want to call Packers cornerback Sam Shields as a witness. Shields, who was covering Dez Bryant on the play, said on Thursday, “It was a catch. But the new rule and at the last minute what happened, that's what the refs came up with. I never said he didn't catch it. He made a helluva catch I was in great coverage. Like I said, it was good on good and he came up with the catch.”

I guess after this gets dismissed, some fan with too much time on their hands will probably sue over deflategate. 

Edited by yourpointis

This Colts LB has been charged with rape, criminal confinement and bodily injury, and it's barely even been noticed. Because he's a backup? Because there's no video of it?

All that plus didn't the Colts suspend him right away pending the investigation?

The Patriots seem to be a pretty unpopular team in some quarters - is it possible that someone not them sabotaged these footballs to get them into trouble and psych them out to lose at the Superbowl? Or to give them such bad press that a victory would feel hollow?

In order to sabotage the Patriots someone got into their sideline on game day and altered the balls in a manner that Brady has stated a preference for and could potentially give him an edge? It's possible, theoretically, but it seems unlikely to me.

Ultimately where I land on this is that the Patriots-Colts game was so lopsided that I don't think the balls made a difference. It does make me question, though, whether they tried the same stunt against the Ravens because that game was close enough for me to believe that a slight edge could have affected the outcome. But if you start going back in time to other games, how far back do you go? Do we call their whole season into question and does that translate into any action from the NFL? I think they should get slapped with a fine, even if it's basically symbolic since Belichick can comfortably pay whatever fine they throw at him, and every team that plays the Pats should be hyper aware and the refs should be on the lookout. And if the same thing happens twice, sure, let's go HAM on the Patriots.

• Love 1

And if the same thing happens twice, sure, let's go HAM on the Patriots.

It already happened twice.  They've been caught cheating twice now.  Unless you mean specifically the deflate thing.  Which, I don't think makes a difference.  If this were another team with another coach then things would most likely be different.  But it's not.  After Belichick and his whining last year when he got trampled by the Broncos, this is funny to me.  It was clear he was pissed and I can definitely believe he would make a decision not to let it happen again.  Hence, deflate gate.

If Belichick and Brady were smart  then they would've both come out and taken full responsibility.  Whether they knew about it or not.  It would've stopped the media hype at least.  But no, you have Brady denying he knew which doesn't really put him in a fantastic light.  I mean, if he knew then he's a cheating bastard and if he didn't know then he's an incompetent QB (which he's not) who didn't realize the balls were inflated wrong?  That's why people aren't believing him.  He's not a moron so he had to have known, yet said nothing.  Which makes him a cheater and also a liar now.

However, it is impossible to have a conversation about this without turning into a giggling idiot.  We tried it at work today and while we made every effort not to giggle every time someone said something about balls....it just didn't happen.

• Love 1

A few things I find irritating about the media deflategate comments from some.

First of all I keep hearing that if you can't prove BB or Brady knew about the change you can't punish them.   Some compare it to a court of law and you need a preponderance of evidnece they are guilty and it can't just be guilt by association.  I kept hearing this during the Saints investigations as well.  Its a fallacy.  This IS NOT a court of law.  You don't need that level of evidence.  Its ridiculous.  I view the coach in this matter like the players and the drug testing policy.  If the players have a positive test, doesn't matter how it got there.  They can claim it was a legal drug and contamincation of like Robert Mathis you were using it for fertility, whatever, doesn't matter to the league.  The player is responsible for everything they put in their body, doesn't matter how it go there, its a suspension.  I view BB in this matter the same way.  He is responsible for the team and in charge.  Doesn't matter how it happened, if the balls are found to be below regulation, he is responsible.  And for that matter, its such a joke to suggest otherwise with this team anyway.  BB is in control of EVERYTHING in that organization.  In absolutely every other matter to suggest something happened with the team and BB did not know about it, no one would believe.  Now with this, well, its Brady, I don't know whats going on......yes, you did

Second, people sayin this is just patriot hate and its unfair.  First of all that partially true, but they are to blame for the hate.  They got caught cheating once before, so yes, people watch them closer.  That is just a fact of life for everyone. Its written into NFL policy, and almost all league policies, heck almost all LAWS in this country.  Repeat offenders are treated harsher.  I don't even know what the point of bringing that up is, its just the way things are. 

And on a related note, its not just jealousy that brings out the patriot hate.  There are many teams I hate and have hated over the years as a sports fan.  I hate Duke basketball.  Always will.  However I respect COach K, I don't dispute his integrity, I don't think he cheats and I recognize he is one of the two best coaches in college basketabll history.  I hated the Lakers gorwing up.  I never thought they cheated though.  ANd I respected their talent, how they played.  I was never a Magic fan, but on the court at least, I never doubted his talent or drive or integrity.  Some with Kobe now.  I hated the 49ers growing up, but by the end of the 1980s, heck even Montana had me on his side.  I still say he is the best QB of the SB era, Brady isn't close.  I could write a whole research paper just on that topic.  This is not so with the Pats and BB.  I hate them and I have no respect for them.  And i have no respect for them because BB has been caught cheating before, when he was caught cheating he resued to acknowledge he basically knowingly did it or that he did anything wrong, and now he has been caught cheating again and he is doing the same things.  ANd the ogranization offers up nothing but excuses and inane theories about the weather and rogue ball boys and referees not doing their job and bad measuring device and every other ridiculous conspiracy scenario rather than just admitting the most obvious, they deflated the balls and now they are lying

Its not about the one game.  The Colts would have lost that game if they played with a beach ball.  The Colts have serious problems still on defense and if they don't get better in the offseason they will continue to be a good team that will never win a SB, whether its losing to the Pats or whatever other solid all around team they face deep in the playoffs.  This is about a team being caught cheating twice now and refusing to admit it first of all.  Its about a coach that has no respect for the rules and who cares nothing about how the team wins as long as it happens.  He has been caught twice now and I have little doubt in my mind, and I think most NFL fans outside NE feel the same way, they probably cheat in other ways and have jus never been caught.  Its winning at all costs, the rules don't matter and an attitude that he is above punishment and condemnation and is above regulation by any higher authority as long as he keeps winning in whatever way possible, legal or illegal. 

• Love 6

I'm of the mind that I want the League to shit or get off the pot. I am already mourning the end of the NFL season (don't particularly care for the college level) and am ready for the analysts to get back to having their regularly scheduled inane conversations about which is the better team and why, better qb, etc. Hardly anyone I know cares a whit about the Pro Bowl, so just fine the Patriot organization or whatever it is they plan on doing and let's get back to the Superbowl. 

• Love 1

Which one of you is Tom Pelissero? I want my freakin' byline. Because I suggested it first!

"What everyone's looking for is somebody to have physically altered the ball by letting air out," Dr. Allen Sanderson, a research scientist at the University of Utah, told USA TODAY Sports on Friday. "We think this is naturally occurring."

In simple terms, the theory goes like this.

Rather than pumping up a ball in the locker room, an equipment manager could take it into a warmer environment, such as a sauna, and fill it there before the mandatory check by the referee 2 hours, 15 minutes before game time.
Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Many people have suggested the temperature being the reason for the changes.

I don't believe it. If it were that simple NE could just tell the NFL that is what they did, there is no rule against it, and there would be no need for further investigation. The NFL talked to 40 people and is still investigating. It doesn't take talking to more than about 2 people to figure this scenario out if it truly happened. And BB could just come out and admit this if it happened, no rule against it, and be done with the whole mess.

I doubt that is the explanation for that reason.

Deflategate/cheating Patriots notwithstanding, I still hate Seattle more. 

Call me naive or inattentive, but until Deflategate occurred, I never realized the extent of the hatred, or at least active dislike, for the Seahawks.

But these days, I'm a pretty casual fan.

First of all I keep hearing that if you can't prove BB or Brady knew about the change you can't punish them.   Some compare it to a court of law and you need a preponderance of evidnece they are guilty and it can't just be guilt by association.  I kept hearing this during the Saints investigations as well.  Its a fallacy.  This IS NOT a court of law.  You don't need that level of evidence.  Its ridiculous.

Sean Peyton was suspended one year for BountyGate, and he said he had no idea it was happening. Whether or not the NFL believed him seems to be irrelevant. The official statement was that ignorance of the rules (or rules violation) does not make one immune to the consequences of not following the rules. That seems to be the case here.

I hope the NFL holds the Patriots to the same standards that it did for Sean Peyton, Marshawn Lynch, and violators of the league's drug policy. The team doesn't deserve special treatment.

• Love 2

This incident, along with Spygate also puts the Patriots under the "pattern of behavior" standard Goodell used to suspend Roethlisberger. Despite the fact that he had never been charged with a crime. 

(It's also apparently the standard the league is using to call an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Marshawn Lynch it he grabs his crotch again. I hope every Seahawk grabs his crotch in solidarity.)

• Love 2

The NFL shop was even selling posters of Lynch grabbing his crotch.  Apparently today they stopped selling them.  I wonder if they thought it might be bad publicity.

It's a pretty crass celebration, to be honest. While I usually find the censoriousness of American media pretty hilariously Victorian and prudish, I'm with them on this one. Lynch is being a tool by grabbing his and it is unsportsmanlike. I think any sport would punish a player for doing that in celebration. He's done it more than once, and the odds are he'll do it in the Super Bowl, which is not the kind of publicity the NFL wants, especially when the main storyline has been Tom Brady's deflated balls.

That they were selling posters of it makes the NFL look stupid, because they should have been on the ball (man, this is another subject just full of unfortunate puns) with it from the start.

• Love 2

It was always a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty to make an obscene gesture such as a crotch grab.   That's why Lynch turned his back to the ref right before he ran into the end zone so the ref couldn't see him do it.    He got fined though.    And the refs will be watching to see if he deliberately turns his back again.  

Such a classy guy.   Won't speak to the media as he is contractually obligated because he is a private person but he will grab his junk for all the world to see.

• Love 3

St. Louis Rams Interested In Nick Foles

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/report-st-louis-rams-interested-trading-nick-foles?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

The report comes from NJ Advance Media's Eliot Shorr-Parks:

According to a person familiar with the situation, but who requested anonymity, the St. Louis Rams have interest in Foles should the Eagles decide to trade him this offseason.

Foles' possible availability was a topic of conversation among coaches and scouts last week at the Senior Bowl, with the Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans also mentioned as teams that would have interest if Foles hit the market.

Parks is relatively new to the Eagles beat and his track record with rumors of this nature is unproven. That's not to discredit said report, just to read it with the needed grain of salt.

The second paragraph noted above also points out the Titans and Texans as teams with potential interest in Foles, but that seems to simply be chatter among coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl, not necessarily from within either of those two organizations.

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has obviously had a tough go of it over the past few years battling injury, but reports back in December pointed to the organization being willing to give him one more shot in 2015.

NFL Insider Albert Breer said in December that the Rams' brass want Bradford back as long as they can work on his contract numbers.

How Foles would fit into a plan that also includes Bradford is unclear but a return haul for a guy the Rams could potentially be trading for as a backup isn't likely to thrill Eagles fans. That said, the Eagles would clearly then have to make a huge splash to land a starter early in the draft which would likely energize the fanbase.

Strickland: Chargers Owner, Goldman-Sachs Agree to Build LA Stadium

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/STLRams/tabid/137/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/16185/Strickland-Chargers-Owner-Goldman-Sachs-Agree-to-Build-LA-Stadium.aspx

San Diego Chargers owner Dean Spanos and Goldman-Sachs have agreed on a deal to build a stadium in Los Angeles, Andy Strickland told Frank Cusumano on The Hollywood Casino Press Box Friday.

"Spanos from the Chargers has a deal in place with Goldman-Sachs to build a new stadium and the NFL has asked him to hold off on announcing those plans," Strickland said, citing anonymous high-ranking officials in St. Louis.

Strickland said Spanos was incensed earlier this month when Rams' owner Stan Kroenke unveiled plans to build a new stadium in the Los Angeles area without the NFL's approval.

"I don't think the NFL's very happy about it either," Strickland said.

He also mentioned officials want to make something clear to football fans in St. Louis.

"Bob Blitz, Dave Peacock...they're not doing this for Stan Kroenke. They're doing it for the people in St. Louis in an effort to keep a football team here. It's probably safe to say nobody despises Stan Kroenke more than the civic leaders here in St. Louis right now," Strickland said.

I watched the Pro Bowl last night - well, it was on the TV while I was doing other things. It was a little hard to follow which team was which until I figured out that Beckham was in grey and he was on Irvin's team (did those unis look like they were from U of Miami or is it just me?). I don't know what was wrong with the white and blue they used to wear.

One thing I'm afraid they are going to do is overdo Beckham's awesome wonderfulness by constantly talking about how great he is. I mean, as long as he has that blue helmet he IS awesomely wonderful, but the media is going to make everyone else sick of him. He's skilled, we get it, but please don't drive it into the ground. It felt like all they did the entire broadcast was show his one-handed grabs in practice, which they also sprawled all over the ESPN Facebook and Twitter pages.

I wish Houston had made the playoffs so it would be easy to vote JJ Watt for MVP.

• Love 1

I watched the Pro Bowl last night - well, it was on the TV while I was doing other things. It was a little hard to follow which team was which until I figured out that Beckham was in grey and he was on Irvin's team

Yeah, I tuned in late, and had to look at the shading behind where Irvin and Carter's names were written on the on-screen "scoreboard" to know whose team was in which color uniform.

Irvin turns everything he's involved in into a ridiculous clown circus, so why they decided to get him to be a part of the New Improved Pro Bowl, I cannot fathom. From what I can tell, the guy has no interest whatsoever in players who aren't either wide receivers or Dallas Cowboys (ideally, they'd be both). On what grounds is that eejit picking a team of the best players in the league?

I do like the Pro Bowl as an opportunity for these guys to spend time together and network, to build relationships and share their knowledge with one another. I know that both Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning considered the Pro Bowl a great opportunity to help younger players learn more about the game. So even if it's a joke as a contest, I think it is worthwhile.

It was always a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty to make an obscene gesture such as a crotch grab.   That's why Lynch turned his back to the ref right before he ran into the end zone so the ref couldn't see him do it.    He got fined though.    And the refs will be watching to see if he deliberately turns his back again.  

Such a classy guy.   Won't speak to the media as he is contractually obligated because he is a private person but he will grab his junk for all the world to see.

I totally agree. What I don't like is the appearance that it is going to be selectively enforced on Lynch.

If the NFL wants to make it a point of emphasis that all players will be penalized for making obscene gestures, I have no problem with that. They had an opportunity to do so after Johnny Manziel flipped the bird to the crowd earlier this season. But from what I have read, this action is specifically directed at Lynch. Which is a bullshit way of enforcing league rules. 

I believe this is the appropriate post after ^^^ that one.

Or this

• Love 1

I laugh when I hear the phrase "Person of Interest" used by the crew investigating Deflategate.

It makes it sound like the guy is a bank robber lying low before dashing over the border to Mexico and not an employee of the Patriots.

• Love 3

Miko Grimes is ticked because her husband didn't get MVP of the Pro Bowl?   SHe does know that it is the Pro Bowl and most people didn't even know there was an MVP of the game?   I mean seriously lady, take it down about 12 notches.