Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know if this is true because verifying Tom Brady statistics is not something I’m interested in, but allegedly he has played in 7 road playoff games in his career and 2 since 2006.  

Well, since some of us are interested in TB12 statistics, here's a summary of Wiki on the subject.  Asterisk indicates the Pats lost a game in that category (Home or Away), bold indicates they were the #1 seed in the AFC, "+ SB" means they were the nominal home team in the Super Bowl.  Years are the years the playoffs were played, not the regular season (so "2002" = the 2001-02 season).

2002: 1 H, 1 A, + SB
2004: 2 H, + SB
2005: 1 H, 1 A
2006: 1 H, 1 A*
2007: 1 H, 2 A*
2008: 2 H, + SB (but the Super Bowl wasn't played due to a combined outbreak of ebola and Legionnaire's disease.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
2010: 1 H*
2011: 1 H*
2012: 2 H, + SB
2013: 1 H, 1 A*
2014: 1 H, 1 A*
2015: 2 H*
2016: 1 H, 1 A*
2017: 2 H

• Love 3

Words cannot express how disappointed I continuously am that Minnesota plays in a dome.

I seriously cannot imagine what the game today would have been like if we didn't have a dome. It has been snowing since 11 am.

That being said there were people running around screaming in my neighborhood, not giving a single damn about the snow, after that ending. I think we're all kind of in shock, to be honest, because that was about to be the latest entry in the Vikingest Viking Losses to Ever Viking. 

SKOL.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

2008: 2 H, + SB (but the Super Bowl wasn't played due to a combined outbreak of ebola and Legionnaire's disease.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

See this is what happens when plebes can edit Wikipedia.  They go and make up things about The Greatest Super Bowl Ever Played that contained The Greatest Play to Ever Feature Rodney Harrison.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

See this is what happens when plebes can edit Wikipedia.  They go and make up things about The Greatest Super Bowl Ever Played that contained The Greatest Play to Ever Feature Rodney Harrison.

18-1, baby!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:
49 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

giphy.gif

The Greatest Super Bowl Ever Played occurred two years ago, and that was not a play that occurred during said game.  I'm sorry for your mistake. :)

The Stealers losing had me all

tenor.gif?itemid=5320763

But because the universe loves nothing more than equilibrium, the Saints had to go and steal defeat from the jaws of victory.  Honestly, though, the Stealers losing is the bigger deal.  I'm a Pats fan, but I'm kind of rooting for the Jags to win the whole goddamn thing; that would be truly amazing.

• Love 1

That was the most horrible effort at a tackle I have ever seen by a corner. 

All he has to do is make the tackle, game over.  No need to dive.  He is in position, right there.  He doesn't even have to knock it down.  Just wait for the ball, hit him.  That's it.   He could even just grab him and slow him down, wait for others to get there.  CLock is running out. 

That will go down as one of the worst plays in NFL history, will be repeated forever. 

• Love 1

The problem is that at first, he was trying to not get called for interference, so he wasn’t even in position.  Then, he hit his teammate and it was all over from there.

I LIVE for crowd noise and seeing a crowd get excited.  So while I still think the play sucks monkey balls, this video is just amazing. (Make sure your sound is up)

Ha!  I just realized he took his helmet off on the field.  They should have had a 15 yard penalty on the stupid PAT they were forced to do.
Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The problem is that at first, he was trying to not get called for interference, so he wasn’t even in position.  Then, he hit his teammate and it was all over from there.

I LIVE for crowd noise and seeing a crowd get excited.  So while I still think the play sucks monkey balls, this video is just amazing. (Make sure your sound is up)

Ha!  I just realized he took his helmet off on the field.  They should have had a 15 yard penalty on the stupid PAT they were forced to do.

The official did throw a flag.

6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There was certainly some dust in the room at my house when that play was made. I don't really have an opinion on the Vikings either way but I imagined being a fan in that stadium at that very moment and then I think it was Kenenm starting the big V clap at the end of the game and the crowd was so into it. Yea, the dust started flying a little bit. What a great moment for the Vikings! 

• Love 2

I am so used to the Vikings blowing it that I knew when we were up by 17, it would bite...the Saints played a great second half...and I really don't know what happened those last ten seconds..I loved it...but I haven't a clue...as this is something we're not used to....wha...huh?

• Love 4

Is it true that the spread was 5.5 so that PAT was a pretty big deal to the bookies? 

I saw an interview with the corner and he said that his teammates were supportive, as they should be. In the end, it's just a game and not life or death. The armchair assholes will end up moving on with their lives eventually.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so used to the Vikings blowing it that I knew when we were up by 17, it would bite...the Saints played a great second half...and I really don't know what happened those last ten seconds..I loved it...but I haven't a clue...as this is something we're not used to....wha...huh?

I’ve been a Vikings fan for over 30 years. When the Saints scored their first touchdown, I was like, welp. Then came the INT. Even after the Vikings got the lead, I shook my head and said, nope, they saved too much time for Brees. I was mostly just zoned out by the time the Vikings got the ball back, rolled my eyes when Joe Buck said the game’s not over.

And then.

• Love 3

The removing the helmet penalty is enforced on the kickoff, not the extra point attempt.    As time ran out, there was no kickoff.   Nothing in the Rule Book allows for an extra time kickoff.   It was an offensive penalty not a defensive penalty so the game ends.

The Rule Book also states there was must be an extra point ATTEMPT even if time has run out.  The Vikings did not actually kick it.   If it had been blocked and run back for a score by the Saints that would have been something even more shocking in this game.   The Vikings did a kneel down to end the game.

32 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The removing the helmet penalty is enforced on the kickoff, not the extra point attempt. 

Ahh ok thank you.

Everything I saw online said the Vegas spread was 5.5 so if so that’s funny.

I think the Eagles should be very concerned about their current offense against that Viking defense.

Fuck.

I happened to be in New Orleans this weekend and what the hell after a lot of liquor I was a Saints fan in a bar on Bourbon Street.  It happens.

Talk about ecstasy to agony in 10 seconds.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, twoods said:

I saw an interview with the corner and he said that his teammates were supportive, as they should be. In the end, it's just a game and not life or death.

It doesn't even need to get that deep to necessitate them supporting him -- he's far from the only Saints player who made a mistake in that game.  His was the last one, and directly tied to those particular six points, but it wasn't the only one that resulted in the Vikings having more points on the board when the game ended.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The removing the helmet penalty is enforced on the kickoff, not the extra point attempt.    As time ran out, there was no kickoff.   Nothing in the Rule Book

The Rule Book also states there was must be an extra point ATTEMPT even if time has run out.  The Vikings did not actually kick it.   If it had been blocked and run back for a score by the Saints that would have been something even more shocking in this game.   The Vikings did a kneel down to end the game.

I think in the case of the Saints returning a botched  extra point attempt (or two point conversion attempt) that only results in 2 points so it wouldn’t have changed the outcome. 

9 hours ago, pennben said:

I think in the case of the Saints returning a botched  extra point attempt (or two point conversion attempt) that only results in 2 points so it wouldn’t have changed the outcome. 

True, but it's also true that the point was meaningless to the team; it only meant something to the gamblers, and that's near the top of the list of things the NFL doesn't want to be seen doing (wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean say no more).

Christ.  The more the media bellyaches that Tom Brady not in the Super Bowl is somehow bad for the sport is the more likely the casual fan will start to believe it.  They need to knock that shit off and prop up ALL of the teams, not just their annoying “golden boy”.

• Love 10
On 1/16/2018 at 7:13 AM, mojoween said:

Christ.  The more the media bellyaches that Tom Brady not in the Super Bowl is somehow bad for the sport is the more likely the casual fan will start to believe it.  They need to knock that shit off and prop up ALL of the teams, not just their annoying “golden boy”.

It's been 5 years since our last Peyton Manning- or Tom Brady-free Super Bowl.

In fact, 13 of the last 14 Super Bowls have featured Peyton, Brady or Roethlisberger. (Or 14 of the last 16.)

Geez.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, mojoween said:

The majority of fans outside NE I think prefer the Pats and Brady not in the SB. 

I know I do.  And most fans I talk to feel the same. 

Plus them not in would guarantee a first SB win for one of the other 3 franchises.  I like it when franchises get a first SB.  We've seen the Ravens, Saints and Seahawks do it recently. 

Bills, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Titans, Jags, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons (ugghh.....should have last year), Cardinals are the non-SB winners. 

Browns, Texans, Jags, Lions are the ones who have not even made a SB.  And that is however you count the current Browns, either as an expansion or as an extension of the prior team that disbanded as the Browns and became the Ravens. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The majority of fans outside NE I think prefer the Pats and Brady not in the SB. 

I know I do.  And most fans I talk to feel the same. 

Plus them not in would guarantee a first SB win for one of the other 3 franchises.  I like it when franchises get a first SB.  We've seen the Ravens, Saints and Seahawks do it recently. 

Bills, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Titans, Jags, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons (ugghh.....should have last year), Cardinals are the non-SB winners. 

Browns, Texans, Jags, Lions are the ones who have not even made a SB.  And that is however you count the current Browns, either as an expansion or as an extension of the prior team that disbanded as the Browns and became the Ravens. 

Ravens?

7 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I have fond memories to the Ravens win because my boss at the time was a big Niners fan and let's say he had a rough day at work the following Monday.

There was a lot of complaints about the brother-vs.-brother angle, but, really, that was really crazy that that would happen. (Too bad Steve Sabol didn't live to see that.) Also, the blackout and Beyonce. That was a really great Super Bowl, even though I was rooting for Jim Harbaugh as a person. But then again, I hate the 49ers, so I'm glad they lost.

Also, this is a great video to show which TV hosts reacted crazily to the Vikings win, and which didn't.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 4

That was a wonderful video, especially with the real people.  What kind of jerkwad talking heads wouldn't look up from their scripts and give it a golf clap, just to not be massive tools.  Anyone listening to any of the national announcer teams knows right away who they want to win.

News flash for everyone but the fans -- everyone outside of New England loathes and despises the Pats and are so f-ing sick and tired of them being in or winning playoff games and Super Bowls.  We sometimes even watch and root for the other guys, even though we might not like that team, just because WE ARE SICK AND TIRED of having N.E. shoved down our throats by the media.  I don't even blame the Pats for this, 'cuz Darth Hoodie would rather be left alone to quietly plan world domination.   There's just as much money to be made in a Cinderella story as the same old Pats chokehold.

• Love 7

I was rooting for the Saints, but I loved that video.  When your team wins a must-win game is good enough, but when they win with a huge last-seconds play?  I've been the one jumping around the room, or falling to the floor in relief, or with a pet running around in circles trying to figure out why I'm hootin' and hollerin' so much, and it's a great, great feeling.  I'm really happy for those fans.

And, yeah, Strahan unbuttoning his coat to properly freak out was great.

• Love 3

When Lawrence Tynes redeemed himself for the Giants by kicking the game winning FG against Green Bay I was in my living room jumping up and down for quite awhile without even realizing it.  My husband asked me if I was going to stop any time soon or I was going to wear a hole in the carpet.

• Love 4

Oh, now there's some suspicious report out that some soon-to-be-cut (or possibly keeled) numbnuts teammate injured Precious Tom's finger in practice.  I submit that it is a fake-out by Darth Hoodie and his minions to lull the Jaguars into a state of complacency.  I know the media jumps on any opportunity to worship at the feet of the Pats, so this is enough to keep the Pats name in the media so the upstart Jags don't get any attention.

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

everyone but the fans -- everyone outside of New England loathes and despises

I live in Northern California, and I don't loathe and despise them.

I live in Southern California, and I don't loathe and despise them either.

• Love 5

I tend to think sports dynasties are good for pro sports in general. I'm sure there were people back in the 80s that hated the 49ers, and I sure rooted against the Cowboys all the time. The bottom line is, then go out and beat them. 

• Love 2

In more positive and thankfully non Patriot news, the Saints punter Thomas Morstead's foundation has raised over $100,000 this week as Vikings fans wishing to honor his leadership and sportsmanship in the game on Sunday showed their appreciation with donations. The guy was in massive pain from a rib injury, but was the first guy out of the locker room when he was told they needed 11 guys to "defend" the point after attempt at the end of the game. In return, Morstead is giving all donations received to Minneapolis Children's Hospital and plans to deliver the check in person over Super Bowl weekend. 

• Love 12

So a good number of fans don't like the Patriots, not all of them. Good for you guys- sometimes my rage is so exhausting,  but by being a Bills fan it will always be there. 

I hope the Jags focus as well and not rely on their defense to win. Bortles needs to have another mistake free game for them to have a chance. Here's hoping for a good game.

That Vikings fans and Morstead story is amazing, continuing to show the generosity of NFL fans. Bills fans ended up donating over 360k to Andy Dalton's foundation. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I live in Northern California, and I don't loathe and despise them.

Well, I will say that there are quite a few of Raider Nation who loathe the Pats, “Tuck rule” game will be 17 years old this Friday.  

Having said that, I don’t think the animosity towards the Pats is more than the usual “I hate the dominating dynasty loved by the media” team,  pick your decade.  I still grind my teeth at the annoiting the Cowboys as “American’s team” , WTF?

Then again, if the Pats win their 6th this year, all bets are off, LOL.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6

The Pats are beatable.    Tom Coughlin has done it TWICE.    And where is Coughlin right now?   Oh that's right, he is part of the Jags' staff.   This could be very interesting.    If for some reason, the Jags do not win, expect the NFC Champ to be calling Coughlin for advice.   

I am so looking forward to the games this weekend.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Pats are beatable.    Tom Coughlin has done it TWICE.    And where is Coughlin right now?   Oh that's right, he is part of the Jags' staff.   This could be very interesting.    If for some reason, the Jags do not win, expect the NFC Champ to be calling Coughlin for advice.   

I am so looking forward to the games this weekend.

The funny thing, as far as the playoffs, in particular the SB The Pats always been “beatable”.   When you look at their playoff record they’ve never postseason steamrolled all of their opponents ala  the best Steeler (the iron curtain) , 49r or Cowboy glory days.   Hell they’ve never given the opposing team a beatdown in the SB  as Denver, Seattle , etc have done recently.

Their SB record could just as easily be 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, 6-1, 7-0 take your pick. 

What they are is consistent, making the playoffs, the AFC champ game and reaching 7 Superbowls (so far) in 17 years.  

IF the Jags lose, why would Coughlin who is now“beatable” versus the Pats be called for advice again?  The Giants were certainly beatable in his tenure with the team.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

The funny thing, as far as the playoffs, in particular the SB The Pats always been “beatable”.  

I actually don't think they've ever covered the spread in the SB. Rams doesn't count because they were underdogs, and they got a push against Green Bay back with Parcells but it was at 14.

That's what I think is so interesting about them. Except for the Bengals/49ers, SF crushed everyone and so did the Cowboys. They always had Montana, Rice, Craig, the same defense; it was always Aikman, Smith, Moose, WRs, and Novacek.

It's remarkable how it's literally a different team nearly every year and how they always do just enough.

• Love 2

Ugh, that Bengals/49ers SB in 1989...I was a small child at the time, but I learned two things that day:

1. As a Bengals fan (I was born in Cincinnati), I was always, always going to have my heart ripped out and stomped on by them.  That has proven to be true year in and year out.

2. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and the rest were/are evil, just absolute manifestations of true evil on earth.  I've hated the 49ers ever since, although the beauty that is Jimmy Garoppolo might cause me to reconsider.

• Love 1

#JimmyGQ

I was rooting for the Bengals, but what was brilliant was that everyone thought Montana was going to Rice and Taylor was just wide open. It's like Jordan passing to Paxton.

But really, not that I'm old, but growing up, that's the only closest SB I remember that was close until Rams/Titans.

I’ve been a Giants fan for over thirty years, but if they go home in the playoffs I have to find someone else to root for, and as I was 16 in 1989, that usually meant I latched onto a team with someone who I thought was a hot guy.  That year, I decided it was Eric Thomas, DB for the Bengals.  Ok also Boomer.

I also had a stuffed referee where you could rip off all of his limbs and his head when you were angry.  He came with a whistle but no string so my dad gave me some of his string so the whistle would hang around his neck.

The morning after that SB my mother woke up and Jerry (he was named after Jerry Markbreit, head ref in SB XXI) was tied to the back of the dining room chair by his whistle string with his limbs and head all attached to the wrong area.  I hated the 49ers ever since.  Also Jerry was lost in one of our moves which makes me very sad.

• Love 3
On 1/17/2018 at 0:23 PM, basiltherat said:

That was a wonderful video, especially with the real people.  What kind of jerkwad talking heads wouldn't look up from their scripts and give it a golf clap, just to not be massive tools.  Anyone listening to any of the national announcer teams knows right away who they want to win.

News flash for everyone but the fans -- everyone outside of New England loathes and despises the Pats and are so f-ing sick and tired of them being in or winning playoff games and Super Bowls.  We sometimes even watch and root for the other guys, even though we might not like that team, just because WE ARE SICK AND TIRED of having N.E. shoved down our throats by the media.  I don't even blame the Pats for this, 'cuz Darth Hoodie would rather be left alone to quietly plan world domination.   There's just as much money to be made in a Cinderella story as the same old Pats chokehold.

I live in Hollywood, and I recently learned that Bill Simmons and his The Ringer staff are headquartered nearby me (at the Sunset Gower Studios, fyi), and I'm pretty sure all of them are pro-Patriots (whether they are actually pro-Patriots or not).

Edited by nowandlater
14 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Well, I will say that there are quite a few of Raider Nation who loathe the Pats, “Tuck rule” game will be 17 years old this Friday.  

Having said that, I don’t think the animosity towards the Pats is more than the usual “I hate the dominating dynasty loved by the media” team,  pick your decade.  I still grind my teeth at the annoiting the Cowboys as “American’s team” , WTF?

Then again, if the Pats win their 6th this year, all bets are off, LOL.

Some of us in Northern California loathe and despise the Raiders.  :)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

I live in Hollywood, and I recently learned that Bill Simmons and his The Ringer staff are headquartered nearby me (at the Sunset Gower Studios, fyi), and I'm pretty sure all of them are pro-Patriots (whether they are actually pro-Patriots or not).

Yeah but Simmons doesn’t count because he’s from Boston and is a total homer for all Boston teams.

• Love 2