Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Yikes; I take the second quarter off to watch something else, and the Raiders wind up giving the game away and never taking it back.  It's still a better season than I've enjoyed in a long time, but losing to the Chiefs?  Blech. 

With JPP out on defense, and the danger the Giants offense will play as poorly as it has the last couple of games, the upcoming game against Dallas threatens to make this a bad football weekend for me!

• Love 3

I wonder if the offenses couldn't get anything going in the second half because it must have been so cold out there. The football must have been a block of ice. Would have been a nice win for the Raiders but hope they still win the division. 

My question about Travis Kelce dancing in front of Marquette King is why was Kelce on punt coverage?  That seems dangerous for a player as important to the offense as he is.

Then again, the Giants send OBJ out to return kicks which I think is foolish so what do I know.

The Chiefs did look good last night and the media keeps bringing up their 20-3 regular season streak, but I remember what they looked like in their last playoff game.  Let's see what KC does in week 18 or 19.

• Love 1

Unlike most of the others teams playing at Gillette (Baltimore excluded), Kansas City actually had a fair chance of beating the Patriots.  Like all the others, including the Ravens, they lost there.  But it wasn't the blowout I figured it would be.  I can't remember off the top of my head the point-differential for New England in their postseason games in Foxborough, but I think it might be up there amongst the best

I was worried for Kansas City there last night.  It's like they kept saying no thanks to first place, but that defense really held Oakland to nothing (scoring opportunities came from brutal turnovers).  The Raiders defense wasn't really there; can't say they shut out the Chiefs more than the Chiefs missing out.  Speaking of missing out, I guess we'll see the aftermath of Derrick Johnson's fall.  The road to Houston in February should go through Arrowhead if Kansas City wins out, so that will be rather tough for anyone (might be the AFC version of CenturyLink)

• Love 1

Is there a chance in hell that the Cleveland Browns may actually win a game today? They play the sucky Bengals today at home. I'm not a Browns fan & they're somewhat rootable (unlike the Cowboys), but the 2008 Detroit Lions (thank you Rod Marinelli) are feeling very lonely being the king of NFL futility (0-16) & it is the only reason to even watch that game today. Plus, it might snow in Cleveland today. 

If Cleveland doesn't get it done today I don't think it's happening this year.  RGIII returns and if it's a legit return, that should help.  Similar to how Cincy plays Baltimore tough, Cleveland plays Cincy tough as well.  People saying their trying so hard, more than the Jets, but the Jets won several games this year, including one in Cleveland

If the Browns go 0-16, people think Hue would be safe.  Thing is I can't defend him or criticize Haslam for booting him, and it's not the first time they fired someone after one year.  Whoever loses to Cleveland might lose its coach before next season. Less likely though if that win comes on New Year's Day

My grandpa was not a football fan, but if a game was being played where it was snowing or pissing with rain, he was in.  In his final couple of years, when he could still live alone but needed a daily visit for various things, my mom and I would take turns; I'd take Sundays during football season and hope I could find a foul weather game to entertain him with.  He's been gone nearly 15 years now, but when we see a particularly ugly field, my parents and I will always say, "Grandpa would have loved this game."

I'm watching Washington/Philadelphia, but it's all just killing time until the Giants face the Cowboys tonight.  I'm going to my parents' house for dinner, and we'll be eating on TV trays rather than at the dining room table, because I'm not missing a down of that game.  I'm nervous - if the offense isn't profoundly different than it has been the past couple of games, I'm going to need a lot of wine.

• Love 8

Jets owner could be named ambassador

While his team has struggled on the field in 2016, Jets owner Woody Johnson recently received some good news.

According to several reports, Johnson is a leading contender to be the United States ambassador to the United Kingdom. President-elect Donald Trump has not yet made his choices public, but Johnson was a noted contributor to Trump.  While it would not be an unprecedented post for an NFL owner, it does create legitimate questions that could have a drastic impact on his team during his tenure -- if Johnson gets the job.

According to a source informed of such matters, the expectation would be for Johnson to conclude it would not be "practical" to run the team on a day-to-day basis. That opens up the real possibility that someone else could be operating the team in an important 2017 offseason and beyond. He has owned the team since 2000.  In addition, Johnson would almost certainly resign from NFL committees on which he currently serves. He's on the NFL's Media Committee, Finance Committee, and Business Ventures Committee

In 2009, Dan Rooney was named US Ambassador to Ireland.  He gave up his duties on NFL committees, but had already handed over most control of the Steelers to son, Art Rooney II.

Edited by Moose135
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I'm watching Washington/Philadelphia, but it's all just killing time until the Giants face the Cowboys tonight.  I'm going to my parents' house for dinner, and we'll be eating on TV trays rather than at the dining room table, because I'm not missing a down of that game.  I'm nervous - if the offense isn't profoundly different than it has been the past couple of games, I'm going to need a lot of wine.

Lol...Im heading downtown to a bar to watch the game with one of my friends....who's a Cowboys fan.  Should be interesting.  Its flurrying a little bit here...not sure what its like in NJ but I doubt its that much different.  We'll see what the weather is like come game time. 

I wasn't able to watch the game, but: how on Earth did Marcus Mariota go 6-20 passing and yet the Titans still beat the Broncos? o.O

Ooh, as a Broncos fan who had a rare opportunity to watch my team, I can answer that. In the first half the Titans ran all over the Broncos defense, and our offense couldn't get a first down to save their lives. The Titans were also helped by a fumble by Justin Forsett (recently claimed off the waiver wire by the Broncos - not that I can be too hard on him since he still looked better than Devontae Booker, who missed blitz pick-ups and continually ran right into the teeth of the defense). The Titans put up all 13 of their points in the first half.

In the second half, the Broncos defense locked down, helped by the Titans coaches inexplicably, repeatedly calling passing plays on third and short. The Broncos corners absolutely blanketed the Titans receivers - I think Mariota completed one pass, and even that required a perfect throw and a great catch against extremely tight coverage by Aquib Talib. On offense, the Broncos abandoned all pretense of their useless running game and just let Trevor Siemian, Emmanuel Sanders, and DT go to work. They marched up and down the field pretty much at will, and they were driving toward at least a tying score (they had the wind at their backs, and I would have felt good about McManus's chances with a field goal of 60 yards) when tight end A.J. Derby (recently acquired in a trade from the Patriots) fumbled to end the game.

But maybe the most exciting play of the game was when the Broncos converted with a pass on a fake punt to get their comeback momentum started. Broncos punter Riley Dixon throws a nice spiral. I can't remember the last time the Broncos used a fake punt - didn't know we even had one in the playbook.

Edited by Pepperclove

Aaron Rodges does not lose at Lambeau in December.    

Let's not even discuss the Jets.   You know who is worse?   The Browns.   Manziel is still the last QB to win a game for the Browns.

Poor Dolphins finally get going and Tannehill is injured.   Also, feel bad for Melvin Gordon, 3 yards short of 1000 rushing on the season and he goes down.

Best tweet of the day:  Steelers:  We've officially run out of Le'Veon Bell scoring a TD graphics.   

Finally, In Dak We Trust.

Edited by merylinkid
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

This Packers fan cannot believe we beat the Seahawks. Who is this team and where have they been? It was a pick-off party today in Lambeau

Neither can this Packers fan.  I've had a miserable week (is there anything more depressing than a funeral in December?) and thought/hoped the Packers could maybe eke out a win.  Never thought they would win by 4 TDs.  A couple of those picks weren't Wilson's fault; his receivers had a miserable day, twice tipping the ball up into the air for easy picking.  But Wilson was also off-target a lot; several times missed wide open receivers.  It

• Love 1

Al Michaels must have money on the Cowboys.  Hey Al, that veiled contempt in your voice when you talk abut the Giants really isn't that veiled.  and this Cowboys team you've been giving the tongue bath all night has only managed to put 7 points on the scoreboard nearly 3 quarters in. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

I was at the game and it was a lot of fun (for Steeler fans) and not that cold.

Layers!

That's awesome! You got to witness Le'Veon go off in person. I'm slightly jealous. On the other hand, I didn't change out of my pajamas today.

Hoping the Giants' defense plays like this against the Lions next week and keep the pressure on the Cowboys, so they don't rest anyone when they play the Lions the following week.  Or so says this Packers fan! 

• Love 1

Wow...I cant believe the Giants pulled this one out.  Just when im about to write them off they go and beat one of the best teams of the year (and keep our own playoff hopes alive).  Still dont like what our offense is doing (or not doing).  How many times did we give the ball away...and how manh more were potential give aways?  At least our D is legit.  Maybe next year we can get both sides of the ball clicking in the same season.

• Love 2

Well, first time Zeke lost on the road in quite a while.  Looks like the rookie wall hit, but man, with JPP out I thought it was not meant to be.  With that win, the worry for the NFC isn't as high, IMO.  It probably would make it a flip as of now for the AFC if it's New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh & Denver with defense & experience.  Not sure about Kansas City, but momentum would be there vs Dallas (if the Cowboys get to Houston) should the Chiefs knock off their AFC foes

59 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Maybe next year we can get both sides of the ball clicking in the same season.

Right?  Last season, the defense kept me in a state of perpetual disgust, and this season they're completely reliable -- while the offense has me tearing my hair out.

So excited by this win; whatever else happens, we beat the Cowboys twice.

• Love 6

Oh Dallas, you had one thing to do- embarrass the Giants in front of a national audience. Eli looked terrible at times- good for them that their defense showed up. If the Giants get one of the wild card spots and make it far enough, their matchup with Dallas would be very interesting. 

• Love 1

That was a great performance by the Giants. 

On the other hand, the Colts sucked yesterday.  Two years in a row, playoffs on the line at home vs. the Texans and they blow it.   The team is going nowhere until coaching and GM changes. 

Not that the Texans played particularly well.  It was a pretty bad game to watch from two teams that both needed that game. 

9 hours ago, Popples said:

That's awesome! You got to witness Le'Veon go off in person. I'm slightly jealous. On the other hand, I didn't change out of my pajamas today.

We also got to see Littlebitsofrubbergate!

• Love 1

A lot of interesting things happened yesterday as we are getting closer to playoff time. The Giants defense did a really good job yesterday of holding the Cowboys to a low scoring game and getting the win. Though, they also had a low scoring game themselves and Eli keeps making errors that could end up being costly to the team down the line. I am interested in seeing what happens in the last few games for both of these teams. The division is still technically up for grabs and they both have games coming up with teams that are really heating up right now. 

I also think that some in the media are overreacting to the Cowboys losing. Some of them are now calling for Tony to start calling, being overly critical of Dez etc... 

Also, I think that the Colts/Broncos are in trouble. The Colts really struggled yesterday and just couldn't do enough to get a much needed win to stay alive in their division. The play calling for one of the last plays of that game was poor decision for the Colts. 

The Broncos couldn't squeak out a win against the Titans even when Marcus wasn't playing that well. I wonder what is going to happen to the Broncos being that they are in a tough division and have some tough games on the schedule left. 

And I am glad to see the Lions/Bucs continue to do well. They are coming alive at a very good time. And the Packers are keeping their playoff chances alive with the winning streak they have going on now.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

On the other hand, the Colts sucked yesterday.  Two years in a row, playoffs on the line at home vs. the Texans and they blow it.   The team is going nowhere

The invoice for playoff tickets came in the mail today. 

52 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to ESPN The Rams have just fired Jeff Fisher. I guess that blowout loss they had against the Falcons was too much even for them.

Edited 42 minutes ago by Jx223.

Didn't they just sign him to an extension?  Talk about buyer's remorse?!?  I can't believe he has had a head coaching job this long.

• Love 3

Well, we nearly went the entire 2016 season sans a midterm boot. While it was an obvious choice, it wasn't Rex Ryan either. For now.  Kinda of wished that Los Angeles would have kept Jeff Fisher long enough to break Dan Reeves' record on Thursday at Seattle. I guess maybe they can get Hue Jackson down there, because getting fired this year by Cleveland is "not the wrong choice there"!

In better news, nothing too serious for Tannehill. Based on the time of year and where Miami is at overall, however, Ryan is likely done anyway, but would be ready for Training Camp next year